Zorn Says Vick Deserves 2nd Chance

Jim Zorn will meet with the media soon for his weekly day-after-the-game gabfest, but I also chatted privately with him about the Redskins and other topicslate Thursday night.

Zorn gave me his view on the Philadelphia Eagles' signing of Michael Vick, and it was pretty much what I figured. Zorn believes in giving people second chances, and Vick has a big opportunity with the Eagles, Zorn said.

"He's earned his way back for an opportunity," he said. "This is going to be tremendous for a guy like Michael Vick. To be hanging out with [Eagles quarterback] Donovan McNabb, and some of the guys on that football team that are seasoned veterans, [who] can speak into his life. It's going to be a long road back, but at least he's on the road."

By Jason Reid  |  August 14, 2009; 12:17 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: O-Line Passes One Big Test
Next: Zorn: Injuries in Loss to Ravens 'Not Serious'

Comments

Bill Frist?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

First first?

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 14, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

1st?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 14, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

THIRD! Redskins are gonna be 6-10 this year. Uuuuggggghhhhh :-(

Posted by: sjw1 | August 14, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Zorny on CSN now...

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Flip flop those W's and L's sjw and I think you got it right!

HAIL!!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Nice warm fuzzy talk from Zorn, about an NFC East rival player...

I wonder if he's going to be waxing about Vick's "tremendous new life opportunity" after Vick rushes for a couple of redzone TDs in a Wildcat formation against the Skins, and Zorn's fanny is on the coaching hot-seat...

Posted by: p1funk | August 14, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

i haven't seen the game because i live in L.A. it will be replayed at 12 on nfl network, bwoo hahahahahaha.

also going to get the new madden today double bwoo hahahahah

noone got hurt, rinehart and kelly contributed, orakpo looked good

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 14, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Is it me or does Zorn have either an enormous melon or a little body? "Look at the size of that heeed! It looks like a potato on a toothpick!"

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

"Zorn Says Vick Deserves 2nd Chance"

Moe says Vick is not on our team.

Who cares?

Zorn needs to spit a little game about how the offense and at what point in the preseason might he worry.

We got the defense for Vick.

But do we have the offense to match any touchdowns he might score?

That's the question that deserves a first chance at being answered by Zorn.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 14, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

i was for the reinstatement of Vick and giving the guy a 2nd chance, but now that he's an Eagle....

F that guy, f'in dog killer

just sayin

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 14, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

He's layin a little verbal wood in his presser Moe...I think he knows it's way too early to get out of the Medium Zone tho...

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

this just in from Zorn - "He (Orakpo) is gonna be fine" Thanks for the peerless insight.

on Tryon - "I'm not down on him...they picked on him but he's gonna rise up and be fine" I hope so Coach........

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

you said it was just "some damned dog" and then "as a Muslim we know they are not clean animals not as bad as pigs but no clean." That's using religion ingornatly and recklessly. Shame on you.

No it not. "Damn dog" has nothing do with being Muslim. That's my opinion and compared to a human being dog will always be a damn dog in my book. Before I became a Muslim I knew that dogs were not clean animals. Try again.

Posted by: jm220 | August 14, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm...Maybe Michael Vick killed the blog - rhymes with...

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 14, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

It's not the end of the world.
Yes, it is a preseason game.
But not even a field goal?

That's embarrassing people.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 14, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Tryon stinks. He stunk last year, when he should have been cut, and he's just as bad this year. The fact that he wasn't cut last year suggests that Cerrato, and not the coaches, is making roster decisions (i.e., who to cut), and that concerns me greatly. If one of our top three corners goes down for any length of time, we are in trouble.

Posted by: rbpalmer | August 14, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

The Most Media Stars: NFC East?

Clinton Portis
Santana Moss
Albert Haynesworth
Donovon McNabb
Byron Westbrook
Mike Vick
Eli Manning
Brandon Jacobs
Osi Umeniyora
Tony Romo
DeMarcus Ware
Marion Barber

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 14, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG

Tryon's fast, and will be a major asset at FedEx. The company FedEx, mind you, not the playing field

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 14, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

ha!

Ask him if he slept OK last night on his giant pillow!

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 14, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

_stumped_

This reads like a haiku of football horror:

"It's not the end of the world
Yes, it is a preseason game
But not even a field goal?"

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 14, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

ok JM, since you seem intent on not letting sleeping dogs lie as it were...

did you or did you not say "as a Muslim we know they are not clean animals not as bad as pigs but no clean"?

For your edification and further education on your religion. I await your thoughts.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

nice catch Etrod. BTW, is there a difference between Etrod and "The Original Etrod"? Did someone steal your handle?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

unintentional haiku foul...10 yards and loss of down.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 14, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Brilliant zcest!! He will be a fine addition indeed.

But really, let's not give up on Tryon just yet...if 28 believes in him, shouldn't we at least give him 3 more weeks??

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

just got back from lunch...did I miss anything??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 14, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I agree. Tryon really stunk, but everyone else kind of stunk too, there were few bright spots (Hunter the punter).

All we can do is crawl back into our holes until next week.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 14, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Well the good news is that we play at home the bad news is that we play the steelers can we say ouch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: joevick | August 14, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I am no Snyder fan, and like most of you would love to see him sell the team...however let's face facts - we are in all likelihood stuck with Snyder for, oh...40 more years or so. If this team implodes, I really truly think that Cerrato will go (unless he actually does have blackmail photos of Danny's wife with an orangutan). What are Snyder's priorities? 1) Making money and 2) Winning, in that order. But most of all he wants to do both. He didn't become a billionaire without a little common sense. Last year we wound up with 3 2nd rounders...the fact that they were not entirely well spent (i.e., 86)...well, it's a step in the right direction, as was passing on Sanchez/Cutler. I really think the ship, ruderless and confounding as it often has been, is starting to get headed in the right direction. Or maybe I'm just drunk

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

1) Making money and 2) Winning

You got that backwards. Once he starts winning on a consistent basis, making money falls right in behind that...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 14, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Notorious_LMG you really should do better research and before posting.

1. I said I knew dogs were not clean animals before I became a Muslim. Meaning that I was not always a Muslim.

2. The Hadith is not the Quran. It is the saying of Phrophet Muhammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him)

3.Whoeever wrote that did not read the 18th Surah (chapter) of the Quran. The dogs and the people that were at the foot of the cave was not believers. They were disbelievers who were ran into the cave by the believers.

Try again or maybe you should as you said "let sleeping dogs lie"

Posted by: jm220 | August 14, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Wow, half the bad rep guys in the list ended up with Dallas at some point.

Classy team ya'll got there in Texas

Posted by: jgarrisn | August 14, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Ugh, I was drunk and pissed last night. Even though I kept telling myself not to have any expectations, I couldn't help but be disgusted by that pathetic display.

AT LEAST NO ONE GOT HURT (seriously)

I feel like I have watched this same game with the Ratbirds for the past 5 years. Can we not schedule some preseason games with the Lions and Browns, please?

Well, you have to feel at least a little better about the O-line. Not so much the secondary.

Fumbles, penalties, poor tackling are all signs of a sloppy, undisciplined training camp. They have got to stop babying these guys.

Wow, we have some really cruddy depth out there. Barnes and Tryon are about as far from NFL ready as you can get right now. The less said about Sleepy Davis the better...ugh.

This was a serious reality check for the optimist in me.

Posted by: McMetal | August 14, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Religion is unclean.

Posted by: mack1 | August 14, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

A few things to take away from last night's game:

1. Justin Tryon is still the worst CB (yes worst than Ade Jimoh) to ever wear a Skins uniform
2. Rinehart has improved and is definately a Guard, not a OT
3. The Colt Brennan "ready to start now" talk should've come to an end.
4. "Sleepy" Davis has butter on is hands.
5. The young WRs did well and should offer some hope.

Posted by: dcwun | August 14, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Irrelevant...but it make me feel better.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 14, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, last night will probably be fogotten. Okay, not probably - it will but man, that was just awful.

Other than missing injuries, there was nothing beneficial at all out of it. Just a wasted night unless one realizes that some of these second year guys can't play.

Posted by: SteveMG | August 14, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

What bummed me out was giving up 400 yards in the air to a team that last year had a pretty lame passing attack. It's not like the Ravens' receivers got that much better. I don't want to see what happens against the Patriots in 2 weeks.

Posted by: zornskins2 | August 14, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I may be the only one with this opinion, but I feel GOOD about the opening game. Why?

First, no one critical to the team got hurt in a way that might impact the regular season.

Second, we weren't even close to putting our starting team on the field. No Portis. No Moss. Weapons #1 and #2. Campbell was throwing to a soon to be UPS worker named Marques Hagans. On defense, was Albert out there? Or Carlos? Me thinks those guys are a lot better than the guys who did play.

Third, some of the guys that will be needed or helpful showed progress/results. From what I heard/read, this group included Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Chad Rinehart, Jeremy Jarmon and even Mike Williams. And can anyone say "Orakpo" ... well, Sam Huff can't, but that's besides the point. The guys in this group have a shot at being somewhere between useful and important. Seems to me that they all are on a good track.

Fourth, do I really care if Dorsey or Aldridge or Tryon or Colt or Barnes struggled? In the big picture ... no. These are guys whose upside was hanging on to a roster spot -- not be a difference maker. So what if they can't carry Leigh Torrence's jock. Fred Davis? He's a backup to a Pro Bowl player. Also not critical.

Fifth, the first team guys were rusty. So what? I don't need London Fletcher to peak in August. We're a month away from needing our vets to be at full speed -- plenty of time to shake the rust.

Bottom line ... I'm good

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 14, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Tryon was that bad....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 14, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

All good points zcezcest1 - speaking of Huff, I listened to the game last night on the internet - I usually catch one or two radio broadcasts a year and have always loved Sonny and Sam - but Sam has officially lost it, right?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 14, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

1) Making money and 2) Winning

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

John Madden agrees with you. Madden says that if you set up a sports franchise with the goal of making money, you won't win and you probably won't make much money. But if you set it up to win, then you have a chance to win, and after that, you can make money.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 14, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Players who did look good last night

Kareem Moore
Jeremy Jarmon
Chris Wilson
Orakpo
Dixon(DT)
Malcom Kelly
Chad Rhinehart

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 14, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, about the time registation started some troll had it out for the d-list bloggas and ganked my handle.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 14, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston

Yes Sam has lost it.

Posted by: jm220 | August 14, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

were any of the players or coaches upset, mad, pissed off about such a pathetic showing last night? it just seems like the skins accept these types of sorry performances

Posted by: coparker5 | August 14, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

In honor of arguing: How men and women's brains work during an argument** ...

**WARNING**
Some 'R' rated stuff on the link if you're at work...

Posted by: 4-12 | August 14, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 14, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Yes Sam has lost it.

Posted by: jm220 | August 14, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling this is the season where he bringing a sock puppet into the booth with him.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 14, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Zce, I needed that.

Jarmon and Orakpo both looked really solid. Very happy with those guys' performance.

Posted by: McMetal | August 14, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

coparker5

"...were any of the players or coaches upset, mad, pissed off about such a pathetic showing last night?...."

Was the team's showing that bad?

I was amped to watch the game on the NFL Network.

Perhaps I shouldn't.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 14, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Mikey Vick is a felon.

The Redskins will finish with a 4-12 record.

It's time to say goodbye to Vincent Cerrato.

Too bad, Danny Snyder.

Maryland will finish with a 2-10 record.

Maryland's defensive line and linebacker corps are a joke --- no pass rush whatsoever and give up a ton of long yardage plays.

I have seen harder hitting teams in powder puff leagues.

The only hard hits the Terps make - are out of bound plays - which cost them an additional 15 yards - which are quite frequent.

California's running back - Best - will gain 296 yards in the opening game

I love it, when Maryland constantly gets embarrassed on national TV.

Prediction:

California -- 56
Maryland -- 10

It's hilarious to see Maryland win a game - and the very next week get clobbered by a Virginia Tech - Boston College.

It is great to see Maryland go down to a crushing defeat on recruiting front (the kids they have received commitments from - are a joke! - taking the bottom of the barrel)

Carolina Blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels - Let's go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | August 14, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 14, 2009 12:54 PM

Question for the group: Why is it that whenever a football player's career as a professional athlete is in doubt, the presumption is he's going to be relegated to a job doing manual labor like delivering packages?

Z, not trying to pick on you but your post is just the latest example so I'm using it. Mike Patrick said something similar during the game when the 3rd stringers were playing.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 14, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

i couldn't watch the game, but listened to Sonny and Sam. Apparently the first team o-line looked ok and Orakpo and Jarmon looked good.They also said Malcolm Kelly caught a nice pass, but seriously not even a fieldgoal. Not a good sign.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 14, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Well, I'm kind of used to broadcasters who aren't all with us - Milo Hamilton does the Astros games down here - he's reduced to only home games, and in most innings, Milo will miss at least one at bat because he's regaling the listening audience with some sort of story about Harry Carey or Henry Aaron.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 14, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

LH -

Good question. I think it has more to do with the 'Zinger' factor than anything. Saying a guy will be bagging groceries next week is funnier than saying 'If he keeps dropping passes he'll be starting his own IT consulting business soon.'

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 14, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston

Huff has definitely lost it. What saddens me is that he doesn't take this gig seriously. Knowing where Orakpo is from and pronouncing his name correctly isn't too much to ask. Your getting paid good $$ to inform fans on the radio. Do some research, talk to the players, learn about them.

Calling the guy "Arkapo" isn't acceptable

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 14, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod

LOL, you know that is wrong E.

Posted by: jm220 | August 14, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

If we can't outscore other teams, at least we can try to scare the crap out of opposing QB's. Any chance we'll see the following defensive front on passing downs during the season:

Carter - DE
Haynesworth - DT
Jarmon - DT
Orakpo - DE

For the record, I realize talking about Flacco's progress has nothing to do with the Redskins, but he makes JC17 look like a pu-pu platter.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 14, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: dcsween | August 14, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Huff crossed the line into being offensive. He was purposely doing it and giggling about it like a school girl.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 14, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 14, 2009 1:19 PM

I have no idea how you could possibly come away from that game feeling good! I can see not really caring because it was a meaningless pre-season game, but feeling good? The beer must have been flowing at your house last night!

I agree with your first point.

I strongly disagree with your 2nd point. Do you think that the Ravens played at full strength? I believe a small pash rushing threat named terrell Suggs sat out. You think that he might have had an impact on the way Zorn feels about our O-Line this morning?

Now, to address your 3rd point. What exactly did Kelly and Devin Thomas do last night? They sure as hell didn't visit the endzone! Reinhart and Williams played on the O-Line that coudl not make it past the ravens 30 yard line the entire game.

Your 4th point: You should care about how the back-ups play in this game. Who do you think plays if one of our starters gets hurt? Oh, that's right, no one ever gets hurt in the NFL. Also, not caring about Tryon and Barnes makes me sick. You do realize that these guys are supposed to be on the field in nickle and dime situations, right?

Your 5th point: How is it that you are good with some of our starters being rusty, but the Ravens starters looked like a well oiled machine? How many more practices have they had under their belts than us? What are they doing to get their players ready that we aren't?

Bottom Line: We are a 6-10 to 9-7 team who will be without a QB after this year when Campbell plays out his contract and leaves town. Then, we are back to square one and old Danny and Vinny will be hot on the trail of Colt McCoy and Sam Bradford without addressing the pathetic O-Line!

Posted by: NCMatt1 | August 14, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I grew up watching Zorn play for the Seahawks and it's disappointing that such an act of cruelty is dismissed for the hopes of winning football games. Let's not forget about his Ron Mexico days. He's just a creep!! Take this Vick - http://my.arfie.com/video/arfie-cans-vick

Posted by: animalnation | August 14, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

hclark1,

First of all, from the bottom of my heart you can stick it up your arse. Second, you're a Carolina football fan and you have the nerve to talk trash? Carolina blue has traditionally stood for powder puff. If you're going to talk college football trash then at least come from a program that has traditionally fared better than Maryland. Not Carolina powder puff blue. Fear the Turtle!

Posted by: croftonpost | August 14, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

MCMatt1,

Chill out. It's too early for such panic. Try again in six weeks if things haven't changed.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 14, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I say Michael Vick deserves a 2nd chance,and any of you wusses who say he doesn't have got your heads screwed on backward. What have you done, that they haven't caught you doing, yet? I'm not excusing what he did, & even Mike himself admits he was wrong about the dogs. Some people do not recognize that dogs are not human, and often throw out the baby with bath water, literaly. Get a life, let this man continue to work his job in football. It promises to be a great and exciting year for the Eagles. One of the biggest mistakes that the 'Skins have made is NOT SIGNING MICHAEL VICK. As bad as that team plays, how can they be afraid of a little controversy? That's probadly what they need. I hate punks!!!

Posted by: ahrj | August 14, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

YEAH EAGLES......Everyone's going to be watching you this season...Thanks for being the 1st (sorry Bengals, your lost)to stand up and not be punks, and help this man to move on in his life. I'm glad that Michael Vick is also helping animals...some good can come of his mistake. what the enemy meant for evil, God worked it to the good for those who are called according to His purpose. You all out there who are casting stones, watch yourselves, your spouses, children, etc. You never know when you'll need someone to give you or someone you love a 2nd chance. You ought to have sense enough to show some love and compassion. Didn't anyone ever teach you to treat others the way you want to be treated?

Posted by: ahrj | August 14, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse