Here's What I Think ...

With camp mercifully finished and the regular season drawing closer, I figured today would be a good time to introduce a new feature: Here's what happened/Here's what I think. I'll take a look at key events each week and offer my take, which, as always, is reporting-based. So let's roll.

Here's what happened: Quarterback Jason Campbell completed 1 of 7 passes for 10 yards in a 17-13 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers on Saturday as the first-team offense failed to produce a touchdown for the second time in as many games.

Here's what I think: Although it's only preseason, Campbell and the first-team offense obviously have not been sharp. Campbell made good decisions in throwing two balls away on screens the Steelers read well from the snap, but considering the offense's poor production last season, it's reasonable for fans to be concerned. The Redskins' offensive starters are expected to play at least the entire first half Friday night against the New England Patriots at FedEx Field. They need to have a good showing to avoid a crisis of confidence on the eve of the season.

Here's what happened: Coach Jim Zorn said left tackle Chris Samuels nearly sat out against the Steelers because of a sore right knee. The knee, on which Samuels had surgery in the offseason, will have to be managed throughout the season, Zorn added.

Here's what I think: Uh-oh. The offensive line was considered the team's weakest link last season and the main reason for the 2-6 second-half collapse. Even after nine seasons in the league and multiple knee surgeries, Samuels is the team's best lineman and the key to any hope the unit has of improving on its poor performance in pass protection. If Samuels were sidelined early in the season, Stephon Heyer would move from right tackle and journeyman guard-tackle Jeremy Bridges would take the spot Heyer vacated. Mike Williams could be in the mix as well, but probably not in the first few games. Regardless, things could get real ugly quickly if Samuels is out for an extended period.

Here's what happened: In his first pro game, rookie quarterback Chase Daniel threw two touchdown passes to rally the Redskins past the Steelers in the second half. He completed 6 of 8 passes for 58 yards in a sharp performance.

Here's what I think: This could be very bad news for Colt Brennan. In all honesty, I never really gave Daniel much of a chance to make the team. I mean, the dude is generously listed at 6 feet, and vertically challenged quarterbacks don't last long in this here league. My former partner, who from this point on will simply be known in this space as, "the TV star," and I told Cindy a long time ago that he probably didn't have a chance.

Well, that's not what I'm hearing now. Daniel has opened eyes in practice with his grasp of the offense and impressed against the Steelers. Of course, many of the guys whom he shined against either will be out of the league or on opening-day practice squads, so it's not as if he took it to the Steelers' first-team defense. On the other hand, Brennan achieved cult-hero status among fans as a rookie in the 2008 preseason against third-team guys, too.

Brennan is down with the cool Chris Cooley set, and he possesses the type of swagger I hear owner Daniel Snyder likes in his players. But some in the organization believe Brennan has a bit too much swagger for a sixth-round draft pick who has done, well, nothing in the NFL. All those passing yards he accumulated at the University of Hawaii don't matter here.

Bottom line, we're only talking about the No. 3 quarterback job. Todd Collins is firmly entrenched as Campbell's backup. And Brennan still has time to hold off his challenger. But if Daniel has another big night in the final preseason game Sept. 3 against the Jacksonville Jaguars, things could get really hot for Brennan.

Here's what happened: After his Redskins debut, defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth said he removed himself from the game on at least two occasions because he couldn't breathe. He said he felt constricted because his jersey was too small. The uniform was altered at halftime.

Here's what I think: You're potentially willing to pay a guy more than $100 million, and you can't get him a uniform that fits? I guess the product on the field isn't completely isolated from all those layoffs and cutbacks that occurred in the offseason.

Here's what happened: Wideout Malcolm Kelly continued to show encouraging signs and tight end Fred Davis made consecutive big plays against the Steelers.

Here's what I think: Kelly will be a playmaker for this team if his knee holds up, and Davis could form a dynamic tight-end duo with Chris Cooley if he keeps his head in the game. Now, will Devin Thomas catch up with his fellow second-year teammates?

Here's what happened: Rookie wideout Marko Mitchell continues his impressive showing with a three-yard touchdown reception - the Redskins' first touchdown of the preseason - in the third quarter against the Steelers.

Here's what I think: I know Mitchell is not adept at special teams, and guys competing for the fifth wideout spot are supposed to be able to play teams. But there aren't 53 people on this roster who have been more productive than Mitchell to this point. It's not even close.

By Jason Reid  |  August 25, 2009; 5:30 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rogers, Sellers Expect to Play vs. Patriots
Next: Campbell's 'Just Weathering the Storm'

Comments

1st

Posted by: skinsfan0524 | August 25, 2009 5:46 AM | Report abuse

With training camp winding down, I’ve come back to give you my annual appraisal of performances here on Redskins Insider. I can’t rate all of you because too many are nebbishes with no personalities to speak of, but these bloggers stand out:

Most valuable player: dcsween
Biggest nit picker: talent_evaluator
Most poorly named: GreatOne1
Most unhinged: (tie) FIREJIMZORN, Barno1, sportsguru
Worst record: 4-12
Best friend: 4thFloor
Most humorless: zcezcest
Worst speller: Alex35332 (since Jasno left)
Most out to lunch: TheTruth11
Most out-of-the-blue: NateinthePDX
Most liked: CindyBoren
Thinnest skin: scampbell1975
Most bonus points: beantowngreg
Whiniest: leevi98
Least to offer: BlackBagOps/LittleGreenBag/BaggerVance/etc.

Posted by: FirstTimePoster | August 25, 2009 6:22 AM | Report abuse

The GreatOne1 thing made me laugh. Not gonna lie.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 25, 2009 6:28 AM | Report abuse

Can't argue that...then again, maybe I can since I'm unwilling/unable to learn!

Funny list, FTP. Well done.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 25, 2009 6:43 AM | Report abuse

Nit-picker? How can you call me a nit-picker? And even if I were, there are many up here who are bigger nit-pickers. I'll give you their names in a minute.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 25, 2009 6:51 AM | Report abuse

Kudos to Jason on the new format. Like it and like the content. Haynesworth's uni doesn't fit? This isn't layoffs; it's belt-tightening.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 25, 2009 6:59 AM | Report abuse

for real...
need to start looking at some FA linemen. i know the pool of available players isn't great or deep, but seriously...

need a veteran backup a la jon runyan, because eventually...someone IS going to get nicked up and miss a game or two.

Posted by: carsonspence | August 25, 2009 7:13 AM | Report abuse

for real...

Posted by: carsonspence | August 25, 2009 7:13 AM | Report abuse

last year we didn't look "sharp" during preseason esp after having a new coach with a new system, blah, blah, blah...but after game 1 against the Giants, we started execting much more consistently and did reasonably well til other teams figured out there wasn't much dimension to the offense. Give it some time and pay attention to what the players are saying that they have grown in the offense, that there is more depth in the system, that there is a higher comfort level with more reaction and less thinking. I really believe that we'll see improvement. All you arm chair quarterbacks and writers just be patient and stop fanning the flames of unsuccessfulness.

Posted by: songsofpraise | August 25, 2009 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: carsonspence | August 25, 2009 7:13 AM

Which is exactly why on Madden I traded Andre Carter for Olin Kreutz straight up. Still can't believe the Bears went for it. Gives me O-line depth AND gave me a chance to move Orakpo to his natural position of DE.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 25, 2009 7:27 AM | Report abuse

I keep hearing that Campbell is making good decisions, for example when he threw the ball away during a screen play read. The problem I have with Campbell is that once the play is called, he executes without improvisation. If his first read is a deep receiver, then that's where he's going, regardless of all the open midfield receivers. He may be making "good" decisions, but he couldn't convert on third down and keep his offense on the field. Time will tell. One thing is for sure, if Campbell's production is poor for the first half of the season, Snyder will demand him being pulled as the starter. We can count on that.

Posted by: ronnieb1212 | August 25, 2009 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: carsonspence | August 25, 2009 7:13 AM |

The time to do this is next week when the cutdowns start. Pool will be deeper then.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 25, 2009 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Shocker.

Chris Samuels isn't gonna make it through 16 games.

Too bad we didn't see this one coming, or we could have shored up the Oline this offseason when there were a bazillion linemen available in the draft or through FA.

Posted by: p1funk | August 25, 2009 7:39 AM | Report abuse

“Defensively, they are as good as any team we will face,” says New England coach Bill Belichick, who brings the Patriots to town for the third preseason game on Friday night at FedExField.

Didn't he say something similar before the last time they met?

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 25, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Nebbishes?

So what number will Sam Bradford wear for us next year?

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 25, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Couple of quick thoughts.

Fubball Related:

- I think all of the brouhaha about Campbell is much ado about nothing. I don't care that it's just the preseason. That's not my argument. Rather, it's that it's harder for a qb to grasp the offense than to make the requisite throws (at least in the nfl where 90% of the qb's can make most of the throws). So, I find it encouraging that Campbell is managing to go through his progressions and make the right decision. With his physical gifts, he'll no doubt get the execution down. But, if you don't make the right decision, it doesn't matter how hard you throw the ball or how talented you are. You're gonna end up throwing into double coverage, getting sacked, or running for your life most of the time.

- Campbell played only 3 series. That doesn't even extrapolate into a bad game yet. In a regular season game, he could have come back strong in the second half and had a decent game. Not to mention that they were actually trying to do some new things like go deep which they might not have experimented with in a regular season game. Also, going deeps helps (and seemed to in this case) the running game.

Non - fubbal:

It seems like that Marty_s guy is engaging in what is known to people in the biz as blog-spam. That is, link to a particular document (in this case video) from different threads in different contexts and have it rank higher in your favorite search engine. One of the oldest tricks in the book.

I would highly urge the WashingtonPost staff to block his IP (and block that new one he acquires and so on), so that readership and hence, advertising revenue, doesn't decline.

Posted by: hailbg | August 25, 2009 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Here's what I think:

Campbell has lost is confidence and could very well start the season behind Collins.

The team is being silly with Samuels' knee. Get him back into the surgeon and get whatever is wrong fixed now before the regular season. Limiting his playing time is not going to make a chronic knee problem go away - playing is eventually going to make it worse.

Chase Daniel did look good on some plays but so far, he has shined in one quarter. Colt needs to make better decisions and needs to deflate that ego a little bit.

Haynesworth's uniform was too tight and they fixed it? Why is this worth talking about?

Davis redeemed himself Saturday night and Kelly continues to shine. This is something to be happy about.

Marko Mitchell is a keeper. The team will find a slot for him. If Devin Thomas doesn't start making the big plays, he might find Marko Mitchell passing him on the depth chart.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 25, 2009 8:04 AM | Report abuse

I suppose there could be worse things than being known for having the most bonus points.....

Anyway, hoping for a good showing offensively this Friday....I say spread it out, and throw the fling-flanging thing all over the field.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 25, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Ravens-Jets, a funny game. Baltimore pulled that same malarkey on New York that they did against Washington, dogging from the first snap. Rex Ryan came right back at them. I don't know why any team would do this in the preseason -- it's asking for injuries. Of course the fanz love it, it's all entertainment to them.

Good for viewers, crappy for players.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 25, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

"Most liked: CindyBoren
Thinnest skin: scampbell1975
Most bonus points: beantowngreg
Whiniest: leevi98
Least to offer: BlackBagOps/LittleGreenBag/BaggerVance/etc.
Posted by: FirstTimePoster"

LOL funny stuff. But FirstTimePoster has got to be somebody's sock puppet, right? So who is it?

Posted by: Samson151 | August 25, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Here is what I think this dumb post makes insider even more negative. Reporters do not get it. This new guy is a hater. Probably was a middle school athlete and now takes it out on the players. Come on Reid , your reporting is too negative. Report facts, The O-Line look great against the champs. Campbell stats mean nothing because they tried to go deep twice and he threw the ball away twice. Why not report the Skins are looking to be more aggressive. Negative reporting is lazy reporting. Why don't you do some real reporting?
Insider fell off!

Posted by: tjzukoski | August 25, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Technically, FTP, CynCyty & Jasno are the only bloggers on there... the rest are ThRedSkins...commenters.

That being said - good list. Glad to be among my knebbish brethren, lchaim!

Team Observations:
I'm still at 10-6 w/ Playoffs being ENTIRELY possible (and I'm sticking to it). But there certainly is plenty to be worried about.

My order of worries is as follows:

1) WTF?! style coarching
F) Soup regression
&) O Line dismemberment
.0314Eeee) Manos de Piedra in the receiver corps
Occelot) mis-use of durdy thurdy (see #1)

Barring the prevelance of the above, we should be able to achieve my projection. Otherwise, we'll be able to achieve a new coarch & QB.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 25, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

...and why is it all crusty... ew.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 25, 2009 8:17 AM

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 25, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | August 25, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Will it be the one Sam Huff talks to in the broadcast booth this year?

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 25, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Most valuable player: dcsween
Least valuable player: periculum
Most improved: Red DMV
Most outside the box: (tie) MistaMoe, vicc
etc.

Posted by: FirstTimePoster | August 25, 2009 6:22 AM

Aw, crap, coach, you mean I don't make the team? At least keep me on the practice squad, coach? Huh, coach? c'mon!

Kay, that's it, I'm holding out for next year's draft, cause you all up in here don't see my real skills. I mean really...you pick FIREJIMZORN and leave me out? Damn.

Posted by: SonofNero | August 25, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

"So what number will Sam Bradford wear for us next year?"

Jevan Snead > Sam Bradford

in the pros...

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 25, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Love your new feature, keep it coming. Lots of information. Lin Donald

Posted by: liglewood | August 25, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

First Time Poster:

Thinnest skin? I like it. Let the hurling of insults commence.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 25, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

SonofNero - I too am feeling the sting of not making the A-list. But maybe theres a UFL insider for no personality nebbishes like us.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 25, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I agree Dik. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point. I think we can go 10-6 also. Unfortunately I also think 6-10 is entirely possible. I guess we will see. I like our D ALOT. The offense will also be better with the new receivers starting to contribute. It all boils down to staying healthy.

Posted by: scottmando | August 25, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I hope Cindy didn't take the personnel evaluations of the vertically challenged tv star and the "mayor" to heart. I know these guys cover the game for a living but it makes me laugh any time one of the media types think they know more than a well informed fan. Its the same as referees or umpires with egos who think they are as big a part of the game as the players.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | August 25, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

So that would be six things you think you think? Save them up for a once a week feature? Why not. If Ross Tucker can study with the King, so can you.

Seriously, I like it. I much prefer to see you claim it right out as your thoughts, than as what we used to get as "objective reporting."

Posted by: SonofNero | August 25, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Like the new theme from the Mayor, also I will take the worst speller thing.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 25, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Hey tjzukoski..
After reading your post.. I re-read JR's column... It appeared to be very well balanced journalism.....
So, Here's What I Think, tjzukoski..
You should start reading Snyder.Com aka Redskins.Com...its all positive propaganda over there...
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
tjzukoski wrote:
Insider fell off!

Posted by: tjzukoski | August 25, 2009 8:28 AM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | August 25, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 25, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

There is but all the handles are required to be nearly identical with mild variations in capitolization and a 3 digit number coed.

PS if you do not get the joke take a look at the UFL's uniforms for the first season.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 25, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Let Shanahan make that decision....
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"So what number will Sam Bradford wear for us next year?"

Jevan Snead > Sam Bradford

in the pros...

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 25, 2009 8:47 AM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | August 25, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Snead, Bradford, McCoy or Tebow..
Whose the best fit for the Redskins??
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"So what number will Sam Bradford wear for us next year?"

Jevan Snead > Sam Bradford

in the pros...

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 25, 2009 8:47 AM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | August 25, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 25, 2009 8:54 AM

That's just not right. How does Original_etrod not make the team? You've been here for years, typing in the trenches with the rest of us. What doesn't help me is how often I've changed my posting name. I'm thinking I better uncloak one of my past identities, to claim my propers.

Hold out, my friend. No crap UFL for us. We may not be first teamers, but every so often, we can make a play. Oh yes. I'm working on my endzone dance right now.

Posted by: SonofNero | August 25, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

"Let Shanahan make that decision...."

Let a coach make a decision about a player?? You should take your own advice:

"Most tarded: skinsneedaGM"

I hope JC and Zorn are still here next year, so they won't have to draft one of these spread offense QB's...I think Snead will be the best because he plays under center more.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 25, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Alex, I three digited a coed once... well, a lot more than once...

...stank!

...maps...

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 25, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Shake it, shake a groove thing. Come on. Show me how to do it now. Shake a groove thing. Come on.

Posted by: SonofNero | August 25, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Yo Mayor, dig the format!

And I would like to thank my extra Chromosome, 21 for my most Retarded award! It taken practice, hard work and singularity of purpose to make the list of some faceless d-bag! I am humbled and honored!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 25, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

"Jevan Snead > Sam Bradford
in the pros...Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who"

He could be. There's a real problem with QBs coming out of the Big 12, where they have all those pass-happy offenses that put up forty or fifty points on half their opponents. Bradford is generally rated ahead of McCoy and Zac Robinson, another guy who operates from a gimmicky scheme. They're good QBs, but they're certainly not prepared for the pro offensive game.

I think that's why USC QBs are so highly valued by pro scouts. They're easier to evaluate.

Snead plays at Ole Miss, where they also use a scheme that's not so far from a pro set. As an athlete, he's no Tim Tebow, but as a QB prospect, he's way ahead.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 25, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Heres what I think (according to the whitewash fans of the redskins)

Here's what happened: Quarterback Jason Campbell completed 1 of 7 passes.

Here's what I think: Jason Campbell did a great job, he wears number 17 which is a great number on a Skins QB, especially if you want to buy the jerseys. He threw the ball and because it was covered in olive oil it slipped out of the WR's hands.

Here's what happened: Left tackle Chris Samuels has a sore right knee.

Here's what I think: Chris Samuels may be the best OT of all time, his knee will be fine as its made of the same stuff that wolverine's bones are made of. And he is such a good player he could play with out a knee.

Here's what happened: Chase vs Colt.
Here's what I think: We can keep both, the skins can keep as many players as they want, and we will be working on creating the machine from "The Fly" and hybrid the two together into a single creature a super 3rd string QB.

Here's what happened: Albert Haynesworth said he felt constricted because his jersey was too small, and they replaced it at half time.

Here's what I think: Good news we have 2 game worn jerseys from the game with Haynesworth name on them. Both on sale now at Redskins.com

Here's what happened: Malcolm Kelly Fred Davis Good.

Here's what I think: All bow down to the Cerrato hale him in all his GM'y goodness.

Here's what happened: Marko Mitchell continues his impressive showing.

Here's what I think: Mitchell will be better then Rice TO and Randy Moss combined. So buy your Mitchell Jersey now!

Posted by: alex35332 | August 25, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I think the thing that worries me most, even more than JC's subpar play so far, is Samuel's knee.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 25, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Alex--That is hilarious. You came back from vacation tan, rested, and ready to go!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 25, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Let me ask this question because I don't know the answer. Which of the receivers fighting for the 5th spot besides Eloi are special teamers? I know Hackett isn't.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 25, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

T_E
in the old days I think that would be a fake name post. Probably Dan_S or V_C or whatnot.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 25, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Guys I'm looking forward watching in the 3rd game.

Jason Campbell - Needs to get on track, by having some good production in this game.

Devin Thomas - Now that Kelly is improving, I'd like to see a big game in response to Kelly's challenge

Dorsey - I liked some of things he did in return last week. I'd like him to catch punts cleaner and explode through the coverage holes faster.

Mike Williams - I think he could be of use on short yardage and goal line plays this year. He needs to show the ability to dominate in the run game as well as improvement in his pass pro sets.

Lenny Holmes - Quietly having a good preseason. He needs to make a big time play to earn a spot on the 53 man roster.

Posted by: TWISI | August 25, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

The GreatOne1 thing made me laugh. Not gonna lie.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 25, 2009 6:28 AM

The GreatUnoUno?

(Ala OchoCinco)

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 25, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Where are the cult of Colt Brenan? Before Baltimore game, I predicted Colt will be humbled, well, did you hear him running his mouth lately? After the Steelers game, Colt will be lucky to make the practice squad. I predicted three months ago that Ladell Betts will not make 53 man roster with Marcus Mason replacing him, well, my prediction is still pending execution.

Posted by: abxinc | August 25, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 25, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I foresee Devin Thomas playing a lot of special teams this year.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 25, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 25, 2009 9:26 AM

Agreed. If Samuels misses time, we lose quality at BOTH tackle spots:
Samuels>Heyer
Heyer>Bridges
I suppose…..(If the depth chart really means anything).

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 25, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Greg Foster was just cut. He use to have potential. Bring him in as a backup? The starters are solidified......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 25, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

And Duckett was cut. Bring him in to compete with Betts.....

Then we can keep Mason (4 RBs total) and have our own 'Earth (TJ), Wind (Mason), & Fire(CP)'......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 25, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Foster, is he the cat used to play in Denver?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 25, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | August 25, 2009 9:32 AM

Maybe with all your extra time on vacation you also came up with FirstTimePoster?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 25, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

my prediction is still pending execution.

Posted by: abxinc | August 25, 2009 9:34 AM

Hey, we're all for the execution of your predictions.

buh-ZING!!!!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 25, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

And Duckett was cut. Bring him in to compete with Betts.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 25, 2009 9:38 AM |

This is a joke right? Anyone know which of the receivers fighting for the 5th spot play special teams?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 25, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 25, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Trent Shelton is supposed to be a good ST. Hagans was returning punts earlier in the year, but I not sure if he's still working at that job.

Posted by: TWISI | August 25, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Most valuable player: dcsween
Least valuable player: periculum
Most improved: Red DMV
Most outside the box: (tie) MistaMoe, vicc
etc.

Posted by: FirstTimePoster | August 25, 2009 6:22 AM

Posted by: SonofNero | August 25, 2009 8:47

Why are you sad about not making a list of all star psychopaths that are pending admission into St Elizabeth hospital for the insane.

Posted by: abxinc | August 25, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

FirstTimePoster:

RedSkinHead = Stupidest?

I was really shooting for most tarded...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 25, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Most valuable player: dcsween
Least valuable player: periculum
Most improved: Red DMV
Most outside the box: (tie) MistaMoe, vicc
etc.

Posted by: FirstTimePoster | August 25, 2009 6:22 AM

Posted by: SonofNero | August 25, 2009 8:47

Why are you sad about not making a list of all star psychopaths that are pending admission into St Elizabeth hospital for the insane?

Posted by: abxinc | August 25, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

scampbell1975 - It's doable. Rock never comes in offense anyway, but we can't cut him either because it seems like we are so thin at ST.

Eloi to the PS. Marko has earned his roster spot (so far).

Re: Sameuls - Just read the part about Sameuls. We may def need to bring in Foster. He has experince playing RT, since Heyer would move to LT....

Last Tidbit I read elsewhere: O'Halloran said that Cody Glenn is impressing players and coaches. So, it is a good chance RThomas AND Fincher could be gone......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 25, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

The Skins/Pats game will be TVed on CBS this Fri. It will give some of us non-local DC fans a chance to see Campbell in extended action against a pretty good defense. Will he sling it or wing it? Who knows? The NFLN broadcast of the Skins/Pitt game was terrible. The audio was intermittently dead. Of course with Theismann doing the color and Patrick the announcing maybe this was a blessing in disguise. Heh, heh. Had a chance last night to catch MNF for the first time. Gruden and Jaws are redundant.

Posted by: TLoad | August 25, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Randy Thomas isn't going anywhere...

Posted by: chrislarry | August 25, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

-Wasnt this the other way around at hte start of camp. Whats up with Devin he was far more productive last year(not saying much) then the others. Anyhow Marko has played well love to see him get more 1st team reps, time to start rewarding production not draft placement.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 25, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

4thFloor I'm about Foster. He hasn't been playing well for the last several years. He was with the Lions last year and was released, to be replaced by Jansen. He signed with the Browns this year and was released early. I think the writing is on the wall with this guy.

Posted by: TWISI | August 25, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Personally I love Patrick/Theisman and miss them as a national team.

Agree about Gruden/Jaws...they blow. F Jaws. Also their voices are sorta similar, they are both offensively oriented and both have hidenberg size egos. You can't even tell who is talking.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 25, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: abxinc | August 25, 2009 9:47 AM |

periculum has been incarcerated there for at least a year. Surprised the Frak did not make the list.

Posted by: TLoad | August 25, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

No, no - Frak did make the list - most improperly medicated or some such thing..

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 25, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I am actually typing this from my cell in Arkham Asylum. Damn man the Riddler will not shut across the Hall!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 25, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I was not really on vacation I was stuck at the Baltimore State Hospital for the Criminally Insane, but after Dr. Lecter started a riot we were all able to escape.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 25, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | August 25, 2009 8:17 AM |
-------------------------

Not a question of who it is as much as it a question of what it is.

Based on the post - it did the same thing last year - I'd say it's some shut-in twink who is attempting to relive high school, this time as one of the popular kids.

That is all.

(for now)

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | August 25, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

The GreatOne1 thing made me laugh. Not gonna lie.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 25, 2009 6:28 AM

Not going to lie that made me laugh

In the words of Almighty Borat

NOT

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 25, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Thanks TWISI. I figured he was done. But, we here @ the Washington Redskins believe in reclaimation projects (check the history) because we have our money tied up in so few players and reclaimation projects only require base salaries.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 25, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Guys I'm looking forward watching in the 3rd game.

Posted by: TWISI | August 25, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse
That's an interesting list, TWISI. I'm fairly confident that JC will improve in the next few weeks. The Oline is protecting, and several receivers are making plays. I like what I've seen from Kelly and Mitchell, and I was very surprised at Davis' play against Stillers. I'm disappointed in Thomas's play, and suspect that he will not pan out for us. Williams was an experiment, a great story, but I don't think we are going to see anything from him this year. Holmes will not make 53 man squad, but may make practice squad.

I'd add a couple of people to watch. Rinehart and Bridges seem to me performing well. I'd like to see Samuels sit out 2nd Q, and play Bridges and Heyer for a Q. And maybe insert Rinehart at RG at the same time.

I was also impressed with Jarmon's play. He seems to have some good speed.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 25, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

61st !!

Posted by: snickerbar | August 25, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Oh No! The parabola of mystery!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 25, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Randy Thomas isn't going anywhere...

Posted by: chrislarry | August 25, 2009 9:56 AM

I think he was referring to Robert Thomas the LB not OL. Hopefully the rookie LB's are good enough to stick.

If we need George Foster to get by this year we are in for a world of hurt.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | August 25, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

"Posted by: hailbg | August 25, 2009 8:04 AM"

Adding to FirtTimePoster's list:

Most underrated: hailbg

You pretty much perfectly summed up what I was trying to convey when talking the Campbell suiciders off the ledge yesterday. Well said.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Yo, heads up, I need one more player to round out the second (and in no way inferior) RI Fantasy Football League.

I shuffled things around so we'll have two leagues of 12 teams, but I need one more person to fill up the second league. No money is on the line, just bragging rights... and a modicum of trash talking.

Draft for this league is this Thursday, 10 Eastern/7 Pacific, so giddy up. First come, first served. nateinthepdx at gmail

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 25, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Here's what happened: Campbell threw the ball away on 2 screen passes.

Compare this to the play that JZ ran against Pittsburgh. 3 wide formation, 2 WR to the left. Collins takes the snap, turns left, then continues turning left and throws a blind pass to the WR on the right. 2 yards gained, at the risk of a pick-6, because Collins never had time to see how the WR was covered. That was a whacko play which should be ripped out of the playbook right now.

JZ did good at the begining of last year, but his playcalling got conservative and stale as the Redskins went into December. They need variations on their successful plays, ones that start the same but then exploit a defensive move that stymies the original.

Great example, the WR screen to Moss. For sure they'll run that this year, but I hope to gosh Zorn has the variation where the other receiver heads upfield rather than blocking. GB ran that at the end of last year and it worked like a charm...

Posted by: dpc2003 | August 25, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

It will be a great test on both sides of the ball. The Pats have a great offense and defense.

I'm hoping Dirty Thirty rips Wes Welker's head off.

I can't stand that little juicer.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | August 25, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 25, 2009 10:01 AM |

My bad. I did not see orig list. Thanks.

Posted by: TLoad | August 25, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I think he might have been referring to Devin Thomas.

On another note, I'm so tired of hearing that a player is "too short" to play in the league. Doug Flutie got frozen out of the NFL for a decade because of that thinking. Looking back on Flutie's pro football career (which ended on Belichick's Patriots team), two-thirds of the league would have been better off with Flutie at QB than whichever bum they had starting. I especially include the Redskins on that list.

So let's not be so quick to assume that height will prevent Chase Daniel from being a good QB in the NFL. Height is important, but it certainly isn't the sole determining factor for success at the position.

Posted by: jcabana | August 25, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

cL - I was talking Robert Thomas (LB). Randy is a beast. When CP26 swept right, RT77 pulled and wiped out 1 or 2 defensive players.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 25, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

dpc2003: "Here's what I think: JZ needs options on plays. Throwing the ball away in successive possesions, once trapped behind the 20, is unacceptable. JZ wasted too many plays last year, and it seemed to me it was because the QB didn't have an option. They were just supposed to work, like the 'ol Ball Coaches genius plays. I saw Chicago run a great variation on the WR screen against the GiANTs the other day. They put Olsen in the slot, and the D covered him with a safety 10 yards off the line. Cutler threw him a quick pass, almost a lateral, gaining 8 yards."

Here's what I think:

1. What the heck is Chicago doing running a tricky screen in a preseason game? Didn't they think the D-coordinators were watching on TV?

2. Why worry about JC throwing away a screen pass in the second preseason game? Who cares?

Y'know, Joe Gibbs would have let us see absolutely nothing of his offense before the season. That's not what exhibition games are about.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 25, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Nate,

I'll play if you don't mind having a b lister.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 25, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Down goes Aaron Ross
Posted by Mike Florio on August 25, 2009 9:30 AM ET
Giants starting cornerback Aaron Ross has gone down in practice on Tuesday morning with an apparent hamstring injury, according to both Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News and Mike Garafolo of the Newark Star Ledger. (We eye-talians have an apparent hammerlock on the NFL reporting industry.)

Vacchiano tweets that Ross "crumpled to the ground" and "[l]et out a pretty loud yell, too."

Garafolo says it "didn't look good" and that Ross was "not happy about it."

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 25, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | August 25, 2009 8:17 AM |

Definitely a sock puppet. There are some dudes with long sharp knives on the list and there are some RI bloggers that are soft targets who must be licking their wounds.

Posted by: TLoad | August 25, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Things are turning, friends.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I assure you, Budweiser is highly appropriate medication for any Redskin Fan..Back to you, Jim!!

Posted by: frak | August 25, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

re FTP list

best no one not on list

noonefromtampa of course

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 25, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

You know, I think if I were a coach in the NFL, my offense and defense would be pure vanilla wafer during preseason. I wouldn't let Steve Spagnuolo and those guys see a damn thing. The less they know for certain, the more they have to prepare for.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 25, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah...gotcha 4th...

Nate..which league is 4th in?

Posted by: chrislarry | August 25, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Things are turning, friends.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2009 10:36 AM

I highly agree. 80% of The Giants DLine is limping one way or the other. Alford is out for the season and he was their long snapper as well.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 25, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

cL, 4th is in the "Hamsters" league, which is the one I just invited you to join. I moved you both over from the "Peeps" league.

(In my head all of this made sense, honest.)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 25, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

"Ross appeared in and started 15 regular-season games last year, his second in the NFL. In 2007, he started nine regular-season games and three of four postseason games, including Super Bowl XLII.
Posted by: 4thFloor "

Sorry to hear this. The Jints don't have that many DBs to begin with. Ross is a good one.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 25, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

So Nate I am already in?

Posted by: chrislarry | August 25, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Samson151
I agree, except for the gimmick plays and random silliness that I would run that I will never do in the regular season.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 25, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

You needs to register, cL. I'll send the invite again. You and, like, four other teams still need to register. The clock, she's a-tickin'

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 25, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

"So now the Giants and Eagles are getting a bite of that injury bug, while the Redskins (knock on wood) seem to be holding pretty strong. Things are turning, friends. Posted by: psps23"

Oh jeez, bite your tongue. No tempting fate, which doesn't like us that much anyway.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 25, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

"Samson151
Posted by: alex35332 "

LOL okay they can run four consecutive Naked Statue of Liberty plays.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 25, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Wow, I can't believe people think that adding false start foster will improve the offensive line. How is he any better than Heyer, Bridges, or Williams? If we add anyone at all it should be Levi Jones, Jon Runyan, or Mark Tauscher. Levi could be moved to right tackle. He'd be an expensive right tackle but you could think of it as a Chris Samuels insurance policy. In the event that Samules goes down you could move Levi back to Left tackle and bring Heyer/Williams back in at right tackle. Bridges and Rhineart would be the backup guards and Devin Clark would be bagging groceries.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | August 25, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

LOL okay they can run four consecutive Naked Statue of Liberty plays.
Posted by: Samson151 | August 25, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I was thinking more flea flickers and down the field lateral type stuff.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 25, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Someone should shave Colt- he looks like Cornelius from Planet Of The Apes..Some football players can get away with a beard, like Dan Fouts (looks like a Civil War officer)..But Colt clearly reeks of the pongid, I hope his cage is clean..

Posted by: frak | August 25, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

With training camp winding down (actually, it’s over), I’ve come back (*try “returned”) to give you my annual appraisal of performances here on Redskins Insider. I can’t rate all of you because too many are nebbishes (*someone saw “The Graduate” a few times) with no personalities to speak of, but these bloggers stand out like my teal feathered boa.

Enjoy!

Most entertaining: talent_evaluator
Most aptly named: GreatOne1
Most unhinged: (tie) FIREJIMZORN, sportsguru
Worst record: 4-12
Best friend: 4thFloor
Most humorless: (tie) Barno 1, zcezcest
Worst speller: Alex35332 (since Jasno left)
Edgiest: TheTruth11
Friendliest: NateinthePDX
Thinnest skin: scampbell1975
Most bonus points: beantowngreg
Least to offer: BlackBagOps/LittleGreenBag/BaggerVance/etc.

Posted by: FirstTimePoster | August 25, 2009 10:50 AM |

Posted by: Rich_Milot | August 25, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Most retarded to most emotional...movin' on up!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 25, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

PAskinsfan17 - I am only suggestting for backup positions. You name players that are out of reach for us. Jones wants starting $$$. Runyun will go to the Iggles. And Mark Tauscher is either looking to be a starter or be paid like one. We are up against the cap pretty tight right now.....

Fred Miller and Jennings are available. Where is Wade when you need him?

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 25, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

TJ Duckett just got cut by the Seahawks.... think we could get him for a 5th round pick now, hope we move on it.

Sigh...imagine the offensive line depth we could have built with those pick we gave the Falcons.

Posted by: isnadd | August 25, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | August 25, 2009 10:38 AM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
good point Sammy...but, then there is the difference in Practice speed and Game speed.. Very different...
I'd try every play/gimmick in preseason and make the mistakes when they dont count. And see what works..

It was interesting to see how quick
Defensive Coordinators adjusted to Zorn's playcalling as game tapes accumulated and the Def coordinators learned from each others adjustments.. Besides OL issues.. this may of been the other reason for 6-2 to 2-6. It didnt take def coordinators too long to respond to the Skins in a passing down. Double Moss, block down Cooley, and watch JC double pump and dump.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | August 25, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

"Double Moss, block down Cooley, and watch JC double pump and dump.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM"

And this is where Kelly/Thomas/Davis/Mitchell are supposed to enter. So far, there have been encouraging signs.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

It's the start of the Marcus Mason love Train.... Next stop, who like to get on??

Key Points....
1) He will play well this weekend and he will run with the first team because it's time to see what he can do with the first group.
2) He will run well Friday night if the line provides meaningful blocks because the kid will make the right reads. Any running back is only as good as the line up front regardless of who you are. If he can make his first moves in the Line-backers area of the field then the kid will make things happen.
3) As I said before, this is his year and they took him off waivers for a reason and so far he has not disappointed the staff in their decision to bring him back.

The Train is pulling off after Friday's game so get on now. He will prove he is ready to make a team and contribute......

Posted by: thebanker21 | August 25, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

phew, I've made it past BOTH lists!!

I am a NORMAL HUUMAAN after all. Awwwriiight.

Hey, had this little scenario pop into my head last nite - wotcha think?

The controversy in Philly leads to McNabb wanting out. Do we pick him up? He'd be a good fit for WCO.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 25, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

or the picks we gave up to select JC...
1st, 3rd, 4th..
Denver used the Skins 4th round pick to get all pro WR Brandon Marshall.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: isnadd | August 25, 2009 10:58 AM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | August 25, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I think the only way Mason makes the roster is if someone goes for Betts.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 25, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

You needs to register, cL.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 25, 2009 10:44 AM |

Failed grade school grammar?

Posted by: TLoad | August 25, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

But Leon Washington carried Sanchez somewhat..Let's see how Colt and Chase do with Clinton Funkadelic..

Posted by: frak | August 25, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

"Besides, to use your example, what do you hide, or hold back from Spags in the first regular game of the season, if its not against his team?? He'll be sure to get that game tape and others before the Skins play him. posted by skinsneedagm"

We play Spagnuolo in the second game. For the Giants, I'd make sure they saw absolutely nothing of a two TE formation, and very little of our protection schemes. I'd want them to see no blitzes except the most milquetoast. You can play plenty hard and fast and evaluate players without making use of fancy stuff.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 25, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

beep peeb

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 25, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I mean I wouldn't want the Jints to see any of the Zorn playbook they didn't see last year, until it's staring them in the face during the first game.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 25, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Most humorless: (tie) Barno 1, zcezcest

Posted by: Rich_Milot | August 25, 2009 10:51 AM |

I think you meant Most Humor: Barno

At least that's what Chris Cooley thinks...

Posted by: Barno1 | August 25, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Yeh, I didn't watch much of the game last night, but I was minesculely vindicated that Sanchez stunk it up early.

Granted, it's not an indicator of future performance. But I'd like to think sticking w/ Soup was a least a defendable position, if not a correct one.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 25, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

If Samuels knee is already acting up, we almost definitely need a solid backup OT, through trade , free agency, or something..

Posted by: frak | August 25, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

4thFloor - I am only suggestting for backup positions. You name players that are out of reach for us. Jones wants starting $$$. Runyun will go to the Iggles. And Mark Tauscher is either looking to be a starter or be paid like one. We are up against the cap pretty tight right now.....

Fred Miller and Jennings are available. Where is Wade when you need him?

----------------------------------

I don't know about being out of reach. He's probably looking for 5 million a year. I think we have 2 million left over this year. I don't think it's impossible to come up with 3 million. You could do a longer term contract with a small first year payment (2 million) then a bigger payment next year if he's still here (8 million). They could restructure a couple contracts. They could cut or trade players. I just don't see the point in adding more backups. I think we have plenty of backup caliber players. I'd like to see another starter added. Adding a starter immediately makes Heyer a backup. Heyer is a great backup. Williams and Bridges are good backups too. Adding a starter automatically makes our depth a lot better. I'd rather push down from the top then up from the bottom.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | August 25, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Hey tjzukoski..
So, Here's What I Think, tjzukoski..
Bro, Read all his post there negative, ok he did give Chase Daniel some props.

Posted by: tjzukoski | August 25, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 25, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse
Absolutely, but it's not going to happen. McNabb is one he// of a competitor. And can we fit him under our cap?

Posted by: frediefritz | August 25, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I am disappointed I did not win for best "case scenarios"

Posted by: ElYeah | August 25, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse