Zorn: Davis is Redskins' most improved player

Second-year tight end Fred Davis has been a force in the mid-range passing game since Pro Bowl tight end Chris Cooley suffered a season-ending injury. In fact, Davis is the Redskins' most-improved player, according to Coach Jim Zorn.

"I would say he is," Zorn said. "He really has had some tough games, and competed well both as a blocker and a pass catcher. He has learned his assignments and doesn't make many errors.

"I have been very impressed. I've been impressed with his effort from the start of the game to the end of the game. He wants the ball and he wants to do well. It's important to him."

For Davis's sake, hopefully Mike Shanahan will view him similarly.

Vote for player of the decade

With your help, we chose 16 Redskins from the 2000s and your voting will determine which was the best of the decade.

By Jason Reid  |  December 24, 2009; 7:42 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Suisham joins Cowboys
Next: Snyder: Michael 'consummate reporter, valuable friend'

Comments

The closing quote of the video pretty much sums it up...

"Aaahh, whatever, it's a mess."

Merry Christmas RI.

Posted by: swowra | December 24, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

But don't count on Suisham for that crucial FG to win a playoff game.

Posted by: tundey | December 24, 2009 8:21 AM

Suisham will NEVER get a chance to choke on a crucial FG. Romo won't get the ball down for him. The Clutch Brothers are reunited!

Posted by: League-Source | December 24, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

For Davis's sake, hopefully Mike Shanahan will view him similarly.

By Jason Reid | December 24, 2009; 7:42 AM ET

Huh? Mike Shanahan? Is this the Washington Post or Pro Football Talk? Used to be that we got all this mumbo-jumbo about "we have to confirm our stories before we publish them." Now anything goes?

Posted by: League-Source | December 24, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

League-Source embrace the Mike Shanahan era. I have a feeling this team's mediocrity will soon end.

Posted by: TWISI | December 24, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source

You are so right LS. The WaPo standards seem to be a moving target. Isn't it about time for another lazy poll post? They are never first on a story and now this?

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 24, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Couple thoughts on this:

1) Brian Mitchell- Loved you on the field, but come off the tough guy, I'm gonna kick some azz and let everyone know routine. You sound like a self-promoting idiot.

2) I'm torn on the Rooney Rule...We've got so many unemployed coaches with super bowl rings, it's tough not to want to act fast. I understand and appreciate the spirit and the need for the rule, but there has to be another way to promote minority hiring besides making owners interview people they know they don't want to hire...and for legitimate reasons. No way I'm hiring Jerry Gray before Shanahan...and I'm the blackest of black men:)

Posted by: rickyroge | December 24, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Dang Ricky. And all of this time I thought you were a white dude....... :-)

I agree on "honoring the spirit of the rule". At some point this rule goes away. The benefit that a Jerry Gray may get from conducting an interview that he knows that he will not get hired for is the experience of the interview. Word is one of the reasons that he didn't get the Memphis job b/c he did not interview as well as he should have. I think that is a very important part of the rooney rule. Give someone the experience that otherwise may not get it. It also puts "the name" out in the press as a potential candidate.

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | December 24, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Post Modern Brilliance

Did anyone else see Riggo's post where he called the debacle on monday nite the "Poop Blizzard"? hahahahah.

He also thinks Zoron was basically running that game as a big 'up yours' to Snydley. I suppose it's fitting, but can you really see anyone else going for Zoron at this point?

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 24, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Couple thoughts on this:

Posted by: rickyroge | December 24, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

That's like asking Jerry Seinfeld to just drop the whole stand-up comic routine.

If BMitch isn't a shout-you-down blow-hard tough guy from the Screamin' A. Smith School of SportsTalk, then he's got no schtick.

Frankly, I got tired of it around the time that it began...

Posted by: p1funk | December 24, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 24, 2009 9:19 AM

This is something that a half-wit like Riggins would do -- chop off his own head to spite his face. "I'm going on national TV and make a fool of myself. That will show Snyder." All it did was to make Snyder look smart for seeking a new head coach.

Zorn has a future in the league, as a QB coach. Riggins has no future in the league. Only a past.

Posted by: League-Source | December 24, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Vengemeat for Finkelstein..'.tis the season..

Posted by: frak | December 24, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Zorn has a future as a QB coach?

Based on what? Trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole? His total lack of confidence in Campbell despite having the guy for 2 years? The reason the playcalling got better is that Sherm started calling to Campbell's strengths, instead of some kind of BS vision Zorn has of what should work.

Look. Zorn's best move now is to try to coach somewhere in the NCAA for a while. Based on what he's done here, and the fact that he was surrounded by talent in Seattle without having major responsibilities, is going to convince a lot of people he doesn't have "it". I'm convinced.

I thought Norv was the worst hire, but JZ beats him six ways to Sunday.

I admire the patience of Dan Snyder, after that poop blizzard, I'd have fired him in the locker room in front of his players. Yes, it would have been petty revenge, but very satisfying.

After firing Zorn, I would have given JC17 major props for being the toughest QB the Redskins have had in my lifetime.

Argh. Now comes Dallas. Please Santa, bring us a win.

Posted by: dpc2003 | December 24, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

The Player of the decade has got some interesting matchups. But is there any doubt that ST21 will win? I dont care how brief his stint was. That kid had HOF talent, and it frustrates me every time I see a Landry Ole'!!!

Posted by: Club320 | December 24, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I think Zorn will get an OC job somewhere. Maybe Cleveland. He should have been an OC in DC, and all of us were excited about that.

Now that he has head coaching experience as far as game planning and whatnot, his stock as a coordinator only goes up. Plus his resume shows steady improvement from his QBs over the years, so it's not like the man doesn't have upside in the right organization.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 24, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Club320

I'd sooner vote for Chris Samuels or even Jansen.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 24, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Worst hire was Spurrier. Worst debacle is def. Zorn era. Even though he didn't work out, you kinda knew that coming in. W/ Spurrier, he shoulda been better.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 24, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I'd sooner vote for Chris Samuels or even Jansen.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 24, 2009 10:00 AM
Thats cause yer old. JK!

Posted by: Club320 | December 24, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Why in the WORLD would Zoron the Moron get a OC position?!? He can't run a 2 minute drill. His play calling was horrendous. Pretty much every decision he made was the wrong one.

Any team that picks him after this performance deserves him.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 24, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

i'm older and I'm looking at a decade or so of greatness. I wish we'd had a decade of ST.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 24, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Yeah the ST vote would be more based on mythos than performance. +1 for Samuels. Drafted in 2000, six Pro Bowls without ever being on a dominant offensive team, 8 years of solid service... book it.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 24, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

WERD, 65!

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 24, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

It's like that old Carpenter's song,

"Hangin' around,
Nothin' to do but frown,
Destroyed skyscrapers on Monday
Always get me down..."

Posted by: frak | December 24, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

zorn will be on the cleveland browns' staff next season... book it...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | December 24, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

It has to be Samuels! I honestly do not believe there is a close 2nd. He has been the only staple through this "Lost Decade"

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | December 24, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

In very sad news, DCRTV reporting Breaking News: Legendary Channel 4/WRC sportscaster George Michael has died. http://dcrtv.com

Redskins Report was always a personal favorite and Michael was for most of my life the local sportscaster I turned to for my Redskins TV news.

Posted by: rawk | December 24, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I remember driving up from SC and taking my kids to trainging camp and ST walked by. He looked like a linebacker!
Really tragic. I'm old enough to remember the Len Bias tragedy too. Different circumstance for sure, but tragic just the same.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 24, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Fred Davis is definitely the most improved player on offense. The guy has only been starting since Captain Chaos was injured (although he started in two games prior), and in those six straight starts, Fred has six TDs and is leading the team in TDs.

Andre Carter is the most improved on defense IMHO.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | December 24, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

OMG about george michael though i checked nbc4 and wtop and they haven't reported it yet. wow!

Posted by: dealer1 | December 24, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 24, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse
-------------------------------------

Spurrier made the mistake of bringing in his college staff. If Spurrier had attempted to find a pro staff to work with, The Ol' Ball Coach might have done a bit better.

Anyway, Spurrier had a better team than Zorn does, so I find it curious that Snyder wanted Spurrier back for season 3 but wanted to axe Zorn after 1.

But that just brings us back to Vinny The-Rat-O working his way up Danny's leg. Season 1 of Zorn showed the lack of depth at RG, RT, and LT, and what does Vinny replace? LG. Brilliant! No, it is the 'Vinny Era' which is so horrible.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 24, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

zorn will be on the cleveland browns' staff next season... book it...

as a fcking tard waterboy!

merry christmas everybody! :)

Posted by: dealer1 | December 24, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Very surprising indeed. DC Sports Bog now also reporting George Michael has died.

Posted by: rawk | December 24, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Merry Christmas everyone. HTTR.

Posted by: TWISI | December 24, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

www.noradsanta.org

my kids love tracking Santa!

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 24, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I think Zorn will get an OC job somewhere. Maybe Cleveland.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 24, 2009 9:57 AM

I can't see it after the performance he put in here. Maybe Holmgren can overlook it, but there is nothing he did in DC that would suggest he'd make a competent OC.

Posted by: League-Source | December 24, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

George Michael, the Sports Machine, died? Damn. I remember him back in the day with Redskins Report and Full Court Press.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | December 24, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Tragic about "Sprotz-Machine" Michaels. Kinda a pro-genator of sprotz networks.

Hail GM
Hail Samules
Hail to the Redskins

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 24, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

R!P George Michael,

You were my remembrance of a SportsCaster!!!

You'll be m!ssed

Posted by: Lipty | December 24, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I loved everything George Michael did on TV and missed it when he retired. I especially missed his Saturday night Redskins report. Great entertainment and I always learned something new about my favorite team. Thanks for all you did for us, George.

Posted by: League-Source | December 24, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 24, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I used to have FedEx seats in lower bowl by Skins sideline.

When you saw ST21 walking around next to the other players he looked like a freakish abberation.

He was as big as LaVar Arrington. Not as wide at the shoulders, a little lankier, but his body frame was as big.

He was a hulk compared to the other DBs.

Posted by: p1funk | December 24, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Player of the decade has to be Samuels. I love Sean Taylor like a fat kid loves cake, but Samuels is the only guy on that list who has been here the whole time playing at an elite level. I'd put Cooley second and Portis third and the Reaper at #4.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 24, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

When I was a kid, my parents used to let me stay up until "The Sports Machine" went off.

Thanks 4Everything Mr. Michael!

Posted by: Lipty | December 24, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

George Michael died? WTF? Damn.

He was a DC Icon, right up there with Chuck Brown, Ian McKay and Marion Berry.

RIP George.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 24, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Off to the Big Sports Machine in the Sky! RIP G. Michael

Posted by: chrislarry | December 24, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Riggins rulz
LS drulz

BMitch rulz
Ricky & P1 drul...there good dudes...but I love me some Bmitch...different strokes...

And all those that didn't think the shanahan joke at the end of this post was chuckle-worthy...lighten the heck up huh....its Football not middle east peace. Its a blog..."snarky" is part of its DNA.

Happy Christmas eve toolz!!!!! (and I mean that)

F work!

Posted by: chrislarry | December 24, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Chris Larry back with his Christmas eve girlie slaps for everyone in sight. Happy holidays to you to, Winkie.

And the Shanahan reference was a "joke"? Hey, Winkie, a joke is something that people laff at.

Posted by: League-Source | December 24, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Is there any way to read these posts without that annoying video taking up screen space? TIA.

Posted by: themantoyou | December 24, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I think the Rooney rule is stupid. The fact that you have to interview a minority "candidate" is the root of the problem. If Tony Dungy felt emasculated is his own insecurity and should not reflect badly on the team that interviewing him because it is the NFL that made that rule. If a minority candidate is qualified for the job and a good hire, they will get the job. In this case, everyone knows that Mike Shanahan is who Snyder wants as the head football coach, not Jerry Gray or Morrocco Brown etc...Dan HAS to comply with this rule - which draws undue speculation that Danny is a racist...Dumb rule! And if you feel as though you are not a serious contender for the job - decline the interview! don't interview and they cry about it and say how "emasculated" you are...

Posted by: fullonfully | December 24, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

"Word is one of the reasons that he didn't get the Memphis job b/c he did not interview as well as he should have"

Sure - they asked him "What would you do if the opposing team had good WRs?" and he answered, "Let them run right past my guys - over and over again."

Posted by: AlohaFan | December 24, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse