Zorn describes his sideline role

For the first time in 23 games as head coach of the Redskins, Jim Zorn will not be involved in play-calling Monday night against the Philadelphia Eagles at FedEx Field.

Stripped of those duties, Zorn will oversee new play-caller Sherman Lewis and offensive coordinator Sherman Smith, who will relay the calls to quarterback Jason Campbell, and focus on the big picture of the game.

"It's going to be very easy," Zorn said. "Here's what I'm going to do: I'm going to support the guy calling plays. And then in between the series, we'll be communicating and I'll be communicating to him, and then we'll start working on the plan for the next series.

"I'll be talking to the players. There's a lot to do. I'll be attentive to what I have to do while our offense is on the sideline. Because when you're a play-caller, you're concentrating. ... I'm just going to keep quiet" about play-calling.

By Jason Reid  |  October 25, 2009; 3:30 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gibbs addresses those Redskins rumors
Next: Tale of the tape: 2 guys, 4 quarters

Comments

Pulling an "I told you so" about your sh!tty favorite team is like phuking the hot girl at the bar and finding out she's a tranny. Sure you got laid but was it worth it?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 25, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

"Here's what they're doing, and here's what I want us to do to take advantage of that."
I've seen no evidence that Zorn has been thinking or saying that, and it's at least one thing that we've been desparately missing.

Posted by: daggar | October 25, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Yea, that's frickin' hilarious. Our QB sucks and so does our whole offense but thank God you were right about it. Ha ha ha, tell me another one you a$$.

Posted by: scampbell1975

But how can our whole offense suck if our WR's are getting open scamp? We agree on the QB sucking, but not the whole offense.

I know I was right about JC17, but I certainly don't thank God for that. And I wouldn't have to keep repeating that fact if JC17 backers wouldn't keep repeatedly blaming someone else for his struggles.

Shame on you Scamp, cuz you know damn well I'm not one of the cynical fans up here who brag about predicting doom and gloom for the 'Skins.

Posted by: Vicc | October 25, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

JC17 is a victim of a bad system, but he also has shown that he's not the future of the team either. I'm not convinced that he has what it takes to lead the team into the future after this season.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 25, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Alright vicc I'll give you the free pass on that cuz you don't usually pull that sh!t. I just get tired of every time I get on here these days someone pulling an "I told you so" when we're all right. This team sucks all around and I told you so don't mean sh!t and doesn't help.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 25, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

All the early games except MIN-PIT and SF-HOU seem to be blowouts.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 25, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Zorn should be watching the game and blogging with us. If he watched the game he'd see how it should be done. And if he blogged with us, we'd explain to him how to do it.

Posted by: League-Source | October 25, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Bringing in a new coach and not changing players won't help either. We have mediocre talent and unless the new coach brings new, better players it will still take time to right this ship.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | October 25, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

So, who's gonna call timeouts? Who's gonna decide whether to go for 4th and short or to kick a field goal?...

Posted by: fnralch | October 25, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fnralch | October 25, 2009 3:52 PM

Me mutha phuka!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 25, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

The offense needs to be blown up. In the offseason I would trade every player on the offense except for Chris Cooley, LaDell Betts, and Mike Sellers.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 25, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm so angry!!!! Chargers 37, Kansas City- 7!!!!!!!

Oh and St. Louis continues to lose by 30 in every game except the Redskins.

wow we're horrible.

Posted by: rachel216 | October 25, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | October 25, 2009 3:52 PM

You know, we need a lot of new players mainly on offense. But every team has "mediocre talent" at a lot of positions. The point of a team though is that they play better together than they do individually. I think with Zorn, though, they've played worse together than they do individually. Bad chemistry, bad attitude, bad play-calling. He doesn't bring out the best in his players.

Posted by: League-Source | October 25, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

"...This team sucks all around and I told you so don't mean sh!t and doesn't help." - Posted by: scampbell1975

`
Kool.

I totally agree with you here. When I called out Brownwood26 for his constant negativity, he came at me hard and even sicked some of his blog-bosom buddies on me.

Every analogy I threw at him about how fighting and bickering didn't help a bad situation was irrelevant. Brownwood likened my idea of 'negative energy' affecting our players to a child believing in Santa Claus.

You see how everyone dogged Barno for calling out negative fans.

Posted by: Vicc | October 25, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Go Skins - pull off the upset.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | October 25, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

correction- except against the redskins

wow big ben just fumbled!!

Posted by: rachel216 | October 25, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: daggar | October 25, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Yes, and this seems like something New Sherm has been very good at doing in the past. Without over-thinking packages and worrying about what to call next, Zorn should be better at making other game time decisions as well. As long as the play calling is timely, I think this has a decent chance of working. It'd be hard to be worse than KC/TB (first half).

Posted by: RomoLongballs | October 25, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Bad chemistry, bad attitude, bad play-calling.
--------------------------------------------

Clinton Portis fits this definition to a T. I blame Snyder for enabling him to undermine the coach in public, to demand that other players be benched, and to receive special treatment. Portis is a negative influence on the team.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 25, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Now Go Falcons.

Only for 2day.

Posted by: Vicc | October 25, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

That DAL stadium is so obnoxious.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 25, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I heard that Gibbs wants to hire JC as a mechanic for his racing team. Now there is a guy who knows talent.

Posted by: opita1 | October 25, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

one of the problems I've seen is our overal team speed seems slower than the better teams. Betts, Cooley, Sellars, Randal El, are some examples

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | October 25, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Adrian Peterson is AMAZING. I love Laron but we missed out on an amazing player.

Posted by: rachel216 | October 25, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

noooooo! wow pit's defense is crazy good.

Posted by: rachel216 | October 25, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Tuesday's headline: BINGO!

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | October 25, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

jiacinto,

`
I honestly think Portis' production since he's been with the team has enabled him. He wouldn't have that luxury otherwise.

LT in San Diego received the same type of treatment when it came to preseason and practice.

Posted by: Vicc | October 25, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

BrooklynSkins- hopefully!

Posted by: rachel216 | October 25, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Vicc--Portis's production, while above average, doesn't rise to the level of backs like Adrian Peterson and others. Snyder should never have enabled him to have those luxuries. Portis is our TO--nothing but a troublemaker whose best playing days are behind him.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 25, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

If that's how you feel jiacinto, then Joe Gibbs should be at fault as well for not keeping his players in check the way someone like say Coughlin, Singletary, or even Parcells woulda.

Posted by: Vicc | October 25, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I want JC to just wing that ball around there Monday.. I dont care if he has 5 INT's... As long as he aint dumping it down to betts every freaking play....

We might as well see how athletic these recievers are now.........

Posted by: cocodc1 | October 25, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

"I'm also gonna run to the concession stand and get Sherm's coffee."

I like Zorn. Horrible he's being publicly humiliated, aside from his abilities (or lack of abilities) as a coach.

Good news is that $nyder/Cerrato are being KILLED on every NFL-related show...

Posted by: nojunk4me | October 25, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

T.O. shut his face while Parcells was coaching him.

Posted by: Vicc | October 25, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to bring in an extra pair of eyes to watch the game for me tomorrow night.

Posted by: PDiddy | October 25, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Vicc--I blame Snyder for it because he allowed Portis to go on his own radio station to trash the coach. I blame Snyder for not backing the coaches when Portis would open his mouth.

For example, after the recent incident where Portis tried to have Sellers removed out of the game, if I had been Snyder, I would have called Portis into my office and put him in his place. I would have told him that Zorn is the coach, not him.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 25, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Yes! Atlanta in red zone already!

Posted by: rachel216 | October 25, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

TD Roddy White! Beat the Cowgirls in their retarded stadium!!

Posted by: rachel216 | October 25, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Zorn can order pizza for half time.
Will Zorn decide whether we call heads or tails on the coin flip.
I hope we don't get a delay of game while they decide.

Posted by: jmy999 | October 25, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Will Zorn decide whether we call heads or tails on the coin flip.
I hope we don't get a delay of game while they decide.

Posted by: jmy999 | October 25, 2009 4:30 PM

No. "Lucky" Dan Snyder will continue to call the coin flip. This is one of his strengths.

Posted by: League-Source | October 25, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Justin Fargus, Cedric Benson, and Ricky Williams are all playing better than Clinton Portis.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 25, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

WOW!!! Michael Crabtree had 5 catches for 56 yards in his 49ers debut. He did that after missing all of training camp and two weeks of the regular season. Have our 3 second round pass catching clowns put up stats like that combined???

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | October 25, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975

Well you certainly seem to be speaking from experience. So, was it worth it?

Posted by: TheCork | October 25, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

The Saints have been taken to the woodshed so far by the Miami Dolphins.

Funny how a team suddenly looks ordinary once they get their azz beat.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 25, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fnralch |

Hot dog guy.

Posted by: TheCork | October 25, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fnralch |

The owner of Eastern Motors, by way of Tweets.

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | October 25, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Will Sherm give Zorn his balls back after the game?

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | October 25, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

"Stripped of those duties, Zorn will oversee new play-caller Sherman Lewis"
_________________

Lemme get this straight... So you'll be overseeing the oversee-er, Mr. Zorn? Are either of you related to the Marx Bros, by any chance?

Posted by: chasgiffen | October 25, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

"WOW!!! Michael Crabtree had 5 catches for 56 yards in his 49ers debut. Have our 3 second round pass catching clowns put up stats like that combined???"

Yeah I know.

And if you want to cry, compare the stats of the undrafted Pierre Garcon ('08) to those of Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 25, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I have nothing positive to say about the Washington Redskins.

But I do have this to say:

GO Yanks!!!!!!!!!!

Like I said, I have nothing positive to say about the Washington Redskins.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 25, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Zorn will have more time to make sure all the Gatorade cups are filled for the offense when they come running off the field after three plays.

D'oh!

Posted by: edvar | October 25, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

This is the second week in a row I've watched the Falcons, and I'm thoroughly unimpressed.

As much as I slam the Redskins (deservedly), the fact is there isn't much difference between Washington and most of the other teams in the NFC.

The exceptions being Minny, NY and NO.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 25, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

So when he gets fired, how much $ will Zorn have made off Snyder under his 3 year guaranteed deal (for which he'll have worked hard only 18 months, cause now he can sleep in the rest of the way)? I've never seen what his annual comp was. I don't feel bad for Z, and the previous speculation that he might quit in response to Snyder & Cerrato's antics (thereby relinquishing 50%, give or take, of his compensation) was just hilariously stupid.

Posted by: chasgiffen | October 25, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Ouch, Chiefs routed, Tampa blown out, Rams destroyed...three teams the Skins could barely stay with. This is a good measure of how shaky this Skins team is.

Yeah, stop the internet: as if we needed to know...

2010 can't get here fast enough for me.

Posted by: SteveMG | October 25, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

That call in Miami shouldn't have been a TD. The Dolphins got screwed there.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 25, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Mr.Redskin--NO isn't exactly lighting up the scoreboard today, although it looks like they may very well come back.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 25, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Boy Cutler sure is looking good. Guess it just goes to show that a horrible OLIne makes any QB look horrible, not that Campbell is any better than average to begin with.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 25, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

It's amazing. Every game today seems to be a blowout.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 25, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

With all this mess, I refuse to believe this offense is as bad as it has been.

I see pockets break down all the time today, but the QB MAKES QUICK READS, THROWS, SCRAMBLES OR THROWS IT AWAY!

Posted by: rickyroge | October 25, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

How often can you say that you wish the 'Skins offense looked like the Bungles offense? I can surely say it today after seeing their game today (on TV).

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | October 25, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Best part of Zorn's comments: "I'm just going to keep quiet" about play-calling.

Thank you. Just listen to Danny Smith for game management "suggestions".

PS to whoever said keep Sellers...
Please. Just. Stop. No disrespect intended to you; blatant contempt is aimed at Sellers.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 25, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe

That's truly sad. There are so many young or no name recievers that are performing and our Devin and Malcolm can't do anything. But I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, and say it's the offense and the quarterback, not them. Devin almost had a spectacular catch if Jason didn't lead him out of bounds.

Rickyroge- I agree with you... on Tony Romo's second touchdown pass at the end of the first half, there were like 4 Falcons around him and the pocket completely collapsed but he still found Crayton in the back of the endzone..

And now I'm really sad b/c the Cowboys are getting it together and they won't be laughed at anymore... unlike us, who will be laughed at even more on national TV tomorrow night.

Posted by: rachel216 | October 25, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

ATL may just be overrated but I am not convinced that DAL can beat NOL and NYG.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 25, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

This Saints Dolphins game is really, really good. Back and forth slug fest, great plays, mistakes, big returns, great individual efforts, neither team giving or expecting any quarter. Its awesome.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 25, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

********FFT post alert*********

Miles Austin is KILLING it for me again. Nice.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 25, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

You see how everyone dogged Barno for calling out negative fans.

Posted by: Vicc | October 25, 2009 4:00 PM

Um, wrong. People dogged Barno because he was a jerk to people who did not agree with his wildly optimistic dreams of the Redskins, accusing these "disbelievers" of not being "real fans." According to Barno anyone who second guesses the Redskins front office is a traitor. Of course, it's hard to argue with results (or the extreme lack of them), so now Barno is not around these parts much anymore.

Posted by: hithere1 | October 25, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

And it looks like the Saints have come back.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 25, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

JesusFreakKaren- no. I want the Saints offense. I'm speechless just watching their offense. It's unstoppable... They're like a machine.

Posted by: rachel216 | October 25, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

What has happened to CAR this year?

Posted by: jiacinto | October 25, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

What happened to NOL between last year and this year that made them so much better?

Posted by: jiacinto | October 25, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

I hope the Dolphins' receivers coach is wearing Depends undergarments.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 25, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

What has happened to CAR this year?

Posted by: jiacinto | October 25, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

The Man

(Delhomme)

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 25, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Give Vinny credit where credit is due.

At least he didn't drat Ted Ginn. LOL.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 25, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

But you still thought they were good enough to get to the playoffs while the rest of us were knew that without an OL, possibly losing guys like Thomas and Samuels, on top of the loss of MWash and Springs on the defensive side ... it would be too much for this team.

Scampbell, you may have seen the OL as an issue but you didn't give it the kind of serious "weight" that you should have. And you completely missed how the defense could actually be worst than last year especially against the pass. So, don't say you were in there too and that we were "all right". Cause you weren't even close and that's a fact.

Posted by: periculum | October 25, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

The saints offense also gave up three TO's. Cinci gave up one I think and was like a machine all day against the Bears. Either way, we can agree that we'd rather have either one over the one we got.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | October 25, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Peri - even though I should know not to respond, here it goes.

I believe this team could have been competing for a wild card if it had a decent coach of any kind. The coaching of this team is absolutely pathetic. Like someone else said - the sum of the 'Skins is less than the sum of it's parts, whereas with any other team it's just the opposite.

Even with JC - all Zorn had to do was talk into JC's head how wonderful he is, and tailor his offense for him. Neither was done, and OL injuries occurred (who would have guessed), so JC is running scared in every way. If we even tried just once to exploit the weaknesses of our opponents I'd say the coaching was just bad instead of deplorable, but it hasn't happened.

Notice how Gibbs was a has-been in his second stint, but was able to create two playoff teams out of what he had. Zorn has turned the playoff team into a trash heap where the people in charge expect nothing out of the team and are confused when JV HS level play goes on. If I couldn't predict the playcalling, I'd say the coaching was bad instead of deplorable, but any weak minded fan can, which is SAD.

In the beginning of the season I was hoping that Zorn would learn from his stupidities instead of get worse in EVERY way, and my hope was shot down. Now I refuse to care until Mr Medium, and Mr. "my brain is worth one cent" Cerrato leave.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | October 25, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Watching other teams with Quarterbacks that make quick, decisive reads and throws confirms how incredibly bad Cambell is in comparisan. Other QB's allow the Receivers to make plays by putting the ball in the Receiver's hands in stride and headed downfield.They allow gifted Athletes to go up and challenge the DB up high, on the inside or outside shoulder and also hit the receiver by throwing the ball while the route is still developing.
In short, their are many to blame but Cambell simply does NONE of the above! He has a nice arm and that is it. He is slow to make the read, slow to make the decision to throw and deathly afraid to take a chance if he thinks their is even a slim chance for an interception. To HE!! with interceptions! Throw it with confidence NOW JC! Drop back, read and let it go! Let the chips fall where they may! Maybe, just maybe, our Receivers will make a play!

Posted by: jshavatt | October 25, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Jsh - I'd agree with the "throw it up and let our 'gifted' athletes make a play" mentality except I've never seen our WRs go up and make a spectacular play, EVER. If JC could really trust our WRs to not give up on the play and make a play, he just might be willing to throw it in there.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | October 25, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

what everyone does not know is that Z & the Sherms have collaborated and Z is really going to continue calling plays just to spite Snyderato.

Posted by: bedave2 | October 25, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

You know; between zorn's comment and vinny's I think our future is good - it gives me a warm feeling. Though it could be heartburn...

Posted by: erthdog | October 25, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

I really feel bad for Zorn, this is going to be a mess. What a mess! Time for Vinny to go for this hair-brained scheme!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | October 26, 2009 7:29 AM | Report abuse