The New Mayor Reports for Duty

It seems a little strange for me to "introduce" myself to Redskins Insider readers. I've contributed to our growing online community for almost two years and have had the privilege of breaking bread with some of you. But a lineup change occurred because my former partner on the beat and the driving force behind this blog since its inception, Jason "The Rising Media Star" La Canfora, bolted for the bright lights of the NFL Network.

Judging from reading your comments, my life story is well known to many, which probably is the result of Cindy Boren's updates on my family life. My wife, Tenecia, is the best thing that ever happened to me and our children, Joshua and Maya, are the greatest blessings of my life. After 15 years at the L.A. Times, I came to the Post because then-Sports Editor Emilio Garcia-Ruiz, one of my former editors in L.A., wouldn't stop bugging me. And Emilio just got a big-time promotion at the paper, which is further proof good things happen for those who are down with "The Mayor."

I spent many years covering baseball and basketball, and I'm almost as passionate about USC football (the real one, not the one in South Carolina) as you all are about a certain team that plays at FedEx Field. I was the day-to-day guy the past two seasons, focusing on writing stories for the paper while La Canfora led our overall coverage here. That's a thumbnail sketch/refresher about me. I've been away from work for a while, so I probably needed to write this even if La Canfora hadn't left the building. You'll notice I didn't say I was "off," because dumping Diaper Genies daily, working the midnight to 4 a.m. shift with Maya and trying to keep Joshua away from my BlackBerry and laptop kept me busy.

In his farewell blog post, Jason strongly endorsed me as his successor and the person who reaches out to you with news, analysis and, hopefully, insight about the Skins, which means a lot to me. He created something, with the support of Cindy and small contributions from others such as myself, that became a staple of The Post's Skins coverage and essential reading for any true Skins fan. My buddy left some big shoes to fill. I hope to follow him with distinction.

Although I might take a different approach with my writing, the principles that guide this blog and The Post's standards will not change. We are a 24/7 news operation that values accuracy and fairness above all else. And personally, I hate making mistakes. I plan to continue to lean on Cindy, who is second to none at getting things going on the Web. Barry Svrluga, the other holdover on the beat, is one of the best writers remaining in the daily newspaper business and someone whose counsel I seek. Paul "The Kid" Tenorio showed he's ready to take another big step while filling in for me and has become an important part of our reconfigured team. Rick Maese is the rookie on the beat and we plan to keep him busy. My guy at Comcast SportsNet, Andy Siegel, and all of our friends there help us reach Skins fans through our involvement in "Washington Post Live With Ivan Carter" and "SportsNite," which we really appreciate.

Matt Vita, the Post's new sports editor, has entrusted me with one of the most important jobs on our staff. His confidence in me means a lot. Most of all, however, I move into this new role with a feeling of responsibility because of all of you. When I accepted an offer to join The Post, Emilio said to me, "Get ready. You've never done anything like covering the Skins for The Washington Post." I had done a bunch of big stuff in L.A., so I thought Emilio was just getting a little carried away. I quickly learned, though, that this fan base is unlike any I had previously encountered. For guys such as PDiddy and NateinthePDX, I think you know I'll do my best to stay on top of this thing that's so important to you.

I'm working on a few things for the blog and newspaper, but I'm not planning to post much in the next few days. I will, however, be up to full speed when camp opens Thursday. For now, that's it from The Mayor. Later on, my friends.

By Jason Reid  |  July 26, 2009; 3:31 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn on Jarmon: 'He's Studying the Weight Room'
Next: Zorn, for One, Is 'Ready to Go'

Comments

That's fantastic news. I've always enjoyed your posts, in particular, and I'll become a regular reader of the blog again.

Have enjoyed PT's posts recently too.

Congratulations Jason!

Posted by: chill | July 26, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Mr. Mayor!

Not only is this blog "essential reading" for Skins fans, but a daily fix I can't do without.

Posted by: Curzon417 | July 26, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I believe everyone was very pleased with PT filling in, but it will be good to have "The Mayor" keeping us filled in. Good stuff.

Posted by: rich20ssu | July 26, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Mexico.

Posted by: Vicc | July 26, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

"Although I might take a different approach with my writing"

Posted by: p1funk | July 26, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Happy to have you at the helm, Mayor. Just don't go all "Marion Barry" on us.
But also, don't be afraid to be controversial. Part of what makes this blog great is that it is for Skins fans who are already in the know. Personally, I don't like reading the articles because 80% of them are things that a major skins fan knows already. Give us that edgier stuff. And good luck!

Posted by: mikeyvanilli | July 26, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Random Question:

Is the Mayor on speaking terms with the Skins' Exec VP of Football Operations?

Posted by: p1funk | July 26, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Jason.

Step #1 - Sign for twitter (if you haven't already) and then follow me. twitter.com/ahr19.
**Note that Cindy and I (among other skins fans) converse during games and it makes the games bearable. See her for a reference.

Step #2 - Since I am out in LA, work with us to plan a nice meetup for the San Diego game this season.

Step #3 - Be you.

Looking forward to it!

Posted by: Levelheadedskinsfan19 | July 26, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Random answer, P1funk: Yes.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | July 26, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

If you are a GOP fan suggesting we start with the "stupid" smack, my advice would be, Don't go there girlfren'.

Granted, Obama made a verbal faux pas. call me when he has four or five books worth of Obamaisms.

Posted by: TheCork | July 26, 2009 2:47 PM |

My fren, you're in a forest looking at trees. GOP fan? "stupid" smack? Verbal faux pas? Hardelly. It's all about "No Drama" Obama finally snapping and (as a previous poster so perceptively put it) letting his inner RedDMV out. The angry, vicious, nasty one. Proving that he is human like the rest of us.

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | July 26, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

YAHOO!

Posted by: Keyskonnection | July 26, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Jason! I did not realize you were also a USC guy! Fight on!!!! I've been a fan of the Trojans since Rodney Peete's days (I think I liked them then because I was like ten years old and the team colors were Redskin-esque, but I fell in love with the tradition). I strongly encourage you to feel free to annoy the USC haters on RI (who no doubt all think the Terps and Hokies are the only college teams that matter)with occasional blurbs/love for my beloved Trojans. Prediction: Matt Barkley leads Southern Cal to a surprising 14 point win at the Horseshoe in September!

P.S. - Hate to say it but trading up to get Sanchez in April would have been a huge mistake for the Skins - JC17 is the man.

Posted by: TheNewTruth | July 26, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

Jasno told you about our arrangement, right? You're down with that? I get $3.50 per Post with a bonus of $1.50 on Saturdays and before 9:00 AM when the blog is slow. Payday is the first of each month. Cindy keeps track of my posts.

Looking forward to building on the good things we've put together,

Sincerely,

talent_evaluator

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 26, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Welcome!

Posted by: ItsOver1 | July 26, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Salutations and congratulations to you, Jason Reid, and the rest of the team.

What better way to celebrate the blog's third birthday than with a shiny happy reboot?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | July 26, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

A little disappointed that there would be a long post about the Skins and The Mayor and there was not a single Stanley Richards reference, step it up Reid.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | July 26, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

No worries, JReid.

Our fan base is just passionate!

Congrats and good luck.

Posted by: RedCherokee | July 26, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Mr Mayor, welcome to hell and you better be good. Skins fans are a little crazy!

Posted by: abxinc | July 26, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Dang!
Is the blog three already, boy they grow up fast, don't they?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | July 26, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Congrats!! Can't wait for the season to start!

Posted by: theredskin | July 26, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Congrats and God Bless...Compton never had a chance , though.. (the Crips- moved product nationwide for Ollie North, from their base in LA: government distribution unit..still is)..I always liked USC, they rawk..

Posted by: frak | July 26, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

I am getting excited!!! I really think this year we are going to surprise everyone. Not the usual turnover that we have had lately. We have the same Head Coach, same QB, same Offensive and Defensive Coordinators and assistants, 16 or 17 returning starters from a team that was 8-8 but played a pretty tough schedule against some brutal defenses.
Our schedule is not much easier but i see:

11-5 babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Posted by: BarackObama | July 26, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

petey wheatstraw, I'm one of those people who has consigned The Sheriff and most of his teammates from that era to the deep recesses of my memory. A bleak time.

Unlike 4th Floor and other young'uns for whom the late 90s were "the glory years" for Skins fans.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | July 26, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about the rest of you, but when Gibbs '92 Super Bowl team won, it was a deeper psychic victory because the victory wasn't in a strike year. Although stoned beer distributors might have told you, "Hey, they were the proven best team at the time. Isn't that what it's all about??"
But I was SOOOO disappointed with that loss to the Raiders in the Super Bowl, we were the highest scoring offense in NFL history and we lost to the doped up Raiders, damn...And Riggins showed up with a hangover, damn...(though in all fairness, everybody was on drugs in the 80's)..

Posted by: frak | July 26, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Welcome to your very own blog masthead Jason :-) You've got a serious, "You're really not going to believe what Dan Snyder just did" look on your face :-)

Posted by: PDiddy | July 26, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Welcome Mr.Reid,I'll look forward to reading your posts as much as I did the other, now departed Jason.

Trainging camp starts this week!!

My favorite time of year is fast approaching!

Can you beleive it? You'll be able to watch NFL football on TV soon! I'm jonesing for a preseason game, hell even a scrimmage!

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 26, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

..and 90's..

Posted by: frak | July 26, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

..and zeros..

Posted by: frak | July 26, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I understand the sports bans on cancerous steroids, and life and soul destroying crystal meth (why do the dealers always have to be vets?? kill,kill,kill), but there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with cannabis, except that its Prohibition raises profits for the Elites in control...

Calling out "PERVERT" in public or sports events is also a form of Nazi control, as it creates social and sexual uncertainty and makes the herd easier to manage, keep 'em dumb, terrified, and confused...

Posted by: frak | July 26, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

so frak, what drug are you under the influence of now?

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 26, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

smoking weed can led to paranoid ramblings, delusional thoughts, and strange blog posts

e.g. see frak

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 26, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

There is only one....

..Budweiser!!!

Posted by: frak | July 26, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

sure it isn't crack?

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 26, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Crack is old hat..Did my time with that idiocy, waste...10 minutes of euphoria followed by chasing ghosts all night...TThough have put several rocks in to attempt suicide in more psychotic days..Total waste, drink beer instead, ten dolla catch you a decent buzz, more manageable,,

Posted by: frak | July 26, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

also congrats to jreid

T minus 82 hours and counting

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 26, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back Jason.

Posted by: TWISI | July 26, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

love NFLN

watching AFC Championship game - looks like Steelers might win

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 26, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad to hear they gave the post to a professional. Looking forward to your insight Mr. Reid.

Posted by: BMACattack | July 26, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know whne the season tickets are coming? We always have gotten them by now...the first preseason game is in 18 days. Anyone gotten theirs yet or know when they are sending them out?

Posted by: leevi98 | July 26, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

T minus 81 hours and counting

Soylent green is people

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 26, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

T minus 81 hours and counting

Life clocks are a lie! There is no renewal!

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 26, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

T minus 81 hours and counting

Doesn't anything work around here? Shutdown! Shutdown immediately.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 26, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

leevi98,

I haven't received my tickets yet either. My guess is they'll show up some time this week. The season starts real late this year and based on the number of "upgrades" that friends of mine got, tons of fans dropped their tickets (a friend went from 400s to section 126 and last year was his first as a season ticket holder). That might have delayed the ticket processing a little if they had a larger number of new ticket holders this year (even though the wait list is...blah blah blah).

Can't believe it's almost time again...

Posted by: Section104 | July 26, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

thanks for the info....I was going to call tomorrow cause we usually have already have them...was starting to worry that something happened.

i was offered an upgrade...well sort of....I'm in section 112 row 15...they are good seats. We have had them for 47 years. they offered me what i though was an upgrade. turns out...They would NOT let me move only add to my account! The seats were definitely better so i was going to go ahead and do it if they would work with me since it was last minute and not in the budget. they would not work with me...wanted payment...so I said no thanks!

Posted by: leevi98 | July 26, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Way to go, Mr. Reid. I'm looking forward to reading your posts...

Posted by: jambach | July 26, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

This day in RI
A Jason for a Jasno
Congratulations

Posted by: mvdame | July 27, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Ha! A friend of mine was offered an upgrade, which turned out to be an offer to get club seats. He's in lower bowl right near you and would have been crazy to move up. I had a couple calls from the ticket office but didn't return them. If it ain't broke...

Posted by: Section104 | July 27, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Congrats to the Mayor. May his term be glorious, and his work insightful.

Posted by: hobbes9 | July 27, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

A new Jason - The Mayor - maybe it's time to come back to the hamster cage and let go of the little thunder cloud that has hung over me as a fan since last season.

Bring out the Kool Aid and let the dream begin again!

Posted by: sfskin | July 27, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

In the end there can be only one.

Posted by: sfskin | July 27, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Jason Reid: "Although I might take a different approach with my writing, the principles that guide this blog and The Post's standards will not change. We are a 24/7 news operation that values accuracy and fairness above all else."

Dude - stringing the 1st and 2nd sentences together constitutes a non sequitur. But let's let bygones be bygones, turn the page and make a fresh, clean new start. Congrats on being made the "face" of RI and I look forward to reading the RI blogs.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | July 27, 2009 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Welcome to the blog helm, Jason!

Posted by: freakzilla | July 27, 2009 1:37 AM | Report abuse

Jason,
Hail! ...and like such as...

Posted by: _Stumped_ | July 27, 2009 1:40 AM | Report abuse

Shout out to Zilla...
Good to see you're up past your bedtime and dreaming of sweet Redskins victories.

Salute.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | July 27, 2009 1:41 AM | Report abuse

Once upon a time, the sun never set on the RI empire, but while those days are gone, camp will soon be opening.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | July 27, 2009 1:47 AM | Report abuse

Renew! Renew!

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | July 27, 2009 2:25 AM | Report abuse

This from ESPN: " Keep your eye on a free-agent receiver named Trent Shelton who has bounced around the league on a couple of practice squads. If Thomas and Kelly are slow out of the gate, Shelton has the type of heart and determination to make them pay. Remember you heard it here first." ESPN gives this guy a nice blurb in its Skins camp preview and he is a virtual unknown on this blog. Go figure.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | July 27, 2009 3:11 AM | Report abuse

Glad to have you! I have no idea what to expect from the Redskins on the field, so it's nice to be assured of a quality product from the media end. Also hope we'll get to hear you on non-Snyder-owned radio from time to time.

Posted by: drischord | July 27, 2009 3:51 AM | Report abuse

Congrats, Jason. I think you would have won us all over if that last line were "stay thristy, my friends".

Anyone listening to the new format on WJFK? I'm up in PA and don't get to hear it, just wondering how it compares to AM-980. I heard LaVar wasn't pulling any punches his first day on the job.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 27, 2009 5:48 AM | Report abuse

Do my orbs deceive me? An mvdame sighting? Great to see a lot of familiar names up here as the blog soon turns, gasp, 3. Hard to believe (how many comments, dame?) it's not a baby anymore. It's walking and talking...next up, potty training.
Now for fubball. Shelton has the po to be a great story. His tweets (@trentshelton) are must reading. Steinbog has posted on him a couple of times this summer.

Posted by: CindyBoren | July 27, 2009 5:57 AM | Report abuse

Do my orbs deceive me?

Posted by: CindyBoren | July 27, 2009 5:57 AM

What has the new mayor done to the village? He's got the City Attorney and her orbs reporting for work before 6:00 am. Usually only the Village Idiots -- me and Brownwood -- are on duty by then.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 27, 2009 6:28 AM | Report abuse

Finally...something T_E and I agree on.

Hopefully this mayor doesn't go all Marion Berry on us...

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 27, 2009 6:30 AM | Report abuse

In my best Goldie Wilson voice:

Mayor? Mayor Jason Reid. I like the sound of that!

Posted by: Original_etrod | July 27, 2009 6:33 AM | Report abuse

What if....

Snyder got his was and training camp was beginning with Cutler or Sanchez at QB?

There would be no Orakpo, probably no Barnes, and no first round pick next year.

But, I'm betting that those of us prophesizing 11-5 would still be at 11-5, 8-8 at 8-8, etc. We'd just have slightly different twists on what will go right, what will go wrong.

And, we'd all be happy that Jason Reid is the new Mayor.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 27, 2009 6:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 27, 2009 6:47 AM

True. I still don't get why people think Cutler is gonna be so good in Chicago...he's got worse weapons there than he would have in Washington. At least the Skins have Cooley and Moss...the Bears leading receiver last year was a running back and their best WR is a converted CB. I'll be shocked if he puts up numbers in that offense.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 27, 2009 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Congrats Mayor. I know you will do a great job. I am so ready for Thursday.

Posted by: jm220 | July 27, 2009 7:18 AM | Report abuse

Finally...something T_E and I agree on.

Hopefully this mayor doesn't go all Marion Berry on us...

Posted by: brownwood26 |

LMAO! B you know that was wrong.

Posted by: jm220 | July 27, 2009 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Congrats and best of luck!

Posted by: hotrod11 | July 27, 2009 7:35 AM | Report abuse

It will be good to have an insider who can actually talk to the people on the inside. Remember to be good to Cindy B, she is the glue that holds this whole RI thing together. Congrats and good luck.

Posted by: Predator48 | July 27, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Welcome aboard, Mr. Mayor. Looking forward to reading your blogs. God bless you and your family.

Posted by: stwasm | July 27, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse

This love affair with J Reid on here is hilarious...the first time he says something LaCanfora-esque, the blog will turn on him quicker than T.O. turns on his QB. Gotta love RI Nation...

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 27, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations Jason,
If I can give you two pieces of advice.
1) Please don’t let every other word be from an unnamed source. ( makes us think you are making it up )
2) Don’t call the NFL offices to report anything. ( report the news, don’t be the news)

Posted by: kts38 | July 27, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Good Luck from England JReid, we'll be watching from over the pond too,just as we did JLC. Look forward to reading the New Mayor!

Posted by: crimson999 | July 27, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

"The SJK set me up!"

I dont think we'll be hearing this from JR (wtSJK?!? a DALLAS character on the RI Blog?!?).

For those of us who were akskin' PT to 'Brang It', I think we can safely be reminded by the Mayor that 'it's already been broughtn!'

I look forward to your contributions, Jason. Thanks for taking the assignment!!

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 27, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

kts, you forgot one:

3) Don't get into a staring contest with Vinny. He may not win in football, but he's undefeated and still champ in staring contests.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 27, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

And ... sfskin is back! This is just a dandy day.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | July 27, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kts38 | July 27, 2009 8:15 AM

I'll co-sign that. No snitchin' JReid!

Posted by: Predator48 | July 27, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 27, 2009 8:13 AM

So you think we should turn on him before he does a Jasno? We're not like that. We have open minds. We will give him a fair trial and then hang him.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 27, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

B I am hoping he just report the news and not try to be the news.

Posted by: jm220 | July 27, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

It's good to see that Mr. Reid is ready to do his job.

But has Brian Orakpo been signed to do his?

What's the update on his signing anyways?

Just asking.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 27, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Congrats on the baby, and the job Jason, best of luck.

moe, sox are looking at the cat from SD...not sure how I feel about it, depends on what SD is asking for...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 27, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

But has Brian Orakpo been signed to do his?

What's the update on his signing anyways?

Just asking.

Posted by: MistaMoe

With Maclin and Maybin no shows for the start of their camps, it may be getting a little dicey that Orakpo will be there on time. I'm still thinking he'll be ther sometime on Thursday.

Posted by: TWISI | July 27, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

SHELTON, Conn. — Police in Connecticut say they've seized more than 100 canaries and arrested 19 people in connection with a bird fighting operation.

Anyone vouch for Mike Vick's whereabouts this weekend??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 27, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Ahh, last monday Sans skins for 7 months.

Posted by: Gweez | July 27, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Random answer, P1funk: Yes.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | July 26, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Random expression of gratitude:

Thanks, Cindy.

Posted by: p1funk | July 27, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | July 27, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

The media needs a check/balance.

In the Skins universe that takes the form of RI Nation.

Posted by: p1funk | July 27, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

CP?!! wtSJK??!! - I mean, I guess it get's him Rodman style play... but that gets a little too close to:

BUTTERS!!! for my tastes...

ergo - CP's new Character: Crisco! (Cisco meets Butters...)

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 27, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

SportsCenter is saying that the NY DA is going to throw the book at Plaxico Burress and won't settle for anything less than jail time. Plus Antonio Pierce could do time too.

Pierce in prison...one more reason the Skins should've resigned him, right Greg? LOL

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 27, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Good luck, Mr. Mayor - I urge you to try and work with the FO so that we can get real info, not just recycled articles that are in the post or off another outlet.

Really want to know where we are with signings, FO feel for where we stand with who we got and what is the FO goal this year...playoffs, superbowl, dump JC???

Look forward to football season and reading your post.

Posted by: mhartz1 | July 27, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Fighting Canaries? Really, Greg?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | July 27, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

"By this I hope you mean that you won't treat the RI blog like a "Dear Diary" where you dump your personal gripes against the FO on us.Posted by: p1funk"

Damn skippy. RI is for us to dump OUR personal gripes against the FO on YOU.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 27, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I'm just passing along information john, just trying to keep everyone informed.

Trade Mason for Pierce, TODAY!!!

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 27, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I love the Mayor as much as the next hamster ... but I gotta say, the recent P-Ten posts had a distinctly less "Academy Awards acceptance speech feel" to them.

So the underfed hamsters hungering for more Skins news to digest and immediately forget, want to know ... does the WaPo has someone tailing Orakpo's agent, such as?

And can we get some giddy quotes from the giddy quote machines like Smoot or Cooley ... or Mike Sellers?

Posted by: dcsween | July 27, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Again, congrats to JR. I am syced about this D.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 27, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

NGT: Clinton Portis has a new look
Britt in VA : 7/6/2009 12:39 am

Oh no, that yardage-based curse of afflicting all RBs not named Dickerson has hit Portis ... his hair turned gray over the summer ...

Posted by: dcsween | July 27, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Tim: There he is!

King Arthur: Where?

Tim: There!

King Arthur: What? Behind the canary?

Tim: It *is* the canary!

King Arthur: You silly sod!

Tim: What?

King Arthur: You got us all worked up!

Tim: Well, that's no ordinary canary.

King Arthur: Ohh.

Tim: That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered bird you ever set eyes on!

Sir Robin: You tit! I soiled my armor I was so scared!

Tim: Look, that canary's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Sir Galahad: Get stuffed!

Tim: He'll do you up a treat, mate.

Sir Galahad: Oh, yeah?

Sir Robin: You manky Scots git!

Tim: I'm warning you!

Sir Robin: What's he do? Nibble your bum?

Tim: He's got huge, sharp... er... He can leap about. Look at the bones!

King Arthur: Go on, Bors. Chop his head off!

Sir Bors: Right! Silly little bleeder. One canary stew comin' right up!

Posted by: dcsween | July 27, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Oh and count me as one who recalls fond memories from the 90's skins. Even though I remember the last 2 superbowls. NORV will always be the coach of my childhood. LaVar will be the face of the team.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 27, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Thank god. JLC was biased and an a-hole.

Posted by: Hondo5 | July 27, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

The Jason is gone.

Long live the Jason...

Wow lots of old pepes back. It's hard to believe it's been three years since the blog started.

I remember when there were like 8 posts a day and Jasno would respond to all questions. Pdiddy was always the highest total poster per day with like 2.

Posted by: Gweez | July 27, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Gweez,
I think I came in early on, maybe not day one. But Those were the golden years, when not only did the blog have leaders among men, (odd that so many were on the west coast). But JaLaCa was a blogger as well as the head. That was before the dark times before Danny/Vinny&Larry had their war with LaCanforna. then the blog went through the days I will call, the civil war of blogging.

Now we have Part 4 a New Hope. Start the scrolling introduction!

Posted by: alex35332 | July 27, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

A belated beep beep

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | July 27, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Best of Luck, Mayor. I know you will kick informational booty, so I'll give you a pass on the attempt at a slight to the real USC (especially to a grad from this coast).
Just keep calling your team SC like they seem to like and remember: there is no need for a Trojan without a Gamecock.
Peace

Posted by: chucktownCAPSfan | July 27, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Congrats on the promotion and looking forward to reading you daily on RI, through what I hope is not another painful season.

Posted by: rawk | July 27, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

JR, Congrats on becoming the keeper of the flame.

Posted by: Markin21132 | July 27, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Mr. Mayor!

Posted by: AShock | July 27, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Congrats, Jason.

FWIW, this reporting on this page has gone up immensely in the past few months. Hopefully, gone are the days of largely re-posted articles from redskins.com.

Keep up the in-depth reporting. That's what we fans want! Nuggets of Redskin goodness are what gets us through the day!

Posted by: LifelongHog | July 27, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

One thing that JLC did that I hope you continue... give some props to the guys who are not in the skill positions when they have a good game. I remember one game last season where Kedrick Golston had a breakout performance so that even those of us without replay capability could see his good D-line play. JLC called it out and rightly so. Unfortunately, that was the last big game for Golston and so an upgrade was clearly needed. On the other hand, JLC was never able to explain why Golton dominated, at least in that game.. was it due to poor O-line play or perfomance or getting some good stunts.. we never did seem to get an answer...

Posted by: iseyij | July 27, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

"not the one in South Carolina"

You do realize that you're not on the left coast any more, and that SC was firmly in the Skins' traditional home market thanks to the old radio network (and network TV broadcasts until the Panthers showed up).

Way to bond, Mr. Mayor. Say hello to Sara Bellum for me.

Posted by: WorstSeat | July 27, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse