Zorn Looks to Get Mike Williams 'Revved Up'

Williams has been slowed in the preseason because of an abdominal strain and an ankle injury, but I still expect him to be here after the final cuts. The front office has dedicated a lot of time and resources into helping Williams in his comeback attempt.

The fourth overall pick in the 2002 draft, Williams last played in a regular season game during the 2005 season. The Redskins plan for Williams to play a lot against the Jacksonville Jaguars at Jacksonville Municipal Stadium.

"I'd like to see a whole game" from Williams, Coach Jim Zorn said. "I'd like to see a lot of play. We're going to try get him revved up. He's still sporting that ankle a little bit, but he's going to go."

Williams's approach has not changed since he signed with team in April. He has continued to work hard while dropping almost 80 pounds since joining the Redskins, and he said his work is not finished.

"I never looked at it like [a roster spot was a lock] since I stepped in the building," he said. "I just want to feel uncomfortable, which, I guess, would be a good choice of phrase. Just because I know I want to get out there and work and continue to get better in my technique.

"I never want to say, 'I'm comfortable. I got my spot.' That's not the right attitude that anybody on this team has. We're always competing. And that's what you always want to continue to do, just get better."

Early in camp, I wrote Williams had no business being on a football field in a competitive situation. His footwork and timing in pass protection were, well, about as rusty as one would expect from a guy who had been away from the league for a long time. But Williams has made major strides -- in large part because of his individual work with line coach Joe Bugel after practice -- and is encouraged about his performance with the regular season fast approaching.

"We knew it was going to be a little rough at the beginning. That was to be expected," Williams said. "Listening to Buges, getting in there and concentrating and doing stuff after practice ... it's bound to come. And the more time I get, the more reps I get, it's going to get better."

Williams is ready to roll in a regular season game, he said.

"Absolutely," Williams said. "Our defense gets you ready for the speed of the game. Our defense does a great job showing you what it is to come full-fledged. They don't hold back. I'm comfortable in the sense of knowing what I'm supposed to do. Now, it's just about getting better and building on top of that."

By Jason Reid  |  September 3, 2009; 12:00 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kelly Says He's Ready to Go
Next: Here's What I Think ... in Jacksonville

Comments

Take away the fact that he was a high draft pick and tell me why he should be on the roster? Because he couldn't cut it in the league? Because he's injury prone? Because he lost weight?

None of those are good reasons.

Posted by: Gweez | September 3, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Mike Williams NEEDS a big game tonight!

Posted by: ZMANN84 | September 3, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Fantasy scouting report.

zjfr2:

Takes a pessimistic view of the team in most situations. A classic skeptic who while hoping for the best generally expects the worst from the Skins and has been too many times proven correct. Has a solid knowledge of the NFL as well as football in general and usually has logical opinions and analysis.
Achilles Heel: Jaded by the Redskins decade of ineptitude too often takes a negative view and has trouble finding hope in the decision makers in Ashburn. Also very easily riled up by BeantownGreg1 who is the hopeful ying to this poster's negative yang.
Secret Weapon: As the years, losses, bad decisions, and mediocrity mount up the evidence supporting this poster's critical view of the organization grows and grows. Sadly his opinion that the Redskins will never be anything above mediocre until Snyder legitimately turns over all football control to a capable football mind or sells the team may in fact be correct.

My self analysis....

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 3, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 3, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

CORK EATS CROW

John Corcoran's shocking reassessment of Vinny Cerrato

Posted by: TheCork | September 3, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Cork, that article was a sweet, delicious icey glass of kool-aid, and I was thirsty.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 3, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

"Has a solid knowledge of the NFL as well as football in general and usually has logical opinions and analysis"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......ufb, are you kidding me with that line of crap...don't break your arm attempting to pat yourself on the back.....what a load of crap that is....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Nice work Cork.

Let's hope we don't have to embrace the suck once more...

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 3, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

bean you're the one that bet me that Betts will have a better season that Bradshaw....

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 3, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

CORK EATS CROW

John Corcoran's shocking reassessment of Vinny Cerrato

Posted by: TheCork | September 3, 2009 12:08 PM |

Good read Cork. While it's too early to judge this year's draft class, I do have a good feeling about this group. I think last year's draft class will be judged favorably if two of the three pass catchers pan out.

Posted by: TWISI | September 3, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

(3) Jackson vs. Wynn vs. Montgomery

This has become an intriguing and undervalued battle of camp. With Haynesworth, Griffin, Golston, Carter, Daniels, Alexander, Orakpo, Wilson, and Jarmon all undeniably making the team and seeing reps on the defensive line, there doesn't seem to be enough room to carry all 3 of the guys listed above. Montgomery was thought to be a roster lock, but reports of him coming to camp out of shape, unmotivated, and a little peeved at his demotion down the depth chart have certainly hurt his stock. His talent and potential outweighs that of the other two, but he's got to put it together in order to realize that potential...and the team knows it. So far, that isn't happening. Montgomery becomes expendable due to the versatility of Daniels and Alexander, both of whom can shift to the interior of the line.

Wynn was also thought of to be a lock, given the question mark surrounding Daniels' return from surgery and the implied thought that Jarmon wouldn't contribute, but both of those conditions have been adjusted with pleasant surprises. Both look better than previously advertised, and as a result, the need for reliance on an aging marginal player has diminished. I can't be sure, but I recollect that his number of snaps played with the first team defense decreased through each preseason game. This can't be a good sign for Wynn.

Jackson, originally thought to have his work severely cut out for him, given the drafting of Orakpo and Jarmon and the signing of Daniels and Wynn, has shown his presence this preseason on ST and the second team defense. He hasn't been flashy, but he always seems to be around the ball. The coaching staff really seem to be using him in a lot of different packages outside of the first team. His youth and friendly contract gives him a clear boost in the eyes of the coaches and management as well.

In this case, given the surprisingly good play this early on from unexpected sources like Daniels and Jarmon, you get the impression the team would rather lean on potential here. If Wynn isn't going to be seeing the field much with a healthy squad, he won't be making this roster. Wynn may end up being the guy they call midseason if a starter goes down. In a slight surprise, ADV: Montgomery and Jackson.

Posted by: psps23 | September 3, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 3, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

As for BIG MIKE

'skins should find a nutritionist who'll say that Big Mike's shocking weight loss has caused a blood disorder, aand puthim on the PUP. Let him work with Buges for a few weeks, then go to Lourdes for a cure.

Maybe if Dan put his mind to work on more devious ways to improve the team instead of making life miserable for faithful, economically distressed season ticket holders, the team would improve

Posted by: TheCork | September 3, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

As for BIG MIKE

Posted by: TheCork

I believe that's called Stan Humphries Syndrome.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 3, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Okay here is what I have for Corks review:

Cork is a rare talent, a fast flying target of the rarest type, and if you need someone on your squad to block for your flamers I can't think of a better pick, however in most leagues these are not going to get picked in the first round. Pegged as pro-Post. Cork seems to be able to take a beating that would make most of you go home and cry in your Portis jersey. He also is able to give a good scrap back. There is no question where Cork stands when it comes to issues of the Front Office, however his loyalty to the team should also never be questioned. Sometimes he struggles deep into threads. Strength: Loyalty to the writers, Weakness: Loyalty to the writers, Super Secret Weapon, is so secret that none of us even know what it is,

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

CORK EATS CROW

John Corcoran's shocking reassessment of Vinny Cerrato

Posted by: TheCork | September 3, 2009 11:41 AM

First of all, great use of the word, "ensconced".

Second, how about we see what 2009 has to offer before eating crow or crowning Vinny?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 3, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Got it Alex

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 3, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I saw that Scamp
You must have like 6 computers going at once.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

"The front office has dedicated a lot of time and resources into helping Williams in his comeback attempt."

I always wondered what that meant. Didn't they force him to stay home from OTAs until he got his weight under control? What "time and resources" did they invest in Williams that hasn't been invested in every player at camp right now?

Posted by: psps23 | September 3, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 3, 2009 12:21 PM

I was wondering that myself.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 3, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 3, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

It just sounds better than saying "Pinning their hopes on him if someone gets injured."

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 3, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking lost revenue from vending machine sales.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

CORK EATS CROW

John Corcoran's shocking reassessment of Vinny Cerrato

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 3, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

re: investment in BMW

Umm wouldn't that be salary, diet coarching, extra training w/ Buges. etc. etc.?

I don't think they said 'extra' investment, but those things listed above cost $$$.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 3, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 3, 2009 12:21 PM

This is the talking point spoon fed to JReid from Cerrato.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 3, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

The best draft pick will be CB Barnes. Orakpo was a no brainer but this is now a passing league and to be in games, we've got to get a few back the other way or knocked down. It's Redskins' football, all the way back to Pat Fischer...

Posted by: ElYeah | September 3, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Go Big Mike!

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 3, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

First of all, great use of the word, "ensconced".

Posted by: brownwood26 |

Brownie

I'm a wordsmith, and as I tell the ladies, I have a big, thick Thesaurus and know how to use it.

As for waiting until after the season. Obviously you don't understand the work of column writing. Deadlines don't wait til after the season.

AND, if it all goes south, I can write another column attacking myself for being a blithering idjit and a Pollyanna...

Posted by: TheCork | September 3, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

"As much as I dig the article and want to believe it, nominating Vinny for exec of the year in the preseason is as relevant and useful as one of psps23's preseason top ten cornerbacks lists.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz"

...but still infinitely more relevant and useful than Kenbeatrizz's baseless implications that all said publications are outright wrong on all assessments.

Posted by: psps23 | September 3, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

cork, I'm more interested in hearing about that 68/69 Vette you had. Matching numbers?? Stock engine, or did you have it bored/stroked, not that you needed to at 390hp.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Mine was a small block 65 convertible in Candyapple Red. I doubt anything matched, but it was a blast.

Oh, those squandered days of youth.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 3, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

nice stumped......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

what choice do we have...it's not like we have tremendous depth at tackle...so yes, he should be on the 53 man roster...

I would've preferred more options, but as it stands there are none.

Posted by: cedric_lockhart | September 3, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Glad to finally get off the legality/ethical arguments from the last post and back to the football field. What we know: Skins need to improve on last year's offensive production. Working off JR's 53 man roster thread, I see too much status quo. Only "upgrades" to the offense are Dockery and another year experience for Zorn and the young receivers. I say cut Wynn, Cartwright, Suisham, and replace with Mason, Aldridge (Dorsey), and Raynor. We already know what we have with the first three: Wynn is all but done, Cartwright won't get any better, and Suisham couldn't reach the goalpost from 45 yards out late in the season. Mason and Aldridge give us a chance to break up this status quo and, used properly, can present different challenges to opposing defenses, helping Campbell and everyone else. Raynor - how could he be any worse than Suisham? This was an 8-8 team folks. Need to stir things up a bit.

Posted by: bones21 | September 3, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

And I bid you adieu oldnova. Perhaps you will enjoy rooting for the following teams(owners): Cowboys (Jerry Jones), Raiders (Al Davis), Cardinals (Bidwells), Cincinnati Bengals (Browns), Lions (Fords). True fans do not follow their team because of the owner. The Skins are my team, and Dan Snyder can't take them away from me...unless he's got a Mayflower truck.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 3, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

And I bid you adieu. I will now be following and supporting the Texans - I now live in Houston...

One question for you to think about...

Considering danny's stewardship of the team, his pricing policies, and now his outrageous litigious actions against his team's own fans... Just what would he have to do before you say "enough!"

I found my threshold this morning.

Posted by: oldnova | September 3, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

"I will now be following and supporting the Texans - I now live in Houston"

I'm sure there is a 'texans' blog that needs your input...get to steppin....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I think Big Mike Williams will make the team. and actually I think he will get spots 52 and 53

just sayin,

Posted by: GreatOne1 | September 3, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Oh my - Blogs in Houston!? Trust me, The Houston Chronicle's reader comments make this place like like a haven of Socratic dialogue.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 3, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

"CORK EATS CROW

John Corcoran's shocking reassessment of Vinny Cerrato

---------------------

Earlier this offseason, I got into a discussion with someone (can't remember who) about how this was by FAR Cerrato's best offseason with the franchise. He heavily invested in the defensive line, kept the string of elite starting corners going by replacing Springs with Hall, signed a legitimate punter for one of the worst punting teams in the league, and didn't panic with regards to some of the other question marks on the team.

I thought he could have added a little more emphasis to the offensive line by adding guys with a little more potential, but you can't be made at the Orakpo pick (just like you can't be mad at the Landry selection even though Adrian Peterson became, well, Adrian Peterson). I also wasn't pleased with his attempts to trade for Cutler/Sanchez, but no harm, no foul, as the team didn't land either, and Campbell is an unusually mentally strong QB when it comes to adversity. The offensive line has impressed so far in preseason, as has many of his draft picks, both this year's and last.

This is about as good an offseason as I can remember for the Redskins. As always, it'll have to bear itself out in the season, but so far, it's looking really good.

Posted by: psps23 | September 3, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Just what would he have to do before you say "enough!"
Posted by: oldnova | September 3, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

He can do whatever he likes. I support the team not the owner. Its obvious Snyder loves him some money, but being a Redskins fan my entire life I cannot throw it away because of the owner. The Orioles would have no fans, Angelo is arguably worse than Snyder.

For as much as Snyder wants to make money, I cant argue with the fact the he is also willing to spend money. Do I agree in how he spends it, generally no. But I also didnt put up the 800 million to have that right.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | September 3, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Mike Williams represents a true wild card. It will be eight to ten weeks before he rounds into condition, especially given the time he's missed recently. That's completely normal and something we should have expected when we saw how much weight he was losing. He's an immense man who even at 450 pounds had relatively little body fat. His quickness, strength, and (mostly) stamina should come back with time.

He could start for another three or four years, the way Tony Mandarich did. Not as an all-pro, but as a regular. Or, he could reach a plateau, get hurt or discouraged, and retire.

The rest is speculation.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 3, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Wondering when a new blog called Fire, Impeach, Ride Out On a Rail Daniel M. Snyder: Actually wondering when Snidely and Vinny will join this guy in his new digs?

In 2006, Jorge R. Vasquez Sr., 47, was in jail for embezzlement and wrote to both the Washington Nationals and the Redskins to say he could no longer keep his tickets. He had three loge seats at FedEx and a six-year contract that began in 2003.

The baseball team wrote back to offer him free tickets, according to a letter he sent to the court. The Redskins sued him $12,914.

The Nationals "were able to understand that my situation and status to continue to support their team as a fan had changed," Vasquez wrote to the court. "Instead of getting sued in courts, they extended their sympathy by issuing to me four courtesy tickets; now I have even lost my home and the richest franchise of the National Football League is pursuing 'their loss' through court, while completely forgetting about the fact that all I ever wanted to be was a Fan."

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

school's out......children are posting....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

@psps23,

When AH sits out 3-5 games, the DB gets torched, and the OL collapses and gets blamed for not getting Portis past Riggins ...

You will know that this was *NOT* a good offseason for Vinny, by way of comparison with past GM's and teams. Completely ignoring the gigantic holes, aging starters and injuries in key positions? Is this one of his "better" offseasons? I think last year was actually better, possibly his best even if he did misfire by listening to Mel Kiper and drafting Devin Thomas.

Unfortunately, this will all come to roost much sooner than later now ...

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Its beginning to smell like Blue Plains here, must be some trollish poster ate too many beans in beantown.

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

None of those are good reasons.

Posted by: Gweez | September 3, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

You are right. None of those are good reasons. And Williams will NOT make the team for any of those reasons. He will make the team because he is a mammoth of a man who happens to be THE BEST option at OT #3, and will probably supplant Heyer once he gets fully going. The guy is talented, and my read between the lines is his rededication to work and life will actually enable him to surpass the level he was at before he GOT INJURED and was forced to leave the game.

Face the facts here. The gods smiled and dropped this guy in our laps all because the Bills failed to fill out the paperwork correctly and in time on Dockery. Caca occurs... and some times its good $h!T.

Redskins are at elast smart enough to recognize a good thing whe nthe ysee it...league and fan base wide derisive laughter be damned.

Williams doing well will be kinda how every body will be screaming how "I knew JC had it in him" when he leads the team up and down the field now that he has got somebody to throw to not named Sinorice's Big Brother and the time to do it... but that is a different story, LOL

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 3, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Readers should ask why.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 3, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Also, earlier you said the WP likes to stick it to all of the local sports teams. that couldn't be more wrong. WP has a VERY good relationship with the Caps and their owner Ted. And definitely do not have a bad relationship with the Wizards, although not as close with the Wiz.

Posted by: NFeKPo | September 3, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Nonsense. I have never said anything like that on this blog or elsewhere. Is it really that hard for people on here to debate someone without completely distorting their positions?

I have often said the exact opposite of what you claim I said, and that the Post treats the Redskins much, much worse than they do all the other professional sports franchises in this area.

Abe Pollin is so cheap he refuses to pay the salaries to fill out his roster, and the Wizards gone the past several seasons without a full 15 man roster because of him... which likely cost the team wins the last 2 years, without back up point guards on the team for significant portions of the year because of his cheapness. Yet it never gets mentioned in the Post, and he gets a pass.

The Lerners are as bad if not worse in the area of cheapness and gross incompetence and while they have taken some criticism of late in the Post, it doesn't compare to their vitriol spewed towards Dan Snyder.

Do people on here honestly believe that this paper treats the Redskins objectively? When even those who earn a paycheck from this very paper recognize it and will admit it, it's just hard to fathom how any regular reader could be so blind to their agenda.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 3, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Cork, have you already written your "I got caught up in the preseason optimism and spoke too soon" column? Because you know its coming ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 3, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Whatever the Nationals do, do the exact opposite.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 3, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

None of those are good reasons.

Posted by: Gweez | September 3, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

1) He's the best we have(backup of course). Right now he's a decent run blocker. In his preseason action he looked far better than Bridges or Devin Clark at tackle. Bridges looked a little better in protection but just barely. Neither Bridges nor Clark are NFL caliber Tackles.

2)He's the best we can get. Good tackles don't just fall off the waiver wire and Levi Jones ain't settling for 2 million this year(my estimate as to how much cap we have left).

3) There's no reason to cut him. He's good enough to be a backup right now. He keeps getting better. As long as he is improving why cut him? If he hits a ceiling then cut him. If something better comes along cut him. He's a backup caliber tackle right now. We're talking about him becoming starting caliber in 8 weeks. Why would get rid of someone like that?

Furthurmore, If Dockery couldn't cut it in Buffalo then why are we giving BMW so much crap because he couldn't? Jason Peters was great up there and looks like crap with the Birds. Maybe there's something different about Buffalo. Maybe he fits our blocking schemes better.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 3, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

One question for you to think about...

I found my threshold this morning.

Posted by: oldnova

Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

Posted by: dcwun | September 3, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Here's an idea, why don't we DRAFT offensive lineman.

Posted by: BMACattack | September 3, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Kaneohe,

What does this have to do with Mike Williams ending up here? I'm missing something....

Posted by: smurff1 | September 3, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Jason Peters was great up there

If by, "great" you mean gave up the most sacks in the NFL, then yeah, agreed.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I read that article. Doesn't it seem a bit premature to write the "Draft class makes good" article yet? I mean shouldn't they at least play like uh, I dunno, a half of meaningful football before we put Vinny in as the prohibitive front runner for Exec. of the Year?

Posted by: Gweez | September 3, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Barno1:

What agenda? What does the Post have to gain from saying DB isn't doing the right thing? If your point is negativity sells then the Post's view of every sports team, politicians, EVERYTHING should be negative not just the Redskins.

And please don't read this and say I am blind to the Posts neg. comments, trust me i see it but i also feel that DB has brought much of it on himself.
If you don't want people to think of you as an idiot don't trade for TJ Duckett for a 3rd round pick (or whatever it was) and then never use him and watch him leave at seasons end.

Posted by: NFeKPo | September 3, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I really meant no harm. I was doing the silly fantasy blogga scouting reports all day after an earlier post. If you took offense I apologize, that really wasn't my intention honestly.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 3, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Thanks bud...i did take offense but it's all good. Now let's hug it out b*tch.

And the offer is still open to introduce yourself at the games. (And that is NOT a veiled threat of any kind people) I think it's funny how so many people, myself included, argue on here but some of us have likely unknowingly been chummy at games, tailgates, etc. And if Chrislarry met Barno1 amid a hailstorm of belligerent Cowboys fans, no doubt we'd have each other's back.

Hail

Posted by: Barno1 | September 3, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | September 3, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Whatever the Nationals do, do the exact opposite.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 3, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Amen, brother. Amen.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 3, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Barno1:

Posted by: NFeKPo | September 3, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Hey, we're in 100% agreement on the Duckett thing.

As for the agenda...well I'd say JLC and others at the post have had an anti-Redskins agenda for years, and I'm far from alone in that assessment..Not just readers, but as I mentioned before...there are numerous people who work for the WaPost who also see this, admit this, and are not happy about this.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 3, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

It appears the NFL now has another Zornball. When Todd Haley fired Chan Gailey he took over the OC job himself and will be the QB coach. So now he is HC, OC and QBC just like Zorny! Great offensive minds need plenty of room to roam far and wide.

Posted by: CottonEyeJoe | September 3, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Whatever the Nationals do, do the exact opposite.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 3, 2009

Really sounds like he might BE Portis?

So, let's see. Don't sign college and World Baseball star Steven Strasburg, perhaps one of the best pitchers to come along in a decade. Don't sign Drew Storen, who looks to be a top reliever out of Stanford. Don't re-up Ryan Zimmerman who is ranked in the top 5-10 of all major league players consistently? Don't sign Adam Dunn who has outperformed Mark Texiera offensively. Don't sign Nyjer Morgan. Don't stock your minor leagues with young, aggressive pitching.

That about it?

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 3, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Usually agree with you PA, but Beantown is right. Peters was horrendous last year; possibly due to his extended contract holdout throughout the entire offseason. But you're right that Dock wasn't great last year and he's looking very strong this year. Different line, new schemes, better coaching, better chemistry, more personal drive...lots of things can change the way a lineman plays. Let's be patient and see what BMW has to offer this season. At the least he could come in for Goalline formations. The only person in the NFL big enough to stop him there is wearing #92 for our team.

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha | September 3, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Jason Peters was great up there

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

You forgot to mention that he only did that in the year he was unhappy about his contract. How'd he do the year before?

2006 only allowed 2.
2007 only allowed 6.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 3, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CottonEyeJoe | September 3, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

One slight difference, Haley has already been an OC of a team that went to the super bowl and had one of the most prolific offenses ever......Zorn had never been a coordinator in his life and biggest claim to fame was QB coach of Timmy's big bro Matt, and it always seems to me he gets a lot of credit for that when Holmgren (pretty good with Favre) probably had a lot to do with that.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 3, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Admittedly, I had no problem with JLC. Last year (earlier in the season) every monday he would say something like "Despite a win yesterday blal blal blal".

Usually "blal blal blal" was something about the offensive line or lack of turnovers and posters would hammer him on just hating on the redskins. Now i can see why posters were angry, why just harp on the negatives the Redskins won. But Jason's points were still spot on and proved to be telling later in the year.

Posted by: NFeKPo | September 3, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I've been away awhile and have not gone through all the posts but I was wondering what the sentiment was about Brandon Marshall (if I got his name right) from Denver.

Any takers on this cat...I know we draftet a bunch of WR but I think he would be a compliment to Santana Moss.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 3, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | September 3, 2009 1:29 PM |

Would Campbell be there in the hailstorm, driving the Skins down the field to score a TD against the Cowboys late in the 4th quarter to win the game 17-14?

Posted by: CottonEyeJoe | September 3, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Cork's column was a fun read, but excuse me if I'm not ready to sign up for the wonders of backup TE Fred Davis or backup G Chad Rinehart (the ONLY day 1 OL pick this team has made in years).

Yes Kelly and Thomas have improved -- they set the bar very very low in 2008. Tryon may be "improving", but he's still a long way from filling Leigh Torrence's shoes.

Many of the criticisms leveled at Vinny are merited, but one that hasn't is his ability to spot talent in the draft, including getting worthwhile guys near the end of it.

The fair criticism is that they've traded picks far too often and too often, overlooked core issues for questionable selections. In the Vinny era, we've drafted more TE than OL. Quick name the most productive #2 TE in the NFL last year. I can't. Unless the starter goes down, the #2 TE has minimal value to most teams.

The issue with the draft isn't that he can't find talent. 2008's draft seemed to be atypically bad. I liked the decision to draft 2 WRs in round 2. Brought the odds to 50/50 that you get 1 decent player out of it. We needed a big WR and took 2 shots at it in '08 and another in '09. Seems like that issue will be solved.

Cork, you can hand out kudos if you wish, but the highest payroll in the league ought to be bringing you playoff wins and championships. If that's what you're seeing, then perhaps a bite of crow makes sense.

But really, you're more than a bit premature -- at least in your column.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 3, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 3, 2009 1:41 PM |

Dude. I didn't say shti about what qualified them to become a three headed monster. I just said that they both were. Big difference.

Posted by: CottonEyeJoe | September 3, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Really sounds like he might BE Portis?

That about it?

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

And all those great moves have bought them what? I like the trade for Morgan, the move to keep Zim, and I think they had to sign Strasburg.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 3, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

mistamayor

"As you all know, I believe tackle Mike Williams will be on the 53-man roster and has been written in for some time."

Sir, you claim is worthy of impeachment.

Even from the air conditioned environs of a South Florida workplace, I can see the stains of cluelessness on the blog's blue dress.

Why would a the redskins save space for a guy in Mike Williams who has to find his game after never finding it during his previous NFL tour?

Don't wag your finger at me, mistamayor--remember: I know what the definition of is is.

And keeping Mike Williams on the roster when he hasn't shown himself ready to play is dumb.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 3, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Sportcenter:
Jaws thinks we'll get 9 wins.
Chucky thinks we'll be at 8.
Mike torrico thinks we'll get less than 7.

Posted by: Dorf | September 3, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Zorn was a college offensive coordinator. So he had that going for him.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Barno has been up here for like 36 hours straight carrying Dan Snyder's water. Time for a little diversion. The game works like this: We take Barno's Pollyanna statement about the owner suing down on their luck fans:

"Well it's just extremely, extremely hard to believe that a man who is so incredibly generous and thoughtful, who clearly cares about people, would do something like _______."

And fill in the blank. Example:

"Well it's just extremely, extremely hard to believe that a man who is so incredibly generous and thoughtful, who clearly cares about people, would do something like create a pyramid scheme and bilk me out of my retirement fund."

Have at it.

Posted by: mack1 | September 3, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

periculum

Who would you rather have own your team Danny or the Lerners?

I would take Danny any day of the week.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 3, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I hate to say this but I have been thinking about this all year and I think the Nats are doing a better job then the Skins in terms of franchise development. I am guessing the nats will get a world series before the skins, granted football is a bit more chaotic than baseball and there is the blind squirrel factor in the NFL that MLB does not have.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

... but the highest payroll in the league ought to be bringing you playoff wins and championships.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 3, 2009 1:50 PM |

The Yankees, yes. But the is the NFL, and a hard salary cap makes "highest payroll in the league" talk as fatuous as Mike Williams used to be before he lost 100 lbs.

Posted by: CottonEyeJoe | September 3, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

"While Vinny did draft Orakpo, its hard to say this wasn't at least part luck. Orakpo could have easily been gone long before the #13 spot. Good move? Yes. But really, when did it become an exec of the year move to draft the obvious? What Vinny missed is the OL. Consistently. It was our downfall in 2008 and is the riskiest part of the team in 2009. Its not like it was hard to predict -- all you needed to do was look at the age of the starters -- I saw this coming in 2006."

Posted by: Samson151 | September 3, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz"

Posted by: psps23

I admit my post was gratuitous. Just tryin' to get somethin' goin'. Thanks for playing. Ps, you'll always be on my top ten list of bloggers who quote top ten lists.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 3, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

If the Skins were content with not drafting O-lineman, then the Mike Williams experiment makes sense. He costs you nothing if it fails, and if it works you look like a genius.

Posted by: rickyroge | September 3, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I am guessing the nats will get a world series before the skins

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

i am in 100% agreement with you that the Nats will get a World Series before the 'Skins! :)

Posted by: rbpalmer | September 3, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Let me get something going...

Here's my analysis of JC...After seeing the game last night (and yes it's preseason), I suspect that PART of JC's issues last year was viable offensive weapons. I remember a game last year when JC threw a fade to ARE! Are you kidding me...he's 5'8"!!! We clearly have an upgrade of talent at WR and we have some talent.

I know it's hard to pick the Skins to go better than 9-7...just because we've been down this road before, but with HEALTH (Big if), I think we are a playoff team. I suspect Samuels and Thomas may not make a whole season, so I would look to sign a viable backup after cuts a la Pete Kendall style. He was a quality guy for a year.

That's my analysis...have at me!

Posted by: rickyroge | September 3, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Who would you rather have own your team Danny or the Lerners?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 3, 2009 1:56 PM |

The Lerners easily have mas dinero than the Steinrenners. Now granted DC isn't the Big Apple when it comes to being a market for beisbol, but still ...

Posted by: CottonEyeJoe | September 3, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Signing BMW is a no-lose proposition. Vinny looks like a genius if he succeeds and there's no harm done if he fails. What WILL hurt is if he's injured/sucks all through preseason, we don't cut him and waste a roster spot on his "potential", and then he's inactive for every game this year.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 3, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

There are NFL teams looking forward to an uncapped season because it will let them spend MORE & there are NFL teams looking forward to it because they can spend LESS. Does anyone question which side of the fence Danny will be on?

No, I didn't think so. You can question the methods but the effort to improve is there. Can't say that for every team.

Posted by: will_ga | September 3, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Will anyone have any live links to the game tonight for us out of towners? Justin TV has had it before

Posted by: brianlee720 | September 3, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Any body wish we took Leo-Nard Davis? Back when we was up for grabs everyone was saying he was an oversized lump of space. Now he has two pro-bowls with the Pokes and started all 16 games last season. Now were hoping Mike Williams works out at a low cost.

I don't mind spending big money if we get dividends.

Albert The Great better show up.

Posted by: Dorf | September 3, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

"No fair. Vinny could have bit the bullet and drafted an offensive linemen -- think Michael Oher -- and saved himself a wagonload of grief from the media and (especially) the folks on this blog, all of whom are convinced they're smarter than he is (and with not all that much justification, I'd wager).

Posted by: Samson151"

It wouldn't be fair if Zce was basing this off of a purely prospective analysis, but he isn't. He judged it based on retrospective analysis in which the offensive line fell apart in both 2007 and 2008, yet was addressed with middling assets this offseason. Can it work out for Cerrato? Sure. But it's a completely fair prospective assessment, given the results of similar approaches in the past.

Posted by: psps23 | September 3, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

This may come as a shock to you Beans, but I’m older than dirt. My ’68 ‘vette (for which I traded in a ’65 Mustang convertible) had matching numbers because I bought it new.

Id fallen in love with the Makop Shark design new to the ‘68s and one day decided to wander by the showroom. I knew what I wanted for my Mustang, what discount I and for the ‘vette and what color and engine size I wanted.

I went there direct from work (IO at Langley AFB), got there five minutes before closing. Wouldn’t give me what I wanted on my Mustang. Didn’t have the color I wanted. Only had the big block 427/390 Coupe in British Racing Green. Wouldn’t discount it by a dime.

“Would you like to see it, Lieutenant?”

“Nah, just looking, you don’t have what I want and OH MY GOD, that’s it? Where do I sign?”

Longest three days of my life were the time it took them in the “get-ready” dept. Once tried to start it in 2nd gear from a dead stop. Engine protested a little, but it got going without bucking or stalling. When I went to shift it into third, I discovered I’d actually started in 4TH Gear!

Did nothing to the engine except tune it. Brought it in to the dealer once, for a minor tune and when I got it back it had more than 100 new miles on the odo. I read them the riot act, but can’t blame the mechanic for the “long” road test.

Had it for two years, got married, moved to DC, traded it in on a ’69 VW convertible. First time I entered the 495 in the bug, I almost got splattered on the grill of a Peterbilt. Oh yeah, Bugs ain’t as fast as the ‘vette.

In the USAF, my roommate had a split window coupe.
Wish I had the Mustang and both those ‘vettes today! ‘d be a rich man.

Posted by: TheCork | September 3, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Who would you rather have own your team Danny or the Lerners?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 3, 2009 1:56 PM |

Lerners,
They may not have instantly spent the $, but they are steadily doing more each year. And say what you will but I think they let the baseball guys handle the details of the baseball team. Only jerk thing they did was the rent issue at the new park.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

JC has yet to take a sack this entire offseason, thats against Pitt, Bal, and NE. that is a great sign for this o-line, i would not have believed that would happen before the preseason.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 3, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

"Mako Shark" not "Makop"

Posted by: TheCork | September 3, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Folks are rating 'bloggas' (a term and form of spelling Moe introduced to this space).

These same folks rate Moe as "...out of the box..."

I would rate them, but hey: them that rate, rate, and them that are bloggas, blog.

The raters are measuring the length of the pants I'm wearing knowing they can't fit in what I sit in.

Keep rating and hating, fellas.

As for me?: I'll just raise the bar, and you raters keep stretching towards a height you won't reach.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 3, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 |

Let’s say I’m keeping notes! But I believe what I wrote.

The first three preseason games were against three great opponents, and all three 2nd rounder WRs looked pretty good. So did this year’s 7th rounder, Marko Mitchell.

D. Green backs up Tryon, and that’s a pretty good endorsement.

Ditto Buges and Rinehart.

I like what I’ve seen of Barnes.

I Remember when Stubby came to DC for the money, kinda sucked and went back for a nice career in SF. Dock may have the same storyline. He was pretty good his last year in DC. R. Thomas and Samuel MUST stay healthy, Heyer must continue upward and that's a pretty good OL.

Posted by: TheCork | September 3, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

If we get rid of CP like Periculum wants, you know Betts would be getting JC sacked all the time.

Viva la drama!

Posted by: Dorf | September 3, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Mike torrico thinks we'll get less than 7.

And what football qualifications does torrico have

AH yes here it is, NONE

Posted by: GreatOne1 | September 3, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I get Mike Torrico and Al Roker mixed up all the time...

they may be the same person.

Posted by: Dorf | September 3, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Jamie Dukes was gushing about Michael Oher last night & what a nasty beast he'll be. I think we can say the same about Orakpo this year as well.

Posted by: will_ga | September 3, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Viva la drama!

Posted by: Dorf | September 3, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

On the plus side we would get to see some sweet draw plays.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 3, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Mike torrico thinks we'll get less than 7.

Posted by: Dorf | September 3, 2009 1:53 PM

Mike Torrico is a Homo.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 3, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I don't mind spending big money if we get dividends.

Albert The Great better show up.

Posted by: Dorf | September 3, 2009 2:10 PM

Davis plays gaurd. He made the PBowl because he plays for Dallas.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 3, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Pashos on the trade block?
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 3, 2009 1:59 PM ET
With two days left before the NFL's mandatory cuts, Thursday is a logical day for general managers across the league to talk to each other about possible trades of players on the bubble.

According to NBCSports.com and PFT's Tom Curran, Jaguars offensive lineman Tony Pashos and Seahawks receiver Deion Branch are two of the players available.

PFT has written previously about Branch, so his availabilty is not a surprise. Pashos is due $4.335 million, and NFL Network's Jason La Canfora writes that Pashos is not guaranteed to make the team after moving inside to guard.

The Jaguars gave Pashos a $10 million signing bonus in 2007, but his play fell off year. Any interested team would likely want to reduce his salary. The Ravens, where Pashos was drafted, could potentially be interested at the right price if they are looking for tackle depth.

Still, trades this late are difficult. Any team that is interested in Pashos knows that he may be available for "free" in a few days.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 3, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I have some very mixed feelings about Dan Snyder.

I'm one of those guys whose family had season tix forever, and then gave them up a few years back b/c we were tired of feeling bilked in new ways every year by the owner.

But even I can see that the Post's article was a complete muckracking hatchet job - almost as bad as the Yanda/Prisbell drive-by on Gary Williams.

Who the heck is authorizing this stuff at the Post the 2 weeks before the season opens?

Is JLA some shadow-editor that we don't know about?

Tommorrow's installment is going to be a 6 page piece about how Snyder let a pet goldfish die when he forgot to clean its tank.

Posted by: p1funk | September 3, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Mike torrico thinks we'll get less than 7.

Posted by: Dorf | September 3, 2009 1:53 PM

Mike Torrico is a Homo.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 3, 2009 2:28 PM

Wait, I thought there was nothing wrong with that

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 3, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Pashos on the trade block?

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 3, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

A couple days back I had mentioned that the Jags have like 4-5 decent-looking OTs on their roster.

I'm hoping they cut one and we can scoop him up...might be this guy.

Posted by: p1funk | September 3, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Kaneohe,

Posted by: smurff1 | September 3, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Smurf1,
Dockery ended up with the Redskins because Buffalo and/or Detroit screwed the pooch and on getting trade paperwork into the League on time. The Redskins were able to sign him(Dockery) as a free agent. Dockery and Big Mike Williams are buds from back in Texas. BMW was of course out of the league due to a series of injuries and had let himself go. Dockery invited BMW and the Mrs to come and stay with the Dockerys so they could work out together and BMW could shed a few score pounds. Dockery gets a wild hair, pimps BMW to the front office, Zorn and Buges, and the Redskins see only upside. They sign him, BMW drops the few score, and has been steadily improving to regain a) personal shape, b) NFL shape, and IMO is well on his way to achieving and perhaps surpassing c) his former first round draft pick beastliness.

All because Dock ended up back here thanks to Bills/Lions ineptitude filing paperwork.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 3, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

"Had it for two years, got married, moved to DC, traded it in on a ’69 VW convertible"

oh no.......oh no......nooooooo.......tell me this is your dark sense of humor at work and this statement above is pure fiction....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | September 3, 2009 2:15 PM

I was telling the people, but the people would not listen.

OLine will be FINE people! Don't worry about Heyer. His progression as an UDRFA is on the MArk!

Dock is back with his usual false starting self! Let's all don't worry about Sameuls and Randy T. Let's hope for the best for those 2 hard working guys!

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 3, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

CORK EATS CROW

John Corcoran's shocking reassessment of Vinny Cerrato

---------------------

Interesting read.

While I can agree that Vinny Cerrato should be downgraded from "shoot on sight" status. I refuse to put accolades on a man who has so completely neglected this team's biggest glaring need - quality OLine.

Posted by: p1funk | September 3, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

What are everyone's predictions for this year? Post them here and we'll come back in January and see who was right and who was way off.

Barno's predictions:

12 wins total (including playoffs)
NFC East Division Title
Home Playoff Games at Fed Ex
Jason Campbell's first Pro Bowl
Laron Landry's first Pro Bowl
London Fletcher's first Pro Bowl
Randy Thomas's first Pro Bowl

And the rest of the pro bowlers:

Hanseworth
Samuels
Cooley
Portis
Moss
Sellers

And the phrase "Can you believe they wanted to trade Campbell?" is uttered approximately 639,317,103 times throughout the season.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 3, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 3, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

If only "hope" had the power to keep bones, tendons and ligaments from breaking down...

Posted by: p1funk | September 3, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe

Luck, yes. But at least they made the move. Had similar "luck" with Kendall and his falling out with the Jets. Saw another team messing up and moved quickly. Both of these fall into the category of "90% of success is showing up". Fortunately, when Dock became available, Vinny was doing a radio show or something like that.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 3, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

errrr.. Vinny WASN'T doing a radio show ... (on the 2:44 post)

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 3, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Mike Torrico is a Homo.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 3, 2009 2:28 PM

Wait, I thought there was nothing wrong with that

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 3, 2009 2:32 PM

No, in the general public, there is nothing wrong with that. But in Football and Military, You can't be acting all 'Politically Correct' and act like you are better than me. (*Cough* Torico and Buck *Cough*).....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 3, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 3, 2009 2:18 PM |

Hey, as some previous poster said, "don't break your arm patting yourself on the back".

Posted by: CottonEyeJoe | September 3, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | September 3, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

etrod's predictions:

10 wins (9-7 + Wild card road win)
Campbell - 3500 yds 19 TDs 11 picks.
Portis - 1100 yds, 10TDs
+5 turnover ratio.
Orakpo > 8 sacks
Big Al plays 12 games and lives up to hype.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 3, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 3, 2009 2:39 PM

I will pray for their needs next time I pray....But I have to push my usual prayer stuff out...like world hunger and maps for all of the Iraqs and US Americans....(Cue 4-12....excuse me...MTSC)

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 3, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe

Mista, some of your posts look more like you've been raiding the bar, rather than raising it.

Hey, he threw the Euphus pitch...I hadda hit it....

Posted by: TheCork | September 3, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

As always with the no playoffs DEADskins..........Way toooo much off the field Verbal /Written wannabe /gonnabe bullcrap ...and NEVER enough on the field kick azz and Take Names...productive performance....

Posted by: unc1dmo | September 3, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

Not completely. For whatever reason, the ‘skins have improved on offense with four, perhaps five good players in the OLine.

Derrick Dockery is an upgrade over Kendall in size and age.

Jeremy Bridges is a big, young versatile backup.

Rinehart, a write off last year, has taken a big step forward.

Will Montgomery has been a very pleasant surprise.

The jury is still out on Big Mike Williams.

Posted by: TheCork | September 3, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

etrod's predictions:

10 wins (9-7 + Wild card road win)
Campbell - 3500 yds 19 TDs 11 picks.
Portis - 1100 yds, 10TDs
+5 turnover ratio.
Orakpo > 8 sacks
Big Al plays 12 games and lives up to hype.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 3, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Agree for the most part with your predictions.

Only one I hope your wrong on is Portis' yards. I'm thinking he can get 1300+ this year. I don't think he's any worse than last year and the teams we play out of conference have much worse run defenses.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 3, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

beeps and stuff

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Beantown, what's up with Beckett? He's going to get whiplash turning to see those balls fly out of the park.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 3, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

beeps and stuff

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

and that stuff is other beeps

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

OK Barno 1, I'll bite.

And here's the opposite spectrum:

Skins win 6
Zorn fired
Shanahan hired
Shanny drafts a Big 12 QB with our top 5 first round pic.

And the good news - Shanahan only comes here if the GM job goes with it. Vinny released and ends up sharing time with Charlie Casserly at NFL network.

Posted by: bones21 | September 3, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I am guessing the nats will get a world series before the skins

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rbpalmer | September 3, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse
Yeah, that's a real no-brainer. Skins have no bull-pen, who would lead off?

Posted by: frediefritz | September 3, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

"Quick name the most productive #2 TE in the NFL last year. I can't. Unless the starter goes down, the #2 TE has minimal value to most teams."

I actually had a candidate: Billy Miller of the Saints. But he actually started a few games in relief of Shockey. Then I rememberd Alge Crumpler and Bo Scaife were both on the field a whole lot for Tennessee. That's probably a better example, although I'm not exactly sure who's number one.

Couple reasons GMs like to draft tight ends: first because there are so many good ones out there, including a few who will convert to tackle, and second because they're a cheap way to fill out your special teams roster with athletic big guys.

Given the vast resources spent on this blog every season in an effort to get Vinny fired, we ought to allow him one day to enjoy some accolades. We can go back to ragging on him tomorrow.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 3, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I would take Danny any day of the week.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 3, 2009

I'll take the Lerners who have 10 times more money and hire real professionals like Mike Rizzo.

And you, oh you prefer Vinny Cerrato? And GM Dan "Snidely Owl" Snyder?

Yeah right that's just "brill" dude!

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

ok...I'm kind of split on the issue regarding the tickets/sueing.

Question 1.) While I agree that terms of contracts should be fulfilled, if the Redskins can find another buyer immediately, why SUE and not just cancel the old ticket holder and sell the tickets to the new buyer?

old buyer is canceled and new buyer gets tickets..seems win-win to me for the Skins.

Question 2.) It is understood that people cannot predict the future, but if a person defaults (Meaning not showing up in court to protest or put up an argument), how can anyone argue that the Skins acted in a immoral behavior?

They have the right to pursue it.

Question 3.) Why SHOULD the Redskins sue their fan base?

Don't know this. Doesn't seem right since other NFL teams would simply cancel the tickets and not pursue legal actions.

Question 4.) Why does this article matter?

The WashPost is in the business of news. They are NOT in the business of being "homers" or "cheerleaders" for a sports franchise. It MAY have a slant or two but it is still promoting NEWS and FACTS.

Ok have at it. ALSO, the answers to the questions are not my beliefs but just want to throw out comments to show both sides of the argument and to see what I am missing or whateva....

Advise?

Posted by: TampaBayareaRedskinsfan | September 3, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

OH and my predictions for the Skins are as follows:

Skins finish with 9-10 wins.

Campbell improves on last season and resigns. 3500+ yds, 19-22 TD's passing, 2 TDS rushing, 10-12 INT's

Portis has another stellar season. over 1400 yds, 10 TDS, 400 yds receiving, 1 TD

Haynesworth = 10 Sacks, 13 games played

Orakpo is a beast, NFC Rookie Defensive player of the Year.

Probowl:

Coooooley
Portis
C. Horton (IF plays 14 or more games)
Haynesworth
D. Hall (7-8 INT's with 1 TD)

just a thought

Posted by: TampaBayareaRedskinsfan | September 3, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins need to look over the final list of cuts and add a veteran like the Ravens did last year with Willie Anderson that can still play the game.

Williams is as big a question mark as Chad Rinehart and Will Montgomery at this point, perhaps larger because at least you can probably count on Chad and Will to be there for 16 weeks.

If Williams had to come in to play my wager is that good performance or not he would be off the field in 1-3 weeks with yet another injury.

His body has undergone severe changes and it would be foolhardy not to think that his current spate of injuries will not continue for some time.

Put him on IR. Let him develop a rhythm based on his new physique and then he can be a factor in 2010.

Posted by: leopard09 | September 3, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I love all you skins fans/expert analyst. A bunch of Mel Kieper Jr Jr's. But unless you have been a professional NFL player, coach, scout or personnel manager for an NFL team then you are less qualified knowledge wise than these non athletic sports reporters who havent worked for the NFL themselves. Just a bunch of fans with an overinflated self regard for their own opinions. Basically Skip Bayless without the ESPN paycheck. I think Joe Bugel knows a little more about Williams potential than fans and reporters. He actually does it for a living and has had success doing it. Which one of you has worked as a OL Coach in the NFL?

Posted by: ged0386 | September 3, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rbpalmer | September 3, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse
Yeah, that's a real no-brainer. Skins have no bull-pen, who would lead off?

Posted by: frediefritz |
Portis would be our leadoff hitter,
Campbell would start as pitcher, Collins would come in in the 5th or 6th, Colt would be the knuckleballer for an inning or so and Daniel would be the closer. Carter, Orakpo and Fletch would be the big bats and Horton, Landry and Hall would play outfield. Moss at short, ARE at second. Cooley at first, Third is up for grabs and Haynesworth is blocking the plate at home. I think they would give the nats a game.

Posted by: ged0386 | September 3, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Williams will get time before the season is over. They did not keep him around this long to just give up on him. If that is the case they could have cut him a couple of weeks ago.

Posted by: ged0386 | September 3, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

He has contributed very little during preseason. And does not appear to be ready to contribute next week either, except to take a few snaps just in case a starter needs to catch a breath or cramp.

Posted by: mark65 | September 3, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse