Taylor Reports Knee Is a Bit Better

Defensive end Jason Taylor had a strong performance in Sunday's win, one that was a great improvement over his debut outing against the Giants. He said his right knee felt better in the game, and continues to improve.

"It's getting better," Taylor said. "I moved around better. It felt better. Little more pop. Little more power. It's getting there."

Taylor was in the face of QB Drew Brees frequently in the game and registered his first sack with the Redskins. He said that the relatively basic scheme being run here was not difficult to pick up, but that it takes time to learn the tendencies of his teammates and to become comfortable as part of the overall unit. "It's growing with time," he said of the adjustment.

With Kurt Warner essentially an immobile QB, and more of a straight dropback passer who will hold on to the ball a little long as he tries to make something happen downfield, Taylor should get his chances to get to the passer Sunday. The Skins have tried to blitz Warner in the past - he's fumble-prone - and though Taylor downplayed the significance of pressuring Warner, in particular, he is obviously a proponent of hitting the QB whenever possible.

"Pressure makes them do strange things," he said.

By Jason La Canfora  |  September 17, 2008; 1:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cooley Apologizes to Teammates (Updated)
Next: Thrash, Kelly Injuries Weaken WR Corps

Comments

Man, here I sit nursing my half-a-knee from week to week just to able to chase kids around... these guys are a freak of nature.

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 17, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Great logic. So you take the side of a has been who has a personal problem with our starting back. Why don't we just play little old has been BMitch instead? That sounds like a great way to win games.

Posted by: f_smoot27 | September 17, 2008 1:43 PM

B-Mitch is a ST legend, much respect to such a Bad-a$$. Anyone that understands how hard returning kicks is knows B-Mitch is a man amongst girls.

Posted by: V. Sikahema | September 17, 2008 1:53 PM

Posted by: V. Sikahema | September 17, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

It is very good news for us if he gets healthy. A decent passrush from the front 4 is the main reason we had two picks last week (and a shot at two more with the ones Landry and Fletcher batted down).

Posted by: Mike H. | September 17, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

See Gus Ferrot named Vikings starter this week. The Gus bus is back.

Posted by: wstclair | September 17, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe so many people were on the Vikings nuts as Super Bowl caliber team when they have no QB. Everyone says this is a QB driven league so how can you be a Super Bowl team with no QB?

Posted by: wstclair | September 17, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Currently, Laufenberg is the lead sports anchor for Dallas CBS affiliate KTVT. He was also the color man on the Cowboys Radio Network from 1996-2005, and hosted the head coach's weekly show during that period. He was replaced in his radio roles in 2006 by former Cowboys safety and pregame show host Charlie Waters. Laufenberg resumed his duties for the 2007 season.

Posted by: Babe L. | September 17, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

True CP is not AP. CP has more TD.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 17, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I love them both, but they are both in the wrong. B-Mitch is a legendary effort guy. He had half the talent of Portis but he made so much out of it. To me, he should be in the hall of fame for his total yards alone. He still has that chip on his shoulder so I think a lot of times he just acts like a dick to people.

Portis has tons of talent and plays hard but he never lets it look like he's playing as hard as he is. His problem is he's a fool when he opens his mouth. He just doesn't think about what he's saying.

Just a bad mix, those two. Like I said, though, they're both great skins.

Posted by: Mike H. | September 17, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I would rather have Gus than Jason Campbell. The guy has one decent game, and surrounds them with 3 or 4 bad games.

Don't let his luck against the Saints fool you. All this does is prolong the inevitability of replacing him with Colt.

Start Colt now, before it's too late!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 17, 2008 1:44 PM

Name somewhere that this 37 year old bum has played good, he gave himself a concusion, but you would take him over JC.

this completely wipes out all of your previous statements about Intelligent QB's, how smart can you be to give yourself a concusion during a game and also a career back up

Posted by: Great One | September 17, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Start Colt now, before it's too late!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 17, 2008 1:44 PM

Sports_Guru your an a$$ hopefully you just say sh1t like that to try an get a rise out of people, but if you seriously think Colt is better than JC then you should change your name from Sports_Guru to Sports_dumba$$

Posted by: wstclair | September 17, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Punt returns BMitch vs. ARE

On 317 punt returns for us, BM avg'ed. 11 yards a return with 7 TD's.

ARE avg's 11 yards sideways but only 4.2 straight ahead so far this year.

Posted by: will_ga | September 17, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Just a bad mix, those two. Like I said, though, they're both great skins.

Posted by: Mike H. | September 17, 2008 2:01 PM

Agree with you completely. Mitchell should get into the hall, but probably won't. He's better than White Shoes Johnson ever was.....CP really needs to thnk before he speaks, as evidenced by his comments about dog fighting......

Posted by: dlhaze | September 17, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I want use it as a computer. Surf the web, Excel, Word, Play videos, music.

They have Linux software (YellowDog?) but I wouldn't know what to do with it. I read in some PS3 blog that it'll take an amaetuer like me 2-4 hours to install. But I can't even get to that point!

Posted by: 4th | September 17, 2008 2:00 PM

Posted by: 4th | September 17, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I really think we need 4-5 guys who can return kicks and punts. I would love to see a depth chart at both spots liking like this.
Kick Return
1. Cartwright
2. Thrash
3. Thomas
4. Kelley

Punt Return

1. El
2. Betts
3. Thrash
4. Rock

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 17, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I want use it as a computer. Surf the web, Excel, Word, Play videos, music.

Posted by: 4th | September 17, 2008 2:00 PM

Posted by: 4th | September 17, 2008 2:17 PM

Cool Guy's posts are much better than your posts!

Posted by: 4th is not Cool Guy | September 17, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Judging by Cool Guys description I don't think it was my mom. The married thing and large chest thing does not sound like her.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 17, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Get on the Gus bus...

Hope the Metrodome's walls are well padded...

Adam

Posted by: EaglesFanAdam | September 17, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Music: Mr. Big Shot "Who do you think you are?"

Then CP's name comes up. Haha.

Posted by: B. Mitch Rules | September 17, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Haven't had a chance to read comments, but it looks like your former QB, Ferrotte will be leading the Vikes to the Super Bowl.

(let's all bang our head on concrete to celebrate!)

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

A bit off topic....

Holy schnike the stock market sucks!

Posted by: isnadd | September 17, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I think Jason's article in this morning's paper was unneccesary in seemingly making fun of Joe Gibbs' Christianity. The comment about praying for an injured linebacker or a wide receiver with a bone bruise...I don't recall Gibbs ever asking fans for prayer about player injuries (except of course the tragic shooting of Sean Taylor). I thought that comment was unneccesary and out of line. Gibbs never did that!

Posted by: teechur | September 17, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

A bit off topic....

Holy schnike the stock market sucks!

Posted by: isnadd | September 17, 2008 2:44 PM

much more topical than anything else today.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

BMitch = Rottweiler
CP = Chihuahua

Posted by: Daniel N. Snyder | September 17, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Looks like someone had to ruin all the fun on the blog for the day.

Posted by: Cool Guy | September 17, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm..and now the "Forum-like" comments are all gone...

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 17, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I never really thought that Jason had an axe to grind against Gibbs or the skins...but that comment makes me wonder. Maybe Gibbs being a tough interview...constantly using coachspeak irritated Jason to the point that he feels he has to jab Gibbs about his faith.

Posted by: teechur | September 17, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, continue with meaningless stuff if you want...I'm out.

Posted by: teechur | September 17, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Get ARE off punt returns and turn it over to Rock. But not to a WR, we don't have enough of them

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 17, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Bmitch is always going to speak his mind, because that is his job. One thing that was very apparent in the back and forth is how much more intelligent Bmitch is then Portis. Most people forget along with being the NFL total yards guy of all time, he has a degree in Chemical Engineering. Sometimes Portis needs to listen to those older and wiser then him. At the same time, on game day, nobodies effort is more then Portis, esp when blocking..

Posted by: dakind50 | September 17, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Bring back Eddie Brown!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Thank you cindy or JDN for removing the comments.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 17, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 17, 2008 1:52 PM

its called HGH baby

Posted by: greg | September 17, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Has Rock ever returned punts?

Posted by: will_ga | September 17, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Wow, one meeting all day, and I apparently missed something?

4th -- the "play videos, music" should be part of the basic PS3 package... I forget exactly how, but people have it hooked up to stream video/music from their PCs, without adding anything. I'll try to get a bit more info tomorrow...

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 17, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Guru,
Could you please turn toward the nearest wall, and promptly whack your head into it. Then comeback to the discussion. Thanks.

Posted by: The Anti-Colt | September 17, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Has The Truth been on lately to talk about UGA? They did not look so hot against South Carolina.

Posted by: Spurrier | September 17, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I've been out there three times -- once with my kids -- and I would never go back. Hateful angry drunk people, fights in the stands, ...

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 17, 2008 11:21 AM

t_e_, this is changing. At FedEx, they flashed the "NFL Code of Fan Conduct" for a while ... and I saw quite a few fans being "escorted" (forcefully in some cases) from the stadium. I get the feeling that enough upscale fans and grumpy media columns starting complaining loudly enough that the league has had to take action.

Back on that glog, I agree with the part about inconsideration of fans, esp. re: water. I personally was about to pass out (narrowing field of vision, hearing starting to fade) and the guy next to me, trying to find water, could only actually get any in the men's room sink, and ice from the beer vendor (who had to be sweet talked into giving it up). Beer was all over the place.

Also, I have no problem with WaPo IT cleaning up the comments. There ARE rules ... this is not 'Nam. See the hyperlink right above the commenting box.

Posted by: dcsween | September 17, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy | September 17, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 17, 2008 1:52 PM

chase??...I work out just so I can run from the kids in my house. Ever tried turning the channel to ESPN while spongebob is on. Its not pretty.

Posted by: will_ga | September 17, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Guru's head is harder than any wall that you will ever find. Why tear down walls?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES
as always, brought to you by YAHOO!

I've tried to figure out what a turnover means, expressed in yards. And I've determined that its the equivalent of 50 yards. So if a QB throws a pass 50 yards downfield and its picked off with no return, that is a neutral play. A sack resulting in an 8 yard loss with a fumble resulting in a turnover is a 58 yard play. A pick six returned where the line of scrimmage was the other guys twenty, 130 yards.

Say ARE has returned 5 punts for 21 yards with that fumble. To me, he is 5 punts for for -29 yards.

Drew Brees threw 2 picks, each about 10 yards downfield, so subtract 80 yards. Count in his two sacks.

Overall, thats 35 pass plays. 216 yards in completions - 21 lost in sacks - 80 lost to INTs

Gives a 'per play' average of about 3.3 yards a pass play.

One area that I haven't sorted through -- what happens when a receiver fumbles, like Shockey did. I think it can also be attributed to the passing game, but clearly isn't the fault of the QB. If you include Shockey's fumble as part of the passing game, then the real net for the Saints is 65 yards in 35 plays -- or 2.2 yards a play.

While some might wonder why this is useful, I see it as a way to get a better handle on comparing the effectiveness of a running game vs a passing game.

And that's ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES for this week, once again brought to you by YAHOO!

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 17, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

ISNADD,
Well, I guess if I were to post as WD, Wee Dog, or some other clever off shoot like "ISNADD" I would be much more "brave" and less "incognito". Asking someone to do that is pretty intelligent. I could just post as "Joe" every time, but then it would be hey thats not "Joe"! How do you know!? Alright, from now on I will consistently post as Bill. That way I am not "incognito". I am just worried if I always post as "Bill" some thief may come in here and steal my identity because I am releasing so much personal info. Anyway, my issue with you ISNADD is you are a MUSH. You come in here and have a negative attitude about everything. As was posted earlier, everyone loves RFK. Because a lot of wins and fond memories occurred there. Since you have never been to Fed EX, your opinion is nothing more than piling on. If the Skins win the next THREE NFC Championships there. All the sudden the fans will be like its "an expensive crappy fan experience" but its our little "expensive crappy fan experience"

Posted by: Screen Name | September 17, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, any changes at practice with the punt returners? Do they even practice punt returns?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Thanks C&D. Yeah, you can do the music/video view thing. But you can't stream from the Internet(s), such as, and all that other stuff you can do on the CPU.....

Posted by: 4th | September 17, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

4th, you probably got this from C&D already, but I think the blogging experience through Firefox on a Mac is superior to Safari, as well as any browser on a PC.

Posted by: dcsween | September 17, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Al Zeke, trying to follow your maths, it looks like a turnover is the equivalent of 50 yards based only on the Saints/Skins game. n of 1.

Posted by: dcsween | September 17, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

4th... of course, that's what an iPhone is for!

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 17, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

airtight

Posted by: wrong? | September 17, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

We aren't allowed to talk about practice after the first 10 minutes...until Zorn talks to the schlubs. Then we can get into it. Jasno is typing up his Zorn presser stuff now, so we'll hit you with some updates shortly.

Posted by: Cindy | September 17, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Hey screen name, experience this!

Posted by: isnadd | September 17, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

So do they crowd all the schlubs into JReid's nondisclosed bunker after the ten minute mark?

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 17, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

thanks

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Thank you cindy or JDN for removing the comments.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 17, 2008 3:12 PM

do not poke fun of Alex's mommy

Posted by: | September 17, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

No, the schlubs can watch, according to an agreement hammered out between the NFL and media reps. Schlubs can ask Zorn about what they've seen. They just can't blog, now that the regular season has begun, "Kareem Moore is working at quarterback on some plays." Unless, of course, Moore does so in the first 10 minutes. But he won't because that's basically stretching time.

Posted by: Cindy | September 17, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Thank you cindy or JDN for removing the comments.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 17, 2008 3:12 PM

do not poke fun of Alex's mommy

Posted by: | September 17, 2008 3:36 PM

Alex's mommy is so ugly, if I followed her home, something ugly would answer the door.

Sorry that was too good to resist.

Posted by: Soon to be removed | September 17, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Kareem Moore is working at QB!!

ESPN/John Clayton is going to take this story and run.

Posted by: Phil43 | September 17, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that is not good news about Gilbert Arenas and Les Boullez....

On a positive note, the beers at Fed-ex field are $12.00 but man are they cold....or so I am told.

Posted by: isnadd | September 17, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Kareem Moore is working at QB!
ESPN/John Clayton is going to take this story and run.

All they have to do is add "As first reported by ESPN's John Clayton, ..."

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 17, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Cindy | September 17, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Alex's mom so fat, when she wears a red shirt all the kids yell "Kool aid"

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Tell it, Bill.

Posted by: stumped | September 17, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: isnadd | September 17, 2008 3:41 PM

How is $12 for 1 beer a positive? 36 Miller Lite 12 oz cans for $21 vs 1 beer for $8-$12, what a bunch of schnooks!

Posted by: Whambulance | September 17, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I echo the question on who is practicing punt returns.

If you were Kiffin what would you do? I mean everything says you're fired but for some reason it's not official. So you have to keep preparing for Sunday but man what a nightmare.

(I was going to wish everyone happy Constitution Day being a civics teacher and all but apparently the middle school student council memebrs up in here get too riled up. So instead Happy Founding of the AFL Day - 1920)

Posted by: sfskin | September 17, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: teechur | September 17, 2008 2:45 PM

Ok, I don't read the Posts' Sports Section anymore so I didn't know what you were talking about.

This (the above refenced article) is the reason I don't read the sports section anymore. This is the most biased piece of work I may have seen in the sports section.

Yes, Gibbs did ask us fans to pray for injured players. So, what's the big deal on that???

Gibbs wouldn't give reporters what they wanted and now Zorn is giving too much.

And, JLaC continues to push this lie that Zorn took fault for not hurrying up in the 4th QTR Giants Game. At no time has he admitted this. I watched the JZ show with George Michaels which was a week later and he is sstill peddling the excuse that he didn't want to give the Giants the ball back with alot of time left. That's why I keep saying this dude must've thought we were down by one score (8 points instead of 9).

Every Coach does Coach Speak. He should know not to get too cozy with the Coach before he starts believing everything that comes out of his mouth............

I could rant on about this but I'll stop since everyone seems to be on the other side of the fence on this issue, save for teechur.........

Posted by: 4th | September 17, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: teechur | September 17, 2008 2:45 PM

Umm, Gibbs did ask for prayers for injured players

Posted by: oc skins | September 17, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse