Zorn Elaborates on Mason's Role

With four running backs on the roster, Marcus Mason (recent Punk'd victim) is not expected to be active often during the season.

"I envision him being in that situation where, if he becomes a core special teams player, he can make a case for being active," Coach Jim Zorn said. "Other than that, I don't know how I can activate four running backs, so he'll be on that bubble, trying to get active. Part of that will be up to him and how he works into special teams. We can't just have him as the fourth guy, or even the third guy."

If Portis or Betts were unable to practice, Mason would get the reps and play during the season. "Mason is our No. 3 guy," running backs coach Stump Mitchell said. "If something happened where both of those guys last year, Ladell and Clinton, were banged up during the course of the week and couldn't practice [Shaun] Alexander took all the reps, but those two guys played during the course of the game.

"It wouldn't be that way this year. If Mason is taking all of the reps, he definitely would be getting some of the carries during the course of the game."

Mason has much improved in pass protection, Mitchell said.

"He had the opportunity to pick up blitzes during the preseason," Mitchell said. "He did that."

By Jason Reid  |  September 8, 2009; 4:30 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Williams Overcomes Shaky Finish
Next: Campbell Steps into Leadership Role

Comments

Not interested in first as much as the best.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 8, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

simple solution, dump Rock, insert Mason....case closed.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 8, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

No intro needed:

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2009 4:33 PM |

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Re Post from pervious thread:

Red DMV- Looks like I accidentally touched a nerve. Wow. Sorry. All I meant was that Rock's argument was weak--as weak as the race card.

Posted by: bostskin | September 8, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bostskin | September 8, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Bills cut their starting LT, Langston Walker, today per cbssports.com...lets end the BMW project and sign this guy up!

Posted by: mattylight | September 8, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | September 8, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I don't think we have the cap room to get him. That's why we have BMW in the first place. If we had the cap room we'd make a play for Levi Jones, Runyan, or Tauscher.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 8, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Ryan O'Halloran phrases the outlook much differently than JReid.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 8, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Can't figure out the Bills. They dump the one OT to Philly, they cut Dockery. Now they cut this guy Langston? they signing new OL's off the street. After going to the trouble of signing T.O. you'd think they'd want their QB upright long enough to throw to him.

Posted by: skinswest | September 8, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

simple solution, dump Rock, insert Mason....case closed.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 8, 2009 4:37 PM

Rock is a ST captain, so that's something. Rock may not like it, but the coaches must think pretty highly of his ST skills since he'll be active every game and Mason won't.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 8, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I would love to walk up to Ashton Kutcher and say, 'Ashton, I'm going to smash your teeth in'. And then do it.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 8, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Yeah 4th O'Halloran has far less detailed quotes from Zorn pertaining to his thinking about 4 RBs on roster....This post isn't JReid's opinion it almost all direct quotes from HC.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 8, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Bills will be flat awful this year.

Posted by: bostskin | September 8, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Buffalo is a mess right now. Can't see them winning many games at all.

Posted by: will_ga | September 8, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

4. Redskins 7-9

I love the defense, which could become the best in the division. And I do trust in Jason Campbell. That tells you how much I don't believe in the right side of the line, the quality and depth at receiver, the Clinton Portis/Jim Zorn relationship and, simply, Jim Zorn.

Adam Schein

Agree on the OL. Agree that the defense is very good (though best is a tall order with the jints in the mix). More optimistic about the WRs. We'll see if his comment about Zorn is merited. I hope it isn't, but it might be.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 8, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Mason is insurance so they don't have to go after a washed up Sean Alexander-type again if/when Portis gets hurt. Now if Betts doesn't show a decent run/receiving threat as a 3rd down back maybe Mason earns PT sooner than later.

Posted by: skinswest | September 8, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Thats actually positive from Shein's normal assesments of skins...

Posted by: chrislarry | September 8, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswest | September 8, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. Obviously Betts played great a few years ago when CP was injured -- but in retrospect I wish we had traded him during that offseason -- the whole "buy low, sell high" strategy...we could have gotten a decent pick for him, and you can always find a RB in the draft for less money...

Posted by: mattylight | September 8, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | September 8, 2009 4:37 PM
-------------------------------------
How can he be their starting LT if they cut him? I'm just saying...

They gonna play with no LT this year? Maybe LT confuses Coach Jauron. Maybe LT is too complex a position? Very confusing this all is

Posted by: noonefromtampa | September 8, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

simple solution, dump Rock, insert Mason....case closed.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

But what about those stunning kick returns for 15 -20 yards? Who will fill that gaping ST void?
Either Zorn is lying or he's sort of out to lunch. He brings Mason on and then says he'll have to work his way up in ST to get any game time. That's BS.

Posted by: pgugino | September 8, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

seriously, set rock free, and use DT/MM on returns. How many special teams tackles did Rock have last year?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 8, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

ChRis LaRry - O'Hal had the same comments posted in a previous thread.

But, come on. Can we take what he says at face value? I doubt it. Betts will get a month's head start to prove himself. But, he can easily find himself on the wrong side of the gameday active roster when Mason gets his chance.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 8, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

They really need to draft a running back in a higher round ... an all-around athlete that can help on specials and start on offense ... with speed.

But with Portis signed long-term, plus Betts I don't see that happening next year ... maybe in 2011 or 2012 (end of the world as we know it ;) ).

Next year its OT/OL/cornerback I guess.

Posted by: periculum | September 8, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

bostskin, why even bring it up in the first place. No one was talking about race, or the fact that Rock's being discriminated against here. You're trying to make a comparison? What does one have to do with the other?

Ever heard of apples and oranges?

Anyway...

4th, I'm far from red boned. I ain't "blue" (Think: Shawn Springs), but I ain't red, nor yellow by a long shot.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

It seems like they want Marcus Mason to take Rock Cartwright's place, but it's on him to do it. To paraphrase brown26: He has to EARN IT. They're not going to GIVE it to him. If they didn't think much of him, they wouldn't have kept on the 53 roster.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 8, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

simple solution, dump Rock, insert Mason....case closed.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Bean for once we agree, I have never understood Rock's sacred cow status, he is a member of all the bad coverage units and can't return punts. The only thing he does is consistently get us decent kick returns, hardly an irreplaceable quality.....

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

simple solution, dump Rock, insert Mason....case closed.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Posted by: pgugino | September 8, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------------

That's exactly what he's talking about.. replacing Rock on ST. There was just a blurb the other day in which Danny Smith slobbered on Rocks Man Jewels for filling 4 roles on ST, so Mason would have to fill those roles to have a chance... I don't think there's anything ambiguous about it at all.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 8, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

So Mason is the #3 RB, but will be the inactive #4 on gameday?

That's reminiscent of the complicated depth-chartery the first half of the '06 season, when Campbell was the #2 QB, but the inactive #3 on gameday.

Interesting to see if this plays out the same way...

Posted by: 4-12 | September 8, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pgugino

Wouldn't be surprised if Mason IS the next Rock. ST guy and #3 RB.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 8, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

MOE:

"I for one NEVER stopped a sex act..."....

This, like all other issues, is related to how much I've been paid to perform the act or how much I've paid to have it performed.

MOE, you are truely one sick, demented puppy. LOL

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 8, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Apples and Oranges... Wow. You're a deep guy Red, don't let the rest of the crew here get you down. Just remember, a penny saved is a penny EARNED.

Posted by: bostskin | September 8, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1:

Thanks for the props on the previous article. I like your take on CARTWRIGHT/MASON as well.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 8, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

So what's this I hear about some dude named Marcus Mason making the final cut?

Furthermore, what's this I'm hearing about him improving his pass-blocking skills?

Who said this? Stump Mitchell? The RBs coach? The coach that would know his progress in that area better than anyone else? Even more than Jason "I-have-Mega-Wood-to-see-Mason-get-axed" Reid?

Nah, surely not.

Who is this Marcus Mason?

Posted by: RedDMV | September 8, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Who is this Marcus Mason?

Posted by: RedDMV | September 8, 2009 5:04 PM

A cowboy fan.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 8, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Langston Walker would look a lot better to me as insurance against an injury at the tackle spot than Baptiste and BMW

Posted by: thinker11 | September 8, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

cL - You gotta rmember that JReid is already on record as being against Mason. So watch out for posts that will either lift up Rock/Betts or down MAson; or atleast appear that way. As this one does. Betts also has to find his nitche on STs to stay active, but this posts says nothing of the sort.

Example:

"Barring injury or unforeseen circumstances, starter Clinton Portis and backup Ladell Betts, the team's primary third-down back, will be active every game. Rock Cartwright is a standout on special teams, so he's in the mix every game as well.
"

These are JReid's words. Not Zorn's. This is his assumption. His and only his. Not Vinny's, not Stump, and certainly Not Zorn's.

NOW. Here is what O'Hal's take is:

"The locks are Clinton Portis as the starter and, most likely, Cartwright as a core special teams player. That will leave Betts and Mason to fight for playing time.

Betts wasn't cut because it would have triggered a $3 million hit on this year's salary cap, severely limiting the Redskins' in-season spending flexibility.
"

See. This confirms my 1st post that O'Hal has a different take. So stop hating on me and let's let true Americans with Maps being True Americans with Maps......

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 8, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Of the 53 players on the squad, how many can be active each week?

Posted by: carocanesfan | September 8, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I could see these 8 guys being deactivated on game day, so the week 1 roster will be at 45:

1. Mason
2. Marko Mitchell
3. Kevin Barnes
4. Bryon Westrbook
5. Robert Henson
6. Edwin Williams
7. Jeremy Jarmon
8. Renaldo Wynn

I think by mid-season you will see Jarmon, Mithcell, and one of the young corners in regular rotation.

Posted by: goose33 | September 8, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Botskin,
I think the reason Red jumped on you was because your post was really f-ing stupid. Hope that clears things up.

Posted by: mack1 | September 8, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

And why didn't the Post include in any of it's articles the Rock Statements where he admitted he wasn't a good RB and might as well only show up for ST meetings? I 1st saw these statements on CSN SportsRise. Then the Times. But not the Post. Conspiracy?

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 8, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17
__________________________

What is our cap room right now? How highly is Langston rated?

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 8, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

pgugino:

I think the gaping hole in the wedge return has a LOT to do with this CARTWRIGHT/MASON controversy. Special teams appear to be hurting. Why?

1- No wedge formation. This was designed for CARTWRIGHT's special skill set as a runner at least on the REDSKINS club, not speaking to other franchises.

2- K.CAMPBELL, and oh I forget the other ST guy, gone. This is a lot to overcome on teams. Never mind that CAMPBELL couldn't stick somewhere else. He filled a specific role on teams and is being missed here.

3- HUNTER SMITH brings a whole new dynamic to the punting coverage that will require adjustments and time to smooth out.

DANO has a real make over to accomplish and it takes time. We'll see Sunday how he's adapted so far.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 8, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

And Red. I was joking wit your Non-Red(boned) a$$....I could care less what your complextion is! (Though I if I may say I have a great bronze complextion going on at the moment)...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 8, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

1. Mason
2. Marko Mitchell
3. Kevin Barnes
4. Bryon Westrbook
5. Robert Henson
6. Edwin Williams
7. Jeremy Jarmon
8. Renaldo Wynn

Posted by: goose33 | September 8, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Either Barnes or Westbrook will be active. Probably Westbrook for now. No way with Carlos's recent injury issues and Smoot's age they will go with just Rogers, Hall, Smoot, and Tryon at corner. They will go with five.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | September 8, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I'll consider the source on that one, Mack.

Posted by: bostskin | September 8, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

1. Mason
2. Marko Mitchell
3. Kevin Barnes
4. Bryon Westrbook
5. Robert Henson
6. Edwin Williams
7. Jeremy Jarmon
8. Renaldo Wynn

Posted by: goose33

I'm guessing we dress no more than 8 OL, maybe 7. I think either Wynn or Jarmon dresses and Westbrook or Barnes.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 8, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bostskin

Get me down? Um, no one is getting me down, ya dig? Your post before this one screams: "Ooops I f'd up. Let me try and clean it up by trying to spin it away from what I was really trying to say."

If I didn't know any better, I'd think that you would've wanted someone to bring up race regarding Rock Cartwright. That way you put it out there where you're really coming from.

You are from Boston, correct? I have family up there.

Heytidid it

No disrespect to the only other Bostonian on the board, but I found it to be worse than any southern state when it comes to racism, and I've been through most of the south.

Penny saved, penny earned? What the f*** does that mean? Some glee club sweater wearing a-hole "ghetto" joke? Why don't you be direct? I don't understand crony ass attempts at humor. I think I know where yo maybe trying to take it...

"Deep" deez nutz in yo' mouf, ma'f****. Is that abstract enough for you?

Posted by: RedDMV | September 8, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor |

You can't possibly be shocked. The Rock Cartwright love affair didn't end when LaCanHater left for the network. The Mayor appears a bit smitten with him as well.

By the way Rock, you SHOULD consider yourself strictly a Teams player and not a RB.

Posted by: dcwun | September 8, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Walker is an 8-year vet who started at RT in Buffalo the last two years and did not make the cut at LT when they tried to move him this year. This is the kind of veteran depth I thought we were getting with Bridges. I'd like to see Walker added over Baptiste.

Posted by: dc-nc | September 8, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

1. Mason
2. Marko Mitchell
3. Kevin Barnes
4. Bryon Westrbook
5. Robert Henson
6. Edwin Williams
7. Jeremy Jarmon
8. Renaldo Wynn

Posted by: goose33 | September 8, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

No way, its mostly lineman that are inactive, no way they deactivate 2 corners leaving just 4 for the game, same at receiver.

It will probably be:
E. Williams or W. Montegomery
Mike Williams or Batiste
Jarmon
Gholston or Monte (Alexander apparently has D. Evans role, no way they have 5 DTs active)
Yoder
Mason
1 corner (Barnes I think)
and last one probably is a Glenn or Wynn

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't be surprised if Mason IS the next Rock. ST guy and #3 RB.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 8, 2009 4:58 PM

And they're both named after professions.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 8, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

mattylight and PAskinsfan17:

All these starting tackles probably still see themselves as JON JANSEN did when he was ushered out the door in REDSKINS-land. They think they were screwed by a numbers game and can still bring it on the field. JON played statue to JUSTIN TUCK's corner rushes last season.

They've got to believe their time is fading. If we could find one that would sign a one-year for the league minimum and a good size bonus that doesn't count against the cap, then maybe. But I wouldn't count on it. I would be actively pursuing the possibility however with every one of them other than JANSEN.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 8, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Are we joanin', 4th? Awwwwww, man...

Bronze?

4th, you ol' King Tut face bama...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 8, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

A ROCK MASON. Is that like a WORD SMITH only with musical notes rather than lyrics?

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 8, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Is that anti-DT11 bias? Hell, I just laid out a game plan for the dude. As for my comment on his polish and reliability, I believe I speak the truth.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz |

Not one to cause more of a ruckus here, but I'm pretty sure Thomas, who can't learn where to run, has taken the time to learn Polish.

Posted by: TheCork | September 8, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

"king tut face bama" - well, that's just about got to put him in his place...

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 8, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

"Deep" deez nutz in yo' mouf, ma'f****. Is that abstract enough for you?

Posted by: RedDMV | September 8, 2009 5:19 PM

Okay, fair warning to the rest of you pansies up here. Three guys you don't want to mess with on RI: RedDMV, theCork, and me. You got it? I'm not very tough, personally, but I've copied a lot of their stuff and I can paste it on a moment's notice.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 8, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

So True, T_E - No one will ever come up with "king tut face bama" on their own!

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 8, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

"MOE, you are truly one sick, demented puppy."

Thanks, kind sir.

I'll admit to being, as the raters say, "...out of the box..." if some of them admit to being "..off of the pipe..".

That is, if they are.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 8, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Of the 53 players on the squad, how many can be active each week?

Posted by: carocanesfan | September 8, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

carocanesfan, you can have 45 on the "game day" roster, so you must have 8 unactive.

there is the one exception, when if you carry 3 qb's, you only have 7 unactive, thus giving you 46. In our case, our 3rd qb will be ARE

Posted by: m1ke3i6 | September 8, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

So True, T_E - No one will ever come up with "king tut face bama" on their own!

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 8, 2009 5:31 PM

Oh, yeah? Now you wanna piece of me, JohnDinHouston? Well "Deep" deez nutz in yo' mouf, ma'f****.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 8, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Moe, it's not raters it's rater, i.e., the one and only TE or his alter ego FirstTimePoster.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 8, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

And I got more where that came from, JohnDinHouston.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 8, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

nice to see Alex leading the projected FF scoring for week 1.

HIs top guys?

Drew Brees projected at 29 and Fred Jackson projected at 22. Heck, I've got Fred Jackson in the other league, but 22 points? Good luck with that!!!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 8, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

I predict the Redskins depth will be tested early.

I don't think Randy Thomas will last four games...Samuels won't last six.

I see why the Skins kept Williams, but if there is a viable Tackle out there on waivers, I bring him in the game after Williams plays. Williams doesn't seem to be able to pass block.

...but what do I know?

Posted by: rickyroge | September 8, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------

Well you know because the opposing defensive lineman is always in the backfield stuffing plays, or is draped around the quarterback making sacks.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 8, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

after watching the jags game I'm thinking they cut Bridges for character issues because he was killing his guy from the LT position. I know of was scrub time, but still.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 8, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

No disrespect was intended for the homie, 4th...

To "joan": to engage in a good natured back in forth, but could be considered as "dissin" another person.

Besides, he said I was a "non-redboned a$$"...

Joanin' is good, not to be confused with "Joansing" or "Jonsing", which aren't good most of the time.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 8, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

MistaMOE:

Rightous dude. Thanks for the grins.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 8, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Jarmon is active: he made the team because of his special teams play. Remember he replaced Rob Jackson so this must be why. My guess is they keep seven OL active. Guessing Alexander can still do this in a pinch.

If Thomas actually became good at returning kicks and punts? He has to be a potential inactive at this point, it would have been smart to make himself invaluable in that role. One wonders why Mason didn't figure this out? He hasn't made it very far with any team after 3 years.

So, pick one of Montgomery and Williams, plus either BMW or Batiste to be active.

All the linebackers play special teams. As should all of those corner backs. If I had to guess Barnes would be inactive. Westbrook knows a bit about special teams.

If they put off a DL have to assume its Wynn. He doesn't play on the specials. Golston, Montgomery, Alexander probably would.

Inactives:
1. Marcus Mason
2. Chad Rhinehart
3. Wil Montgomery
4. Mike Williams
5. Renaldo Wynn
6. Kevin Barnes
7. Devin Thomas
8. Davis or Yoder

Posted by: periculum | September 8, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

How's that tinfoil hat fitting 4th?

What this really demonstrates is how dumb the roster rules are, you have 53, you should be able to suit up 53. You cover the discrepency for injured players by creating shorter 4/6 week IR stints.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 8, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Is there anything better than a revved up RedDMV?!

Posted by: chrislarry | September 8, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | September 8, 2009 5:46 PM

Agree on both. Except I'd add the "practice squad" to the roster. But then they'd have to pay them like players.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 8, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

4th Floor:

Stay out of those tanning beds my man. They are extremely dangerous to your health.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 8, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Is there anything better than a revved up RedDMV?!

Posted by: chrislarry | September 8, 2009 5:48 PM

It's close but LaGarrette Blount may be slightly better because of his devastating right hand.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 8, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

TE/cL: The love affair is back on!

Posted by: chrislarry | September 8, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Is there anything better than a revved up RedDMV?!

Posted by: chrislarry | September 8, 2009 5:48 PM

The guy is gifted. Cork has the gift, too, in the cranky-old-man, get-off-my-lawn style.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 8, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Aw gee, I gotta take notes... gosh darn it, "bama" isn't a good thing is it? As a former Alabama resident that's a bit disheartening. Next one, "deep deez nuts" is that a colloquialism for tea bagging perhaps? Or a reference to a pistachio fetish? Kick off is less than a week away, really need to learn the play book by then....

Posted by: will_ga | September 8, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

This from the learned hand. Good, very good. I like it!

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 8, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 8, 2009 5:15 PM

You mean the adjustments required when the punts actually travel in an arc?

Posted by: dcsween | September 8, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Sorry if this was mentioned already, but does anyone know why you can't dress all 53 each week? What is the purpose of that rule?

Posted by: Rusty6392 | September 8, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one that was weirded out by periculum's little song/poetry attempt re: Marcus Mason in the last thread? Was that the Unabomber Manifesto Part II?

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 8, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 8, 2009 5:59 PM |

Not only were you the only one weirded out, I'm betting you were the only one who actually read it. You look to the bottom of a post and see periculum, then you keep scrolling.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 8, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Made by a Giants fan but is some Funny Shl!t Surely one of us with editing skills can do better.

Posted by: will_ga | September 8, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator

See it's tips like that that can make a difference. If only Monk, Clark and Sanders had bothered to give Desmond Howard the same kind of advice...

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 8, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

I don't htink they would have Rhinheart and Montgomery that inactive that would leave us with no back-up interior o-lineman but everybody I agree with.

Posted by: robbkels | September 8, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rusty6392

--------

Because they don't want a competitive disadvantage to go to those teams with injuries. The Giants are missing a number of players this week, but they minimize their loss by forcing the Redskins to not dress 8 of their own players, regardless of whether or not they're injured. It helps even out the game-day playing field from injuries.

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

will, the term "bama" has several iterations both bad and indifferent, which can often be determined by context. If it's used followed by an expletive or two, e.g., "You bama-ass_d muthasjk" or if it's used to describe one's style of dress or manner of being, e.g., "He's such a bama," that's not good. Sometimes its used to describe a person most often a male whose name may not be known to the speaker or the hearer, e.g., when someone says of a hot DJ "that bama be crankin'" or asks "do you know the bama who sells bootlegs at the barber shop," nothing negative is meant.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 8, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 8, 2009 6:13 PM |

Thanks for clearing that up! Confusing at times. Almost had the urge to get all bama & yell Roll Sjking Tide but didn't really want to offend any potential Hokie type people who might be dropping by the blog.

Posted by: will_ga | September 8, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Oh, suuuuure Red, you say nobody should bring racism into a conversation...but you take the time to WRITE in ebonics!

lol

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | September 8, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Rusty.

Why not expand the 53-man roster to say 60-sentient beings and dress 53 on game day.

With the number of injuries each year, it would probably improve certain aspects of the game too.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 8, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 8, 2009

Hah!

Dude, let's see the RI nation flick their Bics in salute to you as they did to me!? Caught more than one link to UTubed "Root Boy Slim" doing his thang as my scrollbar slithered down my browser.

No appreciation of real down-home DC Swing musicality ... just goes to show the level of ineptitude and ignorance of our so-called "lead blogguhs". There something not right about you if you can't appreciate the man and his music.

Posted by: periculum | September 8, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Did you folks already discuss the fact that 16 ESPN "experts" just gave their predictions on the season and NOT A SINGLE ONE have the skins making the playoffs!!

Every other beast team gets at least one vote for division champ and we don't even get a wildcard birth. It's time to put a large chip on the shoulder and play with some spite.

Posted by: boozyb | September 8, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Don't know how this is possible but the Redskins now appear to have the lowest cap number in the NFC East?

WASHINGTON REDSKINS
2009 Salary Cap: $129,424,475
Player with Highest Cap Number: DT Albert Haynesworth ($7,007,280; 5.5% of cap)
Highest Cap Number for a Player No Longer with Club: RT Jon Jansen ($6,266,070; 4.9% of cap, third on club)
Player Who Has to Live Up to Cap Number: DT Albert Haynesworth ($7,007,280; 5.5% of cap)

Anytime you agree to the most lucrative free-agent contract in the history of the sport, there is a significant amount of pressure placed on your shoulders. However, when adding the fact that the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year has to combat the ghosts of Adam Archuleta and Brandon Lloyd (who, by the way, counts for $5,333,334 of 2009 cap space, sixth-highest on the Redskins), then it further compounds the challenge ahead of Haynesworth. It's a huge gamble for the Redskins, both on the field and in regard to their cap. But if Haynesworth can wreak havoc like he did for the past two seasons with Tennessee, the gamble will clearly pay off. Hopes are that Haynesworth is not the 2009 version of Sean Gilbert.

by J.I. Halsell, a former Salary Cap Analyst for the Washington Redskins, now covers the salary cap for Football Outsiders.

Posted by: periculum | September 8, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

ESPN did rank the Redskins consistently to finish 4 sometimes 3 in the division. With the caveat that there is no shame in finishing 4th in this division. Many did say that in any other division they would be considered in the mix for the division title.

Posted by: periculum | September 8, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Ostensibly, an Oscar Meyer Weiner is better than a revved up Red DMV, but then, that's just the racist perspective.

Posted by: bostskin | September 8, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Is there anything better than a revved up RedDMV?!

Posted by: chrislarry | September 8, 2009 5:48 PM |
===========================================

A rewwed up RedDMV?
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | September 8, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Boy, if this post doesn't back what I've been saying all along...keeping Mason only makes sense if you're gonna use him. Barring injury, this dude probably gets the same amount of carries he got last year...which is NONE.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 8, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Mason needs to be our short yardage runner. He's thick and can deliver a bruising hit.

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

no shame, no shame indeed.

The trouble is Peri, we're the Redskins, we won't be happy until we dominate the division and the league and give our opponents nightmares, make them quiver in fear and wet their pants sometimes just a little.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 8, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

no shame, no shame indeed.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 8, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm happy the guys at ESPN have us fourth and third in most cases. First, it lowers expectations for jerk fans and media pundits who don't watch the games or do the research. Second, those guys are always wrong. Peter King wrote he hadn't been right about Super Bowl teams since 1984 (or 1994, cant remember.
There's always 3/4 teams that are under the radar that make noise. Last year the Falcons, Dolphins, and Ravens made the playoffs, none of which were predicted to do much of anything.

Also, look at the ESPN Power rankings and you'll see we play 6 of the 7 worst teams. Including the bottom 4.

Not really a stretch.

Posted by: saltine182 | September 8, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Not really a stretch.

Posted by: saltine182 | September 8, 2009

All things being equal ... but they're not. On offense because of the age, injuries, yet with veteran savvy and talent it seems like it would be better to throw the ball a whole heck of a lot more and run it less.

Thus a west coast offense is instituted.

I'll have to see that to believe it ...

Landry should probably play closer to the line of scrimmage to "create some havoc" there. The linebacking is key. And Landry can help the linebacking "come up to speed".

A lot of adjustment/adapting to personnel and injuries will have to occur. I assume that Blache will know what to do to adjust to any problems at cornerback.

Posted by: periculum | September 8, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

ya know what irritates me, though, is how similar our back-loaded schedule looks to last years and we'll probably start off strong again this year.

Even if start 6-2 again, we'll still be skeptical after last years team teased us to the point of blue balls.

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

"Landry should probably play closer to the line of scrimmage to "create some havoc" there." -periculum

Yea even though our corners look weak, our safeties don't with Kareem Moore looking up to the task of FS for a few packages while we take advantage of Landry'z blitz skillz

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

There was a special sportcenter that just came on with all the ESPN insiders discussing their predictions. John Egghead Clayton said his surprise sleeper playoff team was the Redskins, because they have a easy schedule with the AFC west, Lions, etc. He said if the Skins can atleast finish 3-3 in the division they'll be 11-5. I like those odds

Posted by: ga8085 | September 8, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | September 8, 2009 8:26 PM |

Clayton may be an egghead but out of all those "insiders" he's the best. Schefter's alright but he is wrong as much as he is right.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

ga8085,

and how about their new guy Adam Chefter or sumthin like that..he had Aaron Rodgers as the league MVP and Green Bay in the Superbowl. can you say 'crack pipes'

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Obviously one of the wild card teams will come outta tha Beast..which division does the second team come outta?

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

LOL. Yeah, I think he went overboard on that one.

Posted by: ga8085 | September 8, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | September 8, 2009 6:40 PM

periculum, I've got to hand it to you that you have the thickest skin of anyone up here. You're an inspiration to us all. Hats off to you. Well done.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 8, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Bob Evans > IHOP

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I'd post that espn article to the wall in the Skins locker room. And I'd circle the line marked defensive player of the year. Because 16 espn writers predicted the DPOY ... and 8 of those predictions named a d-lineman in the NFC East. But the name Albert Haynesworth was not there .. at all.

Post it on the wall at Redskins Park. Because few things will have a bigger impact on the NFC East than a disrespected and angry Albert Haynesworth.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 8, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Dutch Vally(Sarasota, Fl) > Bob Evans

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

dcsween:

Your 5:57 p.m. Yes, that's what I mean without trying to de-mean the previous REDSKINS punter whose name was......

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 8, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Dutch Vally(Sarasota, Fl) > Bob Evans

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 8:47 PM

Vicc bringing it tonight with the fine dining guide. If I hadn't just finished supper, I'd be in my car right now.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 8, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

I am 100% okay with Mason riding the pine for the first few games. Odds are Portis will get dinged up and the team will be much more likely to rest Portis for a game if they know they can bring in Mason to back up Betts. Mason just needs to make the most of his opportunities.

Here's another thing to ponder: Cartwright seems to be a bit of a malcontent and he has little value as a running back. There's nothing wrong with the Redskins poaching one of those scat-backs from another team's developmental roster. I really like Mike Hart or Kory Sheets from Indy and San Fran respectively. They should dump Rock and sign one of those two guys to the regular roster. This would give the team a legitimate change of pace back and still keep Mason around in case CP or LB get injured.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 8, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator

Ya, tryin to smoke out da weed beez, Naw Mean? tryin to spark da convosation, Naw Mean? trying to figure out why frak and periculum neva post on da same thread, Naw Mean?

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead

`
We should check out that youngin from Carolina: Mike Goodson. I dunno if he made their 53 man roster, but da kid can flat out fly! And the Panthers always find talent at Rb. He's waaaaay better than Alridge or Dorsey and just as fast.

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

saltine

"It's probably gonna take 10 wins to make the playoff this year, and assuming we go 5-1 against those teams, we need to go .500 the other 10 games."

I'm the only poster sober enough to believe the skins can go 10-6 and sneak into the playoffs.

Of course, if they don't make it into the playoffs, I'm hoping they finish 6-10, just close enough to the top to land Sam Bradford.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 8, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Tudor's Biscuit World > Bob Evans

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

"Odds are Portis will get dinged up" - RedSkinHead

`
He'll play though. I actually feel like Odds are BETTS will get dinged up! he's frail.

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Tudor's Biscuit World > Bob Evans

Posted by: scampbell1975

`
Whoa. Whoa. Bob Evans Biscuits n Gravy is prolly their best dish.

Where can I find a Tudor's Biscuit World?

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

I think it started in West Virginia of all places and now it's spotted throughout the midwest.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

I talked to Blache very briefly after the Jacksonville game near the team buses and the guy is just as cool in person as he is in interviews. Helped him light a huge cigar, and then asked him when Haynesworth and Orakpo are gonna be let loose.

"September 13, we'll bring it."

In fact, Vinny, Danny, Blache and Danny Smith all had huge cigars, (hopefully 'cause preseason was over and we're still really healthy) they were all really cool.

Larry Michael however wouldnt even come over to say hi. That solidified my disdain.
Frank Herzog for life.

Rocky Mac was cool too. We need to sign that guy before he plays his butt off this year and wants a bigger deal.

Posted by: saltine182 | September 8, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

talent_evaluator

"If I hadn't just finished supper, I'd be in my car right now."

Well, I'm in your car.

I just ate at Bob Evans and have ripped a stanky one.

Why didn't you tell me the windows don't work?

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 8, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Where can I find a Tudor's Biscuit World?

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 9:03 PM

West Virginia, Kentucky, or Ohio

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 8, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nattylite88 | September 8, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Why didn't you tell me the windows don't work?

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 8, 2009 9:08 PM |

They work fine when the alarm's not going off. I was wondering whose alarm that was. Bummer.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 8, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

nattylite88,

I guessing you turn 21 this year? Congrats! I apologize for being rude, but you're wasting your money on that beer! You wouldn't, by any chance, attend Towson would ya?

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 8, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

You mean there is more in West Virginia than jus Strip Joints?

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1

BOOOM!!! Get JReid to ask him a question about it. Get the local media to blow it up.

Posted by: saltine182 | September 8, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

I think it started in West Virginia

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2009 9:07 PM

And why not. That's where coal, moonshine, and incest got their start. If we had the patent on any of them we'd be wealthy.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 8, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

You mean there is more in West Virginia than jus Strip Joints?

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 9:14 PM |

Yep, racoons, coal mines, webbed feet and Tudor's Biscuit World.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Can a person with webbed feet be allowed to compete in swim meets?

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

American University Chicks >> Towson Chicks

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

You mean there is more in West Virginia than jus Strip Joints?

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 9:14 PM |
========================================

I just spent a nice weekend in W.V.

The LAST thing I would visit W.V. for would be "teh gentlemen's club".
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | September 8, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Bronze?

4th, you ol' King Tut face bama...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 8, 2009 5:26 PM

Ahhh...Good one....

Hey y'all - Do you remember BeBe's Kids?? Well.....RedDMV is one of the ORIGINAL BeBe KID! He was the older one that wore the purple sweater jacket and gansta symboled hat EVERYDAY. He was jackin (robbing) dudes since the age of 7 yrs old.

This was his 1st Music Video:

RedDMV is the 'Jaw Breaka, Candy Taka'....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 8, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

The LAST thing I would visit W.V. for would be "teh gentlemen's club".
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya

`
Is that b/c you're a lady?

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

I think it's because he likes his women with teeth and both legs.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey 4th,

Now that ReddDMV is grown up, how has his career progressed?

I was thinking a stand-in for that ole Dave Chappelle Show segment: When keeping it real goes wrong?

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Why aren't the Patriots being ripped for shipping one of their best players to Oakland?

Why are the Eagles predicted to win the division?

Posted by: rickyroge | September 8, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

American University Chicks >> Towson Chicks

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009

What's the ranking for Head ... er Hood College chicks?

Posted by: periculum | September 8, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

I think it's because he likes his women with teeth and both legs.

Posted by: scampbell1975

`
Oh, I thought it was b/c thunder is secretly Jim Zorn.

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Moe - The baby mama looks like a high school sweetheart.

Why did he let the chick take dem pics of him?? He F'ing up. He needs to watch 'The Game' more often. Regulate the jump offs. She is a video hoe with some bangin hips!

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 8, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

This Nadal vs.Monfils match is pretty sweet so far,check it.So what do you people think about our power ranking at espn?20th behind texans,seahawks etc.

Posted by: mark65 | September 8, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

What's the ranking for Head ... er Hood College chicks?

Posted by: periculum

`
Not sure. Isn't Frederick a Suburb of West Viginia?

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I just ate at Bob Evans and have ripped a stanky one.

Why didn't you tell me the windows don't work?

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 8, 2009

Put a quarter in Mason's juke
Boogie wid Cooley 'til you puke
Form a big boss line
It's Big Mike Williams puking time
Cleaning woman
Found me on the floor
Can't wait 'til tomorrow
To boogie with Sleepy some more

Posted by: periculum | September 8, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 9:44 PM

Yes....Red is a prime canidate for 'When keeping it Real Goes Wrong'!! Hellz yeah! ROFLMAO!

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 8, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Why are the Eagles predicted to win the division?

Posted by: rickyroge

`
B/c it's decorous.

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Not sure. Isn't Frederick a Suburb of West Viginia?

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009

You're insulting West Virginia! More like a suburb in the backwoods of Alabammy.

Posted by: periculum | September 8, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 8:10 PM

I love the Redskins, but apparently in a different way than Vicc. ;-)

Posted by: freakzilla | September 8, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

I love the Redskins, but apparently in a different way than Vicc. ;-)

Posted by: freakzilla

`
Peter Griffen Laugh: heh heh heh heh giggidy goo

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

That is, if they are.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 8, 2009 5:33 PM |

MistaMoe - "the raters" is you. You were rating yourself. Easy to see through that. Care to admit to it?

Posted by: ElDrano | September 8, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 8:10 PM

Vicc - Not the 1st for me the skins gave me blue balls. Last year was actually the 3rd time. 1st was (circa) '97 with 7-1 only to NOT make the Playoffs. 2nd time was '00 with 6-2 only to NOT make the playoffs.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 8, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

2nd time was '00 with 6-2 only to NOT make the playoffs.

Posted by: 4thFloor

`
that week9 game/Samari Rolle pick6 b4 the half, robbed me 5 years off my life!

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

i put malcolm kelly on my fantasy bench for both teams

sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeper

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 8, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

pabrian, I got MK12 late in a draft as well...

Posted by: chrislarry | September 8, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Ryan O'Halloran phrases the outlook much differently than JReid.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 8, 2009 4:40 PM

----------

Wow.

How could two sportswriters have such divergent takes on the Marcus Mason situation?

The Washington Times article gives us a tad more color commentary, does it not?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 9, 2009 12:40 AM | Report abuse

was looking at the kins schedule against the ESPN power ratings.

We play 5 games against top 5 teams, the #8 team, #14, #17 (twice), #18 and .... #26, #27, #29, #30, #31 and #32.

5 games vs top 5 teams, 6 games vs bottom 7 teams and just 5 games vs the 20 teams in the middle!!!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 9, 2009 1:41 AM | Report abuse

i put malcolm kelly on my fantasy bench for both teams

sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeper

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 8, 2009 10:51 PM

Dude, that is nothing short of insane. Santana is our #1 WR and he's not even considered anything better than a #3 for fantasy purposes. You picked with your heart on that one.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2009 5:32 AM | Report abuse

Thoughts to ponder for the season:

1) Who will have more TD's - Marko Mitchell or Malcolm Kelly?

2) Who will have more sacks - Andre Carter or Brian Orakpo?

3) Who will have more tackles - London Fletcher or Laron Landry?

4) Who will have more all purpose yards - Rock Cartwright or Marcus Mason?

5) Who will have more INTs - Carlos Rogers or Fred Smoot?

Posted by: RITCA | September 9, 2009 5:50 AM | Report abuse

I'll take the following:
1) Kelly
2) Carter
3) Fletcher
4) Cartwright
5) Rogers

Posted by: RITCA | September 9, 2009 5:52 AM | Report abuse

Agreed, RITCA. The only thing I would change is Marko getting more TDs than Kelly.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2009 6:03 AM | Report abuse

brownwood,

I just think that Kelly is going to be on the field more (not just in red zone) and therefore have more opportunity to score.

Posted by: RITCA | September 9, 2009 6:13 AM | Report abuse

RITCA, in theory I get that. I just don't think Kelly stays healthy this year. And I'm not so sure that Marko isn't the best option to play #2 WR over the 2nd rounders.

We'll see soon enough...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2009 6:17 AM | Report abuse

Boo to injuries! I think Kelly can make it for the season - moreso than Samuels, Thomas, or Fletcher. Those old guys (all vital) have me worried.

Posted by: RITCA | September 9, 2009 6:35 AM | Report abuse

I don't get why Fletch worries you...dude has never missed a game in 10 or 11 years (knock on wood). A dude with a history of knee ailments, DOES worry me.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2009 6:46 AM | Report abuse

IT's SOOOOOO stupid to have a 53 man roster, but de-activate eight of them on game day... What's the purpose to doing that??? Every team has 53, so I can't imagine it's done to level the playing field of players. They still get paid, but don't get to dress out or play? Are the sidelines too small for 53?!?!?! HA

Posted by: wagenstill | September 9, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

saltine182: I also hate BROWN NOSER Larry Michaels. I was at a TC practice last year and as he walked by (within a foot of me) I asked for his autograph. He turned, stopped, looked at me, and then kept on walking!!!! WTF?!?!?!?!? HATE HIM...He's closing in on my #1 HATE: VINNY CERRATO.

Posted by: wagenstill | September 9, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

@wagenstill

You need to stop asking Redskins' flunkies them for their autograph and stop patronizing TC practice. Then magically they will disappear.

Posted by: Pepper5 | September 9, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

I'm calling it early... Marko Mitchell quickly becomes an impact WR for Washington.

He reminds me of Marques Colston or a Michael Irvin type receiver who gets open especially in the red zone.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | September 9, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse