Why Not Go to Kelly?

I expected wideout Malcom Kelly to be much more involved in the Redskins' red zone offense than he has been through the first two games. In the 9-7 victory over the St. Louis Rams, the Redskins were inside the Rams' 11-yard line three times, but Kelly wasn't a big part of the game plan at that stage of those possessions. Washington failed to produce a touchdown and has scored only one on offense in eight quarters.

Call me silly, but why wouldn't the Redskins have Kelly be a major part of things in those situations? Listed at 6-feet-4, 227 pounds, Kelly is the biggest wideout on the roster (rookie wide receiver Marko Mitchell also is listed at 6-4). Coaches often have told me that Kelly, because of his size and leaping ability, could help draw some of the defensive focus from tight end Chris Cooley and give the team two big-time scoring threats in that area of the field.

"Definitely, Malcolm is one of the guys we're going to utilize and do different things with, but we've just had two games," quarterback Jason Campbell said. "Malcolm has been involved in a lot of stuff, and we want to get him more involved, but you have to play smart football. Sometimes, the defense takes away things and you have to adjust."

Well, what about a jump ball or two involving Kelly? With the problems the Redskins have had scoring in the red zone, I would imagine those could work occasionally.

The point is, the Redskins need to utilize everyone with the potential to be big-time playmakers. Kelly has the potential and is eager to help.

"There are things we just have to work on," Kelly said. "It's not like it's not there for us [in the red zone], the plays are there to be made, but we're just a little short here and there. I know it's going to come because they're good plays and they should work."

By Jason Reid  |  September 24, 2009; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rinehart, Montgomery Vie for Thomas' Spot
Next: Morning Bits

Comments

first!

Posted by: sdalev | September 24, 2009 6:10 AM | Report abuse

How about starting Todd Collins?

Posted by: sdalev | September 24, 2009 6:11 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, JReid. Hopefully Zorn will involve Kelly more in his play-callings especially @ the red zone.

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 24, 2009 6:11 AM | Report abuse

What? Going to Kelly would make sense! God knows common sense is lost on our buddy Mr. Zorn...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2009 6:15 AM | Report abuse

Good post from yesterday, brownwood26.

***

I do act like a Skins fan. On Sundays, when I'm screaming at my TV like any other football fan out there.

The other 6 days of the week are spent analyzing what went wrong. I've been doing this for all 17 of my years as a fan, and you'll excuse me if that process gets a little tedious.

So if you want sunshine blown up your skirt, then go get your Redskins info from Larry Michael and those paid to spin the Redskins' web of mediocrity into fool's gold. I prefer to deal in reality.

And quite frankly, I've had about my fill of folks here lining up to question my fanhood and viewpoint. If I have to listen to the nauseatingly positive fans that can see the good in 0-16 and your Republican buddies who like to dream up new and ridiculous ways to defame our president, then certainly you can deal with me not having a rosy view of what the Skins will do in '09 despite a lousy owner and mediocre coach.

Give me courtesy, get it back. Simple math.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 23, 2009 7:38 AM

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 24, 2009 6:17 AM | Report abuse

I believe you have to pass the ball in the red zone before you can actually direct it towards a receiver...

Posted by: PaulTerp | September 24, 2009 6:25 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, RedCherokee. Hopefully today will be a better day...closer to gameday, so that's always good.

Paul, funny stuff. I just wish this team was stout enough up front to just punch it in with Portis. That would just make everything easier.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2009 6:29 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Zorn is an idiot but there has to be a reason why he won't throw early in the red zone. Is he trying to avoid showing his cards so early in the season against weaker opponents?... Probably not but there is a logical reason from his standpoint, I just cant believe a former quarterback would rather run, run, pass...

Posted by: Rush21 | September 24, 2009 6:40 AM | Report abuse

marko mitchell may have that nose for the end zone like moss and t.o.; play marko and kelley on the outside with redskin moss in the slot. ever see the pats slot receiver drive defenses nuts?

Posted by: johnwlux | September 24, 2009 6:46 AM | Report abuse

I swear to God, you and Greg have to be the most antagonistic people I've ever encountered in my life...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2009 6:10 AM

Once again, we're in agreement, this time about beantowngreg. I have reported him for abuse so many times, and I can't see why they still let him post up here. He's more annoying than that firejimzorn guy.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 24, 2009 6:48 AM | Report abuse

What is Zorn's history here? Didn't he keep a lid on Hasselbeck for quite a while? Things worked out okay in the long run with that, but maybe we don't have the patience to wait another year for passing plays to finally show up. I know for sure that the run-run-pass drives me absolutely crazy. Watching CPo run two feet and disappear into the pile AGAIN makes me throw things at the t.v....

Posted by: SonofNero | September 24, 2009 6:51 AM | Report abuse

...and just so you know, I live in Canada now, so t.v. is all I got. Unless maybe I drive to Detroit for this weekend's game...

Posted by: SonofNero | September 24, 2009 6:54 AM | Report abuse

ever see the pats slot receiver drive defenses nuts?

Posted by: johnwlux | September 24, 2009 6:46 AM

Slot receivers tend to be more effective when the defense at least respects the flankers. We've seen them and know they can play, but nobody is afraid of seeing Marko and Kelly split wide.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2009 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Hey Brownwood,

I regret voicing my suspicion about your fanhood. Most of my friends are Cowboy or Eagle fans believe it or not. Listening to Portis talk about the growing tension among fans and the organization speaks volumes to my aforementioned hypothesis on the negative effect..um nevermind. I'm sorry and I'm gonna leave you alone. You seem to get the picture yourself:

"And quite frankly, I've had about my fill of folks here lining up to question my fanhood and viewpoint."

`
Do you even wonder why folks would question your fanhood? I've removed myself from that group..Peace.

Posted by: Vicc | September 24, 2009 6:59 AM | Report abuse

As 4U chrislarry. Dawg i'have only been done blogging on RI since leight last year and that'is not the ferst time u've accused a blogger of pretendering intellect behind generealizations. And on top of that, u'r not the only blogger whom had played that hand befour. I dunno whose rehashing who.

If you disagree with something I've said then provide a counter instead of insults.

Example

You said: "Equating people's home life and personal beliefs into what kind of fan they are?"

My Counter: You've mentioned this TWICE while IGNORING my response in between. I explained that I was not using that argument to question Brownwoods fanhood, but that it might be the reason he's so soured all the time; I was trying to get under his skin.

Go back and read my posts. I asked a few questions and offered a few opinions. Never have I ever claimed to be a genius, you pretentious azzhole.

Peace

Posted by: Vicc | September 24, 2009 7:00 AM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid | September 24, 2009; 6:00 AM ET

Isn't this what OTA'S and training camp is for ? work on? come on this is the NFL, if you can't throw a slant or fade route then something is wrong, These are simple plays and you need to work on this.

Posted by: drumer1972 | September 24, 2009 7:01 AM | Report abuse

A message from all TVs that belong to Redskin fan owners:

"Please please please don't throw things at me or throw me out of the window! It's not my fault that the Redskins stunk! I just show 'em like it is."

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 24, 2009 7:03 AM | Report abuse

I hope our team is not losing focus on the Detroit Lions this week.

Posted by: Vicc | September 24, 2009 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Skins offense is a debacle.

i hope when campbell's gone and making pro bowls with another team...he talks about the ridiculousness of this whole situation. Zorn does not call plays that suit his roster.

Square peg...round hole.

skins to win sunday, but lions to cover.

Posted by: carsonspence | September 24, 2009 7:13 AM | Report abuse

If they do lose to Detroit.. there may be a litter of tvs on the curb..

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 24, 2009 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Why throw to the tallest guy in the end zone when you can run a half back option throwing to the smallest guy in the end zone? To me, it makes perfect sense to have Cooley, Marko Mitchell and Kelly in the end zone waving their hands way up high for the ball. This is why they drafted those guys. Why the heck won't they use them?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 24, 2009 7:22 AM | Report abuse

You guys have to check this out if you haven't already. Now I am not a big Zorn fan but have to say he handle himself really well here.(excpect not wanting to continue to throw the ball)

Posted by: jm220 | September 24, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse

I am so sick of this "we've only had two games" stuff.

The future is now, people!

Posted by: hithere1 | September 24, 2009 7:43 AM | Report abuse

I remember in the preseason that one jump ball was thrown to Kelly in the endzone. I didnt like how he went for the ball. He didnt time it good and he didnt square his shoulders to get the ball.

Now, Marko has great body control with those type of catches, but they wont start him over Kelly. Marko is a better athlete in my mind.

Posted by: gallrick | September 24, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

RedSkinHead must have been evesdropping on my conversations! Yes, you split Mitchell AND Kelly out wide and open up the middle for Cooley (like the Cowgirls do for Witten). I'd even take Moss out to make this happen (you can leave Sellers and Portis in for defenses to still respect the run).

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | September 24, 2009 7:54 AM | Report abuse

The Giants call being inside the opponent's 20 yard line the Green Zone because that is where you make your money. The lob pass to the corner of the end zone is one of the easiest plays to make when you have tall receivers. Look at other teams in the league. Copy them, you idiots! Earn your @#%$ money.

Posted by: donsilvester | September 24, 2009 8:04 AM | Report abuse

I like some of the stuff I'm hearing from portis/cooley regarding the team, they seem to realize that its on them to produce....I like their chances this weekend against the lions...I think they'll win this game.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 24, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

They could have lookeams had one last week the Rams threw one to score on us.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 24, 2009 8:06 AM | Report abuse

KELLY RIGHT SIDE, DAVIS RIGHT TIGHT END, COOLEY LEFT TIGHT END, MITCHELL LEFT END, SELLERS AND PORTIS IN BACKFIELD BLITZ COVERAGE, THROW THE FADE TO WHICHEVER IS OPEN AS A "JUMP" BALL 3 TIMES IN A ROW IF WE HAVE TO. THEY CAN'T DOUBLE TEAM ALL THAT HEIGHT. ISN'T THAT WHY WE DRAFTED THEM?

Posted by: boysheadcoach | September 24, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

I am so sick of this "we've only had two games" stuff.

The future is now, people!

Posted by: hithere1 | September 24, 2009 7:43 AM

You are so right. And if you'll just hang on for three more days, we'll embrace the future and "two games stuff" will be over. Sunday afternoon we start with the "three games" stuff.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 24, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Put the smurfs on the bench in the red zone

Posted by: boysheadcoach | September 24, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

te, saw your comments above....got me eye's on you.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 24, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Was perusing PFT last night, and they had a piece on there yesterday, regarding Parcells, and how folks in the Dolphins Front office, think that he's getting the itch again, and could be back as soon as 2010..........do with that, what you will...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 24, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

That would be two very stubborn men trying to work together.

The only way that would work is if Vinny was gone, and Parcells could do whatever he wanted.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 24, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

flound, agreed, not that I'm saying I want this or anything, but in order for Parcells to even give this job a second thought is for him to have total control, he's not the type to let someone else buy the groceries....as he's stated before...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 24, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

That would be two very stubborn men trying to work together.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 24, 2009 8:30 AM

Still wouldn't work. Snyder is the one who wants his grubby mits all over the football operatons, Vinny being out won't change that. It's why Marty got canned and it's also why you'd never see the names "Cowher" or "Parcells" attached to the Redskins.

Plus Parcells has got to be weary of the whole meddlesome owner thing after working for Jerry Jones.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Vicc, you can argue the intent of your post all you want. Doesn't change the fact that it was incredibly stupid. I will say if you want to defend the thinking behind what you write, try to avoid using words like "pretendering." Made up words don't really lend any weight to your argument, especially when your argument is people misinterpreted your post.

Posted by: mack1 | September 24, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

brown, whats your take on Sunday's game, you had previously stated you thought the Redskins would lose, correct??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 24, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Put the smurfs on the bench in the red zone

Posted by: boysheadcoach | September 24, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

I agree but if you just have to have a smurf in the red zone make sure it's Moss in the slot. Moss can't make those plays on the sideline or the back of the end zone. He's too short. Let him play underneath and let the tall guys fight the sidelines and back of the end zone.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 24, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

The video from NFLN of JZ and JC really does explain a lot about what is going on with this team.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 24, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

I think that puttng S. Moss in the slot and having the big 2 at the end is the best thing I've heard since.... It makes no since that this blog can get it and the coaching staff can't! Larry Michael is the worst! We need the truth! Shine head B. Mitchell for president. Zorn, take notes please!

Posted by: liasdavis | September 24, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Nice link JM220. It gives me hope.

Posted by: mack1 | September 24, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

alex, care to elaborate for those of us without audio?

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | September 24, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Put Kelly & Mitchell in at the same time. Get some imagination please!!!

Posted by: brett4 | September 24, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Put Kelly and Mitchell in at the same time down in the red zone...get some imagination please!!

Posted by: brett4 | September 24, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

alex, care to elaborate for those of us without audio?

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | September 24, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Well Steinberg has a lot of the audio transcribed in his bog http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/09/nfl_films_does_zorn-campbell_r.html?wprss=dcsportsbog

But lets just say the sumbeling bumbeling version of Zorn we see on camera is not the one you see on the sideline. He is no cower no lombardi but he comes of as a much more competent coach then we seem to have made him to be in the last week.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 24, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Yeah Greg, it stands to reason that a team that can only score 9 on St. Louis at home won't have an easy time against Detroit on the road. And losing arguably their most important O-lineman for the season just made matters a thousand times worse. But with all the media firestorm around them from the Zorn/Sonny dustup to all the talking heads circling this date as the end of Detroit's losing streak, I think they could muster up enough to squeak past Detroit.

So basically, I'm not beating the "loss to Detroit" drum as loudly as I was Monday.

Hopefully, Zorn will rip off another classic gem from George Allen: "40 men together can't lose!"

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Nice link JM220. It gives me hope.

Posted by: mack1

I know it change my out look on Zorn a little. That maybe I coming down a little too hard. Some times it best to step back and look at things without the emotion.

Posted by: jm220 | September 24, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

lias,
you have to admit LM is comical in his spin zone, though. I love it when he sets up Vinny, Zorn, and the players with positive questions that aren't even questions. If you look closely you can even see the electric dog collar on Larry's neck.

Posted by: pgugino | September 24, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

not so sure about that, brown. This isn't a team that rises to the occasion. We sort of saw how that played out last year.

Posted by: pgugino | September 24, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Nice link JM220. It gives me hope.

Posted by: mack1

Posted by: jm220 | September 24, 2009 8:53 AM

Same here. Calm and confident were not what I was expecting.

Posted by: mack1 | September 24, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Some times it best to step back and look at things without the emotion.

Posted by: jm220 | September 24, 2009 8:53 AM

Thats what I told my GF after I bring up the idea of a 3-way. Didn't work.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 24, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Ummm, maybe they're not throwing jump balls to him 'cause he hasn't shown much ability to do that?! On the sideline nor in the end zone. Soup has problems w/ touch passes, too. So there's another factor.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 24, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Not a Campbell basher,

But can he throw the jump ball or fade? The jury is out......maybe Portis can!

Posted by: duh2mag | September 24, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

thanks alex...love NFL films.

Favorite one from last year was hearing cocky Romo say the Dallas O could "do whatever they wanted" on our D in the 1st meeting.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | September 24, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

REDSKINS RED ZONE RECIVERS
C.Cooley---6'3"
F.Davis---6'4"
M.Kelly---6'4"
D.Thomas---6'2"
M.Mitchell---6'4"

Looks like simple pitch and catch,so run the ball Zorn.

Posted by: gregblanchsucks | September 24, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

pgugino..

You are right. His favorite quote during preseason was..It's just preseason! Now, it's just game 2! Can't watch him no more. I get most of my news from you guys on here. At least I know that there are people that watch the game like I watch the game. I'm not a football guru but, I've played. All they need to do is follow what the champs are doing (New England, Pitt..etc.) They have some Vets but concentrate on Youth! Redskins, please stop selling us a dream! We wish every year.. and every year they do the same.. It's time for real change!!!!!

Posted by: liasdavis | September 24, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

campbell going to a pro ball with another team is good laugh seeing as how he can not adjust to another new system.

Posted by: rls1041 | September 24, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

No prob yodes, I would have done a transcript myself but its like 8 minutes long.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 24, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

But can he throw the jump ball or fade? The jury is out......maybe Portis can!

Posted by: duh2mag | September 24, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

I have yet to see Zorn call a jump/fade. usually if your gonna call it its a "first read" isn't it? So we have to wait and see if they call one.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 24, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

The link JM220 posted from NFLN Films was on Inside The NFL last night (not all of it) and I was very impressed with our team after seeing it.

Posted by: Lisa_R | September 24, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

I’m an avid follower of the RI but this is my first post.

Like many of you I watched that game last Sunday in absolute misery. Screaming at the TV and wondering if this team was ever going to move past average. I’m a redskin lifer and will root for them no matter what but I found myself asking what in the He!! was going on with this team.
That being said,
I recommend everyone head over to the link JM220 posted from www.redskins.com and check out the Video on QB tutelage. No matter what you thing of Redskins.com, Z man or JC17, watching that video gives a lot of great insight into what happens in the on the Sidelines. I think its produced by NFL Films. It was incredibly interesting to see what Zorn was thinking at the time he made of few of the calls. JC was really pis@ed at one play where Z called a play that had Santana open deep. I

The biggest thing that the clip showed me is just how little we can get from just watching the game as a fan. There is a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes. I’d love to see something like this for every game.

HTTR!

Posted by: psm2f | September 24, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Thats what I told my GF after I bring up the idea of a 3-way. Didn't work.

Posted by: alex35332

LMAO! Didn't work for me either. lol

Posted by: jm220 | September 24, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Lisa, agreed. I shed some but not all my criticism of Zorn. He looked much more competent on the film, but it's clearly awkward how nice he is even during the game.

Posted by: pgugino | September 24, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: johnwlux | September 24, 2009 6:46 AM | Report abuse
I like the concept, john. But there are issues with it. Is MM strong either enough or quick enough to break through the CB chuck. Apparently DThomas had problems with that on the play where the pass went through his hands. He was to cross all the way to the left, got hung up at the LOS. I have to admit that that pass was a tough catch to make, low and hard. But he got his hands on it, so he should catch it.

I really like MK's ability to snatch balls out of the air with his hands. I don't know/haven't seen DT and MM display this ability yet. So I am more in favor of playing MK in red zone. Put Moss in motion, have CC and MK, and CP and MS in backfield for either run, or blocking, or going into flat. MS doesn't have the hands to consistently snatch the ball out the air, but he can catch the softer pass.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 24, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

This coaching staff seems to very mistrusting of all most young players. Must be an age thing.

They need to throw to their big targets (Kelly & Mitchell) in the red zone to loosen things up. Heck, they dont even throw to Cooley down there! He had 6 TDs a year minimum his whole career, until Zorn showed up.

Posted by: Jason10 | September 24, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

te, saw your comments above....got me eye's on you.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 24, 2009 8:15 AM

Me? What did I do?

Brownwood -- You called it, dude. This guy is definitely the most aggressive badazz up here. I think he's only here to pick fights and get a good recipe for clam chowder. What do you think?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 24, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I am not a big fan of the Jump Ball in the end zone - at least, not unless you are desparate. If Randy Moss was the WR, then yeah, go for it. But we have not seen that skill level from Kelly yet.

I wonder what the percentage is for those kind of fade pattern jump balls?

I know the Rams did it against us, but they are a more desparate team. I mean, the Rams got beaten by a team that was unable to get a TD.... So they had to pull out the desperation jump ball tactic.

Bottom-line, Zorn/Campbell went to Thomas and Sellers, both big guys, and those 2 each dropped the TD. So, going to Kelly is a good idea, but let's stick with high percentage plays.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | September 24, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Thats what I told my GF after I bring up the idea of a 3-way. Didn't work.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 24, 2009 9:02 AM

....call a jump/fade.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 24, 2009 9:10 AM

Alex--Your mistake was calling it a "three way." If you'd call it a "jump/fade" she'd go for it. Same thing, different name.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 24, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Trouble with trying to toss it to Kelly is the question of who can throw it to him. JC is proven incapable of throwing downfield. ARE and CP are also highly suspect. To make this idea work, Skins would need to get another QB in there, and we all know that JZ would never allow that.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 24, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

While I very much want to see Kelly involved in the red zone, I also remember the "fade" route JC threw to him in the preseason. It was a line drive that hit Kelly in the back shoulder before he even had a chance to get any separation or even start to square up to JC for a jump ball. Maybe JC is incapable of throwing this pass since he hasn't done it his entire career to this point and they are working on it. Chase threw two to Marko that were beautiful, JC threw one to Kelly that was hideous. If JC can't throw it maybe they should have a "redcat formation" sorta like the wildcat except not, its just Collins comes in to the game once we're inside the 10 since he is capable of making the lightning fast reads and putting touch on passes unlike JC. Let JC play QB all game unless we're inside the 10 and then Collins, Kelly, Davis, Cooley, Sellers, and CP are on the field. Kelly out wide always as a fade or slant threat, two tight ends both or either can be passing threats, Sellers as a blocker or play action guy in the flats, CP as a runner only (hint here Zorny, no CP passes). This package would be pretty nasty equally dangerous passing or running, would keep defenses honest.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 24, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

OK, I'll admit I was a little hard on Zorn this week.

But on the bright side, I did just say "hard on." (insert Beavis and Butt Head snicker)

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 24, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Parcells looks like a decent GM so far, but without his main man Bill Belicheat he has not done jack Shti......

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 24, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 24, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

For real. By December it'll be "we've only had 10 games, just give us some patience, the offense is going to take off real soon! We have the best talent, just need some more time to jell..."

Give me a break. No more excuses.

Posted by: hithere1 | September 24, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Spread there d out with taller recevers,making the d double cover with eather a safty or a lb.Send Cooly in motion to drag the mlb to one side of the field. This will open a option to throw to a back or reciver or Cambell to run to the open side of the field vacated by the draging lb.

Posted by: gregblanchsucks | September 24, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 24, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

YOU SAID WHAT WE WERE ALL THINKING!.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 24, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Newcomer here....refugee from the Nats....so pessimism is already at a fever pitch! But God Bless Clinton Portis. He's made his share of boneheaded statements in the past, but in a league where bland comments are parsed for hidden meanings....well, this guy has heart.Too bad we've wasted his prime...but to hear the fans' frustrations acknowledged by one of its' grittier players....thanks,C.P. You got my vote for being a "real" 'Skin. Ah, well...at 50+ y.o.,and a native ...maybe the "Skins have returned to their historical mean.Outside of Gibbs 1 and George Allen, we've always been a mostly mediocre(or worse) bunch. And where in the past I would have jumped at the chance to take some tix off of my buddy to take my 15y.o. to a game at RFK....he's begging ME to take 'em! Gave up my season tix after one year at Raljon...it just ain't worth the headaches.Sorta like our Redskins-not that it's an addiction I'll ever break. Wow...have I made ANY sense in this post?(I think I did with C.P.)...a season following the Nots has clearly taken its toll. And now-on to the 4-skins!!!!!
I'm still saying 11-5!!(Had the Nots winning 84...I'm a hopeless optimist and homer, but like most true fans, I'll turn on my team in a vicious heartbeat!)
Hail to the (Red)Skins!

Posted by: zendo | September 24, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I wonder what the percentage is for those kind of fade pattern jump balls?

Posted by: Wemiss21 | September 24, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm not saying we even need to throw the fade but we do need the threat of throwing it. Watch the NFL.com lowlights of our red zone offense in action. Our WRs drew no coverage at all in the red zone. They put 1 CB between our WR and everybody else. They didn't even respect the threat of our WR catching the ball. The Rams defense just stacked up right in front of us because they knew we could only score in the front of the end zone between the hashes. We were jumbled up and they were stacked right in front of us. If you bring MK12 in there and MM on the other side you can at least give the illusion you are throwing the fade route and that alone should open up something for Cooley or Moss in the middle of the field. The tall guys may not get a ball thrown their way and that's fine. We just need them to spread the defense out.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 24, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

JC played an outstanding game last Sunday. But when your receivers drop footballs as much as ours do you cannot blame the QB. For those that really know football WR's need to catch wat is thrown. The Redskins problems are with pass catching and execution in the REDZONE not the QB. JC is our franchise QB, deal with it.

Posted by: classicskins | September 24, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

CP would be a hell of a lot more convincing if he walked the walk. But the man barely shows for practice -- and then blames others when he can't get it done on game day. And that's all too typical of the attitude pervading throughout this team -- they're content with losing because nobody gives a damn.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 24, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Agree totally w/ brownwood 26 & redcherokee. Redskin Nation show should change name to the Dan Snyder Spin Machine. I quit watching months ago because I got so sick of Larry Michaels & his drink the kool aid & if you question anything then your labeled a hater crap. I am a lifelong fan who prefers to live in reality. Reality is that Snyder, Ceratto & Zorn are not perfect like Michaels says they are. The "big 3" are the problems w/ team.

Posted by: skinhead62 | September 24, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

NFL films is awesome thats what NFL network should be showing, I would watch that kind of stuff.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 24, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

It is so frustrating as an outsider to see these statements. I am not a OC Guru, and they certainly know more than me. But it seems for him to be a threat, you gotta actually take some shots. Even if they dont work. Let the D know we may actrually try this!!

Posted by: Club320 | September 24, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Vicc, what exactly is the intellect based counter argument to "You are a bad fan if you are a husband/father"? You got the response you deserved.

I will watch that NFL Films things sometime I guess, but sue me if I would like to be "impressed by our team" by results on the actual field of play. Kooky I know.

That said, I think they wake up this week. And when they do the "it was only the Lions" line of argument won't hunt. For the Skins every week is a battle and the Lions are much improved. If the Skins can hang 24+ and W on them, I will be impressed.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 24, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

collins was showing you all of these skills while he was tossin picks in the preseason? yall can relive those old memories of collins glory year (2 crucial playoff picks) but he was crappy THIS summer.1 pick, no tds 58 qb rating. yeah guys i'm sure todd'll light it up

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 24, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I actually disagree that the video makes Zorn look good.

Most importantly, I think that whole crap about only trying to run in the red zone because of dropped passes is lame as hell. First, why are you trying to throw it so Sellers who is a blocking fullback and has terrible hands???

Also, of the newbie receivers, Kelly is supposed to have the best hands, so why is Thomas in there? And how is it possible that of all the trips to the red zone not once did you call a corner fade route to Kelly or Mitchell??? Oh, wait, let me guess...you tried a corner fade route in a preseason game and JC threw a bad pass. So if it doesn't work once you give up.

Sorry, Zorn makes horrible decisions and is in over his head. He seriously says that that running play to Portis was "our best play"??? Does he actually believe that BS?

Posted by: gringoinmiami | September 24, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Hey guys, check this out if you haven't seen it already. I am not sure what conclusions I draw from it but it is pretty interesting stuff....

Posted by: 44riggosranger44 | September 24, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

44riggosranger44,
we have been discussing it here, I think so far reaction is positive.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 24, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Okay, I swore I wouldn't do this, but I'm tired of everyone blaming Bush for our country's problems. It's kind of like blaming Zorn for all of the Redskins' problems. And now that jm220 has provided an interesting videoclip of "behind the scenes" stuff, we all seem to be backing off a little.

Posted by: RITCA | September 24, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: boysheadcoach

Your line up:
2 WR
2 TE
2 RB...
1 QB
5 linemen

Sum: 12 > 11

if the all caps didn't already give away your mental capacity, simple arithmetic did.

Posted by: NFeKPo | September 24, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Not sure if peeps saw this video via the bog, but JZ and JC in the game.
Video will calm you down.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 24, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

This is a good video, and it did calm me down Alex, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | September 24, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah that's right...let's wait till week 8 when it's almost too late to include him in the game plan....makes perfect sense...what was I thinking by wanting him involved early and often...mybad.

Posted by: kdofour2000 | September 24, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 24, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps you don't remember that Seattle game but he had Kerney and the rest of their dline in his jock strap all day and we still had win late in the fourth if Cooley doesn't drop a TD pass. Collins played well in that game. And I don't know what preseason you watched the first one he was 8 for 11 and the second (against the Steelers I might add) he moved the ball and was 5 for 9, the pick was a deflection not his fault. If he was so crappy why did we cut every other QB on the roster behind him?

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 24, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Sorry to nudge you guys while you're cream dreamin', but as fas as that video goes:

Blah...

They're mic'd up. You think Campbell is going to say to himself or Zorn: "WTF was that play-call all about, Coach?". You think Zorn is going to utter the words: "Good god, Jason sucks!"?

But whatever boost of confidence you all need to make you feel better, take it at your own discretion.

You know what will boost my damn confidence in this team? No, not some video snippet of the "Misunderstandings of Zorn/Campbell", but some TDs and some quality and quantity wins.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 24, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I came across this interesting article from the Seattle Times that broke down the amount of money that our Congressmen/women injected into the 2008 Defense Bill as earmarks. The Defense Bill is the largest amount of spending that our taxes go towards each year. In the 2008 Defense Bill, $9.5 billion was added to the bill as earmarks. I will point out that this is extra money that the military DID NOT ASK FOR, but was injected by congressmen/women to support 'projects' usually in their home state. I encourage you to click on the link below so you can see which congressman/woman had the most earmarks. While you're at it, look up Obama, Biden, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Christopher Dodd, and Joe Murtha. All of them high ranking Democrats that try to blame our problems on Bush. For the past two years, Democrats have controlled the House and Senate and look how they spent your money.

Posted by: RITCA | September 24, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Big ups to P.G. of the M in DMV.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 24, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

44riggosranger44,
we have been discussing it here, I think so far reaction is positive.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 24, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Yeah...after I posted it I did a little review and saw that. I am definitely backing off Zorn a bit. As a fan you lose touch with the speed with which everything is happening and the subtleties and nuances of the game. At the same time, the great coaches are the ones who grasp all of this and are able to see everything going on outside themselves and the overall picture. If nothing else, for me, this builds the case for why a little time to gain experience and time to master these things is warranted.

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy

Posted by: 44riggosranger44 | September 24, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

showtime.....got my popcorn...gonna watch this one get crazy....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 24, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

And what's with all this Betts-bashing? Remember when Clinton went down? 1,000 + yards? Betts is a good short yardage receiver too.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | September 23, 2009 10:31 PM

What has betts done for us lately.

Nothing, except collect a fat paycheck to sit on his ass. Betts needs to either earn his pay or leave and let the big boys play the game.

Posted by: ecale25 | September 24, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Well said, Red. I like the mic'd up stuff as much as anyone, but you have to realize that it's not a 100% reflection of what goes on out there. Just like "reality" TV...you know the cameras are there, so how "real" do you think people really are on those shows?

A blowout of the Lions will make everything better.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 24, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse
they cut the other guy (brennan is on the team just IR wink wink) because he wasn't better than tood or colt or jc. i have to wonder why todd collins gets credit for "moving the ball" but campbell doesn't (he moved the ball well in 1.5 of the past 2 games) and why is collins forgiven for his pick (the corner undercut DT11 on a square in rt i was at the game, i sit 11 rows back) and what makes him better at throwing tds than soup when he has not thrown any tds that i can think of lately.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 24, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

that video jm posted was an expanded version of what they had on inside the NFL last night. It was interesting for sure, I was glad to see some of JC's fire in the clip and while I get what Zorn was saying "run it since we can't catch" if the run doesn't work either you got switch back and also, while I get there were two dropped TDs, Sellers and Devin Thomas drops shouldn't mean we abandon the pass down there, try maybe throwing it to some of you best pass catchers not your worst and see what happens then? Maybe? Lastly, while I still totally disagree with the call for going for it on 4th and 1 there, the failure to get the 1st is totally on Clinton, he needed one yard and if you watch the clip all he had to do was follow Sellers into the hole and he has it easily!!! for some reason he cut it outside and got stretched out and stuffed, that one was on CP.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 24, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Give me a break. No more excuses.

Posted by: hithere1 | September 24, 2009 9:35 AM

"Excuses" is just such a loaded term. You should think of them as "explanations." And RI is the mother of all explanations.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 24, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

"As 4U chrislarry"
Posted by: Vicc | September 24, 2009 7:00 AM | Report abuse

This must be a typo, Vicc. I think you meant..."As fU chrislarry"

Posted by: frediefritz | September 24, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I see we're back on the "Collins is the savior" tip again.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 24, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RITCA | September 24, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

You are of course right, but may not know it, the problems with both are institutional.

Granted both Zorn and Bush were not qualified to take the jobs when they got them. It is foolish to blame them both for everything.

Zorn and the Redskins will never be successful with out the team updating its way of thinking, getting a better owner who is responsive to his fans. Regardless of coaching quality, as long as the bottom line for the franchise is money, not fan loyalty, team history or some greater and immortal view of the inarguable good in the world, we will come out short.

Similarly our nation is never going to survive on an outdated system of government and economic model that was designed for the 18th century.

Regardless of the quality of elected officials, the corrupting forces of greed will triumph over the common good, they always have, but now do so faster thanks to technology and our inability to addapt. Until both our government design and financial system are updated to deal with the way things are in the 21st century they will continue to faultier and effect the day to day lives of the common people for the worse.

And there ends Alex's patented BS rant on sports and politics for the day, further proof that I am your ULTIMATE WASHINGTONIAN. :-)

Posted by: alex35332 | September 24, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RITCA | September 24, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Get this crappola outta here, we have enough concerns about our offense clicking with out bringing this worthless siht up.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | September 24, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

What has betts done for us lately.
Posted by: ecale25 | September 24, 2009 10:02 AM

Just like the rest of the BACKUPS. Should they get rid of all of the backups because they haven’t made any highlights either? Betts is on the roster for insurance, plus they claim (like usual) they are using him more this year. And he actually does not have a huge contract. Ran a nice screen last week if I remember correctly...

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 24, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | September 23, 2009 10:31 PM

Dude, that was THREE YEARS AGO. An eternity in the NFL, where the avergage career is something like 4 or 5 years. Like it or not, this is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league.

Posted by: rbpalmer | September 24, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

yeh, I'd like some 'beeps' in that dialogue somewhere, yakno?

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 24, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, well RITCA, we all feel a little better after seeing the behind the scenes stuff on Zorn; I guarantee you that if we got a behind the scenes look at the Bush Administration, we wouldn't feel a bit better.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 24, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | September 23, 2009 10:31 PM

What has betts done for us lately.

Posted by: ecale25 | September 24, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

the only drawback to betts production while portis was gone is that it was just that; production while portis was gone. since then the skins haven't been able to create the right balance to utilize betts the most. i think he needs to be a starter or at least a heavy rotation guy. i don't think he can do well with 20% of the carries or less. he needs like 35-40% of the carries to be effective IMHO. i dunno i just think we should move him because he's not a change of pace and he'll never challenge clint for his job (i think they're the same age). it's not so much that betts is a bad player, but as good as he may be, we as skins fans never see it because unless clint gets hurt betts will only see limited carries. move'em and a late rd pick for a 3rd rounder.

btw betts or cartwright has to go before week 6 we're carrying 6 backs right now seems like RC cola is the odd man out.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 24, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2009 10:03 AM

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 24, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Betts has two of the longest plays in both games so far, and both have gone for 1st downs. He's much crisper in his routes than any other RB, and he's by FAR the smoothest receiver out of the group (both statements subject to change with Anthony Aldridge). We don't utilize Betts enough, especially in passing situations.

Posted by: psps23 | September 24, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Betts needs to either earn his pay or leave and let the big boys play the game.

Posted by: ecale25 | September 24, 2009 10:02 AM

I'm sorry, I seem to recall Betts having a pretty key 25 yard screen play that set up one of the team's FGs. I'm pretty sure he earned his check that day.

He's not Portis...he's not gonna check himself into the game and call his own number. This team has underutilized him for years and you can't blame him for that.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

"Dude I don't get where you come from with some of SJK you say. This is an awful analogy. Reality TV is scripted and produced. I'm as cynical as anybody but do you really think these men are "acting" during the heat of a real sports competition? Really?

Posted by: learnedhand1"

I was going to put that out there, but thank you for beating me to the punch.

Posted by: psps23 | September 24, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

John D,

We did get a few behind the scenes of the bush Administration, and I am not going to take a cheep shot about all the torture stuff or Abugrab.

But the book that just came out by Bush's speech writer, about how George never understood anything about the economy collapsing or the books written way back by Woodward when about how 5 minutes after the 9/11 attack Dick and Rummy were trying to pin it on Sadam so they could go into Iraq. I think those were much more telling on what went wrong.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 24, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Who should I start this week in FF Aaron Rogers or Philip Rivers?

Posted by: TWISI | September 24, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 24, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps the reason was that a safety was coming into the hole to decleat him? The Rams overloaded that side of the defense there was a Ram in the A and B gap. He had no where to go. He looked into the A gap saw the safety and tried to bounce out to the B gap but there was a guy there too. It was a bad play call. It should have been audibled to something on the right side since they were very light over there. The play was doomed from the beginning. A JC bootleg would have walked right into the end zone.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 24, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 24, 2009 10:11 AM

I should have videotaped the time when my kids got to play T-Ball on the White House lawn. The President sat there, with Cal Ripken, Junior, and watched every kid bat. Then he shook hands with every kid, personally, gave them an autographed ball and sent them a picture from the photo op. If this behind the scenes look wouldn't have made you feel better about the Bush's Administration, you're a hard man, JohnDinHouston.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 24, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Hey RITCA there is another WaPo blog you might enjoy with your dive-by political observations and quasi sports/political metaphors:

Posted by: chrislarry | September 24, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rbpalmer | September 24, 2009 10:09 AM

No not the league; coaches and GM’s are smarter than that. But there are a lot of idiot what-have-you-done-for-me-lately fans out there who lack patience. I guess they should have gotten rid of Chad Rinehart too, because shoot, he hasn’t even been active for any games. What a waste of roster space. Oh wait; the starter went down and now we need him…..there’s a reason why there are 53 men on the roster, not just 22.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 24, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Alex, great post. Probably one of the "best" political rants ever posted on RI.

JohnD, I'm sure we wouldn't feel better, but I'd venture to say the same thing about Obama's administration.

I don't like making political posts on a sports blog either, but just balancing brownwood's slanted remarks in an earlier comment: "If I have to listen to the nauseatingly positive fans that can see the good in 0-16 and your Republican buddies who like to dream up new and ridiculous ways to defame our president."

Blame both the Republicans and the Democrats. Blame the players, the coach, the GM, and the owner.

Posted by: RITCA | September 24, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: boysheadcoach | September 24, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Either you get a penalty for 12 men on the field, or you don't have a QB. Either way, I don't think this formation will work.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 24, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

blame Canada!

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 24, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

blame it on the rain!

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 24, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Must....refrain...from...political...ranting...Ah, there, the temptation has passed. Whew, I didn't think I was going to be able to resist it.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 24, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Alex, great post. Probably one of the "best" political rants ever posted on RI.

Posted by: RITCA | September 24, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

When you can trace back your political ancestry over 1,070+ years, you tend to pick up on a few things.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 24, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

blame it on a sad song!

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 24, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, blame it on me!

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 24, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

RITCA, maybe so, and I agree with you about politicians being politicians regardless of the party, but don't you think that 8 months into the administration is just a shade too early to really be making sweeping pronouncements?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 24, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

cL,

Thanks, but no thanks. It's FOOTBALL season. Not trying to get on a political soapbox.

Posted by: RITCA | September 24, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Call me silly.

By Jason Reid | September 24, 2009; 6:00 AM ET

-----------

Silly Mayor!

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 24, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 24, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Do you come to this blog often?

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 24, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1"
======================

Acting might be a bit of a stretch and come with connotations that aren't accurate. I think what he's saying is, since he knows he's mic'd up, he's probably not going to say or do anything overly stupid. He might act differently if he wasn't mic'd up, that's the point.

That said I think the good things we see in that video don't make sense in the context of "only b/c he's mic'd up". I think he's probably like that all the time - probably supportive of players when appropriate and so on. The only change is, maybe he curses and yells more when not mic'd up. But golly-garsh-darn-it, I don't think so.

Posted by: REXskins | September 24, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 24, 2009 10:15 AM

Dude, whether you like the analogy or not, read what I said: "I like the mic'd up stuff as much as anyone, but you have to realize that it's not a 100% reflection of what goes on out there."

So nowhere in there did I say it was scripted. I just said you're not getting 100% of what you would if the mics weren't on. I guarantee they hold back certain things and watch some of what they say when mic'd up.

Maybe this analogy is better: if you're anything like me, you watch what you say in front of your mother or grandmother. You don't curse or talk crass. You still show your personality, but you do so under guard of your choice of words (for the most part). Same thing here: this stuff is recorded and used later. Do you really think these guys aren't aware of that and don't account for that in the things they say during the course of the game?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Etrod - sometimes I forget...actually, my political comment was a clever way to segue into - maybe it's a little too early to start judging these Redskins, too.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 24, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Even though Devin Thomas dropped that td(his fault) the pass should've never went to him in the first place...ARE was wide open on the other side of the endzone....JC didn't see him...or should I say make the right read...he threw to the guy that was covered instead of the open area.

Posted by: kdofour2000 | September 24, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I suggest all of the Jim Zen bashers navigate to redskins.com. There they will find a compelling behind the scenes look at the HC and his QB during live action against the Rams.

It's a somewhat redeeming picture...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 24, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

te, saw your comments above....got me eye's on you.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 24, 2009 8:15 AM

Me? What did I do?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 24, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Funny SJK, guys!

Posted by: frediefritz | September 24, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I hope they never mic me up coaching my daughters softball team, because i'm harder on my players then Zorn is.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 24, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 24, 2009 10:15 A

One was on a broken play. There has been no consistency yet....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 24, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 24, 2009 10:18 AM

I hope you're really not that shortsighted as to think that just because dude had a pleasant photo op with your kid that it somehow makes his professional failings OK...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 24, 2009 10:31 AM

-----------

Has this been helpful?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 24, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

"One was on a broken play. There has been no consistency yet....

Posted by: 4thFloor"

Broken plays happen. That's what RBs are there for. And both plays were almost all YAC. That's a very good thing from a RB.

Posted by: psps23 | September 24, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I wonder what the percentage is for those kind of fade pattern jump balls?

Posted by: Wemiss21 | September 24, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I do agree with you, Wemiss21. But RMoss is 6-4, 210#, so MKelly is same size, but should be stronger. And I have seen him use his hands to catch the ball, much like RMoss. But I would prefer the slant to the lob. Balls arrives sooner, less chance of a pick.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 24, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

And I hope that you're really not that shortsighted as to think that just because your dude looks stoic behind a podium and has a nice photo op with his wife, kids, and dog that it makes his administration any more professional or better.

Posted by: RITCA | September 24, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Has this been helpful?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 24, 2009 10:34 AM |

Sure has I have a bunch of 10 and 11 year olds doing very well against 12 and 13 year olds.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 24, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

well, now that we know that we are all not shortsighted, let's carry on, shall we?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 24, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

errrr, I meant to say that just because your head coach is mic'd up and sounds good, doesn't mean that he should be forgiven for not being able to score TD's.

Posted by: RITCA | September 24, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RITCA | September 24, 2009 10:37 AM

I'm not. But he's been in office 8 months. Bush had 8 years. Just sayin'...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Cool, Flounder.

Whatever works.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 24, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

brownie,

Out of respect for all of the other posters up here. I'll keep the politics out of my posts, if you agree to do the same.

What do ya say?

Posted by: RITCA | September 24, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I would have felt more comfortable about the video if Zoron didn't use so much lube.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 24, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Looks my pick is doing well so far....

Just sayin..

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 24, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Cool, Flounder.

Whatever works.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 24, 2009 10:40 AM |

Chia,

I'm not trying to say I yell and cuss at them, but they know who is in charge and they know they do what there told.

You can't have success at any level of sports, without the coach having full control of the team.

If the players don't respect the coach then they will not play hard for him/her.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 24, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Agreed, RITCA. I hate politics anyway.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

The video was very cool. A couple things:

* I liked Zorn's demeanor in tough situations. He may not impress as a play caller, but he showed himself to be a level headed leader, not a panicker.

* Zorn holds the play sheet way too far from his mouth on play calls.

* I'm not sure I agree with his decision to abandon the pass in the red zone because of dropped balls, but the video gives me an idea of his thought process. The pass WAS working between the 20's, though. The ball doesn't change shape or catch fire in the red zone.

* I'm not sure I understand Spags' comment at the end. What did he appreciate? That we kneeled on the ball? Trying to punch the ball in for style points would be about the dumbest thing you could do in that situation. I think any coach would have called for victory formation in that situation.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 24, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Rookie with impact
“He’s a good player, a great athlete and a big guy that runs and hits. When he hits people, they feel it,” Ryans said.

It is easy to forget that Cushing has played in only two games. The first-round draft pick from Southern Cal didn’t even play in the preseason because of a knee injury.

You try not to get overly excited about rookies, but one can’t help but be thrilled with what Cushing has done thus far. He has led the team in tackles in each of the first two games, doling out bone-jarring hits that Texans fans aren’t accustomed to seeing from anyone not wearing No. 59 (Ryans’ number).

“He’s a rookie. No training camp and two starts in the NFL, and he’s made some mistakes. But boy, he’s made some big plays,” Texans head coach Gary Kubiak said of his new strongside backer. “He seems to play his best football when the game is on the line.”

That might be the key thing Cushing brings to this defense. He seems to thrive on the pressure and prides himself on being a playmaker.

You cannot have too many playmakers, but you can not have enough, which has been the Texans’ problem since they joined the league. Cushing has already made enough plays that Ryans says he doesn’t feel the pressure to do it all himself.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 24, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

LH1- see post below of RedDMV's.. that's what brownwood26 was referring to.

***

Blah...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 24, 2009 9:53 AM

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 24, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator

Hey, why don't YOU try living in Boston and not having a miserable disposition? Can't be done. i've tried. Three times. It turned me so nasty I'm only now (partly) recovering.

Posted by: TheCork | September 24, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

True, Flounder, but I'm not sure the Redskins don't respect their HC.

Respect can earned in a variety of ways.

Overall, my impression of seeing the clips of the coach at work against the Rams is that he is asserting himself.

and on the 4th down sweep to Portis, he appears to have a significant opening early in the play progression. If CP cuts back inside, he has a very good chance on that play.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 24, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I asked myself that same question, Ken. Spags "appreciated" the kneeldown? What the hell else were we gonna do--try to punch it in again? And how awful would that have looked if we didn't?

Posted by: pgugino | September 24, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Only problem I have with Zorn was that he explicitly abandoned the pass after the two dropped balls. I think you have to keep doing it until you get it right. What if the Steelers had abandoned the pass? They wouldn't have won the Superbowl.

Posted by: Salinas1 | September 24, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

never thought I'd say this, but thanks for understanding corky.......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 24, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Ken don't understand Spagnulo's post game comment to Jim Zen either.

but he seems to be saying that the game was competitive and hard fought, much like one would expect from two NFC East rivals.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 24, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 24, 2009 10:46 AM

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I figure he meant either the kneel down at the end or going for it on 4th down a bunch of times and giving his team a chance to force a turnover.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for tip, good eye 4th...I just nabbed cushing in both my FF IDP leagues.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 24, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

And speaking of the end of the game...how did we end up on the 10yd line? Didn't the Rams have like 4th down on the 3? Did anyone else see this?

Posted by: RITCA | September 24, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

The Giants, Cowboys, and Eagles have all gotten their young receivers (even the rookies) involved. Eli, Donovan, and Romo depend on these young guys to make plays. Why can't the skins do the same? This is very perplexing.

Posted by: postwell | September 24, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Wow...did anyone else see this? From PFT:

ESPN, Patriots create an obvious conflict of interest
Posted by Mike Florio on September 24, 2009 9:52 AM ET
Maybe ESPN wants to be criticized.

That's the only explanation we can identify in the wake of the bizarre news from SportsBusiness Daily that ESPN has hired Kraft Sports Group to sell local advertising for the fledgling ESPNBoston.com.

That's Kraft Sports Group. As in Robert Kraft. As in the owner of the New England Patriots.

Even more amazing is that the SBD report from John Ourand and Daniel Kaplan doesn't even bat an eye at one of the most blatant and obvious conflicts of interest we ever have seen.

This is well beyond, in our view, the placement of a CBS-themed restaurant at Patriot Place, which has raised some talk of a conflict of interest between the Pats and the network that televises the Sunday afternoon AFC package of games.

This is a sports news outlet entering into a significant business partnership with one of the handful of teams that will be covered by the ESPNBoston.com site.

It's surreal, frankly.

That said, the new civil suit against Tom Brady, which gives new meaning to the term "shotgun wedding," has been addressed at ESPNBoston.com. But there's not a single mention of the serious claims made against one of the top quarterbacks in the league on the mother ship's mother site -- not even on the supposedly ESPN.com AFC East blog.

It's almost as if a conscious decision has been made to slip the thing onto the Boston-focused arm of ESPN.com, without exposing the broader audience to the news.

Regardless of whether ESPN.com huddled with one or more members of the Kraft group to craft a strategy for mentioning the Brady lawsuit on a scaled-down basis to avoid the kind of criticism that ESPN experienced for keeping its head buried in casino chips as to the civil lawsuit against Ben Roethlisberger, the business relationship between ESPN and the group that owns an NFL team invites such scrutiny.

So, from this point forward, every thing said or written by ESPN about the Patriots needs to be considered in light of this relationship.

Meanwhile, we'll wait to see what Don Ohlmeyer has to say about this one in the monthly ombudsman column that still ends up buried at the bottom of the alphabet junkyard.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I'll send you my invoice in the mail...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 24, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

This Coaching staff is a joke....

Posted by: 911turbo | September 24, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Where is the toolio, shaunsherman12 this morning?

I feel like I need a reprimand for being a horrible fan.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 24, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

ever see the pats slot receiver drive defenses nuts?

ABout MOSS in the SLOT

To me the best indicator that Zorn is in over his head as an NFL had coach w/o ANY playcalling or OC experience in the Big Show: In the game against the Giants they shut down Santana Moss. It helped grind the 'skins offense to a halt.

What did Zone do to counter that?

You tell me.

He never slotted him or stacked him or put him in motion. Sure, the NEXT WEEK we saw that, but NFL football is about in-game adjustments.

No one was better doing that at half time than Gibbs 1.0.

A HC has SO MUCH on his plate, he practically needs ADD to be able to handle the chaos. Zorn unfortunately can't (yet). He needs seasoning. If he were a major league ballplayer he'd be sent down for a sting in the minors.

No equivalent of that in the NFL. So he'll either learn very very fast or go bye-bye and probably re-emerge as a pro HC with experience and skills.

Peope love to throw the term "hatee" around here at those who disagree. I'm NOT a Zorn hater. But the dude flat is over his head today, in an impossible situation.

Posted by: TheCork | September 24, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RITCA | September 24, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Someone said yesterday that the Redskins got a delay of game penalty.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 24, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork

I can empathize, I lived there for 2 years and was ebullient to leave. Getting used to not honking at everyone, and being a general dick just because everyone else is a general dick, is a hard transition.

Though I will say the no-smoking bars are awesome and by far what I miss most about the place.

Posted by: REXskins | September 24, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Salinas, I agree. The pass was working between the 20s. A couple dropped passes shouldn't deter you from passing in the redzone. Cooley and Kelly should be top targets, regardless of what the defense expects. Most teams can go with the same plays down there b/c they're just really good at it, despite the defense knowing what's coming.

Posted by: pgugino | September 24, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 24, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

creep, creep

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 24, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 24, 2009 10:50 AM

That's what I thought, too. Had wondered why he didn't. He usually does that but not now. That's puzzling. At first, I thought he was being obtuse, ignoring the opening for the sake of following the exact script of Zorn's play design. Now I think he's just trying to be a team player by trusting his blockers to do the job. I'm sure Portis saw this part of the film already and swore to himself he will cut inside next time regardless.

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 24, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

i was wondering the same thing about the ball spot.

second
Who should I start this week in FF Aaron Rogers or Philip Rivers?

Posted by: TWISI | September 24, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

i'm going with rodgers this week, but idon't have rivers to compare him to. i just think rodgers is less turnover prone and has a worse running game so he'll have to chuck it a lil bit. don't give up on him yet for the lower than last year numbers.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 24, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Alex, great post. Probably one of the "best" political rants ever posted on RI.

Posted by: RITCA | September 24, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Good posts, Alex and RITCA. Yes, neither party is pure in this fight. And what president is fully trained when he enters office. Look and Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton. Probably the most qualified lately was George the Elder.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 24, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

ESPN?

What an f-ing joke. A few years back I couldn't understand why all the hate on ESPN.

Now it's obvious, they're front runners. Report everything with either a positive or negative slant depending on how it works for them and their "target markets".

ESPN's bj list:

Boston Red Sox
LA Dodgers
Chicago Cubs
New York Mets
Albert Pujols
Alex Rodriguez

Some of those are probably justified. But c'mon, the Cowboys, the Cubs? What have they done the last 10 or 100 years?

Posted by: RedDMV | September 24, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Just pulled some stats that look interesting after Week 2 on the Offensive Line (OL) including all 32 NFL teams:

Overall OL Rank - 23 (bottom tier)
Power Running Rank - 12 (reason to run in the Red Zone?)
10+ Yard Runs Rank - 16 (middle of the pack)
Run Stuffed at Line Rank - 16 (midlin fair)
Pass Protection Rank - 25 (bottom tier)
Runs to the Left - 57%
Runs up the Gut - 29%
Runs to the Right - 14%

Adjusted Line Yards
Around Left End - 3.00 (Rank 20th)
Over Left Guard - 4.45 (Rank 15th)
Over Center - 3.32 (Rank 21st)
Over Right Guard - 3.16 (Rank 21st)
Around Right End - 2.13 (Rank 25th)

Overall Offensive Rank - 20 (last week 17th)
Passing Offense Rank - 21
Running Offense Rank - 15

The numbers tell the tale. Zorn leans on the run because his aerial assault is not as reliable. And he runs to the left because the right and middle are non-productive.

Interestingly, JC17 ranks 14th amongst all QBs in passing, and ranks 3rd for his running. His best receivers, ARE & MK, rank 17th & 45th and his worst, SMoss, ranks 78th out of 81 receivers. The lack of confidence that Zorn seems to be expressing in the passing attack is based on his line's inability to protect the passer and his receivers' inability to gain separation and produce yards after the catch.

Food for thought.

Posted by: skinssox01 | September 24, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

24-7 SKINS. We've got the Lions number. 2 redzone TDs.

Posted by: VegasJim | September 24, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

J Reid
-------------

Because coach Zorn has some heavy preconcieved notions in his brain! He has become a legend in his own mind and is calling plays based on what little people floating around his desk top tell him.

Advice to coach Zorn: whatever you think is the right thing to do, just do the opposite!

Posted by: Peaceful2009 | September 24, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Just watched the clip. Halfback pass was still a stupid call, that ONE is still on JZ. JC was PISSED at DT and Sellers for dropping TDs... and all it takes is one guy to blow his assignment(Montgomery on the planned Moss bomb) to ruin a play.

CP DID have the first down on the 4th down play, he almost seemed to back away from the first down to bounce it outside. He HAD IT.

This team has no margin for error. Intelligent, disciplined, professional play
by all 45 and the the staff will clearly create victories. Stupid, lackadaisical error filled play will allow us to PERHAPS squeak by the league dregs and have us in another 4-5 day tizzy.

Now, we see if the team has any character after their inability to make professional plays has lead to their HC and QB getting lambasted way more than they deserve.

ps Anybody else wondering if JC pumping CP while in the field stand around in a loose huddle waiting for the refs to blow the whistle to begin activities after the TV time out was a big clue to the Rams that CP was gonna get the rock? Loose lips sink ships. Of course if I'm the Rams, its not a shock that CP gets it on 4th and less than a yard, but anybody on their D watching the body language would have easy confirmation. Just sayin'.

PPS DT11 is still too stupid, lazy or undisciplined to play pro football. MM NOW!

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 24, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

the reason they didn't go to kelly is because he couldn't get off the line of scrimmage on at least two of those goal line passes. So please stop criticizing when you don't know what you are talking about.

and as SkinsfaninKanoeohe mentioned Portis did have the 1st down on the 4th down carry. I think he wanted to get the TD and thought he could get it by bouncing it outside. You can hear them on the nfl films clip saying something about, we can end the game with a first down, but lets get a touchdown.

Posted by: tedunni1 | September 24, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Jason you are quickly becoming the voice of the uninformed and too emotional fan. First the Zorn needs to "unleash" JC nonsense when history shows Gibbs and Saunders couldn't get JC to throw downfield either. And now this:

JC throws a terrible fade. Zorn called fades to Kelly twice in preseason and both throws from JC were not pretty at all. And I know you've been at camp and seen the same thing.

Zorn is not an idiot. The fade is not a staple in the red zone because JC doesn't throw it well -- it's that simple.

Posted by: MylesMonroe | September 24, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

As I read all of the various posts here concerning our team I can't help but feel sad about the way things used to be.....it wasn't "are we going to the playoffs but how far will we go"....now it's just painful when football season rolls around.
That's why it pains me to feel the most "un-redskin fan" feeling which is - I want this team to lose.
Every game, not just this week but every game they play. That is the only way we can get the change we need around here. Snyder cannot keep Cerrato around he the players HE drafted fail miserably. Zorn cannot get the job done, he is not HC material. I think Campbell can be a good QB but we can't keep waiting and I see losing him as collateral damage as we jettison the rest of the dead weight.
This team stinks of 8-8; that puts us in a go-nowhere spot as far as the draft, free agents, etc. We need to get really bad and PRAY Snyder finally comes to his senses and hires a football guy with brains, who will then bring us a solid coach. I'll take one of the big name guys if their cache demands that they can make personell choices.
Who drafts 3 receivers with 2nd round picks when you need OL and DL help? Who goes 10 YEARS without drafting an OL in the top 2 rounds (Jansen and Samuels worked out pretty good in 99' and 00' - why'd we get away from that philosophy?).
It pains me to say this but I hope this teams loses and keeps losing until the owner HAS TO MAKE A CHANGE.
Here's what I see for next year - teams finishes 8-8, drafts in the middle but the new coach wants a new QB; Snyder trades into the top 5 by giving up the farm for a Bradford/McCoy/Snead and then we PRAY TO GOD that doesn't turn into a SHULER/RAMSEY/CAMPBELL F*ckup which screws us for another 5 years.
I know there are those that will call me a bad fan and I respect those opinions but I've been a loyal fan since 1971 and it kills me that we are a laughing stock.
This used to be a proud franchise, just a giggle to the rest of the league now......Baltimore is laughing as ut.
I welcome your feedback.

Posted by: DEskinzfan | September 24, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

gregblanchsucks suggested:
REDSKINS RED ZONE RECEIVERS
C.Cooley---6'3"
F.Davis---6'4"
M.Kelly---6'4"
D.Thomas---6'2"
M.Mitchell---6'4"
CJ Hutch also suggested this on Hogs Haven.
He also suggested JUMBO on those short yardage plays. How about an unbalanced line with Haynesworth next to Mike Williams.

Posted by: fwroy | September 24, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Zorn II = Bush II

(just kidding.)

We should have maybe put Zorn in the White House and Bush in charge of play calling.

Ironically, something tells me this switch would have actually worked out for the best - What we call a "win/win" for DC natives.

That's it! I got it! You know which front man is out there right now?!

Coach Dick Cheney. Coach Vader!

Posted by: Thinker_ | September 25, 2009 4:30 AM | Report abuse