Tough Roster Choices Lie Ahead

Although many of us "experts" in the media supposedly have figured out the opening 53-man roster, coaches apparently think they still have some work to do.

Contrary to popular belief, offensive coordinator Sherman Smith said, there still are tough choices to be made. Many players will have a lot on the line in the final preseason game against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"It's not as clear-cut as some may think it is," Smith said. "We definitely have guys were looking at, and situations we're looking at. There are a lot of variables you have to look at.

"It's not just offense and defense. You also have to look at special teams and how guys may fit in down the road. There are a lot of things that go into the decisions."

Hopefully, players will make it difficult for coaches to decide, Smith said.

"I hope it's hard," he said. "I don't want it to be easy. I want guys to play so well that it makes our jobs tougher. I expect them to play well. Guys know this is their opportunity to make the team. They better play well."

By Cindy Boren  |  September 3, 2009; 7:00 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Making a Case for Rock Cartwright
Next: Kelly Says He's Ready to Go

Comments

Game day! Kickoff's @ 7:30 tonight. My wife and kids are arriving @ Dulles @ 8:00. They've got to go through customs. Anyone gonna be out there and can give 'em a ride back into town? I hate to ask 'em to pay for a taxi.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 3, 2009 7:05 AM | Report abuse

almost first!

Posted by: cgshelton | September 3, 2009 7:06 AM | Report abuse

almost first!

Posted by: cgshelton | September 3, 2009 7:06 AM

aka second. When you're not the first dog in the pack, the view never changes.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 3, 2009 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Okay,

who will look better tonight?

Colt or Chase

Aldridge or Dorsey

Kelly or Thomas

Suisham or Rayner

Final score prediction,

Skins 24 Jags 20

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | September 3, 2009 7:14 AM | Report abuse

I'll tell you an easy choice: Chase over Colt at QB. Do that and go from there.

And T_E, your award for Husband and Father of the Year is hereby revoked.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

who will look better tonight?

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | September 3, 2009 7:14 AM

Colt or Chase -- Chase

Aldridge or Dorsey -- Aldrige

Kelly or Thomas -- Kelly

Suisham or Rayner -- Draw (Same kicker, different names)

Skins 27 Jags 13

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 3, 2009 7:21 AM | Report abuse

And T_E, your award for Husband and Father of the Year is hereby revoked.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2009 7:19 AM

That reward is so overrated. You've got to work your butt off. Last year I was Au Pair of the Year and that job sucked.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 3, 2009 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, who cares about the score of tonight's game? I couldn't care less if we lose 40-7, as long as that 7 goes on the board with the starters in on the opening drive, I'm straight.

F the score, just don't get anyone hurt.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2009 7:38 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure I'm rattling cages here, but the Vikes are reportedly shopping Tarvaris Jackson. Anyone interested in seeing him in burgundy and gold?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2009 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Anyone interested in seeing him in burgundy and gold?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2009 7:40 AM

Yes. His agent.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 3, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse

brown, no thanks, on TJ, what would that accomplish?

te, what is there no public transportation where you live?? You don't have a bus, or a train they could take??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 3, 2009 7:05 AM | Report abuse

No problem. Just tell them to look for the guy in the trenchcoat standing next to the windowless van.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 3, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

A couple of things.

1. We are a week from the start of the season and the lead Skins story is about the team suing people. Come on Post that is a story that should have been done back in may or april.

2. Make out of tonight's game with no injuries

Posted by: jm220 | September 3, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

brown, no thanks, on TJ, what would that accomplish?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 7:49 AM

It would give the Skins a viable option as a #2 QB for this year, probably your starter for next year when they let JC go. T Jack is probably better than whatever else will be out there in free agency and definitely better than starting a rookie. I wouldn't be mad at that trade at all, so long as they're not giving up anything more than like a 5th rounder.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2009 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wseitzjr | September 3, 2009 8:01 AM | Report abuse

about Tarvaris Jackson: maybe the only NFL starter who could make a team think signing Brett Favre was a good idea.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 3, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse

If I was going to take Tavaris, I would have taken Vick...

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 3, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

I guess there's no way to catch the game on TV (especially in Ohio)?

That said, Jacksonville will look to play most of its starters for the first half as Jack Del Rio tries to workout the team’s kinks before the regular season opener.

It should be a good test for our backups, then.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | September 3, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

"probably your starter for next year when they let JC go"

So you know for a fact they're letting JC go? What if he blows up this year, 25 plus TD's, and 3800 passing yards, they're just letting him walk?? Really??

Trading for TJ, is bringing in Jeff George all over again. You totally undermine Campbell if you did this.

Foolish, absolutly foolish.......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Just commented on the POST article about the woman sued over breach of contract regarding tickets. I post here because its free. When it isn't I won't. And when I can no longer watch the 'SKINS on cable without an extra premium I won't. It's called drawing the line.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 3, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

When tough choices have to be made.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 3, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

ZORN IS A MENTAL MIGIT!!!!

Posted by: wseitzjr | September 3, 2009 8:01 AM

Yeah, but he's head coach, and you're not. JEANIUS.

Posted by: SonofNero | September 3, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Cut to 52, then pick up an OT from the cut list or by trade for a minimum salary.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 3, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

"WASHINGTON is not an offensive juggernault THREW 14 PASSING T.D.'S ALL OF LAST YEAR!!! J.C. 13 AND Randel El 1 to cooley.. J.C. is increasing nicely from 10-12-13 last year, if he keeps healthly this year we can count on 14!!!! Brady threw 50 2 years ago, normal is around 25. ZORN IS A MENTAL MIGIT!!!! Colt his whole career after Colorado when he made a bunch of mistakes, has ALWAYS been humble!! The kid is cocky because he is the only QB in the history of the NFL combine that got a 100% accuracy rating(only 1 pass was not caught, IT hit a KU nobody in the hands). His college career over 70% completion rating!! Have you noticed the more coaching he gets from Zorn, the worst his numbers are. After he threw a couple of beautiful TD's to lead the redskins back in the preseason last year to win, ZORN told him he was being wreckless with the ball with 2 TD's and no INT's. The more he stays with zorn and THE GREAT WASHINTION OFFENSE, the more Zorn will make him a bad QB. The great J.C. did not throw 1 TD pass to one of the best 5 tight ends in the NFL last year, LET ME REPEAT 0 TD'S. Is that bad planning on Zorn's part or kepping in max protetion ALL the time hurt Cooley. Cooley did have 1 TD, but the WR threw it. I am a Mizzou alumn, but got activacted to the air force in Hawaii Have front row season tickets, watched all of hawaii and Mizzou games, but colt did not have 3 top 3 rounders to throw to (macklin, coffman, and rucker). he only had bess a 7th rounder for miami last year. No one will claim chase, let him spend a year on the practise squad. Posted by: wseitzjr"

this must be a really important post because else why would there be so many capital letters? That's always a sign of great importance.

Plus the poster didn't waste a lot of time on punctuation...

Posted by: Samson151 | September 3, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

All the homers are out defending Danny by saying "it's a business -- he's enforcing a contract!"

But the relationship between the Skins and their fans goes much deeper than just a business transaction. And Danny has betrayed that trust.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | September 3, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Foolish, absolutly foolish.......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 8:11 AM

I'm sorry, did happen to catch any of the offseason? When they undermined Campbell by playing footsie with Jay Cutler? And looked into trading up for Sanchez? That ship has sailed, they officially can't do anything else to let JC know they don't want him.

And I completely disagree with the Jeff George comparision...that dude blew up big time the year before he came to D.C. and was handed a big contract to boot. Getting TJack (who is every bit as scrutinized as JC, I might add) for a low-round pick and a paltry 530k salary is a far cry from that scenario.

To answer your first question, I'm not sure those numbers are enough to keep him here. I'd have already resigned him on the cheap if I were calling the shots, but with these guys I'd think he'd have to go crazy with like 30 tds and 4,000 yards. Like I said: I'd take 25 and 3800 and like it, but we're talking about Snyder here...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Just say no to TJ. The Vikings would have been a better team without him last year.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 3, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Redskins 'ownership' is really just a stewardship. And the Danny has been a rather underwhelimg steward.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 3, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

brown,so what you're saying is that if Campbell has a pro-bowl year, just off the charts great year, the team can't do anything but let him walk because they looked into trading for other qb's??

Sorry, the fact of the matter is that the team holds ALL the cards in this instance. If he blows up, they either sign him, or tag him, either way, win win for the team.

What makes you think the Vikes will settle for a 5th round pick anyway??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | September 3, 2009 8:18 AM

Agreed. And the biggest slap in the face is that he professes himself to be a fan. Yet at every turn he does stuff that is the very antithesis of what this team has always been. I predict another 5 years before things get bad enough that we overthrow him with pitchforks and torches in hand...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

What makes you think the Vikes will settle for a 5th round pick anyway??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 8:27 AM

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that 1) I don't see him having that kind of a year...more like a 3500 yard, 20 td season and 2) I don't think the Skins will do right by him either way. I'd almost bet that Snyder will low ball him even if he has a big year and end up walking anyway. He did it to your boy Pierce, he did it to Ryan Clark, and he'd surely do it to JC if he thinks he's got a better option in free agency.

And there's NO CHANCE he gets the franchise tag. Skins never use it and even if they did, they never have the cap space. I think for a QB it would be around $15 or 16 million and you'd be hard pressed to find that much cap space around here in 2 offseasons much less one.

I'm by no means saying TJack is an upgrade, he's certainly not. But he's better than Collins without Saunders or Colt "Pick 6" Brennan.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

ZORN IS A MENTAL MIGIT

Posted by: wseitzjr

This "wow, just wow" moment is brought to you by Hooked on Phonics.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 3, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and Greg...I forgot to answer your last question: everyone knows the Vikes won't play Jackson and that he doesn't wanna be there. I'd be shocked if more than a couple teams were even interested, much less offer up more than a low to mid round pick.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

With all the speculation about Mason and Aldridge and will they keep 4 running backs, I actually think the closest race is at Defensive End.

Daniels, Carter, Alexander, and Jarmon appear to be locks to make the roster. So if they keep one more end, will it be Wynn, Jackson, or Buzbee.

Wynn is the veteran and he can play DT

Jackson was last year's late round draft pick

Buzbee is a guy the team seems really high on

Of course, they could dump all 3 and keep Marcus Mason! Just to please the fans.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | September 3, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Okay,

who will look better tonight? does not matter its all about who's got a locker come friday.

Colt or Chase Chase

Aldridge or Dorsey Aldridge

Kelly or Thomas Both on the roster Kelly gets no 2 WR

Suisham or RaynerSuisham

Final score prediction,

Skins
irrelevant unless its a 0 Jags less relevant.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | September 3, 2009 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

"He did it to your boy Pierce"

Post of the day....categorically incorrect, but post of the day....go look at the sequence of events regarding Pierce, and see if you can gain a better understanding of what happened, instead of being mis-informed.

I'm coming clean, on this whole Pierce thing, so you've gotta help me out.

What is it, or how is it, that 5 years later people are still hung up on this?? Seriously, I want to know to help gain a better understanding of the whole thing....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

I'm still miffed we didn't go after Leftwich... although that opinion will be tested this season.

I haven't seen anything from TJ that would convince me he's better than any of our backups, but then again I didn't watch him much.

Here's the only clip I found... heh... a pick six...

and a JACK!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 3, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

As long as they keep Dorsey/Alridge I'm happy. need that home run threat and a punt returner.

Posted by: brian58 | September 3, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

T Jack is one of the most inaccurate passers I have ever witnessed start a game in the NFL. I'm not talking stats. I don't know his stats. I have witnessed his incompetence live. When put under the mildest of pressure, he cannot throw anywhere near a receiver. There are stretches of football he plays where I actually fell sorry for him.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 3, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

The last steward of Gohndor did a more competent job during the final year of his reign then Dan Snyder has doen with his time ruling the skins.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: diesel_skins

It this was directed towards me I was not defending Dan. I was just saying with it being a week out from the start of the season. This is something I really don't care about reading.

Posted by: jm220 | September 3, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

What is it, or how is it, that 5 years later people are still hung up on this??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 8:46 AM

A defining moment, bean, that symbolizes the entire Redskin gestalt. If you even have to ask this question you should probably give up and surrender to zjpfrwx2.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 3, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Oh, okay. Spelled his name wrong... whoops.

This clip is a bit better..

He's definitely WCO-friendly

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 3, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Wynn is the veteran and he can play DT

Jackson was last year's late round draft pick

Buzbee is a guy the team seems really high on

Posted by: Wemiss21 | September 3, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Jackson is the only one I've noticed on special teams, so if they do go w/ another DE my pick would be him.

Posted by: TWISI | September 3, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm coming clean, on this whole Pierce thing, so you've gotta help me out.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 8:46 AM

If you give me links to what you've got, I'll be glad to read it. I seem to remember the team offering him $3 million to sign and the Giants doubled that. For a guy who started for you and played at a Pro-Bowl level that year, I would say a $3 million signing bonus is textbook lowballing.

But that's neither here nor there...my point is the smart money is on JC leaving after this year. I want him here, but ownership doesn't. And I don't think it would hurt to have TJack here as either the backup or temporary starter while whatever rookie they take in the 2010 draft is waiting in the wings.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

I'd almost bet that Snyder will low ball him even if he has a big year...he'd surely do it to JC if he thinks he's got a better option in free agency.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

There are no good QBs in FA next year if we let Campbell walk. Everyone in the 2004 class just signed an extension (Rivers, Manning, Roethlisberger). If we replaced Campbell it'd almost certainly have to be in the draft.

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha | September 3, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Tavaris Jackson's accuracy makes Jason Campbell look like Joe Montana. He just is not a very good passer. If JC tanks this year we find a QB in the draft or free agency after the season.

How many days in a row is the post gonna have a long article on tix. If you can not afford things don't buy them. It is the same concept as someone buying a 500k house on a 50k salary on a smaller scale.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | September 3, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Jax better win tonight. They'll be playing starters against backups for a good while. If they don't win then they are flat out awful. Hopefully Alridge breaks a few nice runs tonight. I'd also like to see marko find the end zone. I'd really like to see Chase and Colt play against Jacksonville's #1 defense. I'd love to see one of them toss a TD to Marko over Rasheen Mathis. If that happens then we have some real bonafide NFL starting material. It could get ugly and it most likelt will but I'll be watching individual players and not the scoreboard. Does anyone know if BMW is playing tonight?

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 3, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Alex? Really? LotR reference?

Who's The Danny, then, Gollumn?

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 3, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

brown, to beat the dust on this animal once again for roughly the 10 TRILLIONTH time, the team was NOT going to pay Pierce more than they were paying Marcus Washington, who at the time, MW was the better player. They offered AP a contract, which he took to the giants for leverage, and he ended up getting like 500 thousand more, and signed with them.

There was no low-balling. Time to let that one go however...I mean that was what, 2004....ufb....

Again, with JC the teams holds the cars, they are in a position of power with regard to him...all he has to do is play well and ownership will want him here...ball is in his court.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if BMW is playing tonight?

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 3, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

From the reports I've read, he'll play from once the 1st team line leaves until the 4th quarter.

Posted by: TWISI | September 3, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Oh, Greg, now you done went and started something.

I'll admit to holding on to the anger over Pierce longer than I should have but I'm now at peace with it.

I always saw it as more Gregg Williams' belief that he didn't need players for his system that lead to Pierce being let go.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 3, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I thought I was clear, Dan Snyder is the Steward of Gohndor who is simply unable to bring peace to his city despite what effort he can muster. Ultimately he will commit suicide and then some ol'dude with a beard will get us a new owner who seems younger but is in-fact much older and somehow a descendant of NFL/Redskins legendary.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

AYFKM?!?!

ANOTHER ticket "story"?!?!

What, did you save them up all year just to run this week? WTF?

What is the point of this ridiculous petty passive aggressive campaign of idiocy?

Do you REALLY think fans want to read this tripe?

"Oh no, the Redskins are suing people who refuse to pay for their tickets? WHO CARES!?!?

Newsflash: If you buy something, you are obligated to pay for it and honor the terms of the contract.

What is your sick obsession with trashing the team day in and day out in your sorry rag?

I would never come to this suckhole POS blog again if I had access to a real fan forum.

WASHINGTON POST SUCKS! I hope your whole building gets sucked into a giant sinkhole created by your own warped sense of smug superiority.

Just screw you people..seriously. Leave the Skins alone already.

Posted by: McMetal | September 3, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

This team stinks. They will be lucky if they go 8-8.

Posted by: coheneli11 | September 3, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

McMetal - go somewhere else then...
Cohen - very well put. So informative & helpful.

Alex - Yes, you were clear. Now roll the 20 sided die to see what damage you inflict...

Icky-Icky-Icky-Ptang-Zoop-Boing! Throatwarbler Mangrove!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 3, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Dik you got it bakward not all LOTR readers and fans are D&D nerds but all D&D nerds started with LOTR. Its like the whole gateway drug myth.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 9:03 AM

Since I agree with that, I don't get what we're arguing about. I guess it's that I think he's as good as gone and you think he'll be back? You think the team will do right by him and I don't?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Jason you seem to be doing a much better job at this then the other guy, but your newspaper seems to always want to stick it to the team.... It doesn't make since to me. Keep up the good work.......

Oh yeah, no injuries tonight....please....

Posted by: punchdaclock | September 3, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

cl;

I need a change-of-pace, scat-blogga for our fantasy league, any suggestions? I need speed!

Also, enjoyed the scouting reports yesterday...do you think we should include a grading scale at the end? I'm guessing you had barno at ~78?

Posted by: stevek20147 | September 3, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

brown, I think if he has a really good year, he'll either get a contract offer, or get tagged.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Just screw you people..seriously. Leave the Skins alone already.

Posted by: McMetal | September 3, 2009 9:11 AM

The first post today by an employee of Little Prick Danny Snyder.

McMetal, I am not sure if LPD told you yet, but you can come out from under his desk now and wipe that stuff off your chin.

Posted by: knight1977 | September 3, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Dik, if we were to go after TJ, I would have rather us gone after Vick.

I also wasnt aware that TJ did anything great in Minnesota??

Posted by: mhartz1 | September 3, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

And c'mon Dik - it's obvious that Vinny would be Gollum

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 3, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Just screw you people..seriously. Leave the Skins alone already.

Posted by: McMetal | September 3, 2009 9:11 AM

The first post today by an employee of Little Prick Danny Snyder.

Posted by: knight1977 | September 3, 2009 9:31 AM

Over the last few days you have taken the mantel of "Most Disgruntled Blogger." You have yet to post anything of any substance and your tirelessly negative attitude is boring.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 3, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Brownie getting T-Jack would be dumb.
JM220 the story was on front page not sports, sort of key difference.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 3, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I dont think they will tag Campbell, way too much money, look at the Chiefs and Cassell.

I still think if JC has a great year, Danny will not be able to resist, drafting a big name QB and there will a couple in the draft.

Personally, I think JC will have a great year, I have a weird feeling Portis is going to get a bad injury this year, but I hope not.

Hail Skins

Posted by: mhartz1 | September 3, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

So which did you listen to more during campains: revivalist english folk & prog(Clannad, Steeleye Span, Yes, Gentle Giant) or Ozzy & Triumph?

I would assume the non-D&D folks started with Harry Potter?

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 3, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

And c'mon Dik - it's obvious that Vinny would be Gollum

I don't know, I can just see Snyder in the back room referring to the 16 binders of ticket holders names as "my precious."

Posted by: countystyle | September 3, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

What I want to know is can ARE hold for place kicks. I don't understand why we use our stinking punter as the holder, does anybody ever have to be concerned about a fake if the punter is holding? ARE would certainly keep teams honest on their block attempts cause he can run and throw so if they sell out too much on the block uh oh....it seems so simple but I guess its more important to have the musical punters hold....

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 3, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Leave Dan Snyder Alone.... he said while hiding under a blanket and crying.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

John D, so right!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 3, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 3, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Gamedayyyyy finally.

I'll be at the game tonight. Tailgating in the "Maxwell House Coffee" lot(?) with several other skins fans. Also tweeting @nattaboy58

Also thinking about possible signs to bring so far it's "If you can read this you're a Redskins fan" - blackout, literacy, etc.

The locals tell me the Jags games get blacked out all the time. Ridiculous

Posted by: nattaboy | September 3, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 9:30 AM

I guess that's the disagreement...I think they lowball him if he gets an offer at all and I think there's a snowball's chance in hell he'll get the tag.

Let's just hope he plays big and gets paid big too.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

man, everyone here is disgruntled. I guess anxiety levels are increasing as the season approaches. I don't remember the tone of the blog being this "chippy" before a season.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 3, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

There's a reason I don't have the multi thousand dollar loge seats, because I don't want to sign a multi-year contract that I can't guarantee I'll want or be able to pay for years down the road. People who make the mistake of doing so and then try to back out, then they blame the Redskins for coming to collect the debt? It's absurd. I'm sorry but I feel no sympathy for these people. These are the same types of folks who destroyed the housing market. These people buy more than they can afford and then figure the magic money fairy would come and save them.

You aren't sure you can pay for the premium seats 5 years from now?

THEN DON'T SIGN THE F'ING CONTRACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simple as that.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 3, 2009 2:50 AM

I had a sneaking suspicion that this is where you and many others would come down on this issue. By in large you are correct until you get to "Simple as that." While I don't agree with it, I can understand why the 'Skins would someone who doesn't pay for tickets that are reserved for them given the potential financial impact on the team. I take issue with the fact that the team does not give the tickets to customers who pay after being sued or having a judgment entered against them and does not credit judgments debtors when the team sells their tickets. They are unjustly enriching themselves with a double recovery. That is wrong no matter how you slice it.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 3, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Signing Tarvaris Jackson would be an incredibly dumb move. I like the kid, but, this team has enough mediocre-to-good quarterbacks and does not need to collect more, not to mention that Jackson has not shown that he is as skilled or as mentally adept as Campbell. We can win with the QB's we have if we shore up the OL and the run game to open up opportunities downfield, and improve on special teams.

Posted by: jksesq1 | September 3, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

From the Office:

Michael: No need for consternation, everything is under control.

Jan: Michael, last Friday one of your employees attacked another employee in your office!

Michael: It was a crime of passion, Jan, not a disgruntled employee. Everyone here is extremely gruntled.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2009 7:40 AM

Hellz Yeah....I's get rid of Chase/Cult all together....

I'd throw a 4th/5th rounder at them, and recoup that draft pick by trading Monty. So we'd basically traded Monty for TJack.

Championship.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 3, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I don't remember the tone of the blog being this "chippy" before a season.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 3, 2009 9:42 AM

Didn't I explain this to you last night? How many times I gotta go over it with you? Lot of us up here are on the bubble. We won't be on the final roster. We've got to show our best moves before Saturday. Cindy, the Turk's, gonna be visiting people then -- blocking our posts and deleting our work from the archives.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 3, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Jan, Michael - where's Vincent?

And to those chastising the fans for trying to get out of their tickets, if you read the dang article, they were told by the agents that they WOULD be able to get out of the contract if they wanted to.

...get it in writing, or it didn't happen, is the lesson there.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 3, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

T_E, this is work?!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 3, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jm220 | September 3, 2009 8:51 AM

lol...I doubt he was talking about you...

Cl - You need to do a fantasy profile on JM220....The sensitive giant...with 2 hammers hiding behind him...lol

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 3, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 3, 2009 9:48 AM |

I don't even have a clue where I stand. From first time poster I got "thinnest skin." I can live with that, I'm working on it, getting better every day. But I haven't even rated a fantasy review yet...and with thoughts to who is conducting them I'm scared to see what they might say.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 3, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I want mason or alridge, leaning toward alridge. He flashes rare speed. Marcus has been effective but just not quite enough of a standout in my opinion. Dorsey is fast, but not jump out the tv fast, which you gotta be at his size.

Posted by: AdamCr | September 3, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

wseitzjr it's pretty obvious you didn't go to Mizzou for the education!

Posted by: drfunknsoul | September 3, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: McMetal | September 3, 2009 9:11 AM

Agree with about 95% there...Good job expressing my frustrations...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 3, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

yes - Aldridge flashes rare speed....

so did Trung Candidate.... he was totally worthless....

Posted by: oldnova | September 3, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I've been out of it for a few days due to my stupid job (F PCI compliance!)

Is there a central location where I can get these fantasy blogga scouting reports or should I just scour the previous threads?

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 3, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

T_E - Yeah, yeah, you did - I just keep forgetting - I'm double locking the doors at chez JohnD to be sure the Turk can't get in.

I just read today's installment of the ticket saga, and regardless of what you think about the 'Skins actions: Why the heck are these people not going to court? Do they not understand the concept of a default judgement? At least show up and throw yourself on the mercy of the court. In Montgomery County, at least, I could see you getting you a sympathetic judge that might take a dim view of the team's actions.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 3, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2009 8:56 AM

Wow. I didn't remember it that way, but it looks like you're correct.

Pierce gave the Redskins a chance to match the offer, and Joe Gibbs declined. Gibbs: "It's one of those things that you don't want to have happen," Coach Joe Gibbs said. "Antonio played great for us last year. We would have loved to have gotten him re-signed. We went as far as we could go, but it just didn't work out. I hate it."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 3, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 3, 2009 10:00 AM |

They shoulda been added to the wiki

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 3, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

"There's a reason I don't have the multi thousand dollar loge seats, because I don't want to sign a multi-year contract that I can't guarantee I'll want or be able to pay for years down the road."

Question: Did you pay for your house in cash?

Because if you signed a mortgage, you couldn't guarantee those payments in the future....

Also - when a mortgage company forecloses on you, you have the right to sell your home and pay off the mortgage. The Redskins will not allow you to sell off your tickets to satisfy the ticket contract you signed...

Posted by: oldnova | September 3, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 3, 2009 9:36 AM

How many teams in the NFL use someone other than the punter as holder? The logic is that you don't want the skill positions wasting practice time holding balls for the kickers. Punters and kickers (and the long snapper) practice together and usually for shorter time than the rest of the team.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 3, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

beep...beep...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 3, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

OE - Check the Cl post for the last 2/3 entries...He has done a few, but has been onpoint so far....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 3, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Fantasy blogga scouting report:

scamp

"Our scouts are undecided here, mostly along idealogical lines. However everyone agrees that he is a consistent scorer with a high degree of football knowledge and well informed. He is a frequent poster so if your league scores for quantity he us a solid 3/4th rounder. Here is the rub however, he is hair trigger with the political who will take a relatively mild joke reference and start accusing anyone to the left of your average town hall kook as a mutant hybrid of Stalin, polpot, Harvey milk and Trotsky. Here at FBSR would like to see him maybe acknowlege that not everyone who has differing views should beheaded for treason. But we love passion here and he has that in red white blue burgundy and gold bussells.

Heel of Achielles: overreliance on homophobic insults.
Secret weapon: good comedy and music tastes proven by newsradio clips and knowledge of butthole surferes and GBV.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 3, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1

It's not so simple as calling it "unjust enrichment". The Skins contract contains an acceleration clause (typical in most installment contracts), which permits the team to accelerate the full balance of the contract when there is a breach. When the team ends up going to court -- because, say, the deadbeat ticketholders ignored their collection letters -- they seek the full, accelerated balance. Those are the damages they are entitled to by contract and state law.

At the time they seek the judgment, they have no idea whether the tickets will be sold to a subsequent buyer or what the expenses will be to sell them. All they know is that they have the right to seek accelerated damages. It's the same thing a lender does if you default on your home loan. The team cannot wait and see whether they re-sell the tickets over the next 10 years on a long term contract. The statute of limitations on contracts is typically 3 years. (I'm not sure what state law applies. It's probably MD, but the contract could choose another venue such as VA.)

So, after obtaining judgment for the full amount, the team resells the tickets for, let's say, the same amount minus expenses. The money obtained for the resold tickets is credited against the full judgment, minus the team's administrative expenses (attorney's fees and costs, advertising and marketing, discounts, etc.) The same thing happens in a foreclosure situation. The foreclosure proceeds, which are typically less than the full balance of the loan, are applied against the outstanding debt. The creditor cannot collect twice. The team still has to use legal procedure to collect on the judgment, and during that process, it will have to credit proceeds received from resale against the judgment.

I have never been a season ticket holder, primarily for financial reasons. It's just a bad financial move. If I did sign a multi-year contract with the the Skins, I expect to honor it. I'm on the "buy Club Seats for less than face a week before the game" plan.

P.S. - I am not David Donovan.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 3, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I am not a genius, but I can tell you that if major roster decisions are going to be based on the LAST preseason game, then something is rotten. And that is not the case folks. Maybe a player can get himself off the roster by making consistent bonehead play (p.s. Cult Brennan) but other than that, (and to keep things interesting for everyone) the deal must be sealed. Done, put a fork into it.

If Colt doesn't kill his own chances, UNFORTUNATELY, he will be kept as the 3rd dude, since Chase can be kept on the practice squad.

Suisham will be cut unless Rayner misses a bunch of point afters and kicks off out of bounds.

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 3, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

"What I want to know is can ARE hold for place kicks. I don't understand why we use our stinking punter as the holder, does anybody ever have to be concerned about a fake if the punter is holding?"

By the way, he was the emergency QB for Notre Dame when he played there. And the way ND has been playing, there had to be a lot of emergencies.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 3, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

"I can tell you that if major roster decisions are going to be based on the LAST preseason game, then something is rotten."

I think the final preseason game is a way for youngsters to play their way onto the roster rather than off it. If they don't shine, they don't sign.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 3, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 3, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I love this idea! Joey the T always advocates, wisely I think, for a QB holder. ARE is an even better option. Special teams coaches always say they use punters b/c of the practice time involved and the availability of punters for all of the necessary reps, as well as the "hands" they have demonstrated to become an NFL punter. Seems flimsy when you consider the options having ARE back there would give you.

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 3, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

KenBeatriz I understand all of that. Did you read the article? They are re-selling the tickets or collecting on the judgment and either not not crediting it to the judgment debtors or giving them the tickets, respectively. The team has a duty to mitigate its damages. If there is indeed a "waiting list" it would appear to me that their a people available to take these folks' place and there is no need to take such a hardline. Also, in one case, the team allegedly committed fraud by checking a box on a contract after it had been signed.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 3, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

t-e, haven't you ever heard of rendition?

Posted by: jnsbear | September 3, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

It's time to shake up that backfield and infuse some youth. Keep Portis, Cartwright, Sellers, Mason, and Alridge. Sorry Betts, you're a decent back, but you're talent level doesn't make you indispensable. Mason can do everything you can, his blocking is coming around, and he's a helluva lot cheaper. Trade Betts to the Browns,Bengals, Lions or Seahawks for a fourth round pick. He can start for any one of those teams.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see Marko Mitchell muscle his way into that staring WR mix. His skill set is absolutely on par with Kelly and Thomas. The Skins have uncovered a gem in this guy.

Posted by: jdwilliams | September 3, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

"who will look better tonight?

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | September 3, 2009 7:14 AM

Colt or Chase -- Chase

Aldridge or Dorsey -- Aldrige

Kelly or Thomas -- Mitchell!!!!

Suisham or Rayner -- Draw (Same kicker, different names) Graham Gano(bal) or Piotr Czech(pit)...both are better than our kickers

Skins 27 Jags 13
Posted by: talent_evaluator "

Here is my list, I want a different kicker, either Graham Gano (from FSU,currently with the ravens and is loosing the job) or Piotr Czech (Pit) both better than the guys we currently have

Posted by: avbanig | September 3, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse