This Week's Challenge: Stopping Jackson

The Redskins limited the New York Giants to 3.3-yard average on 31 rushes in Week 1. Power back Brandon Jacobs had only a 2.9-yard average on 16 rushes. Up next, the St. Louis Rams and big back Steven Jackson. In the Rams' 28-0 loss to the Seattle Seahawks, Jackson had 67 yards and a 4.2-yard average.

If you're a Redskins fan, this is probably the guy who concerns you most. I know the Redskins did a super job against the Giants' top-notch running game - in large part because of the strong performance of Pro Bowl defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth - but Jackson is a dynamic runner.

He has rushed for at least 1,000 yards the last four seasons. He accelerates through holes quickly and can run over or away from defenders. Defensive coordinator Greg Blache definitely is impressed.

"They have one of the best backs in the business," Blache said. "The guy at Minnesota [Adrian Peterson] is off the chart. I put Jackson just underneath him. He is big, strong and fast. He can go the distance every time he touches the football.

"If the hole is not there inside, he will bounce it outside. He can catch passes out of the backfield. I think the guy is a home run hitting type of back."

Haynesworth, who declined to speak with reporters this week, plans to let his performance do the talking. The Redskins need him to speak loudly again.

By Jason Reid  |  September 19, 2009; 11:30 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins Will Go Long -- if That's Smart Move
Next: Special Teams Saturday, with Alexander

Comments

HTTR

Posted by: WRBD | September 19, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

"But we have to be smart."

-Jason Campbell

----------

Why does it seem like Jason Campbell is stuck on the second chapter of the book "Football for Dummies?"

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 19, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Beautiful day.

Posted by: bangkokben | September 19, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Beautiful day.

Posted by: bangkokben | September 19, 2009 11:47 AM

----------

Bono wrote a song about this.

and agreed, wherever you blog from. It's a beautiful day here in Utah as as well.

Is there anywhere in the U.S where it's not a beautiful day to day?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 19, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

In honor of Coach Jim Zen:

----------

It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood,
A beautiful day for a neighbor,
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?

It's a neighborly day in this beautywood,
A neighborly day for a beauty,
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?

I have always wanted to have a neighbor just like you,
I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood with you.

So let's make the most of this beautiful day,
Since we're together, we might as well say,
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?

Won't you please,
Won't you please,
Please won't you be my neighbor?

-----------

I *heart* Jim Zen.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 19, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Please?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 19, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

If you're a Redskins fan, this is probably the guy who concerns you most.

By Jason Reid | September 19, 2009; 11:30 AM ET

Who dat?

Jason Campbell?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 19, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

"Talks at Impasse, N.B.A. Locks Out Referees" By HOWARD BECK

Published: September 18, 2009

Interesting detail here.

I was under the impression there wasn't any officiating during NBA games.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 19, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

In all seriousness, which ain't much these days:

What about Howie Long Jr. (Chris Long,) the RDE for the St. Louis Rams? Haven't heard much from him, but I think he had a modestly productive rookie campaign?

Does he present any challenges for the Redskins?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 19, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Beautiful day.

Posted by: bangkokben | September 19, 2009 11:47 AM

----------

Bono wrote a song about this.

Is there anywhere in the U.S where it's not a beautiful day to day?

Posted by: Chia_Pet
---------------------------

It is beautiful here in LA

There are only three paces in US where it is always UGLY: Philadelphia, Dallas and NY/NJ!

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 19, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Hey peaceful, did you catch my apology to you from the other day?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 19, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

If not, I apologized in the event I ever offended you.

You're not so bad after all, I decided.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 19, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Redskins need to approach this game as if they are going to play Steelers or Patriots.

Play to score on every down, plan to stop them on every down. I know, that is what you are supposed to do anyway, but way too often our beloved Redskins are found sleeping at the wheels.

The Fierce Urgency of Now--is now! A loss or an ugly win can lead to some very nice people losing their jobs. It will also lead many fans to pull out few remaining hairs on their heads.

Coach Zorn, please assign someone to review the game "real-time" and make adjustments "during" the game if possible.

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 19, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

It will also lead many fans to pull out few remaining hairs on their heads.

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 19, 2009 12:36 PM

Sprouts.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 19, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

and mine reseed, not recede.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 19, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Peace Chia

All Hail

We need a nice win, where you can gulp you bottle of (enter Coors, Duvel, Chimmay, Amstel, etc. here) comfortably. One of those wins wherethe palm of yuor hands hurt like hell from Hi-5ing

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 19, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

24 more hours, way too long....

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 19, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

if you re-seed, make sure they are micrografts and not the corn-rows ;-p

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 19, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Peace, love, happiness, prosperity, and good times.

and violent collisions on the football field.

hate that I have to go to a bar to watch the Redskins play tmrw though.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 19, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

"Does he (Howie Long, jr.) present any challenges for the Redskins?"

Very good question.

If I'm the rams, I line him up against Samuels with the idea of making the veteran work.

But again: these are the rams, and Howie Long, jr., is just the son of an NFL Hall of Famer--for now.

We take the redskins 31-21, with one of the 'triplets' getting his first NFL touchdown: Marko Mitchell.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 19, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

It is beautiful here in LA

Posted by: peaceful2008

I live in LA too, and can confirm that when you wrote your post, it was a beautiful day in LA. But it will stink by three when it’s in the mid nineties and smoggy. And next week it’s supposed to be well over 100 in many parts of this godforsaken desert cesspool, and the predicted Santa Anna winds will heighten fire danger.

Posted by: TheCork | September 19, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I can honestly say that it's the only thing I miss about the DC Metro area.

Sonny on Gameday, and George Michael from WRC, but I understand he retired.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 19, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

SICWIDIT'S POLL OF THA' WEEK!

I'm back! Here we go!

1) Where are you with Jason Campbell

a)I still support him, but I'm wavering.
b) I still think JC is this franchise' QB
c) I've seen enough...he ain't got it.
d) I'm week to week on Campbell

2) Which media schlub is the most negative when covering the team?

a) Andy Pollin
b) Tom Boswell
c) Sally Jenkins
d) Jason LaCanfora

3) Do you REALLY believe the locker room is behind Campbell or are there whispers?

a) Nah, they've got his back.
b) Yeah, they say they do, but I don't beleive it.
c) A little of both
d) Mutiny abounds with a loss to the Rams

4 Do you REALLY believe the locker room is behind Zorn or are there whispers?

a) Nah, they've got his back.
b) Yeah, they say they do, but I don't beleive it.
c) A little of both
d) Mutiny abounds with a loss to the Rams

5) Aside from Riggins, who was your favorite Skins RB in the last 25 years?
a) Clinton Portis
b) Earnest Byner
c) George Rogers
d) Stephen Davis
e) Reggie Brooks

6) In the past too seasons that Cerrato has been Exectutive VP of operations, have his personnel moves been:

a) worse than expected
b) about as expected
c) better than expected
d) too early to tell

7) I would run back in my burning house to save these three albums (CD's)

1__________
2__________
3__________

8) Is Jim Zorn:

a) a good coach with perhaps the wrong QB
b) not a good coach
c) a bad coach with the right QB
d) nothing but a QB coach

9) If I had to marry one of these 80's ladies it would have been

a) Linda Carter (Wonder Woman)
b) Catherine Bach (Daisy Duke)
c) Judy Landers (Too Close For Comfort)
d) Victoria Principal (Dallas)
e) Jenna Jamison (if you don't know who she is, never mind)

What was the best ol's skool video game system

a) ColecoVision
b) Atari 2600
c) Intellivision

HAVE AT IT!!!

Posted by: rickyroge | September 19, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I feel so sorry for Jason Campbell. Poor fellow. Could not figure how to go deep on the Giants. Football is such a complicated game. Oh well, hope they are able to figure something out against the Rams. They did not last year.

LarryInClintonMD.

When did Campbell start designing the offense, game planning and calling plays? I love sarcasm, but aim it at the right guy— Head Coach and offensive "Genius" Jim Zorn

Posted by: TheCork | September 19, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Steven Jackson is a big, strong back, who unlike Jacobs last week, is FAST. D.Hall, and L.Landry better wrap this guy up and not whiff and just throw their bodies in his general direction like they did Jacobs last week.

I'm sure Big Albert is going to come to play tommorow and will clog up the middle and help collapse the pocket on Bulger.Hopefully he can get his first sack as a Redskin. We need more than last weeks 1 sack. Maybe Orakpo can get his first NFL sack.(especially if he's allowed to play more of his natural DE position)

JZ needs to call plays for JC to throw the ball down the field,(I don't want to see 1 of those BS WR screens)and get Kelly, Thomas, and Mitchell involded along with Moss.

I hope most of the running plays don't go to the left like last week. Man, that sure makes our run game easy to defend.

When is the last time this team just dominated somebody and just mopped the field with their a##? Even when we were 6-2 last year, every win was close and an edge of the seat nail biter. It seems eons ago when we just beat the sh%t out of somebody and the game was over by the 3rd quarter. We fans deserve such a game from this team tommorow, beleive me, it is well overdue.

Posted by: 72Redskins | September 19, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Cork,

any redeeming aspects to life in So. Cal., other than an IN n Out burger?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 19, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

It is beautiful here in LA

Posted by: peaceful2008

Posted by: TheCork
--------------------

I hear you Cork! Maybe not as bad in Santa Monica. speaking of which, is the game on for us, or do I have to hit Yankee-Doodle/Hooters on the Promenade?

Any suggestions for a good Redskins bar on the West-side?

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 19, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

SICWIDIT'S POLL OF THA' WEEK!

1) Where are you with Jason Campbell

a)I still support him, but I'm wavering.

2) Which media schlub is the most negative when covering the team?

d) Jason LaCanfora

c) A little of both

4 Do you REALLY believe the locker room is behind Zorn or are there whispers?

c) A little of both

5) Aside from Riggins, who was your favorite Skins RB in the last 25 years?

d) Stephen Davis

6) In the past two seasons that Cerrato has been Exectutive VP of operations, have his personnel moves been:

d) too early to tell

7) I would run back in my burning house to save these three albums (CD's)

I won't run back, just order them again on iTunes!

8) Is Jim Zorn:

neither, an OK coach with an OK QB for now.

9) If I had to marry one of these 80's ladies it would have been

I wouldn't marry any of them, might tap a and e though!

What was the best ol's skool video game system

whaaaat?

Posted by: rickyroge

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 19, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

1) Where are you with Jason Campbell

d) I'm week to week on Campbell

----------

2) Which media schlub is the most negative when covering the team?

d) Jason LaCanfora

and I love it.

c) A little of both

----------

4 Do you REALLY believe the locker room is behind Zorn or are there whispers?

c) A little of both

----------

5) Aside from Riggins, who IS your favorite Skins RB in the last 25 years?

a) Clinton Portis

b) about as expected

----------

7) I would run back in my burning house to save these three albums (CD's)

1) Jim Zen:

a) a good coach with perhaps the wrong QB

9) If I had to marry one of these 80's ladies it would have been

a) Linda Carter (Wonder Woman)

I mowed her lawn in Potomac as a kid. Still makes me weak in the knees.

What was the best ol's skool video game system

b) Atari 2600

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 19, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

"Redskins players are soft, and overpaid"

With a big decisive win tommorow are Redskins can put that type of comment to rest.

Man up, rise up, and hit the field ready to knock the sh%t out of somebody Redskins and dominate and beat the hell out of these bums officially known as the St Louis Rams.

Posted by: 72Redskins | September 19, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

"But we have to be smart."

-Jason Campbell

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 19, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Translation:

"I'm going to check down to the safest most conservative throw possible as soon as possible".

Posted by: p1funk | September 19, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I heart Jahvid Best. Not only is he a good runner, he catches the ball well, and he is also a willing pass pro blocker. Also, it seems to me that he is always helping his team mate up off the ground which to me is an indication of his character

Posted by: TWISI | September 19, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

On our first O possession tommorow I don't want to see 3 and out. That will be a disapointment.

Posted by: 72Redskins | September 19, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I mowed her lawn in Potomac as a kid.

Chia-pet

----

figuratively or literally ?

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 19, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

ASHBURN, Va. -- Redskins cornerback Fred Smoot has been downgraded to questionable for Washington's game against the St. Louis Rams.

Smoot first appeared on the injury report Friday as probable with a rib injury. The Redskins haven't said how the injury occurred.

Smoot is Washington's third cornerback, used primarily in nickel packages with starters DeAngelo Hall and Carlos Rogers.

If Smoot can't play on Sunday, second-year player Justin Tryon will likely see more playing time.

Posted by: saltine182 | September 19, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Media has Haynesworth pissed.....

I hope that's a good thing!

What happened to Marcus Washington?

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 19, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Jim Zorn better call the right FN plays tommorow and stop being a wuss!!!!!!

Posted by: jiza32 | September 19, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

During the Cal/Minn game, Bob Griese was talking about the QB/WR relationship he had with Warfield. He said that because Warfield was always doubled, they would always run a route as if he doubled. So Warfield would run the route differently if he was high/lowed or rolled to. I'm not sure if the skins do this with Moss, but giving the team's difficulty with Moss being doubled I doubt it.

Posted by: TWISI | September 19, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm in the mood for...

roast lamb.

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 19, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: TWISI | September 19, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

The thing about Albert is that at Tennessee he played about half the snaps. I understand last week he was around 70%. Hopefully the other guys can give him more of a blow this time around.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 19, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse