Who's No. 2? Kelly Gains Separation

Coach Jim Zorn did not directly say it. Why make a big deal about the obvious?

After the completion of the preseason, it is clear to anyone with half a clue that Malcolm Kelly is the Washington Redskins' No. 2 receiver. And it's not even close.

"No question, he's going to be totally involved," Zorn said. "Malcolm surely showed his presence, his height, his strong hands, his ability to run a [defensive back] off and come back out of it. He definitely helped himself. We've got some weapons."

Kelly completed his ascension to the starting lineup Thursday night in a 24-17 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars. After starting the game at flanker, Kelly made another nifty catch in traffic on a well-thrown ball near the right sideline from quarterback Jason Campbell for an 11-yard gain. If Kelly's surgically repaired knee holds up and Washington's pass protection remains as surprisingly effective as it was in the preseason, expect to see the Campbell-Kelly combination often, especially in the intermediate passing game.

After the game Thursday night, a few key players on offense told me Campbell's trust in Kelly is rising daily. It began to build early in training camp when Kelly, trying to regain the impressive form he had in college, would stay after practice to work on routes with Campbell while testing his knee after offseason microfracture surgery.

Campbell, players told me, respects the maturity and single-minded focus Kelly brings to work each day. He believes Kelly will be in the right spot on the field at the right time no matter the route he runs, and views the tall, athletic second-year player as the perfect complement to top wideout Santana Moss.

Many plays broke down last season because tight end Chris Cooley was Campbell's only "safety valve" in the short- to medium-passing game. With the sure-handed Kelly (and intriguing rookie wideout Marko Mitchell) emerging, that should not be the case this season, players told me. I agree.

I understand Zorn's reluctance late Thursday night to announce that Kelly, barring unforeseen circumstances, of course, will be starting opposite Moss on Sept. 13 in the season opener against the New York Giants. Kelly supposedly still is competing with veteran Antwaan Randle El and second-year wideout Devin Thomas, who was selected ahead of Kelly in the 2008 draft, to start at flanker.

But to many in the organization, the competition was in name only after Kelly sped away from Randle El and Thomas the last few weeks. While Thomas did a disappearing act mentally for a couple of weeks in the preseason, Kelly made his move on the field. Randle El is a proud veteran, but he doesn't possess Kelly's height and athleticism, which could really change how the Redskins' offense rolls. And Randle El, who could be much more effective as a slot receiver, only cares about winning, so he'll be fine. Thomas, who showed signs of life the last two preseason games, will continue to receive chances to step forward. The Redskins want him to succeed.

But it's all about Kelly right now. He has earned it.

On Tap Today

It's 8:18 a.m. and I'm in the Jacksonville airport waiting for a plane to Dulles.

The media's weekly rap session with Zorn begins around 12:30 p.m. We'll have a lot more, obviously, later today.

And now, time for a little nap. Later.

By Jason Reid  |  September 4, 2009; 8:19 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Picking No. 3 QB Tough for Some
Next: Cerrato: 25 on Offense

Comments

Few
Injured
Reserve
Signings
Today

around the league and that's a good thing.

Always thought Kelly possessed more upside especially after the rave reviews in last year's camp. As Gibbs used to say, you can fool the fans, you can fool the coaches, but you can't fool the players

Posted by: hailbg | September 4, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

To me it really doesn't matter who the #2 WR. They both have their strengths and if utilized correctly I think the WR corps (incl. Mitchell) has the potential to be dynamic.

BTW I think Mason made the team because they didn't feature him much at all last night. Conversely, I was mildly surprised that Cartwright was featured at RB. IMO the coaches are considering letting him go. Also my long shot to make the team is Holmes. Dude played Safety, CB, LB (nickle), and was on special teams. He handled most of those duties well.

Posted by: TWISI | September 4, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

I say give it to Mitchell. He had a great camp and a great preseason. Sounds to me like he's outplayed the 2nd round clowns, so give him the gig!

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 4, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Isn't it nice to actually debate who's the better #2 WR? A good problem to have.

Posted by: Section104 | September 4, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Sportcenter:
Jaws thinks we'll get 9 wins.
Chucky thinks we'll be at 8.
Mike torrico thinks we'll get less than 7.

Posted by: Dorf | September 3, 2009 1:53 PM |
==========================================
Mike torrico thinks we'll get less than 7.

Posted by: Dorf | September 3, 2009 1:53 PM

Mike Torrico is a Homo.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 3, 2009 2:28 PM |
==========================================

It is sad, really, how a once proud media property (MNF) has sunk to the depths of pairing a fudgepacker with Frick and Frack.

Posted by: EncinoMan | September 4, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

For the Skins, a perfect pass from Jason to Randle El is an incompletion. For New England the same pass would have been completed.

And you have to love a Jacksonville fumble that actually goes upfield for 3-4 yards and recovered by Jacksonville.

Glad it was preseason.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | September 4, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

I think Holmes may have made the team last night. Doughty was all over the place too. We are solid at safety, that is for sure.

Disappointing performance by Alridge.

Posted by: brian58 | September 4, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Lendy Holmes should make the team and marko is darnarian mccants II, should get a lot of opportunity in the red zone

Posted by: drewkinnear | September 4, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Nice article. Agree. Assessment of last night's play with my guesses on who stays and who goes.

I am nothing if not consistant.

This post is for peaceful2008 with an amendment by way of the CORK:

Gotta' believe DANIELS goes to the practice squad unless COLT can't go due to injury.

ALRIDGE and MASON get cut. CARTWRIGHT had to play for a job and succeeded. DORSEY no.

MARKO MITCHELL is DA" MAN!!!! ELOI, no despite his pretty catch near the end of the game. HACKETT, no. looked like a man who knows the truth.

AGNONE gets cut. YODER makes it, barely. DAVIS on the 53 man. God, I hope COOLEY doesn't get hurt.

MONTGOMERY played well despite THEISMANN's one sour note. BATISTE did O.K. as did RINEHART, but neither E. WILLIAMS or M. WILLIAMS looked good. BRIDGES a-a-a-n-n-n-h, better but not great. Everybody but MONTGOMERY looked outclassed by JAGS 1st team d.

Practice squad for GLENN. YOUNG gets cut unless he can be parked in the taxi zone. THOMAS makes the team. HENSON makes the squad as well.

ROB JACKSON played himself a game and might nose out RENALDO WYNN. I would keep him. BUZBEE gets cut. JARMON makes the 53 squad. CHRIS WILSON went from the bubble to a gamer. DIXON goes to the practice squad.

Nobody in the defensive secondary was consistantly good except REED DOUGHERTY. TRYON played like a rookie with potential, something we didn't see at all last year. 2008 he was just a rookie. BARNES makes the team because he's a third round choice. HOLMES up and down as well. Taxi-squad. Probably doesn't nose out K. MOORE.

RAYNOR almost shanked BOTH X-points. He has the stronger leg on kick-offs but I question his accuracy on field goals. SUISHAM continues to provide weak kick-offs and of course last year's accuracy brought on this competition in the first place. Nothing was answered in my mind. Frankly. I want the JACKSONVILLE kicker. I thought him far superior to either of our contestants.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 4, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Brian- The fumble was really bad but one play shouldn't define his preseason. Other than that fumble, Alridge played really well. But he'll be on the practice squad since all signs are pointing to Marcus Mason making the team.

Posted by: rachel216 | September 4, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Skins can have a winning season. We got to play super tough defense and generate turnovers and give the offence the short field. On O, we need to be less predictable and try some new things. Running on second down after and incomplete pass on 1st down is not fooling anyone Jim. Mix it up and stretch the field. And pray we pick up some O line depth after teams make cuts. We will need it.

Posted by: FedorEm | September 4, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

All right, everyone knows I've been pimpion the RI wiki a lot lately. It was getting no love so here's another one. I saw a lot of people putting predictions up here. There has been a wiki page for a while that has 2009 predictions, so if you have one, step up to the plate and list it:

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 4, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | September 4, 2009 9:06 AM

That's not really true. It isn't 1 fumble, he's had 3, and a lot in practice. That is a disturbing pattern.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 4, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section104 | September 4, 2009 8:47 AM

Yeah, especially when James Thrash is not one of the names that you're considering.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

It can be corrected. Portis used to fumble a lot early in his career also.

Posted by: rachel216 | September 4, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 4, 2009 9:07 AM

Good thing about putting your predictions on the wiki is that you can change them every 15 minutes. Or, I can change them for you. Not that I would, of course. But I can.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

glawrence007,
I agree on Colt making it. I also think Jackson played better than Wynn, and he has more upside and youth down the stretch as a keeper.
The key mistake, I hope, is at RB. I think Cartright stays but either Mason or Alridge also will make it. The question is who? Alridge has more explosiveness but Mason is more skilled as a RB. I don't foresee too many surprises overall. Funny, when I say Wilson at LB I imagined real good defensive schemes this season with both him and Orakpo in a 3-4 defense. That would equal mounds of pressure off the edge--nice, real nice.

Posted by: pgugino | September 4, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 4, 2009 9:08 AM

Yeah but did you see him turn a 10 yard play to a 30 yard play because of his speed. I'm wondering if with a little concentrated effort on the coaching staff to address the fumble issues, if he could be of some value on 5-10 plays a game this year.

Posted by: TWISI | September 4, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

it will be nice to have an option in the redzone other than a gimmick or cooley

Posted by: drewkinnear | September 4, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I am with TWSI,
There are 5 WR's now who each has a strong suit.

Moss is a great burner deep threat and over the middle in traffic guy.

El, is going to be good as a slot guy also going over the middle, he has that YAC speed and never forget his arm.

Kelly is the possession guy we have been waiting for, his footwork on sideline catches is great too.

Thomas least amount of skill as a WR but most amount of skill when he has the ball. Screens for 5-10, reverses and any of those sleeper routs where he just gets space around him will be killers

Mitchel- must think there is chocolate in that end zone, why else would he hang out there so much.

We need to just put them in the right packages. I would love to see a Red Zone WR package that goes in the order of 12 84 11 89 82.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 4, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

"You want to build up a team with continuity and experience in the syste -- familiarity with the playbook, receivers, coaches, etc. -- instead of adding a new rookie every year."

Do you keep Zorn around for a 3rd year if they miss the playoffs?

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | September 4, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: drewkinnear | September 4, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

The one thing Alridge has going for him is Portis' endorsement.

That fumble was really bad, if Alridge make the team I hope he is not back there returning kicks.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 4, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | September 4, 2009 9:18 AM |

Unfortunately no I didn't see it. They weren't showing the game where I live. While I love his speed and all, the fumble problem IS a major problem. I know the coaches had made a concentrated effort to help him with fumbles after the first 2 and he fumbled again...bad news. Those are the type of things that seem to send coaches off the deep end. Doesn't mean much, though, coming from me.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 4, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

"there is no point to hirng a guy with no OC or HC experience if you only keep him two years so unless they have a top 5 pick in the draft he stays"

I completely agree, just scared of what might happen. This franchise is in desperate need of stability. No growth can come from constant change.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | September 4, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Kelly is definitely the #2 receiver. Let DT and MM fight for #3. ARE is sinking - he just looks like good (though expensive) veteran depth in case the youth movement stalls. Let's get these guys some game time.

Marko is a touchdown machine. Too tall to cover and great hands.

Posted by: edvar | September 4, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Marko will have the redskins rookie recieving TD record

Posted by: drewkinnear | September 4, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I firmly believe we can use the guys we have much like how NE used their WR's pre-Randy Moss. Change them up constantly to force other teams to constantly change coverage schemes. Spread the ball around.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 4, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Marcus Mason deserves to make the team over Aldridge. If you've been watching unbiasedly it's really that simple.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 4, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: drewkinnear | September 4, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I think Zorn got the job by default. If Cowher or Shannahan are still out there, I expect Snyder to try and land either one.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 4, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I kinda thought Rock solidified his position last night. He looked fine on the running game, better than Betts. And we already know his ST skillz.

I like the idea of a scat/change of pace back, but not at the expense of the return game.

T_E - I thought you knew about my moral objection to Fantasy Fubbaw?! I can't have a scout report 'cause I won't play. I wish y'all luck, tho, and I'll begin frequenting the Wiki again to razz folks.

btw, today's listening assignment is the Trick Daddy album www.thug.com AWESMOE!!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 4, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Thought Joey T. might have spilled the beans on the 3rd qb battle last night. I don't remember the exact words, but he quoted Zorn as saying something about enjoying only having to teach Chase the art of being a qb, not mechanics. Sounds like maybe he's tired of trying to teach Colt to not throw sidearm? Personally, don't really care which one makes it, just thought that was interesting and after listening to Zorn for a year now is exactly the way he would phrase something like that. Thoughts?

Posted by: stevek20147 | September 4, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Hope to see Moss, Kelly, Michell, and Cooley all on the field at once...

Posted by: siris | September 4, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Alridge's fumble was bad, and it is disturbing that he fumbled so much in camp. BUT, he has unbelievable speed. You can teach a player to handle the ball properly (Tiki Barber, many others who had fumbling problems who learned proper technique), but you cannot teach athleticism. You know he has something when other players notice it (Portis).

Speaking of players that other players notice, how bout Marko Mitchell. He did something last night that I've wanted to see a skins receiver do forever. Jump up, and shield the ball with his body. I can't wait to watch him develop.

Posted by: brian58 | September 4, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Do you keep Zorn around for a 3rd year if they miss the playoffs?

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | September 4, 2009 9:18 AM

There are lots of reasons for missing the playoffs, and bad coaching is only one. If he does a bad job as coach, he will be gone regardless of whether they make the playoffs. If he does a good job, he will stay, regardless of whether they miss the playoffs. IMO.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

There's all this Kelly blah blah blah. Wait until after some of the A-list FS rattle his bones before getting excited about the dude.

Posted by: EncinoMan | September 4, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

al, agreed on using ALL of the WR's. I'm gonna hate it if they get stubborn, and stick moss/kelly out all the time. If anything has been learned its that JZ needs to utilize ALL the assets he's got at his disposal, not just 2 of them....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

The problem this team may have is you cannot run a formation using 5 WR's and 2 TEs at once.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 4, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brian58 | September 4, 2009 9:34 AM |

The problem becomes is it enough to keep him as a 4th RB with fumblitis? I'm guessing the answer is no.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 4, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 4, 2009 9:32 AM

I have the same aversion. I'm not in the league. But chris larry's posting those fantasy blogga scouting reports for all his favorite posters. He got me Wednesday and will be around for you soon.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332

I agree with that for the most part, but if you're in the red zone, there is no need to have ARE in there. I'd switch him with Cooley, and still spread 'em.

Or maybe take Moss out also, and put in Portis in a singleback formation, still spread em with Kelly, Marko, Cooley, and Thomas. You could throw screens to Thomas, hit Cooley in the seams or short yardage out routes, throw fades or skinny post to Marko and Kelly, or just say f it and give it to Portis and let him up punch it up the gut.

Yeah they have mad options and weapons.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 4, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | September 4, 2009 9:36 AM |

Can you even run a set with 4 WRs and 0 TEs without putting your QB on IR? At least with the Skins OL.

Posted by: EncinoMan | September 4, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 4, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, but this decision (like so many in life) has nothing to do with who DESERVES it more. It has to do with who will help the team more. And that is probably Alridge over Mason due to his breakaway speed

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha | September 4, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brian58
-------------------------------------------
Yep, and in vintage Michael Irvin fashion, he had a nice push-off against the DB to get free on that play too. Great move if you can get away with it.

I just hope this guy doesn't disappear now that preseason is over.

Posted by: McMetal | September 4, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha | September 4, 2009 9:42 AM |

What good is "breakaway speed" if you leave the ball behind?

Posted by: EncinoMan | September 4, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure I'm in that group either, lol.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 4, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I just hope this guy doesn't disappear now that preseason is over.

Posted by: McMetal | September 4, 2009 9:44 AM |

He might. A lot of his derring-do that posters have been drooling over was against scrubbings.

Posted by: EncinoMan | September 4, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 4, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Mason is really Betts 2.0

He is younger, a little faster, and probably a better runner at this point.

The problem for Mason is if the team decides to keep 4 RBs, I don't see them keeping Portis and 3 guys with roughly the same skill set.

For all his trouble fumbling, Alridge brings a different element to the backfield.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 4, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Sorry I should be more cleare I did not mean a "package" I meant that they should make a 2nd depth chart for the redzone where the WR's go in that order.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 4, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

What good is "breakaway speed" if you leave the ball behind?

Posted by: EncinoMan

Indeed! I was thinking the same thing.

A speedy fumbling RB = Sexy lady with a dry "juice box"

You'll have those "Daaaaaaaaaamn" and then those "Awww, Dammit" moments.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 4, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Well, I got to watch the game on Justin.tv via some dude’s web cam pointed at his tv, then he started playing xbox about a minute into the 2nd half, so I had to listen to espn 980….here’s what I think:

Campbell had zero time to get rid of the ball; there was someone rushing him every time he dropped back, but he still went through his progressions quickly and made some very good throws (Randle-el should have caught the td pass). Good for JC, but I hope that the OL is better than that. Not sure if it was the entire starting OL or not though, but again he was not sacked.

I like Kelly as the number 2. Seems like he is really stepping up; great in traffic, and looks to have very sure hands.

Marko looked awesome again. He seems to be able to jump up and outfight DB’s for the ball. Definitely need to continue throwing to him in the red zone, but could also put him in 3-4 WR sets and send him deep every time; didn’t he have some crazy 21 yd per catch avg in college? If he can out wrestle a single DB for the ball they would need to double him deep all the time, so just keep sending him.

Not enough starters played on D, so that’s tough to comment on; Jarmon looks good from the highlights I saw, and maybe Tryon justified a roster spot for himself.

I couldn’t figure out why the Jags had so many starters in for so long last night….especially Garrard??

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 4, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

poor taste, no doubt. I work with a lot of disabilities as part of being a member of my profession. So does my wife, particularly with children.

But we're of a certain age (32). When we were kids, calling someone else "retarded" meant you were calling them the second worst kind of dipsh!t. I had a cousin with severe CP, and I never once thought of any correlation with this insult. Ignorance on my part, I own that.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | September 3, 2009 11:34 PM

RomoNoBalls - If you work with children with disabilities, then you should know that being "retarded" and having CP are two completely different things. CP is a totally physical disease, it has absolutely nothing to do with being learning disabled.

Apparently you're retarted - then again apparently you're a Cowgirls fan so it's to be expected.

Posted by: drfunknsoul | September 4, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I just hope this guy doesn't disappear now that preseason is over.

Posted by: McMetal

I hope it doesn't either.

For the first time in recent memory, I feel the skins really have the weapons to spread the field. And more importantly the players to run the offense the coach wants to run. The last few years, we've had the wrong personnel for the offense because of all the changes. I finally feel like we are turning the corner in this respect.

I do think Alridge stays over Mason. Alridge has the stamp of approval from Cerrato, Portis, Shanahan (encouraged Cerrato to take him off waiver wire). Im not sure Mason brings enough to the table.

Posted by: brian58 | September 4, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Yes I think there is nothing JC could have done to make the pass to El any better, If the ball hits both your hands in stride while threading between 2 DB's?
No way that pass could have been more accurate.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 4, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha | September 4, 2009 9:42 AM |

What good is "breakaway speed" if you leave the ball behind?

Posted by: EncinoMan | September 4, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Once again, and probably 20 more times after this...
You can teach players to secure the football (Tiki Barber is a perfect example). But you can't teach the athleticism Alridge displayed when he changed direction and added about 20 yards to his catch turning the corner

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha | September 4, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

for those able to watch the game, how did Rhinehart look??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I didn't see the game, cause I live in L.A., It's on tomorrow night. But, it seems like

Mitchell makes the team, but he's #5

Kelly's #2, despite being out-produced by Thomas.

Thomas will have some plays designed for him.

they are considering replacing Cartwright. Rock's awesome, but last year Betts got hurt and they still didn't give Rock any carries. Portis got worn down and the team faltered. They also had Betts out on ST and I haven't seen that for a few years.

If they replace Rock it will be Mason.

Chase will be on the practice squad, he'll probably clear waivers. Collins is gonna retire someday..right?

just from looking at the stats Henson will make it.

Wynn didn't separate himself from Jackson who is 40 years younger

Rayner would be a HUGE risk statistically, Suisham makes it

pgugino - in that 3-4 set you got Hayney at NT which would work and Daniels and Golston at ends

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 4, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

My boy Robert Henson played himself off the 53 man roster.....But on the practice sqaud because he has a great motor and tackling technique...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 4, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Cartwright was actually helped out the most by Aldridge's fumble. All that did was highlight the importance of ball security on Special Teams, something Cartwright does very well.

It was interesting to see Mason featured very little, with Cartwright playing extensively with the 2nd and 3rd teamers. My guess is this had more to do with the fact that Cartwright didn't play against New England, while Mason saw a majority of the action. In the end, it looks like one of those two (or both) get the nod.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the Aldridge turning a 10 yard reception into 30. That was the type of play where he likely gets caught when he switches direction by a first team defense. He outran 3rd string linebackers. That looks different if he's trying to outrun the Philly/Dallas/NYG LBs, IMO.

Colt will beat out Chase. He ran the offense much more efficiently, and looks much more comfortable making his reads and progressions. Hopefully we keep Chase on the practice squad.

It was interesting to see Wynn featured very little as well. I was originally thinking he was a bubble player fighting with Jackson and/or Montgomery, but the latter two were featured heavily throughout the game, while Wynn only played with the first team. Maybe they feel like they know exactly what Wynn brings and didn't need to see him to evaluate him, but more likely that was a sign that he's on the roster.

Chris Wilson could blow up this year. The only thing holding him back will be the number of snaps he sees. Hopefully he rotates with Andre Carter a little more than we saw last year, especially on passing downs.

Posted by: psps23 | September 4, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I will say 1 more thing.

Near all the Redskins Starters were out after 1 series. The Jaggz had all their guys still in it till 1/2time. The skins looked bad because they had a bunch of scrubs vs starters.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 4, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I forsee alot of 4 man spread formations....with Coooley spread out.

MAybe JC17 can get 3500 yards??? Possible? I hope so...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 4, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

psp, agreed, to me, the rotation of players, on the DL, and at WR is going to be a HUGE factor this year.....if you have 8 dl guys, USE ALL 8...keep the starters fresh so that by the 4th, their OL is wore out, and our DL is fresh...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

The only Redskin QB worth keeping is Collins, and I certainly wouldn't keep JC or any of the other prospective third stringers. Check the tradewinds and waiver wires for several better alternatives.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 4, 2009 8:30 AM

You have some severe mental deficeincies if you think Collins is better than Campbell. Collins is as much a scrub as Brennan. They both deserve to be unemployed...especially for what Collins is being paid to stink up the joint.

Posted by: ecale25 | September 4, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 4, 2009 10:02 AM

We can cure that if they would play him and Orakpo at different positions full time.

That's why this Orakpo/Wilson @ SAM/DE Hybrid this year to me is a trail run. Once Daniels retire after the season, I predict both will be starting and both will have one solid position.....

Though, in today's NFL, Def players are expected to be versatile...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 4, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Once again, and probably 20 more times after this...

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha

I thought the saying was, you can't teach a little guy to be big. Alridge got hurt last year. We need some game breakers and it needs to be Kelly and/or Thomas. And, it looks like those guys are coming around, plus Mitchell.

Makes me think of going 5 wide with Kelly, Thomas, Mitchell, Cooley, and Davis they're all 6'4" except Cooley 6'3"

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 4, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Agree,
We also have a decent 3-4 man rotation at the Saftey spot and a good 3 man at CB.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 4, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I hear the talk about Wilson, but he also had some bumbling plays. What about that other LB who was all over the field in the 2nd half? Is he a consideration? I'd almost prefer him to BoRak at LB... (hyperbole?)

And on the Aldridge vs. Mason debate - isn't Aldridge the record setter from the CFL? Not that that is a be all/end all, but it says something, anyway...

Again, as long as we aren't losing anything on ST...

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 4, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1

Clearly, you didn't see the Patriots game where Campbell's production equalled Brady's, or would you cut Brady too? And, in that game, we scored on our first possesion, they didn't. We also controlled the last 5-8 minutes of the half.

are you one of those guys that wants to cut all of our best players and think that will make us better?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 4, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Yeah that post is wak, vic

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 4, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Both Theismann and Doc Walker think Marcus Mason has made the team - and they believe it was decided before the game last night -which is why he did not play very much.

They also mentioned crazy stuff like cutting both Colt and Daniel in order to keep more RBs.

Posted by: Lisa_R | September 4, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

And I am going to hate Orakpo's coverage 'work-in-process' issues.

They are going to abuse him with match up problems the 1st game and ones there after. I hope Blache is prepared for that and covers him......

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 4, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Not everyone carries 3 qbs, do they? And if you put one or both on the practice squad, is anyone else really going to take them? doubt it...

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 4, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | September 4, 2009 10:18 AM

Makes sense....Then they would sign Chase to the Practice Sqaud. They may cut Cult if they don't like the relationship between he and Cooooley.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 4, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

----

Best line I've read all day :D

I got to see like 4 plays before the signal went all garbly on me. I think Alridge might get to stay if they keep 5 Running backs, if they keep 4 and one isn't rock, then Alridge or Mason could get the nod

Posted by: Veretax | September 4, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Dik,
I don't think everyone carries 3 QBs but I think most that carry 2 on the 53 man roster probably have one on the practice squad, just to keep a emergency guy in the system.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 4, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

agreed, 4th - let's keep him at DE for the start of the season, or at least in run stopping only mode at LB. Boss will eat him for breakfast...

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 4, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

ds, if you think about it, Collins as your #2, then you have ARE as your #3, which while not the ideal situation, I mean, I guess it could work.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure every team keeps 3 QBs, and dresses all 3 as well.

Posted by: psps23 | September 4, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

According to the JC haters we should probably just man up and Start ARE at QB, cut JC, and sign Heath Shuler to a 73 year contract as our 3rd string QB.

Posted by: ecale25 | September 4, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I was thinking that too. Seriously, if your #1 and #2 get injured you aren't winning the game anyways so who cares if Randle El comes in. For that situation to occur that means you were getting beaten like a rented mule to begin with so you might as well have some fun. Hell, at that point you could just direct snap to Portis. He can throw too.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 4, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Having lived in Philly that year where McNabb went down and then Koy Detmer came in for like a 1/2 game or something and got his arm broken.

I cannot watch a team go in to a game with 2 QBs because sometimes you need to break that glass.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 4, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I guess I'm in the minority that doesn't think Kelly is all that great. At times he looks awkward especially when flubbing a couple end zone opportunities. Thomas on the other hand looks more athletic and showed blazing speed on kick return as well as determination and grit after making catches.

Admittedly I didn't watch every down of the preseason so maybe I only saw his bad plays but

Posted by: congero | September 4, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Once again, and probably 20 more times after this...

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 4, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

1. Alridge is too small? Is that a serious point? Just like Darren Sproles is too small? MJD was too small in college? DeSean Jackson is too skinny? Despite being under the microscope at the 2008 combine, having Shanahan/Cerrato/Zorn/Skins players endorse him, I don't think anyone ever just stopped and realized...hey this is a little guy. Thanks for the scouting report! Back your bags, Alridge -- Pabrian says you're too little!

2. "Alridge got hurt last year". Lots of people get hurt playing football. Portis got hurt last year too. Reggie Bush is injury prone but how many games a year does he win for the Saints? And ironically, the first person you mention us "needing" after saying Alridge got hurt last year is Malcolm Kelly. Wasn't he hurt almost all of last year? He's probably too little!

3. Devin Thomas is not 6'4"

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha | September 4, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Fantasy Blogga Scouting Report:

DikShuttle

"If you are looking for a change of pace scat-poster than you can do no better than DikShuttle! His scattagorical rapid fire posts leave others bewildered, amused and enlightened before they have time to finish reading his posts. We also love his dedication to creating his own style and voice. You can't rely on him for deep analysis or objective views, b/c he is a "from the gut" type who relies on his on wit and heart rather than cold hard breakdowns.

Heel of Achilles: Unfortunately this is twofold. 1. His Colt Brennen obsession and his moral objection to fantasy sports.

Secret Weapon: The long version of his handle which captures his vibe in one funny, perplexing name.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 4, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Teams usually keep 3 QB's on their 53 man roster. #3 is inactive on gamedays but dresses and can be used if the 1st 2 are knocked out of the game. The rule is pretty complicated but that's the jist of it.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 4, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure every team keeps 3 QBs, and dresses all 3 as well.

Posted by: psps23 | September 4, 2009 10:28 AM

I think a handful of teams do. The Colts come to mind. The Bears will do it this year (most likely).

It's doable. Unconventional, but doable....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 4, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ecale25

Yeah, you're probably right -- about the mental deficiencies part at least. But if your decisions on who should go hinge on how badly they stink up the joint compared to what they're being paid, then JC wins that contest hands down -- although there numerous other candidates, of course.

If Dan really wants to improve the team, he may just need to dump Vinny -- who has time and again proven himself to be a notoriously bad judge of player talent and potential and the prevailing market rates for player salaries and incentives. So despite having one of the highest payrolls in the league -- the Skins may only win somewhere between 4 and 6 games this season -- and that's being optimistic.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 4, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

dlhaze1:

No, the 0-line already had a member held out of last night's game. CHAD RINEHART started at RG in place of RANDY THOMAS.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 4, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

4th, I sometimes get the vibe you want to be proven "right" about Orakpo that you are rooting against him, AND seeing what you want to see while watching him.

Will he make rookie mistakes? Yes. Will he have to adjust to the hybrid position? Yes. Will he be BEAST this year? YES!!!!!

Posted by: chrislarry | September 4, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

lmao! Thanks cL!

Pretty SJK'n accurate, too! thank you for using scattagorical instead of scatalogical!!!

...ColtBrennanColtBrennanColtBrennan...lmao

Hey, who's writing your's, cL?

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 4, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | September 4, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

What is your pessimistic view than? That the skins go 0-16?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 4, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | September 4, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

How did you come to the conlusion that a team that lost no significant players, added 3 good players through free agency, added one of the best draft prospects, is in the second year of their new offense, and has an easier schedule is going to lose 3-5 more games than the prior year? I'm just confused as to how you came to that conclusion since there is no basis for it whatsoever.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 4, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

BG I thought CR played solid last night. I think he will be a keeper and has made some serious improvements year 2-3. I do think just leave him at RG and be done with it though. Get good at 1 position.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 4, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Mike wise just pointed out Tom Boswells coulomb on DC's history of S*** owners, its worth a read.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 4, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I asked this above, anyone notice how CRinho played??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Dik, I did mine first and than either 4-12 or Alex did one. They are all on the wiki.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 4, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Dorsey was the CFL special teams mvp last year. Alridge was hurt/on the Broncos practice squad. I really like the potential of Alridge. I think its bigger than Mason's who is Betts 2.0. Imagine Moss, Kelly, Mitchell, Cooley in the slot. Defense completely spread out. And a draw to Alridge that goes 65 yards for a td. He can do that. Mason cant. Of course, he could drop the ball, but I think they can fix his fundamentals.

Posted by: brian58 | September 4, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Smoot the Destroyer!!

Knocking big time stars out of the game with big time tackles!!

Posted by: p1funk | September 4, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Glad it was preseason.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | September 4, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

A) quality screen name

B) I could not possibly be any happier with this preseason. No one lost for the season (knocking on wood as I type). No major injuries to key players. And 1-3 record is the perfect record to have. Get those losses out of the way now, get those fluky dropped passes out of the way, get the penalties out of the way now...etc.

C) Redskins 27 Giants 20

Posted by: Barno1 | September 4, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Beantown, I answered!

Posted by: chrislarry | September 4, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

cl, thanks, good to hear.....

vic1=periculum

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brian58 | September 4, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

That is 100% accurate.

And Beantown, Rhino looked like a backup. He got pushed back in Pass Pro a couple times (definitely once when Chase had a pass batted down). He also was a little slow to the outside on the screen play. But I think he'll continue to develop and be a good backup for the second half of the season. And hopefully starter potential by opening game 2010.

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha | September 4, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

"some serious improvements year 2-3"

should read year 1-2....

Posted by: chrislarry | September 4, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

The one thing Alridge has going for him is Portis' endorsement.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 4, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

AA could be a good punt returner. I'd have Batts and Thomas backto return KO's.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 4, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

12/21 VS Giants L

12/27 VS Cowboys L

1/3 @ Chargers L

Posted by: Vic1 | September 4, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brian58 | September 4, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Agreed.

The point I was trying to make by calling Mason Betts 2.0, is that if the team decides to keep 4 RBs (a crowded backfield in my opinion) What is the point of keeping 3 backs with similar skill sets?

Mason or Alridge would at best see 5-10 plays a game. With the speed Alridge has I think he has more value to the skins given the set of backs already on the team.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 4, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

IMO, a couple of respected veterans including Wynn and Rock are going to be let go to keep some of the young guys like Rob Jackson and Marcus Mason who have more upside. I'd be shocked if Jackson was cut at the expense of keeping Wynn on the roster. Jarmon was picked with a 3rd rounder from next year's draft and looks like a keeper who may contribute this year.

As for Aldridge and Dorsey, they've done nothing in preseason that warrants them being kept on the 53-man roster (maybe the practice squad). Devin Thomas has shown he can return KO's pretty well and is more of a breakaway threat than Rock. I don't see Rock being kept strictly because he's a strong contributor on kick and punt coverage. That's a waste of a roster spot and probably means we keep one of the young RB's.

Not overly impressed with either Raynor or Suisham. I wouldn't be confident in either one making a 45+ yard FG in a close game. Suisham's kickoffs are consistently short which give the other teams good field position and Raynor looks shaky even on PAT's. Maybe a kicker gets cut over the weekend that would be an upgrade. Hunter Smith is the best punter we've had in years and looks to be a good holder which should help our kicker.

Posted by: wizfan89 | September 4, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | September 4, 2009 10:41 AM

My 1st good laugh of the day! Thx...I needed that...

I say that because I thought my wife was talking to me for a second. I say one thing, and she begins to take 'it' and run with 'it' to the furtherest point from what I was thinking! And that's what you just did!

All I said was I am worried about his pass coverage. Everybody on the beat has mentioned it atleast in passing (notes wise) about his pass coverage but no one (Beat reporters/bloggas/media) is focusing on it. Did you see the 1st drive? HE, Orakpo, has faulted on many pass coverage situations throughout the preseason, but no one is making a big deal about it. (Similar to how I was saying don't worry about MK12 and the OLine, but everyone still worries about them).

I was focusing on one aspect.

Re: Hybrid thing - That's on the organization, not Orakpo. He's going to do what he's told. I called out Blache to cover Orakpo because they are going to test him. I don't want him to get set up by the organization.....

We all know I was against him before I was for him. But ever since we drafted him, I have backed him 100%.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 4, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Once again, and probably 20 more times after this...

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha

What makes you so sure that Aldridge will grasp this concept? How do you know? There have been players that have fumbled their way out of the league I'm sure.

How do you know that if Aldridge is taught to secure the ball in a different manner is won't change is running style therefor diminishing his speed.

Sometimes you can't change what a player does, by doing so you take away parts of their game that makes them who they are.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 4, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

ESPN First Take says on the Cover 2 segment how much DHall says he's matured and is ready to take it to the next level. Says how JC handled this offseason inspired him. Hopefully both guys light it up this year...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 4, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

uh... yeah. So Vic is 4-12?? lmao.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 4, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

can someone please post my prediction of 5-11...i would but i'm not into username/passwords/registrations...

greg, i'm sure you, along with joey T would defend the skins for filing and winning a lawsuit against that po ol lady. it would not surprise me one bit.

i'm really really concerned about the secondary...hall will be fine if he keeps his cool but i don't know about rogers and/or anyone else...

T-minus 9 days! can't wait. sucks it's a 4'0clock game. could've been worse i guess (a monday night game)....i'm very sighted...eventhough we all know what's going to happen...hopefully the D can score or put the O in inside 30/20...

Posted by: dealer1 | September 4, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

12/21 VS Giants L

12/27 VS Cowboys L

1/3 @ Chargers L

Posted by: Vic1 | September 4, 2009 10:53 AM

Heh. Vic1 = 4-12

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 4, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

My 1st good laugh of the day! Thx...I needed that...

4th you know CL plays Mrs. Mom every week. lol

Posted by: jm220 | September 4, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

i think tiki barber was the perfec example of an exception it's deff. not a rule.

Posted by: dealer1 | September 4, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

We're gonna get crushed in Jersey. Campbell will be running for his life and we're back to square one. No pass protection and everybody ready to punt the QB out of town. SUCK AGAIN!

Posted by: peterandmeredith | September 4, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

12/13 @ Raiders W

12/21 VS Giants W

12/27 VS Cowboys W

1/3 @ Chargers L

Posted by: Barno1 | September 4, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 4, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse
They announced before the game that their starters would play 1st half. Del Rio's choice.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 4, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Oh, don't see much mention of it today, but how nice was it to see Doughty playing healthy & well?

Did you see him PLANT Gerrard on that non-sack? AWESMOE!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 4, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | September 4, 2009 11:01 AM

Co-sign. And the thing is Tiki Barber is worth the time it takes to teach the man to hold onto the ball. IR Aldridge? Not so much. Aldridge is gone on Saturday. Probably already booked his flight.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

deal, first of all you realize this isn't the lions blog right......I mean, you're prone to acts of foolishness/stupidity, to I'm just checking....secondly, how is Jansen working out for you guys......thirdly, charles rogers is allegely going to be playing in the CFL, you should check it out.....

all kidding aside how you been....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

4th you know CL plays Mrs. Mom every week. lol

Posted by: jm220 | September 4, 2009 11:01 AM

exactly.....

Facts Rulz
Reaching drulz

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 4, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

On hindsight I think my draft last night in the RI flinging' flanging' league was very good, 3 RB's who were no 1 on their team depth charts and some good depth. Happy with that.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 4, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

for those able to watch the game, how did Rhinehart look??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse
Rino started, and held his own in pass protection. I could not tell ho he did in run-blocking. I don't know if he came out after 1 Q or if he played til halftime. But I thought he did fine.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 4, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

4th you know I got to clown my good friend CL a little.

Posted by: jm220 | September 4, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

"What is the point of keeping 3 backs with similar skill sets?" - PortisPocketsStr8

Mason is a better pass catcher than Portis.

Mason runs between the tackles better than Portis.

Mason is faster than Portis.

Portis is a better pass blocker.

Portis is better on tosses and sweeps.

To me Betts brings nothing to the table. Rock is good on special teams. I could live as long as Methuselah and never understand the fascination over those two.

Since Betts brings nuffin', you cut him like it's nuffin'. Devin Thomas can return kicks if they're that worried about KO returns.

Just because they're built the same way doesn't mean they have similar skill sets.

I'd have no problem if they kept Aldridge on the roster.

I wouldn't mind seeing Portis, Mason, and Aldridge.

But it'll probably look more like: Portis, Betts, Cartwright, and (maybe) Mason.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 4, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | September 4, 2009 10:37 AM

The way this team is built, they won't compete for a Super Bowl but they also won't bottom out. The Skins have too much talent for that. And therein lies the rub: you'll never win less than 5 or 6 games but you'll probably never win more than 10 or 11.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 4, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | September 4, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

San Diego will most likely already have their division won so they will be resting their starters. I'd put a W on SD. The Saints rebuilt their secondary so they should really freaking good this year. I'd put an L on them.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 4, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

A little nugget from the Vinny show on 980. He said that they will keep in all likelihood 25 on offense, 25 on defense, 3 on special teams. He also said the they will likely keep 9 on the OL. doing the math and based on the preseason, we can assume 3 TE, 5 WR. That leaves 8 spots. 3 QB will men 5 RB/FB. Vinny also said Alridge hurt himself w/ the fumble, but then came back and made plays so he'll be discussed later.

Posted by: TWISI | September 4, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

for those able to watch the game, how did Rhinehart look??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 9:59 AM |

Posted by: chrislarry | September 4, 2009 10:43 AM |

BeantownGreg1: sp, dude, sp. It's Rinehart.

chrislarry: yrs, dude, yrs. It's not 2-3. It's 1-2, if that. He has yet to play a reg season game so officially he is still at the start of year 1.

Posted by: EncinoMan | September 4, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

encinoman, i corrected myself already but thanks

Posted by: chrislarry | September 4, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Dixon
E.Williams
E.Williams

Posted by: psps23 | September 4, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1

What up deal?

That's exactly what I'm saying about Aldridge.

Just because Tiki was taught how to not fumble doesn't mean that Aldridge will do the same. By asking Aldridge to carry the ball differently, you maybe taking away his speed that people seem to cream over.

What works for some, doesn't always work for others

Posted by: RedDMV | September 4, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Mason is a better pass catcher than Portis.
Mason runs between the tackles better than Portis.
Mason is faster than Portis.

Red, where are you getting this from? I assume it goes without saying that it’s your opinion that……
But what has been shown even in the pre-season games or stat wise to say that Mason is any of the three above?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 4, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 4, 2009 11:10 AM

Plus the Saints have a new DC, one who's a Ggenious. Not sure how many HC's will be chosen next year but I'm thinking he could put himself back in the running if the Saints have a good run.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

psp, sounds about right, I'd get behind that....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

pa, both saints defensive ends will be suspended for the game vs the Redskins...so that will play in our favor....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | September 4, 2009 10:37 AM

1. I question YOUR ability to judge talent if you have any delusions as to JC being anything other than the hands down best QB on this team.

2. Vinny Cerrato is no Bill Parcells, but he has done fairly well since he got the big title as far as drafting and cultivating young talent.

Posted by: ecale25 | September 4, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I think there is a reason that the Vikings didn't re-sign Darren Sharper.

You all do know that Sharper is 34, right?

He's on the decline. Adding him to their secondary isn't a reason to think they'll drastically improve all the sudden.

They also have a rookie CB, but I think he'll be a beast eventually, but he's still just a rookie this year.

I guess you all are vouching for their secondary because of Leigh Torrence and Pierson Prioleau connect.

Must be a 'skins thing...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 4, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

If I was an intrepn...entrepra...enterpre....businessman, I'd lob a call to the guy who taught Tiki Barber how NOT to fumble with his high-carry technique, and offer to manage him. Then I'd lease him to teams every camp.

Don't understand why all backs aren't taught to carry that way. It made a fumbler into a guy who never laid it on the turf.

Posted by: TheCork | September 4, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

a 69 vette for a vw convertible cork.....really....how can anyone take you seriously after telling us that.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

psps,

RBs - I say that Mason doesn't make it, and they end up keeping Alridge.

OL - They NEED to cut M.Williams and pick up a tackle from some other teams cuts. If they like M.Williams so much they can tell him to keep working out and invite him to camp again next year...it's not like anyone else is gonna go get him.

PS Hopefuls - I'd add Lendy Holmes to that list. Showed something last night and has alot of versatility in the secondary.

Other than that you've got my vote for the roster selections.

Posted by: p1funk | September 4, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Here it is, final projections:

...

Posted by: psps23 | September 4, 2009 11:14 AM |

Posted by: EncinoMan | September 4, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Did you see him PLANT Gerrard on that non-sack? AWESMOE!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 4, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse
Yes, Doughty made a number of sticks last night. I was pleasantly surprised.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 4, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | September 4, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I believe it was Tom Coughlin.

And then Tiki Barber - in all of his classiness - wnet out and started throwing Tom under the bus.

I live 2 houses down from a G-Men fan and even he is ashamed to admit that he has a Tiki Barber jersey.

Posted by: p1funk | September 4, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

If Tom Brady gets dropped I bet we pick him up!

Posted by: alex35332 | September 4, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

how can anyone take you seriously after telling us that.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 11:28 AM

how could anyone take him seriously before?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Props to all the redskins fans at the game last night. I enjoyed meeting the Redskins Insiders tailgating behind the Maxwell House plant and the lady in the Redskins Brunnel jersey. Oh, and if you were at the game, check out page 107 of the Game Day book and remember, all you yankee teams look alike to us.

Posted by: tigerjag3330 | September 4, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Yea, I would probably cut MWilliams if it was my choice, but I was attempting to guess what Vinny selects. JReid seems adamant that they'll stick with Williams through anything and everything, so I had to add him.

Posted by: psps23 | September 4, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

If Tom Brady gets dropped I bet we pick him up!

Posted by: alex35332 | September 4, 2009 11:31 AM

Only if 12 other teams don't.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 4, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

You don't know for sure. But give him the chance. He adds a dimension to the offense that we don't have. The guy is only 24 years old. His ceiling is so much higher than Mason's (who is older as well). Remember developing our talent? He'd be the 3rd Running Back. He wouldn't be in with the game on the line -- that's when our Pro Bowler would be playing. But his UPSIDE is undeniable, so you keep him, try to correct his fumbling issue, and then reap the benefits of his explosive game. He has the ability to score a TD any time he touches the ball -- depending on blocking. If he doesn't work out...cut him and you lose nothing.

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha | September 4, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 4, 2009 11:31 AM

Two houses for a Ginas fan? I thought you were in a better neighborhood. Look, with the real estate market in flux, you can probably move out of there pretty cheap.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Thx for comin' by Tiger. Very sporting of you. Thanks for the good game!

lmao @ AL!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 4, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

greg, you seem to know a whole lot about the lions? pour quoi? sadly they've looked better in the preseason than our beloved team. but no other city in this country needs a diversion than detroit. let's hope they do well this year.

i been okay...had a 3rd baby...not as sleep deprived/cranky as i was couple of months ago...though i'm sure that will change once the season starts...looking forward to the season starting also to really start comparing and contrasting Washpost's coverage of the skins now that we have a new govenah in town. it's been "ehh" so far.

Posted by: dealer1 | September 4, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 4, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I honestly think JReid started waving a flag for M.Williams b/c he felt bad about saying the obvious when M.Williams confronted him.

After last night, I think even Vinny would have a hard time justifying a roster spot for M.Williams.

JReid was right in his first assessment of Williams - does NOT belong on a football field.

Posted by: p1funk | September 4, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 4, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse
You can probably make this same comment about 15 - 20 other teams.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 4, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

"Let's make this harder than pie. Who if any will the Skins pick up from other teams - cuts, trades, etc. - and if they do who will they drop from the 53?

Posted by: EncinoMan"

I can only see 2 areas where we add players: LB and O-line. Management has gone on record multiple times saying we're sticking with our O-line as is, so I think if we were to add another body from outside camp, it will be at the LB spot. But given the draft picks we spent there, I don't see it happening.

Posted by: psps23 | September 4, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1

Mason showed superior pass catching ability in the Patriots game, you know, the game that mattered the most (3rd preseason game). He was lined up in the slot on a play, and caught a pass out of the slot. When have you ever seen Portis lined up in the slot?

I'll help you -- never... He was also used on screens and was the check down receiver. In both of these situations he caught passes and got positive yards.

Mason has shown that he has no problem taking it between the tackles. From MY observation he runs between the tackles better than Portis. And you're crazy if you think that Mason isn't faster than Portis.

At this point Portis isn't faster than too many RBs in this league. I recall his longest run last year against the Eagles, in which he should have been gone... out.. scored. But instead was caught at like the 8 or 10 yard line by a safety that had to come form the other side of the field. Fast, NFL fast, NFL RB fast, Portis is not.

It's not like I'm saying that Mason is better than Portis. If you read my Post, YOU WILL KNOW that there aren't too many fans or bloggers who are bigger Portis backers/supporters than I.

Just ask 'richard cranium'. I got into a all day pissing contest with the dude, who makes it his business to dog Portis every chance he gets.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 4, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 4, 2009 11:31 AM

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I bought my house from my folks. It's the house I grew up in.

My neighbor moved in a couple years ago.

This is MY neighborhood.

Anyhow, he's a decent guy - at least he has the good sense to be ashamed of Tiki Barber...

Posted by: p1funk | September 4, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha | September 4, 2009 11:34 AM

You don't keep a guy JUST because of upside. He has two issues: injuries (he was on IR last year) and flumbling. His downside is also much lower than Mason's.

If he can go on the practice sqaud, that's the place for guys with big UPSIDE. But he's not ready for the 53 man roster.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone have a sense of how much Fred Davis has improved? I feel like we've gotten a lot of info on Kelly and Thomas, but can someone tell me whether Davis will contribute a lot this year?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

red, i didn't even know that aldridge was even in the discussion until i came up here today. i thought it was cp, betts, mason, rock, sellers. done deal. i've seen some nice returns this preseason and i thought that was dorsey i guess that must've been aldridge.

Posted by: dealer1 | September 4, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

deal, congrats on #3, how is mrs deal and the baby doing??

I'm in the camp of MWill not making the team, the Jags should be cutting a guy who could be more valuble......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

at least he has the good sense to be ashamed of Tiki Barber...

Posted by: p1funk | September 4, 2009 11:37 AM |

How about his Plaxico jersey? Is he wearing that lately? I guess you had to put your Pierce Redskins jersey away when he moved in.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Who's gonna return punts???? No one's talking about Dorsey. And I guess he's gone but I really liked him on PR when they had him back there.

Posted by: carocanesfan | September 4, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Thx for comin' by Tiger. Very sporting of you. Thanks for the good game!

lmao @ AL!

Infrequent poster, frequent enjoyer of jibba jabba.

Posted by: tigerjag3330 | September 4, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

And please tell me it's not gonna be ARE...

Posted by: carocanesfan | September 4, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

T_E I think Davis will get on the field more but there will always be an issue with the fact that he ain't gonna beat out CC.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 4, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha

First of all sheriff, Mason is 25. 24-25? Not a whole lot of difference in age. and given Mason's lack of NFL experience (bring on the Mason hatin'), he probably has less wear and tear on his body. The age of a running back isn't measured by how many B-days they've celebrated, but how much wear and tear is on their bodies.

And I'm for developing younger talent, but it's like you're saying the boy Mason isn't talented. The dude Mason is talented. THAT'S "undeniable".

Aldridge is fast yes, but Mason is the better overall runner, who isn't slow either, and doesn't put the ball on the ground as much.

Aldridge may never fix his fumbling issue. It's easier to teach one how to pass block (Mason's weakness) than it is to teach a player not to fumble (Aldridge's weakness).

With Aldridge you're asking him to change technique and possibly mechanics, which could take away other parts (speed) of his game. With Mason, you're trying to teach technique. A facet of the game in which he isn't required to touch the ball, which isn't his primary duty.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 4, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 4, 2009 11:36 AM |

RB needs to be upgraded also. To a certain extent it is a function of what comes on the market in terms of cuts or trades as it is how much the Skins like what they have.

Posted by: EncinoMan | September 4, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 4, 2009 11:36 AM

I understand that you were pointing out the different skill sets, but I guess I read it as a Mason>Portis post…..

Anyway, I think that Portis is going to surprise a few people this season with some long runs….it’s getting popular to say he’s slow.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 4, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

The biggest upgrade needed is Portis. If he goes down.....

no 'Championship'....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 4, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Vinny doesn't sound like he's leaning towards carrying a QB on the practice squad. He said the practice squad has to be able to help on the scout team. I am guessing that the 3rd QB will be the scout team QB.

Posted by: TWISI | September 4, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fearturtle44 | September 4, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Marko Mitchell would have caught that ball. It hit ARE right in the hands. He has a problem dropping balls in critical game situations...

Posted by: siris | September 4, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I"m kinda w/ you, Beaner. (feels weird...)

At some point JoeyT was talking about the contributions of BMW and I"m all like wtSJK?!

btw, how about Kenny & Joe? I like that team!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 4, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 4, 2009 11:53 AM |

Keep in mind the decline of Tomlinson and the fact that he is only one year ahead of Portis in terms of NFL service.

Posted by: EncinoMan | September 4, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 4, 2009 11:50 AM

And Mason doesn't have the injury history that Aldridge does.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

You act like he's not playable right now. Just because someone has enormous upside doesn't mean they are strictly a project. You can contribute before you've reached your potential... You know what else makes people better? Game experience. Mason replicates the style of play that Portis and Betts offer (worse than Portis, better than Betts for the most part). Alridge brings something different. He can play now and he can learn and get better while he does it. But Mason, while more polished now, isn't going to outrun defensive backs. The Chargers brought Sproles along slowly but even in 2007 he was contributing in his limited time. We could do the same with Alridge.
Isn't anyone else tired of the Redskins being one of the slowest teams in the NFL??? Our new pass catchers offer a glimmer of hope in this area. Adding Alridge would get us there.

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha | September 4, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

at least he has the good sense to be ashamed of Tiki Barber...

Posted by: p1funk | September 4, 2009 11:37 AM |

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

As far as I know there's no Plax jersey.

If I find one in my neighborhood, I will chew out the neighbor for setting a bad example for the neighborhood children.

We don't idolize criminals around here, espcially ones from NFC East divisional opponents.

No Pierce jersey here.

I rock Santana 89.

My wife (who I converted from Giants to Skinsianity as a stipulation of our marriage) has a CP26.

My 3-year old son has the Cooley 47.

My 1 year old daughter has a pink Skins onesie, but she's growing fast and needs a jersey...

Posted by: p1funk | September 4, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I meant behind Portis...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 4, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fearturtle44 | September 4, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: siris | September 4, 2009 11:56 AM

Maybe. But don't forget that Marko Mitchell dropped the first pass that was thrown to him. Hit him right in the hands.

I love Marko for the long haul. But I'm not ready to reduce ARE's role.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Portis is one of the fastest players on the Skins. He won a 40 yd race with Landry for fastest player at the end of camp last year...

Mason will be lucky to make the team. And if he does make the roster, then he will probably be inactive most game days; barring injury to Portis and Betts.

Posted by: siris | September 4, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Steinz seems to think Mason is on the 53:

dcsportsbog: Asked which young backs have impressed, Vinny just praised Mason extensively, inc on special teams, and mentioned no one else. Congrats dude
21 minutes ago from web

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | September 4, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 11:15 AM |

Mebbe. Then again, mebbe not. He was booted out of Jax, DC and Buff. What's that saying about a three time loser?

Posted by: EncinoMan | September 4, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Steinz seems to think Mason is on the 53:

21 minutes ago from web

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | September 4, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I hope that pussbag Danny Smith hears that...

Posted by: p1funk | September 4, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: siris | September 4, 2009 12:03 PM |

In my mind, Landry isn't exactly a burner. Would have been more impressive if he had beaten Moss. But I am glad it wasn't Moss. There would have been hammie trouble for sure after that.

Posted by: EncinoMan | September 4, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

dl, no, hell NO! That WAS NOT a Mason > Portis post.

My top two 'skins of all time? One name 'Sean' and the other named 'Clinton'.

Dudes named 'Clinton' (meaning: "settlement on the summit") are awesome. That's not even debatable.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 4, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha | September 4, 2009 12:00 PM

Rhetorical question?

I think I can safely say that everyone's tired of this. But, I would rather be slowest than the most frequent fumblers. If a guy goes out there on the biggest night of his life and fumbles a KO the way this man did, I really question whether he can overcome it.

And, I don't think any player will ever reach his upside if he spends his season on IR.

That's why I'd want him to spend time on the practice squad before cutting Mason, Betts, or Cartwright to make a space for him.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Us Campbell non-supporters have, for the near future, be silenced. Campbell, for what ever preseason tells you, seems to have taken the bull by the horn. He has embraced the longer developing down field passing game and has found "the rhythm" he often refers to. They have the Gmen in 9 days, hopefully the confidence remains.

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | September 4, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | September 4, 2009 12:12 PM

Not all of you....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 4, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: psps23 | September 4, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 4, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Red,
1. I don't get your first point about Mason being 'Fresher' than Alridge because neither has played a snap in the NFL and Alridge is younger.
2. I'm not saying Mason isn't talented. I would love to keep him over Betts. But since we're not doing that, he's redundant. Same TYPE of player (just worse at pass blocking).
3. How are you so sure that Mason is the better overall runner? Neither has played in the NFL yet. Alridge played at a better College program (Houston vs Youngstown State) and TORE it up his junior/senior years. He set the school record by averaging over 10ypc his junior year. He can play RB, WR, SPECIAL TEAMS, and even used to play QB and was used on gadget plays in college. It's not a foregone conclusion that Mason is the better overall runner. Not at all.
4. Fumbling vs. Pass protection. I can't tell you which is easier to teach. So I'll defer and assume that you're right and that pass blocking is easier because it doesn't affect your running motion. But fumbling wasn't an issue for Alridge last preseason or in college. Mason has NEVER been a good pass-blocking RB. Why hasn't he learned yet???

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha | September 4, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: TWISI | September 4, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Finally, let's talk about the NEXT game...

The Skins have got to score over 20 points in the Meadowlands, a prospect that hasn't remotely been realistic. Eli threw for over 300 years once season vs. the Skins in their last matchup. Can the Skins have consistent offense enough to not have their 3 & out lulls they had moreso often in the late 1st quarter 2nd quarter last year? This will definitely be an O line test, because there are no 2 better pair DE's in the NFL than Tuck & Osi...

F the roster, let the REAL games begin...

Skins 24 Giants 17

Posted by: bernard_thompson | September 4, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Campbell just might have some weapons this year (Moss, Kelly, Cooley, Davis). I'm curious to see if Zorn gets aggressive when the games count.

Posted by: coparker5 | September 4, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I hate to be a bummer but it's difficult for me to take this team too seriously. I see way too many holes and unless I am missing something, we looked like complete dog shyt this pre-season.

We don't have an offensive line. Our special teams definitely look special, they take the short bus to school. Our defense looks confused and hasn't gelled. I hate all of our starting DB's except Horton and possibly the overrated Landry. Our defensive line was pushed around the entire preseason, WTF? We have two horrible kickers competing for a position, and we still don't have a GM.

I just don't understand what this teams identity is anymore. We have been losing for so many years that I am starting to give up before the season even starts.

Gotta go kill myself now!

HTTR!

Posted by: dcfan1 | September 4, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

It really doesn't matter which QB plays for the Skins or is kept on the team. Jim Zorn runs on 2nd and 7, 2nd and 8, 2nd and 9, and 2nd and 10. Whomever is back there under center aint got a chance to complete a pass on 3rd and 7, 3rd and 8, 3rd and 9, and 3rd and 10. Let me call plays, please. Pass when you're not supposed to and run when you're not supposed to. This gives your line, QB, RB and wide receivers the advantage they need.

Posted by: getitritegov | September 4, 2009 7:49 AM |

------------------

I am generally a "positive" fan, but I do agree with your assessment. I believe Zorn, like Gibbs, has a mental block regarding how to call plays. I believe he overthinks it while the defenses just play to our weaknesses.

I believe going from 6-2 to 2-6 could be partially balmed on play-calling. Like there is a"quota" to be met. We are down 14 points, there is 7 minutes left, it's 2nd and 8: please either pass or call a trick play. There is no shame in calling 5 passes in a row if that is what is needed. Using run to set up the passing game is a historical consideration. it doesn't fool any one south of Detroit.

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 4, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse