Williams Likely to Be in O-Line Mix Sept. 13

I tend to review and answer my email late at night when Joshua and Maya are asleep, and I spent a lot of time Tuesday responding to your questions/concerns about Big Mike Williams.

Several readers think I have written about Williams as if he has already made the 53-man roster, and a few wrote that I had effectively declared Williams a potential candidate to start during one of my recent appearances on "Washington Post Live with Ivan Carter" on Comcast SportsNet. (Note to self: Be careful what you say on TV.)

As for my take on Williams, I definitely think he is on the team. I also expect journeyman guard-tackle Jeremy Bridges, second-year guard Chad Rinehart and guard-center Will Montgomery to open the season on the roster.

Although Williams struggled in pass protection in camp, has sat out practice because of an abdominal strain and low-ankle sprain and has not played in a regular-season game since 2005, I believe he will be with the Redskins when they open the season Sept. 13 against the New York Giants at Giants Stadium.

The Redskins have put a lot of resources and energy into helping Williams lose weight (111 pounds at last count) and trying to regain his footwork, technique and timing. His comeback bid could hardly be defined as a success at this point, but he has worked hard and the Redskins hope that he can contribute this season.

And given the Redskins' offensive line situation, I expect they will need an in-season boost from someone at some point. I'm sure many of you loyal Redskins Insider readers were excited about offensive line coach Joe Bugel's upbeat assessment of the first-team unit in a recent post by Barry Svrluga.

"The first team's been really good," Bugel said. "They're molding together. They've got great chemistry. If we can keep that bunch healthy, I think we'll have a very, very good offensive line. That first group is communicating together. They have a great respect for each other. I'm real proud of them."

Uh, "keep that bunch healthy?"

The coaching staff has acknowledged that Pro Bowl left tackle Chris Samuels - the Redskins' top lineman - and right guard Randy Thomas - arguably No. 2 when physically sound - will have to be "managed" all season because of concerns about their knees after offseason surgery. I agree with Bugel's assessment that the line has performed well through two preseason games, and the adjustments the coaching staff made in the protection schemes and the new "protection rules" that were implemented in the offseason seem to have had a positive effect.

Of course, the first-team offense has played only five series spanning two games. Quarterback Jason Campbell is expected to lead the starters for at least the first half Friday night against the New England Patriots at FedEx Field, so that should provide a better indicator of things. For me, however, it's not about a handful of series, an entire preseason half or even one regular-season game against a formidable defensive front like the one they'll face Sept. 13.

It's about getting through a 16-game schedule with, essentially, the same line that faltered in pass protection in the second half last season and was determined to be, internally, the team's biggest deficiency. Perhaps Stephon Heyer, as Bugel says, has truly developed into a "legit tackle," who could also potentially be an effective replacement for Samuels on the left side if needed. Maybe Thomas's knee will hold up for most of the season and Rinehart is ready to provide effective relief for long stretches.
But despite all of Bugel's positive spin, I have my doubts. One member of the organization told me he expects Williams to be a starter by Week 4. I don't know about that one, either.

What I do strongly believe, however, is that Jim Zorn's continued tenure as the coach of this team is tied to this unit's performance over the long haul of the season, once the curtain rises for real Sept. 13.

Not to Be Confused with Jack Daniels ...

It seems there has been some confusion over Chase Daniel's last name. Dan Steinberg, who's going to get special tutoring from Fred Smoot, settles the matter.

By Jason Reid  |  August 26, 2009; 12:06 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kelly vs. Thomas: Your Take
Next: Blache Gives Wilson High Marks

Comments

This just in Scooby Doo and Shaggy have just revealed that HIRE_MARTY is actually JLC posting from the NFL network.

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 26, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Big Mike Williams is a starter by week 4? Who in the organization actually believes that? The man is improving and has shown that he is willing to work his tail off to improve... but he is simply not ready yet. If were lucky he will be a player next year, fighting for a spot at RT, after we move Heyer to left... but even that I don't really see happening... Nice story but hes just not going to make it.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 26, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

shhhhh...do not mention he who cannot be mentioned.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 26, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

IMO a very good article on the Jason Campbell debate by John Keim. Keim is one of my favorite beat writers.

Posted by: TWISI | August 26, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | August 26, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Next years line will be

LT- Heyer
LG- Dockery
C- Mike Williams
RG- Rhinehart
RT- Samuels

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 26, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I have confidence in Joe's assessment, He's been teaching O-Line since God's creation of Adam, I wonder why some doubt his capability to create a formidable line, just like the days of the Hogs.

Posted by: abxinc | August 26, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

TWISI... I'd say an interesting article... nice post. I have to agree with that assessment by Keim, however I would say that it is not really fair to say that Campbell can't succeed when parts around him fail. I want to see any qb play well when his line is as bad as ours was last year, when your wrs drop half the passes you throw to them and your running game is almost non existent. You expect more than Campbell gave us... but to say he should excel in that situation is downright stupid.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 26, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes fairy tales do come true, but not this time. He's got to get on the field to prove ANYTHING, something he's not done up to this point. Get up off the man, and give his body time to adjust by putting him on the practice squad. Being continually injured does the organization no good, and is personally a diservice to MIKE.

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 26, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Thanks TWISI. That is pretty much what I said yesterday.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 26, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Can he even be on the practice squad? Think he might have to many seasons to be eligible for it... but I'm not sure... he did sit out a number of years so maybe hes still young enough.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 26, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Redskin Insider, Redskin Insider
By Jason Reid, the Back Stabber

I have the dirt, daily at Ashburn
I aim to expose, 'round every turn

When everything is, all good and dandy
A few lies will come, definitely handy

I have no need, to report the truth
My paycheck is, going off the roof

My integrity? well I root for Cowgirls
Stabbing the 'skins, who the hell cares?

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 26, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Not a strong tackle... not a solid NFL tackle... but a "legit tackle."

The phrase "damned with faint praise" comes to mind.

Posted by: Alan4 | August 26, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

JReid,
Any chance the Skins are in contact with Levi Jones or Jon Runyan's agent? Either one would provide some good tackle depth.

I feel pretty good with our backup C/G situation with Will Montgomery (C), and Jeremy Bridges, Chad Rinehart, and Edwin Williams (G). BMW is a pretty good Run Blocker (can he consistently get to the 2nd level though?) but like Jansen in pass-pro. Too scary for our QB. Maybe next season. We need some help at backup OT.

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha | August 26, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Bugel is almost always upbeat and positive. He was that way about Jansen up until a week before he was cut. The guy is a great coach, but he has limited materials to work with. The responsible thing for the team to do is find another tackle out there. I am not talking about some not-good-enough-for-the-Lions cut when the rosters have to be trimmed. I am talking about a bona fide up and coming tackle that the team will have to either trade a player or a draft pick to acquire. Ponder this: Samuels is already having problems with his kneed and the season hasn't begun. I would say his chances of playing a complete season are slim to none. Heyer has his share of dings and he is Samuels' backup. I think it is safe to say that at some point the team is going to need someone other than Samuels or Heyer starting at right tackle and possibly left tackle as well. Anyone else the team has tried in those positions have been broken shutters, letting defensive linemen just blow on by. There is no solid depth. Mike Williams cannot even stay healthy through training camp and they are expecting him to stay healthy through sixteen games? Please. There are some teams that might be willing to swing a trade. You take a guy like A. Montgomery who is solid and has potential. He is trade bait. The team should be shopping.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 26, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

JReid,

Why do people keep asking for these players, both of these players are old and coming off injuries. this doen not make sense. people complain about our old injury prone lineman and want us to bring another old injury prone lineman just cause you know their names. if they were worth any salt they would have been signed already.

and we complain about Vinny and Dan but some of you guys personel suggestions are 10 times worse than what they do

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 26, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Packers actually have a few lineman that want out... don't know what it would take, or if they'd fit into our system, but considering they run the WCO just like we do, I have to assume things would work out.

The only problem is, I would like to keep our draft picks. I am tired of throwing the future away (well not if Cerrato keeps drafting...) for quick fixes. That was the problem from the beginning with this team. We need to start drafting and developing our own talent.. but I doubt that happens anytime soon.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 26, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

are there any potential trade partners? is anyone short on d-line who is strong on o-line?

Posted by: brian58 | August 26, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 26, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

No, Williams isn't eligible for the practice squad because he has spent more than one season on an active NFL roster. Too bad, though, because that might be the best place for him this year.

Posted by: rbpalmer | August 26, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

TWISI, that's pretty much the summation of every argument for Campbell, both ways.

However, he does sell Campbell short on a this assumption:

"If the line comes through … if the line stays healthy … if Malcolm Kelly or Devin Thomas excel … if the defense is dominant… then Campbell doesn’t need to be one for Washington to reach the playoffs. However, that’s a lot of ifs."

Every one of those situations failed last season, yet Campbell was 1.5 games away from the playoffs. If even one of those panned out last season (and it's debatable whether the defense actually did) Campbell is in. If all play out ideally? Campbell's a Super Bowl-caliber QB. Hell, if Campbell had a 85+% kicker, he'd be a playoff QB last season. He makes it sound as if it'll take the aligning of 15 stars to get Campbell to the playoffs, which is obviously not the case.

And this is the crux of the argument:

"His failings are an indictment on other aspects of the team; his success is an equal indication of those around him."

You build a Super Bowl caliber team, you have a Super Bowl caliber QB. You don't, the team will hover. Simple as that. Unless they plan on getting Brady, Peyton, or a future player of their caliber to replace Campbell, pretty much every other QB will finish with the same final analysis.

Posted by: psps23 | August 26, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Next years line will be

LT- Heyer
LG- Dockery
C- Mike Williams
RG- Rhinehart
RT- Samuels

Posted by: GreatOne1
-------------------------

G1, hopefully we will draft Offensive linemen at top of the draft next year who can start (REGARDLESS of the available talent, are you listenning Mr. Cerrato?)

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 26, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

"Next years line will be
LT- Heyer
LG- Dockery
C- Mike Williams
RG- Rhinehart
RT- Samuels
Posted by: GreatOne1"
Hopefully, the Skins will use round 1 and 2 picks on the offensive line next year.

Posted by: fwroy | August 26, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

rbpalmer... yea figured he wouldn't fit... oh well I agree that would be his best option. Other than that we cannot justify keeping this man. He is a liability in pass coverage and a liability on the field in terms of injury. His career ended the first time because he couldn't stay healthy and he kinda sucked but mainly because he was always hurt.

Things have not changed for the man as he has been hurt this entire offseason. I root for the man, but we have such an injury prone line already that we can hardly take a risk on a man like him...

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 26, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

"We draft the highest rated player, regardless of the position" is a recipe for disaster. Whoever came of with logic needs to have his lunch stolen.

We need to draft the highest rated players that we NEED!!

Am I the only one thinking this way?

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 26, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | August 26, 2009 12:27 PM

I've been on that bandwagon all along. When the Cutler stuff was going down, I noted Cutler played ZERO defenses ranked in the top 8, while Campbell played 1/2 his games vs top 8 defenses, including 4 games vs top 3 defenses. Of his 6 INTs, 5 came vs those top 3 defenses (2 vs Bal, 2 vs Pitt, 1 vs jints). Just removing the Bal and Pitt games from Campbell's QB rating puts him close to 90, or roughly among the league's top 10. And his rating is similar to mcnabb and eli, who played similar competition (romo was notably better in QB rating).

I see Campbell much the same way Keim does. Protect him reasonably well and he'll succeed. But if his OL is overmatched and his "weapons" are limited/compromised (aka Moss's hammy), Campbell will look very pedestrian.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 26, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

guess not fwroy!!! :)

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 26, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I hope that having a good stable of receivers to throw to will help JC grow into himself. He's a very cautious player - half a season with no INTs. But maybe some of that goes away once he's got some time in with Kelly/Thomas/Mitchell/Davis as well as the ARE/Moss/Cooley that we're used to. I'm not sold on him as a franchise QB, but I still think there's some room for him to make a case for himself this year.

To me, the great ones make it up out of thin air, even when it seems like there's no play to be made. That's why people loved Joe Montana, and a younger Brett Favre. I don't see that in JC. Yet. If ever.

Posted by: SonofNero | August 26, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 26, 2009 12:25 PM

Great comment !

Posted by: SORRY_INSIDERS | August 26, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Next years line will be

LT- Heyer
LG- Dockery
C- Mike Williams
RG- Rhinehart
RT- Samuels

Posted by: GreatOne1

So we're assuming Rabach is gone because he's a UFA?

Posted by: SonofNero | August 26, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

back to that article on campbell. It was a little tough on campbell. I thought Jason played well, and if our Defense was able to get off the field some games in the 4th, or our kicker made more than 70% of his kicks, or if our offensive line hadn't completely fallen to cra* sjk... we woulda been a playoff team, as psps said...

To say that he needs everything to align perfectly for him to succeed is completely wrong and another way of saying that Campbell is an awful qb. I know many of you have your doubts about the man, and his play in his last 10 games (including the 2 preseason games) has only furthered this sentiment... but I do see him being a good qb for us. No, he is not Tom Brady, Carson Palmer, Peyton Manning... But I would say that he could have taken the Steelers to the superbowl last year, as Ben Roethlisberger is not a great qb either and he did it...

It is not fair to bash a man for his teams shortcomings. Not even Tom "the cheater" Brady could have done much better for us. If you are running for your life every play, and your wrs drop half the balls you throw to them.. its hard to succeed. I'm sorry, but to blame Campbell solely for this is simply unfair.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 26, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

We need to draft the highest rated players that we NEED!!

Am I the only one thinking this way?

Posted by: peaceful2008

100% with you on this one. Minor tweak is that need is defined as 1-2 years out, not necessarily the upcoming season.

Orakpo made lots of sense because we needed DE and/or LB. We let Evans, Jason Taylor and Marcus Washington go. Daniels is 36, Carter hasn't exactly been burning things up, London Fletcher is up there and Rocky has questionable knees. We needed DE/LB guys ... and so Vinny made the right call (whether it works out or not)

OL made lots of sense because most of the OL is up there in age and it takes time to develop a guy. By ignoring the OL, Vinny messed up in a huge way.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 26, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

BEST ANALYSIS OF JC17 THIS OFFSEASON. BARNONE

(CAPS off) Shout out to whoever posted this.

Campbell is who we thought he was. A great QB missing one key ingrediant - Killer Instinct. W/O that, he will be average his entire carreer and will always have to depend on a awsome OLine and RB. And he will hardly ever win games for you....

With this, now I wish we had gotten Cutty or Sanchez, who both posses what he doesn't have.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 26, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Normally the offensive line doesn't get the rotation that d lines get, but for this team this year, I think you have to consider something like that.
(1) to build up the young guys and
(2) to spell these aging vets
I think Samuels and Thomas are rock solid, but they're already starting to crack and it's pre-season. Hello?

Posted by: pgugino | August 26, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

"You build a Super Bowl caliber team, you have a Super Bowl caliber QB."

Roethlisberger is the perfect example of this. Dude gets overrated IMO...like in that article TWISI linked to for instance.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 26, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't be surprised if the Redskins signed someone as an O-Line backup off the waiver wire after the final cutdown to 53-man rosters. Some teams have an abundance of O-Lineman and others, like the Skins, have holes to fill.

Posted by: rb-freedom-for-all | August 26, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | August 26, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Good point. Just to add fuel to the fire consider this nugget. BigBen only threw 4 more TDs than JC but he threw 9 more INTs. Of course he goes on to win the superbowl because they have the best defense in the league. BigBen is regarded as one of the best QBs in the league because he just wins. People call him a clutch performer because he does most of his scoring in the 4th quarter. They tend to neglect his INTs in the first 3. BigBen also lost 7 fumbles and JC only lost 1.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | August 26, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1

Over the past several years, yeah, he messed up big. But the defensive upgrades are noticeable this season. And, I half believe that Vinny (despicable though he is) could actually draft a good lineman or two next offseason. More likely, though, the first draft pick is a QB to replace JC.

Posted by: pgugino | August 26, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I am also not sold on MW345 making this team. Once 1st cuts come in, we'll see....

Keep off the roster, but let him come and work out on his on.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 26, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

JReid not picking the 'Skins to win the Super Bowl?! Less than 1,000 yeards for CP?! He obviously has an axe to grind with the front office...

Posted by: 4-12 | August 26, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Also, Packers apparently have a spare interior lineman, Scott Wells, ...
Posted by: dcsween
_________________________

Isn't our real need OT's, not interior?

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 26, 2009 12:40 PM

Eye of the beholder. I'm good to go with Stephon Heyer moving forward and improving. I'm more concerned about the knee problems and vertebrae injury to the Skins oldest lineman, Randy Thomas. The guy is the man, but I have serious fears that he doesn't last all season, at which point the Chad Rinehart-inspired poop tremors begin. Also, I have no idea who is backing up Dockery should something happen, Cindy* forbid, to him.

* We do have freedom of religion up here.

Posted by: dcsween | August 26, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

'great' one --

you don't seem to understand that there is a difference between a STOP GAP free agent (in this case for depth) and an INVESTMENT at a position. Haynesworth and Deangelo Hall were FA investments; meaning that they are meant to be here for the primes of their careers and we'll pay handsomely for that. getting a backup tackle like Jones or Runyan would be a STOP GAP solution and provide backup depth. They would not be given a large contract, and maybe even a 1 year deal. It's plugging holes so the ship doesn't sink. It's not a long-term solution. Runyan gave up .4sacks/gm and Jones gave up .5sacks/gm. Neither are stellar, but both better than the .6sacks/gm Jansen gave up (even with constant TE blocking help). The point is that they'd each be a cheap BACKUP. Heyer would be the starter, but if he goes down or Samuels needs a rest, our season wouldn't be over by placing Bridges or BMW at OT. We'd sign them for 1 year (2 at the most) and then still Draft or Trade for a long-term player in the summer of 2010. Smart teams address their weaknesses with smart, cheap FA signings like this one. What do you think the Patriots do EVERY offseason? They sign cheap veterans for short-term deals to ensure that they have the necessary depth to withstand injuries to their prime players. You.don't.get.it

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha | August 26, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

No....I take that back....There was report this morning there are a shortage of Tackles around the league.

With that, I can see why we would keep him....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 26, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Next years line will be

LT- Heyer
LG- Dockery
C- Mike Williams
RG- Rhinehart
RT- Samuels

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 26, 2009 12:31 PM

... 40% correct (assuming adjustments to reflect this year's starters) ... three of the current starters will not be starters next season ... injury will take at least one, maybe two. Cap hit may take one. Overall performance is likely the reason for extensive overhaul (see Philly). Maybe one guy gets drafted, maybe. Re-load happens through free agency. So let it be written, so let it be done.

Caveat: Playing in the playoff game after the wild card weekend erases the mandate for a complete overhaul ... so it would just be injuries and cap effect.

Posted by: dcsween | August 26, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

With that, I can see why we would keep him....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 26, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

He has a tremendous upside and he's better than some of the backups that will make the roster. He can run block right now. He needs to get a little better in pass protection before we consider starting him and he has to get healthy but there's no reason he can't be used in short yardage situations. With BMW blocking I'd bet even Ladell could get into the end zone.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | August 26, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Here's practice VIDEO

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 26, 2009 9:57 AM

Who was at the practice MARTY ?

Posted by: SORRY_INSIDERS | August 26, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Total yardage for Clinton Portis this season:
“Less than 1,000.”

The Mayor has lost it. Only way CP gets less thatn 1,000 is if he is hurt.

Posted by: jm220 | August 26, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

What I want to know, if J. Reid is "The Mayor", who is the Police Chief that is going to take care of Marty's guy?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 26, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4-12 | August 26, 2009 1:21 PM |

I kind of don't like these things because it spotlights the person who is doing the reporting. Making them into a mini-celebrity. And, stuff may come out that will have you form an opinion.

After reading that....JReid really doesn't like Clinton Portis. So we have another Portis hater on the beat, though he has only failed to reach 1,487 yards his whole carreer once when he was hurt....

Lucily, JReid is bad at predictions, you can check his track record...

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 26, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

From Ross Tucker at SI, regarding Jansen:

In the same Lions-Falcons game, on the opposite end of the spectrum, I saw my former teammate Jon Jansen playing against a bunch of no-names in the fourth quarter. Watching Jansen wear a No. 68 jersey in Honolulu Blue after he had spent 10 seasons manning the right tackle spot wearing No. 76 for the Redskins was almost surreal. Jansen is not the player he once was, having been slowed by a couple of devastating injuries over the years. He is the prototypical aging veteran trying to squeeze out another year, playing late in a preseason game against a bunch of young guys who'll be lucky to land on the practice squad. It has to be humbling for a guy like Jansen, considering he probably never played in the second half of a preseason game before.

I'm guessing Jansen doesn't make the team...should have taken the retirement option....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 26, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

PAskinsfan17 - I would think we need to see him in some more action to determine that.....

Read O'Hallaran and Keim. When they were allowed to watch practice, they would say MW345 would get spun like a turnstile by any and all the DLineman...

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 26, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

This new reporter from the NFLN named Jason LaCanfora reports that the loser of the starting QB comp between Leftwich/McKnown/Josh Johnson will be on the trading block....

Josh Johnson has great potential....

Just sayin....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 26, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

non football.

Wow is all I got to say about this story. Instead of wearing the T shirt they should have study history to see what religion has killed more people.

Posted by: jm220 | August 26, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 26, 2009 12:35 PM | Report

Posted by: scottmando | August 26, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"You build a Super Bowl caliber team, you have a Super Bowl caliber QB."

And to have a Super Bowl caliber QB, you need to protect him. Gibbs won a Super Bowl with a well-protected Mark Rypien and Doug Williams..Two guys that were square up and throw pocket passers, like Campbell..The option to override team self-destruct at offensive tackle commences at T-Minus 16 days, 15 days, 14 days, 13...

Posted by: frak | August 26, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Response to non-football:

and in what strange universe, no matter what you believed, would a parent think it was OK to send their kid to a public school wearing such a shirt?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 26, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I think that Mike Williams will be sitting on the sidelines at the beginning of the season and working out on his own. The Skins will re-sign him if they need him. No other team will pick him up because they all realize that he needs time to build up strength after all the weight loss and reps to get his footwork and hand movements in synch. He is at least a 2-3 months away, even if he gets his injuries settled down. Furthermore, they know he wants to stay in the DC area to be near the Dockery's and would not sign elsewhere. But by the second half of the season, I see Big Mike playing some significant minutes.

Posted by: iseyij | August 26, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scottmando | August 26, 2009 1:44 PM

Fact, the running game was good in the first half of the season, when JC17 had a 100.3 QB rating.

CPortis had 1 game over 100 yards in the final 8 games, and JC17's QB rating was around 70 during that same span. Neither one of them sucks, but the O-line was not the same against those top-rated defenses in the final 8 games.

Them's the facts!

Posted by: Alan4 | August 26, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

"Uh, "keep that bunch healthy?"

Believe it or not, the prognosis is slightly better now than going into last season. Leaving Mike Williams out completely, they still have a little experienced depth behind the starters, in the form of Bridges. I never thought Mike Williams had a chance to contribute before midseason anyway. Dockery is less likely to get hurt than Kendall, and Heyer than Jansen.

Hope I haven't jinxed them.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 26, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 26, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, on passing downs he would get turned like a thai hooker. They both agree that he is a solid run blocker though. That's why I suggested only using him in short yardage situations until he can get better in protection.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | August 26, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston

totally with you John. That's just crazy man. And one would think a reponsible parent who believes in God no matter what name one may call Him would teach their child that if a person isn't on the right path God will handle him/her.

Posted by: jm220 | August 26, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

"Check the facts. the running game was good. every team has drops."

Skins led the league in drops

Them's the facts too!

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 26, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

From that Washingtonian interview of JReid:

Q: Your picks for the top five teams going in to the 2009-2010 season:

A: “Pittsburgh Steelers, New England Patriots, Indianapolis Colts, Philadelphia Eagles, Baltimore Ravens.”

Notwithstanding how much this sounds like power rankings, I got say yes, maybe, no, no, and maybe.

I can't tell when this interview occurred, but the future of Philly has gone from way bad (on the offensive line) to odd (Vick), but there is no way to predict a win -- even in Week One (they play Panthers in Carolina) right now.

The newly reconsistitued Patriots cannot be the old Patriots on mystique alone. The only new thing they have to make them the old Patriots are some old players (Springs, Fred Taylor, and Joey Galloway).

Colts w/o Manning's safe #1 and #2 are just not the old Colts.

Pittsburgh seems legit ... but the Baltimore starting defense that the Skins faced is not the same Baltimore defense. I think the loss of their D-coordinator to the Jets is going to leave a mark.

My up-and-coming guess is the Saints.

Posted by: dcsween | August 26, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

On the WRs, I haven't seen Mitchell except for the highlight play, so I'm not sure how to comment on him.

What is clear to me is that ARE is a decent #2 WR and a good #3 WR. No question he should be on the field as a WR. Especially since he can throw the ball so well (he's probably our 3rd best QB). Get him off of punt returns so he can concentrate on being a better WR.

I really liked Kelly last year from the little I saw of him in preseason. In the game he played late in the year, he didn't look good running an end zone pattern (the DB crowded him so that any catch would have been out of bounds). Kelly will be a good WR, a guy you want on the field ... if his knees hold up. I'm not optimistic there, but the medical stuff is beyond my ability to understand. My bias is towards to big, move the chains WRs, and Kelly is clearly that sort of guy.

I agree with those who think Thomas may be sinking fast. Mitchell seems like a keeper. Hackett has demonstrated that he can play at this level -- and only ARE and Moss can say that among our roster guys. My guess is that they want to put Mitchell on the practice squad because they don't trust Kelly's knees to hold up. Does Thomas get his walking papers? Can we trade him for something useful?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 26, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

dc, the saints don't have a defense to back up their offense...thats their drawback....G-Will is gonna have to make chicken salad with chicken shinola....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 26, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

My up-and-coming guess is the Saints.

Posted by: dcsween

The Falc: Matt Ryan, Michael Turner and Tony Gonzales

Posted by: frak | August 26, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

bleep, bneep

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 26, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jm220 | August 26, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

You dont hear about "normal" believers, those people dont sell. You only hear about the loonies, and that goes for all religions. AS far as what religion has killed more, does it matter? Religion in general, has killed more people than anything else on this planet. I tend to stay away from these arguments, because it ends up like kids fighting over who has the coolest imaginary friend.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 26, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

"Check the facts. the running game was good. every team has drops. he holds the ball too loooonnggg and sacks and rushed passes happen after that. he sucks. plain and simplePosted by: scottmando"

I think that when the o-line wore down in the second half, the pass attack was challenged to step up, and just couldn't. Mostly that was because the pass blocking (never a strength in the first place) wasn't up to it. When opposing coordinators figure out the Skins couldn't pass effectively, they focused on the run and that died, too.

Even big-time run teams like the Giants, Panthers, and Titans have problems sustaining the run game if the defense is able to focus on it, right? Those teams rely on the the RBs to pick up additional yards downfield, and the Skins backs aren't good at that.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 26, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 26, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I guess you missed the Saints offseason. Their defensive trouble was in the secondary. They added Jabari Greer from Buffalo, Darren Sharper from Minnesota, and drafted Malcolm Jenkins. Jenkins will cover the slot instead of our hero leigh torrence or bust jason david. Tracy porter was injured last year too but he's back. I think the only one who is staying is Roman Harper.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | August 26, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

TWISI- Are you kidding me with this insightful beat reporter stuff? "When everything is going well for him, he can flourish; when it isn’t, he won’t."

Wow, that is deep, dude. Kind of like the long version of the ubiquitous " It is what it is."

Posted by: bostskin | August 26, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Greg,
I agree I feel bad for Jansen, he was a good guy and gave a lot for the team. I think he suffers from that same problem Favre has when it comes to retiring. Thing is he is probably smart enough to get a front office or lower coaching job.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 26, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins will finish with a 4-12 record.

Jason Campbell is definitely not - an NFL Quarterback.

It's time to say goodbye to Vincent Cerrato.

Too bad, Danny Snyder.

Danny Snyder loves Penn State

Maryland basketball will finish with a 15-16 record

No NCAA bid

No NIT bid

Maryland Football will finish with a 2-10 record.

Maryland's defensive line and linebacker corps are a joke --- no pass rush whatsoever and give up a ton of long yardage plays.

I have seen harder hitting teams in powder puff leagues.

The only hard hits the Terps make - are out of bound plays - which cost them an additional 15 yards - which are quite frequent.

California's running back - Best - will gain 296 yards in the opening game

I love it, when Maryland constantly gets embarrassed on national TV.

Prediction:

California -- 56
Maryland -- 10

It's hilarious to see Maryland win a game - and the very next week get clobbered by a Virginia Tech - Boston College.

It is great to see Maryland go down to a crushing defeat on the football recruiting front (the kids they have received commitments from - are a joke! - taking the bottom of the barrel)

Carolina Blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels - Let's go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | August 26, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

We need to draft the highest rated players that we NEED!!

Am I the only one thinking this way?

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 26, 2009 1:00 PM

Indiannapolis seems to be doing just fine with thier draft strategy of Best Available Player.

Drafting only to positions of need is a good way to wind up reaching in the draft and ultimately will lead to "busts".

IIRC pittsburg drafts BPA too.

Posted by: ecale25 | August 26, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

"Look at the giants, they grab the best players available even when they don't know where they will play them. Look at how many pro-bowl caliber D-Lineman they have. They had to create a new defensive formation just to utilize them all!
IIRC pittsburg drafts BPA too.
Posted by: ecale25"

That's deceptive. The Giants draft a bunch of players on the d-line because of their philosophy of defensive pressure. They feel that if they can get enough direct pressure from their front four or five, then the DBs don't have to be as good in coverage.

Pitt drafts the best player available in positions where they believe the need is greatest. Offensive line usually isn't one of them. That's partly why their line scored so low in the defensive ratings last year.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 26, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

i mean the offensive ratings -- Pitt's offensive line wasn't very good at all

Posted by: Samson151 | August 26, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

a) why do I see posts concerning next years team, when the season HASN'T EVEN started yet? pessimists perhaps???

b) I totally disagree with anyone who wants to trade anyone at this point in the preseason. That is ridiculous.

c) Let's try rooting for the guys we have here (i.e. Campbell, O-Line, etc) to succeed rather then trying to dissect every bit of minutia that they do wrong.

D) MOST IMPORTANTLY...NONE OF YOU have any experience in drafting, managing, coaching a NFL franchise so suffice to say...I think the people who do this for a living know WAY more then ME or ANY OF YOU.

Stop being armchair qb's and just enjoy the season and root for everyone to succeed. Let's see how it plays out! Good or bad. Don't worry about next year until NEXT year.

Posted by: TampaBayareaRedskinsfan | August 26, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Today's worst headline for folks who hate eating crow:

"Jets Name Sanchez Starting Quarterback"

I'm not eating it--I already have--I'm talking about the slice USC Head Coach 'Stinky Pete' Carroll swallowed this afternoon.

Last spring, in support of Jason Campbell, we dissed both Sanchez and Cutler.

Let's skim the preseason numbers:

Jason Campbell 13 4 48 0

Mark Sanchez 12 6 131 1

Jay Cutler 23 13 185 1

I hope Campbell plays well this weekend, otherwise I might have to admit the FO was right--and bloggas wrong-- in chasing boh Sanchez and Cutler.

The next thing I'll have to admit is that Rick Pitino always tells the truth.

And I don't want to do that.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 26, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

those are preseason numbers, bro. PRESEASON.

Don't mean jacks$%t! different teams, different circumstances.

Let's wait until...hmm..say...week 4 REG season to compare numbers. Then you may...MAY have a point.

Posted by: TampaBayareaRedskinsfan | August 26, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

tampabarearedskinsfan

"....those are preseason numbers (for Campbell, Sanchez, Cutler), bro. PRESEASON...,"

I didn't know that accuracy, quick reads, and touch were what happens only the regular season.

I just thought that if number 1s are playing number 1s, even for two series, what you want is production.

And the numbers show that Campbell hasn't produced.

Yet.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 26, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

samsom151

"...Pitt's offensive line wasn't very good at all..."

True.

Big Ben has been sacked more than any other q-back over the past few years.

But he also has rings.

Go figure.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 26, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Look,

The Skins need to 'give up the ghost' on Big Mike Williams quickly and sign Jon Runyan to back up (or compete with Heyer) at RT before someone (likely his old team, the Iggles) snatches him up. If I were Cerrato, I would advise Zorn and the owner that we need to put Williams on IR and see what he can give us in practice this season and next offseason. To think he's going to contribute this year is wishful thinking at best. Actually, it's downright foolish.

As for the man the OLine is protecting, we all like Jason Campbell - he's kind and decent, and we want him to succeed. But performance does not lie. Campbell's 'body of work' - as he enters his 5th year in the NFL - is shaky at best.

The other QBs the year Campbell was drafted, Smith of the Niners and Rogers of the Pack (one pick before Jason) have shown to be who they are (in my mind): Smith is a bust, Rogers is the real deal (good but not great), and Campbell is thoroughly average - not unlike Patrick Ramsey who still draws a paycheck in the NFL but strictly as a reserve.

When you consider where Ramsey and Campbell were drafted (Jason especially, given what we gave up for him - a 1st, 3rd and a 4th), and the fact that Rosenfels (our 4th in 01) and Hamdan (our 7th in 03) still draw NFL paychecks (in reserve roles for the Vikings and Bills, respectively), it makes you wonder why the Skins keep wasting picks on signal callers (I haven't even mentioned Jordan Palmer - 6th in 07 (bust) and Colt Brennan - 6th in 08 (on the bubble). At least Chase Daniel, the new August Assassin, was an undrafted pick up.

The Skins simply must find their QB in free agency or trade. Thus, Snyder and Cerrato were wise to try and acquire either Cutler or Sanchez. I just hope next year they have similar talents in the cross hairs and that they're able to land someone to replace Campbell and give us a few solid years consecutively as the Skins' starter.

Posted by: knk4jack | August 26, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

"guess you missed the Saints offseason. Their defensive trouble was in the secondary. They added Jabari Greer from Buffalo, Darren Sharper from Minnesota, and drafted Malcolm Jenkins. Jenkins will cover the slot instead of our hero leigh torrence or bust jason david."

Yeah, I moved from NOVA to NOLA in 2005, and the Saints D looks much improved so far this preseason, thanks in part to the Greggmeister. They also have a boatload of young offensive lineman, many of whom could start for the skins. Maybe they would be nice enough to cut one of them for us before the season starts.

Posted by: jaypem | August 27, 2009 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Bugel is a huge problem. He keeps telling the front office how great these linemen are and they keep believing him. They continually ignore the O-line in the draft and free agency. If you think the Hogs were great, then think about who REALLY created them. It was all Bobby Beathard. Not Bugel; not Gibbs.

Posted by: larrypalma | August 27, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

No mention of the real problem? How about Vinny failing to draft effective OL players? Most fans know the OL is still the weak link and all the puffy comments aren't going to change it.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | August 27, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse