Phillip Daniels: Redskins 'want me back'

Veteran defensive end Phillip Daniels confirmed he has an offer to return to the Redskins next season.

"They want me back," Daniels said Monday in a phone interview. "They sent an offer out to me and we're analyzing that now. We'll get back with them early this week and we'll see what happens. But they do want me back."

Daniels, who turns 37 on Thursday, suffered a season-ending torn anterior cruciate ligament on the first day of training camp in 2008. Last season, Daniels was the Redskins' winner of the Ed Block Courage Award, presented to a player from each team who displays courage amid adversity. The award, named for longtime Baltimore Colts trainer Ed Block, was first presented in 1978.

Daniels played in every game last season, starting 15, despite being slowed for much of the season because of a torn right biceps. According to NFL.com, Daniels was credited with 35 tackles, including 24 unassisted, and one sack.

"They realize that you need leaders and that I'm a guy who works hard," Daniels said. "They know they can trust me if I say I'm going to do something. Last year, I told them I was coming back, I would be healthy and ready to go. And I was ready to go, so I think they trust me a lot more because of what I went through and I came back from it."

Because of his size and strength, Daniels has played end and tackle during his five seasons with the Redskins. Coach Mike Shanahan is expected to switch the defense from a 4-3 base front to a 3-4, and the Redskins envision Daniels primarily being part of their end rotation.

"I'd be one of the ends, no doubt," Daniels said. "I think we've got the personnel. Really, truly, every team's got the personnel to do anything they want to. It's the character of the guys that play the defense. Guys just have to be willing to go out there and do it. That's the main thing.

"And with our team, I think we've got the type of guys who are willing to go out and try something different. Anything that can help us be more aggressive on defense and win more games, I'll all for. I fit both schemes. I'm hearing they might use both schemes. Everybody just has to buy into it. That's the main thing."

By Jason Reid  |  March 1, 2010; 9:28 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Samuels expected to announce retirement Thursday
Next: Real evaluations, for Redskins, will come at players' pro days

Comments

Good stuff. Good Stuff. This looks to be Daniels segway to coaching right here.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 1, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Well could be worse, this could be about Portis...

Posted by: skinball77 | March 1, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Every time I think Daniels is done, the Skins keep pulling...him...back...in!

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 1, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I saw that when you posted it LS...just wasn't sure if it was really on my screen or if I hallucinated it.

Peppers people need to stop with this stuff. This ain't Madden.

Moe, as much as I would love to make yet another trip to Canton, I seriously doubt Chris Samuels is a Hall of Famer. He was a really good player on a really bad team most of the time and he made half his Pro-Bowls on reputation alone. Plus I have a hard time seeing anyone make the case that he was considered the best LT in the game at any point in his career.

He'll be in our ring of honor, but that's about it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 1, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

"Some within the organization have privately raised concerns about Shanahan's plan, citing apparent personnel problems to making such a switch."

Here's the thing and maybe some of you will agree...

The Redskins didn't have HUGE gaping holes on defense like they do on offense. I still believe in my heart that it was Blache's crappy zone coverages that hurt the defense last year. Even so, they still had a very formiddable defense last year that was put in bad situations by the lack of offense/turnovers.

Why "blow up" the defense???

I sure hope all of this is, is just banter but they need to be focusing on offense, not whole sale changes to thier defense.

They don't need Peppers, they have Orakpo. They don't need to switch to a 3-4 (not immediately anyway) they just don't have the bodies to do so.

I believe in Shanahan, I just don't get the philosophy right now. Maybe a light will turn on during the season, we'll see. But I think this isn't the most pressing need right now.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | March 1, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

"He'll be in our ring of honor, but that's about it."

Ok, put it this way...

Joe Jacoby or Chris Samuels???

That's all you have to ask yourself about who belongs in the HOF.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | March 1, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

"Guys just have to be willing to go out there and do it."

I bet he's talking about Haynesworth.

Posted by: Salinas1 | March 1, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I think Rams take Bradford, then 2 DL go in the draft, McCoy and Suh are rated to high for them to slip that much.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 1, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I think you're right and that's how it will work out. I see Okung falling to us at #4. I see the Lions taking McCoy and the Bucs taking Suh. They could take Okung but I doubt it. Jim Scwartz has said that he thinks Backus should have made the pro bowl last year. They also owe Backus a ton of money and he said he will not switch inside to guard. There are also people in that organization that feel much of the offensive line struggles are due to the interior line and not the tackles. They also felt that there were a lot of blown blocking assignments by the RB, FB, and TEs. This all doesn't even get into the degree of their defensive struggles. They were last again in defense. They need a defensive tackle badly. They are starting Gravy Jackson. He's that big dude that played in Atlanta as a third down short yardage run stuffer. This team doesn't generate any pressure from the front four. They have 3 decent defensive linemen adding 1 more will make their dline a top notch unit and Jaoson Hunter will probably explode this season. They can also generate pressure without blitzing. That would make the entire defense better. I just don't see then replacing Backus who is slightly below average while neglecting the defensive tackle position which is one of the worst in the league. I'd also wager that if the Lions didn't like the DTs they'd go for Eric Berry before Okung. The Lions gave up a lot of sacks but if you look at it they are only about 22nd in sacks on average. Thay had to pass a lot more last year because their running back got hurt. I'd say they go DL in the first and RB or Guard in the second.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 1, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Peppers' lack of passion makes him a risky bet

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 21, 2010 11:48 AM ET

We've heard Julius Peppers called the biggest impact unrestricted free agent since Reggie White, but Reggie White never had people questioning his effort.

Peppers' up-and-down career, marked by periods of brilliance and games where he disappeared, makes him a hard player to evaluate on the open market.

"I wouldn't touch him, for that money and what he gives you,'' an ex-Panthers personnel man told the Boston Globe.

"He could end up costing some personnel guy his job,'' an AFC scout said. "I'm terrified of him. In my heart of hearts, I believe that if you pay this guy, I don't think you'll see a double-digit sack [season] again the rest of his career.''

SI's Ross Tucker, who played against Peppers, also wrote a column this week questioning Peppers' work ethic. Even ex-teammates like Brentson Buckner are quoted by the Globe's Albert Breer marveling at his skill, but wondering about his love for football.

Peppers' superhuman talent and strong finish to the season will make him a very rich man. He absolutely destroyed the Vikings and the Giants in Panthers victories.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 1, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Again, NO THANKS to Peppers

Though he'll get paid, Peppers isn't expected to get what he wants

Posted by Mike Florio on February 27, 2010 10:48 AM ET

As Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers inches toward becoming a free agent, there's a prevailing belief in league circles that he will get paid.

But the thinking is that he won't get what he wants.

Per a league source, Peppers likely will land in the Dwight Freeney/Jared Allen/DeMarcus Ware ballpark, with an average value in the range of $12 million to $13 million, and guaranteed money in the neighborhood of $30 million.

Peppers is believed to be looking for an average of $18 million or more, given that he earned $18 million last year with the Panthers.

That said, all it takes is one team to blow the curve -- and/or two teams to spark an auction.

It'll be interesting see whether Peppers signs quickly, or whether he ends up waiting for a few days in the hopes of getting what he wants. If he has inked a deal by sunrise on the first day of free agency, it means that someone has decided to give him what he wants.

And it also means that there was just as much tampering with Peppers as there was a year ago with Albert Haynesworth.

Unless, that is, the Redskins managed to negotiate a $100 million contract from scratch in 5.5. hours. While Haynesworth's agent was also entertaining offers from multiple other teams.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 1, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 1, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Tampering and the Rooney Rule are Florio's two favorite subjects.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | March 1, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you Diesel, the free agent boners at Redskins Park need to stop. Time to draft and develop our own Julius Peppers instead of overpaying to get someone else's at the end of their career.

One could argue we already have. His name is Brian Orakpo.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 1, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Dan LeFevour = Cutler 2.0?

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 1, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I think that the skins are probably a better 4-3 team right now than a 3-4 team. We only need to tweek our defense if we stay in the 4-3. If we go to the 3-4 then we have to do a few more things. I don't think that Haynesworth will be as effective in the 3-4. We would also have to add some more LB's as well. Do I believe that we can do it and be good as well, yes. I could see this coming a mile away. You thought we bought in all these 3-4 coaches to run a 4-3. The 3-4 is getting ready to happpen real soon. We might bring in a NT that has already played in the 3-4 scheme. Maybe we can bring in Williams from the Chargers. Either way it goes, I believe in our coaching staff and our head coach. SKINS FOR LIFE.

Posted by: louloudekdek1 | March 1, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Not our Redskins, but I love seeing ANYONE take it Dallas:

Sean Payton gives the Cowboys some extra motivation
Posted by Mike Florio on March 1, 2010 10:03 AM ET
As the New Orleans Saints continue their extended victory lap with the Lombardi Trophy, word has emerged of a pair of Indianapolis indignities that will make one of the only teams to beat the Saints in 2009 even more determined to knock them off in 2010.

The story comes from Peter King of SI.com.

The Saints' staff had dinner on Friday night at St. Elmo Steakhouse. Coach Sean Payton wanted a magnum of Caymus Special Selection cabernet sauvignon. (We assume that opening the bottle entailed no unscrewing.)

The only problem? Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was hosting his staff in the same room the next night, and Jones had phoned ahead and reserved a bottle of the same wine. But there was only one left.

Payton insisted, and in continuation of a recent trend he won.

It wasn't enough for Payton to secure the wine. The next night, when the Cowboys arrived, the empty bottle was on the table with a handwritten note on the label: "WHO DAT! World Champions XLIV, Sean Payton."

Did we mention that the Saints play in Dallas this year?

And why do we suddenly have a strange feeling that the Saints are going to sign T.O.?

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 1, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Peppers @ 18 Mil/yr

OR

Karlos Dansby ILB 8 mil
Justin Bannon NT 4 mil
Chester Pitts RG 5 mil
Diesel44 GM 1 mil
Total 18 mil

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 1, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Dan LeFevour = Cutler 2.0?

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 1, 2010 10:13 AM

Hopefully...but without the INTs, of course

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 1, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Diesel44 GM 1 mil

no way, you sign that guy and he'll balloon up 50-100 pounds overnight, also I've heard he's a jane/jane type, looks like jane, plays like jane....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 1, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I think he'll be an upgrade for the original version.

HEre are the picks for the 1st 2 rounds:

#4 - Antohny Davis (Bradford and Okung already will be gone)

#37 - LeFevuor

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 1, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Karlos Dansby ILB 8 mil
Justin Bannon NT 4 mil
Chester Pitts RG 5 mil
Diesel44 GM 1 mil
Total 18 mil

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 1, 2010 10:19 AM

Save for naming yourself GM, I'm with you on that Diesel. That was the basis for my argument against Haynesworth last year...we could have landed Jason Brown, Chris Canty and a couple other guys for the same price as Haynesworth alone. How bad do we need those guys right now?

That that's the past...let's learn from it and move forward, not back to the old way of doing things.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 1, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Diesel44 GM 1 mil

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 1, 2010 10:19 AM

You bat .1000 on here and expect the Skins to pay you 1 mil?

Don't let the fact that the most of us are batting worse inflate your worth.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 1, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Weeks ago we had the our pick of the highest rated OT or QB falling to us @ #4. Just our luck, seems like the player that we need (Bradford or King Okung) are so close yet not there for the taking! Thanks alot football gods! We've got the right coach I guess we can't have it all. Or can we? Make it happen Bruce "the future is now!"

Posted by: sthai75 | March 1, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Karlos Dansby ILB 8 mil
Justin Bannon NT 4 mil
Chester Pitts RG 5 mil
Diesel44 GM 1 mil
Total 18 mil

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 1, 2010 10:19 AM

WFT?? Diesel44 GM 1 mil!!!

How much saving in the contracts for CP, ARE, Carter? The Skins might be able to have their cake and eat it too.

Posted by: TWISI | March 1, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 1, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Right on. I'm trying to temper my expectations, but I'm having high hopes of Okung being there at #4 (assuming we don't trade down, which would actually be my first preference).

I think to make it work, though, the Rams need to take a QB at #1 instead of a D-tackle.

If the Rams take a D-tackle, I think Lions also definitely take a D-tackle and in that scenario, I see Bucs taking Okung.

Posted by: p1funk | March 1, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

#4 - Antohny Davis (Bradford and Okung already will be gone)

#37 - LeFevuor

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 1, 2010 10:23 AM

Pass on Davis at #4. He will be a guard in the NFL. This is how Don Banks rated his performance at the combine: "In the top tier of offensive linemen, only Rutgers tackle Anthony Davis rated as something of a disappointment in Saturday's workout. He wasn't anywhere near as fluid or nimble in his drill work as most of the other high-profile tackles."

Posted by: League-Source | March 1, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Dan LeFevour = Cutler 2.0?

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 1, 2010 10:13 AM

With Cutler and Martz working together in Chicago, I'm expecting the single-season INT record to be broken next year.

In my fantasy league, I am going to play whichever defense goes against the Bears every week and feast on the turnovers...

Posted by: p1funk | March 1, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Bucs will take Berry at 3 if both DT are gone.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 1, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Rams ready to part ways with Alex Barron
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 1, 2010 10:40 AM ET
St. Louis offensive tackle Alex Barron started all 16 games last year for the Rams. But the team may be ready to part ways with him.

Barron, who has five years of NFL experience, is set to become a restricted free agent. And Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the Rams informed Barron's agents Sunday night that they will be asking for only second-round draft pick compensation when they turn their tender offers into the league office this week.

Basically, even though the Rams are entitled to get first-round compensation for Barron, they want the rest of the league to know that Barron is available and that they'd be happy to take a second-round draft pick for him.

The Rams expect Jason Smith, last year's second overall draft pick, to be this year's starter at left tackle. And rather than play Barron at right tackle, they'd like to look elsewhere for a right tackle, and pick up an extra second-round pick.

Posted by: TWISI | March 1, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | March 1, 2010 10:43 AM |

Not following?

What does the Lions selecting Bradford have to do with Okung going to Detriot?

Those are 2 sepreate needs. Every team but a few need a DT.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 1, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sthai75 | March 1, 2010 10:26 AM

Was the draft his weekend? I thought that was the combine. Isn't the draft on April 22? I think the NFL groundhog saw his shadow and we've got six more weeks of this nonsense.

Posted by: League-Source | March 1, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I meant Rams selecting Bradford...

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 1, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | March 1, 2010 10:43 AM |

Not following?

What does the Lions selecting Bradford have to do with Okung going to Detriot?

Those are 2 sepreate needs. Every team but a few need a DT.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 1, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

??

First off, I was talking about the Rams (not Lions) selecting Bradford, and the thinking goes like this:

If Rams take a QB, that leaves the 2 DTs on the board.

Lions have made a big deal about not needing a left tackle, and so I think they are going to take a DT.

The Bucs could use both a LT or a DT. I think that if one of the DTs (McCoy or Suh) are there, then they will go with that pick. But if one of the DTs is not there (which would be the case if Rams take a DT and Lions take a DT), then they are going to take Okung.

Posted by: p1funk | March 1, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | March 1, 2010 10:44 AM

Combine drills mean nothing. If the combine was a true measure of how a player would project than Vernon Gholston would have been among the league leaders in sacks last year. That being said people should be to high on Bruce Campbell and should not be dropping Davis to the second round because of a Don Banks observation

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 1, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Bucs will take Berry at 3 if both DT are gone.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 1, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

They need help in their secondary, but #3 is a high pick to spend on a safety when the team has alot of needs.

I envision them looking at a stud tackle to protect Freeman, though I hope they don't.

Posted by: p1funk | March 1, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I don't see the Redskins signing Peppers... I think this is a Jay Cutler situation... Tell everyone your interested, drive the price up a lil bit, & make someone pay more than they wanted to.

I don't see the problem with Haynesworth being the NT in 3-4, but he better get his AZZ in good shape... he needs to work out with Orakpo this summer. The dude has made 30+ million in last 2 years before even playing his next game. I still believe he is the best DL in the league but was completely under-utilized by Blache. Blache D, although good, is way to vanilla up front for me... I wanna see stunts & blitzing used to free him up more... Albert was fighting with Blache last year & was sick of not being listened to... this would cause issue for anybody on the job... I hear people say he's not worth the money, but damn, the Skins told dude they were going to find ways to utilize him & they lied cause old school Blache kept running the same plays like it was Golston & Montgomery. Eat up space & let LB's make plays.

I think the Skins need an OLB or ILB more so than another DL that can't cover... I'm surprised we are not hearing more about Antonio Pierce... With 2 guys as smart as Fletcher & Pierce in the middle to go with McIntosh on one side & Orakpo on the other... wouldn't that work in 3-4??... not to mention Pierce played OLB here before moving to ILB.

Sign a FA like Ryan Clark to play FS & move LL to SS... Sign one of these FA CB's if you like them better than Rogers... Damn, doesn't seem as big a deal to bring our defense up to speed quickly & concentrate on the offense.

Posted by: tony325 | March 1, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

p1funk - See my correction...

What does the Rams selecting Bradford have to do with Okung going to Detriot?

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 1, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 1, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Remember how Andre Smith apparently "dropped" to the 3rd round last year b/c of combine issues??

Whatever.

How concerned are people about Bruce Campbell's injury history? Dude had trouble staying healthy at Maryland. It's not like the rigors of the game get easier in the pros.

Posted by: p1funk | March 1, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

p1funk - See my correction...

What does the Rams selecting Bradford have to do with Okung going to Detriot?

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 1, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

See my response above.

I don't think Okung will go to Detroit. I think Detroit takes a DT.

The issue is the Bucs pick.

Posted by: p1funk | March 1, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I'm surprised we are not hearing more about Antonio Pierce...

Posted by: tony325 | March 1, 2010 10:57 AM

Pierce is busted up and done. He'd be as useful as Shawn Springs -- looks good on the bench in a suit.

Posted by: League-Source | March 1, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | March 1, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I could see that being the case. A lot of people assume the Bucs may take Berry there but they have already a free safety. I think they would want a true cornerback or a strong safety before they took a free safety. Their safeties just ran into a little legal trouble but nothing major. I just can't see them taking Berry with Jermiane Phillips and Tenard Jackson already on the roster. I think they would go for Okung. Despite their line offering great pass protection they can't go anywhere in the run game. They need an elite left tackle that can offer both pass pro and run blocking. Okung just makes more sense to me. Hopefully the Rams take Braford then Lions and Bucs both take DTs. That would give us Okung. I believe we will probably get Okung but if anything is for certain it's that the NFL draft is not. Hopefully Bradford's arm checks out and the Rams like him.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 1, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Cant argue the logic P1. I just think they may grab Berry, but the LT pick would not surprise me if both DT are off he board.

New ownership in STL. Gotta think they go Bradford 1 if he gets cleared and looks ok at his pro day. That team needs some reason for the fans to show up with a hope of building something. They have the LT, they need a marquee name and position to build around. Bradford fits ~IF~ the shoulder is ok.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 1, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | March 1, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

We don't have a second round pick and I'm not sure I would even want to spend one on Alex Barron.

It's not like the Rams were known for their stalwart pass protection last season.

Posted by: p1funk | March 1, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

This should be a red meat filled week with all of the RFA offers getting made.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 1, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

We are just going off of difference of opinion.

Rams won't let Bradford pass them.

And the Lions Won't let Okung them pass them.

The Bucs an pick whichever DT they want.

And we will be stuck with the 2nd best LT prospect with the #4 pick. Not great value.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 1, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | March 1, 2010 11:03 AM

I agree with you. I'm not a fan of his. I know some on the blog are Barron fans.

Posted by: TWISI | March 1, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I'm surprised we are not hearing more about Antonio Pierce...

Posted by: tony325 | March 1, 2010 10:57 AM

A middle linebacker with a rickety spine.

What more is there to say?

Posted by: p1funk | March 1, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | March 1, 2010 10:58 AM

Big concerns I read about relate to his game tapes. His agent talks the talk, but he hasn't walked the walk.

Posted by: League-Source | March 1, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I propose we trade JC and next year's #2 pick for Alex Barron and the Rams' 3rd round pick this year.

Posted by: coparker5 | March 1, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

From RI:

"But perhaps Shanahan and new defensive coordinator Jim Haslett will unveil some innovative approach that will enable Haynesworth to break free from offensive linemen and get to the quarterback while also fulfilling all the other duties they will ask of him at the center of the line."

And perhaps someday some dud will figure out how to square the circle (hint - it can't be done). But AH will be more than happy to occupy OL-ers while his DL homie Dr. Peppers racks up sacks and pub raves by the score. Heh, heh.

Posted by: PsyOps | March 1, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Whatever.

Posted by: p1funk | March 1, 2010 10:58 AM

Im not sure of the point you are trying to make here, but you are proving my point that aside from a poor interview the combine results should not affect a teams draft board one way or the other.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 1, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

We are just going off of difference of opinion.

Rams won't let Bradford pass them.

And the Lions Won't let Okung them pass them.

The Bucs an pick whichever DT they want.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 1, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

The Lions are making a big deal about loving Backus at their LT. They owe him alot of $$, and he was voted the team's best lineman last year. The head coach even made some comments about how he should have gotten consideration for the Pro Bowl.

So unless it's a big smoke-screen, that's with I'm going with.

And their defense is garbage. It's Ernie Simms playing with 10 holograms.

Posted by: p1funk | March 1, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 1, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Yes. I'm agreeing with you.

Posted by: p1funk | March 1, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

barron held Jared Allen without a sack when they played, so he's got some skills, were he available for nothing as a UFA, I'd sign him, and stick him at RT....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 1, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

The Lions' LT is 32 years old and a liability in the pass protection.

MArtin MAyhew got everybody thrown off his scent...but I follow...

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 1, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 1, 2010 11:02 AM |

Too risky. If the dud tanks then they lose whatever is left of their shrinking fan base. Will pick Suh, the closest thing there is to slam dunk in draft.

Posted by: PsyOps | March 1, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Barron available?
10:57AM ET
Alex Barron | Rams
Top Email

We had heard rumblings already this offseason that the St. Louis Rams would move 2009 first-rounder Jason Smith to left tackle in 2010, and that the future was uncertain for Alex Barron, who had started there this past season. There's been an interesting development in St. Louis as we head into the free agency period, though: the Rams are only placing a second round tender on Barron, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, essentially putting him out there as trade bait.

It's a pretty deep tackle class in the draft, but we could see some offers for Barron prior to April from teams looking to improve their OL.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 1, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 1, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 1, 2010 11:11 AM

No, Andre Smith shows why the combine should be considered. There were all sorts of issues with him at the combine related to attitude, work ethic. Cincinnati drafted him #6. The guy was a holdout, one of the last to be signed before Crabtree. He showed up out of shape, got injured, played in six games and started only one.

How's that for ignoring the combine? Good performance for a #6 pick?

Posted by: League-Source | March 1, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 1, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

How about Carlos Rogers for Alex Barron straight up??

Any takers?

Posted by: p1funk | March 1, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Why can't Suh/McCoy play nose with AH at DE in a 3/4?

(And yes, I'm still all for getting Okung at 4 or trading back)

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 1, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

(And yes, I'm still all for getting Okung at 4 or trading back)

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 1, 2010 11:21 AM

Here's my proposed trade back: We give up pick #4 to some team drafting in the top ten. We get their #2 and #3 this year plus their #1 and #3 next year. They get a difference-maker, we get more picks this year in the deep draft plus we position ourselves to get one of the elite QBs next year.

Posted by: League-Source | March 1, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 1, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Interesting, though I don't know how "moving down" for the Lions helps them get Okung.

I don't see how he gets by the Bucs, Skins and KC - all of whom have great reason to take the best LT prospect in the draft.

Posted by: p1funk | March 1, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Oh boy, here we go:

Report: Redskins want Peppers
Posted by Mike Florio on March 1, 2010 11:17 AM ET
The sentiment that defensive end Julius Peppers will be paid more like Dwight Freeney, Jared Allen, and DeMarcus Ware and less like Albert Haynesworth omits the possibility that the same team that gave Haynesworth $40 million guaranteed might decide to take full advantage of the rules of the uncapped year by chasing Peppers, too.

Jason Reid of the Washington Post reports that the Redskins "are expected to pursue" Peppers, which means that he'll likely be signed by daybreak on Friday.

Similar rumors -- though much more rampant -- emerged last year regarding Haynesworth and the Redskins. At one point, our pal Lance Zierlein of KGOW in Houston reported that it would definitely occur. And occur it did; a $100 million deal was negotiated between midnight and 5:30 a.m. on the first morning of free agency.

If/when the Redskins land Peppers and switch to a 3-4 defense, the eight-year veteran would move to outside linebacker for the first time in his career. As Reid points out, the key player in all of this will be the aforementioned Haynesworth, who might be expected to man the line-clogging nose tackle position -- and thus yield the glory to Peppers.

So on the ten-year anniversary of the greatest collection of highly-paid individual players who couldn't function as a team, it's fitting that the man who wrote the checks for the 2000 Redskins could be getting ready to do it all over again.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 1, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 1, 2010 11:26 AM

Where did Reid "report" this? This is a rumor started by Pepper's agent or by BeantownGreg.

Posted by: League-Source | March 1, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | March 1, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

That's not an entirely fair assessment. It's true that he let himself get out of shape during the holdout, but the reason he was holding out was because the Bungles were low-balling him in negotiations.

Had they given him a fair contract up front and gotten him into camp immediately, I think you would have seen a different scenario play out.

Posted by: p1funk | March 1, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | March 1, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

_________________________________

I didn't realize his injuries were all that... I see, bulging disk in his neck... yeah, he's damaged goods.

Posted by: tony325 | March 1, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | March 1, 2010 11:26 AM

This makes no sense at all.

You're saying we give up #4 without taking their pick, so they would have #4 and another top 10 pick?

Why would a team drafting in the top 10 give up 4 top 3 round picks for the #4 pick in the draft?

Would you?

This is a crazy idea even if we didn't get their #10. If we got that pick too, its certifiable.

People are going bananas with their ideas of what we should get for #4.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 1, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Any takers?

Posted by: p1funk | March 1, 2010 11:21 AM |

This is the last sentence from Scouts Inc

Overall, he has the physical tools to succeeds, but his work ethic, technique and lack of discipline are preventing him from reaching his true potential.
_____________________

That pretty much what I think about his play over the last few years I've seen the Rams play.

Carlos Rogers for Alex Barron and a 4th.

Posted by: TWISI | March 1, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

brown, thats just funny, I can't see AH moving to the nose, and I can't see peppers coming here......just not seeing it.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 1, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Well, yes the Redskins could take McCoy or Suh if they fall and completely revamp their defense.

Or they could spend SOME resources on an offense that finished the year in disarray and lack both line talent AND breakaway threats at the skill positions.

This offseason is starting out in a direction (ie targeting defensive changes) that seem strange to me.

Posted by: leopard09 | March 1, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

HEre are the picks for the 1st 2 rounds:

#4 - Antohny Davis (Bradford and Okung already will be gone)

#37 - LeFevuor

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 1, 2010 10:23 AM |

No way Davis goes at #4. He did not have a good Combine to stifle the talk that he is just a glorified guard.

Posted by: PsyOps | March 1, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 1, 2010 11:02 AM |

Posted by: PsyOps | March 1, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

We'll see. BUT... STL is on a multiple year run of getting a top 5 pick. At some point, they need to pull the trigger and a) grab a "franchise" QB or b) make a splashy signing to bring in a QB who the team can hang their hat on to help them win some games.

Easiest route is to draft one. If they grab Suh/McCoy, they are ceding ANOTHER year of suckitude. At number 1, not many positions are worthy of the pick. You cant take Berry at 1 for example, no matter how good the guy may be. They need skill players starting with a QB. Going QB/RB in 1/2 would give the base hope and allow the team to grow together. Think "triplets" in Dallas... they went 1-15, then ripped of 3 SB wins.

Suh is safe, but is it the right long term move to truly build a winner?? And will picking Suh pay for itself by selling tickets? I just don't think so. If they take Bradford, they can at least make a viable argument to bring in some veteran playmakers... without him, good luck. They are almost FORCED to take Bradford for football and business reasons.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 1, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 1, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Nor should AH move to the nose.

As a 3-4 DE, AH could wreak some serious havoc, sort of like Dockett in AZ.

Hey 4th, I think you've heard of that Darnell Dockett guy, right?

What's your take?

Posted by: p1funk | March 1, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

How's that for ignoring the combine? Good performance for a #6 pick?

Posted by: League-Source | March 1, 2010 11:21 AM

The issues you mentioned concerning Smith were well documented prior to the combine, especially when he missed Bama's bowl game in 09. His combine performance did not foreshadow a poor rookie year. The main reason he held out is because the Bengals did not want to pay him more than the 7th pick. I dont believe his work ethic or attitude had anything to do with him breaking his foot. Sometimes bad luck is bad luck. Its still to early to see which way his career is going to go, but I would rather have that monster on the right side of our line than Heyer, Jones, or BMW

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 1, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Would you?

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 1, 2010 11:32 AM

Depends on how badly I wanted the guy who was at #4.

Next year's picks translate to a round later in this year's draft -- rounds 1 and 3 next year are equivalent to rounds 2 and 4 this year. I haven't looked it up, but this is about what the Redskins paid to get an extra first when they picked Jason Campbell. Of course, Joe Gibbs isn't running anyone's draft this year.

Posted by: League-Source | March 1, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | March 1, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Actually, that scenario only works if we trade up for Bradford so it's kind of a moot point. Obviously, if we traded up for Bradford then we weren't going for Okung anyway.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 1, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | March 1, 2010 11:30 AM

The link he ran was the one about Haynesworth being the key to the 3-4 (2 or 3 threads ago). I didn't see the post as saying Peppers was gonna be here, so I'm not sure where Florio is getting that from.

Agreed Greg. I hope there's no truth to this, but with Snyder's money and Peppers' desire to play in a 3-4, there could be fire with this smoke. I could see it happening, but I don't see it working the way they think.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 1, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 1, 2010 11:37 AM

He was projected as a top five pick BEFORE the combine:

"Andre Smith's combine performance may end up costing him millions. He was considered a Top 5 pick in the 2009 NFL, but Andre Smith's draft stock continues to plummet after a series of incidents that have left team officials scratching their heads."

"Smith reported to the combine overweight and then left camp without informing league officials. Smith later returned and apologized, but things haven't gotten any better for the Alabama star. His interviews with several NFL teams have not gone well."

"Sources later said Smith's interviews with teams have been going horribly. He's been inappropriately dressed and has been giving a number of conflicting statements as to why he was choosing not to workout at the combine. Several offensive line coaches have already suggested Smith be removed from their team's draft board and there's no doubt his draft stock is falling."

Source: sportsillustrated.cnn.com

Andre Smith vs. BMW/Heyer was never a choice for the Redskins or the Bengals. The choice was Andre Smith or, say, Brian Orakpo.

Smith should have been taken in about the third round, just as funk said.

Posted by: League-Source | March 1, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | March 1, 2010 11:38 AM

And I doubt any of those guys are going to be there at #4. Maybe Suh and Bradford are those two guys, but thats it.

# of picks are more important to teams (especially bad teams) than position. No team, certainly not one drafting in the top 10, wants to lose 3 picks in any swap.

That's why we kept trading down in 2008. Thats why the Patriots (one of the best FOs in football) kept trading down last year and got EIGHT 2nd and 3rd rounders.

The best trade down we can hope for (if there are no players involved) are #14 and #40 from Seattle or #13 and #47 from SF.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 1, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I think those who are saying things like "Snyder's money" may be missing the point that Danny is not really running the show anymore. He will sign whatever check BA tells him to sign, but I don't think Shanny is going to say "Hey BA, we really need to spend some money to go get Peppers".

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 1, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I just read where Gerald McCoy benched only 23 reps at the combine. His stock just took a slight hit. I keep forgeting about that Jeff Owens guy out of Georgia. Anyone seen him play?

Posted by: TWISI | March 1, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

McCoy free fall? AND YES THE BENCH IS IMPORTANT WHEN IT COMES TO A DT/3-4 end.
1-Bradford
2-Okung
3-Suh
4-Berry

Mayock "stunned" McCoy managed just 23 reps

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 1, 2010 11:20 AM ET

NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock has been one of the biggest supporters of Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, ranking him ahead of Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh as the best player in the 2010 NFL draft.

But Mayock said he thinks McCoy's performance in the bench press at the scouting combine (23 repetitions of 225 pounds) is a red flag.

"When you start comparing numbers, which is what this combine is all about, in the weight room yesterday Suh did 32 and McCoy did 23," Mayock said Monday on NFL Network. "I was stunned that McCoy only did 23 reps. That tells me he hasn't been in the weight room the way he should have been over the last three years."

McCoy was tied for 35th among 50 defensive linemen who benched at this year's combine. Suh ranked sixth. The top defensive lineman, Jeff Owens of Georgia, got 44 reps of 225 pounds. The worst showing went to Antonio Coleman of Auburn, who managed 18 reps.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 1, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 1, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

No kidding.

Schmucks like Florio would like to forget that buffoons like Cerratto arn't running the show any more.

The Florio-types (blow-hard rumor-mongers) have a symbiotic relationship with Cerratto-types (blow-hard incompetents), because they provide fodder for their information-less reporting.

Florio is going to continue to milk it as long as he can, but after an offseason like this one where the Skins are likely to make smart, measured, boring moves, Florio is going to have to go back to the drawing board.

Posted by: p1funk | March 1, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Where does Peppers fit here? I thought he was a right end?

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 1, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 1, 2010 11:44 AM

Isn't this contradictory? First you say no team wants to give up picks and then you say that the Patriots got eight 2nd and 3rd rounders. So, you're admitting it can be done?

Shoot, I remember when Charley Casserly traded pick #6 to the New Orleans Saints for their entire draft plus a few picks from next year's draft.

Anything is possible on draft day and you're more likely to garner multiple picks if you're willing to take them from the following year's draft.

Posted by: League-Source | March 1, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Revamping the defense? Being more aggressive? Getting more takeaways?

It's like deja vu. Why aren't we talking about O-Line free agents?

Posted by: Salinas1 | March 1, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Peppers @ 18 Mil/yr

OR

Karlos Dansby ILB 8 mil
Justin Bannon NT 4 mil
Chester Pitts RG 5 mil
Diesel44 GM 1 mil
Total 18 mil

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 1, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse
I'll take door #2, even with $1mil going to a guy batting 1-10 (.1000).

Posted by: frediefritz | March 1, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Yes, the Patriots got one or two extra pick at a time from DIFFERENT teams, but if they got two extra picks, they were always lower rounds (4-7).

I can't see under any circumstance any ONE team giving up 3 picks in the top 3 rounds to get our #4.

And the Ditka trade is still a joke to this day.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 1, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Wouldn't Peppers be taking Orakpo's position? Maybe it's just a smokescreen to get Philly to pay more.

Also wouldn't Alexander make more sense as a 3-4 end than lb? Or is he too short?

Posted by: skinswest | March 1, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I hope they keep reviewing the films and see that we don't have ENOUGH GOOD LINEBACKERS for a 3-4....

Posted by: charley42 | March 1, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Put it this way: If we had the #10 pick and we gave up picks #42 and #74, AND our 1st and 3rd in 2011, just to get the #4 pick, I would certainly feel like we got fleeced. Nobody at #4 is worth that much to me... if he was, he would have been picked #1-3.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 1, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

The worst showing went to Antonio Coleman of Auburn, who managed 18 reps.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 1, 2010 11:50 AM |

Jesus. The poor bastard won't be able to live down a skirt-wearing QB, Darryl Clark of PSU, out-repping him 21-18.

Posted by: PsyOps | March 1, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Where does Peppers fit here? I thought he was a right end?

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 1, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

He wants to be a stand up rusher in a 3-4 he said it last year and apparently still does.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 1, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Hell, the kicker from USC beat most of the LBs last year.

Posted by: skinswest | March 1, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I think he'll be an upgrade for the original version.

HEre are the picks for the 1st 2 rounds:

#4 - Antohny Davis (Bradford and Okung already will be gone)

#37 - LeFevuor

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 1, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse
If Bradford and Okung are gone, we have a reasonably good chance of trading #4 to a team wanting either Suh or McCoy. If we can't, I think we need to take whichever one is left at #4, or we take either Berry or Haden cb from FL. I think Anthony is a bit of a stretch at #4. And LeFevour is a stretch at #37. He's rated a 3rd round pick. I'd rather wait to see if he falls to us with our 4th rd pick, or trade up from 4th rd pick to get him in the 3rd rd if we are really sold on him. Jarrett Brown, Jonathan Compton and Jevan Snead should also be available with our 4th rd pick.

Posted by: frediefritz | March 1, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

It's like deja vu. Why aren't we talking about O-Line free agents?

Posted by: Salinas1 | March 1, 2010 11:56 AM

Because there arent that many worth spending money on. I dont care what anyone says, Chester Pitts and his bad knees arent the going to help the skins.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 1, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

"Guys just have to be willing to go out there and do it. That's the main thing."

I like this guy.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 1, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Peppers @ 18 Mil/yr

OR

Karlos Dansby ILB 8 mil
Justin Bannon NT 4 mil
Chester Pitts RG 5 mil

Ummmm, no cap, can't it be all of the above? Not saying it will be and not saying I buy that we have any interest in Peppers, cause I don't think he's a good fit for us at all since we already have Orakpo, but just saying, why does signing anybody preclude us from signing anybody else?

Personally, I'm hoping for:

Pitts
Rolle
Dansby
Sproles
trade CR22 for Barron (yes straight up is fine for a corner that can't catch or cover a double move)
Re-sign Levi & Heyer
Draft Clausen/Bradford at #4 (if its Clausen trade JC for a ham sandwich of a draft pick, if its Bradford keep JC and let Sam sit for a year)
draft Tackle round 2
round 4 corner
round 5 center
round 7 WR to replace ARE

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 1, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

And the Ditka trade is still a joke to this day.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 1, 2010 11:58 AM |

Dude - when it comes to surrendering multiple picks for very little value in return it is more like the Herschel Walker trade being the joke isn't it? At least Dit got a stud RB. His prob was that he didn't have the other O tools you need to take advantage. Walk was nearing Port/Tom/West territory when he hit Min.

Posted by: PsyOps | March 1, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 1, 2010 12:01 PM

You know, let me try this one more time that I'm gonna be mute on this -- at least with you. There is an NFL draft chart. It says the #4 pick is 1800 points. It says that the picks I've proposed for the team drafting 10th are worth 1262 points. For the team drafting #5, they're worth 1405 points. For the team drafting #1, it would be 1537 points.

Now the chart is an approximation that's widely criticized, but no one has come up with anything better. So, the trade I proposed is actually in the other team's favor -- if you believe in the chart.

In the end, though, it really depends on who's sitting there at #4, whether multiple teams want him, and what other teams are willing to give up.

Posted by: League-Source | March 1, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

and on cue, ESPN insider says that the Seahawks and us are in the lead for getting Sproles.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 1, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I think I'll go with Peppers at stand up rusher over Alexander. Do it Snyder!!!!

Posted by: coparker5 | March 1, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

If they're going to spend $$ on defensive free agents, I'd like to see them sign Rolle rather than Peppers.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | March 1, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 1, 2010 12:17 PM

New FO, same mentality. I feel like I should excited by the prospect of these two joining the skins, but this reeks of Cerrato.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 1, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 1, 2010 12:17 PM

Isn't it the time of the year where the Skins will be in da hunt for all the big time FA. Keep an eye out for Sarah Walsh's blog this week. She had Haynesworth to DC about this time last year

Posted by: TWISI | March 1, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Redskins will bid on Sproles too
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 1, 2010 12:18 PM ET
It might be faster to just write a post on the big-name free agents the Redskins aren't going after.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Redskins will be "among those" in the bidding for Sproles. Washington also reportedly wants Julius Peppers.

A player being tied to the Redskins will help an agent drive a player's price up, so some skepticism is warranted when their interest is floated. Then again, Washington really does go after most top names.

Washington needs some explosive talent on offense in any form, and Mike Shanahan watched Sproles up close in the AFC West for years.

If Sproles did arrive, we wonder how Clinton Portis would embrace the move. As long as Portis problem heeds the message of Lavar Arrington's epic rant, it shouldn't be a problem.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 1, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Does Phillip Daniels get a contract offer from any other NFC East team?

Posted by: coparker5 | March 1, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | March 1, 2010 12:16 PM

#1. No, I don't believe in the chart. Its garbage. # of picks are more important than high picks. According to the chart, the #1 pick in the draft is equal to the top 13 picks of the 3rd round. Ask the Chargers and Raiders which they would rather have.

#2. Even if you abide by the chart, according to your scenario where you think we should get #2 and #3 of the other team's picks this year plus #1 and #3 next year, that certainly is not in the other teams favor.

Say for arguments sake the other team is drafting 10th. That means we get picks #42 and #74 this year and (lets say they even improve) so we get #13 and #77 next year.

According to the chart I'm looking at, thats 480 + 220 + 1150 + 205 = 2055 to our 1800 for #4.

So it's in our favor, but I think its even more in our favor because I believe the chart is flawed and I'd certainly rather have 4 picks than one.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 1, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Didn't the Skins used to have some U Tube dud who could jump out of a swimming pool or into a pickup? They cut him pretty pretty pretty quick bec the prob is that stunts like that don't trans into any FB skills whereas the Combine drills do. Screw up in the drills and your draft hopes sink like a rock. Prospects prepare for the combine the way an honors student would prepare for a quantum physics test.

Posted by: PsyOps | March 1, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 1, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | March 1, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse
We're not trading up to #2 or #3 to try to get Bradford. If we think he is that special, we'll trade with Rams for #1 pick. We won't trade for #2or 3, because if he gets past #1, he'll probably slide to #4. If someone else wants to vault over us to get him, let them. We have other options.

Posted by: frediefritz | March 1, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

zjfr2,
Although it looks like there will be no salary cap this year, eventually the NFLPA and the owners will sign a contract that will reinstate the salary cap. What's unknown is how the actions of the teams this year will be assimilated into a new salary cap. What I am saying is I don't think teams can go totally crazy with signing players because that may restrict them from signing players later. Plus, I sense Snyder is trying to tighten the spending up a little. He's spent a lot of money over the years with little to show for it. I suspect he's a little concerned about that.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 1, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 1, 2010 12:35 PM |

I suppose to some extent you could get around that by front-loading a contract to have a lot of the $$$ in the uncapped yrs.

Posted by: PsyOps | March 1, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

bruce allen was just on NFLN and billick asked him that very question,"how do you make a contract for players when you dont know what the rules will be down the road", and allen just said they'll sign people for what they think they'll be worth to the skins

Posted by: hcic55 | March 1, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

So how exactly does a qb performing a standing jump translate into anything he will do during the course of a game? Most of the drills are a joke. Game tape and interviews are the best way to determine how good players are going to be at the next level.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 1, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | March 1, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

No one's gonna give up that much if they're already in the top 10.

And why do some folks have an issue with signing Sproles? If its not for a ridiculous amount of money I say do it. With only a limited amount of picks this yr, you solve the problem of a speedy RB and return man without having to waste a draft pick.

Posted by: ga8085 | March 1, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

sure to Sproles, because he solves multiple needs. But I suspect Sproles wants a #1 RB gig, and this isn't the place for it. In 3 games vs our NFC East opponents last year, he had just 10 carries for 37 yards and 10 catches for 56 yards.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 1, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Would you?

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 1, 2010 11:32 AM

Depends on how badly I wanted the guy who was at #4.

Posted by: League-Source | March 1, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse
I looked it up, and it is fairly equivalent, depending on where the picks fall. I was intrigued by it, LS, and think it would be worth doing. We'd have 3 picks in the top 75, #37, #33-42, and #65-74 this year, plus 2 firsts and 2 third picks next year. That is how we need to rebuild. Just have to find a trading partner.

Posted by: frediefritz | March 1, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Redskins about to go CRAZY with signings
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 1, 2010 12:58 PM ET
Be Afraid, be VERY AFRAID, the Washington Redskins are prepared to apparently sign EVERY available free agent that is available. Insiders at Ashburn, VA, have confirmed to us that they've offered a contract to the Patriots Vince Wilfork, and are planning on signing Julius Peppers, Darren Sproles, Karlos Dansby, Antonio Pierce, among others. The Redskins are currently preparing to have over 200 million in payroll for the 2010 season.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 1, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

No one's gonna give up that much if they're already in the top 10.

Posted by: ga8085 | March 1, 2010 12:44 PM

You don't think someone would like to be able to grab Bradford AND Okung? Berry AND McCoy? "Gee, we're already in the top ten. Why should we be greedy and come away with all that talent? We're not worthy."

Posted by: League-Source | March 1, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

For once... I think we have no idea what the Skins are going to do come Friday 3/5 at 12 am... All, I know is I will be up til about 2 am to find out if there are any early signings like with the Haynesworth/Hall signings last year.

Like I said before, except for the Pierce debacle... We should go for ILB/OLB who can cover... A FS to get LL in his correct position... Sproles, if the price is right... We need to fill the holes that are out there in FA, so when the draft comes we can focus on the offense & mostly draft O-line.

In the draft, if there is anyway to get extra picks & move back from #4, we should do it. We should come away with no less than 2 O-line, a QB, & RB in the draft. We currently have #1, #2, #4, #5, #7... It would be nice if we could move down & get an extra #2 or #3 or both which can equate to more O-Line.

I know some are saying same ol same ol... but if you are going to bring in all these high profile guys, you have to have a high profile coach to handle the multiple A type personalities & that's what Zorn couldn't do. He didn't have any power within the organization because Snyderatto had it all... He couldn't even sit Haynesworth do to insubordination because they weren't having it. It'd be like Eddie Jordan coaching the Lakers. (Eddie had fights to sit Gilbert, but Ernie wouldn't let him)... You gotta have a guy that EVERYBODY KNOWS WHO IS IN CHARGE!! That's why we should of never fired Marty... So, doesn't worry me if the Skins go after a guy like Peppers... but I just don't understand the logic EXCEPT as I recall, Peppers was damn good in zone coverage & I remember a few interceptions for TD's. I still think Orakpo can fill this in a 3-4 defense, so why spend all that money, when you can fill other needs?

Posted by: tony325 | March 1, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: League-Source | March 1, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Pitts and Sproles are on the downside of their careers. I wouldn't want either of them here. The only thing that will accomplish is mask the need of a young running back and guard. We will again pass on those positions in the draft and allocate those resources elsewhere. Then in a year or two when those guys go on IR we'll be SOL again. I'm tired of playing that game. No free agent running backs!! No free agents over 30!!! Draft the next Darren Sproles and draft the next Chester Pitts.

Dansby and Rolle would be nice. They are both under 30 and have some years left.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 1, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | March 1, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I think the only player who might garner that kind of attention if he fell to us is Sue. And I don't think he'll fall that far. Plus, its been a long time (Ditka and Ricky Williams comes to mind) since a team was willing to give up the farm to get a cow.

Posted by: ga8085 | March 1, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

And the Ditka trade is still a joke to this day.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 1, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Per NFL Draft Value chart:

#4 pick = 1800 pts.

2nd rd # 8 pick = 500 pt
3rd rd #8 pick = 230 pt
2011 1st rd #8 = 500 pt
2011 2nd rd #8 = 230 pt
total 1460 pt
so we could throw in another $1 mil to Diesel44 as GM to make the deal fair.

Posted by: frediefritz | March 1, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 1, 2010 12:12 PM

Pitts started 114 games in a row from 2002 until the 2nd week of the 2009 season. He's been out since week 2 and will be 100% by training camp. He's the best of an extremely weak UFA OG free agent pool.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 1, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Lots 'o draft picks don't mean a thing if you don't convert them to players.

Once upon a time the Skins had in their possession their entire draft (minus the #5 pick) and the Saints entire draft. They converted all those picks into Champ Bailey and Jon Jansen. Not a whole lot.

The Skins also had 2nd and 3rd overall picks and converted that to Arrington and Samuels. Good but not great.

Posted by: coparker5 | March 1, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Crazy money saps some players of their will to perform (not all players, but some)

Go ahead, somebody post a list...

1) Receiver, The
2)...

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 1, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

paskinsfan: "I see Okung falling to us at #4. I see the Lions taking McCoy and the Bucs taking Suh. They could take Okung but I doubt it. Jim Scwartz has said that he thinks Backus should have made the pro bowl last year. They also owe Backus a ton of money and he said he will not switch inside to guard. There are also people in that organization that feel much of the offensive line struggles are due to the interior line and not the tackles. They also felt that there were a lot of blown blocking assignments by the RB, FB, and TEs. "

Feb 25: "[Lions] Coach Jim Schwartz left the door open to LT Jeff Backus moving inside to left guard, a position of need for the Lions.Gosder Cherilus, on the other hand, is too "tall and rangy" to move inside. Schwartz believes Backus had a Pro Bowl-caliber season in 2009, but he'd consider a move inside if the team opts to go with a dominant tackle such as Russell Okung with the No. 2 pick"

Posted by: Samson151 | March 1, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

"The Patriots have loaded up on draft picks the last couple of years but have very little to show for it - thus the decline of the Patriots. Posted by: coparker5"

The Pats have been clear that they stockpile draft picks because their experience is that only about 50% work out. They are suffering in part from their extended winning seasons and the succession of middling to low picks that it brings. That's partly why they traded Richard Seymour and have been active in the FA market. The value of draft picks has been rising in the wake of anxiety over the future of the CBA, and that's another motivation for accumulating picks, particularly rounds 1-4.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 1, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

"Dan LeFevour = Cutler 2.0?"

LeFevour's a mobile QB, not a big arm guy, right? Different style entirely.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 1, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm not anti-draft, I just don't believe the draft is the cure-all for everything. The Pats have run the same scheme for a while now. They've loaded up on draft picks. They should know what "type" of players fit their scheme, yet, lately they don't seem to be getting a lot production from their draftees. Maybe the players they wanted didn't fall to where the Pats were selecting. Maybe they just failed to accurately evaluate the guys' ability.

Posted by: coparker5 | March 1, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Snyder has assembled such a poor team over the years that a mediocre 37 year old has become indespensible. Haynesworth should be the leader. Unfortunately Snyder overpaid a fat lazy bum. Not even Shanny can fix Snyder's ineptitude

Posted by: jercha | March 1, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Interesting opinion on the redskins switch to 3-4. check it out.

Posted by: b145579 | March 1, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Don't too hard on Haynesworth. All he wants to do is be free to disrupt. Blache wouldn't let him do it. Hopefully, Haslett will. Then we'll see the bad-a$$, face-stompin' Tennesse Titan Albert Haynesworth again.

Posted by: coparker5 | March 1, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

LeFevour is nothing like Cutler.

LeFevour is more mobile, has MAYBE half of Cutler's arm strength and reportedly has a far, FAR better attitude toward teammates, coaches, etc.

Posted by: DC2Dallas | March 1, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

The new coaching staff says they have been over the film. It's hard to believe they still want Daniels back. They must have no one else. Daniels just disappears for games, then has 1 good game. But hopefully it is because their priority is o-line.

Chris Samuels in the HOF. No chance. Like others in this column, if Joe Jacoby isn't good enough, there is no way Samuels has a chance. Jacoby was way better than Samuels.

Posted by: sruppert | March 2, 2010 7:18 AM | Report abuse