Tryon: 'I'm Still Learning'

Second-year cornerback Justin Tryon was beaten repeatedly in coverage by the Baltimore Ravens in the preseason opener, but he played better in Saturday's 17-13 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers at FedEx Field.

The Redskins are counting on Tryon to provide quality depth, and he said he plans to deliver. "It was kind of frustrating," Tryon said of his poor showing against Baltimore. "I always want to compete. After the game, I looked at the film and I didn't hang myself, or nothing like that.

"I just said to myself, 'Hey, it's preseason.' We've got plenty more games and I'm still learning. It's not like I signed a $100-million contract, so I have to do something right away. I have to play tomorrow. It's not like that."

Tryon said he strives to be a complete corner capable of playing the slot as well as outside.

"Each corner can't play inside and outside. There's a lot of corners that can't do it. I would love to be playing both. That's what I'm working on, but I'm just in my second year. I'm learning. If a good play happens, you just have to forget about it. If a bad play happens, you just have to forget about it. You can't dwell on something that's just going to linger. You have to have a short memory."

By Jason Reid  |  August 24, 2009; 4:02 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Afternoon Practice Update
Next: Henson's "Pity Party"

Comments

"No Shti?"

Posted by: Pulldownclaw | August 24, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 24, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Breaking news... Justin Tyron is "still learning"

Posted by: MattHouston | August 24, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Tryon: "I'm still tryin'"

Posted by: p1funk | August 24, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

But again, if people want to be concerned because of his accuracy, be my guest (and I'm not just talking about you p1funk). IF inaccuracy becomes a consistent pattern, it's a bad thing, without a doubt.

But I'll take my chances regarding that.

Posted by: psps23 | August 24, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

My concern is that he's not put together a drive yet, and still has not delivered even a competent performance in preseason yet.

That's all I'm asking for - one drive.

Posted by: p1funk | August 24, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Red, if his life coach was forcing him to go to bars with only unattractive women, and he was still making the best of it, then it wouldn't really warrant criticism.

When Campbells coach is only calling plays that give him the option of check downs, screens, and that type of stuff, you can't really blame Campbell for only completing those types of passes.

Posted by: -swb | August 24, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

"It's not like I signed a $100-million contract, so I have to do something right away."

Funny dig, Justin. Hmmm, I wonder who that could be a reference to?

Posted by: Alan4 | August 24, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

CP is done. First 3 years in league - averaged 5.2 YPC. Last 3 years in league - averaged 4.1 YPC.

Posted by: oldnova | August 24, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

This is just ignorant.

CP was 4th in the league in rushing last year. He changed his running style and body-type to accomodate a whole new offensive system when he moved from Denver to Washington and was still successful, even broke the Skins single season team rushing record.

Posted by: p1funk | August 24, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

"We've got plenty more games..."

The Skins do, you don't if you keep lollygagging. Emphasis on the gagging.

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 24, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

And what's up with that 20 yard cushion you're always giving?

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 24, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

"PSP - Explain the YPA relative to all 32 teams/QB Starters. What percentile does JC17 rank?

Posted by: 4thFloor"

He was 25th. And that's one of the areas that needed improvement. So far in the preseason, this has been addressed with noticeable strides being made. Now it just needs the finishing touch, something that, when attempted last season, he was actually pretty good with.

Posted by: psps23 | August 24, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I loved his reaction when one of pitt's recievers dropped what would have been a twenty yard gain and a first down and Justin acted as if he had made some spectacular play. He hit the reciever, about two seconds after he dropped it. Give yourself a pat on the back for that one Justin, and i've already LEARNED, that you cant cover in the NFL

Posted by: Skins281 | August 24, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

The O line, run game and defense were better than average, as was the hustle. I think the fans want a QB that wins games and trophies; no matter his name is.

--------------------------------------

BeantownGreg1 I was at the game, and believe me both screen pass plays had no chance. The throw that was really bad was the third down one to Moss that was high. Moss had 10 YAC on that one. Interestingly enough, on the first deep ball to Kelly, Moss had come WIDE open on the crossing route about 15-20 yards down field. I understand the skins wanting to get/giving a look at the ball, but I would hope that JC would have gotten Moss the ball on that one during the regular season.

Posted by: TWISI | August 24, 2009 9:20 AM

---------------------------------------

This description seems to pertain to reading the field and releasing the ball on time, not accuracy. Unfortunately, soupy has progressed little since his sophomore year at Auburn. He reminds me of Jay Schroeder with a higher completion %, yet less Pro-Bowls and playoff appearances. I think soup will be replaced by week 5 if DC is 1-3.

Posted by: Realness1 | August 24, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Tryon doesn't have what it takes to be anything better than a nickle/dime corner in this league... which I guess all teams need now adays with teams going 3-4 wide so often...

Moving to JC.. accuracy comes during games with rhythm... and only playing 3 drives, throwing 7 passes and only completing one hinders his ability to get in rhythm. Lets see what he does during a full game, and then bash the man. Its preseason, he is still getting used to his wrs and the protection. It's not like this is week 5 ofthe season of something... hes got time and I'm sick of all this JC questioning... Give the man a break and let him improve. We still have 3 weeks or so still the season starts and I have to say our offense is MUCH improved from the fan appreciation scrimmage... so who knows where it will be by the time the season starts.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 24, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

When Campbell's coach is only calling plays that give him the option of check downs, screens, and that type of stuff, you can't really blame Campbell for only completing those types of passes.

Posted by: -swb

But -swb, Campbell is suppose to instill the confidence in his "life coach" to call those plays for him. I wouldn't think Zorn would purposely call plays that would shield his abilities.

You could say that's the equivalent to c***blocking.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 24, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

REEEeeeepost:

psps, those stats you just gave are "transgender" stats. They look good, but they're MOST definitely aren't all good...

p1, I didn't read the rest of that post once I read: "CP is done." The post was flushed as soon as I read that opening.

Campbell detractors I can understand, but Portis detractors?... wtf..smh...

Posted by: RedDMV

Posted by: RedDMV | August 24, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

From the Times:

The calf that kept Carlos Rogers out for a week earlier this summer is acting up again. But coach Jim Zorn expects the starting cornerback and fullback Mike Sellers, who suffered a badly bruised knee in last Saturday's victory over Pittsburgh, to be ready for Friday's game against New England.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 24, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I am interested to see how our 1st string D does against Tom Brady Friday night. I know that I haven’t forgotten how he was still in the game when they were ahead by 35 in the 4th qtr against us, and screaming at his offensive line like they were losing……I know it’s only a preseason game, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Greg Blache send the dogs on every stinkin’ play…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 24, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor"

Posted by: psps23 | August 24, 2009 4:18 PM

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 24, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

You guys need to lighten up on Tryon... I think alot of you guys are just going with the flow and bashing him because that's been the thing to do since JLC started it up a year ago... And reasonably so... as he looked bad last preseason.

BUT, he's in year 2 and the reviews on him have been good and he looked better against Pitt... He'll come along. Get used to it because he'll be the #4 CB this year and will have to contribute. I think some of you are judging pre-maturely and are seeing what you want to see. If the players and coaches are saying he's had a good camp... Take it for what its worth... and give him a chance to come around in the games.

Posted by: EinVB | August 24, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

dl, I haven't forgotten nor forgiven that either, TB got knocked around pretty good this past game, so I'm hoping for more of the same.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 24, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Beantown...completely agree. i would not mind seeing us say... screw the score lets hit brady every play... that loss was absolutely horrid and we need to atone for it. The pats ran the score up like a bunch of high schoolers on a team that they HAD no bad blood with... I'd say theres bad blood now... lets hit him hard and often and if they score they score... leave the mark that we will not tolerate bulls*** sjk

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 24, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Tryon is getting better! Here's tryon in practice today.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 24, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see AH rag-doll TB....throw him on the ground about 6 times....maybe Rak blast him from the blind-side.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 24, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Justin TYRON says: "It's not like I signed a $100-million contract, so I have to do something right away.

I don't understand exactly what he means, but if he's talking about what I think he's talking about, then...

He needs to be shown the door yesterday for a dumb ass statement like this. WRONG TYRON, you DO NEED to prove something, not right away, but last season. You were a 4th round pick! No no one is expecting you to be an all-pro CB your rookie season, but you look like the exact same player from last preseason.

This clown needs to go.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 24, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor"

So what are you saying? That Campbell is afraid to throw the long ball? That he checks down too much? That his preseason outing against Pitt reflected this? That he is inaccurate? That Jason Campbell is probably the worst starting QB of this generation, and he is poor in every single aspect of the game, doesn't have a single redeeming quality, and doesn't have "it"?

Which way are you rocking the boat this time? Which one fits your agenda today?

Go ahead, let's here your anaylsis of Campbell. Where do you think he struggles, 4th?

Posted by: psps23 | August 24, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

keeell heem...keeell Tom Brady...keeell heem..

Posted by: frak | August 24, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Boy, talk about the wrong stuff.
Can someone tell Justin that yes, he does.
That's how you get the $100-million contract.....

Very discouraged by his comment, he'll be lucky to make the team next year.

Posted by: isnadd | August 24, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: EinVB
__________________________

[1] Are we sure Tryon would be the # 4? I'm not sure of this at all. For starters, there's Barnes - how's he playing relative to JT? Plus if Tryon does really stink, we can always pick up a better player released by another team in the next 2 weeks.

[2] Players & coaches say good things about players, until they're cut.

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 24, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

That's all I'm asking for - one drive.

Posted by: p1funk | August 24, 2009 4:14 PM

I completly agree with you. This is video of the 3rd drive of the ravens game, were he jumped a route.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 24, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

any one else watch the game, see jersey #55 on the field, and get a shiver down their spine......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 24, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

YOU NEED TO PLAY LIKE YOU DID KID. THATS HOW YOU EARN 100 MILLION!

Posted by: alex35332 | August 24, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Thing about this is, Campbell's accuracy noticeably improved as his YPA improved. His most accurate stretch of the season came when he was averaged over 8 yards per attempt (67% on 8.26 YPA in October), while his least accurate stretch came when he was averaging just over 5 YPC (58% on 5.35 YPA in December).

Posted by: psps23 | August 24, 2009 4:04 PM

This really tells us nothing and it doesn't acutally prove your point. October opponents: Philly (176 yds, 56% comp rate), StL (208 yds, 69% comp rate), Clev (60% comp rate, 164 yds), Det. (328 yds, 82% comp rate). CP avg'd more than 140 ypg in those games. December: Balt, Cincy, Philly, SF. Campbell never exceeded 200 yds once - against B'more. Jason was dinking and dunking at a higher clip under pressure and duress - thus the fall off in %age and YPA.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 24, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

meant: Campbell only exceeded 200 yds once.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 24, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I am saying I see nothing to hinge my hopes on at the moment. My last piece of thread I barely have is Ryan O'Hallaran is sayinf despite what we see on the fieldm JC17 is ripping it up on the practice field. So, he has this last presaeson game to prove himself before I start to slam him like the others.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 24, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 24, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I understand the sentiment, and agree with it. But I think this is the wrong game to express it. Let's wait for a regular season game to be scheduled, and do it then... when it counts!

Posted by: frediefritz | August 24, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 24, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Why would you.. Not like we saw much of that number last season... Not on the field anyway.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 24, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

when a team is up by like 28 points in the 4th quarter and their D is dominating the opponent the starting qb should not be in the game during the 4th quarter. they should not be passing and their starters should be sitting...

Bit*h Tit Bill did not remove his starters, did no call the dogs off and embarrassed a team that has and always will be a classy organization (towards other teams on the field... we do not embarrass teams on purpose). It was rude and i took great offense by it. Nothing would make me happier than to break Tom Brady's leg and then go to Bill and say thats for 2007... thank you very much.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 24, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

"He was 25th."Posted by: psps23
"So...He is in the 4th Qaurtile, which is also known as the LAST Qaurtile of NFL Clubs. The Bottom of the barrel.Posted by: 4thFloor"

Yards per attempt isn't much of a measure. Guys who throw short a lot (to the RBs or TEs) tend to have shorter YPA than deep throwers like Brees and Peyton. Campbell's YPA is in the same general area as McNabb and Eli Manning. Somebody posted last week about the unusual number of drops by the Skin receivers; that has to be considered, too. And a QB who is under a lot of rush (as Campbell was in the second half last season) will throw shorter completions, to keep the chains moving.

That's the thing about stats -- you have to put them in context.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 24, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

we do not embarrass teams on purpose

Except the cowboys
F*** the cowboys.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 24, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

well said samson... well said

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 24, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

pas, could not agree more, I hated that whole day, the way the Redskins lost, the way they didn't do anything in response to it.......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 24, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

You could say that's the equivalent to c***blocking.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 24, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse
___________________________________________

Ah but Red, it wasn't zorns lack of confidence in campbell, but a knowledge that the o-line would not provide enough time for "longer" plays to develop. Zorn publicly said that during the second half of the season, he couldn't call deep pass plays because he know the o-line wouldn't be able to provide the protection.

A bit like the big fat friends who are too ugly/poorly dressed to get into the nice clubs, so the life coach brings everyone to the dump. Not Campbells fault that the big fat guys don't know how to dress, but he's gotta deal with the situation and make the best of it regardless

Posted by: -swb | August 24, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

"Rude/poor sportsmanship or not... I hate the cheating Pats, hate Tom "Checkdown KING" Brady and Bill "Bit*h Tits" Belichick...

Posted by: peoplearestupid1"

And the vast majority of the NFL agrees with you.. They ran up points on just about everbody that year..Payback is the Wild Female Dog..

Posted by: frak | August 24, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | August 24, 2009 4:42 PM

Don't dampen the guy spirit. Here's the video of MR O on the field.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 24, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

beepity beep beep
beep beep

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 24, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 24, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

chasgiffen,

I'm not sure about anything on this team :-).. I'm basing my opinion off of what we've see on the field and heard from coaches nad players. I think Barnes has done alright, but I'm not sure Jerry or Greg is going to out the rookie above Tryon at this point. Blache is not a fan of rookies unless they really impress, because of their inexperience and potential for mistakes...

Tryon worked hard in the offseason. He worked with Darrel Green for like 4-6 weeks. Green thought he could be a bona-fide started in the league from what he saw... Gray and Blache are both pleased with his progress and performance in Camp.

My crack on the CB depth chart come Sept 13th:
1 - D. Hall
2 - C. Rogers
3 - F. Smoot
4 - J. Tryon
5 - K. Barnes

Another Prediction: Look for Tryon to overtake the #3 CB slot from Smoot as the season progresses.

Posted by: EinVB | August 24, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | August 24, 2009 4:48 PM

What't the name of a Wild female Dog ?
Here's some hightlights of the Pats game.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 24, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

still to this day i do not understand why no one sucked it up, took the fine/suspension, and DECKED Brady. If I am on that defense I do not sit there and take that... I don't... I cheap shot the shi* sjk outta him.. end his career and take the suspension... 100% worth it... this is a violent league and to take that embarrassment the way we did really lowered the skins in my mind... i know Gibbs is a classy guy who doesn't sink to my sadistic, messed up level... but come on... how can you just openly take that... allow that and not retaliate...

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 24, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

chasgiffen,

My crack on the CB depth chart come Sept 13th:
1 - D. Hall
2 - C. Rogers
3 - F. Smoot
4 - J. Tryon
5 - K. Barnes

Posted by: EinVB | August 24, 2009 4:51 PM
1-K.Barnes
2-F.Smoot
3-Tryon
4-D.Hall
5-C.Rogers

Here's coach J-Z talking about the corners at today's practice.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 24, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

(towards other teams on the field... we do not embarrass teams on purpose).

Well if we did embarass anyone, I think it would be an accident considering we cant score over 17 in a game

Posted by: Skins281 | August 24, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

"Jason was dinking and dunking at a higher clip under pressure and duress - thus the fall off in %age and YPA."

So how does that not prove my point? I said as his percentage grows as the YPA grows, thus the more significant factor was not that he was 1/7, but that he was attempting, and Zorn was calling, aggressive passes throughout his brief time on the field.

You said Portis averaged 140 yards per game in October (when Campbell averaged 8.3 YPA), and I said that the successful running game on Saturday was assisted by the fact that Campbell was taking shots deep, stretching the defense (something that didn't happen against Pitt last season, when Portis incidentally struggled).

I'm not getting your point.

Posted by: psps23 | August 24, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

This guy Tryon blows. At least Barnes makes people puke when he hits them. Darrell Green or no, dude has got to go.

Posted by: bostskin | August 24, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Redskins will finish with a 4-12 record.

Jason Campbell is not even close to a NFL quarterback.

It's time to say goodbye to Vincent Cerrato.

Too bad, Danny Snyder.

Maryland basketball will finish with a 15-16 record

No NCAA bid

No NIT bid

Maryland Football will finish with a 2-10 record.

Maryland's defensive line and linebacker corps are a joke --- no pass rush whatsoever and give up a ton of long yardage plays.

I have seen harder hitting teams in powder puff leagues.

The only hard hits the Terps make - are out of bound plays - which cost them an additional 15 yards - which are quite frequent.

California's running back - Best - will gain 296 yards in the opening game

I love it, when Maryland constantly gets embarrassed on national TV.

Prediction:

California -- 56
Maryland -- 10

It's hilarious to see Maryland win a game - and the very next week get clobbered by a Virginia Tech - Boston College.

It is great to see Maryland go down to a crushing defeat on the football recruiting front (the kids they have received commitments from - are a joke! - taking the bottom of the barrel)

Carolina Blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels - Let's go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | August 24, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Redskins will finish with a 4-12 record.

Jason Campbell is not even close to a NFL quarterback.

It's time to say goodbye to Vincent Cerrato.

Too bad, Danny Snyder.

Maryland basketball will finish with a 15-16 record

No NCAA bid

No NIT bid

Maryland Football will finish with a 2-10 record.

I have seen harder hitting teams in powder puff leagues.

California's running back - Best - will gain 296 yards in the opening game

I love it, when Maryland constantly gets embarrassed on national TV.

Prediction:

California -- 56
Maryland -- 10

Carolina Blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels - Let's go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | August 24, 2009 6:13 PM
============================

hclark1: you are obviously a pathetic loser who must really have some emotional issues!! Go follow your pathetic tar heels and leave the real discussions to the big boys!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | August 24, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

No JUSTIN, WE are still learning, just how NOT to play slot in this league. You sucked so bad at what you were drafted for they had to put you back on the wing corner. Try to stay on you feet will you?

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 24, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Don't be mad, UPS is hiring!

Posted by: clark202 | August 24, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse