Zorn: 'I don't necessarily have a reaction'

Coach Jim Zorn played down the announcement today he would retain his position for the remainder of the season.

"I don't necessarily have a reaction to that because I am the head coach," Zorn said after practice at Redskins Park.

On ESPN 980's "Inside The Red Zone With Vinny Cerrato," Cerrato, Washington's executive vice president of football operations, said, "Let me start by making a few things very perfectly clear: Jim Zorn is the head coach of the Washington Redskins, and will be for the rest of this season, and hopefully into the future."

Zorn preferred to focus on moving forward.

"Here's how I think about it: I don't want to really address that question from Vinny's standpoint. My deal is, I'm the head football coach. I want to be here for the next 10 years. That's my story. But I have a contract. It says what it says, but I'm committed to these guys. It's kind of a finality if it's just end of the year stuff. I wouldn't even begin to try to answer that question."

Zorn said he's "not concerned about the future" and is trying to live "in the present." The Redskins (2-4) play host to the Philadelphia Eagles (3-2) on Monday night.

By Jason Reid  |  October 23, 2009; 3:27 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Players relieved to hear Zorn will stay
Next: Injury news: Samuels, Smith, Haynesworth, Portis

Comments

No new NEWS!

Posted by: coop2401 | October 23, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

just a small sample of player evaluation ineptitude...renaldo wynn...when a roster such as ours is devoid of young players who have talent at virtually every position why on earth do you keep a 36 yr old has been...just say'n

Posted by: OriginalOldschool | October 23, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

O FIRST! Whatever it means!

Posted by: coop2401 | October 23, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I get this image of Jim Zorn standing in a stampede of his players yelling, "Stay medium! Stayyyyyyyyy mediummmmmm!" You have to get this picture of Kevin Bacon screaming to the crowd in Animal House, "Remain calm! All is well!"

Posted by: RedSkinHead

Doesn't it just have that same feel to it?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 23, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

On ESPN 980's "Inside The Red Zone With Vinny Cerrato,...

This happen around 8am this morning...What have you been doing all day...obviously not working....

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 23, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Are you going to trade 2 picks for Jason Taylor?
VC: "no."
Are you going to fire Jim Zorn?
VC: "no."

Once a liar, always a liar.

Posted by: BMACattack | October 23, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I see that Jaws has come to the same conclussion that the head football coach and all the players have. Hmmmm...
Who's not listening? I'll give you one guess and the answer is....?

The stupid phuking fo that thinks they know everything but really don't know sh!t.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 23, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

if I was him I'd be presently concerned about the future

Posted by: REXskins | October 23, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975

Watch your mouth, scamp. This a family blog, with values, and good morals. We don't need the likes of you polluting it with your foul language...

Posted by: RedDMV | October 23, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Medium

Posted by: LouLewis | October 23, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

check out the bama tryin to clean up his image....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 23, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OriginalOldschool | October 23, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Brian Westbrook X 2
Marion Barber X 2
and another date with Brandon Jacobs

Say what you want but Wynn is a run stopper. We haven't faced any really tough running teams in a while but once we do and phil daniels arm blow up we'll wish we had Wynn on the roster.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 23, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

F Herm Edwards. When has he won anything?

The last time he coached his squad was 2-14.

Posted by: RedDMV

Who better to analyze the Redskins? Winners are just befuddled trying to figure out what the Hell is going on. A guy familiar with bad teams performing badly has real insight into the Redskins, their coaching and management.

So much so that, dare I say it, he’s probably on Dan’s short list for head coach next year.

Posted by: TheCork | October 23, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

If you're edged 'cause I'm weazin all your grindage, just chill. 'Cause if I had the whole brady bunch thing happenin' at my pad, I'd go grind over there, so dont tax my gig so hard-core cruster.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop |

Not often you see serious psychosis here, but it’s always welcome.

---THE CORK

hahahahahahhahaha

dane cook absolutely sucks.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop

Well, you’re not totally insane.

Posted by: TheCork | October 23, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

hell, beans, I better... you know since I came in with all my cursing, and a-hole like behavior and just completely "f'd all the chicken up" ALL BY MYSELF!

cork, point taken RE: Herm Edwards.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 23, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Fair point, Liberty, but we still don't know how the defense will stack up against an above average offense; It looks like Blache is still tweaking the thing, and who knows, maybe the defense has some pride and will stand up for the rest of the year. They don't suck, that's for sure.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 23, 2009 2:40 PM |

Blache tweaking raises an interesting point. When the FO guaranteed AH $41 M they were looking for chaos and disruption and I don't think we've seen that although AH has improved the D. When AH was with the Titans last year there was chaos and disruption so the question becomes why not this year with the Skins? Is it the fault of Blache for not exploiting him the way the Titans DC (now HC for the Lions) did or is it the fault of AH for having slowed down and fattened up since signing the $$$ contract (Woody Allen and the Steve Miller Bsnd would call this "Take the Money and Run")?

Posted by: LibertyValence | October 23, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else think Zorn might be very close to a Lester Burnham-in-American Beauty meltdown/revelation/liberation? Danny is Annette Benning, JZ is Kevin Spacey. "You don't get to tell me what to do ever again"...."You're one to talk, you bloodless, money-grubbing freak" and so forth.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 23, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

There is a decent chance the 'skins will show up loosy goosy Monday,

There is a decent chance Philly will be tight, knowing they CANNOT lose to the skins and still contend in the NFC East.

They have no book on Sherm Lewis.

D. Thomas has to break out someday, right?

Campbell is overdue for a 300 yard game.

Philly's MLB has has been on the team half as long as Sherm Lewis has been with the Redskins.

Redskins O line has been together an entire week.

I'm not convinced Westbrook is 100%

Philly's Oline has taken a lot of injury hits.

Press coverage on Jackson seems to work.

Turnovers could be the key.

Portis can't get Zorn fired this year.

Jim Zorn will NOT be playcalling.

END POSITIVE Post.

I will save it, and if the 'skins win, repost Tuesday and then start my own psychic Sports Blog.

If they lose, I will claim I was hacked.

Posted by: TheCork | October 23, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

PA

He is inactive every week... his vet minimum is way more than a rookie at any other position of need oline rb wr etc...he is a has been best years way way way behind him... we need to be younger faster stronger ...good teams ween their rosters of highly priced downside of their career players...he is a luxury, a good team can keep an isolated player or two like this on their roster (see giants last yr) he was like their 9th Dlineman....

Posted by: OriginalOldschool | October 23, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OriginalOldschool | October 23, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Daniels already has a torn bicep. He'll be out for the season soon. We'll need to rotate Wynn with Jarmon at that point in time.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 23, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Liberty - I agree with you about AH and I'm going with point two.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 23, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I think Zorn is going to have a "Falling Down" day at some point. He already has the kind og Michael Douglas flat top.

Go get 'em Zorn

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 23, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LibertyValence

Has anyone noticed that the Titans were 13-3 WITH Haynesworth last year and 0-6 WITHOUT Haynesworth this year?

Did you notice that we have 2 players (Carter and Orakpo) on pace for double digit sacks? Last year we had no player with over 4 sacks.

Have you noticed that we are not a simple "OLE!" on 4th and short this year? I believe we've had at least 2 successful goal line stands this season. I think we were an 0-for last year.

If we had an offense that could score over 21 points a game, we'd likely be at 5-1 this year with our defense. We may not be a #1 D, but there are several teams that will make the playoffs this year with worse defense. If money's no object, I'd take an out of shape Haynesworth over ANY D-tackle in the NFL. Albert's not the problem.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | October 23, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Quoting the great John McClain from Die Hard:

"Welcome to the party, PAL(s)"

I remember a time on RI when I got ripped for my disgust and hate towards Napolean and the way the Redskins have conducted business (on and off the field) since that toad bought the team.

I can't tell you how refreshing it is to see the fan pendulum finally swinging in the right direction. The culmination will be on Monday night.

Loooooooooooooooooooooooove that chicken from PoppppppppppppppppEYES!

Posted by: RickyBobby | October 23, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

BEEP

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 23, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Good news, I guess, from the team's perspective. They have SOME givens.

Unfortunately, by now, I have totally lost confidence in Zorn and his inability to adapt. I think the West Coast Offense, if that's really what we are "running," should go the way of the Run and Shoot.

I have a feeling Spurrier's "Chuck and Duck" would have worked with Montana, Rice, Taylor, Rathman, Clark, and Craig, etc.

Norv's been trying to duplicate what he accomplished in Dallas for 20 years with limited success. Of course, it helps when you have Aikman, Irving, Harper, Moose, Novacek, OH, yeah, and the best O Line in football. Again, I could draw up successful plays for those guys.

So, good news is:
Zorn is our coach for the rest of the year.

Bad news is:
Zorn is our coach for the rest of the year.

(DOWN with the West Coast O!)

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 23, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

oh, yeah, and Haynesworth = good.

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 23, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Shortly thereafter, Vinny announced that he was also selling swamp land in Florida.

Posted by: Redskinrex | October 23, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

i dont know about anyone else,but i dont really care if the skins win or not.zorn was a bad hire from the start.cerratzo is horrible.also remember he lied about trading for jason taylor last year,said he couldnt tell us the truth.said the skins had NO interest in him.i cant feel good about a west coast o in dc.its anti skins.its also 30years late to start new with it.i can only hope snyder will let a real football mind take over,and bring the skins back.i dont even mind losing for a while if we are making a new way,a pridefull way,till then let snyder lose money and games

Posted by: DLESMonday | October 23, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I love Vinny throwing his super bowl rings in Steve Largents face. Ya that worked. Doesnt he know that some teams gave super bowl rings to janitors. In a town of professional butt kissers, Vinny Cerrato is the worst butt kisser I have ever seen. You know there are 435 congressmen and 100 Senators and thousands of Administrative important people all with butts to kiss and lobbyists making millions kissing those and Vinny has outdone them all. Danny could hire Governor Sanford from SC to do a better job of representing the Redskins. Please let Vinny keep talking. He says it all. His ham handed crapola makes anything anyone says about the Redskins beleivible. Note to Vinny-Dont try to convince us that you know more about football than Steve Largent. Vinny -- Hes in the hall of fame. He caught more passes than Art Monk. You are a butt boy. Dont take on Zorn. Jim Zorn has done more in football than you could ever do. He just handed you your ass. Shut up. You are out of your league. Go back to being a coffee boy at ESPN.

Posted by: HelloNewman1 | October 23, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

"Hes in the hall of fame. He caught more passes than Art Monk. You are a butt boy."

Ummmmm HelloNewman1,

I'm no fan of Vinny...but you need a fact check tip in here...

940 Art Monk > 819 Steve Largent

Posted by: ThinkingMan | October 24, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

You play in games like you practice during the week. Simple Fact. Forget where you drafted a guy or how much you are paying him. Devin Thomas stinks! What has he ever shown? Play Marco now. You play for pride when you have none. I wish Jim Zorn could stop worrying about protecting "Vinny's guys" and take the reigns off Campbell. If I were coach we would run the 2 minute offense the whole game to eliminate defensive substitution and Jason Cambell would call every stinkin play. I would also keep Sellers on the sideline and run an unbalanced offensive line. When you don't match up well, then you try to beat the other team mentally. Why haven't we seen any innovative game plans Jim?

Posted by: donsilvester | October 24, 2009 7:18 AM | Report abuse

By saying nothing the last two weeks Vinny has helped Zorn lose part of the team. These guys have no loyalty, zero. They'll fire hom at the end of the season and...we'll get the same results. Start over. It will be better under Shanahan...Gruden...whatever...blah, blah, blah. It won't be better..show some nuts and stick with a plan.

Posted by: Smiley2 | October 24, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse