Westbrook's replacement is the real McCoy

With All-Pro running back Brian Westbrook sidelined because of lingering problems from two concussions in a span of four weeks, the Philadelphia Eagles are relying on rookie running back LeSean McCoy.

McCoy has rushed for 452 yards (with a 4.3-yard average) and three touchdowns and caught 23 passes for 181 yards. He has been a key contributor for the Eagles (6-4), who are tied for second in the NFC East and play host to the last-pace Redskins (3-7) on Sunday at Lincoln Financial Field.

"I couldn't have predicted what happened" with Westbrook," Philadelphia Coach Andy Reid said. "I'm glad Brian is here to help this kid with the maturation process. Brian's been like a big brother to him. It's hard to put a price on that.

"LeSean wants to be a good player. He's worked very hard at it. He has an opportunity now and we'll see how he does with it. He's sure giving it a good effort and trying to be the best he can."

As for Westbrook's status, "he's actually doing pretty good," Reid said. "I think he felt good about the report from the doctor. We've got to go back here in a week or two and get another checkup, so we'll just see how he does during the next few weeks."

By Jason Reid  |  November 25, 2009; 4:46 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Players, coaches give Gray high marks
Next: Expect Mike Williams to play; Edwin Williams may start

Comments

First to say Speed Kills and we have none.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 25, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Diesel--We're like the Slowskis, those turtles on the Comcast commercial, "Step right up little lady, grab your hoop skirt and let's roll real slow."

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

You said it, Diesel.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 25, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Sorry all, I know this isn't fubball related but I'm on a new rant (y'all know how I get.) Dell has screwed me and I would like anyone that has had bad customer service and or products from this crappy company to join this facebook page...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 25, 2009 4:09 PM

Sorry, scamp, but I've had multiple Dell computers and multiple dealings with their customer support and it was always satisfactory, or better.

That said, when I bought my current computer I bought a cheap Toshiba at Best Buy and paid for a Best Buy warranty so that I could deal with a person if (when) I have problems. Also, for a change I bought a low-end model so that I can throw it out when the warranty expires and buy the Next New Whizzbang.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

F the eagles!

though speed would be nice...

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 25, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 25, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

He wrote it. C'mon, Nate, you gotta get the basics right.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

Posted by: daggar | November 25, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

gray's got speed and he's using it

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 25, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

A side from Moss, this team hasn't had any crazy speed on O for years... WTF!

Posted by: edvar | November 25, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

3rd string LT, 3rd string RG, 3rd string RB, 2nd string TE, 2nd string DB coach

Was I dreaming or did A train Montgomery play vs. Dallas? WTF is up with him, no injury or health reports. I guess we've been saving him for this playoff run

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 25, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

devin Thomas is fast

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 25, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 25, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 25, 2009 5:23 PM

DT does have speed, He just doesn't know where he is going.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 25, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse