Zorn Says Blache 'Really Needed a Break'

In an unusual move for NFL coordinators, defensive coordinator Greg Blache has informed team officials he will no longer speak with the media this season, a Redskins spokesman said.

Blache did not reveal his decision, give a reason for the change or take questions during his regularly scheduled session with reporters before practice at Redskins Park. After Blache gave his assessment of the team's performance on defense in the 16-13 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, he briefly commented on the offensive strengths of this week's opponent, the Carolina Panthers, and then turned things over to secondary coach Jerry Gray.

NFL rules mandate that teams make coordinators available to the media at least once a week. The Redskins received permission from the league to have Gray, who has served as a coordinator in his career, take over for Blache -- who has declined to grant interviews in the past -- although Gray currently is not a coordinator.

"Coach [Jim] Zorn explained the situation and we granted approval," Greg Aiello, the NFL's senior vice president of public relations, wrote in an email. "Jerry Gray will speak to the media about the defense."

Blache is expected to make a statement each week but not take questions; Gray is expected to then finish the session.

After practice, Zorn cited "personal reasons" for Blache's decision. Blache still plans to perform all his other duties.

"For Greg, he's really needed a break," Zorn said. "And so, from his standpoint, we talked about it. It's something that is important and he's doing it for the right reasons.

"But it is a needed break for him, and so that's why I've allowed it. And I haven't just allowed it, we've really gotten it OK'd through the league, because we know what the ramifications are of him not talking. But I will tell you this: Jerry Gray will do an excellent job speaking the same language that Greg did."

But when asked whether he would handle questions about the defense for the remainder of the season, Gray said, "Ah, who knows? We'll see."

The change in policy occurred a day after the Redskins introduced new offensive consultant Sherman Lewis. Blache's decision stirred speculation that Lewis's arrival might have played a part in Gray assuming more responsibility. And the timing seemed odd since Blache last Thursday shouldered much of the blame for the defense's undisciplined, often ineffective performance in a 19-14 loss to the lowly Detroit Lions.

"Quite candidly, in 2009, things go bad, somebody's got to go under the bus," Blache told the media last week. "Being the leader of this defense, I should be under the bus, and I'll dive under. If somebody won't throw me, I'll dive under. Because going under the bus, you hurt your feelings a little bit. ... I can deal with the hurt and stuff, and we'll go on and play."

A week later, Blache did not even say he would no longer participate in interviews, leaving Zorn to speak on his behalf and answer questions. Shouldn't Blache have explained his decision, Zorn was asked?

"Well, yeah," Zorn said, "but then he would have had to answer a bunch of questions."

The Injury Report

Defensive tackle Anthony Montgomery (knee) and punter Hunter Smith (groin) did not participate in practice. Left tackle Chris Samuels (knee) and defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin (elbow) were limited.

By Jason Reid  |  October 8, 2009; 5:53 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kelly Reveals Thumb Injury
Next: What Will Lewis Say about Portis?

Comments

I wouldn't want to talk to the media, and answer all the stupid "conspiracy " questions either. Let the guy concentrate on coaching.

Posted by: VegasJim | October 8, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Freaking Bizzare!!! This team is so dumb...I hate us!

HTTR

Posted by: ocskins | October 8, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Bah, whatever. We need a win bad.

Posted by: will_ga | October 8, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

VegasJim, that's EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Posted by: trolly_time | October 8, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

What a complete zoo this team has become. The Redskins define "dysfunctional." I'm disgusted.

Posted by: keithward64 | October 8, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Good heavens. Is anyone else bothered by this? This team really needs all new leadership. We now have a coach that has a "consultant" peering over his shoulder, a guy who happens to be a former West-coast offense playcaller (I think), and now we have a defensive coordinator who "needs a break" 5 weeks into the season. Couple that with all of the junk that The Danny and his lackey Vinny sling on a weekly basis, and you have chaos. Yikes. This franchise isn't exactly a model of professionalism and stability like it used to be in the good 'ole days, is it?

Posted by: skinsfan713 | October 8, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

I'd bet money (if I bet money, which I don't) that VegasJim has it nailed.

Blache is friends with Lewis, and doesn't want to answer a bunch of questions about the possible implications of Lewis' presence.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 8, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I think its retarded that the league requires coaches to speak to the media in the first place. It should be up to the coach. If it were me and I was REQUIRED to talk to the media, I'd just stand at the podium and just say puerta puerta puerta.

Posted by: clark202 | October 8, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Pardon me while I try to find empathy for a coach who received the bulk of upgrade attention on his side of the ball. If it is so tiring coaching supposed "stars", then perhaps it is time to retire.

I'm sick of excuses for underwhelming performance. The answer is not talking to the media - the answer is holding players' butts to the fire and to get them to perform. Unfortunately there is no reality to the threat of "my way or the highway" with today's Redskins - none of them are afraid of being released - and that's due to the huge checks that Little Napoleon Snyder has given them for looking pretty on someone else's stat sheet.

Posted by: laserwizard | October 8, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

This is odd. Not sure what to make of it, I don't want to assume anything.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 8, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: keithward64 |

It seems as though coach hurt your feelings because he doesn't want to talk to the media for the rest of the season. To ease your disgust, feel free to listen to the weekly interview of OC Sherman Smith. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Posted by: dcwun | October 8, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

The most interesting part of this is Gray's "Who knows? We'll see" comment.

This, along with the arrival of the "consultant" are sure signals Zorn's on the way out the door.

If the Redskins offense doesn't score touchdowns in a Skins victory this weekend, IMO Zorn and Sherman Smith are gone by Monday morning. Sherm Lewis will take over as OC, and Blache will take over as interim HC.

Zorn's done unless he pulls off a miracle and wins a bunch of games in a row. Unfortunately with the roster Vinny's given him, that may be impossible.

Posted by: CJMARTIN04 | October 8, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

I also will no longer address the media on conspiracy issues because of the media conspiracy against me.

Posted by: TheCork | October 8, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Vegas, I agree...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 8, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

CLARK202 I couldn't agree more as a huge baseball fan i hate it when Fox or whoever is broadcasting the game feels the need to talk to the manager, DURING THE GAME!! what da hell! leave him alone he's got better things to do,i don't blame Blache at all, screw the media and t

Posted by: dargregmag | October 8, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag | October 8, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes I hate loving this team...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 8, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Conspiracy questions? The guy knows he is going to be asked to be interim coach of this team by the owner. He has way too much class to allow the media to drag him into commenting on Snidely's whims or his downward spiral. Blache is doing the right thing.

Posted by: periculum | October 8, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

(raising eyebrow and extending pinky to mouth, Dr Evil style)

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 8, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

"For Greg, he's really needed a break," Zorn said.

After only 4 games?

It's going to be a very long season..

Posted by: DesiHungama | October 8, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

So if Zman gets canned and Blanche takes over on an interim basis does he answer questions then?

Posted by: az_david | October 8, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Man, I hope this isn't too unfair but Blache, to me, is too emotionally unstable for this type of public, high stress job.

Speaking solely of him professionally and not personally.

Posted by: SteveMG | October 8, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins have had offensive problems for 5 years or more.

Joe Gibbs couldn't score points.

Jim Zorn can't put points on the board.

Joe Gibbs is not known for his personnel savvy.

Joe Gibbs played Mark Brunnel even when he was hurt.

Mark Brunell would not have been a starter on any other NFL team.

Joe Gibbs amassed and overpaid for character guys rather than talent.

We started James Thrash, Antwaan Randel-El and Santana Moss.

Joe Gibbs turned Portis into a power back at 5'9 200 LBS

Joe Gibbs and Dan Snyder coddled Portis

Joe Gibbs gave away draft picks like water.

Snyder hired Jim Zorn by accident.

Jason Campbell can only succeed as a dropback passer with a steady O-line and an eternity to throw.

Jason Campbell locks in on receivers

Jason Campbell is slow to make decisions.

Our offensive line is average

Because we don't have a viable GM, we have players on the offensive side of the ball that should not be on this team.

We don't know if Thomas, Davis and Kelly are busts because they are never in the game long enough.

What if we put Kelly, Thomas, Moss and Mitchell on the field?

With no offensive production, why not a consultant?

The Redskins will win with a better O-line, a speed back, and consistency at the WR posiiton.

The Redskins will not win with JC at QB.

The Redskins will not win with Snyder's method of building this team.

I fault Zorn for misuse of his personnel on offense.

I blame Snyder for Portis' stranglehold on this team.

Fans are just as impatient as the owner.

Whew...I got it all out!

Posted by: rickyroge | October 8, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Come on Ricky that's all?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 8, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Two possibilities:

1) Blache suddenly developed a hearing problem, so fielding questions from a news conference would be difficult and potentially embarrassing. (Or he's had it, and it's stressful, and he needs a break from it.)

2) Blache is ticked off because Lewis got more money to come out of retirement than he did. Needs a break from stewing about it. Afraid he might go off at the mouth.

Posted by: Xlnt | October 8, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Blache's decision stirred speculation that Lewis's arrival might have played a part in Gray assuming more responsibility. And the timing seemed odd since Blache last Thursday shouldered much of the blame for the defense's undisciplined, often ineffective performance...

Conspiracy theorists should probably focus on all moves pointing to Blache as coach.

I wonder if Blache doesn't want to answer that question... "Have you been promised the interim coaching position if Zorn is fired? Did you have any input on Lewis' hiring?"

Or better yet, "Even after Lewis being out of football for years, could he still call the plays?" or some other similar ambush.

Posted by: WorstSeat | October 8, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

the Vinny (&Danny) Comedy Hour, season 11(?10) rolls on. Could they at least have vetted, briefed, (coached up?) the new Sherm on his first presser? I mean just have the guy say he watches NFL Ticket avidly every Sunday and he's still 'in the game'. Calling BINGO? wtf. we're a national sport's laughing stock as usual.
Blache not talking? smart man.

Posted by: theFlatman | October 8, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm worried about Blache. All this might be too much for him. Maybe he should retire and take over Sherm Lewis' bingo gig. Get somebody in there who can handle talking to the media (and maybe find a way to pressure rookie qb's).

Posted by: coparker5 | October 8, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Whew...I got it all out!

Posted by: rickyroge | October 8, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

---

Hmmm. Looks like you've had a peek at the "Day One Report" from Sherman Lewis to Big Dan.

The only things you neglected to add were the recommendations:

1. Fire Zorn
2. Bench Campbell
3. Trade Portis
4. Fire Vinny
5. Hire a GM

Posted by: Vic1 | October 8, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Just go's to show you these coaches need to be replaced sooner than later. Can't even talk to the press? It's time to hang it up!

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | October 8, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

my positive spin....

at .500 so far, it's better than the sorry Wizards could ever achieve.

JC is not Jamarcus Russell.

the cheerleaders this year are HOT!

We know what the problems are, the leader of the team, JC, told us it's the players. That's the first step in fixing things.

Did I mention the cheerleaders are hot?

no allegations of dogfighting... or WR's beating down their RB teammate.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | October 8, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

LongTime - I don't see why it matters if Blache talks to the press. I guess I'm just stuck on hiring a geriatric consultant. such a typical loser move Danny: you hired the D coordinator before you accidentally hired the head coach. take resposibility as the owner and fire the man -like a man. or let it play out.

Posted by: theFlatman | October 8, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Blache should go Rasheed Wallace and just say "Both teams will play/played hard".

Posted by: richie_sheppard | October 8, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

I Guess This Team Is Capable of Some Form of Entertainment!

The Plot Thickens?

Posted by: Spanglerg | October 8, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

“I judge them all the time--I’m a big critic,” Zorn said. “Malcolm has been working on a lot of things, being explosive and getting in and out of breaks. We haven’t been able to get him the ball nearly as much as we’d like.

“Devin has been a bright spot even though he doesn’t have a lot of catches. He is coming on in practice and giving greater effort. He is doing things that will earn him the right to get on the field.”

___________________________________________

I wish we could just get Zorn to tell us how he really feels a la Singletary or something. This happy, happy feel good crap drives me nuts. Why doesn't he just say these guys are sucking and if they don't pull their heads out of their a$$es they're going to be riding some pine?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 8, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm numb....just flat out numb....

Posted by: jjakubek | October 8, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

From PFT.com

In the latest bizarre twist in a series of bizarre twists involving the Washington Redskins, defensive coordinator Greg Blache will no longer be speaking to the media.

Instead, secondary coach Jerry Gray will handle that function.

Coach Jim Zorn was the one explained the situation to the media.

"For Greg, he's really needed a break," Zorn said, per the Washington Times. "From his standpoint, we talked about it and I actually talked to the league about a break for him and they've agreed. I would put it as personal reasons. It is a needed break for him. That's why I've allowed it."

The NFL reportedly has agreed to the move.

So what's really going on here?

Here's our theory/hypothesis/semi-educated guess.

Unless the Redskins beat the Panthers, trounce the Chiefs, and play a respectable game on Monday, October 26 against the Eagles, Jim Zorn gets fired on Tuesday, October 27.

Next, Greg Blache is installed as the interim head coach.

Next, Sherm Lewis takes over the offense.

Promptly upon the conclusion of the season (if not sooner), the process of hiring the permanent head coach commences in earnest, with Blache and/or Lewis being interviewed before Mike Shanahan or Mike Holmgren or anyone else on the short list, in order to ensure full compliance with the Rooney Rule.

Then, Shanahan gets the job. Unless owner Daniel Snyder changes his mind and goes with Holmgren.

Though the notion that Blache won't be talking to the media doesn't completely mesh with the possibility that he'll be the interim head coach, there's a chance that Blache knows what's going on, and that he's not comfortable with the idea of taking questions on the topic and then trying to answer with something other than the truth.

But the official story is legit -- if Blache is backing off from one of his goes-with-the-territory job duties for "personal reasons" -- then he should back off from the rest of his job for "personal reasons" and resign.

Posted by: i155133 | October 8, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

There is zero chance Blache takes the interim hc job. Not his MO and he's just playing out the string--he wanted to retire before being made coordinator.

Gray taking over the press duties means that he is the one who is being considered to interim hc, IMO.

You can't trade Portis--the cap hit is huge, no one would take his salary, and even if he was paid according to his worth, he'd garner a sixth round pick. 29 year old backs with lots of mileage, diminishing effectiveness, and can hardly practice--who wants that.

The season is lost so why bench Campbell for an immobile Collins? Maybe Campbell will get better--Collins won't.

Fire Zorn? It's not his fault.

Fire Vinnie--well I think he's partly to blame, but the insinuations from insiders seems to be that the Danny knows that the biggest personnel errors are the ones he pushes against Vinnie's advice. We'll never really know.

The one key is Snyder needs to fire himself as having anything to do with football operations.

When people say he cares about winning as much as anyone, that's a lie. As he proved in the Marty era, he'd rather be mediocre and in control than sit on the sidelines and have success.

Posted by: MarquisSmith | October 8, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

scamp, I agree...Tomlin challenged Mendenhall all last week...how'd that turn out?

That said, I am not sure this would work foe corny zorny...

And the reason the major pro sports teams are so accessible (and yes the in game baseball manager interviews are ridiculous) are b/c they build fan base and make money.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 8, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

"Perhaps Jerry Gray will assume question answering duty because he's preparing to be the skins' next head coach?"

Defensive coordinator, yes.

Head coach, no.

We don't need some 30-40 year old guy who was editing tape in a darkroom 3 years ago and gets promoted to head coach in the mold of Eric Mangini.

If there is to be a new head coach, let's hope the FO slips up and hires and a Man.

By Man, I mean the kind of dude that when he speaks, the whole room shuts the F up.

I hope they hire someone in the mold of a Rex Ryan who damn sure isn't medium, and shows up with beef and fire to spit.

I'd like to see a guy who'd clock a mouthy assistant as a sign that hey, this thing we do matters, azzhole.

I don't want some guy grateful for the once in a lifetime chance to be the Stooge playing opposite Mo and Curley.

After all, we got a guy like that already.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 8, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

its a wonder we have any coaches at all consider all the BS they have to put up with. Everyone seems to have an opinion, listening to talk shows and fans in the stands you would think everyone is a coach, but they are nothing more than talking heads.

Posted by: pquick6165 | October 8, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pquick6165 | October 8, 2009 9:10 PM

Maybe we should try it for a season with no coaches. Just let everyone do their own thing and see what happens.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 8, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pennstate1 | October 8, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pquick6165 | October 8, 2009 9:10 PM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 8, 2009 9:13 PM
===================

I have a better idea and I bet Danny would really like it because it'd make him some money.

Just let us fans call each play. People will pony up a small sum, $50 - 100, and get the chance to call one play.

Everything is done in real-time and payments are made to somesort of PayPal account.

So each game around 150 or so people will get to call a play, either on defense, offense, or special teams depending on their place in the "play-calling line" as to how it relates to the Redskins at the current time.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 8, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

zorn maybe thrown out of the door soon. blache will take over as head-coach for the rest of the season and s.smith will become offensive coordinator. zorn has NOT been able to get any production from the 3 top draft picks of last year, other young receivers in the league are making their mark but not on this team. they only throw passes to 3 player's moss, cooley and randle-el. if you listen to zorn and some of the receivers they all say the same thing,you must wait and be patient" scoring 3 and 4 field goals a game..make the move.

Posted by: wathu19 | October 8, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

meant to say sherm lewis will become offensive coordinator..sherm smith will probably be fired along with zorn.

Posted by: wathu19 | October 8, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Hey Greg,

Stop talking about being put under the bus. In a couple of weeks you will need to make sure you get on the bus with a free one way ticket out of town with your buddy ZORN THE MORON!

Posted by: mike1ad | October 8, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

The climate at Redskins park must be sticky and humid and just strange. How the hell are the players supposed to be focused with all this nonsense? Dysfunctional is the appropriate word for the state of the organization. The morale must be at an all-time low.

You can put this year in the can. It's FUBAR. So sad....

Posted by: all_star_0013 | October 8, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

THIS TEAM IS TOE UP FROM THE FLOE UP!!!!! I mean seriously. What a bunch of illiterate inbred dumbasses. They're too funny! This isn't a pro football team. This a comedy. "The Office Goes NFL".

Posted by: BenThere | October 8, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I think Danny ought to pull Vinny's pants down and give him a spanking in front of the whole team... Then, I think Vinny should pull Zorn's pants down and give him a spanking in front of the whole team... Then, I think Zorn ought to pull Portis' pants down and give him a spanking in front of the whole team... Then, I think Portis ought to pull D Thomas' pants down and give him a spanking in front of the whole team... Then, I think Fletcher should pull L Landry's pants down and give hime a spanking in front of the whole team... Then, I think Buges should pull F Davis' pants down and give him a spanking in front of the whole team...

Posted by: all_star_0013 | October 8, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

All Star,

I agree with you.... this game is either a horrible or the ugliest game yet, or it will be the breakout game b/c this team can't wait to get out of this junk in Ashburn to a place they won't have to answer questions and thats on the field.

You have to give it to Greg,... it has deflected the Lewis and JC#17 talk for a day!

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 8, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

"The Office" Cast...........
Michael - played by Dan Snyder
Dwight - played by Vinny
Jim - played by Jim Zorn
Stanley - played by Coach Blatche
Kevin - played by Joe Bugel

Posted by: BenThere | October 8, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

allstar, that is an unnatural preoccupation with pulling men's pants down and putting things in the can.

Posted by: daggar | October 8, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

yikes all_star don't drag us all down into your weird fantasies!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 8, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: daggar

Strictly sarcasm, not funny bones here. I'm as straight as a gate...

Posted by: all_star_0013 | October 8, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

they say that the eyes are windows to the soul, but blog comments are a close second.

Posted by: daggar | October 8, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: daggar

Really? I've heard there is a correlation between being really homophobic and supressed homo desires. You just might fit the profile...

Posted by: all_star_0013 | October 8, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

ODD - VERY ODD. This front office has become a punchline for the National media. Can't Snyder understand that he's a joke? He supposedly LOVES the Redskins, but can't help screwing them up. He needs to go back to just being a Season Ticket holder in the cheap seats. Of course, then, he would run the risk of being sued...

IF he would just relax, hire a GM, and butt out, we could be a great team again.

VINNY MUST GO.

VINNY failed in San Diego. VINNY has failed here. VINNY MUST GO.

Hire Trent Dilfer as GM - he's the smartest, most enlightened, deliberate analyst I've heard in a VERY long time.

Hire Trent Dilfer -- let him do his job, and watch us soar back to the top of the NFL.

Sherm - "B4" - BINGO!!!!

PUUUUUUUUUHLEEEEEZE

Posted by: dah1963 | October 8, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

VINNY MUST GO.

VINNY failed in San Diego. VINNY has failed here. VINNY MUST GO.

Sherm - "B4" - BINGO!!!!

PUUUUUUUUUHLEEEEEZE

Posted by: dah1963 | October 8, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't want to talk to the media either, it's a circus. Blanche might slip and say what he really thinks. Consultant... right... all of us fans are serving a sentence. The coaches that are there know what the problems are - can't blow anyone off the line and QB is not suited for this O in current condition.

Posted by: outsourced_in_va | October 8, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

The the Redskins just posted this on their FB page:

" Washington Redskins Join the Redskins Season Ticket Waitlist and Enter to WIN one of 25 FREE pair of premium tickets to see the Redskins vs. Kansas City. Click on the Promotions tab on the Redskins Fan Page to enter to win FREE Premium Tickets! It’s FREE to Join the Waitlist."

Why are they pimping this decades long waitlist?

Its obvious they are getting nervous about the fanbase.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 8, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I can empathize with Blache. I have the exact opposite problem. The media refuse to talk to ME.

And I'm ready to talk!

Posted by: farstriker | October 8, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm all man, baby, although I would date any of the Washington Mystics.

Posted by: daggar | October 8, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Anyhow I think they should (have) stuck with the current coaches, you have to draw a line somewhere but I see this as undermining and what the H... is Sherm L going to point out - all the sudden someones going to come in and find out what's wrong. H... all you have to do is read this blog, it would be alot cheaper.

Posted by: outsourced_in_va | October 8, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Maybe all the blog contributors should be getting paid ---- hey sounds like a good publicity suggestion. Danny boy lets the voice of the fan run the team and drop them a couple of bucks for a suggestion that is implemented.

Posted by: outsourced_in_va | October 8, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey, pennstate1 shoulda gotten some love for this classic post:

Posted by: pennstate1 | October 8, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: farstriker | October 8, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: outsourced_in_va | October 8, 2009 10:25 PM |

Workin' for Green Bay better 'n our system.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 8, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

It must be nice to not have to answer for the work you do...wouldn't all of us with real world jobs not have to talk about the job that we do to our boss! What a joke! This is just another example of how our coaches can't put our players in the best situations to be successful!!! I think Blache should retire and go away..you are out of touch with the NFL today and should really sit back and think that if you can't talk with the media maybe you shouldn't be coaching......just a thought!!! I always heard if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen...this sounds like a prime example of that.......Blache, let me give you a piece of advice...step up to the plate and answer questions, it's the least you could do.....us fans deserve answers!!!!!!!!

Posted by: jcrabbe1 | October 8, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm still baffled by the thought that, with the team's performance over the last dozen games, it's the hiring of the guy from the soup kitchen that's filled with portent.
I don't think we have any special great talent, but other teams are showing more effective competence with less talent. I don't know that a coaching change is the fix, but if I see another performance like the past dozen, I'd be willing to roll the dice.

Posted by: daggar | October 8, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: daggar | October 8, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jcrabbe1 | October 8, 2009 10:34 PM |

I own my own company and I would love to refuse to talk to myself. I think i'll give it a shot.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 8, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Watching this UFL thing. I haven't formed an opinion as of yet. Anyone else?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 8, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

just flipped over to it.
Those are some ugly uniforms.
The halftime show featured some poor schlub olineman rearranging his junk in HD.
I didn't understand a word either the O-coordinator or Fassel was saying, other than 'play-action'.

Posted by: daggar | October 8, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Horrible uniforms, reminds me of Arena League.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 8, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

good for you Blache, screw the me - me - me - media

There are going to form their own unsubstantiated opinions anyway.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 8, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

just flipped over to it.
Those are some ugly uniforms.

Posted by: daggar | October 8, 2009 10:49 PM |

Maybe the olineman was responding to the coordinators statement that they needed more "waggle."

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 8, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Some Sherm Lewis comments as he walks around the practice field:

-Malcolm, stop trying to catch with your elbows!

-Clinton, uh.. where's Clinton? He doesn't practice???

-Jason, it's 1-2-3 throw, not 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14 and get sacked!

-Stephon, have you tried tripping the defender to stop him from creaming your quarterback? There's no way you're going to block him...

-BINGO! I have a BINGO over here! Oh, sorry. Must be flashbacks.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 8, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

maybe sherm L will say, "mr. snyder I think you would be OK if you get some good young O-lineman in here" and maybe Danny would say, "we'll give it a try this off season"

why not?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 8, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Just saw Derrick Forst punting for the California Redwoods in the UFL. I chuckled.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 8, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

The Worst Quarterback to Ever Play the Game is a commentator. That's right folks, Kordell Stewart has managed to get another job. Who says God doesn't have a sense of humor.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 8, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

No to Romo. Yes to Marko!!

...polish sausage...Ditka

Posted by: RomoLongballs | October 8, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Insane Asylum

Posted by: nativedc | October 8, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

VINNY MUST GO.

VINNY failed in San Diego. VINNY has failed here. VINNY MUST GO.

Sherm - "B4" - BINGO!!!!

PUUUUUUUUUHLEEEEEZE

Posted by: dah1963 | October 8, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

If you are going to call someone a failure at least get the facts right. Vinny did not fail in San Diego. In fact I don't think he ever was in San Diego. He had a role in SF, including during some of the better season.
As for Dilfer another team once hired the smartest most enlightened and deliberate analyst as their GM. His name was Matt Millen.

Posted by: lifelongfan | October 8, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Why does anyone care if Blache doesn't want to talk to the media? Art Monk never talked to them either, worked out ok for him. Probably a good move, since the defense needs some work.....

Posted by: Jason10 | October 8, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Whew...I got it all out!

Posted by: rickyroge | October 8, 2009 7:49 PM

Why, rickyroge. Why do you hurt me? Heh,heh, pretty solid list, though. You know, I was reading about Brunell and remembered how I was pulling out my hair every Sunday and screaming at television Gibbs to pull him. I know how you feel, JC haters/everyone.

I know how you feel.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | October 8, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Dear Rickyroge,

Why do you bother? Are you sure you're not a Dallas fan?

Seems you've already given up on your team. Why not find another one and leave the comments to real fans?

Carolina is right down the road and their stadium has plenty of seats available.

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 8, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

PS - Who the F cares if Bread Glatch talks to the media?

Bunch of crybaby nerds! No wonder our team sucks, representing a bunch of panzy crybaby poosies.

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 8, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

I like Greg Blache. I read this whole scenario as his being upset with the hiring of Sherm Lewis as a "consultant," even though the consulting is on the other side of the ball. It eventually be on his side if the head coach goes down. I see nothing but more trouble ahead for the team and coaching staff. And, regrettably, I bet the team stinks up the joints over the next three weeks and Coach Zorn, a far better man than the morons who hired him, will be gone at the bye week.

Posted by: royhobbs56 | October 8, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 8, 2009 11:23 PM |

Another it's the fans fault d-bag crying about the crying. Pot meet kettle.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 8, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Hey just because sherm lewis is 60+ doesn't mean he can't coach or help. He is viewed as a great football mind and b4 there were black HCs in the league he was mentioned as a guy who was HC material if he wasn't blk. the d is not the problem. so lay off greg! at least he manned up and motivated his side of the ball to step up the effort. jz not jc is in over his head jc is as gd or betta than tony romo he needs a betta qb coach and off.coord--Peace out HAIL FIRE ZORN or take all his play calling powers away. HC in name only Sherm Lewis OC and Greg B DC. Blache will retire after this season and jerry gray will replace him.

Posted by: Skins21-4everSmashmouth | October 8, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

I think Blache's boycott of the media has everything to do with the never ending negativity coming from those that cover the team, which has peaked in the past 2 weeks and is at a boiling point now with the Smith hiring. They just never let up (neither do a lot of the fans)

Just my 2 cents.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 9, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Good 2 cents Barno1, I was First and Last!! but who cares

Posted by: VegasJim | October 9, 2009 1:05 AM | Report abuse

"Dan Snyder and Mark Shapiro are proven winners. Paula and I look forward to many mutual successes.”

-Tom Cruise, 2006

----------

Expect the wildly overrated Redskins and the couch-jumping lunatic to tank this autumn and beyond. Snyder’s bankrolling of Cruise merely attests to the exec’s propensity for pouring hundreds of millions of dollars into losers.

-sportstruth.com

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 9, 2009 1:14 AM | Report abuse

Cruise/Daniel Snyder connection REVEALED

While the rest of Hollywood scratches its head at the recent news that Tom Cruise and Paula Wagner's production company has found financial backing from the owner of the Six Flags theme parks, we believe we've found a connection between ol' Maverick and his new sugar daddy Daniel Snyder: Scientology's Super Power program.

According to an article in the St. Petersburg Times (found via metafilter), dedicated Scientologists can enhance their perceptions of rhythm, moisture, and something called Tasten Colorn Depth via their Super Power program:

Super Power uses machines, apparatus and specially designed rooms to exercise and enhance a person's so-called perceptics. Those machines include an antigravity simulator and a gyroscope-like apparatus that spins a person around while blindfolded to improve perception of compass direction, said the former Scientologists.

Both Dan Snyder and Tom Cruise are said to be dedicated practitioners of the Super Power Program.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 9, 2009 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Sources close to the scene at Ford Field in Detroit say that Tom Cruise once again had the ear of Redskins owner Dan Snyder.

People at the scene overheard a conversation between the two men centered around Scientology, specifically “the method of spiritual rehabilitation, or type of counseling known as auditing, in which practitioners aim to consciously re-experience painful or traumatic events in their past, in order to free themselves of their limiting effects.”

www.opensports.com

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 9, 2009 1:36 AM | Report abuse

There is a reason behind the madness in Ashburn.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 9, 2009 1:38 AM | Report abuse

And leave it to Scampbell1975 to cry about my crying about the crying...

Pot calling the kettle the pot, back to the kettle, which is just the same old pot, anyway.

Like I said, "Crybabies."

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 9, 2009 1:41 AM | Report abuse

People who say that Dan Snyder is Jewish and Vinny Cerrato is Catholic are missing the point:

They are both scientologists.

Scaaaaaaaaaaaary.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 9, 2009 1:41 AM | Report abuse

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

by Thinker

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 9, 2009 1:42 AM | Report abuse

Thinker is a Danbot

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 9, 2009 1:44 AM | Report abuse

Barno is a lunatic.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 9, 2009 1:45 AM | Report abuse

TCCLs anyone?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 9, 2009 1:47 AM | Report abuse

Oh, almost forgot - fire the owner.

And don't forget to denigrate every player for not being Theismann (who was labeled "erratic" in his day), Monk, Clark, and Riggins (didn't matter if he was drunk, high, whatever, as long as he fell forward behind the best line in the game).

Don't forget, Gibbs was "Too Predictable" for his whole first Term which included a Super Bowl trip every 3 years, winning 3 out of 4.

Same Old Same Old. Complaining is fun. Plus, it seems to dampen the disappointment of losing. Our Schedule SUCKS. Who wants to play winless teams EVERY week.

It's a no-win situation.

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 9, 2009 1:50 AM | Report abuse

Fine,

I got 2 dollars on the Skins this weekend!

Put up or ...

I GOT MY MONEY WHERE MY MOUTH IS, CHIA_BLOWER!

You in or whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 9, 2009 1:52 AM | Report abuse

Daniel Snyder is the owner of, among other things, the Washington Redskins. And since smut and sports don't necessarily mix well, the Washington Redskins play in the NFL, the most financially successful team in America's most finally successful league. It took Daniel Snyder less than a decade to build his football empire, impressive because the Redskins now rank as the 2nd most valuable franchise in the WORLD - THE WORLD - more valuable than the Yankees, 2nd only to the illustrious Manchester United, a franchise with what's arguably a much wider reach and a much, much, much larger international audience.

In short - Daniel Snyder ain't no chump. And he's certainly not a chump willing to attach himself to suckage. Having said that, the deal's ramifications go way beyond trying to restore the GMD's Hollywood status. Note also that Daniel himself or more specifically Daniel's millions, possibly billions, would not have gone unnoticed by the Church, and if he isn't a scientologist already, I've no doubt they have designs to turn him into one…which only means this so-called 'downsize' is far from it. In fact, some might say it's a veritable coup on both a professional level and a personal one as well.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 9, 2009 1:53 AM | Report abuse

I'll set up a PayPal account and post the link here. Put your two dollars in, if the Pantards win, I'll probably find some way of giving you your two dollars back...

Or whatever, no big deal right? I mean, it's only 2 stinkin' dollars!

(PS - I am not in Nigeria)

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 9, 2009 1:55 AM | Report abuse

Go Skins!

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 9, 2009 1:57 AM | Report abuse

(2 figurative dollars, of course)

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 9, 2009 2:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 |

Not sure the difference would be that noticeable.

Posted by: TheCork | October 9, 2009 2:02 AM | Report abuse

testing 1 2 3

Posted by: jenksredskins | October 9, 2009 2:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 9, 2009 1:24 AM | Report abuse

www.opensports.com

Posted by: Chia_Pet |

I despite cults and that includes the Thetans, This is a poorly sourced and serious accusation you make chia.

I suggest you get some facts, or back off.

"said to be dedicated" and "people at the scene" Quptes like that are not journalism, dude.

Posted by: TheCork | October 9, 2009 2:15 AM | Report abuse

I am still in Snyder's corner, although he reallly dissed JC. Not for the trade rumors, as that may have been to confuse other teams. I am speaking of the failure of the team to atleast bring in real OL help via FA or trades (yes including draft choice(s). By this being a contract year, maybe he did set JC up to fail by not doing the aforementioned. He also doesn't realize that Vinny and the scouts have no eye for talent/depth(for possible injuries). In saying this, I like the move to sign Sherman Lewis and am really tired of the conspiracy questions directed at him by the wack media. If anything his hiring is not a threat to Zorn because of his hiatus from the game. So shut up and let's see if it works out for better play calling/reciever separation etc. Hopefully some of you will be asked if you want fries with your crow. HAIL SKINS!

Posted by: jenksredskins | October 9, 2009 2:40 AM | Report abuse

Oh, almost forgot - fire the owner.

It's a no-win situation.

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 9, 2009 1:50 AM | Report abuse

Great Post

Posted by: Barno1 | October 9, 2009 3:31 AM | Report abuse

We are doomed! Snyder and Cerrato have, are and will run this team into the ground for as long as Snyder owns this team.
What I think they are doing is preparing to fire Zorn after Sherman has a grip of this team and replace him. They won't have to change the offense because the west coast is already established. That makes it a smooth transition when the moment is right. Probably after a another big loss.
Snyder is young and will own this team for decades. Like I said, WE ARE DOOMED!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | October 9, 2009 5:27 AM | Report abuse

I'm actually in Barno's camp on this one. The negative questions are prob getting tiresome and affecting his health.

While Snyder/Vinny/Players/Redskins can get bashed, Beat Reporters and those who follow this team that question can't stand the heat themselves when peeps like us question their real priorities. They don't have to respond to the negative criticisim that is being said of them. Because over the last few years, the media has interjected themselves into the story by trying to create something that isn't there. Which is driven by the economy and greed and wanting to be first.

It is what it is. We are who we thought we were.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 9, 2009 5:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 9, 2009 5:53 AM | Report abuse

I don't know what to make of this. Have a bad feeling about the game Sunday. WHich is why we actually have a chance- I've been wrong on just about every prediction this year. Have faith Skins Nation. The 21st century is young (sadly so is Snyder), we'll get it rigth eventually.

HTTR

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 9, 2009 6:35 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, we needed a break too from hearing how good every team in the NFL is, especially after the Skins lose to the team. All Blache could say is, I told you they were good. Good...don't talk to the media tired of hearing it...blah, blah, blah.

Posted by: hbu_dog | October 9, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

"It is what it is. We are who we thought we were."

4th, you mean they are 16-0

man if the media just backed off this team could really fly......

Posted by: chrislarry | October 9, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

You guys kill me on these threads.

Let me make sure that I'm understanding this correctly...1) You have an owner willing to spend whatever to make the team win ball games. 2) You have an owner who can sell ice to eskimos, and even got the legendary Joe Gibbs out of retirement so well, that Gibbs had to relequish his interest in the Atlanta Falcons. 3) You had a rookie coach go 8-8 in his very first year. At any other place, he would have been considered special. So now he's 10-10 in his first games, and there are calls for his firing? 4) You have newspapers here that continue to say that the Redskins keep paying high money for free agents every year? What team doesn't go after free agents every year, and secondly, when was the last time since Haynesworth did the Redskins fire up Redskins One on the FA recruitment trail? Honestly?! 5) You have a team that is 2-2 while only averaging 13 or 14 pts per game. And they have time to make that better as there are still 12 whole games left.

Will you people please learn to be a little more patient? Gibbs, Marty S, all went 8-8 in their first year. Let's let this thing ride out.

Posted by: Tymmel44 | October 9, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Win a dam game all this ridiculous over hyped media coverage about this team is nothing but bull.

The team needs to win and then all this soap opera bull goes away.Who cares if Blatche speaks or not?
I don't know why this team was expected to do anything special this year anyway so they are playing just as they have over the last 5 years , mediocre.

Posted by: TheBeatDontStop | October 9, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Greg blache is one interview away from going off and saying that he is sick and tired of this &&^&%$$#$$&*()_)_*&^^%$%$%^^&&& and this sorry a%$ offense ^R$^^%$$#$^^&&*(*&^@@##$$))((*&^433 If they don't get their sh^% together I going to &%^&((&^%^%)()*^%%**&^%^ and *^%^*(I(&^%%&((^%%^ any more questions? I didn't think so=========================================== and one last thing %%#$#**((&&^%%$^&*()% the media and%$$%#$&(%$#@$and that lousy %%$%^&%%$$%^^$^**(()play calling and the next person who ask a dumb ass question, I'll take the microphone and stick it up your&^%&^&%%^^&^*^^%%$%^%$%HTTR.

Posted by: pennstate1 | October 9, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Good post TymmeI44! Can't stand most.

Too many seem to come from negative losers telling us the owner, the FO, the coaches and the players are all losers. Yeah, they're going to convince me.

The only thing the Mayor does right is -- timely updates. His negative slant on everything Skins has convinced me that he needs to be impeached. He's a SoCal guy who knows NOTHING about being a Skins fan. For crying out loud, he learned to write about our team from the bigbasher himself, JLC! In other words he actually thinks fans want to have everything about the team bashed.

Going negative on Blache is RI-Hatemasters at their "best." Blache was upfront from the get-go with the mike-in-your-mouth-morons and scrounge-up-a-negative-story-scribes. He told them that having to deal with them was the worst part of his job, and it proved to be.

I could never imagine Blache being anything but honest. I'll miss his interviews. He was spot-on and funny.

Posted by: rmblocher | October 9, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Back up QB in the NFL is the ultimate win-win.

You still get paid well.
Team will only go to you if starter is hurt or playing terrible.
If you step in and play well for 4 games you will be a hero to some(Todd Collins).
If you play badly, what's the difference? It's the reason you were a backup in the 1st place.

And when the backup QB (Collins) gets sacked 3 times and throws 2 TDs to the OTHER team in the 4th qtr after a magical run in an offensive system he's expert at, people forget the O-line was the original problem and was never fixed.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 9, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Some feel that Blauche was offered the HC job again, but refused it. Some say that he is going to be named the HC by the bye week.

I would rather see him take over as coach by the bye week if Zorn does not make changes to get the Offense going.

You see, what Blauche did was stand up for the defense and he made changes to correct the defense for the better. Granted it was only for one game so far. Lets hope it continues.

But, what Blauche did is what Zorn has not done yet. Take the blame for his area of responsibility and made some changes to hopefully correct it.

Now, if we donot see any successful changes this week with the offense, then we may very well be headed for a HC change.

I have been hearing and reading, radio talk show hosts and guests, fans, bloggers, saying this team is a joke and that Synder dosen't have a clue and should sell the Team and that he poisons everything that comes into Redskin Park.

Yawl' got it wrong baby, there is something cooking in the Redskins kitchen and I think it smells kinda' good.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 9, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Didn't Cerrato throw Blache under the bus when he mentioned the two of them met first?

Posted by: oknow1 | October 9, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I know I am going to regret this. I been on this blog for a little bit now. I keep seeing these references to "The Mayor".

I haven't been able to pin down who the The Mayor is.

Would somebody tell me what blogger is being referred to as The Mayor.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 9, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

How about the whole team shuts up and puts up.

Posted by: hessone | October 9, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Snyder comes from a Communications background. name of the game is - control the message.

loose cannons (or those speaking the truth) need to be silenced. party line message only is accepted. snyder's orwellian view of the world - the message is the reality.

speaking with the media - at least a little - is in the job description of every other nfl coach. thus, this is weird, and probably a mandate from above.

Posted by: malcolmyoung1 | October 9, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Snyder is young and will own this team for decades. Like I said, WE ARE DOOMED!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | October 9, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Ever get the feeling you're watching the aftermath of a horrific car accident and they're cutting the occupants out of the car? Are they dead? Alive? I get the feeling if Snyder fired Zorn and made Lewis the OC that Blatche would refuse to take the HC job. Wouldn't the team be in a fine pickle then!!

Posted by: bullwinkle1 | October 10, 2009 7:00 AM | Report abuse