Zorn: No Special Treatment for D. Thomas

Second-year wide receiver Devin Thomas has big-time talent, many people I trust in the organization often tell me. But maturity and focus are not among Thomas's strengths at this point of his career, and his lackadaisical attitude at times has been a source of frustration within the organization. After returning kickoffs in the third preseason game against the New England Patriots (and doing it well), Thomas said that duty helped him get into the flow of the game quickly.

So the other day I asked Coach Jim Zorn if the Redskins would have Thomas become Rock Cartwright's permanent partner on kickoff returns. With the retirement of wide receiver James Thrash in the offseason, the job is open, and it would seem that helping Thomas -- the team's first pick in the 2008 draft -- get it together would be a top priority for the Redskins.

As we learned last year, Zorn isn't into babying players -- regardless of their status on the team. Thomas will work with Cartwright on kickoff returns, but Zorn expects him to take the correct approach regardless of his role on special teams or in the passing game. He expects Thomas to conduct himself as a professional.

"I think it helps a guy to get the ball, but I'm hoping that he can do it ... maybe somebody just has to smack him on the sideline," Zorn said. "You know, something to get him fired up. I don't want to put that [additional duties] on a guy to always have to be ready.

"He's going to kind of hold us hostage, 'Well, you didn't put me on the kickoff, so that's why I didn't play well.' That doesn't make any sense."

By Jason Reid  |  September 12, 2009; 5:03 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn Addresses His Job Security
Next: The Sunday Morning Reading List

Comments

Everything out of Redskins Park has pointed to the fact that Thomas is a knucklehead. It is time for him to grow up start earning his money.

Posted by: MPNangle | September 12, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

DT is so overrated! Who does he think he is?

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | September 12, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | September 12, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

to many comment in to short a period of time , Hmmmm

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | September 12, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Skins win by 7 or less

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | September 12, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

The guy calls to mind another misfit, Brandon Lloyd.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 12, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

How is D. Thomas a 'knucklehead'? Can someone explain this?

Posted by: BMACattack | September 12, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

to me an knucklehead is someone that just doesn't get it. He has been coached and talked to over and over and yet still seems, (from afar) to not be able to put it together in the same manner as say his draft class buddy MK.
Dense, obtuse, stupid, moronic are all more brusque, but maybe appropriate labels as well?

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | September 12, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I would recommend watching the Zorn clip on Redskins.com, cause reading the transcript above makes it sound like he's a lot harsher on Thomas than I thought when I actually heard the coach saying all that.

Posted by: mmeixler | September 12, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

How is D. Thomas a 'knucklehead'? Can someone explain this?

Posted by: BMACattack | September 12, 2009 5:30 PM

I thought that J. Reid explained it when he wrote, "But maturity and focus are not among Thomas's strengths at this point of his career, and his lackadaisical attitude at times has been a source of frustration within the organization."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 12, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Reid,

He said, she said. You like this kind of reporting, Reid? You sound like a gossip columnist working National Enquirer. How low have you come. It's well documented that Thomas is taking a while to get going as a pro player in every sense of the word, but it mystifies me when you throw around garbage. Give us some news.

Posted by: getitritegov | September 12, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Thomas looked pretty good returning kicks. Let him develope his game on special teams while Kelly and Mitchell hold down the wr positions

Posted by: coparker5 | September 12, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Let's Make Some Predictions.

Okay, I'm archiving the following predictions.

We'll revisit them sometime around Feb. 7th.

Super Bowl: pats v. iggles

BCS Championship: USC v. UF

ACC-easy Champ: doesn't matter, but we'll take Va-Tech

SEC Championship: Bama v. Gators

Heisman: Tebow, who else?

World Series: Yankees v. Dodgers (The Return of Torre--and Dodger Blue wins)

NBA Story: healthy Celtics v. focused Lakers

Biggest Flop: Blueprint 3

Biggest Fall: the Big Ten

Greatest Rise: the Big 12

Under the Radar NFL Team: Packers

Under the Radar NFL Player: Aaron Rodgers

NFC Rookie of the Year: Brian Orakpo

AFC Rookie of the Year: Mark Sanchez

NFL FREE AGENT BUST: T.O.

NFL FREE AGENT Success: Prince AL

We got five months of the best time for sports: GITCHA POPCORN READY!!!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 12, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm still a little surprised that B Lloyd made the Broncos. However, he did have a decent preseason from what I saw.

Posted by: will_ga | September 12, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Greatest Rise: the Big 12

Maybe, but it sure didn't look like it about 30 minutes ago! Texas & OK St finally got going.

Posted by: will_ga | September 12, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

will_ga--

Lloyd has the talent to make the team. His problem has always been attitude. Plus he played with Orton in Chicago.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 12, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

A couple indiscretions and this guy gets crucified and people turn on him. Everytime a poster mentions Thomas it's followed by the same old stuff about him not focusing, he's not disciplined, lapses in judgement, work ethic, whatever.

It's not like this guy is cutting up everyday. Aside from training camp LAST YEAR, I would like to know an occasion where the team called into question his focus or lack thereof. This same report about Thomas has been recycled and rehashed. It gets beaten into the ground and this type of journalism causes a negative stigma, particularly for a second year wideout who cannot be given an accurate assesment yet.

This happens for a lot of the players. Whether it's Kelly's knees, Haynesworth's contract, Mike Williams weight loss, Campbell and the ownership issue.....

I've followed RI since the beginning, I rarely comment, I know how most of the commenters feel about the front office or players, and I know Jason Reid's feelings towards coaches, players, management. The people reading this blog love the Redskins. We follow them everyday. We know that the offensive line is a question mark and that Snyder and Cerrato went after Cutler and Sanchez. We have read these things hundreds of times.

This post is really directed to Jason, as I have read here that he often reads the comments and has referenced people like Nate, RED, DCsween.... but everyone that reads the posts to RI already has this type of information. Why continually reference players and then mention an issue that is somewhat arbitrary and mostly negative? Reposting this information really makes it seem like these are habitual things, when in truth it was one instance or two.

I love the blog, check it 15 times a day, like it much more now that JReid is doing it and think the crew is much better than when La Canfora was here.

I know this issue has been expressed before, and I would have emailed this directly to Jason, but I couldn't find the link or didn't look hard enough.

Posted by: saltine182 | September 12, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

this guy is a tool...he has his own blog yet barely makes the team and has been of NO help on the field.

His priorities are all screwwed up and his talent level is half of what he thinks it is. Morons of this nature are a dime a dozen in the NFL (and eventually the Canadian League and then the XFL or some similar format and finally serving me fries in the drive thru).

Sad we wasted a 2nd rounder on him but as we all know the draft is far from an exact science. Just seems that spending 5 minutes alone in a room with this guy would have been enough to cross him off your list.

Posted by: marksmen | September 12, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: marksmen | September 12, 2009 6:06 PM

I agree with the thrust, but not the vehemence of your post. But this line is strange. If you haven't spent five minutes alone with him in a room, how would you know this?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 12, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

marksmen

"Sad we wasted a 2nd rounder (on Devin Thomas)..."

I think the wasted pick is Fred Davis.

I'd prefer having Sam Baker--left tackle to Davis as there are so many running tight ends now, picking one with a high selection anymore is dumb.

But Thomas intrigues as he might have a fine career as a kick/punt returner and third receiver.

He might become our Steve Breaston--the complementary 3rd receiver to two excellent ones: Kelly/Mitchell.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 12, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Skins win by more than 14!

Take that, hangdogs, pessimists, doubters, worriers, nihilists, naysayers, defeatists, worrywarts, gloomy Gus's, wet blankets, and doomsayers!
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | September 12, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: saltine182 | September 12, 2009 6:02 PM

What he said.

This post is nothing but a cut and past of two other post already debated back and forth. Agree, this is lazy journalism.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 12, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Thomas would inject some athleticism to our special teams

Posted by: coparker5 | September 12, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

This is getting ridiculous....these quotes have ALDEADY BEEN USED IN A POST!!!!!

I know I was considered a Janso apologist, but i was happy to see him move on if only b/c it was a tired routine from all angels. But I officially think the blog posts were better before. The Mayor reposts the same thing over and over. Usually just in theme but this one is word for word. My gawd mix it up. Talk USC football. Get Stan Hixon's view of the young WRs on thGinas, Get Todd Collins compare/contrast of the offense he ran for a decade and the WCO. SOMETHING other than ROCK/Mason/Zorn/JC/12&13 or at least a different take on the same 6 players coaches.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 12, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

coparker5

"...Thomas would inject some athleticism to our special teams..."

And if I'm Jim Zorn, I sit the guy down and remind him you can go to the Pro Bowl for special teams.

We got a decent punter in Hunter Smith.

Sell Thomas on the idea that he can be a game changing, field-flipping kick/punt returner.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 12, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

damn, meant to write cut and paste.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 12, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

"Anti-Government Protests Draws Tens of Thousands to D.C."

These protesters are the same people who, when the hurricane/earthquake/natural disaster hits scream, "Where's FEMA!?"

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 12, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator

Admitedly, I have never spent 5 minutes alon in a room with D. Thomas. I have spent the last 19 months watching him from a distance. My point was that unless this guy is some kind of David Copperfield Illusionist I think any competent front office personal could have immediately and easily seen thru his nonsense and moved on in the draft board - plenty of other teams new better.

Posted by: marksmen | September 12, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

"Where's FEMA!?"

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 12, 2009 6:47 PM

Pitiful, Moe. No one has ever asked "Where's FEMA?" There is no larger screw-up organization in government. These people ask "Where's Wal-Mart?"

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 12, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 12,

The Coast Guard's communication skills aren't looking too hot after yesterday's little "exercise".

Posted by: will_ga | September 12, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

"Where's FEMA!?"

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 12, 2009 6:47 PM

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 12, 2009 6:51 PM |
=====================================

I can't believe you two are slandering these fine Patriots™ this way.

They aren't asking for anything...no, they are demanding that you keep your socialist, gubbermint hands off their Medicare!
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | September 12, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

I have spent the last 19 months watching him from a distance.

Posted by: marksmen | September 12, 2009 6:49 PM |

Marksmen? A stalker? But, I doubt you've done that. You've read selective quotes and stories in the media, hardly justification for the case you're trying to build against him and the Redskins for having chosen him.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 12, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

"These people ask "Where's Wal-Mart?"

LOL!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 12, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

If Thomas' head is not in the game, then M. Mitchell should be activated. The NFL has a stupid rule that requires 8 players to be deactivated. Can anyone explain the reason why this dumba%$ rule exist

Posted by: pennstate1 | September 12, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Not sure why it's at 45 (with 8 deactivated) today, but I can supply some history.

From 1964-73, rosters were limited to 40 players (hence the Vikings’ old “40 for 60" motto), but increased to 47 in 1974. The active roster limit went to 43 in 1975-77, 45 in 1978-81, 49 in 1982-1984, and has been at (essentially) 45 since.

Personally, 49 sounds good to me, but I'm not sure if they didn't bump that up at the time due to the strike.

Either way, if everyone could play 49 it would be fair, and might even make for better games - with increased depth on each team.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 12, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Goodbye, Charlie Weiss!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 12, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

two good endings in CFB. ucla/tenn and M/ND.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 12, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

two good endings in CFB. ucla/tenn and M/ND.
Posted by: chrislarry | September 12, 2009 7:18 PM |

Yep. Poor Charlie Weis. He's gonna gain twenty more pounds by next week.

Posted by: will_ga | September 12, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Dumb taunting penalty...

Posted by: WRBD | September 12, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Hail to the VICTORS...MICHIGAN BABY!!!

Forcier is the 'real' TRUTH! Wow...Wow...WOW!!

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 12, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Moe - don't you think that could be part of why they are anti-government?

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | September 12, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Forcier is the 'real' TRUTH! Wow...Wow...WOW!!

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 12, 2009 7:26 PM

He put on a show. But he looks to me like he's too short for the NFL.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 12, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Except for the Combines..Vinny spends time with the player's agent.. Not the player.

Casserly when he worked for Allen, Bethard and himself (GM) visited players at their colleges, visited their coaches, their parents/home..etc.. Got to know the character of the player.. unearthing the likes of Jacoby, Bostic, Brian Mitchell, etc...in the late rounds..
Snyder once said...That firing Casserly was his worst mistake as owner.
++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: marksmen | September 12, 2009 6:06 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 12, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Snyder once said...That firing Casserly was his worst mistake as owner.
++++++++++++++++++++++
--------------------------------

If that's true, he's had ample opportunity to correct that mistake and hire him back.

I'd be happy if Casserly was once again the GM of the Washington Redskins.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 12, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Mrredskin21....thanks for the info regarding inactives. Anyone else care to elaborate on why the NFL has a policy that requires 8 players to be inactive on gameday

Posted by: pennstate1 | September 12, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Let's Make Some Predictions.

Okay, I'm archiving the following predictions.

We'll revisit them sometime around Feb. 7th.

Super Bowl: pats v. iggles

BCS Championship: USC v. UF

ACC-easy Champ: doesn't matter, but we'll take Va-Tech

SEC Championship: Bama v. Gators

Heisman: Tebow, who else?

World Series: Yankees v. Dodgers (The Return of Torre--and Dodger Blue wins)

NBA Story: healthy Celtics v. focused Lakers

Biggest Flop: Blueprint 3

Biggest Fall: the Big Ten

Greatest Rise: the Big 12

Under the Radar NFL Team: Packers

Under the Radar NFL Player: Aaron Rodgers

NFC Rookie of the Year: Brian Orakpo

AFC Rookie of the Year: Mark Sanchez

NFL FREE AGENT BUST: T.O.

NFL FREE AGENT Success: Prince AL

We got five months of the best time for sports: GITCHA POPCORN READY!!!!!

________________________________________
And caps in less than a month!!!

Posted by: daimon_junk | September 12, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

pennst:

Basically to negate the potential unfairness that one team having injuries on the 53 and not being able to dress the amount.

Still dumb. A few posts back I suggested some workarounds. To summarize you dress your roster, expand PSquad to 10 and create shorter IR stints so you could stash injured guys (think Troy P in Pitt) for 4/6 week stints thus creating roster fluidity to ensure you could field 53.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 12, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

daimon

"And caps in less than a month!!!"

I feelya, bro'.

Unlike most brothas, I do get my 'hockey' on from time to time.

I grew up a Penguins fan in Central Pa.

Sorry for omitting the Caps, but hey, the Tea Party Protester in me will blame big government for the omission.

Goooooooo Caps......!!!!(maybe)

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 12, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone feeling nervous?? For some reason I'm feeling so nervous and it's not even Sunday!! I wonder how I'll be tomorrow. I'm going to pray for the Skins to win cuz if they don't my whole week will be ruined. ;(

Posted by: rachel216 | September 12, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Pens...GAK!

Can't wait for Hockey season. Caps baby!

Posted by: chrislarry | September 12, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

have you considered therapy??
++++++++++++++++

Posted by: rachel216 | September 12, 2009 8:01 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 12, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

daimon_junk & MistaMoe: Agreed! CAPS all the way!! And Wizards too!!

Posted by: rachel216 | September 12, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

That was stricktly a College post.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 12, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

jesusfreakkaren

"Moe - don't you think that could be part of why they are anti-government?"

The conservative republican in me sees where you're coming from.

In the event of major social-economic or natural breakdown, the people who hate big government are right to suggest the 'rugged individualists' should band together.

I'll remember that when the wealthy decide to screw up the economy again.

I'll also remember that here in South Florida when a cat 5 hurricane blows away my four bedroom home and exposes my family to gun nuts excerising their second amendment rights.

I'm glad that people like you are here to remind me that my biggest fear isn't the government: instead its idiots who use fear to hide the fact that they know they are idiots.

After all: dismissing personal responsiblity is the American Way.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 12, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Completely non-football, in fact kind of meaningful. My sister is a wildlands fire investigator. She sent me this link re the Station fire in LA.

Posted by: MrChili | September 12, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

looking at the 1st half of the season soft schedule (Giants/Eagles notwithstanding) and the much harder opponents in the second half (except Raiders)..

Note to Buges.. If Skins are winning games handily in the first half of the season, to prevent injuries and wear and tear.. please rotate and give the 1st string OLine alot of "blows"...off plays.. Otherwise, skins will have a redux of 08 with 2nd half OLine injuries taking us to W-L 2-6..
Additionally, this gives the much doubted backup OLine guys some experience before the challenges of the 2nd half of the season.
Just in case you're spending all your spare time in your NJ hotel room reading wapo RI, Buges..
Oh, and if again no OLine selections in the 2010 Draft...
I'd quit.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 12, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator

Ok Talent_E, D. Thomas was an excellent choice and the Skins are lucky to have him. Players like him are sure to take us to the next level. Hopefully we sign him to a long term contract and keep him in Burgundy Gold for a long time.

Does that seem more reasonable to you? I'll save you the trouble of answering...NO. It sounds ridiculous but if it makes you sleep better tonitthen sweet dreams.

Posted by: marksmen | September 12, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Nice link Mr.Chill.

Posted by: mack1 | September 12, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Thomas calls to mind the incompetence of Snyder and Cerrato. Snyder to make big changes if the Skins don't make the playoffs? He makes changes regardless for no apparent reason. Why did he fire Schottenheimer? Why did he hire Spurrier? Why did he turn Joe (I'm here for the $5+ million) Gibbs into a dutiful pawn? Why does he change the offense at a whim? Why the WCO without the personnel to run it, including the QB? Why the "big" receiver push? Randel-El a virtually a complete failure of a free agent. Why skimp on the O-line? Why skimp on the D-line for so many years?

Snyder and Cerratto are incompetent. There have been no ups for this team under him. There have only been abberations that resulted in some of the weakest teams ever to make the playoffs.

Posted by: hz9604 | September 12, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

The winner of this game is going to the one with more gas in the tank in the 4th quarter. If the Vagiants 5 receivers under age 25 can wear down the Skins secondary, and vice versa, or if the Skins D-line can outlast the NY O-line, then the team in better condition wins this game. This is dcsween's "Key to the Game" (sponsored by Thursday nights slug fest between Pittsburgh and Tennessee). Every other factor, on balance, is a push.

Posted by: dcsween | September 12, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

There is a nugget in a JReid post that seems to have been unremarked upon ... from the one about LoZo and STeams:

... "That's four positions on special teams that were locked down," Alexander said. "Khary was a rock. You knew he was going to be there to make a good block or make a tackle. So it falls back on guys like me now, and Chris Wilson and Justin Tryon." ...

That last player there, am I the only one who felt a shudder run down his spine?

Posted by: dcsween | September 12, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Moe - I can see where they are coming from because people are frustrated by the amount of taxes the government takes along with the perceived (if not real) invasion of privacy, and yet the job FEMA did after Katrina is all the people feel like they got from it. Whether I agree with that viewpoint or not, it's certainly understandable. BTW, all my income literally comes from the federal government, so aside from the incredible inefficiency of the government, I am pro-government.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | September 12, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

From SI article tonight:
Washington's fun on a number of levels. Just not the football one. I do like, though, that Dan Snyder has a monopoly on D.C. sports radio stations, That's right, Redskin fans, you can be tortured by the play-by-play and nonstop depressing analysis of your team on any number of Snyder-owned frequencies! It's the small things.
Traina: Dan Snyder's bad-guy-ness is so underrated

Don't know anything about DC media(except that Kelly J is cute)What stations does Snyder own?

Posted by: will_ga | September 12, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

I know its been a year and half.. but, it will be interesting if JC is struggling tomorrow in Giant stadium while the last Skins QB to beat the Giants (in 50 mph gust/rain at the Meadowlands) is sitting on the bench.
I believe Collins averaged 20 yards per completion and Eli only 10.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 12, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm extremely nervous. The redskins always seem to disappoint in big games. For example, the season opener last year againts the jints...Cambpell didn't do anything. He just looked scared all day. :/
Don't get me wrong, JC is the man, he's our team. But you can't lie, he needs to step it up.

Posted by: BMACattack | September 12, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

FCC asleep at the wheel.. The sales should never of been approved...
++++++++++++++++++++++

From SI article tonight:
Traina: Dan Snyder's bad-guy-ness is so underrated

Posted by: will_ga | September 12, 2009 9:52 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 12, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Last I heard, Red Zebra Broadcasting bought low power three stations that could cover the entire listening area. It might have a single stronger signal now. It has the DC monopoly ESPN radio, though there might be a competing station now. LaVar's show (which is really really stupid) is, I think, on a competitor's station. Or maybe Red Zebra owns both. 4th Floor listens to radio (when he's not in the car), he would know. Red Zebra is Snyder's broadcasting venture.

Posted by: dcsween | September 12, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

This is from Wikipedia: Red Zebra currently owns and operates six Washington, D.C. area radio stations (WXTR 730 AM, WWXT 92.7 FM, WWXX 94.3 FM, WTEM ESPN 980, WTNT 570 AM, & WWRC Progressive Talk 1260). These stations serve collectively as the flagship for the Redskins Radio Network. Red Zebra also owns the ESPN Radio all-sports station in Richmond, VA, (WXGI 950 AM), and the Fox Sports Radio affiliate in Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA, heard on (WXTG-FM 102.1 FM) in Virginia Beach and on (WXTG 1490 AM) in Hampton, VA. All nine Red Zebra stations are part of the Redskins Radio Network.

In July 2008, Red Zebra merged WTEM with its Triple X ESPN Radio triplex in the Washington area, rebranding the quadplex as ESPN 980.

Redskins Radio is the Official Play-by-Play and home to the Washington Redskins. Commentators on gameday include Hall of Famers Sam Huff and Sonny Jurgenson, plus Larry Michael.

Posted by: dcsween | September 12, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

LaVar is on 106.7, WJFK, and that is CBS Sports radio, which The Owner does not (yet) own.

Posted by: dcsween | September 12, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Other than LaVar's show (which I mentioned is really, really stupid), WJFK also has the Sports Junkies, some Fox radio feed, and WaPo's own Mike Wise ... everybody else works for The Owner, Mr. Snyder.

Posted by: dcsween | September 12, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Somebody was griping about D. Thomas and attitude being old news, rehashed, that there was nothing new to it. I just found this on the Skins blog (Matt Terl) about yesterday's practice:

The defensive backs were having fun, not just joking with LaRon Landry about the Brandon Jacobs hit, but -- in the case of Fred Smoot -- with yelling at second-year wide receiver Devin Thomas.

The offense was dominating the D-backs in 1-on-1 drills, including Smoot getting beaten for a touchdown, and Thomas decided to point that fact out. Smoot's response, as best I could jot it down: "This is 1-on-1s. Do that in the game. And for now, do this" -- he put his finger to his lips -- "be quiet."

I feel very periculular monoblogging up here now. I'm off then.

Posted by: dcsween | September 12, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe, you funny.

You are definitely on a roll tonight!

Posted by: rgj21 | September 12, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe, you funny.

You are definitely on a roll tonight!

Posted by: rgj21 | September 12, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

add this (full media control) and the ticket scalping BY THE OWNER and lawsuits against fans.... I am becoming less and less a fan..

How old is Snyder? 40? Means that if he is the next Al Davis.. we got him for another 40 years??

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 12, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

I'd be happy if Casserly was once again the GM of the Washington Redskins.

Posted by: MrRedskin21
_______________

I second that.

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 12, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Our secondary is so overrated. Fred Smoot needs to actually do something than hit someones knees and then celebrate for making half a tackle.

Posted by: BMACattack | September 12, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

what the hell happened to sareena????!!! wow!!!

btw...mr. tate forcier, i'm a fan!!!

Posted by: dealer1 | September 12, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

These protests are pointless. The Democrats control everything and since none of these people in the crowd would ever vote D, there's no reason for the Democrats to listen to them.

I don't mind anti-spending, anti-deficit rhetoric (some aspects of it makes a lot of sense). What I want to know is where the Hades were these people when Reagan and Bush were driving up the deficit and spending money hand over fist for nonsensical reasons...

Back on topic, Tryon doesn't scare me on special teams... just when he's in our secondary.

And the thought of Snyder owning the team for 40 years also terrifies me. There's the potential to be even worse than Al Davis. At least Davis had about 30 years of non-senility before dropping off, and he was a pretty shrewd guy back in the day. We're already starting low. I can't imagine how much lower we could go...

HTTR.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | September 12, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

The line up on 106.7 The Fan is horrendous. Mike Wise is PC spewing moron and Lavar is nice guy but...yawn...has nothing to say. Cheers

Posted by: MPNangle | September 12, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

You know, if you're gonna have a hissy fit you might as well do it right. Serena raised the bar on it tonight.

How long until Matt Barkley can enter the draft?

Posted by: will_ga | September 13, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | September 12, 2009 11:26 PM

True, Al davis was the man for decades until the neurons started sputtering and fragile turned into fra-gee-lay and then his brain just turned to mush.

Posted by: will_ga | September 13, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

dcsween, thanks for the radio info. I've listened to 980 some over the internet. Mostly Tony K's new show last week.

Posted by: will_ga | September 13, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

WHAT tony has a new show on 980???!!! wtf!!! how come i wasn't personally informed!?

Posted by: dealer1 | September 13, 2009 1:02 AM | Report abuse

jesusfreakaren

"I can see where they are coming from because people are frustrated by the amount of taxes the government takes along with the perceived (if not real) invasion of privacy,..."

My issue is if they are so upset by the over-reaching actions of government, where was their Archie Bunker-style whining during the days when the Bush administration pushed FISA down the congressional throat?

Over-Taxed? Spare me this argument, please.

Tea Baggers have been for regressive taxation since the days of the Gipper, and now have found out that a 1040 long form is the new street corner the IRS has us middle income leemings working all in the name of trickle-down economics.

Their issue is not a part of anything they openly complain about.

They dress like patriots but think like Reichland brownshirts.

Ask one of them to explain what, "Afro-Leninism" is while reminding them of the distance between Russia and Africa.

They don't realize that the demographic complexion of the future of the country will look a lot like the color of a cup of tea.

And at some point, they need to shut up, and sip from the chalice of a changing America and enjoy the flavor.

'Cuz for right now, it's the only juice in town.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 13, 2009 1:07 AM | Report abuse

"How long until Matt Barkley can enter the draft?"

Here's something to remember: Stinky Pete Carrol wanted Mark Sanchez back this year, which means that Barkley would be riding the pine.

How stupid would that have been?

Barkley is good.

But the Wolverine q-back Tate Forcier is The Truth, who cares if he's short?

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 13, 2009 1:13 AM | Report abuse

Tate Forcier is The Truth.

Yep, he was impressive.

Which reminds me, did that 3rd person speaking GA bulldawg loon go away? Don't think I've seen his ramblings lately.

Posted by: will_ga | September 13, 2009 1:42 AM | Report abuse

They are expressing a subconscious fear that someone who doesn't look like them is running the country, plain and simple...
Posted by: MistaMoe | September 13, 2009 1:07 AM

He was elected to run it. We need him to run it. Last month he wasn't running it & instead of sounding like James Earl Jones he sounded more like James Earl Carter and that wasn't a good thing.

The speech last week helped though & maybe the silliness will go away now & the work can begin.

Posted by: will_ga | September 13, 2009 1:53 AM | Report abuse

Uhh, bench city. No incentives in the contract. Marko Mitchell...coach'em up baby. Free agency is a tough place for a 2nd year unproven receiver with a bad attitude. Especially with all the receiving talent in the league. Nothing spells wake up like a job loss and a pay cut. Thanks Vinny!

Posted by: 20yrskinfan | September 13, 2009 2:21 AM | Report abuse

So, MistaMoe, you're saying that if Obama were a white guy trying to turn America into a European-style socialist nanny state, the regular folks protesting all over the country would be okay with it.

But since he's only half-white, no sale.

Really?

Do you see how silly that argument is?

It's not about race, my friend. It's about ideology and the erosion of liberty.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 13, 2009 2:30 AM | Report abuse

13 hours now....

Posted by: bryaningrocery | September 13, 2009 2:36 AM | Report abuse

so soon

Posted by: bryaningrocery | September 13, 2009 2:37 AM | Report abuse

Ginas will be whipped TODAY!

Hail.

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 13, 2009 3:35 AM | Report abuse

It's not about race, my friend. It's about ideology and the erosion of liberty.

Posted by: freakzilla

----------

duude? hate to bring too much politics on you, but are you kiddin me? We had a couple of fascists (Bush/Cheney) taking away any semblance of liberty during the darkest 8 years of our history and now you have a bone to pick with Obama? why? because he cares about average human? and is not just interested in the interests of the rich, fat and heartless white Republicans? puhleeeze

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 13, 2009 3:37 AM | Report abuse

and btw, Redskins 20-Ginas 10

so it is written, so it shall be

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 13, 2009 3:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216

---------------

hugs

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 13, 2009 3:52 AM | Report abuse

Skins win by more than 14!

~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya

--------------

I have them up by 10, but I'll take 14, no problem dude!

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 13, 2009 3:55 AM | Report abuse

Thomas is a loser, like people who post "first" on comment boards.

Posted by: kls1 | September 13, 2009 4:49 AM | Report abuse

Do not know if this has been posted or discussed but the Skins are predicted to be the NFC rep in the Superbowl on PFT.

Posted by: leevi98 | September 13, 2009 5:41 AM | Report abuse

Game Day

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 13, 2009 6:50 AM | Report abuse

I saw some mention the protest.
Well....Me, Wife, and Kids were downtown @ the kinkos @ Navy Memorial when the protestors were leaving the Capital.

And I am not going to lie. I was scared as SJK. They had Glen Beck signs, The Obama Joker face, and alot of what appeared to be rascist type signs. Half of them had this, 'We Are The Mob' shirt. The thousand or so people who passed me were 100% of one race.

So when they passed me as I was looking to make sure I don't get ticketed, no one looked directly at me and ALL tried their best to avoid me while I was trying to read each and every sign and wonder in my head how all these averge looking Moms and Granparents would have such hateful signs.

And I never backed Obama was what I was thinking in my head, but all they saw was my color on the outside.

That SJK was truely scary.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 13, 2009 7:07 AM | Report abuse

Kind of like my new bride and I felt while looking at the cherry blossoms around the reflecting pool in April 1968? Truely scary.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 13, 2009 7:23 AM | Report abuse

GO SKINS

Posted by: Vicc | September 13, 2009 7:38 AM | Report abuse

4th, What did your children think? Did they ask you questions and what did you tell them?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 13, 2009 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Big Michigan FAn. I jus wish I were into college football more

Posted by: Vicc | September 13, 2009 7:40 AM | Report abuse

4th floor:

WINSTON CHURCHILL had a famous saying. "A man who's twenty and isn't liberal has no heart. A man who's forty and isn't conservative has no brain." As I am traveling in the opposite direction from that thought, I guess I know where I stand. I suppose we must all be forgiven today for the political comments due to the activities going on in town. After all, it is WASHINGTON D.C. So we get a BRIEF pass.

Despite the bigoty and racism prevelant in many activities prominant in this town, most of us love our country no matter how misguided we may think others are individually.

Just reflect back to another unhappy time in our history when most people in this country perceived it as the UNITED STATES and not as AMERICA. Therefore of no particular consequence to leave it and form a separate country. We've come a long way politically and socially since then. And we've a long way to travel yet. But travel together we will for better or worse as the UNITED STATES of AMERICA.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 13, 2009 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Seahawks
Packers
Patriots
Chargers

And of course Skins by 8-14 points

Posted by: Vicc | September 13, 2009 7:47 AM | Report abuse

TE - I gave my son an Examiner paper and had him read the Redskins preview. We just came from his football game (They won 34-0) and he wasn't reading the signs. Me and the wife was the only one paying attention.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 13, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

@Vicc....If your a Wolverines fan like I am...that game should have brought you back....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 13, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

I like that -- the Examiner as a distraction. Good parenting skills.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 13, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

glawrence007 - thanks for the insight. Though I may have missed some of your point towards the end, I believe I know where you were going...As I am still in my 20s (last year though), my views constantly evolve as I encounter new points.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 13, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Politics? Sigh

Any1 here ever heard of the Median Voter Model?

Posted by: Vicc | September 13, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

4th floor:

You're a good man 4th floor. In the latter part of my comment I referenced the Civil War period. I'm a historian. Much of what you saw yesterday is rooted in that time. My comment is "this too shall pass."

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 13, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor

`
I was a little busy yesterday n didn't get a chance to see da game. Saw the highlights though and Michigan looks like they've recruited a little speed. bout time.

Posted by: Vicc | September 13, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

HA! Now I get it! Thanks for that. I realize everything deals with 'seasons'. Sadly, all seasons always come back around. But, like you said, this shall pass....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 13, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Vicc,

There weren't any median voters at yesterday's protest. I think a lot of us median types were at home watching Michigan put the wood to Noter Doter. That was worth seeing, and not just the highlights.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 13, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Whoa,

Serena Williams was pissed! C-C-C-Catfight?

If there were a species above us, would we still have Govt?

Anarchy? Sure..From Chaos comes Clarity.

Posted by: Vicc | September 13, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Anybody a Scout.com member? This article headline reads:

Phil Simms: Jason Out of Excuses

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 13, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Behind Enemy Lines: Q&A With: Eli Manning

Site Staff
WarpathInsiders.com Sep 9, 2009

See what Eli Manning had to say to the media today.

Q: You had such a good comfort level with Plaxico and Amani, how different has it been for you this summer?
A: There are a lot of new faces out there. We have some rookies who are up to par on what’s going on. But we still have guys who have been here, guys who have played and started and know the offense well. It’s a matter of adjusting to do what they do well, run the routes that they feel comfortable with and do best.

Q: Jason is going through the same thing you went through a couple years ago, what are some traits that you used to get through that and succeed?
A: You focus on your job and you try to win games every week and improve every week and earn the respect of your teammates. That’s what I do week in and week out.

Q: Now that the Redskins have Albert Haynesworth, how much of an extra challenge is that?
A: He’s a tremendous player. You have to know where he is and what he’s doing. You still have to go out and execute our game plan. There are other guys on the field besides him. They have playmakers throughout the whole defense. It still comes down to execution and playing great football.

Q: Is there any difference in the locker room this year compared to last year?
A: I think guys are hungry, ready for the start of the season. We’re excited about what we can do as a team t his year and I think there might be more something to prove this year. You still have to come out and be mentally ready for the opening game and we still have to come out playing great football.

Q: How much does DeAngelo Hall change the Redskins secondary?
A: He’s a very talented corner. They like to play man to man and he has great speed. He’s a good corner and our receivers have to run great routes and I have to throw it on time.

Story URL: http://was.scout.com/2/897296.html

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 13, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Yeah Vicc, I heavily doubt there were any median voters. They don't listen to Glenn Beck.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 13, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Phil Simms: Jason Out of Excuses

Posted by: 4thFloor

`
Huh? U mean Phil Simms likes our O-line? *chuckle*

Posted by: Vicc | September 13, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

4th floor:

Who's GLEN BECK? The latest conservative point man and voice?

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 13, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

I see DT as Rock Cartrights future replacement on Kick Returns.

Posted by: Vicc | September 13, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

HE is a leading conservative radio voice who has a weekend tv show on fox news. He is the new Rush Limbaugh and is currently controlling the conservative movement instead of republican lawmakers.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 13, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

LAST political post.

Joe Wilson will be on Fox News Sunday @ 9am........

Back to Football....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 13, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

The only point I was trying to make about the median voter model is that the Govt stays away from extremes. Nothing ever changes. Obama is working to undo changes Clinton made with regard to ease in getting loans.(jus a small example)Anarchy is the way to go. Who cares about politics anyway?

Posted by: Vicc | September 13, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Vicc:

Not today. Today is REDSKINS. RIP SAMMY BAUGH. GRIFFITH STADIUM. December 10, 1952 to September 13, 2009, REDSKINS FAN. GO 'SKINS. Kick some azz. Think DEVIN THOMAS will see any burn that is of any consequence?

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 13, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Cindy's laid out some fresh hamster gruel

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 13, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

It seems to me DT has some issues and he needs to get his head straight. Frankly, he sounds too much like some other players that have had up and down careers. He may be really good at some point, but he won't be able to sustain that. What strikes me as strange is that Zorn would even dignify the question of starting DT on kickoffs to "get his motor going". The amount of DT stuff that has been put out there in the public sounds like foreshadowing of a bigger personnel move. The team has soured on the guy and he's either going to get cut or traded.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 13, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

glawrence007,

You got it! I just want to avoid that 'hype before you go out is better than when you go out' syndrome you know. From where I sit 4:15pm seems eons away.

Posted by: Vicc | September 13, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse