Zorn says FG attempt was 'a poor kick'

After Sunday's loss, Coach Jim Zorn said he thought the snap was high on place kicker Shaun Suisham's missed 23-yard field-goal attempt late in the fourth quarter. Long snapper Ethan Albright agreed.

But Suisham said the snap was fine and accepted full responsibility for failing to connect on a chip-shot attempt that would have extended the Redskins' lead to 10 points. Zorn reviewed a tape of the play and said today that he'd changed his assessment of the snap.

"I went back and looked at it but ... it was definitely in the right target," he said. "It was a decent snap, it was an excellent hold and it was a poor kick. That's basically what it was."

By Jason Reid  |  December 7, 2009; 2:28 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ganther leads running-back-by-committee
Next: Thomas is gaining maturity to match ability

Comments

First to say Rachel216 might have an apology owed to her by a certain someone?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 7, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Zorn says Suisham's FG attempt was 'a poor kick'

Gee, what other kind of kick is there when you miss it.

Posted by: Predator48 | December 7, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

No kidding. He sucks, from the miss at the Seahawks in the playoffs to the 42 yarder left short last year, to the Dallas game to yesterday, how long a leash does the guy need?

signed the resident idiot (who forgot the golden rule, the Skins can always lose by 1 score.)

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 7, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Bring in someone young with potential for a 4 week tryout. Start in Oakland. May I suggest BRANDON COUTU??

Posted by: AdamCr | December 7, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

May I suggest BRANDON COUTU??

yes, but probably not four times.

Check that, apparently you can four times -- and counting.

Posted by: daggar | December 7, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Disappointing loss; most facets covered already. LL is a clown that doen't make me laugh. Soup's numbers were better. However, the game announcers mentioned repeatedly that NO's top three corners did not play yesterday. Guess that's why Soup(17-31, as a starter) was getting away w/ staring down read one or two most of the day (the usual) and getting away w/ it. Moss was wide open 10-20 yards past Soup's pick throw at the end, just like he's been open for five years and not getting the ball at the right time. The excuses around the losing change by the week, but the QB that wins 35% of his starts doesn't. He's been the common thread of losing since he was handed the job. The excuses around the team losing have changed as long as Vinny's been here too, but he's been stealing checks for ten years. 5-15 in the last 20....No more excuse and lose, more step up and win. Winning teams play players that win games as much as possible at any position from the highest paid to the lowest paid. I'm sure there's a QB out there that could win more than 35% of started games.

Posted by: Realness1 | December 7, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Paging League-Source, Paging League-Source.

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 7, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

No sht! I keep telling myself just 4 more weeks of this clown.

Posted by: jm220 | December 7, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

With their first pick in the 2010 NFL draft the Washington Redskins select Kicker Aaron Pettrey from Ohio State.

Posted by: mburns134 | December 7, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Lots of things up in the air in our FF leagues!!!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 7, 2009 2:22 PM

With another 140ish point performance this weekend, the 4-12s deserve an at-large bid to the FF playoffs. We'd win the whole gosh durn thing.
We're the Redskins of FF...shoulda, woulda, coulda, but didn't.

Posted by: 4-12 | December 7, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Once I hear about whoever the new guy is, I'll shut up. Bring someone who has a chance to be part of the solution.

Posted by: AdamCr | December 7, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

abuse

"Vinny isn't picking--tho he's looking a lot less dumb these days as Thomas and Davis develop."

(INSERT plate of crow.)

I'm the kind of brother who admits when he's wrong.

And since no one has done so, I'll consume my plate 'o crow in full view.

Like most folks, I thought the young receivers were a waste.

That Justin Tyron wasn't all that.

I posted this multiple times.

I've posted that Mr. Cerrato was a moron for drafting them.

But now, they and Jason Campbell are getting on the same page were Sanatana Moss and Campbell haven't been.

It appears that I was wrong.

I apologize.

So I will eat my crow and crow about the other perceived failures besieging the team.

Hopefully, there are some other assessments about Mr. Cerrato's roster where I've been wrong.

Excuse me, I got bird to eat.

(INSERT salt shaker, knife fork, and glass of burgandy 'n gold kool.)

Posted by: MistaMoe

Put down the salt shaker ... its too early to eat crow.

First, the young WRs aren't the real deal yet. Second, we used 3 second round picks -- and you would expect some good players to come in round 2. The WR-TE-WR (copyright Nate) haven't shown that they equal to the expected value of 3 second round picks.

As for me, I liked getting 2 big WRs. I figured 1 of the 2 would pan out, and we needed WR help. I knew nothing of Kelly or Thomas since I don't follow college football, but I like big WRs.

I panned the Davis pick, figuring his upside would only occur if Cooley (who is under a long term contract) was injured. Well, Cooley is hurt, and Davis has looked good.

Still, come next year, we'll have two worthy TE, but no worthy RT.

So don't stuff yourself on crow ... at least not yet.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 7, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Anybody have Rachel's #? Add another RI junkie to the CROW buffet, because if Zorn called out Albright, League Source would be belligerent.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 7, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Moe, a little something to go with your bird:

A little Minneapolis Mystery, perhaps? Always goes down smooth.

I think I've got some crow waiting for me at home too. In fact, I think there might be a run on RI crow today.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 7, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

We're the Redskins of FF...shoulda, woulda, coulda, but didn't.

Posted by: 4-12

You were the 3rd highest scoring team in the league. In the other league, the 3rd highest scoring team came in, ummmm, first.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 7, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

BTW: if you are local, check out the Washington Times photo in the Sports Section of the Moore INT. Clearly shows Shockey had a hand on him while he had possession of the INT on the ground. Screwed.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 7, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I can't find it do you have a link?

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 7, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

No mention of Portis so I assume he's stil out?

No more jokes about "talking a bingo caller out of retirement" I guess.

Lastly: A kicker only needs to know how to do two things. Kick it straight and put a shoulder into the thigh of a kick returner. He doesn't need to read defenses, execute routes, study playbooks or film. If he can't hit 100% inside of 30 yards or keep kickoffs in bounds he needs to go. I'm sure he'll be around the rest of the year with only 4 games left but he won't be here next June.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | December 7, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | December 7, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Suisham says Zorn's failure to go for touchdown was 'yet another poor coaching decision'.

Posted by: coparker5 | December 7, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

If the kicker is injured, the punter should be able to make a 23 yarder.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | December 7, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

98% of the team can make a 23-yarder to win the game (that would be 52 divided by 53). Unfortunately, the only one who can't is the paid kicker.

Posted by: Section104 | December 7, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

PA,

I think it is only in the actually print copy, unfortunately.

Of course, there is no mention of the obvious in the Times' caption below the picture, or in any of the articles.

It just sums things up nicely.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 7, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Gee, Zorn was unusually blunt. He didn't even say, "But I thought he made good decisions leading up to the kick", or "He did everything right but the final part", or "He's a good kicker and I am sure he will not do that again".

With Zorn being so blunt, I get the feeling Suisham will get bounced.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 7, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

can we stop the "meteoric rise" talk about Gray? our highly ranked secondary(cause no one has to throw on us after the 1st quarter) can't cover, tackle, or catch. everybody bites on the double moves. we've been beat on 3rd or 4th and long all year. cornerbacks can't tackle quarterbacks and LL still can't wrap a single person. rogers couldn't catch crabs if they were already in his jock. intercept a fourth down pass 25 yards downfield? no one reminded them to just bat it down?

Posted by: stromi | December 7, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Should have been more aggressive going for a touchdown, instead of killing time of the clock & field goal. Snake bit or not,
Suisham, already has 2 very "Crucial" field goal kicks, that affected the outcome
of the Dallas & New Orleans game. Time for
new kicker.

Posted by: madalao | December 7, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stromi | December 7, 2009 3:17 PM

Jerry Gray will be unemployed shortly. Memphis is going in another direction and he will be available to teach some other secondary how not to play.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 7, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Poor kick = Suisham threw the game. Wonder how much he got paid?

Posted by: sjcsando | December 7, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

What didn't they fake the field goal?
lol

Posted by: jmy999 | December 7, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Suisham's no longer an Apprentice or he hear he Don "YOUR FIRED!" line. What more can he do wrong before being booted. Gees! I liked my alums' kicker better, Nick Novak. He was ushered out before his time.

Posted by: Clarkent1 | December 7, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Agreed regarding Davis, who is showing why he was consensus all american..top TE in 2007. But, Thomas?? He was playing against a secondary that was less than half of its normal personnel and thus strength.. A rookie in his first game and 2 other backups. His "break out game" was not against a true NFL secondary. But, he is developing in his second year..far better than last year.
And JC choked like he always does in a tight game. If its the last 5 minutes of a close game and you're a DB, just sit back while JC panics and drops his mechanics as he "one reads" his primary receivers. Vilma did this and so did Asante Samuels (2xs) and the Dallas DBs, etc..
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

(INSERT plate of crow.)

I'm the kind of brother who admits when he's wrong.

And since no one has done so, I'll consume my plate 'o crow in full view.

Like most folks, I thought the young receivers were a waste.

That Justin Tyron wasn't all that.

I posted this multiple times.

I've posted that Mr. Cerrato was a moron for drafting them.

It appears that I was wrong.

I apologize.

Excuse me, I got bird to eat.

(INSERT salt shaker, knife fork, and glass of burgandy 'n gold kool.)

Posted by: MistaMoe

Put down the salt shaker ... its too early to eat crow.

Still, come next year, we'll have two worthy TE, but no worthy RT.

So don't stuff yourself on crow ... at least not yet.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 7, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | December 7, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 7, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I can't find it do you have a link?

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 7, 2009 2:51 PM

Go to their game pictures. The seventh picture in the sequence shows Shockey's hand on Moore with the ball in Moore's hand on his way to the ground...before he got up and before his fumble turned into that critical TD.

Of course, THAT one (on a much freakier play than the Sellers play in overtime) was NOT subject to a frame-by-frame review...

Hence my earlier comment about the (un)official NFL replay policy--"play will be reviewed against the Redskins unless the evidence is incontrovertable--and sometimes even then." The Redskins did plenty to lose this game without help from the Refs...but it's still maddeningly frustrating that replay is applied so consistently against them. A study needs to be presented to the league showing this imbalance. If nothing else, it will let the NFL know it's being noted and tracked.

Posted by: Banzai45 | December 7, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

When Suisham missed that kick, you could hear all the Vegas bookies and their bagmen sighs of relief.

If this improbable upset had occurred, alot of bookies would be "borrowing" money right now.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | December 7, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Let Shuan Shank-em walk in free agency. Sign a real kicker like Neil Rackers.

Posted by: elfreako | December 7, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I think if you watch the replay of the Moore interception you will see that he does not maintain control of the ball when he hits the ground moments after he caught it. It's an incomplete pass. No INT, no strip, no TD.

Posted by: edvar | December 7, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Don't ever mention that kicker's name in this town again. Ever.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 7, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey Zorn, NO Suisham's kick was NOT needed if your pathetic offense had done its' job to score a 4 yards T-O-U-C-H-D-O-W-N that would have padded the Redskins lead to 14 points making it much harder for the Saints to catch up and give the Redskins the WIN, STUPID.

YOU COACH ZORN LOST THE GAME, NOT Suisham. So get OFF Suisham's back and take responsibility for YOUR STUPIDITY that lost yesterday's game.

The offense can't even score a 4 yards TOUCHDOWN, how pathetic just like you coach - PATHETIC.

Score 27 points against the Eagles and lose. Score 30 points against the Saints and still lose.

PATHETIC COACH = PATHETIC Skins.

Posted by: memyselfI1 | December 7, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

PATHETIC COACH = PATHETIC Skins.

Posted by: memyselfI1 | December 7, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | December 7, 2009 4:06 PM |

The Skins covered the points no body bets games straight up. Vegas still lost there shirts on that one.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 7, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

memyselfI1 ... This guy is an idiot. Please explain your logic in going for a touch down on 4th down with 78 seconds left in a game. This is so stupid... the kicker lost the game. The coach made the right call.

Posted by: rogerdodger24 | December 7, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Zorn, you've got a lot of pathetic nerve you loser. Even a poor high school coach would know to center the ball on the field and not kick a close in FG from the hash mark that close in.

Posted by: Bowerguy1 | December 7, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

FIRE Suisham ALREADY !

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | December 7, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Zorn buys into the Gibbs mentality that every Redskin game has to be close. If we keep Suisham maybe he goes for the kill from now on when the opportunity presents itself.

Posted by: coparker5 | December 7, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

You can't hold Jerry Gray responsible for the stupidity of LL or CR they watch film they know a QB like Brees is smart and experienced so how is it Gray's fault when they succumb to the infamous "double move". I'm sure Jerry Gray has told them time and again about pass patterns and about certain receivers and lets get real the Saints dropped 38 on the Patriots and have averaged damn near 35 a game through 12 games, if that choker of a field goal kicker doesn't miss a chip shot then we're not talking about Jerry Gray,Mel Gray,Dorian Gray,or anybody else named Gray.

Posted by: dargregmag | December 7, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know if Graham Gano from FSU is out there? The dude is money, he's young and he'd come cheap.

Posted by: sufferinskinsfan | December 7, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

I really don't want to hear excuses about Moore being down by contact or he didn't really catch the ball. He let the freaking ball be taken away from him like a punk. Give me a break! Seller's fumble is more arguable. I thought the play was blown dead. How can you go back and review and overturn that? The Skins outplayed the Saints but incredibly found a way to lose in every possible fashion. LaRon Landry, what an idiot! The sad part is that he doesn't even realize he's an idiot. Either the guy is uncoachable or the coaches aren't doing their jobs. How many times does he bite on a double move before he gets it? Every f*cking week he gives up big plays. It's time to use Yoder instead of Sellers who can't block and is always in danger of missing assignments. Jason Campbell, please just once lead us down the field when it really counts! Defense, please just once make a stop when it really counts! Suisham, our idiot kicker, I hope you're packing, but it would have been nice to make a FG just once when it really counted! Losers! This team has a loser mentality! It's time to just play for broke and stop getting a wad in your panties when it gets a little tight.

Posted by: jfoster13 | December 7, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

leave it to realness1 to leave a really fuqqin stupid post as always. he starts about by taking a shot @ landry and i was all for that then he switches gears and points the rest of the blame on campbell. how idiotic can that be? real"ness" idiotic is what i say. while i'm as upset as every other fan here, i also keep in mind that we were never down in this game...not once to the nfc's (if not the nfl's) most explosive offense and when they scored, we scored to keep ahead. landry spent too much time hoping a pick would come his way and bit on a double move. next thing you know, he's saying "oh shyt" and colston scores. then again in the last 3 mins of the game he pulls the same thing. looks into brees' eyes...says "i got this.." then says "oh shyt...not again". suddenly meachem scores. so realstupid...er realness1, how the fuqq is that campbell's fault? did they switch jerseys or something when the camera wasn't looking? between you and surfum1 i can't tell who's the bigger idiot! for all the world knows, you're probably the same fuqqin guy saying the same stupid shyt! go choke yourself!

Posted by: charronegro1971 | December 8, 2009 3:49 AM | Report abuse

i hear what you're saying dargregmag but jerry gray is responsible in the fact that when rogers bit on the double move during the denver game, gray benched him to "protect him". landry bit on the double move not once but twice! does landry require less protection than rogers? we all know the old saying "do it once, shame on you. do it twice, shame on me.." landry should've been benched indeed. essentially, if a player can't perform up to standards, someone else needs to step in to do it the right way. you also have to consider that landry is more of a strong safety and grey still refuses to swap positions to accomodate landry's strength as a run stopper. he's not so great in coverage.

Posted by: charronegro1971 | December 8, 2009 3:55 AM | Report abuse