Tryon Might Have Found Just the Right Slot

Playing in the slot, second-year nickel cornerback Justin Tryon had his best performance in the 16-13 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Tryon had a sack on a corner blitz and covered and tackled well, apparently strengthening his position in the defensive backfield rotation.

Top corner DeAngelo Hall has played in the slot often to this point, but the Redskins would prefer to have him cover outside receivers. It's too early to determine whether Tryon could become consistently effective in the slot, but the Redskins plan to give him an opportunity to try.

"It's a huge confidence-builder," Tryon said. "Just the fact the coaches have the trust in me to go in there, and sending me on a corner blitz and things like that, I'm stoked for that. I'm stoked."

The Redskins want to get younger at many positions, and Tryon could help in that goal.

If Tryon performs well in nickel opportunities the remainder of the season, the Redskins might feel confident having him replace veteran corner Fred Smoot on a full-time basis next season.

"The main key is focus on down and distance. Down and distance will tell you just a whole lot of things," Tryon said. "It'll tell you want they're going to run, when they're going to run it, inside route, outside route. I've really been focusing on that.

"Each and every week, I just want to grow. I want to grow this whole year. I want to become a D. Hall or Carlos Rogers. That's who I want to become, so I just have to work hard. Just work hard each and every day."

By Jason Reid  |  October 7, 2009; 2:13 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Punter Pakulak Makes D.C. Latest Stop on NFL Tour
Next: Portis Philosophical about Hiring

Comments

Hopefully that preseason burning taught him how to play.

Posted by: moosepod | October 7, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Encouraging.

Posted by: boothintexas | October 7, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

But how are his hands? Heard Rogers dropped another should-be interception against the Bucs.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 7, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Lefty punter. That's all I got out of that last one. [Boom Pakalakalaka, boom pakalakalaka, boom].

Rest Smith. Release someone. Sign the guy for the week. Release him if and when necessary (assuming he can't play guard).

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

So boys and girls, after the offseason, training camp, preseason and 1 quarter of the football season, the moral of the story is...

...we need to hire another "pair of eyes" for the offense.

Posted by: p1funk | October 7, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

"Each and every week, I just want to grow. I want to grow this whole year..."

Whoa, JT. That's how Mike Williams got to be 400 pounds...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 7, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CheyenneWY

In Rogers defense, he SHOULD have caught it, but he didn't have his eyes on it until the last second... the defender ran in front of the ball and looked like it was deflected as well, so it wasn't as horrible as some of his other drops. Still should have been a pick though.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 7, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Can you imagine the dents, nicks, and scratches in Carlos Rogers cell phone?

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Gimme a star!

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 7, 2009 1:55 PM

The next Heath Schuler or Pat Ramsey cominig up!

We've seen this cycle looking for "star" QBs and HCs before, and we already know how it ends. More 8-8, generally speaking.

Me, I'm ready to see how things look at the end of this season with Zorn and JC in place--a full 2nd season together--before I render a judgment.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 7, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

This great headline has former NY Post headline queen Cindy Boren's name all over it!

By the way Cindy, with the Skins in the toilet and your old beat team the Yanks in post season any regrets? (HA, jk!)

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

It's my fault...

Posted by: gixxer998 | October 7, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Can you imagine the dents, nicks, and scratches in Carlos Rogers cell phone?

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Almost as bad ad Devin Thomas' phone I'll bet.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 7, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Can you imagine the dents, nicks, and scratches in Carlos Rogers cell phone?

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I floated an idea about how we could keep Carlos Rogers on the cheap.

Have the FO throw stacks of cash at him and tell him he can keep as many as he can catch.

Posted by: p1funk | October 7, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

It's my fault...

Posted by: gixxer998 | October 7, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I still blame Tracy Mcgrady

Posted by: p1funk | October 7, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

NO Tryon!

Just become a better version of Justin Tryon. Besides, 'Los and Hall aren't all that to be idolizing over anyway.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

That said, I'm not very happy about this punting situation, and I hope dcsween as the resident special teams guru can provide some assurance that we're in good hands, or feet, or whatevs.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 7, 2009 2:10 PM

I am definitely NOT a guru (though I play one on this blog). The statistic about distance is misleading b/c lots of times it way way way more important to just get it inside the 20 (which often requires a gunner who can slap the ball back ... have ANY of you talked about that Denver slap back to the Dallas guy who ran it for a TD ... and had it called back on review b/c the ball touched the line? No? It was the best play of the weekend ... well, best replay anyway ... F Dallas). Also way important for punters is hang time. Derrick Frost's farthest punts were line drives. Finally, a punter has to be able to tackle and tackle well (this last thing was the reason Frost hung on for so long ... he never got returned on ... b/c he stopped guys himself if he needed to).

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm listening to Antonio Chapman on the John Thompson show. For those who don't know, he played in this offense and now works the sideline of the Redskins for Comcast Sportsnet. He thinks Sherman Smith will help the younger WR develop into better route runners. He said from what he sees from the sideline some of the issues the skins are having in their passing game is that these players aren't getting the proper spacing, and they aren't getting to their spots on time. I'm starting to think that one of the coaches Zorn should've hired was a WR coach versed in the WCO. Anyway, hopeful Sherm Smith can help in that regard. He also said the Sherm Smith's expertise is in 3rd and red zone plays. We shall see.

This is for informational purposes only, please no JC comments.

Posted by: TWISI | October 7, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | October 7, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

no way DT's cell has dents, its never been used! rimshot please (or rimjob) thank you, enjoy the veal, tip your bartender

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

It's easy to blame Tracy McGrady from where I sit (literally)

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 7, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Men step up and take the blame for their teams shortcomings.

Campbell has done that. Last week Blanche did it as did Zorn. In fact of all the "leaders" in this organization I can think of only two who have not. Now I am not saying their names but let me just call them Mr. Elf and Mr. Lizard.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 7, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 7, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

His hands, arms, stomach, chest and shoulder. It bounced around every part of his torso. People love to bash Hall, but at least he pulls in picks.

My two year old daughter has better hands than Rogers.

Posted by: rich20ssu | October 7, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

TWIS,

Did you mean "Sherm Lewis" throughout your post?

Posted by: p1funk | October 7, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

how about idolizing the guy that was supposed to guide you and work with you...Darrell Green!

Posted by: mhartz1 | October 7, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

twis, thanks for posting that....I'm all for this move...seems like no risk, high reward...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 7, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

no, jerry

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 7, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | October 7, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

How about we actually do something like that. Put in his contract an extra 10k per Int.

I know that you used to be able to have that stuff in the contract can you still?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 7, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Men step up and take the blame for their teams shortcomings.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 7, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Great.

Now that we know whose fault it is, we know who to fire and replace.

Posted by: p1funk | October 7, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

TWIS,

Did you mean "Sherm Lewis" throughout your post?

Posted by: p1funk | October 7, 2009 2:28 PM

Yes. Sorry I'll get it together.

Posted by: TWISI | October 7, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Rodgers still covers his man better then Hall, but his hands problem will be a running joke for his entire career.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 7, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 7, 2009 2:10 PM

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

dcsween: You have earned points in my book. Your insert of "F Dallas" was timely and refreshing. I propose that all entries should have an "F Dallas" incorporated in a clever way.

Posted by: moosepod | October 7, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Sherm could pay dividends, but not without risk, especially if your name is jim zorn....

Also snyder has hired plenty of consultants midseason, its never worked so its not without problems.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

TWIS,

Did you mean "Sherm Lewis" throughout your post?

Posted by: p1funk | October 7, 2009 2:28 PM

Yes. Sorry I'll get it together.

Posted by: TWISI | October 7, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Gotcha.

Thank you for being a man, stepping to the plate, and taking responsibility. That's great leadership.

Now the Skins can go 14-2 and win the Superbowl.

Really, though, Antonio's comments make it sound like we just hired a glorified position coach.

Posted by: p1funk | October 7, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

al, based on his productivity I'd be surprised if Thomas even had a phone.

p1, his excuse would be "The money was blowing all wild in different directions. Can't do nothing about it. I got what I could."

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

You mean Pepper Rogers didn't pay dividends!!!

Posted by: p1funk | October 7, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

al, what I don't get is how is this STILL an issue? I mean, surely his agent has let him know that the better stats/int's he has this year, the more money he makes right?? I mean, how has he made ZERO progress in this regard....I'm at a loss on this....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 7, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

His apologists would say that at leat he was there to break up the pass...

Posted by: p1funk | October 7, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | October 7, 2009 2:33 PM

One possibility out of all of this is that Zorn might be able to keep his job if he makes some changes to his staff.

Posted by: TWISI | October 7, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

How is his agent going to improve his skill? You don't think he knows he has stone hands? Thats like saying, why can his agent improve his 40 time.

Players have strengths/weakness...#22 is a pretty darn good corner back with one of the worst tragic flaws this side of Oedipus Rex.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I think what I will do is clone DHall's hands and graft them on to Rogers' arms. I think if that were done when Rogers' was at Auburn, he'd be the highest paid corner in the league next year. Then we would trade him and a 2nd rounder to the Denver Broncos for a RB.

Posted by: moosepod | October 7, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Greg,
some things are just a natural ability, sometimes its years of coaching, I can't say I really know. I am not at practices so I don't know if they ever work on hands drills for the DB's. I mean I would say have him work with the WR coach and learn how to catch but I think he would have a better chance learning something from Bugs judging by the progress of our WR's

Posted by: alex35332 | October 7, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

cl, I was more talking about his upcoming free agency status after this year.

How has the CB/S Coach not gotten him in front of a juggs machine every day

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 7, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Trying to teach 'Los how to catch balls would be as futile as trying teach Devin Thomas how to play professional football.

Posted by: p1funk | October 7, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

An Oedipus Rex reference! Maybe the gods will smile upon him if he gauges out his eyes.

Posted by: moosepod | October 7, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

It's easy to blame Tracy McGrady from where I sit (literally)

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 7, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Sure. It's clearly not the coaches fault, TMac is the next best option.

Posted by: p1funk | October 7, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

If Sherman Smith is supposed to help the WRs be better route runners..

I a m assuming there is a WRs coach on the payroll, why are we paying him?

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 7, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

How has the CB/S Coach not gotten him in front of a juggs machine every day

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 7, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

1. You said 'Jugs'
D. There's a difference in catching the ball when you know it's coming and reacting to one that falls in your lap. 'los has problems with the latter.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 7, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

or the front office

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 7, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

On this thing about Sherm Lewis and the receivers, that was my thought exactly when I read THIS "analysis" by the so-called Mayor:

" ... Ultimately, though, the move indicates Snyder's lack of confidence in Zorn and his top lieutenants on offense -- offensive coordinator Sherman Smith and assistant head coach-running backs Stump Mitchell. ..."

If Lewis is all about the WCO, how does this indicate a lack of confidence in the RB coach? And how do Stan Hixon (WR coach) and whoever the new TE coach avoid this vote of confidence review in this analysis? Its not like there WR-TE-WR were the focus of Mr. Mitchell's efforts.

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry

Must have learned that at DINFOS

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 7, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

CheyenneWY,
our WR Coach has long been regarded as a joke.

Yes Mr. Stan Hixson, you are a joke. And I know you will probably read this because you never are actually doing your job.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 7, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

In the teams’ last matchup, JC17 threw a 66-yard TD to Cooley with 1:25 left and the Redskins defeated Carolina 17-13 on Nov. 26, 2006. The Panthers had reached the NFC Championship in 2005 after going 11-5.

Clinton Portis missed the game due to a broken bone in his right hand.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 7, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

it was part of a whole long string of comments, if you dont follow the whole of it you will not understand any part of it. It would be like trying to get into "Lost" in season 4.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 7, 2009 2:11 PM

Your post stated that were he free agent would start for the other teams you listed. I don't know how reading other posts would change the meaning of what you said.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 7, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Can you imagine the hilarity of the convo if RI had existed when Pepper Rogers was special assistant to gawd knows what?

That would have been fun. I can only dream of the "well Fed Ex taught him how to win and about the 3/4 defense" apologist posts.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

It's easy to blame Tracy McGrady from where I sit (literally)

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 7, 2009 2:27 PM

Even for Yao's consistent injuries?

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 7, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

If this team drafts a QB in April, they have learned nothing and the cycle will begin anew.

Their first three picks need to be spend on offensive linemen. This is not a skill position draft for the Redskins. The only exception I would make is that if there is an MLB prospect with prototypical size and speed who projects to a starter available when the Redskins make their second pick, they should draft Fletcher's heir.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 7, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

How has the CB/S Coach not gotten him in front of a juggs machine every day

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 7, 2009 2:40 PM

But he has. And they do WR drills once a week.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 7, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Correction: WR-TE-F Dallas-WR

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

CL
If RI existed back in 99 when Danny was about to buy the team. We never would be having these problems now.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 7, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I posted a bit ago but got beeped.

Did anyone else hear the rumor that Holmgren actually called the Skins and expressed interest...and then all of the sudden his friend Sherman is an "advisor".

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 7, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

If the 'skins were to offer Rogers and Campbell deals at the end of the season, what would it look like?

My guess: Rogers - 4 yrs/27mil
Campbell: 3 yrs/19mil

Maybe you salary cap gurus can come up with something more logical.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 2:33 PM

I thought the Buges consultant job in '03 was a good thing. O just knew the dividends would pay off by the following season....

The problem was, I wasn't included on the Spurrier memo that he had already mailed it in for good...

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 7, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else laugh when this kid Reid tries to provide analysis rather than just reporting?

Posted by: themantoyou | October 7, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 7, 2009 2:48 PM

Bingo! I would add a corollary for if they fire the coach before they can put those players on the field.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 7, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

well, someone's got to be blamed for Yao's feet.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 7, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

4th, not saying buges did a bad job, it was just a sign of deep issues and disconnect between FO/HC.....but on second thought if it greased skids on Spurrier's exit than it was positive.....maybe that applies here...

so from "case to case" you can argue "good move" as long view stradegy, not so much...

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Yao is a more talented Rik Smits.

Never will forget Smits rockin' the baldie.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Yao is a more talented Rik Smits.

f Dallas

Perhaps. but what would this mean? If he is more talented, then he's not a Rik Smits.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 7, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

It's easy to blame Tracy McGrady from where I sit (literally)

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 7, 2009 2:27 PM

Is the NBA still around?
[ducking for cover, yelling "F DALLAS...F DALLAS!"]

Posted by: 4-12 | October 7, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

The other paper had an article about the mid-season 'consultant' hire in 1999, Arnsparger for Mike Nolan's defense in 99 ... and how it had no real effect on the defensive performance.

Also, right now, the "hot" choice for a coordinator with dibs on head coaching slots ... is Gregg Williams.

[Unfortunately for Williams, looks like the team other than the Skins most likely to replace its head coach is Buffalo. Two strikes.]

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I think that must be part of Hall's contract: league minimum if he just shows up, big-time bonus for the extra DNA.
That was a pretty savvy INT he had this week, tho.

Posted by: daggar | October 7, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

My experience with consultants applies strictly to the radio biz. Here's what tends to happen:

Station is chugging along, staff is complacent.
Management hires consultant to come in and offer 'fresh prospective'
Consultant tells everyone how to do their job better.
Station switches format within 6 months.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 7, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

How soon they forget Los. How soon they forget.

If not for this we're talking 7-9. So it's more like hands of pumice.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 7, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: themantoyou | October 7, 2009 2:53 PM

No more or no less than the laughter inspired by the analysis (and reporting) in RI comments.

Analysis of the Skins is no laughing matter.

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

it was Tampa folks. yet another feel good versus true analysis! let tyron play well against the Giants or Eagles before we annoit him.

Posted by: simplewords999 | October 7, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

thats 1 LH, 1 out of seriously like 17...

Also really whats the difference between 7-9/8-8 at this point...

But we would not have the "hey we beat the NFC Champ" defense...

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Station switches format within 6 months.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 7, 2009 2:59 PM

Sweet. Satellite coaching for the Skins in 2010. [F Dallas.]

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

lh, too few....way too far between.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 7, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

In fact LH, you actually remind me how important the drops are and that if IF #22 held onto like 3 more of these over the last 3 seasons we may have:

Beat Pitts
had a better record
been in the nfc champ game in 2007
have a top CB

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys...just getting going up here after a lengthy lunch meeting...That's New York Daily News, ChrIsLarRy!!!!! Big diff...and, technically, it was dauphine, not queen. My favorite line so far up here today is Boom Pakalakalaka, boom pakalakalaka.

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 7, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

lh - I think I can speak for all of us saying you deserve the hammer....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 7, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

yeah all this just reminds me of Double Move droppin another 'in the numbers' pic.

....lol.

There's a reason they aren't receivers, where the $$ is.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 7, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

NFC Champ game in 2005, not 2007.

I remember that drop like it was yesterday...

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 7, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

My bad dauphine...my bad....daily News/Post big difference yes....but c'mon I was giving you mad props!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I was being facetious. Sorry for not putting on a smiley face.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 7, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

To his credit, I started the Carlos Rogers diet last year and I still can't stop dropping weight.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 7, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Honestly guys. We should take a long hard (giggity) look at this team and our expectations for them. Did you REALLY think that they would be a playoff team? Did you REALLY think that the talent level (not just players, but coaches and FO too) was good enough to bring glory back to DC? REALLY? The Redskins have been playing to the level of their competition for a few years now. Truthfully, they have 7-9 talent player/coach wise. The Skins have to compete with the toughest division in the league: NYG, Philly, and (F) Dallas. I want to believe that this team is great, but it isn't (at least right now). If they play up to their potential, I see 10-6.

Posted by: moosepod | October 7, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I wear my Carlos Rogers jersey all winter instead of a coat and I haven't caught a cold in 3 years.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 7, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

whateves 4th, I tried to scrub from my memory....

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

if corners could catch the ball they'd be WRs

Posted by: 2Pass | October 7, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Ha LH! my bad.....

moose: not really...but when the season is fresh and new and your all cialised up on football....you dream ya know...its called the "fun of football"

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I thought Tryon did look good in the game. He made some plays. This team needs some of the young corners to stand up. What happened with Barnes? I thought he was going to be the real deal but it looks like they cannot even get him on the field. Westbrook missed a tackle on special teams Sunday. He's looked okay up until that goof.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 7, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

And I am utterly appreciative, Mr. LarRy! You rule, as does Ms. AmeLia.

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 7, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

From @RickMaese at Redskins Park: Only thing everyone seems to agree on: No quick fixes; if Sherm Lewis can help, you might not notice for several weeks

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 7, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod

Good one. Do you think if I picked one up I wouldn't catch any sh$1t from by boss for posting on RI all day?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 7, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: moosepod | October 7, 2009 3:11 PM

Yes to your questions. Heavy upgrades (Haynesworth, Jarmon, Hall, Orakpo) to a Top 5 defense from last year. A class of 2nd round receivers who should now be ready to contribute this year. A coach in his second year with a rep for developing QBs. A solid 1st round drafted QB, who's never had 2 years in any offense before. One of the top RBs in the game over the past 7 years.

The only obvious weakness going in was the O-line. A mild improvement of last year's offense and the seriously upgraded Top 5 defense should be a sure fire playoff combination.

I never expected the defense to perform as poorly as it has thus far. (yeah, the points given up are low, but they've been giving up a lot of yards and a lot of 3rd downs to rookie QBs and pedestrian RBs... and not enough turnovers!)

Posted by: Alan4 | October 7, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Ok LH....cuz I thought you was serious to the fullest......

Can we check to see if that pic was photoshopped?

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 7, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Portis seems happy about the Lewis hiring, Dan Steinberg bogs:

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 7, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

If Joseph Heller wrote Carlos' biography, it would be called 'Drop-22'

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 7, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | October 7, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I guess that makes sense. But the problems go deeper than that.

Posted by: moosepod | October 7, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

More, from @RickMaese tweets:

Talking with Zorn and coaches, they don't know what Sherm Lewis will do or what impact he might have on offense

Zorn said he had no relationship w/ Sherm Lewis. He didn't consult w/ Holmgren. Said Vinny didn't call anyone else. Sherm will be in booth.

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 7, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

1. You said 'Jugs'

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 7, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Au contraire.

We've seen Los drop a few balls when he anticipates the pattern and breaks on the pass.

A certain play in a certain playoff game in Seattle comes to mind. As does a certain game against a certain team from Pittsburgh last year.

Posted by: p1funk | October 7, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Portis seems happy about the Lewis hiring, Dan Steinberg bogs:

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 7, 2009 3:23 PM

Happy? He sounds more like "whatever". He says he's a "part time RB" because the offense isn't on the field enough... a dig at the defense, no?

Posted by: Alan4 | October 7, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

if corners could catch the ball they'd be WRs

Posted by: 2Pass | October 7, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Or they would be highly paid corners who go to Pro Bowls.

You could just as well make the argument that receivers who can cover would be CBs, since top-notch corners tend to be in smaller supply and even so-so ones get overpaid.

Posted by: p1funk | October 7, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Ok LH....cuz I thought you was serious to the fullest......

Can we check to see if that pic was photoshopped?

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 7, 2009 3:22 PM

Its gotta be real. Look at his eyes. He's looking down field instead of at the ball.

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

"If Joseph Heller wrote Carlos' biography, it would be called 'Drop-22'"

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 7, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Or "Catch-0"

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 7, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, I know you guys will tell us when you know, but my questions are: what will Sherm Lewis be doing? Will he take one of Zorn's three jobs?

And if Sherm doesn't officially take one of Zorn's jobs, can we imply that Zorn is being hung out to dry; that Sherm wasn't up to any of those tasks; or that Zorn has the full faith and confidence of the front office as he continues in those three jobs?

Also, Cindy, what's the buzz in the newsroom about this? If you could gauge the prevailing opinion among Postie sports people in terms of that poll a few threads back (bad for Zorn, good for Zorn, no change or whatever it was), AND if you were at liberty to disclose that up here, where would the consensus fall?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 7, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 7, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Like I said, another cook in a kitchen on fire.

Posted by: p1funk | October 7, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhaslup
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Why draft an heir to Fletcher? I know that beast has a lot of miles on him but he shows no signs of wear. If he doesn't get hurt he could still play for at least a couple more years, he's just that kind of guy. I wouldn't be so quick to prepare a replacement at the expense of addressing something we need NOW.

Posted by: REXskins | October 7, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Portis needs to zip it, play hard, and get in shape......bama-azz, gut having, no long touchdown runs breaking, bama...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 7, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Cindy, you and Maese kind of answered my dumb question before I even posted it!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 7, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I think this is Clinton's last year here. You can tell he's tired of it all - the fans, the media, the team underachieving, and I'm guessing the FO as well. I like him, but he's on the decline, and we should get value out of him while we still can.

If there's no cap next year, we should trade him for a 2nd rounder and take 3 O-lineman in the first 2 rounds.

I think RB is a position on the field you can go cheap on, especially if you have a decent offensive line.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 7, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 7, 2009 3:26 PM

If Zorn were OC, he would be in the booth, just like Saunders. No offense to Sherman Smith, but a RB coach is not going to have the eyes for seeing how LBs and DBs are responding to offensive alignments and plays in the same way a seasoned WCO offensive coordinator is going to. OK, offense to Sherman Smith ... more accurately, offense (turned over to) Sherm Lewis. Its going to take a few weeks for Lewis to learn the playbook and progressions that Zorn came up with.

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

ryp, if you think someone is trading a 2nd for Portis, then you are delusional....

unless we trade him to ourselves, who wants a broke down, out of shape, on the decline, rb??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 7, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

soon after we bring in an O consultant, we're trying out wr's.... not a good sign

Posted by: mopp04 | October 7, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

@RickMaese reports, on Twitter:

Lewis started watching film with Zorn last night.

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 7, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

CP is PO'd that he's being shelved. And he's right.

Question, let's say you're doing your job well at your office. You were one of the top performers in your industry at your position.

There is no increased workload, but all of a sudden your boss brings in 3 other, fresh out of college, no nothing, newbs to help you with your work.... which you were handling just fine until accounting started messing w/ the TPS reports...

...how would YOU feel?!

They really are trying to break this man. It sucks.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 7, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

...how would YOU feel?!

They really are trying to break this man. It sucks.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 7, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

If I had bone spurs in my ankles, I think I'd be feeling alot of pain...

Posted by: p1funk | October 7, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

mopp, who'd we try out, can't access that linky?

ds, stop with that....JReid has stated on a chat a number of times that CP is out of shape. How about if he holds up his end of the deal, and he accepts some responsibility for his performance.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 7, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

freddie brown out of Utah... 7th round pick in the 2009 draft.. hes 6'3 215lbs....

Posted by: mopp04 | October 7, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

...how would YOU feel?!

They really are trying to break this man. It sucks.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 7, 2009 3:36 PM

I'd feel like I wanted to get a Super Bowl ring before I retire and figure I would do my job and hope that everyone else in the personnel acquisition and play calling does their's to get there.

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Dik, who is the "they" in your sentence "they really are trying to break this man"?

Cindy, ShermaL didn't talk to Zorn before he was hired... that's not a surprise, but it's sure awesome to have that confirmed. No reason to think this won't work really, really well.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 7, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

If Joseph Heller wrote Carlos' biography, it would be called 'Drop-22'

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 7, 2009 3:25 PM

Possibly post of the year...

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 7, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

mopp, thanks....can't be for anything but the practice squad right?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 7, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

mopp, who'd we try out, can't access that linky?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 7, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Some guy named Freddie Brown out of Utah State (7th round) who got cut by Bengals.

I guess with 3 young receivers already on the roster who can't seem to get into the game plan, they figure what's the harm in bringing on another, eh?

Posted by: p1funk | October 7, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Offensive consultant: Sherm Lewis
Owner consultant: Tom Cruise
EVP/GM consultant: Miss Teen S.Carolina?

Posted by: 4-12 | October 7, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

"@RickMaese reports, on Twitter:

HA HYSTERICAL!

"Sherm Lewis doesn't seem sure of his exact responsibilities either. Said he didn't speak to Zorn before accepting job."

WOW JUST WOW...

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

we did just get rid of shelton off the practice squad to make room for the backup punter.... should be for devin thomas

Posted by: mopp04 | October 7, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mopp04 | October 7, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Could those of you who still don't find fault with the front office please explain why we continue to work out skill positions and have yet to work out anyone who may be able to help out our civ-like offensive line?

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 7, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Bean - I know your thing nowadays is to hate on everything Redskins, but I don't think its farfetched. The guy is 10th in the league in rushing besides running behind probably the worst O-line run blocking team in the league. He's a great blocker and brings it on game days. He'll only be 29 at the start of next season. If we're dumb enough to give up a 2nd and 6th for JT at 34, someone will be dumb enough to give up a 2nd for CP at 29.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 7, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

mopp, thanks....can't be for anything but the practice squad right?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 7, 2009 3:42 PM

If they were ready to relese Trent Shelton, then if the #1 punter does get better (and the inevitable and unfortunate consequence for Mr. Boom), then they would need another WR on the practice squad.

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update, Cindy. Your post @ 3:36 PM is certainly a noodle-scratcher.

Has anyone really thought this Sherman thing through?

Posted by: Alan4 | October 7, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

"@RickMaese reports, on Twitter:

HA HYSTERICAL!

WOW JUST WOW...

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I know!

It's almost as ridiculous as someone hiring an offensive coordinator before they even hire a head coach!

I mean, who would do such a backasswards...err, never mind.

Posted by: p1funk | October 7, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 7, 2009 3:33 PM

Great use context of the word 'bama'.

BUT....It's usually only used once per sentence. It gets repeptitive using it 2 or more times since you already pointed out eveything Portis does is a bama. But it is acceptable if you typed that in anger/frustration....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 7, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe people are hung up on this. This is a bush league cerrato move, because cerrato is bush league. Instead of being a man, direct and saying, hey Jim Zorn, we are not pleased, you may not have a job if this keeps happening, he hires some nobody from the past to passively watch over "offensive developement." The Skins is a close 2nd to the raider's in the worst managed NFL team.
K thx bai.

Posted by: BMACattack | October 7, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Every team does this, with RBs especially; no one has any clue how long they're going to last. Shaun Alexander and L.T. went from the top of their game to nothing quicker than Carlos Rogers bumbling an interception. F Dallas. And besides, it doesn't matter who they bring in, no one is going to look good running behind that bad joke of a line.

Posted by: Megskin | October 7, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

WOW JUST WOW...

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 3:43 PM

My takeaway was not "wow," but rather "VINNY!" (to the sound of "NEWMAN!").

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 7, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Assuming that there is someone else out there as stupid as Snyderatto is a very shaky limb to go out on...

Posted by: p1funk | October 7, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Well, I believe they is Jim Zorn, mainly. But I'm calling out anyone on the staff who is allowing for the 'comittee' concept at RB. And I believe it's all in the payback for 'undermining' Zorn last season.

I understand the concept of 'team'. And Portis does too. I believe his point is, as Haney, Casserly, 'sprotz machine' Michaels and others have made: this isn't one!

And you others - my question wasn't about running back for the Skins or any other team - it was a question about you in your job. That happens and what do you do? Seriously? You sit there and take it? Big ups, boss! Thanks for all the confidence?! I wouldn't. I don't think you would either.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 7, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Every team does this, with RBs especially; ...

Posted by: Megskin | October 7, 2009 3:47 PM

Good point. More evidence that Skins are becoming the East Coast Broncos.

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

"Sherm Lewis doesn't seem sure of his exact responsibilities either."

Uh oh.

"Said he didn't speak to Zorn before accepting job."

Why does this sound like something the Raiders might do, and not something the Steelers or Pats might do?

I admire Snyder's drive to win, but I hate the way he appears to undermine the authority and leadership of people he hires (with Gibbs being the exception).

Posted by: Alan4 | October 7, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

ryp, there is ZERO chance he'll be traded, and even LESS chance it would be for a 2nd. None. Zip, zero, its just not going to happen....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 7, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

The fact that Zorn and Lewis didn't even speak before the hiring occurred is so telling of how dysfunctional the team management is.

They have this insane notion that they can mix a bunch of individual ingredients together and create a football explosion, but the ingredients aren't mixing together and all they're getting is toxic slime.

Posted by: REXskins | October 7, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 7, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

True, but I think there are rules against trading with yourself.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 7, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

ds, who exactly did the redskins bring in that was so offensive to you/CP.....was it Mason?? He's gotten what 5 carries this year?? Was it aldridge??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 7, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Here is the latest verizon commercial featuring Carlos Rogers.

Carlos Rogers is standing on the football field with a jersey on. In the front of the jersey has the words SIGNAL, Out of nowhere footballs start getting tossed his way and he does what he usually does, drops them.

Then the announcer guys says tired of drop signals, then the verizon dude comes out of the football tunnel catches the football and says

Can you hear me now?

Posted by: GreatOne1 | October 7, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

"Taking the job, Lewis had to cancel his Bingo plans yesterday and Meals On Wheels shift today. Seriously.""

I am still not over this line....redskins tweet of the year. That is just priceless. I love Sherm now.

Sherm to retirement community cronies:

"F bingo, folks I just hit the snyder-pot! One of you is going to win $500 bucks tonight and i am going to pocket a hundred thousand bucks for 3 months work. And someone tell Mrs. Aukerman in 311B I am not satisfying her needs no matter how many times she shows up at the door to collect her chicken pot pie in an open house coat. Buh Bye suckas!"

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

If this whole consultant escapade somehow works for the positive, how long until the NFL introduces "Sherm Parity"?

I mean, there aren't that many to go around, and we've now got two of them.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 7, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

For anyone who missed it, I strongly urge a listen to Mike Wise' interview of George Michaels re: The Owner and Vinny. Steinbog, of course, bogs on it ... so its full on meta, but it has the link to the interview:

[Also, I disgree that Vinny should get credit for Horton. That was Dewayne Walker finding a friendly (read well paying) home for one of his players. Either that, or Marocco Brown. I'm giving no credit for anything. Ever. F Dallas.]

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

But don't you think that would be the SMART thing to do, if we COULD get a 2nd for him? Or 3rd, or whatever you think he's worth? I think some SMART team out there would realize he is still a good player stuck on a bad team. If he were on the Giants right now, he'd probably be almost at the top of the league.

Especially if we're "blowing" it up this offseason? New QB, new coach? Use what assets we have to garner draft picks? Build the lines, finally?

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 7, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I think Sherman Klump is still available.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 7, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Geez CL - you capture (f dallas) the nursing home vibe perfectly there...

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 7, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Reports a disheartened, but inexplicably lucky Mrs. Aukerman, "MAH JONG!"

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

No ryp, given his poison pill type contract it wouldnt be smart for a team to do.

I am still a CP supporter/admirer but your pimpin a loser argument there...

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

ryp, sure, in fantasy land, its a great move, but why settle for a 2nd, we should get multiple firsts....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 7, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

This Sherman thing is a great example of what is wrong with the snyder and vinny. They think they are helping, but really just making things worse. Yeah, thats what I would want another guy looking over my shoulder telling me how to do my job. As if he didn't already have enough. Vinny is a reject. The guy wouldn't be in the NFL period if it wasn't for his buddy Snyder. Sad thing is Snyder does not even realize that he is the problem. Just because he is a good businessman does not mean he is a good owner.

Posted by: Redskins001 | October 7, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

From @RickMaese, just live :

Sherman Smith: “I don’t think he’s going to tell us something we don’t already know. I think we’re doing the scheme the right way..."

"If he sees something in our scheme that we don’t see, I hope he’ll tell us. That’ll help us. We think it’s about execution."

Posted by: Cindy Boren | October 7, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 3:53 PM

Sorry...I gotta call you and others out on this.

He was retired. Doing meals on wheels everyday to delver a meal to people who can't get out of the house or can't afford it is a big thing no one uplifts.

My grandfather and uncle used this service for 5 whole years and it brought light into my GF's life.

And Sherman is 60-something. Was in the NFL half his life. He was prob enjoing great-grand kids and life overall. Why you gotta clown the guy for playing bingo?

To me, that's simialar to those who just fish all day after retirement.

Bingo = Fantasy Football for seniors

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 7, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

From the times, oh, and 4th, thats my plan to a T, the fishing thing:

At wind-blown Redskin Park, only three players aren't practicing.

DT Cornelius Griffin (elbow), P Hunter Smith (groin) and DT Anthony Montgomery (knee).

Montgomery has ruled himself out for Sunday's game in Carolina. Smith is unlikely to play. Griffin is expected to start.

The Redskins will have to make a roster move to allow P Glenn Pakulak to be eligible to play. Don't be surprised if it's a situation where a player is cut on Friday and re-signed on Tuesday if Smith's injury allows him to get ready for Kansas City.

New offensive consultant Sherm Lewis was also on the field. He just observed the offensive team meeting this morning. The first full offensive staff meeting doesn't take place until later this afternoon.

The players, as expected, endorsed the addition of Lewis but said in the end it's up to them to execute better.

"I can't see how it can't help," FB Mike Sellers said. "It can't get any worse."

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 7, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: yondego | October 7, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I can't see how it can't help," FB Mike Sellers said. "It can't get any worse."

This, in all F DALLAS seriousness, is very telling and VERY concerning

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 7, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Congrats 4th you won today's "Taking siht to seriously" award....

yeah duh we get it....Sherm sounds like a good old dude (semi old 60 IS the new 40)

But if you can't see the humor in that....well as I said earlier "Whiff"

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Typically one makes outrageous statements about how good you were (and still are), how you're gonna get your TPS reports in faster than anyone else, type quicker, drill down and start kicking ass for real, stop reading RI during work hours, then go out and blow it in an unspectacular display of ineptitude and claim it wasn't your fault - that it was just an accident, couldn't be helped blah blah blah, thus verifying what they thought of you in the first place. F LaDainian Tomlinson.

Posted by: Megskin | October 7, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I don't care for this Vinny Cerrato.

He brings to mind the worst type of bosses.

Allegedly, Zorn talks to his bosses every day. If Vinny wants to actually support his coach, and not undermine him, wouldn't he let Zorn get on the phone and call Sherm Lewis? Wouldn't Zorn and Lewis discuss the team, and both have a clear idea of what Lewis would do BEFORE actually being hired?

I really don't care for this Vinny Ceratto person.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 7, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Redskins001 | October 7, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

He knows he is the problem. He just doesn't care that he's the problem. As was recently observed on the radio, "Snyder wants to win more than he wants to have a winner." If he isn't making the moves that lead to winning, he would rather lose.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 7, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

In between wheels for meals deliveries, Sherm used to blog Up Here. A lot.
Really likes Priest Holmes.
Not sayin', just sayin'.

Posted by: daggar | October 7, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

If Zorn is making the calls from the field, what is the point for two guys in the booth?

It seems like the Snyder/Cerrato are giving Zorn a chance to make things better. If Smith can do that and is inclined later, can he work his way into Offensive Coordinator with play calling responsibility?

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 7, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis passed Earl Campbell on the All TIme Rushing list and NO ONE in the local media points this out?

Example of Hating.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 7, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

"Redskins fans have, without a doubt, got to be the worst fans in the world. But you certainly know how to run a football team, if the coaches would only listen to you. duh!

Posted by: yondego

Really if in worst you mean helping team to be regularly in the top 3 most profitable pro teams in U.S. sports....

Also I love this "fans should shut up" crap. How about polling the league and owners if they agree as this rabid interest drives profits through the roof.

The Monday nite game was the highest rated Cable TV show EVER!

But yeah they want disengaged fans...

shut up dumb azz and get back to reading "The Secret"

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

What are the chances that Zorn would sign off on something like this. I think the FO is trying to do what they have to do to right the ship with what they have available right now. They cant go back at this point and get lineman.

This is the only way to have an outside person come in and clearly state whether or not Zorn is capable of being a winning head coach.

Before it was "why arent they doing anything" now its "why are they doing this"

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 7, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

From @RickMaese, just live :

Posted by: Cindy Boren | October 7, 2009 4:01 PM

Sherm Lewis to Sherman Smith: "I think the problem here is that the offensive line totally telegraphs when they are in pass protection or run protection ... and then they don't get much power into either."

Sherman Smith to Sherm Lewis: "I want to clarify what you said right there ... what you mean is that 'players just need to execute better,' right?"

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

517 yards to 10K, that's when he gets some press. By then he'll be in the top 25 all-time. Until then, 'whatever' is an appropriate term.

Posted by: Megskin | October 7, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor

Wrong!

"4th Floor is such a bama, that if someone told his ol' bama azz that he was, he'd tell that bama mf'er to go f himself."

Basically 'bama' is the "play-nice" for mf'er.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 7, 2009 4:11 PM

That Motorola headset he wears gets more than just XM radio. F Dallas.

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

"What are the chances that Zorn would sign off on something like this"

From all reports and his own statements: 0%

its not "doing nothing vs something" its about being systemically proactive not hysterically reactive.

if they announce this move, or similar coach shake up in feb/march you think, hey they saw some trends the last 8 games of last season and are looking to scaffold a situation in which Zorn can grow/be challenged and evolve as a coach. Now its as many have said, like something out of Office Space.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Example of Hating.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 7, 2009 4:11 PM

Is this what you want 4th:

"Clinton Portis is no longer the 27th leading rusher in NFL history. He now has more yards than Earl Campbell, and is now 26th all time."

Man, that's exciting.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 7, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

"The Monday nite game was the highest rated Cable TV show EVER!" - cL

Which one?

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

No one is giving us a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Portis. Maybe we can get a 4th. He is on the down hill and going down fast. People need to get off this Portis love. The guy is out of shape. He could have had some big runs against the Bucs last week. Maybe for touchdowns. No speed at all. I know the offense line is weak but they did open some holes last week.

Posted by: TheJury | October 7, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

"The Monday nite game was the highest rated Cable TV show EVER!" - cL

Which one?

Posted by: RedDMV

vikes vs packers i think beating out a game earlier this season...

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Beep

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 7, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

"hey they saw some trends the first 4 games of this season and are looking to scaffold a situation in which Zorn can grow/be challenged and evolve as a coach"

couldn't you simply change it to read, the first 4 games of this year, and the same thing applies?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 7, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

And a quick googles finds the other local "newspaper" did mention it.

Bama.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 7, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Look...I'm just sayin he's getting up there on the list. They usually put stuff out there like this when HOFers are passed in stats.

@cL - You're right. I'm too uptight

@RedDMV - You averaged a F in English class waaaay back when, huh Bama?

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 7, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

DVR, esp. b/c you can watch games in slo mo, is really cool. The thing about offensive coordinators (and guys who had watched a ton of film), is that they can watch games in real time and see the same as we do in slo mo DVR. Two guys in the booth SHOULD be able to help out a lot (assuming that the head phone cross chatter doesn't become TMI for Zorn during the game).

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Signs Zorn is in trouble lines:

Zorn is a dead man walking in Ashburn.

Zorn hears the wolves at the door.

Zorn feels the walls closing in on him.

The handwriting is on the wall for Zorn.

Zorn's days are numbered as coach of the Redskins.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I think Snyder is bringing Sherman in, so he can fire Zorn on the bye week if he wants to. I think he will try to promote Blache and make Sherman the O.C. I really like how Snyder hires people and then gives them no vote of confidence and then fires them without really giving them a fair chance. Zorn was never a O.C., Snyder knew that before he hired him, so he knew Zorn would be learning on the job, which was going to lead to some mistakes. If Snyder would have hired Greg Williams and let Zorn be the OC then we would have been better off. Well I doubt it because Snyder wouldn't have given him a fair shot either. It is like a bad soap opera that we can't turn off because we love the Skins. Everyone who thinks Zorn should be fired are really just agreeing with Snyder and blaming the wrong person.

Posted by: Redskins001 | October 7, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Thank goodness about Tryon. I thought we'd never find a replacement for Leigh Torrence in the slot.

Posted by: HighPlainsDrifter | October 7, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse