Taylor Has Plantar Fasciitis, ARE a Sore Hamstring

Defensive end Jason Taylor was held out of practice this afternoon because of plantar fasciitis, coach Jim Zorn said, while starting WR Antwaan Randle El rested his sore hamstring. They were the only new players to sit out the afternoon session.

Both players took part fully in a vigorous morning session. Zorn said Taylor missed practice earlier in camp because of to the foot problem, and was not bothered by it in Saturday's game, but the problem "flared up" today. Plantar fasciitis is an inflammation of the tissue running across the bottom of the foot. "It's something we just have to watch," Zorn said. Zorn said he does not believe the problem will become severe and the team will allow Taylor, soon to be 34, to rest it when he needs to.

Randle El's hamstring is not injured, Zorn said, but is bothering him a bit. "We held him out not wanting it to get worse," Zorn said. He is expected to return shortly.

By Jason La Canfora  |  August 12, 2008; 4:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Yoder Returns for Lighter Practice
Next: Guest Blog: Who Should Be Next for the HOF?

Comments

First??

Posted by: Greg | August 12, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Plantar fasciitis is a dagger. Dolphins traded us damaged goods!

Posted by: Wes Mantooth | August 12, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

3thrdteenth!!!!!

Posted by: Ms. chokesondik | August 12, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Could it happen twice in a row??

1st.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 12, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to thanks my parents for not killing me when I was younger, my wife and kids for alway's supporting me...

Posted by: Greg | August 12, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Guess not.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 12, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I knew it!!!

It's the little-known* curse of the ex-Dolphins players...

Watch out! Scorpio Babers is next...

* because I just made it up

Posted by: Redcoat | August 12, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RI Roster | August 12th 4:02 PM

-- I didn't even get invited to camp????

Posted by: etrod | August 12, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

etrod, please call your agent. He has something to tell you....

Posted by: Redcoat | August 12, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

everyone here who's going to RI training camp, take one step forward...whoa! not so fast, etrod.

Posted by: etrod | August 12, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

As commissioner, I hereby reinstate etrod. Any rules you want changed?

Posted by: Cindy | August 12, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

yeah - betcha I know how he injured that, too... twinkle toes... grrr.

Just keep shootin him fulla novacaine, he'll be fine.

Posted by: Dik | August 12, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

That's ok etrod. You can join Team Anonymous. We are legion.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I would no longer like for you people to call me etrod. I'd like to go by Adam now.

Posted by: etrod | August 12, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

T.O. can call me etrod.

Posted by: etrod | August 12, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I thought this sounded like no big deal. But then I read this:

Many different treatments have been effective, and although it typically takes six to eighteen months to find a favorable resolution

and then this:

Most patients should improve within one year of beginning non-surgical treatment, without any long-term problems. A few patients, however, will require surgery. Over 95% will then be relieved of their heel pain.

Tell me this is not what is going on here - also shouldn't it have been caught by physical?

Posted by: zornskins | August 12, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I had plantar fasciitis, and let me tell you, this is no joke.

It feels like someone is driving a nail through the bottom of your foot with every step; not pleasant, at all.

I got it from wearing nothing but flip flops in San Diego two summers ago. It took a year and a half before it was fully healed. Until then, it would feel good, at times, but always flared up again.

I had to get custom orthotics made, and do all this stretching. Tight calf muscles and heel chord, and a high arch are the culprit. Often times, this can be a pre cursor to an Achilles injury. Cortisone can alleviate the pain, but does not address the underlying problem.

Ouch, just ouch...

Posted by: Chia Pet MD | August 12, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't Benito Mussolini one of those fasciitists?

Posted by: Plink | August 12, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Practice Squad?????????

Posted by: Great One | August 12, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

that's messed up, how you going to Marcus Mason me

Posted by: Great One | August 12, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

It's possible he's unable to think while his hair is growing.

Posted by: SMACK | August 12, 2008 4:42 PM

lol!

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 12, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

This is just beautiful..... Didn't deion sanders have this ? Or someone else ? We traded for some rotten tuna.

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | August 12, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

You got to move me up, I have picked off the PDX man at least twice this season.

Remeber if you have PDX in your name, then people love you

anyway, if it is practice squad then it is practice squad, Im ready to be called up whenever you need me Coach

Posted by: Great One | August 12, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I heard this can be cured with a strict diet of Plantar's Peanuts.

Posted by: Plink | August 12, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Diagnosis: Jason Taylor's foot is structurally unsound. He will be corn hobbled all year.

Posted by: Chia Pet MD | August 12, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Plantar fasciitis is what derailed Sammy Sosa's Orioles career. Hopefully Jason Taylor's head won't start swelling to a size 8 1/2 or we're in a lot of trouble.

Posted by: Joe the Fan | August 12, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

not over freaking out, but that is a distressing injury....

memba the curse of les boules and "Mark Price"

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 12, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia Pet MD | August 12, 2008 4:45 PM

Come on, Chia, we know better than that. We all remember your appearance with that little porcelain weiner dog on "Dancing with the Ceramics." You two were the bomb.

I never believed that stuff I read about you two in the National Enquirer. Did you really say "I've got the itch for that weiner dog b&tch?"

Posted by: Mull It | August 12, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Quit you whining, GO.

We need you to post more often, that's all.

And more hustle with the jib and the jab; dive deeper on your routes, and rant with more tenacity.

Posted by: RI Roster | August 12, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Chris Wilson is buying Plantar Fasciitis dinner tonight, baby!

Posted by: SMACK | August 12, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I was misquoted by those hacks at the Enquirer, plus it was taken out of context.

It was the weiner dog who harassed me, not the other way around, but no one wants to hear that.

Posted by: Chia Pet MD | August 12, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

This stuff didn't just pop up after the trade. Do you think that the next time the 'Skins trade a second rounder they'll get an X-Ray of the guy's feet from a couple of angles?

Posted by: Mull It | August 12, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia Pet MD | August 12, 2008 5:05 PM

"I'm gonna get that sweet Chia Pet?"

Posted by: Mull It | August 12, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

It's a real honor to be picked as 'captain,' but I would feel more comfortable returning in the role of 'deputy.'

When you say blog captain I automatically think dcsween. That's my dawg.

And sfskin bagging groceries? No, nuh uh. That will not stand.

But it's problematic to put together a blog peeps list like that... I love the concept, don't get me wrong... there are just too many names at this point! MV Dame, HaikuMan, FlimFlam, etrod, 4-12, pulldownclaw, cosmofla, Mark from the future, Eagles Fan Adam, bigfish, loco mullin, TDawg, Bucktown Skins Fan, Old School, ... there are waaaaaay too many names to catch in one list.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 12, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

the MNF crew. They all suck.

Kornhieser (I love him to death) is more of an idiot than I am, Jaworski cant get any QBs cream outta his mouth…&, he has taken over Madden’s love of Favre. And, Tirico is tooooooo over the top. Who the hell wants to hear about someone’s great grandmother cleaning spider webs to support her 22 kids. Or a brother who was abducted and whose sister was tricking at the age of 10 to help her poor family afford to buy toothpaste. (Nobody wants to hear that crap!) I cant stand Tirico’s over the topness!

They need to bring back Mike Patrick, McGuire, & Joey T!

Posted by: Lipty: MNF | August 12, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Yes Sir

Posted by: Great One | August 12, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Megskin!!?!!

There are just so many peeps who've made a real difference up here in the past two years.

Blogging our guts out. That's what we do.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 12, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Mull It,

This is a soft tissue injury, the result of a structurally unsound foot compounded by bad bio mechanics.

This would not have shown up on an x ray, and the ballet slippers only exacerbated a pre existing condition.

Posted by: Chia Pet MD | August 12, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

37rdteenth!!!!

Posted by: Ms. tittiesdragonfloor | August 12, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Great One, all due respeck, dude, I don't recall having been picked off by you this season or ever.

Please send the game footage to the league office for immediate review.

Adding "PDX" to your name is no guarantee of being beloved or being located in Portland or anything. In that regard it's like adding "Great" to your name.

I kid, I kid...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 12, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Joe the Fan | August 12, 2008 4:59 PM

No, Sammy's O's "career" was derailed by 1) lack of juice 2) his own whifftastic ways 3) uncorked bats

Posted by: Brian McNamara | August 12, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Who could ever forget Chia Pet in the wake of the weiner dog scandal: "The b-tch set me up!"

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 12, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Nate,

The reason you don't remember being picked off by Great One is because you were lying unconscious on the turf, with blood oozing from your chinstrap, the result of a teeth rattling blind side hit by Fake Nate, who snuck on the field during pre game warm ups.

Of course you don't remember.

Posted by: Chia Pet MD | August 12, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

can we sign the kicker cut by the dolphins already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: come on now!!!! | August 12, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

After giving you the smelling salts, I sent you to the bench for a cold beer, and it hasn't been spoken of since.

Until right now, that is.

Posted by: Chia Pet MD | August 12, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Could JT have gotten PF from dancing in those tight, hard-soled shoes?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Sala'vea have Plantar Fasciitis? If I recall, he was able to play through it. Not sure how painful it is though.

Posted by: JinxMan7997 | August 12, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Chia, at this point it helps to have a selective blog memory and just blame "Zachification," the cumulative effect of absorbing so many jarring virtual hits up here.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 12, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Could JT have gotten PF from dancing in those tight, hard-soled shoes?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 5:30 PM

----------

Wearing tight fitting shoes without proper arch support and then loading the feet on that hard surface, with such repetitive force only hastened the underlying issue; the structurally unsound foot, and the attendant inflammation of the sheathing on the bottom of that same foot.

Posted by: Chia Pet MD | August 12, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Not sure how painful it is though.

Posted by: JinxMan7997 | August 12, 2008 5:34 PM

----------

Imagine someone driving a nail through the bottom of your heel every time you take a step.

Posted by: Chia Pet MD | August 12, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Without having examined Jason Taylor, I can't speak to the severity of the injury, but it has the potential to affect him for many months to come.

Rest, Ice, Compression and Prayer.

Posted by: Chia Pet MD | August 12, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Here's my tip to Jason Taylor in regards to his plantar fasciitis. SNAP IT!

"It is often better for the tendon to fully snap to accelerate the healing process, with St Kilda legend Robert Harvey famously jumping off his kitchen table to tear his."

Posted by: kost52 | August 12, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

It's FOOTBALL people! If i can do my job everyday including being on my feet much of it, then JT can man up and do his. I'm sure he has much better access to drugs and physical therapy/massage than i did

Posted by: downtheshoregal | August 12, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Not a bad recommendation. kost.

Posted by: Chia Pet MD | August 12, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Not that simple downtheshoregal; This is a chronic condition, one that requires being off your feet to fully heal.

Otherwise, it'll be quiet, then flare up again, then be quiet, then flare up again.

Kost's recommendation does seem like one worth exploring.

Posted by: Chia Pet MD | August 12, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Here's my tip to Jason Taylor in regards to his plantar fasciitis. SNAP IT!

Posted by: kost52 | August 12, 2008 6:03 PM
===========

He's too pretty to be in a cast.

Posted by: Anonymous? | August 12, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Went to the Redskins store today (@ Dulles Town Center).

Man, that was sweet. You DC-area folks don't know how good you have it.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 12, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Bought my wife a pair of Dansko shoes and inserts and her PF stopped bothering her. It has been over three years. Needless to say she only wears Dansko shoes.

However, if it flairs up again, I know what to recommend thanks to Kost!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 12, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Is plantar whatever the same thing Joe Salavea always suffered from? For him it was almost debilitating, wasn't it?

Posted by: Mike H. | August 12, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

FROM BANKONEN, July 27....

Corkczar,

++++Keep beating your tired drum. Jason Taylor has been in the league forever - always called a tweener - and always stopping the run. Yeah! Check out his injury history as well. The dude is too quick. There is more than one way to skin a fox.

Keep posting your negativity until it happens and then tell us your right. Eight years of stopping the run and playing every game - all of a sudden the guy will get hurt because of two games against the Giants? Maybe, if you keep the negative nellie chicken shcite mantra.--BANGKOKEN ++++

I confess. It was my Negativity that caused Taylor to hurt his foot "Dancing with the Stars." Gad, I thought he'd at least get hurt PLAYING FOOTBALL.

Old guys are injury prone. Hope it's minor, but as many have posted, that's a BIG DEAL injury.

Dammit.

Posted by: Corkczar | August 12, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

+++Is it Georgia, Gladys?

Posted by: Redcoat | August 12, 2008 1:40 PM+++

Yup. Hope the name was a clue...

GLADYS knight "Midnight train to Georgia"

Reba MACINtire "Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia"

RAY Charles "Georgia on My Mind"

Posted by: Gladys MacInray & V. Putin | August 12, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Not uncommon at all for this condition to not manifest itself until later in adult life; mid to late thirties.

Jason Giambi also suffered from plantar faciitis, but recovered well enough to play DH and run the bases; not all hope is lost for Jason, by any means,

but this is NOT good news...

Posted by: Chia Pet MD | August 12, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Beating a dead horse now, and this is my final thought:

Good bye quick first step and explosiveness. Depending on how bad Jason's stabbing heel pain is, it's one of those injuries that's always in the back of your mind; hard not to be gingerly, post PF.

Cortisone will help only in the short term.

Posted by: Chia Pet MD | August 12, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia Pet MD | August 12, 2008 5:44 PM

------------------

Posted by: JinxMan7997 | August 12, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia Pet MD | August 12, 2008 5:44 PM

------------------

Sounds pretty painful, but I'm sure he's dealt with worse. They'll just have to wrap and tape that bad boy up tightly on gameday. I'm sure the $8 million dollar man can manage.

Posted by: JinxMan7997 | August 12, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Laverneous Coles have Plantar Fasciitis when he played for the Skins?

Posted by: Lisa | August 12, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

***sound of dying horse***

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Taylor will play. He knows how we fans will be if he doesn't. Anyone know a good tattoo shop in DC?

Posted by: shantee | August 12, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know a good tattoo shop in DC?

Posted by: shantee | August 12, 2008 7:28 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post... computer didn't auto refresh

Posted by: JinxMan7997 | August 12, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

I went on the foxsports website and had this headline: "Raiders boost D, agree to terms with Archuleta"

Boost??? LOL!!! Yeah, it'll boost them to become the worst defense!

Posted by: rx985 | August 12, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

drama queens all around. this will have little to no effect on Taylor. He'll probably be sore for a few days after each game and won't practice much.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Fatty's Tattoo
1333 Conn. Ave
202-452-0999

James is the man, or at least he was when I went to him, two years ago; can't go wrong.

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 12, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

This is the kind of craziness that the bungles saved us from. A big hearty thank you to the tigers!

JOHNSON WANTS TO BE OCHO CINCO, LEGALLY
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 12, 2008, 7:24 p.m. EDT
Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson was fined $5,000 for wearing “Ocho Cinco” on the back of his jersey before a game in 2006.

To avoid getting fined, Johnson hasn’t done it since then. But Johnson now has a plan for how he can get away with having “Ocho Cinco” spelled out over the “85″ on his back.

We’ve learned that Johnson has taken the first steps in the state of Florida toward legally changing his last name to Ocho Cinco.

Seriously.

If Johnson follows through on this, his actual, legal name will be Chad Ocho Cinco, and the NFL would then (we assume) allow him to put his new last name on the back of his jersey.

From a business standpoint, this might be Chad’s way of picking up some of the extra cash that he wants to make but that the team has said it won’t give him. The jersey would instantly become one of the NFL’s top sellers, and NFL players get a cut of all sales of their jerseys.

In recent interviews, including one on ESPN Monday night, Johnson has made veiled references about future plans that he has said will change the way fans think about him. This is a strange one, to say the least.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 12, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

drama queens all around.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 7:48 PM

----------

drama king, thank you very much.

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 12, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

no problem you repetitive piece of clay. my foot hurts, it hurts. strap on a set.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

As far as Chad legally changing his last name to Ocho Cinco,

Why the heck not? He's already the weirdest dude in the NFL. Might as well go all out. Dial it up 24/7: 1-800-NFL-WEIRD

Reminds me of that guy "He Hate Me," and his fantasy football counterpart "He Nate Me."

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 12, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

This concerns me...

Now they say he can rest it when he needs to, which means he may be inconsitent in the line up. How is it that this is not picked up in a physical? Obviously, this is a chronic condiditon. Too high of a draft pick for this sh**!!!

Did he have this when he was foxtrottin'?

Posted by: sicwidit | August 12, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Did he have this when he was foxtrottin'?

Posted by: sicwidit | August 12, 2008 8:39 PM

See earlier post from Dr. Pet. He could have gotten it, or at least exascerbated it foxtrottin'.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

The NFL needs Favre not to get hurt this weekend, so they asked the Redskins to sit the defensive threats.

This whole league is orchestrated.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse