Shanahan expresses 'admiration' for Campbell

During his media availability at the scouting combine, Coach Mike Shanahan revealed the Redskins plan to tender a contract to quarterback Jason Campbell, who could become a restricted free agent next week.

Shanahan expects Campbell "to be here," and he has "big admiration for Jason and how he's handled himself through some very tough situations with a beat-up offensive line and the way he's handled himself as a quarterback."

Tendering Campbell a contract, however, is not the same thing as negotiating an extension with his agent. The Redskins are speaking with the agent for center Casey Rabach, who can become an unrestricted free agent, and are expected to shift their focus from the combine to free agency in meetings early next week at Redskins Park.
Campbell hopes his situation will be resolved soon.

"I understand it's a process and I'm just going to let Joel [Segal, his agent] handle everything," Campbell said in a telephone interview after Shanahan's press conference. "I know I've given my all to the organization, I've never blamed anyone when things have been tough, and I just keep moving on and pressing forward. I just hope it will all work out. I think it will work out."

By Jason Reid, with video by Rick Maese  |  February 26, 2010; 3:55 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid , Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Will you watch the combine this weekend?
Next: Rabach 'encouraged' that a Redskins deal can be done

Comments

first, second, third....

Posted by: tony325 | February 26, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan: I love Jason. I love the way he plays, his toughness, his overall ability to make plays. Just sign here, Jason. That's right. You da man. Yep.

Bruce Allen: Hello, Buffalo? We have him inked, now let's talk about the trade.

Shanahan: Could you show me that tape of Bradford again?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 26, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I second that Jasons.

Posted by: periculum | February 26, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

even if they sign bradford(not with the 4th pick I hope) he will NOT start in 2010 anyway, draft down get more picks fix o-line and get a young rb also. If the o-line is not better in 2010 bradford will not last for 4 quarters. don't be surprised if shanahan drafts a qb who is not amongst the ones regularly mentioned as the top of the line qb's..all good qb's were not drafted in the 1st round.

Posted by: wathu19 | February 26, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Pa17- Collins had a 15 yr career, not too shabby. He was behind some pretty good QBs earlier in his career and then JC most recently. People will speculate, but he couldn't beat out JC for the job either. Pretty good career, but he should and will be cut.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

The statement was that Pike is compared to Collins. That comes off as sounding bad because it implies that Pike will always be a backup but I'm suggesting that the reason TC was always a backup was because he was put into a power run scheme from the get go and didn't have the arm strength to make it work. That's why he threw so many picks. He just can't throw hard enough. Pike is the same way. It's too late for Collins but not for Pike. I wouldn't mind if we took Pike later in the draft. I'd take him with a 3rd but we don't have one. If he falls to the 4th I'd be happy if we took that gamble. He can ride the pine a while and I think he can bulk up a little. He has accuracy, timing, and a quick release. He's built for a WCO.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 26, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Sign JC to a 2 year deal, and draft a late round QB. Concentrate on the O-LINE!!!!!

Posted by: Salinas1 | February 26, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

USA 6 Finland O 2:00 left Second Period

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Posted by: croftonpost | February 26, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Did Shanahan outline any expectations for RI?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | February 26, 2010 3:35 PM

He said he only wants posts from people who live in the area. He's tired of out-of-towners wiseing-off all the time.

Good luck, John D, posting on the Houston website.

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Just for that, I'm calling my brother in Marriotsville and telling him, I'm moving back!

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | February 26, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Bruce Allen: Hello, Buffalo? We have him inked, now let's talk about the trade.

Shanahan: Could you show me that tape of Bradford again?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 26, 2010 4:05 PM

Pathetic but so true. Get this poor kid a second chance somewhere else asap.

Posted by: sthai75 | February 26, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

"I know I've given my all to the organization, I've never blamed anyone when things have been tough, and I just keep moving on and pressing forward. I just hope it will all work out. I think it will work out." - Jason Campbell

Yeah, riiiight, JC. This falls in line perfectly with the "it's not fair" pissing you were doing a few weeks back.

4th, what makes you beleive that Snyder still consults Cerrato? Based on what? I don't get that.

Maybe they're still cool or whatever, but that doesn't mean that Snyder still asks Vinny stuff regarding football.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 26, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Just watched Russell Okung bench 225 38 times , Draft this man 4th overall

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 26, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

JC will be the starting QB for the Skins in 2010, get over it.

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 26, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Just watched Russell Okung bench 225 38 times , Draft this man 4th overall

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 26, 2010 4:27 PM

Wouldn't mind that at all. Hopefully Detroit doesn't feel the same way.

Posted by: sthai75 | February 26, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I know!

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 26, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

We should resign Rabach, if he gets beat out in camp or preseason fine. It could be a lot worse.

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 26, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 26, 2010 4:19 PM

The comparison to Collins implies that he is accurate and makes good decisions but has a noodle arm and lacks mobility. He is also 6'6 and weighs about 215.

I don't like Pike… he is a product of the spread, lacks arm strength, physical strength, has zero mobility, and was completely exposed against the gators.

Scouts take:
“Pike projects strictly as a career backup in the NFL. He simply doesn't possess even an average arm to be a starter. Pike can be somewhat reliable since he makes great decisions and is highly intelligent, but he lacks a lot of talent, and you can't coach talent. I project Pike to come off the board between the third and fifth rounds.”

I’d much rather take LeFevour if we can somehow get a 3rd in a deal or Snead if he is available in the 4th.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Just watched Russell Okung bench 225 38 times , Draft this man 4th overall

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 26, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Bench press is most overrated measurable they have at these things.

But 38 reps at 225 is still impressive.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 26, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

There lies the core problem. You have no voice, you have all the physical abilities to be a NFL QB, but you lack true leadership and confidence to say hey, I'm getting a raw deal here. Speak out against all that has contribute to your demise and for goodness sake put your teamates in check if they missed their assignments. Just be a leader. Don't let CP26 piss on you. don't let Dan snyder undermind you, well that part you're shat out of luck.

Posted by: sthai75 | February 26, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I totally agree bench press is overrated but 38 times very impressive

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 26, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Pike right now is any good. I think he'd be a project. He'd need to bulk up.

As far as the Lions are concerned they could take Okung but they still have to pay Backus and I think upgrading Gravy Jackson may be better than upgrading Backus. I think they'll go for McCoy. They could easily have a decent front 4 on defense. I think they'll take the D tackle in the first then a runnig back in the third and then try to get some interior linemen later. They could actually be decent in a year or two.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 26, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Rabach Beeps

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh lord! Don't do it Shanny. Cambpells a coach killer. The ONLY way I'd keep him is if he will be a backup, 3rd string. Anything else is just retarded thinking.

Posted by: mgilbo | February 26, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

How many starting NFL QBs are the ones people talk about pre-draft? the ones that are sure bets 1st rounders, etc. If Brady went in the 6th, no one was talking about him. What was the kid drafted by Detroit the year we drafted Ramsey. Joey harrington. Remember he was can't miss. He's out the league now. Look at David Carr. both of those guys got drafted, played behind POOR OL and became shell shocked and ruined.

Now take Matt Schaub, sat for 3 years at UVA, started 1 year, sat for a few years in ATL, and is now a bright up and coming QB in the NFL!!!

We need to assess talent and stop going for media darlings. My goodness, some folks were screaming for Tebow months ago and I could have vetod that after his freshman year. the game is about talent, not name.

Jason Campbell is not great, but he is not the weakest link on this Redskin team.

Posted by: oknow1 | February 26, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

It's pretty clear to me that Coach Shanahan, while being very respectful to Jason Campbell, is not brimming with enthusiasm at the thought of handing the keys to the offense to him. I think that it is very likely that the team is going to draft a quarterback. I think that Campbell will be traded before the season starts, and that Todd Collins will be the caretaker quarterback. Colt Brennan will get a fair opportunity to compete for the starting position as well, and I think he could be a true diamond if given a chance. Though Jason Reid is not a fan, John Madden certainly is.

Posted by: shane2229 | February 26, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Also, Shanahan put his faith in Brian Griese, Jake Plummer and who else before drafting Jay Cutler. for him to work with JC is no big stretch.

Posted by: oknow1 | February 26, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

There's a fairly persistent rumor out there that McNabb could be had... that is, if someone offered Philly the right deal. Wonder if they'd take our starting QB, RB, and strong safety for him...

Posted by: Vic1 | February 26, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Why is everyone not realizing we lost games because of big plays on defense. Everyone gets are OL is bad, but campbell with a good line does not translate neccesarily to a good offense. There were countless times ol protected and campbell did not find the open reciever. An eric berry means a dominate defense that can take us to the playoffs. If we had eric berry our defense would be able to be a raven super bowl defense. Campbell would have play role of Trent Dilfer played in the ravens superbowl win. We can then draft ol in the second round and also in free agency as well. Eric berry will have an impact like orakapo and we will be able to put laron landry at his natural position. Please fans join the eric berry bandwagon. Anyone make comments if agree or disagree?
I am not saying that its a superbowl team this comparing the possibilty of a superbowl defense.

Posted by: skinsfanforlife1 | February 26, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfanforlife1 | February 26, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Is it possible all the quarterback talk is a smokescreen and they eventually take Okung?? Especially if Bradford is taken 1st. I just can't see them taking Clausen at #4.

Posted by: dcwizard | February 26, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwizard | February 26, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Why are we all talking about the draft when Free Agency starts in a week?

If you want some insight into who the Skins might draft in that precious #4 slot, the free agents they sign and pursue should give you an inkling.

Discuss....