Zorn Discusses Lewis Hiring

Redskins Coach Jim Zorn faced the media for the first time since the team hired Sherman Lewis as a consultant. Zorn, who had no prior relationship with Lewis, did his best to shine a positive light on what seems from the outside to be an awkward situation.

"It's not something that I was looking for initially. I wasn't saying, 'Hey, Vinny, you need to go out and really find a guy for me,' " Zorn said. "But when the suggestion was made, I'm open to it. I just want to make sure that I don't have so much pride in having to have all the answers that somebody can't come in and look and see what I'm doing. He's not coaching. He's here to observe and he's here to have a set of eyes. He should look at things that maybe we don't see. And that's really what I want from him."

Offensive coordinator Sherman Smith expressed similar sentiments

"I don't think he's going to tell us something we don't already know," Smith said of Lewis. "I think we're doing the scheme the right way. If he sees something in our scheme that we don't see, I hope he'll tell us. That'll help us. We think it's about execution. We think we need to execute better.

"The players are saying the same thing. We'll just keep executing, keep running the same scheme. And hey, if he has a set of eyes and sees something we don't see, 'You need to do more of this and less of that,' we'll listen to it. We're open."

League sources have said that owner Daniel Snyder has been furious about the Redskins' poor point production (Washington ranks 27th in the league with an average of 14 points), and he has spent much of his time recently seeking answers from Zorn.

Enter Lewis, who has been retired for a while now. "He's been out of the league now going on his fifth year," Zorn said. "He's got some speed to catch up."

Zorn remains the play-caller for now, and Lewis will not have a role in game planning. Lewis will sit in the press box during games and observe, Zorn said.

"We're pleased that he's willing to come and see what he can do," Zorn said. "I think he's going to be real positive. He's a professional. He's been at it for a lot of years.

"I have to look at and try to be objective as I can, not subjective. Am I going to get all emotional about help? I can't have so much pride in who I am, and who I think I am, that I can't have an extra set of eyes and a voice to listen to."

A few interesting things jumped out in Zorn's comments. When asked whether the Redskins had considered anyone else for the position, Zorn said Lewis was the "only guy Vinny contacted." He didn't say Lewis was the only person contacted, which stirs questions. Zorn probably would have preferred someone with whom he worked on one of Mike Holmgren's Seattle Seahawks staffs.

Lewis and Zorn are from the Bill Walsh branch of the West Coast tree -- but that's it. When asked if he any prior experience with Lewis, Zorn said, "Zero." When asked if he called anyone to get a scouting report on him, Zorn said, "No." For his part, Lewis did not speak with Zorn before he accepted the position.

"Right now, all I know is that I came in last night, talked to Mr. Snyder, then Vinny sat down, and I asked him" what his new role would be, said Lewis, who has remained active in his retirement calling bingo games at a senior center and doing charity work. "They said, 'We just want, really, another set of eyes, some observations and some suggestions.' They thought maybe somebody ...who hasn't been around this particular offense that recently might have a different perspective on things, might see things that maybe if you're up close, you might miss. So far, that's all I know."

Zorn and his top lieutenants -- Smith and assistant head coach-running backs Stump Mitchell -- really believe their scheme is "very sound," Zorn said. "It's been well-used. It's been very creative. We're still creating. We're moving right along."

Among players, team leaders have bemoaned the fact the Redskins have too often executed poorly, leaving points on the field. Internally, team officials have determined the offensive line needs to be addressed in a big way, there are problems in the running game and inexperience in the receiving corps.

"What I'm also looking at is, we'll see if that's confirmation," Zorn said. "I want to be open enough for him to come up with, 'Yep, there's the situation.' We're excited about working together, and that's what we're going to do. We'll see what happens. We'll see what the results are."

By Jason Reid  |  October 7, 2009; 6:11 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis Philosophical about Hiring
Next: Kelly's Still a Puzzle that Must Be Solved

Comments

Zorn - Just win baby..

Posted by: VegasJim | October 7, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Where is Gibbs? Isn't he supposed to be a consultant too?

Posted by: Alan4 | October 7, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THE SKINS OFFENSE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: rich20ssu | October 7, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Ultimately, though, the move indicates Snyder's lack of confidence in Zorn

By Jason Reid | October 6, 2009; 10:00 PM ET

Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember there being this kind of response from the Redskins beat writers when offensive gurus were brought in under previous coaches in the Snyder era. Why so much hoopla now? The move didn't really surprise anyone, but yet if you frame the story as if it's some kind of controversy, more people will be interested in the story?

And I'm still not understanding what the big deal is. We have had a couple of dropped TD passes this year already, but other than that our offense has shown the ability to consistently move the ball down the field. Now, obviously, we've had issues getting the ball in the end zone once in the red zone. But be patient, that will change.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Yes, but...what does Pepper Rodgers have to say about Lewis?

Posted by: joe2chase | October 7, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Barno, I think previous coaches (i.e. Gibbs) hired the coaches he wanted.

It sounds like this guy was sprung on Zorn.

But you make a good point: the Skins offense has lacked punch for a long, long time. It's not just the current coach (just over 1 year) and current QB (just over 2 years starting).

Posted by: Alan4 | October 7, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Rich20ssu, that "BINGO" comment is PRICELESS! I am so frustrated as a Skins fan, you can do nothing but laugh and try to use humor to get through these tough times. Obviously I am spoiled as I grew up in DC Metro during Gibbs 1.0 and the 3 Championships in a 12 year span!

I think Sherm Lewis as the extra set of eyes is a good move. Let's score over 30 pts either this week or definitely next week vs. the woeful Chiefs!

Posted by: gilk | October 7, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

We have abused the "another set of eyes" metaphor long enough. You don't get fresh eyes from a 60-something year old geezer. All you get is another perspective -- and hopefully a helpful one.

Worse though is Zoron's continuing sense of denial concerning soundness of his offensive scheme. It isn't much of a scheme if his players can't execute it -- although the coaches and team haven't exactly knock themselves out with the pre-season and early season training, fundamentals, assignments, play calling, etc.

We can only wish that Zorn's assertion that "We're moving right along" were true... so long as the "moving right along" goes to anywhere but here.

Posted by: Vic1 | October 7, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

This is priceless stuff. Sherman Lewis has kept busy calling Bingo games! You simply can't make this stuff up. If I ever decide to write a screenplay remake of "The Replacements" or write a book about an inept football team led by a clueless owner, all I need to do is recycle the two Jasons' blog entries.

How can anyone defend this nonsense? Imagine you're at work and your boss comes over to you and says, "Mmmmkay, we've hired this consultant to watch you work and give you an extra pair of eyes."

You have got to be kidding me.

Posted by: PDiddy | October 7, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Great here is a man who has 4 super bowl rings and we will not let him call plays what ! I think this was just done to shut us fans up and to quit the media

Go Panthers

Posted by: joevick | October 7, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Barno, have you tatooed your body in maroon and gold, or do you just paint yourself every day? When I watch other teams in the NFL play offense, it's like watching a different sport. C'mon, the skins offense can't do anything well. Sure, they moved the ball well against the Rams. Big whoop. Everyone else who played the Rams scored 28 points or more. The Lions have given up an average of about 35 points/game. This team couldn't move the ball at all except the first drive of the game and against the prevent D. The offense makes me sick.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | October 7, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

And, come on Barno. Everyone knows Zorn is a goner. He's dead man walking. There is no controversy to "frame". Both Jasons actually like Zorn. It's hard to not root for the guy.

But you act as if the "beat writers" have invented the controversy. The controversy is in the mess created by the owner of this team. First hiring a man completely out of his depth to be head coach simply because almost no one else would take the job, the fans revolted against the one man with experience who would, and time was running out before entering the offseason. And, second, openly second-guessing him by bringing in a "consultant".

Ah, screw it. This is all nothing more than one more bullet point in the long PowerPoint deck entitled, "The Misery Inflicted Upon the Best Fans in the NFL".

Posted by: PDiddy | October 7, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Is Lewis just going to watch the games to determine if it's the players not executing or the playcalling that is at fault? Why is he there? He knows nothing about Zorn? Retired for 4-5 years? What is he gonna help with?

Let Zorn and the staff run its course and determine at the end of the year what needs to be done.

'Cause it seems like the front office is just looking for the right person to blame when the answer is in the mirror.

If Campbell had time to throw and the run blocking could produce a 10-15 yard gain from time to time, we might not have to make panicky moves in the middle of the year.

The problem has and will be the offensive line, for the 2372394827302th time.

Posted by: saltine182 | October 7, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

joevick

"I think this was just done to shut us fans up and to quiet the media..."

I think it's a pre-emptive strike that works a couple of ways:

a. extra eyes can certify that, yes, it's Campbell, not Zorn--don't resign him!

b. extra eyes can certify that, yes, Zorn blows--fire him before someone hires Shanahan.

c. extra eyes can certify that, well, they both suck, let's move on

Me?: I think 'a' is the answer.

Gimme a star!

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 7, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

OK, now I understand.

Snyder = Mr Burns
Vinny = Smithers
Sherm Smith = Grampa Simpson
Zorn & JC = Lenny & Carl
Fans = Homer

Is the Lisa_S that posts here Lisa Simpson?

Posted by: Alan4 | October 7, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

You have got to be kidding me.

Posted by: PDiddy | October 7, 2009 6:34 PM

BOOM! classic.

Posted by: saltine182 | October 7, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

There's a reason Greg Williams allegedly coined the nickname "Coach Killer" for JC.

Gibbs and Saunders couldn't generate points with him under center.

Zorn couldn't.

Look out, Sherm! He's gonna kill your rep next!

Posted by: MylesMonroe | October 7, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Same Management Strategy Different Year. Another of Vinny's Amigos, Wow, That Will Certainly Make things Better! One Has to Wonder How long Will it Take Snyder to Figure out What the Real Reason His Pathetic Dysfunctional Franchise is so Horrid! I Have Met The Enemy and The Enemy is ..........

Posted by: Spanglerg | October 7, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

I think "Coach Killer" was nickname given to Snyder, not Campbell.

And considering Snyder has had around 10 starting QBs and 6 head coaches, one might also call him "QB killer".

Keep killing those 2 positions and you're lucky to float around 0.500 every year.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 7, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Oh come on, Snyder isn't a coach killer. He's like my ex-girlfriend who couldn't decide which pair of shoes she liked, so she just went ahead and bought them all.

Nah, Snyder isn't a coach or QB killer. He just loves coaches and QBs sooooo much, that he can't decide which one to hire and instead plans on hiring them all!

The man is a genius!

Posted by: PDiddy | October 7, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Barno, while the media landscape was much different, the consultancy hires of pepper Rogers and bill arnsbarger were heavily analyzed and discussed. As was the consultants hired for spurrier.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

saltine, the Redskins' offensive line problems should be readily apparent when viewed from the press box.

But that may not be what ShermaL was hired to see from that lofty vantage point, if you catch my drift. His charter may be more along the lines of "it's either Campbell or Zorn or both... we have some ideas, but we want you to tell us which." A witch hunt only MistaMoe would love.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 7, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

______
Snyder had to hire an outside consultant for that??? I have the answer.. It's Campbell. Bench him and watch what happens

Posted by: sovine08 | October 7, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Why does that remind me of Captain Renault in Casablanca, saying "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!" (?)

Posted by: chasgiffen | October 7, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

The offensive line isn't good, but there are worse in the league.

JC just doesn't see the field. Never has and never will.

Posted by: MylesMonroe | October 7, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm switching from ShermaL to ShermL. Still rhymes with "thermal."

The other guy will hereafter be ShermS, rhymes with "sure-mess"

Who knew we'd need Sherm shorthand... we got a bunch of Rocks and a coupla Sherms... love to get a win Sunday, I sure would... F Dallas... panties... maps...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 7, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

So this was sprung on Zorn, who now has some guy he doesn't even know checking behind him to see if it is "really" his fault or the QB's, or the O-line...whatever.

Snyder just doens't get it. Let the man coach the season. Let the QB play the season. Let the team do whatever it does, and stay OUT OF THE WAY. After the season, make your calls. Until then, STFU and let the people you hired do their jobs.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | October 7, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PDiddy | October 7, 2009 6:34 PM

As the corollary to this, the most liberating thing any boss has ever said to me, when I was promoted to the head of my particular area, was, "I don't know how to do your job, so whatever you think needs to be done, I'll trust your judgment and that's what we'll do."

Think Snyder's ever said anything like this to any coach other than Joe Gibbs?

More importantly, COULD he?

Posted by: freakzilla | October 7, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

I spy for Snyder = Lewis. Wonder when Snyder will call for a QB change from the owner's suite? Wonder if Jeff George is still available for Snyder to sign?

Posted by: periculum | October 7, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Think Snyder's ever said anything like this to any coach other than Joe Gibbs?

By all accounts, both public and private he never said any such thing ... and was deeply involved in player/personnel decisions as always. He could just be 'overruled' from time-to-time by an assertive Greg Williams or Joe Gibbs. But I am sure they had to 'pick their battles'.

Posted by: periculum | October 7, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Mad if we lose. Mad if we win.

Mad if we sign a FA. Mad if we don't.

Every bad draft pick is carved in stone.

Every good draft pick is swept under the rug.

Mad when Tryon plays bad. Mad when Tryon plays well.

Mad when we Fire'em. Mad when we don't.

Mad when we Hire'em. Mad when we don't.

Mad when we bring in a Big Name.

Mad when we bring in a No Name.

Mad if we Run. Mad if we Pass.

Mad if we're Home. Mad if we're Away.

You've made HYPOCRISY A WAY OF LIFE!

I think you just need to find a NEW TEAM!

YOU'RE NOT FANS, YOU'RE DEAD WEIGHT!

GO DRAG ANOTHER TEAM DOWN. WE DON'T NEED YOU.
Posted by: filmchis"

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE! WE ARE WHO WE ARE! EITHER STICK BY THEM AND DEAL WITH ALL THE BULLSH!T! OR GO FIND ANOTHER TEAM! SNYDER AIN'T GOING NO WHERE SO IT IS WHAT IT IS!
ALL HAIL! R.I.P SEAN T!

Posted by: cgassripMeast21 | October 7, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Mad if we lose. Mad if we win.

Mad if we sign a FA. Mad if we don't.

Every bad draft pick is carved in stone.

Every good draft pick is swept under the rug.

Mad when Tryon plays bad. Mad when Tryon plays well.

Mad when we Fire'em. Mad when we don't.

Mad when we Hire'em. Mad when we don't.

Mad when we bring in a Big Name.

Mad when we bring in a No Name.

Mad if we Run. Mad if we Pass.

Mad if we're Home. Mad if we're Away.

You've made HYPOCRISY A WAY OF LIFE!

I think you just need to find a NEW TEAM!

YOU'RE NOT FANS, YOU'RE DEAD WEIGHT!

GO DRAG ANOTHER TEAM DOWN. WE DON'T NEED YOU.
Posted by: filmchis"

ALL HAIL! R.I.P SEAN T!

Posted by: cgassripMeast21 | October 7, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

freakzilla, so very, very, very true. It is my 100% top management philosophy. Hire people smarter than you, give them autonomy, watch them make you look good. I'm a complete moron, and I've built a ton of very successful businesses based on that one very simple philosophy.

I wish the owner of the Redskins would figure this out.

Posted by: PDiddy | October 7, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Mad if we lose. Mad if we win.

Mad if we sign a FA. Mad if we don't.

Every bad draft pick is carved in stone.

Every good draft pick is swept under the rug.

Mad when Tryon plays bad. Mad when Tryon plays well.

Mad when we Fire'em. Mad when we don't.

Mad when we Hire'em. Mad when we don't.

Mad when we bring in a Big Name.

Mad when we bring in a No Name.

Mad if we Run. Mad if we Pass.

Mad if we're Home. Mad if we're Away.

You've made HYPOCRISY A WAY OF LIFE!

I think you just need to find a NEW TEAM!

YOU'RE NOT FANS, YOU'RE DEAD WEIGHT!

GO DRAG ANOTHER TEAM DOWN. WE DON'T NEED YOU.
Posted by: filmchis"

ALL HAIL! R.I.P SEAN T!

Posted by: cgassripMeast21 | October 7, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

JC has already said the coaches are doing fine, it's on the players. It's so funny to me how some bloggers want to disregard that and still insist on blaming Zorn. Is it blind loyalty to JC? Hatred of Zorn?

I wish JC were a better QB, but I can't say enough about him as a human being, first class all the way!!

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | October 7, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

The problem is Brad Johnson... er, uh Jeff George...I mean Tony Banks...I mean uh, Shane Matthews.. because Patrick Ramsey sucks... I mean Danny Wuerfful... actually, uh Tim Hasselbeck just doesn't have "it"... noodle-armed Mark Brunell is the problem... Todd Collins sucked in that playoff game....

So clearly, Jason Campbell is the reason this team hasn't been able to score in the last decade!

Posted by: Alan4 | October 7, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

You guys are sooo glass half-empty. Did you ever stop and think that maybe Lewis was brought in to look over Zorn's shoulder so Lewis could learn something from Zorn? Anyone remember the Z Shade? Or the pillow fight QB drill?

Posted by: mack1 | October 7, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

They internally realized the offensive line was a major problem last year and did nothing except add Dockery. This franchise is f*cked up beyond belief. Hopefully Snyder will get so furious with the offense he will become disillusioned and fall out of the owners box. I don't like Zorn and he is as good as gone but I wish he would step up to Snyder and tell him to get a real offensive line and a personnel group that isn't a complete joke.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | October 7, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Remember, Ernie Zampese was brought in to be an offensive consultant for Joe Gibbs in 2004...didn't seem to help much that season, but it didn't lead to a total change either. This sort of thing happens in the NFL (well, at least for the Redskins).

I can't see Sherman Lewis being ready to coach mid-season, I just can't. Especially not after his most recent experience calling Bingo games. Seriously.

If we go that route, maybe Snyder should hire RI's own TalentEvaluator to be "an extra set of eyes" for Ceratto. It makes the same amount of sense as this Lewis stuff.

Posted by: hithere1 | October 7, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Why, of course! Sherman Lewis is in town to learn the pillow fight drill to take back to spice up the Bingo games!

Posted by: PDiddy | October 7, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

"A confidante of Cerrato, speaking on the condition his name not be used, said lingering concern over Zorn's inability to make quarterback Jason Campbell more effective in the West Coast offense -- and particularly out of the shotgun formation -- was weighing on management's mind."

Hmm, "management's mind"...singular...interesting.

Dr Freud, to the burgundy courtesy phone, please, Dr. Freud...

It's looking like Zorn's screwed. That being a quote FRIGHTENS me. Like there's a magic wand to turn this toad into a prince overnight.

I bet the meeting just prior to making the call to call Sherman Lewis went a little something like THIS...

Dan: Why can't we make this damn peg fit this hole ?

Zorn: well, the peg is a #17 - 2" x 2" square peg, and the hole is a 1 7/8" diameter hole...

Vinny: Doesn't matter, make it fit, Jimmy...

Dan: maybe if you push harder, or grease up the peg...

Zorn: Well, I think if we try this other peg here, the #15 - 1 3/4" round peg..., it MIGHT just fit a little bit better...

Dan: that darn thing's too loose, we only picked up that #15 - 1 3/4" round peg for emergency use, we spent a LOT on this #17 - 2" x 2" square peg...so we should really exhaust ALL options to see if we can get it to fit and work...

Vinny: can we try and squash the pointy parts down?

Dan: YEAH, YEAH, try THAT! try THAT!

Zorn: [shaking head, and rolling eyes]...(squeezing the pointy edges and pushing hard...*grrrrrrrhhhhhhrrrhhh..

Vinny: It's working! it's working!

Dan: YESSSSSSSS!

*POP !!!* [the peg shoots out of the hole and across the room]

Vinny: wow, we're almost there, that #17 - 2" x 2" square peg REALLY hung in there. Well, until the pressure was a little too much...

Dan: damn right! I KNEW this was the right peg... [jumps up out of his high chair pumping his tiny little fists in the air...] whoooo!

Zorn: [head down, walking slowly to go pick up the #17-2" x 2" square peg...again]...didn't we try this same method LAST season?

Vinny: yeah, and it's almost working, now...get it back in there...

Dan: [Nodding and grinning] Yup! Almost there...just push it in harder this time...

Zorn: but, but...oh, never mind, *sigh* [walks slowly back toward the drawing board]

Posted by: ThinkingMan | October 7, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

I'll second the ,just win baby

and,the mad if we win, mad if we lose...hipocracy...

man up fans man up and support thr PLAYERS

You might have hated Bush ,but you don't hate the soldiers,right?

just f'in win baby, 9-7, 3-0, who cares, just win

and if we lose DON'T WHINE, be adults

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 7, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Mad if we lose. Mad if we win.

Mad if we sign a FA. Mad if we don't.

Every bad draft pick is carved in stone.

Every good draft pick is swept under the rug.

Mad when Tryon plays bad. Mad when Tryon plays well.

Mad when we Fire'em. Mad when we don't.

Mad when we Hire'em. Mad when we don't.

Mad when we bring in a Big Name.

Mad when we bring in a No Name.

Mad if we Run. Mad if we Pass.

Mad if we're Home. Mad if we're Away.

You've made HYPOCRISY A WAY OF LIFE!

I think you just need to find a NEW TEAM!

YOU'RE NOT FANS, YOU'RE DEAD WEIGHT!

___________________________________________

Here's a hint for you and your fellow Snyder apologists

-Not Mad if Napoleon admits he knows JACK CRAP ABOUT BUILDING A FOOTBALL TEAM, and hires someone who does
-Not Mad even if that means several rebuilding years as long as we are BUILDING FOR THE FUTURE

-Mad that this team continues to willfully be mediocre FOR TEN YEARS NOW to please an egomaniacal idiot for an owner, who has no intention of getting better if he's not directly responsible for making it happen

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 7, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

is it possible they bring in lewis to prep the team for holmgren?

Posted by: jj44skins | October 7, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Lewis is probably here just to tell Snyder, either Zorn's system is sound OR Zorn doesn't get it.

we haven't scored a lot of points for like 20 years, it's not Zorn

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 7, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

OK, now I understand.

Snyder = Mr Burns
Vinny = Smithers
Sherm Smith = Grampa Simpson
Zorn & JC = Lenny & Carl
Fans = Homer

Is the Lisa_S that posts here Lisa Simpson?

Posted by: Alan4 | October 7, 2009 6:46 PM

Going by the lack of people who agree with Barno-the-Super-Fan on here, I think:

Barno = Ralph Wiggum

I ated the purple berries. Owwwwww, it tastes like burning.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 7, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Also, no one cho-cho-chooses to agree with Barno and his mantra that criticism of anything Redskins related makes one a "bad fan."

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 7, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Two Shermans? That's nice.

One Zorn? That's medium.

Zero consultation with said Zorn prior to hiring second Sherman? That's not nice.

I don't know about this. I like the idea of a "fresh set of eyes"...IF Zorn had had the opportunity to provide input. I understand that an outside consultant shouldn't be one of his boys, but I think you at least let him feel part of the discussion.

If Snyder's end game is to emasculate Zorn altogether then he's sure on the right track.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 7, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

If I were Zorn, I'd have Lewis sit in the owner's box on Sunday. That's where the fresh set of eyes is needed.

Posted by: david36 | October 7, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

That "mad if" post that's been copied and pasted way more than it deserves doesn't need to go any further than, Mad if we lose. It's kinda why we get mad about all the other stuff.

Saw a great quote above for Diddy's movie poster.

"This franchise is f*cked up beyond belief."
— ToddStinkston

Posted by: mack1 | October 7, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

What's up Puff Daddy, good to see you back on here. I strongly disagree with you that Zorn is a dead man walking. I agree with George Michael on this one...Snyder really does not want to fire Zorn. And after he leads us to the playoffs, I have this really strange feeling that many of the fans won't want him fired either...

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

this is not an argument, this is not a statement, this is just a question, did anybody else read these quotes and get the feeling that both Zorn and Smith are like "nothing is wrong here" and they weren't even really consulted about this hire.

now for my statement: I think we are in big trouble and there are bad things brewing in Ashburn for Zorn and his "top lieutenants".

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 7, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

is it possible they bring in lewis to prep the team for holmgren?

Posted by: jj44skins | October 7, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Provided that we don't make the playoffs ("Playoffs? PLAYOFFS??!") this year and Zorn is gone - I'd like to see Holmgren but I don't think we would. He is a coach/GM and I don't see Snyder giving him full control. Yes, Gibbs theoretically had it, but that was his idol and hero as a kid.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 7, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

ms. barno, shut up! and get back to your boyfriend larry michael. UGH! sickness! utter sickness...vile, disgusting human being you are. take your filth to @#*skins.com

Posted by: dealer1 | October 7, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

I actually feel very sorry for Zorn. The guy was brought in to be a QB Coach/Coordinator,... ends up a Head Coach b/c one of the most storied franchise couldn't find a Head Coach. That's the f'in story here. Probably a little over his head, but he doesn't have the players he needs. I'm not referring to SOUPS either. Be careful what you wish for in replacing Campbell. I want Zorn to have one more year.

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 7, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | October 7, 2009 7:51 PM

-------------------------------------------

Alan 4's comments are dead on. The Skins' regular season record has been a putrid 78 & 86 since Snyder took over the team in 1999, and the talent for that 99 team which finished 10 & 6 was aquired before he took ownership-which makes the Skins record 68 & 80 since 2000.

Barno, who should be held accountable for the teams dismal record over the past 10 years? If this team doesn't make the playoffs again this season, I wonder how you will continue to defend Danny Boy & his Boy Blunder Vinnie.

Posted by: akjproductions | October 7, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Mad if we lose. Mad if we win.

Mad if we sign a FA. Mad if we don't.

Every bad draft pick is carved in stone.

Every good draft pick is swept under the rug.

Mad when Tryon plays bad. Mad when Tryon plays well.

Mad when we Fire'em. Mad when we don't.

Mad when we Hire'em. Mad when we don't.

Mad when we bring in a Big Name.

Mad when we bring in a No Name.

Mad if we Run. Mad if we Pass.

Mad if we're Home. Mad if we're Away.

You've made HYPOCRISY A WAY OF LIFE!

I think you just need to find a NEW TEAM!

YOU'RE NOT FANS, YOU'RE DEAD WEIGHT!

GO DRAG ANOTHER TEAM DOWN. WE DON'T NEED YOU.
Posted by: filmchis

One of the best post in a while. It will definately make me (Briefly) look in the mirror.

Posted by: dcwun | October 7, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Mad if we lose. Mad if we win.

Mad if we sign a FA. Mad if we don't.

Every bad draft pick is carved in stone.

Every good draft pick is swept under the rug.

Mad when Tryon plays bad. Mad when Tryon plays well.

Mad when we Fire'em. Mad when we don't.

Mad when we Hire'em. Mad when we don't.

Mad when we bring in a Big Name.

Mad when we bring in a No Name.

Mad if we Run. Mad if we Pass.

Mad if we're Home. Mad if we're Away.

You've made HYPOCRISY A WAY OF LIFE!

I think you just need to find a NEW TEAM!

YOU'RE NOT FANS, YOU'RE DEAD WEIGHT!

GO DRAG ANOTHER TEAM DOWN. WE DON'T NEED YOU.

Posted by: filmchis

I'm Vicc and I approve this message.

Posted by: Vicc | October 7, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

i just read on Espn that with this hiring that there will be no coaching change during the season . They also also go on to say that we should to be in the hunt for a playoffs for the rest of the year so no change

I also read this time on the redskins.com that Lewis was at the lion game two weeks ago as a gust of our def,coach . They have been good friends since working on staff of Green bay back in the early nineties

Um one wonders if this had been planned for awhile

Posted by: joevick | October 7, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PDiddy | October 7, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Mad if we lose. Mad if we win.

Mad if we sign a FA. Mad if we don't.

Every bad draft pick is carved in stone.

Every good draft pick is swept under the rug.

Mad when Tryon plays bad. Mad when Tryon plays well.

Mad when we Fire'em. Mad when we don't.

Mad when we Hire'em. Mad when we don't.

Mad when we bring in a Big Name.

Mad when we bring in a No Name.

Mad if we Run. Mad if we Pass.

Mad if we're Home. Mad if we're Away.

You've made HYPOCRISY A WAY OF LIFE!

I think you just need to find a NEW TEAM!

YOU'RE NOT FANS, YOU'RE DEAD WEIGHT!

GO DRAG ANOTHER TEAM DOWN. WE DON'T NEED YOU.
Posted by: filmchis

Greatest. Post. Ever.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Shapiro's article this morning was great and soooo true! Snyder has got to come out from behind the curtain! It is time that he puts together a strategy!

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 7, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | October 7, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Wow, just wow. I'm a "vile, disgusting human being" because I support my team through thick and thin and have an optimistic outlook on our season after 4 games.

This vile and disgusting human being is in the middle of organizing a charitable fundraiser for our wounded soldiers and their families. Do you mind me asking what you have contributed to society lately Mr. Dealer?

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins could turn this "drama" into one of those cheesy GEICO commercials with Sherm Lewis as the stack of money with the eyes. I don't know of any other NFL teams College or High School programs that need "another set of eyes" to see if the playbook/scheme is fine.

I think this coaching squad must drop acid or is juicing it up in press box before the game, if they need another set of eyes to help them out. Because this is what I see:

Zorn calls a play that makes no sense and it doesn't work...DUH

Every time Campbell snaps the ball he is immediately looking at the Defensive Line's team picture and has coordinated child play dates with his kids and theirs by games end.

A punt returner that turns into Where is Waldo when ball is falling from the sky. ARE should seek counseling for his phobia.

Two wide receivers and a Tight End who need GPS on the field and the playbook turned into Rosetta Stone respectively.

A QB who can move the team down the field pretty effectively, until he has to get the plays from the sidelines. Can we go no huddle or two minute the whole game please?

Wow, that's what I saw with my set of eyes. No charge. I think next season there will be a new set of eyes along with a new body calling the plays on the sidelines.

Posted by: clark202 | October 7, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: akjproductions | October 7, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

It's not exactly dismal. It's not good either, but it's not dismal. I don't think there's anyway we miss the playoffs this year, and if I'm right--I won't have to defend snyder and vinny...since you guys will mysteriously be silent on the issue.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009

Where do you find the time to do charity if you are blogging the RI 2 weeks straight on Wyamine?

Posted by: periculum | October 7, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | October 7, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

2 weeks straight? Are you sure you're not the one on drugs here? This is maybe my 5 or 6th comment on RI in the last 2 weeks. Go ahead and count 'em buddy.

When you have no counter-argument to make, you just lie? That's your thing? You must be so proud of yourself.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

With all due respect, what is it you've seen in these past 4 games to lead you to believe that we're playoff material? I think a team needs to finish 10 & 6 to qualify for this year's postseason play, which means the Skins have to finish 12 & 4 the rest of the way. Do you honestly believe that will happen?

Posted by: akjproductions | October 7, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

so snyder is "furious" over the listless offense. maybe the dunce should have drafted some O linemen. that said, JC doesn't seem like he'll ever be an elite QB, and Zorn's play-calling is anemic. i'd say get rid of cerrato and zorn. hire a bone fide gm and shanahan and let them fix it.

Posted by: chris_zz | October 7, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Mad if we lose. Mad if we win.

Mad if we sign a FA. Mad if we don't.

Every bad draft pick is carved in stone.

Every good draft pick is swept under the rug.

Mad when Tryon plays bad. Mad when Tryon plays well.

Mad when we Fire'em. Mad when we don't.

Mad when we Hire'em. Mad when we don't.

Mad when we bring in a Big Name.

Mad when we bring in a No Name.

Mad if we Run. Mad if we Pass.

Mad if we're Home. Mad if we're Away.

You've made HYPOCRISY A WAY OF LIFE!

I think you just need to find a NEW TEAM!

YOU'RE NOT FANS, YOU'RE DEAD WEIGHT!

GO DRAG ANOTHER TEAM DOWN. WE DON'T NEED YOU.
Posted by: filmchis

I totally agree with you. I sure many teams out there would love to be 2-2. Ask the Titans. Lets just play this season out. They will get better. I rather be bad now than at end of the season.

Posted by: TheJury | October 7, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009

Seems to have struck a never? No, just wondering why you are on here highlighting, even way overstating the negative (lying?), drawing all that negative energy upon yourself ... yet claim to be co-creating positive energy by your charity work? Seems rather contradictory?

Posted by: periculum | October 7, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

AKJ, I think you meant to say we have to go 8-4 the rest of the way.... to be 12-4 would mean we were playing in Miami.... which I like the idea... :-)

I can feel the love here tonight!!!

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 7, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

I still think that all this team needs is a good, rock solid offensive line and most if not all the issues with the offense would disappear. I believe the responsibility for that falls on the shoulders of the owner GM and not on the coach or the players. If that is a 'negative' viewpoint so be it. And I have been stating this since well before the season began.

Posted by: periculum | October 7, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Bingo and charity work? You've got to be kidding me.

Posted by: BMACattack | October 7, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Lol....just lol, "I don't think there's anyway we miss the playoffs this year"..........hahahahahahahahhahahahahahaa

you probably also think the tooth fairy, Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, Peter Pan, the Lost Boys, and intelligent liberals exist.......

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 7, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I can feel the love here tonight!!!

CLEGG
-------------------------------------------

Thanks for the correction. I would love to go 12 & 4 the rest of the way. Still, base on what we've seen the past 4 games, does anyone HONESTLY feel this team can finish 8 & 4 or better? Anyone? Anyone?

Posted by: akjproductions | October 7, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Periculum,

Overstating the negative? What planet are you living on??

I make exactly an optimistic comment about our season and the response I receive is that I'm a "vile and disgusting human being." Then I point out how I'm actually not a disgusting human being and you say I'm a hypocrite. Sorry bro, you're just not making any sense.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

I actually have been pretty impressed at Rinehart and Heyer's run blocking for two youngsters.... That is something positive to build on!!!!

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 7, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Adding my voice to those who've taken exception to filmchis' "Mad" song-poem.

I will not abide the pernicious notion that those of us who may be moved on occasion to criticize the Redskins' players, coaches, front office or (heaven forfend) owner are somehow rendered "not fans."

Fan is short for "fanatic." As a Redskin fanatic, I reserve the right to criticize anything about the team, to make baldly hypocritical statements about the team, to say whatever the hell I want about the team.

But I should make it clear that this all goes back to the deep love I have for the Redskins. That love leads to disappointment and agony and dispair.

I am entitled -- yeah, I'll go there -- to everything that results from that profound and unshakable love. My criticism of the team is borne of love of the team. My irrational and hypocritical and downright absurd statements up here come from my love of the team. I can and will celebrate their success, when it comes. I can and will bemoan their failures, as long as they endure. I can and will flip flop and change my definitions of "success" and "failure" at will.

For anyone to posit that I therefore don't deserve to be called a "fan" of the Redskins... well, that really pisses me off.

Hail.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 7, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

yeah barno wanna lay out the scenario that makes skins PO lock?

here is how I see the battles shaking up with teams who will also be active wild card canidates

west: az/san fran
north: vikes/bear/packers
south: saints/falcons
east: ginas/eagles/skins/girls

lets say div winners are: san fran/vikes/saints/ginas

in a best case scenario that would leave a battle for two spots between az/bears/packers/falcons/eagles/skins/girls

I don't see it based on what I see from this team but that is how it would break down. Lets give eagles 1 WC, We would need to be better than girls/pack/bears/az/falcons...

tough, but four games in nothing is settled.

hope it happens, dont think it will...

but hey i'd happily eat a heaping plate of crow, although a decade plus of Snyder history would suggest i should look for dinner elsewhere.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 7, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Well, seems we're both of the same political cloth, so I won't knock you too much. But I will say that at 2-2, we are 1 game out of the playoffs right now...so no, I don't think believing we can overcome this 1 game deficit with 12 games to go is as far fetched as the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, or Peter Pan.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

you say I'm a hypocrite. Sorry bro, you're just not making any sense.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009

If I thought you were a hypocrite I would have said so. No, I don't say that at all. I guess what I am saying is that by making that post you may have fed the very thing you are railing against? If that makes sense? This I know as I have had far more negative posts made about me than you have I am sure ... ~smiles~

Posted by: periculum | October 7, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Hey JZ, here's a few ideas from a pair of "fresh eyes". Danny, just send me a luxury box pass and a check for 10% of what you're giving ShermL - at least I've been watching the Skins for the last 5 years...

1) Do NOT run left on short yardage until the other team consistently stops runs to the right. Corollary: don't run left as long as play action left has some success. Every NFL team knows what we do and stacks their defense.

2) Burn the "heavy jumbo" pages in the playbook. Our O-line is neither heavy nor jumbo. Inside the 5, try a standard set with Mitchell and Kelly running to the EZ corners for fades. Cooley at TE hooks across the goal line. The idea is to spread the defense, not pack it into the middle, and always have passing options. Formation variations could include Davis at other TE to either block or run a route, or Moss / ARE in the slot, or Sellers at H-back to block, decoy, or catch a pass. Now, we have options to: a) fade pass to a tall WR; b) quick slant pass to slot; c) handoff, toss, or screen to RB to space, not bodies; d) draw; e) roll Campbell to same side that TE hooks to for QB run or pass. Give Campbell 2 plays, put someone in motion to see which one is better, audible, and go. Repeat as necessary. Practice the hell out of it until everyone can execute consistently.

3) In general, add more screens and draws to slow down the pass rush. Eagles have made a living off this for years.

4) Roll Campbell out sometimes so the rush doesn't always know where he'll be. If there's an opening, let him run.

The Skins O-line isn't big enough to overpower people, so we have to use misdirection (not goofy trick plays) to make the defense hesitate a bit. We need to out-think the opponent.

Thank you.

Posted by: pyrotech | October 7, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

"and intelligent liberals exist......."

I am pretty sure Barno doesn't think this animal exists.....

But I do, I am one.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Rinehart yes ... and finally ... Heyer just isn't a starting tackle ... he is a swingman or a journeyman ... not a starting tackle.

Posted by: periculum | October 7, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 7, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

I thought you guys wanted him to be like other owners and not be the face of the team?

Mad if we lose. Mad if we win.

Mad if we sign a FA. Mad if we don't.

Every bad draft pick is carved in stone.

Every good draft pick is swept under the rug.

Mad when Tryon plays bad. Mad when Tryon plays well.

Mad when we Fire'em. Mad when we don't.

Mad when we Hire'em. Mad when we don't.

Mad when we bring in a Big Name.

Mad when we bring in a No Name.

Mad if we Run. Mad if we Pass.

Mad if we're Home. Mad if we're Away.

You've made HYPOCRISY A WAY OF LIFE!

I think you just need to find a NEW TEAM!

YOU'RE NOT FANS, YOU'RE DEAD WEIGHT!

GO DRAG ANOTHER TEAM DOWN. WE DON'T NEED YOU.
Posted by: filmchis

Posted by: jumbo5383 | October 7, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

yeah barno wanna lay out the scenario that makes skins PO lock?

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

L - Nov 29 WAS @ PHI
W - Dec 06 NO @ WAS
L - Dec 13 WAS @ OAK
W- Dec 21 NYG @ WAS
W - Dec 27 DAL @ WAS
W - Jan 03 WAS @ SD

10-6 and in the playoffs.

I tend to not worry about what the other teams in our conference are doing this early in the season. However, I strongly feel the Giants will not only not win the division, but will miss the playoffs entirely. Obviously, they're off to a great start. But I don't see them keeping it up.

We'll see.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Peri and Barno..... do you two need to be separated?

Let's all get along.... besides, winning ugly is still winning... The 2000 Ravens did it... ( yes, I know their D was amazing, but our D has some young guys really starting to play ball )

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 7, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

"and intelligent liberals exist......."

I am pretty sure Barno doesn't think this animal exists.....

But I do, I am one.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

There are plenty of intelligent liberals. Just because we have different political beliefs, doesn't make you any less intelligent.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

We lost to one of the worst teams in the league, we beat the other two by a combined 5 points and we weren't close to competitive with a team in our division. We'll be fighting most likely the Falcons, Bears, Packers, Cardinals or 9ers, Eagles, and Cowboys for 2 spots and we already have 2 in conference losses. Do you really think that we are one of the two best teams of that list? I don't think we're even close, at best I think we 6th only better than the Cowboys and maybe the Cardinals.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 7, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Jumbo,

I don't think Snyder needs to be Jerry Jones, but for goodness sake, give an interview once during the season.....

What team wants to play for a "lame duck" coach? If you knew your boss at your office was asking you to do something that you knew you wouldn't be doing next year with a new boss, how hard would you really work for him????

That is what Snyder is doing right now but not voicing a "fake vote of confidence"

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 7, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

this whole situation just seems weird to me

Posted by: Salinas1 | October 7, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

BARNO1; Don't let em get to you bro i'm with you 100% but let's be realistic the O-line is a joke the three amigo's(kelly,thomas&davis) are bumms so far and i don't see them getting better.JC is a stand up guy and a class act but he is being set up for failure because Danny&Vinny are inept,Zorn means well but is overmatched on Sunday's because of the above mentioned issues, the players are going to have to step up for the next twelve weeks in order for this team to have a shot at winning,keep the faith Barno1,keep the faith!

Posted by: dargregmag | October 7, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

i make sure people get home safely to their loved ones every day. that's what i do every f'ing day. and that includes people like you. and what charitable bullshti are you talking about? what/who/when/where? actually don't mention it...i'll probly burn that dream house of cards of yours too...don't bother. you're annoying. just stop. i supported you when you were going off on jlaca but i had no clue, nor i should what deep end you hail from...ugh!

Posted by: dealer1 | October 7, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

i stand corrected....

I think that PO path is (FB) suspect Barno. Firstly Its essential to think about it conference wide this early b/c thats what matters...I start rooting hard for lesser or AFC teams to tag losses on who I think are conference contenders now so that post Thanksgiving you can see trends. The Skins (gibbs 1) missed the playoffs with a 10-6 record based on conference record one year. In my mind PO teams get wins in weeks 3/5/6 that are as key as 13/14 etc..

In the two gIbbs 2 PO teams conference wins were huge.

I also don't see a scenario where Ginas miss playoffs (injuries could be factor but they ae stockpiling wins now with some key injuries) Maybe Eli's planer-whatever will be a big issue. That can be a serious injury, just ask Mark Price.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

dear jason reid, cindy boren, other staff writers/editors:
can we please find out how much sherman lewis is getting paid?

Posted by: BMACattack | October 7, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Barno why don't you finally admit that you're clearly not a fan of the "Redskins" as a team, you're only a fan of the management.

Or you're just a fan of 10 more years of mediocrity

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 7, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

So Jacky-Z my Skins/PO breakdown is closer to yours than Barnos, but I am a liberal...so by your own logic that makes you a dumb azz.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

or I'm the tooth fairy...

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | October 7, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Oh and great rant Nate....I sign on 100% but I won't...cough....copy and past for a day straight like a lame spammer...

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

can somebody please give cerrato the number to a new hair stylist...that guys mop is KILLING me...he looks retarted

Posted by: BMACattack | October 7, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

CL, why so socialist? you don't like having money? maybe you don't and you want mine?

but you know, if Obama gets his way maybe the government would own the Skins, can't be worse than Snyder right? Actually, the government runs everything it touches about as well as Snyder runs the Skins so maybe it all doesn't matter.....

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 7, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Go Panthers

Posted by: joevick | October 7, 2009 6:34 PM |

You say "us fans" and then pull a go Panties. I say Go Phuk yourself and find a Panties blog you bloated sack of Panthers fan.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 7, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

"I agree that Snyder is not a very good owner, but if I'm him, I could give a rats azz what the fans think. Nothing he will EVER be able to do will please this fanbase, so I'd keep doing what I wanna do.

Posted by: rickyroge

Yes you would or eventually your asset would devalue. Tell you what sic-ricky lets, gawd willing, we string together 4/5 fun winning prideful seasons and see if your statement holds...

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Jumbo,

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 7, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

If Snyder comes out with a vote of confidence of Zorn, he'd get ripped for keeping him.

If he stays silent he gets ripped.

Posted by: rickyroge | October 7, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

...oh and this one's for me, it's been a long day, but please enjoy it as well:

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 7, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Yep, or Tim Duncan. Depending on the severity of it...it could be a really big deal.

By the way, I've put my money where my mouth is...so I'm not all talk. These are the bets I took this year on Skins:

over/under season wins 8.5 -110 went big on the over

over/under skins make the playoffs +180 went big on the over

skins win the division +500 went big on the skins

over/under on number of skins sacks 36 +160 went big on the over

Also have 5 bets on Jason Cambpell including yards, completion %, rating, TDs, Ints. 4 of the 5 are on pace to cover (INTs being the only not on pace, after the 3 picks he threw on Sunday)

I've had more success betting on Skins than just about any team over the years, including nailing the over on season wins the last 2 years (7.5). If the Skins go 10-6 or better, I will be one happy man.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

all you right wing freaks and by freaks i mean people who think obama was not born in the US, have you asked your doctors what they think of the health care plan and the current health care plan? if not. shut up and go ask someone who knows a thing or two about how insurance/pharma/biomed companies work...shti google the thing...no need to be ignant no more in the age of google.

Posted by: dealer1 | October 7, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

what/who/when/where?

Fundraiser for woundedwarriorsproject.org. Oct. 31. My house (don't think I'll be posting my home address on here).

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

W- Dec 21 NYG @ WAS
W - Dec 27 DAL @ WAS
W - Jan 03 WAS @ SD

10-6 and in the playoffs

Posted by: Barno1
-------------------------------------------
Wow! You have us winning all our home games including a home victory over the Saints, and winning our last 3 regular season games which includes a win over Revengeful Norv and the Chargers. But you have us losing to the Raiders! How did you come up with that scenario?

Posted by: akjproductions | October 7, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

dear jason reid, cindy boren, other staff writers/editors:
can we please find out how much sherman lewis is getting paid?

Posted by: BMACattack | October 7, 2009 9:58 PM

When the job was posted it was classified as GS-13. So, the salary range is $70,615 to $91,801.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 7, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

whatever z-jack......wow. I will refrain from the cheap political name calling based on gross generalizations...keep your money, don't want it don't need it.

Barno why is the Eiffel tower on a web site for US troop charity?

Also speaking of, sad story about that ex-Raven turned Us troop who probably committed suicide. The suicide rate of returning Iraq/Afgan war troops is truly tragic.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Barno why is the Eiffel tower on a web site for US troop charity?

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: akjproductions | October 7, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

The home games I have us winning because I think our players might actually be terrified to lose a home game in front of our fans this year, considering we boo even when we win (I'm only half kidding).

The loss at the Raiders seems inevitable to me. I actually think Detroit, St. Louis, and Tampa Bay are ALL better teams than the Raiders. And since we tend to play to our competition, and this game is in Oakland, I fear we'll blow this game. At which point we'll be 7-6 and the fan base will largely start to hyperventilate.

But don't worry, that will only set the stage for the grand finale...3 big wins in a row to close the year with momentum going into the playoffs.

Oh, and home playoffs at Fed Ex Field in the first round.

Get your popcorn ready!!!!

Ok...that's enough for tonight. Bedtime for Barno.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

"Internally, team officials have determined the offensive line needs to be addressed in a big way, there are problems in the running game and inexperience in the receiving corps."

Nice work boys. Real sharp. Next thing you know they'll figure out the world is round and there is this strange force that holds things down called "Gravity"

Posted by: Gweez | October 7, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

W- Oct 11 WAS @ CAR
W - Oct 18 KC @ WAS
W - Oct 26 PHI @ WAS
Bye
L - Nov 08 WAS @ ATL
W - Nov 15 DEN @ WAS
L - Nov 22 WAS @ DAL
L - Nov 29 WAS @ PHI
W - Dec 06 NO @ WAS
L - Dec 13 WAS @ OAK
W- Dec 21 NYG @ WAS
W - Dec 27 DAL @ WAS
W - Jan 03 WAS @ SD

10-6 and in the playoffs.

Posted by BARNO1

And you have the audacity to question the intelligence of Liberals?

Based on your prediction--and misunderestimation of those you disagree with--I'd have to say you are not only NOT an intelligent Conservative, but, in keeping with trickle down and other Righty philosophies, are certainly a delusional one.

Posted by: TheCork | October 7, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | October 7, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Bingo...I think the skins could win the superbowl and a bunch of people would be in here saying yeah but

Posted by: jumbo5383 | October 7, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

"And you have the audacity to question the intelligence of Liberals?"

in fairness cork that was zjfr2. Who's view of the Skins is more in line with yours. Go figure....

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Chris, I added an "s" accidentally. It's http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | October 7, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jumbo5383 | October 7, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

No doubt. This is how I live my life. If people are ungrateful I just give up on bettering myself and my endeavours. You two should be life coaches. No really.... Ok not really.

Posted by: Gweez | October 7, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jumbo5383

sure......c'mon try thinking.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 9:55 PM

My understanding is that inflammation of the plantar fascia (the long arch supporting your foot) totally sucks, really hurts, and takes a long time to go away. It was the undoing of Big Joe Salave'a. Eli is weak ... not a drop of Samoan in him. I'm taking the Raiders and the points against Carr.

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

And you have the audacity to question the intelligence of Liberals?

Posted by: TheCork | October 7, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

So you just like to make things up? This is your thing? Please show me where I questioned the intelligence of liberals.

Is it really too much to expect those that disagree with me not to make up lies about me?

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Knowing Snyder the way we have come to know him for the past decade or so, he probably got the tip to hire Sherman Lewis from Mike Shanahan. He probably approached Shanahan and said "If you were to pick an offensive coordinator right now, who would you pick?" Hint Hint.

Fast Forward to Circa January, 2010: Enter Mike Shanahan as head coach of your Washington Redskins. His first move? Sherman Lewis has just been promoted to...you guessed it. Offensive Coordinator.

This would actually be a shrewd move on Snyder's part if he has already made up his mind to fire Zorn after the season. Sherman would get the beat on the players on the roster now so Shanahan could hit the ground running. both on offense and defense.

This, of course, in light of the recent trip of Redskins One to Denver. Connect the dots, and Voila !!

Posted by: SmashMouth | October 7, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

peri

"I still think that all this team needs is a good, rock solid offensive line and most if not all the issues with the offense would disappear."

The panthers have a solid offensive line.

Thing is, their Quarterback, Jake Delhomme, has been a bumbling turnover machine.

Maybe if Campbell a panther next season, all the theories about his weaknesses being related to poor line play come true.

I doubt it, though.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 7, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

filmchis is mad as hell and isn't going to take it anymore!

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

gotcha barno.....i was like "wha"

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Moe: Yanks roll. CC baby! love fat athletes.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

SmashMouth, you gotta keep up with the rumor mill and conventional wisdom. Replace Shanahan with Holmgren and you have the conventional wisdom.

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

"And you have the audacity to question the intelligence of Liberals?"

I don't.

The Liberals aren't dumb.

We are.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 7, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

"dumb" & "intelligence" know no political boundaries. Can we move on now?

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

chrislarry

"Yanks roll. CC baby! love fat athletes."

I watched every pitch.

I think Twins' Ron Gardenhire is one of the best people and managers in all professional sports.

Joe Mauer is the AL MVP hands down.

But I want to keep the Yankee-love down to a mum in this blog--believe me, I am pumped about a possible Joe G v. Joe T World Series.

I don't want to annoy the redskin faithful in its time of stress with gloating.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 7, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

This is just so weird what the Redskins front office is doing. They hamstring Zorn by not getting a decent offensive line. They rattle the QB with offseason trade rumors. They watch the offense struggle. They bring in a guy who has been out of football for quite some time, who some may say has been passed by the game. It's like they have orchestrated this whole season for the ouster of Jim Zorn. Don't get me wrong. The poor play calling and the lack of discipline by the players is all on Zorn, but heck, just fire the guy. This is painful to watch. It's almost like Snyder is trying to punish the fans by putting this public humiliation under the lights.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 7, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

"dumb" & "intelligence" know no political boundaries. Can we move on now?

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Amen, four words for you. Rush Limbaugh Al Gore

Posted by: Gweez | October 7, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

moe i agree on all points. big yanks fan, but mad props for twins...

torre/donny baseball vs yanks would be epic.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

For the record, right here and now, I say that Holmgren > Shanahan. My conspiracy hat says Sherm Lewis is doing advance scouting for Holmgren. Look at Lewis' resume and you see Holmgren. BIG SHOW.

That said, I'm sticking with Zorn. Jason Campbell? Not so sure that I'm putting any sticky on him till he stops locking on the intended receiver and starts finding open the guys in the progression.

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

... It's almost like Snyder is trying to punish the fans by putting this public humiliation under the lights.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 7, 2009 10:43 PM

The anecdotes I've heard about The Owner as a person (from people who've worked for him) do not refute the suggestion of sadism.

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

smashmouth

"Enter Mike Shanahan as head coach of your Washington Redskins. His first move? Sherman Lewis has just been promoted to...you guessed it. Offensive Coordinator."

Does he keep Greg Blache?

Hope not.

Does he promote Jerry Gray?

Hope so.

Does he decide to let Santana Moss/Devin Thomas return punts?

Hope so.

Does he force Snyder's hand and bring in a general manager as a condition of his signng a deal?

Hope so.

Does he along with the gm determine a starting quarterback and offensive tackles are a must for the upcoming draft?

This final hope is some change we can believe in.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 7, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Ugh...politics.

And Sween, I'm with you. I think signs point to Holmgren over Shananigan.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 7, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe Sez: Liberals argued in the early '90s that the World Wide Web should be opened up to business concerns, and thus, having obviously won that argument, we have this blog and all other forms of idiotic, youtube-style entertainment.

Hmmm, I think I was there ... last I remember Al Gore tried to 'hi-jack' the whole idea of the 'Internet' and make it his idea by calling it the Information Super Highway. We'ums were taking none of it. It was actually a guy named Ed Postal's idea to open it up to businesses. The Internet clearly seems to be is a Jungian archetype MistaMoe and so the concept is easily understood across all cultural lines. That would include liberals and conservatives. Its current 'incarnation' was invented by a man named Bush ... not sure if he was conservative or liberal ... no, no, not George and his father .. a man named Vannevar. He described it pretty will in the July 1945 issue of Look magazine.

Posted by: periculum | October 7, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

"torre/donny baseball vs yanks would be epic"

I don't normally drink.

But if this happens, I'll be drunk everyday there's a game.

Even at work.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 7, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

But if this happens, I'll be drunk everyday there's a game.

Even at work.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 7, 2009

MistaMoe, he start with Port, 2 or 3 quart.

Posted by: periculum | October 7, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

count me in that the rune stones (I played D&D...sue me) point to Holmgren...

But wouldn't you think it would be odd for him to bury the knife in Zorn's back? I wonder if they had a falling out over the Mora heir apparent stuff...

I could see can Vinny hire Holmgren as GM keep zorn...but it seems clear he wants to coach...

Also don't give me this "zorn will be OC"....who would ever take that kind of demotion....oh yeah Gunther Cunningham...nuff said.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 10:56 PM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 7, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

peri

"..last I remember Al Gore tried to 'hi-jack' the whole idea of the 'Internet' and make it his idea by calling it the Information Super Highway..."

I was alive then, too, and remember the time well.

Then President George Bush wasn't too keen on the idea of opening up the 'Superinformation Highway' as, like a true conservative, he felt it had unseen military purposes.

But over time, former vice-president Gore (then a senator) prevailed upon Bush to make the change with how the web was viewed and he did.

And thank god he did.

And folks shouldn't mock Gore in this regard: dude had a habit then of talking about things most politicos ignored--the environment and global warming among them.

The guy you mentioned who the stated father of the Internet--and Englishman--died last year, I believe.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 7, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

scampbell1975

"I think Zorn would or forever be out of coaching in the NFL. But maybe not, hard to tell."

Jim Zorn would be a fine college head coach for a down-on-its-luck program that attracts quality high school quarterbacks.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 7, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 7, 2009 11:05 PM

He could coach at Hawaii.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 7, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Yup, Ed Postal wasn't happy with that. However, the National Security Agency designed the Internet, hired and hired the contractors to build it, invented the 1st router (the IMP), contracted to put NCP/TCP/IP into the Cryptographer's Workbench Operating System known as UNIX, well and yeah early on they basically invented the electronic computer to do cryptography but who's counting? So, yes it most definitely had MILITARY purposes as the ARPA/MILNET. Cryptography was and still is considered a munition as as far as I know.

The Internet was born from that because the NSA decided to give certain Universities the privilege of having an IMP at their campuses. Turns out the collaboration potential of email (Ed Postal again) was discovered very early on. So, every University had to have it. No IMPS except for the select few. Enter UUCP/USENET ... a way to use the UUCP serial line protocol over phone lines to 'extend' and 'expand' the Internet until a map of it looked like a 2 year old's wall painting.

The rest is history as they say ...

Gore's contribution was to take a very disorganized, highly anarchic mess and put it under the NSF. The NSF organized things, started the first DNS ISP (Network Solutions). Kind of took a rabble and made it into something a bit more structured if you will.

Vannevar Bush was an Ameican scientist ... well more of a technocrat of some repute. He was FDR's science advisor during the war. He it was that purportedly recommended dropping those atom bombs. He conceptually invented a a lot of other stuff like the WIKI, web search engines, etc. He died a while back

Nevertheless, he did attempt to 'steal' the Internet for political gain. Besides Al, you can't steal an archetype, its Universal? Its like stealing the idea of a "bogeyman".

Posted by: periculum | October 7, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

... but it wasn't until they brought in a pair of eyes from the Sunrise Home that the realization that trouble was afoot set in.

Posted by: daggar | October 7, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

I am disappointed that Lewis will not be doing his consulting from home like Fazio did. I was waiting for that first call to Snyder " I'm sorry Mr. Snyder, I didn't see the game. It wasn't shown in my area. Don't worry,next week I plan to go to a sports bar. "

Posted by: djorl | October 7, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Do you think this guy will have to marbles to tell Snyder what's really wrong with this team? Zorn may not be the guy but Vinny definitely kills our chances to contend by mismanaging the personnel every chance he gets. Does Sherm Lewis tell Danny what really needs to happen, like hire a real GM and then stay out of it?

Posted by: CitizenSkoal | October 7, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Let me get this straight: The Redskins offense is 27th in the league, and that has been the cause of - among other things - several articles by WaPo questioning the FO's hiring of Zorn, whether he's up to the task, why Snyder originally hired him as OC, only to make him the HC days later, etc...

Now, the team hires a WCO "expert" to at least provide some feedback to the league's 27th ranked offense, and the WaPo starts writing stories suggesting Zorn is being "undercut," etc.

LOL... This paper has fallen so far from the days when Kornheiser was a regular columnist that it ought to be given away for free, like The Village Voice.

At any rate, if the appearance of Lewis suddenly sparks some offensive output, it's all good to me.

I'm interested in seeing the Redskins win. Period.

I'll leave it to the WaPo to concern itself with the soap-opera-view of this football team.

Bunch of Nancys.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 7, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Sherm Lewis could be Bill Cosby in I Spy!

Posted by: periculum | October 7, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

... or in Leonard Part 6.

Posted by: daggar | October 7, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Vinny is an idiot when it comes to football. So is is the Napoleon.
8andeight - soon to return as 3andthirteen.

Posted by: 8andeight | October 8, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Do you think Tennessee would trade back to get Haynesworth?

Posted by: daggar | October 8, 2009 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Mad if we lose. Mad if we win.

Mad if we sign a FA. Mad if we don't.

Every bad draft pick is carved in stone.

Every good draft pick is swept under the rug.

Mad when Tryon plays bad. Mad when Tryon plays well.

Mad when we Fire'em. Mad when we don't.

Mad when we Hire'em. Mad when we don't.

Mad when we bring in a Big Name.

Mad when we bring in a No Name.

Mad if we Run. Mad if we Pass.

Mad if we're Home. Mad if we're Away.

You've made HYPOCRISY A WAY OF LIFE!

I think you just need to find a NEW TEAM!

YOU'RE NOT FANS, YOU'RE DEAD WEIGHT!

GO DRAG ANOTHER TEAM DOWN. WE DON'T NEED YOU.
Posted by: filmchis

_______________________________________________

So true, unfortunately.

Hey, I know they're O-4, but Carolina, on the road, after a bye week, is not going to be easy.

I hope Campbell keeps slinging those balls, picks or not. M Kelly ALMOST got to that one on the sideline. If they work on that pass a bit this week, it's a go. Orton's pass to Brandon Marshall wasn't any better and that went for 6.

Give our guys support. It's not easy playing "The Worst Team in the League" every dang week... especially when you're an "OK" team. There's not much of an upside to this schedule except if we WIN. Pretty or not, WIN. That's the best we can do.

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 8, 2009 3:32 AM | Report abuse

I have not been paying attention - are there still 11 players on offense?

Why must we have soo many fans who watch football like a cat watches string. Just follow the ball - qb has the ball so everything is him or the receivers. Pitt won two superbowls with Ben (every time I through the ball 30 times or more we lose)R. as the QB. Brad Johnson won a superbowl. Trent Dilfer won a super bowl.

Posted by: mul123 | October 8, 2009 3:55 AM | Report abuse

I keep on hearing about it is not scheme but the "execution".

Here is my question

What the hell are you doing to get the execution right ? It is the coaches job to get the execution right, either by motivating players or more practicing.

Are u making sure that players are going to practicing more or you are putting them in a better one on one situations.

We see MK does not gets jammmed at the line, are you putting him in motion, or just hope one game he will get off the blocks.

We all know Chris Cooley is not a great blocker, he is 50 - 50 then why the hell ask him to block, let him run.

Stephon Hyer is another story, why the hell you don't bench him, do not expect on the game day he will miss zero blocks and give zero sacks.

I believe it the "execution" on part of the coaches, not the players. Not knowing the their strengths and putting them in a sound system will not make it work Mr OC.

I just don't know where your ego is when team averages around 13 points in 20 games, Mr Zorn. If your offense was clicking then there would no consultants. Mr Synder would have given you a raise.

You have taken enough credit, the team is 10-10 because they have better DC and better defense. The DC has found out a way to use the 5th, 6th , 7th round picks to play. He is getting production out of Doughty , Horton , Moore, Tyron and Orakpo.

Mr Zorn, get production out of a guy who runs 4.3, why the hell when Devin Thomas is on the field then we call a run around 75 percent time.

if you don't get your job done, everyone gets consultant.

Know your players and play to their strengths.

Execute and be a better coach.

Posted by: dnaik | October 8, 2009 5:42 AM | Report abuse

Maybe the Defense should let the other team score more often so JC and JZ get motavated to throw the ball down field with urgency?

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 8, 2009 6:02 AM | Report abuse

I get a kick out of white guys who rip on black cats and can't wait to assimilate their terms and attitudes and clothing styles dance steps into their own culture.

White guys didn't turn their hats around, or first speak Jive. ...

Posted by: TheCork | October 7, 2009 6:20 PM |

Wrongo friendo, really wrongo. The first dude seen wearing a reversed cap was white boy Joe Walton, Jets coach in the 80's and our own RB coach before that. This from the NYT:

"Joe Walton has been distinguishable, if not distinguished-looking, by the peaked cap he wears backwards on the sidelines during Jets games. But even though he now has the title of head coach, New York Jets, Walton said yesterday that he still will wear his hat in that funny way while he wears a headset on the sidelines to communicate with his coaches in the press box."

Hip hop was born in NY in the 80's. The homies noticed Walton when they were watching Jets games, thought it was def and made it part of their clothing repetoire.

Posted by: LibertyValence | October 8, 2009 6:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 9:11 PM

If you have to brag about doing charity work, it's not likely you're doing anything for society either...just for your ego. Just sayin'.

And if you REALLY think the Redskins are going 10-6 this season, I have a bridge in London for sale you might be interested in...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 8, 2009 6:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CitizenSkoal | October 7, 2009 11:47 PM |

There's a consultancy chain of command and Sherm Lewis plopped in at the bottom rung. The next rung up is hire a consultant to evaluate GM performance and the top run is hire a consultant to evaluate owner performance. It always helps to go directly to the root cause of problems instead of farting around on the fringe with looking at symptoms.

Posted by: LibertyValence | October 8, 2009 6:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 10:56 PM

Agree that Zorn will never be OC for the Redskins, but not because it's a demotion. The job of OC would be above his grade level.

When he leaves here, no one will hire him as an OC. He'll be back coaching QBs.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 8, 2009 6:59 AM | Report abuse

In addition to helping HC Z with the WCO, Lewis can also prove to be a valuable assest in helping DC Blache and OLC Bugel with their retirement plans. He can learn them on how to call bingo games.

Posted by: LibertyValence | October 8, 2009 7:18 AM | Report abuse

The owner has no plan for Sherm Lewis, other than to spy on the coaching staff. Sherm Lewis is a snitch, plain and simple. Book it.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | October 8, 2009 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Campbell must take chances downfield even if he gets picked a couple of times. Look in years past, Rypien was never a high percentage guy. However he use to make big plays often. Look at how many pass interference penalties we draw, not very many.

Posted by: joeboggs | October 8, 2009 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 7, 2009 11:00 PM

I think Zorn, if I were invited to terminate his contract early, would definitely end up as an offensive coordinator ... and a good one. Lack of success as a head coach does not translate into lack of success as a coordinator. See Gregg Williams in New Orleans (hell, see Gregg Williams in Washington). See Cam Cameron (Miami, not so good ... Baltimore, so good). Do not see talent evaluator.

Posted by: dcsween | October 8, 2009 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Ideally, if it ends up as Holmgren (and I'm STILL saying it should stay Zorn ... turning around a decade of failure takes at LEAST three seasons), then ideally Holmgren would convince Russ Grimm to come to DC as the O-coordinator. Something bigger would need to happen for that to happen, like getting a real GM.

Posted by: dcsween | October 8, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone have Marty S email add?

Posted by: Hire_ShermL | October 8, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: joeboggs | October 8, 2009 7:51 AM

Moss was saying the same thing this week re: the three picks, that JC needs the freedom. If you venture nothing, you gain nothing. The higher the risk, the greater the reward.

Posted by: dcsween | October 8, 2009 7:58 AM | Report abuse

snyder should bring in a consultant to observe how HE does HIS job! then we would be makin some progress...

Posted by: cedric_lockhart | October 8, 2009 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Mayor,
I know you won’t read this , and I am sure you won’t take my advise but will you try to interview people who have the balls to stand behind ( attach their name ) to the commits they give you . All these unnamed sources give the perception that you are slanting the story in a biased direction. Just a thought.

Posted by: kts38 | October 8, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

lol we just hired a guy who has been playing bingo for the past five years

awesome...just awesome

Posted by: AhsanFamily | October 8, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Just an out there thought, is Lewis here as a death blow to Zorn or to Vinny.

Think about this.

Lewis is here to look at the big picture and see if the Coaches and Players are doing the right thing or not on offense. Now to me that sounds like a basic roll of a competent GM when it comes to assessing his team.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 8, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kts38 | October 8, 2009 8:12 AM

This will never happen. Journalists in several different areas routinely use unnamed sources. They're anonymous not because they don't have the balls to stand by their comments but because they're not supposed to be commenting at all. NFL execs aren't allowed to comment on other teams' rosters and if they do they're in trouble. So when beat reporters (and the Post is far from the only ones who do this) use anonymous sources, they must keep them that way if they ever want a source for anything ever again.

So if you want inside information, that's the only way you're getting it: off record and anonymously. If you want on the record drivel, get a press release.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 8, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

pretty ugly up here, lots and lots of piss and vinegar....

me, I'm hopeful that maybe this helps, maybe he adds something, see's something that turns this offense around. That being said, this comment from Sherm:

"I think we're doing the scheme the right way"

Made me spit water through my nose...the follow up question should have been something about 14 points a game, 27th in scoring....but, whateves I guess..

moe, congrats, 1 down...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 8, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | October 8, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

The Lewis thing is a no win situation for Zorn, if they start scoring points and moving the ball on offense then everyone will sya its because Lewis is here. If they continue like they have been, Zorn gets blamed anyway.

Posted by: joeboggs | October 8, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

The problem is the O-line...it absolutely stinks. No consistency whatsoever. Has Zorny made some questionable calls? Heck yeah! But this O-line is just waaay to inconsistent to get anything going. I think we will get better as the season progresses, I'm hoping Snyder doesn't blow the whole thing up before it gets the chance to turn around for us. Hail!

Posted by: Smiley2 | October 8, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

is it possible they bring in lewis to prep the team for holmgren?

Posted by: jj44skins | October 7, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Why would Holmgren take the job seeing how Snyder treated one of his guys.

Posted by: Redskins001 | October 8, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Marty went 8-8 with Tony Banks and we fired him because Snyder was not having fun. He and his boy Vinny didn't get to play together anymore. Now how does that make good business sense. When is last time your boss fired someone because he was not fun enough? This is the owner we have. Always trying to make a big splash. DAN SNYDER WOULD RATHER LOSE THAN NOT BE IN CONTROL! That is the bottom line!

Posted by: Redskins001 | October 8, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

i do not believe anyone is setting jc17 up to fail except jc17 himself.

Posted by: rls1041 | October 8, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

PDiddy is right - you can't make this up.

I posted last evening on the stories - Lewis shows up with no plan, is quoted as knowing "zero," has been out of football for 5 years, was not a sought-after HC or coordinator position before he retired (including the search Snyder & Vinny ran, and just left the bingo parlor is his rear view mirror.

That is such an apt description of the state of the front office of this team - in particular, Snyder & Vinny are a "zero."

Posted by: i155133 | October 8, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

PUT IN COLLINS AND WE WILL SCORE MORE POINTS. I HEARD SOMEONE AT THE BINGO PARLOR SAY THIS. A BUNCH OF MORONS RUNNING THIS THING. I BLAME GEORGE ALLEN FOR GETTING INVOLVED, BUT MY INTEREST WAINS A BIT MORE EVERY WEEK I WATCH THIS JUNK.

Posted by: cavalieri10 | October 8, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I don't know if that bingo comment is ready for the printed page.

Excellent point on Zorn probably wishing for someone with whom he'd had a history. That's a great catch. Makes you wonder if Sherm is supposed to be helping Zorn or finding ways to critique him to make the firing letter sound better before Holmgren.

Posted by: WorstSeat | October 8, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Things have really hit bottom when a sports blog has turned into a political scene.

Posted by: i155133 | October 8, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Team management acknowledges the offensive line needs major work, the running game nees help (i.e. a break away back), and the receivers are young. Does that sound like a coaching problem or a personnel problem? Did Vinny and Danny really think the line would make it through the year in once piece considering the age/injuries? Did they expect Kelly and Thomas to catch 70-80 balls between them after barely playing as rookies?

It's pretty obvious that they have greased the skids to get rid of both Zorn and Campbell after the season. Lewis was brought in as a 'consultant' so that Vinny had another set of eyes to evaluate the shortcomings in Zorn and the offense. He's trying to save his skin since he's the one that didn't address the obvious shortcomings on the O-Line during the draft or free agency.

If Snyder ever spoke to someone knowledgable about football outside the organization like Holmgren or Cowher, they'd tell him to get rid of Vinny, hire a real GM, and then let the GM hire the coach. Snyder doesn't want to hear this because he thinks he's got all of the answers himself.

Posted by: wizfan89 | October 8, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 8, 2009 6:31 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood, the over/under in vegas for the Redskins wins this year is 8.5 -120, which means it's closer to 9 wins than 8. So, I think the Redskins will win ONE more game than the oddsmakers in Vegas...yeah, I must be crazy. Or maybe it's that you're too negative a fan to see all the positives with this team.

Btw, I was not bragging in the slightest bit. I had just been called a "vile and disgusting human being" and figured I should defend myself.

Get a clue.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 8, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

OK did I really just read:"Internally, team officials have determined the offensive line needs to be addressed in a big way," Are we to understand the the brain trust over there are just getting around to realizing this? everybody else in the northern hemishphere discussed this prior to hte draft and we went defense. Fire Cerrato and get a real GM.

Posted by: PKLBS | October 8, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I am sitting at work in a cube farm, but I could not stifle a loud laugh when I read "Internally, team officials have determined the offensive line needs to be addressed in a big way". This should be coming from an article written in 2007, not 2009.

Posted by: Wellsee | October 8, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse