Taylor Departs -- Ever So Slowly

Jason Taylor just left the building, and it was not a pretty sight. Taylor's left leg remains in a boot and he was walking with a cane, ever so gingerly and looking nothing like a stud NFL defensive end. Taylor was moving toward his car, finished for the day at Redskins Park, it would seem, and had a team employee carrying some boxes for him.

I am not a doctor and I am not basing this next opinion on medicine or science. Going strictly by observation, anyone who watched Taylor lurch out of the building would find it hard to believe that this is a man who is going to be on a football field any time soon. It was a striking scene.

An elite athlete's body often heals unbelievably quickly and Taylor has a history of, obviously, not missing games. He is a supreme athlete in superb condition. But, as he said Wednesday, It could be a few weeks before he plays again or maybe several months. And his departure really was a reminder of how serious his compartment syndrome could have been.

Initially, he resisted having surgery early Monday morning. Had he continued to do so, doctors told him "you'd be done" playing football, Taylor recalled Wednesday. "You would get drop foot [that affects the ability to raise a foot at the ankle] and be done. I still was a hard head.

"Sometimes the things that make you good can be your demise, too. I didn't want to do it. I wanted to wait. I wanted to let God try to heal it up some. But sometimes, I guess you got to help Him out."

For more on Taylor's frightening injury -- one that is extremely rare in the NFL -- check out Jason Reid's story today.

By Jason La Canfora  |  September 25, 2008; 11:56 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: An Unrestricted Preview of Skins-Cowboys
Next: Kelly Not Ready for Sunday; Heyer May Start

Comments

this is not good

Posted by: hard work | September 25, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Practice Update
Barry Svrluga reports that Mike Sellers is practicing in full pads. Stephon Heyer also out there. Neither practiced yesterday.

Posted by: Cindy | September 25, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

"I am not a doctor..."

Posted by: Stating The Obvious | September 25, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I have been to the great wall of China, I have seen the pyramids at Giza, I've even seen a grown man satisfy a camel, but I have never seen a less impressive professional athletic facility than Redskins Park.

Posted by: Kornheiser | September 25, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

BTW, saw a person with this hat on, but the brim was flat.... horrible

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 11:57 AM

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Was there a black hefty bag involved?

Posted by: SMACK | September 25, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

it's a long season. the 2nd half is more important than the first half. with rest and rehab, i'm sure that he'll be much more of a factor in november and december. evans and wilson can hold the fort til he gets back. they should be fresh. jason needs the rest. he's beat up. this could turn out to be a blessing.

Posted by: tbarz | September 25, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

For the Riggo vs. Davis argument here's the numbers:

Riggins: 114 games--1988 carries, 7,472 yards, 3.76 ypc, 79 tds.

Davis: 99 games--1383 carries, 5,790 yards, 4.19 ypc, 45 tds.

Riggins played what shakes out to an extra season and had way more TDs, but only ran for 4 ypc in a season twice. Davis could have caught him in yards without the close to 2,000 carries. Too close to call in my opinion...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 25, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Flag on brownwood for "could have caught him".
No coulda woulda shoulda; no crying in baseball, or some such as. It is what it is.

Posted by: fill for Zebra | September 25, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

But - and I was thinking about this very thing this morning - When Riggins was the back, and the Redskins were winning with less than, oh say 8 minutes left in the game - the Riggo Drill just iced the game. They knew just was coming and, at John's peak, no one could stop it. Redskins up by one score, less than 8 minutes left, 'Skins with the ball, put it in the book.

Huge single player impact, though the Hogs do get some credit.

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 25, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

LH,

There had to be something else to it, or the Skins coaching staff, or the commentators would have said something.

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 11:45 AM

Flounder you give the analysts waaay too much credit. One reason it may have escaped notice or didn't merit mentioning by Skins's staff is because it didn't cost the team the game. Plus, on Monday, Vinny had everyone on high alert about something or another. Whatever it was escapes me right now but I am sure I will be reminded at some point today.

Posted by: LH | September 25, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Davis was a heckuva back...but I could never forgive him for getting 'stole by Westbrook.

Case closed.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | September 25, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Huge single player impact, though the Hogs do get some credit.

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 25, 2008 12:25 PM
---------------------------------------
I'm glad someone remembers my impact on the team and the history of the game.

Posted by: riggins44 | September 25, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Also, God comes first, school + church second, 'skins third. Not exactly an unreasonable priority chart.

Posted by: Karen | September 24, 2008 10:38 PM

Um, where is family on that list? Looks like family is nowhere to be found. Leave to crazy religious folks to put god above family. Wild, wild stuff.

Posted by: What about? | September 25, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

LH, Love the wit and sarcasm.

Posted by: riggins44 | September 25, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Flag on brownwood for "could have caught him".

Posted by: fill for Zebra | September 25, 2008 12:23 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah..and no sex in the champagne room...blah blah blah...

All I'm saying is that it's not all that fair a comparison because Riggins had one more season and about 600 more carries than Davis. At 4.1 ypc, Davis would be able to catch the yards but not the TDs.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 25, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

F Dallas

Posted by: CoSKins | September 25, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Dudes, I have a lot of love for Stephen Davis, and he was one of the few bright spots in the mostly dismal Norv years, but I would never put him ahead of Riggo.

Putting aside what would be a very close comparison based on statistics, John Riggins (and, yes, the blockers in front of him) executed the greatest single play in franchise history, 70 Chip, to win the franchise's first league title.

It doesn't denigrate Stephen Davis to say he was a lesser figure to this franchise than Riggo. It just bears noting that Riggo's heroism, his place in the panteon of Redskin glory, transcends statistics. It was a great career, and he was a great character, and it was capped by that brilliant moment, a play we all cherish.

(Good golly, just thinkin' about 70 Chip has me all fired up! Hail to 'em!)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 25, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

First Super Bowl, not first league title, sorry, got a little excited...

Heal quickly, Jason Taylor. I hope we need you down the stretch when we're playing meaningful games in November and December...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 25, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

chode sauce?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 25, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Learned Hand, love seeing you in the mix up here. Great stuff the past few days.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 25, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Hear hear, Nate! Quite Poetic, I must say

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 25, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Nate,
I remember the call like it was yesterday.

"Goal line, goal line. I-Left, Tight Wing, 70-Chip on White."

Posted by: Joe T. | September 25, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I always had a soft spot for Riggo, myself.

Posted by: Sandra Day O'Conner | September 25, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

BTW, saw a person with this hat on, but the brim was flat.... horrible

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 11:57 AM

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 12:20 PM
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reminds me of those dumb zebra pants. Back in the mid-90's my dad got a pair of those stupid zebra pants (Redskins themed) from my aunt and uncle for X-mas.

Needless to say I never ever saw my dad wear those pants and they "found" their way to the back and bottom of the closet.

Posted by: Zebra's Suck | September 25, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

F calves injuries from random kicks...that will be like 10 games missed by the time this adds up...

Taylor will make a quick recovery...

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 25, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

chode=limp peni s?

Posted by: aa | September 25, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

SD is one of my all time faves. F Spurrier eternally for what he did to him....but Riggo def is above SD....

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 25, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget that Riggo introduced Dexter Manley to cocaine,

Posted by: etrod | September 25, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 25, 2008 12:34 PM

I don't care one way or the other in the argument (both are beloved in my book), but since both guys have a similar style of play, wouldn't it stand to reason that if Davis ran behind the Hogs he'd have put up even better numbers and won Super Bowls and if Riggo played for Norv he wouldn't be nearly as revered by Redskin Nation?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 25, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

There was a doctor on ESPN first take that says JT will be out 4-6 weeks.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 25, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

They were called Zubazz actually

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Dexter, come over to this glass coffee table, I want you to meet a good friend of mine...

Posted by: Riggo | September 25, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Could be brownwood, but then we would have never heard "I'm bored, I'm broke and I'm back"

From a statistics point of view, you've got a point - but Riggins had that outlandish character, and then backed it up on the field.

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 25, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I am still puking my guts out over how many players (we up to 3 right) have been sidelined due to random kicks to calves....so weird....

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 25, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Man J Caca is quick with the negative updates. While reading you can hear the glee in his voice and know he giggles in happiness with news such as this.

It's sickening.

J Caca, please do the honorable thing and resign your post.

Please.

Posted by: Hater | September 25, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the cleats this season were made in China, and have some weird poison like chemical compound like the pet and baby food...

I mean I am at a loss here!

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 25, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 25, 2008 12:44 PM

That's the interesting part of the argument: SD was a pretty quiet guy from what I remember and Riggo is a larger than life character. Do we love Riggo for his big character or his big production? He's in the HOF with a less that 4 ypc average and less that 8,000 yards, but the quiet Art Monk took 8 years to get in with stats that were the best all-time when he retired. I love them both, but you've got to admit there's a bit of a disconnect there...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 25, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps using the old leg warmer design, Bike or Nike could come up with a calf protective pad. It would be sleek and stylish, and harken back to the 80s, you know, when the team was winning Super Bowls. The Flashdance song could play as the Skins exited the tunnel, and they could all run in place to that jaunty "I'm a maniac" part as the cheerleaders stood by, hands on hips, with "What are you trying to pull, girlfriend?" expressions on their faces. If that wouldn't intimidate opposing players, nothing would.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 25, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

In the annals of Skins history there truly is no comparison, Riggo is god. Davis was great for us, was one of the only bright spots of some very dark years.

Posted by: Stu | September 25, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 25, 2008 12:44 PM

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 25, 2008 12:48 PM

That's why they call it the Hall of Fame not the Hall of Skill or the Hall of Talent.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 25, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Brownwood - point taken - Hard to say - Riggins sought the spotlight, and usually showed up when it was pointed at him - but you're right - it's combination of the character and performance - Joe Namath probably has a little bit of that too - he threw a lot of picks in his career.

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 25, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Yea guys, it is a long season...but for games to be meaningful in Nov-Dec, you gotta take care of biz in Sept-Oct...this is a big loss, make no mistake. But don't make the bigger mistake of thinking we can't rebound from this. Nothing could be more devastating, more permanent, more catastrophic than losing our other - our only - Taylor last year. I'm not trying to compare these two occurences because there is none, I'm merely making the point that this is a resilient bunch with a new coach that has an attitude. They will be fine. Assuming we lose the next two even if he was in, we should be able to take care of Rams, Browns and Lions...so as long as he's back by Pittsburgh in Week 9, we should be fine. Get well soon 55, we're gonna need ya!

HTTR

Posted by: Notorious LMG | September 25, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Riggo had more than 11,000 yards, 100 TDs, was top 5 all time upon retiring.

Posted by: Statistician | September 25, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

What type of menu is everyone planning on cooking for the big game this weekend?

Posted by: Henry Hog | September 25, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

There was a doctor on ESPN first take that says JT will be out 4-6 weeks.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 25, 2008 12:43 PM

More importantly, did this doctor stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 25, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

No gonna say that Taylor being out isnt big, it is it's huge. But this gives us a great opportunity to use Evens and Wilson and james. rotating them could be a benifit as well. One of my biggest suprises of this team is how conditioned they look in the fourth quarter. Portis was saying this teram did more Aug 2 a days then "any football team in history". having more rotation on this line will hlep even more in the 4th quarter. Yuo have these guys rotating staying fresh it will help out even more, not that Taylor was dragging us down in the 4th, just another way to look at it.

Posted by: Stu | September 25, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

LH - I think they called it back because the Unnecessary (sp?) roughness call came before thomas was in the End Zone and the ball was being released at that very time.

If it came AFTER he actually scored, then I think you'd be correct.......

You still need to come by and have a drink with me or something, too. I'll try to email you later on........

Posted by: 4th | September 25, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Oh no! It's a disaster! After all, Taylor was such a vital part of Washington's playoff run last season!

Oh, wait, no he wasn't. They'll be OK. They might be better off with him in the rotation, but they're hardly dog-meat without him.

Posted by: Albert | September 25, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu | September 25, 2008 12:57 PM

I was thinking this as well. Also, the size may help with the run game.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 25, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

It's sickening.

Posted by: Hater | September 25, 2008 12:45 PM

I agree. Its as if he was ready to say "Its Vinnies fault its Vinnies fault!" But I'm sure that angle has already been written for a later post.

Posted by: Anti-Colt | September 25, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skinz | September 25, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

henry;

If that is a serious question, here is a serious answer.

Well, there is a native american festival that day on the susquehanna, so if we go there, Buffalo Burger!!

If not, prolly Spaghetti w/ Sausage.

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Really make a statement -I'm thinking burgundy jerseys, no pants. Should be good for at least one fumble by Tony, won't be able to keep his hands to himself

Posted by: Notorious LMG | September 25, 2008 11:38 AM

Now that is funny, I dont care who you are.

Posted by: LOL!!!!! | September 25, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Brownwood - Riggo was waaay better. But, he also had a legendary line to run behind.

Gibbs 2.0 tried to apply this with today's Redskins and I'm not sure they brought in completely. I base that off of Portis' rant the other week before he tried steal that bama named B Mitch......

(trying to use the vocabulary we have learned here on RI)

Posted by: 4th | September 25, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Riggins was faster and less injury prone than Davis. He was the most dominating player at his position for a period of time and defensive players have mentioned how much the disliked playing against him. Davis is barely remembered outside of our fanbase. Davis was never a dominating player and I don't think he ever scared anyone.

Posted by: Kcjdlj | September 25, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Henry Hog | September 25, 2008 12:55 PM
Well its Dallas and I am doing the, theam for the team meals this season. So I am doing Alex's tripple meat chili. Last week was Mole Chicken. Next week Cheese Steaks.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 25, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

They were called Zubazz actually

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 12:43 PM

Whatever they were called they were hidious. They were almost as bad as those Hypercolor clothes.

You all remember Hypercolor don't ya?

Posted by: Zebra's Suck | September 25, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Thats great skinz

I have been thinking of a vanity plate up here

HL2SKNZ
REDSKINS
REDSKINZ (if the above is taken)
SKINZ1
SKNZ1
SKNZONE (although this looks more like Skin Zone... my new porn movie production company!_)
FEMBOYS (could be misintepreted as FEm BOYS.. F-EM BOYS)

WASKINS
WASKINZ
RALJON1 ;)

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

... Is it safe? Is there Skins talk actually happening Cowboy week? I had to go SCREAMING into the night from this site a while back. It just got ridiculous. I could only stomach reading the updates. Seems like we are getting back to normal, maybe? For my part going to the last two home games was sheer joy. Lets see how we do for our last game in that DUMP in Irving. Actually, I hope the Skins TAKE a big dump on "dont mess with TEJAS STADIUM!" Go SKINS!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Club 320 | September 25, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

And I thank you 4th, because I'd of said BMitch went to school in Louisiana, not Alabama, and it would be kipnapping if Portis took him, not stealing. But now I know that means Portis wanted to punch that {turkey} Brian Mitchell.

Posted by: so white. so very white. | September 25, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I respect the hell out of both riggo and davis. But am too young to remember Riggo. Both had similar styles for sure, hard runners. whoever told Spurier to dump Davis was a moron and should have been fired on the spot.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 25, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Dad chases nude boy from daughter's room with pipe

DELTONA, Fla. -- An angry Deltona father whacked his teenage daughter's boyfriend with a metal pipe after finding the boy naked in his daughter's room. Authorities say the father, 45, didn't even know his daughter had a boyfriend or that the youngster had been sneaking into the home for more than a year.

When he heard noises coming from his daughter's bedroom Thursday morning and saw a stranger standing naked on the girl's bed, he swung a metal pipe. He then chased the teen out the front door and called police.

The boy was taken to the hospital where doctors closed a head wound with staples.

I would have just shot the little bastard.

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Yes Suck;

Or more commonly known as the best thing to happen to OP and Acid takers everywhere!

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking this as well. Also, the size may help with the run game.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 25, 2008 1:00 PM

This can definelty help with the run . Teams had the game plan to run right at Taylor, and so far power running teams have ran on us. With Barber this week it will help a lot to get some bulk there. Fresh rotating angy bulk.

Posted by: Stu | September 25, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

So true, Flounder. so true.

Posted by: etrod | September 25, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I know this is a blog and most of you equate using proper spelling with contracting a case of venereal disease but I find myself proofreading posts anyway(force of habit). I think Nate's posts are the only ones I've never found a typo in until now: "panteon". He is human.
Let the abuse begin.

Posted by: Mad Dog | September 25, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I would have just shot the little bastard.

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 1:08 PM

And you'd be in jail and charged with attempted murder.

I say you should fry. Fry little piggy fry.

Posted by: Mr. Policeman | September 25, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Mad Dog,

Do not proof read my stuff you might go insane.

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Shoot first, ask questions later.

Makes me feel better about myself and whatever personal insecurities I'm dealing with (usually part of it is having a small "pistol")

Posted by: NRA 4 Life | September 25, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

And you'd be in jail and charged with attempted murder.

I say you should fry. Fry little piggy fry.

Posted by: Mr. Policeman | September 25, 2008 1:13 PM

Yeh but that little bastard would not be doing my daughter anymore.

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Yeh but that little bastard would not be doing my daughter anymore.

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 1:15 PM

Still gonna be doing that when your daughter is 17, 18, 22, 35?

Talk about overprotective ignorance.

Posted by: Reality | September 25, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Flound, agreed. Can you say, shallow grave with plenty of lime.

The worst part of it was that the father turned HIMSELF in.

Posted by: Greg | September 25, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Mad Dog, I was in some kind of ecstatic state over 70 Chip/Riggo up there, kind of went out of my head, screwed up the spelling and the league title/SB title thing in that post... usually I minimize the spelling/grammar gaffes and focus on making errors in judgment or pompous statements that belie an almost total ignorance of the game of fubball...

What can I say, it's Dallas week, when the spirit takes me I go with it, bro!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 25, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

How old was the daughter? 14? yeah, I'd have shot the bastard too.

18?

21?

Not so clear there without her age. And the potentially dead boyfriends age too.

Posted by: A Dad reserving judgement | September 25, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey man, I don't think he should be charged with nothing.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 25, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

The problem was he didnt know about the boyfirend. So originally he thought it was some stranger standing over his daughters bed nekkid...

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Hey man, I don't think he should be charged with nothing, any boy who's old enough to have sex is old enough to be a man and at least introduce himself to the father.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 25, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 25, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm so glad that Jason knows nothing of football injuries or generally anything he is talking about. He'll be gone for a couple of weeks for sure but it's not judgment day. Go Jason Reid.

Posted by: fredrick | September 25, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

This is just another reason, in a long line of them, why I will never have kids.

So I don't have to be super-protective dad (which I'm guessing all good dads are) to their daughters.

Plus I couldn't stand to have my daughter to go off to college and turn into one of those girls who goes to gyms to workout and dresses like a sorostitue. Or a girl who appears on Girls Gone Wild.

Posted by: Childless Adult | September 25, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Yeh but that little bastard would not be doing my daughter anymore.

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 1:15 PM

Still gonna be doing that when your daughter is 17, 18, 22, 35?

Talk about overprotective ignorance.

Posted by: Reality | September 25, 2008 1:17 PM

Reality,

Stop taking everything that you read on a blog so seriously.

Reality maybe if it was your daughter you would have made them some sandwiches.

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Childless Adult | September 25, 2008 1:26 PM

You are giving me a headache I have to daughters, they are to young for me to have to worry about this now, but it's coming.

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

The boy was 17 the mans daugther was 44.

The Robinson family was quite upset that Ben was there unanounced.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 25, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

This whole thing just happened to a guy that works for one of my bosses here too. His daughter was 15. He's in jail.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 25, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I think someone on are defense should imagine Romo messing with his daughter, and then show Romo how us dads feel about that.

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Fake Skins lycence plate 281HOF

Posted by: 35332 | September 25, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 1:29 PM

Sooner than you think.

Honestly, if I walked in to my daughter's room and saw some guy I've never seen before standing naked on her bed I'd assume the worst and try to kill him before he touched my daughter.

Later after finding out who he was, I'd have to kill my daughter as well.

Posted by: etrod | September 25, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Nate, I understand completely. I am trying to convince myself this is not a huge game, but watching it with a bunch of Giant fans on national TV leaves me feeling exposed to some unnecessary abuse should we get blown out. I'm sure by Sunday morning though I will be foaming at the mouth. HTTR.

Posted by: Mad Dog | September 25, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Or pass Monty or Goldy a note

Dear Monty/Goldy,
Career Tony and I am yours.
xoxo
-Jessica

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 25, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Scamp,

I do not see the issue the guy could of thought his daughter was in trouble.

This guy should not have been charged with anything he chased an intruder from his house.

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 1:29 PM
-------------------------

Sorry but it gets worse. We (me and my old lady) get to spend all of our disposable income on ourselves. Don't have to tuck any of it away under our mattress to pay for the kids college or anything else they may want/need.

Posted by: Childless Adult | September 25, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

mad dog,

I could live with a loss, but it would take until Wednesday for me to stop being pissed off about it.

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Wow. The skins getting wrecked by injuries, AGAIN. This franchise can never catch a break.

Posted by: BMAC | September 25, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

FYI, Steinz has a little something up his sleeve:

Posted by: Cindy | September 25, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Scamp,

I do not see the issue the guy could of thought his daughter was in trouble.

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 1:34 PM

Preaching to the choir brother.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 25, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

It would take me till the next win.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 25, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

henry;

If that is a serious question, here is a serious answer.

If not, prolly Spaghetti w/ Sausage.

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 1:00 PM

It was a serious question. I take Cowgirlz week very seriously, and am planning my menu as we speak... errr type.

I'm always curious to see what others do to cook/plan for away games.

Posted by: Henry Hog | September 25, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy | September 25, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Regarding breaks - yeah, injury wise - a weird year - but hey - in two games - 3 tipped balls for interceptions - I'd like to say that's more than we've had in the past 2 YEARS!

So we're getting some breaks!

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 25, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BMAC | September 25, 2008 1:36 PM

BMAC,

Not true.

What starter is out other than JT?

This team is relatively injury free. A few nicks here and there (plus JT), but all in all they are doing fine.

However -

Dallas is a big, fast, and punishing team, particularly on defense. If the Skins lose, it will be a pseudo-victory if they get out of town without major injury to starter(s).

They have been fortunate to date in this regard.

Posted by: GAD | September 25, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

This really makes you look stupid. He just had surgery. How in the hell should he be walking?

Posted by: jm220 | September 25, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I think I'm going to go out to the local Kroger's, find me a dallas fan all decked in blue and white with that stupid star, rope 'im in, strap him to the top of my ve-hick-le, take 'im on home and roast 'im over my backyard pit, and feed 'im to my dog.

That's what I'm going to do.

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 25, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, that is an awesome clip... love Steinbog's multimedia work...

I'm a little perplexed by what sounds like a lite version of the Clash's "Straight to Hell" which plays over the ending of that clip. Not that you or Steinz probably know anything about it, but that seems like an odd choice. Or maybe I have it wildly wrong and that's a song all the kids are listening to now.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 25, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Shuler's pockets straight

F Dallas

Posted by: Rep. Heath Shuler (D-NC) | September 25, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

FROM THE DESK OF VINNY CERRATO

Memo #367

Dear staff:

Again my sincere thanks for all the work you’ve been doing for me helping to get Jason La Can(‘t)fora a fired at the Washington “Pest” (Pest? Get it?)

Nice, imaginative use of fake screen names and cities to throw them off the scent. The whole “aren’t you fired yet?” Big Lie that Karl Rove was kind enough to suggest, appears to be working.

One problem. Since none of you are spending any time with your regular jobs, we ended up making a terrible mistake this week. We cut a perfectly good linebacker from our Practice Squad and replaced him with the youngest member of the acting Baldwin Clan. “Johnny” Baldwin.

I really like Alec on Saturday Night Live doing that “Schweddy Balls” routine. Now, THAT’s comedy.

Here’s the trouble. “Johnny” is a girl. A large-boned lass to be sure, but NOT a boy. This is the biggest mistake I’ve made since I thought a note said “Malcolm Kelly fills our worst need, ” when it actually said “Malcolm Kelly has the worst knees.” (My bad on that one.)

So back to the grindstone guys. Yes, of course, we know your juvenile taunts and calls for a reporter just doing his job to be fired is classless and embarrasses our once proud franchise, but that’s the kind of organization I’m running here. So keep up the good work.

Posted by: Vinny | September 25, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

jm220 went off the deep end.

Posted by: Joe Strummer | September 25, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Nate, thats that girl singer group with the gunshots in the song... done know the name

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Jasno, you should call the Dept. of Motor Vehicles and let them know about Jason's condition and whether it tampers with his ability to drive.

Maybe Vinny could give him a ride home?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 25, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Joe Strummer,

No I really haven't. But to me that was just a stupid damn statement by him. I mean really he had surgery 4 days ago. Do you know of anyone that gone under the knife and was fine 4 days later? I mean really!

Posted by: jm220 | September 25, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Found it

MIA - British Singer, called paper planes

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Karen | September 24, 2008 10:38 PM

No, the customer comes first.

Posted by: Every Hooker in the World | September 25, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I just got a bad case of the drop foot reading this...someone please elate me, FAST!

Posted by: POOP | September 25, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE' UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES
As always, brought to you by YAHOO!

OK, the dustup this week between JLa and Vinny is just too juicy to ignore. Lets be clear, it is a tempest in a teapot.

JLa needs to look in the mirror about his motivations. I'm sure he can rationalize his actions, but would he have done this if he respected Vinny? If not, then he needs to rethink his approach. None of us "know" his motivations.

On Vinny's side, his outrage was as phony as it gets. Vinny knows there was nothing to fear. Instead, he bit hard and decided to go after JLa, and it had little to do with this phone call. It was a chance to take JLa down and he was going to do it. Vinny made this into a story, not JLa.

What is the real problem? Vinny has something that Jason NEEDS. Access. But he has closed that door. Jason has something Vinny CRAVES, but isn't critical to him. Ink. Lots of ink and lots of readers. Vinny obviously cares about the media. He has his own 4 hour show and his boss owns multiple media properties.

Vinny probably makes 10x what JLa makes and greater access to power (via Danny's money). Because Vinny has something JLa needs, but JLa only has something Vinny wants, Vinny has more 'power' in this situation.

As of now, if JLa finds something worth reporting on, he just goes with it because Vinny won't respond to him. A good reporter asks for both sides, but if one side choses not to comment, there's still a story to report.

My suggestion. Vinny does what a real man would do. Call JLa into his office and provide him access. In return, tell JLa he can't be doing stupid stuff like call the league office about tampering without touching bases with him first.

Then give JLa a 'story' that is worth getting (say an inside look into what Vinny saw in Zorn). A good faith gesture. Vinny can't expect JLa to "be fair" without access.

Cindy could facilitate the process.

Vinny needs to understand the WaPo brought down a United States president with a couple of (then) schlub reporters. Does Vinny really think WaPo mgmt is fearful of him?

Both guys should take the opportunity to make this relationship better for both parties. This pissing match does nothing for either party. But it hurts Vinny worse since he has more to lose.

Vinny needs to recall the old truism: you don't fight with people that by ink by the ton. Or perhaps, closer to his lineage, "hold your friends close and your enemies closer"

And thats ZEKE' UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES, as always, brought to you by YAHOO!

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 25, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

we just better not give up 4 TDs to freakin TO again or i'll break my tv. My GF is a cowgirl fan and if i have to hear it from her all week long I might catch a charge!

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 25, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

FYI, Steinz has a little something up his sleeve:

Posted by: Cindy | September 25, 2008 1:36 PM

I wonder if Smoot has a sofa with 15-yard cushions.

Posted by: SMACK | September 25, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

"girl singer group with the gunshots in the song?" Okay, I'm gonna need a little more help on this.

(Trying not to get all Grampa McWhitebread here, but clearly I'm out of touch with the yoots.)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 25, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

JM, keep reading....the point is that initial reports have Taylor back on the field in as soon as a week. JLC is saying that watching him walk to his car, it don't look like that's gonna happen.

Posted by: dlhaze | September 25, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Best Vanity Plate:

4 SKINZ

It's a double entendre for one low price!

Posted by: isnadd | September 25, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Rob Jackson looked like he could rush the passer in preseason. He was honorable mention Big-12 in '06. Anyone know where he is on the depth chart?

Posted by: Realness | September 25, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Joe Strummer; now there's a pop culture reference that I understand.

Posted by: so white. so very white. | September 25, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

JT isnt our first major injury. The only reason we have himn is because of a major injury to Phillip Danials, and a Major injury to Buzbee his backup, thats three ends down, find another team with that claim.

Posted by: Stu | September 25, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

dlhaze if i am not mistaken Zorn/Taylor never said he will be back in a week. They said they will see how things are in a week. A matter of fact Zorn said he didn't know. Check out Zorn 9/23 clip on skins.com.

Posted by: jm220 | September 25, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Uh, thanks for that, I think, Zebra.

Kind of a weak song to sample one of my all-time favorite tunes, but I'm probably about the 800 millionth person to register that sort of complaint, so whatevs...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 25, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu | September 25, 2008 12:51 PM

Only bright spot?!?! WTF?! Those were my Glory Years dude...

* Ken Harvey
* Irving Fryar
* Tre Thomas
* 7-1
* Henry Ellard
* Lesilie Sheppard (for 2 good years)
* Sellers 1.0
* Shawn Barber

MUST I GO ON?

(please say no because it's not much more after that)

Posted by: 4th | September 25, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

+++Not gonna say that Taylor being out isnt big, it is, it's huge.

Posted by: Stu | September 25, 2008 12:57 PM+++

Actually, losing Daniels was Huge. Against a massive line like dallas, which pass blocks so effectively, Taylor wouldn't have been much of a factor and a definite liability against the run.

If the front four can protect against the run, as it might have with Daniels, the 'skins Defense could use blitzes to get to Romo. (It might with Evans--but he's not as good)

The 'skins are not gonna get to Romo with bullrushes, the best bet is the element of surprize--the unanticipated, unblocked blitzer.

Be nice if that led to key turnovers, too.

Not only does Zorn have to call a perfect game for the 'skins to even have a chance, but so does Blache.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 25, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Me

Posted by: Beep Beep | September 25, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Well Nate;

Apparently it is a shot at Bush and others... hench the line ' all i wanna do is a (gunshots) and take your monay'

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Wolfman's got nards.

Posted by: Monster Squad | September 25, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

FYI, Steinz has a little something up his sleeve:

Posted by: Cindy | September 25, 2008 1:36 PM

I wonder if Smoot has a sofa with 15-yard cushions.

Posted by: SMACK | September 25, 2008 1:58 PM
******

Good one Smack. LOL. There isn't a 'Skin fan here that doesn't agree with you.

Posted by: splitbill | September 25, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jm220 | September 25, 2008 1:48 PM

Surgery doesn't mean they ripped open a muscle and need months to heal. Removing a wart could technically be surgery.

They made a 6 inch incision and let him bleed. They essentially gave him a deep cut. It's not that unreasonable to think he could be walking two days after - considering players have played with the same surgery the following week.

Don't let your hate of JLC get in the way of intelligent comments.

Posted by: psps23 | September 25, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Henery I have been planing my menu for the full season.

1 Sep 04 WAS 7 @ NYG - PIZZA

2 Sep 14 NO 24 @ WAS 29 - was gonna be Gumbo but I had a funeral sudenly pop up.

3 Sep 21 ARI 17 @ WAS 24 - chicken Mole

4 Sep 28 WAS @ DAL - Chili

5 Oct 05 WAS @ PHI - Cheese Steaks.

6 Oct 12 STL @ WAS - missing game for grandmas 80th birthday, if I wasn't Ribs.

7 Oct 19 CLE @ WAS - pierogi, and kielbasa

8 Oct 26 WAS @ DET - Drive through food.
9 Nov 03 PIT @ WAS - Peperoni Roll
10 Bye

11 Nov 16 DAL @ WAS - BBQ Briscut

12 Nov 23 WAS @ SEA - Salmon

13 Nov 30 NYG @ WAS - Pizza

14 Dec 07 WAS @ BAL - Crab Cakes

15 Dec 14 WAS @ CIN - Cincinati Chili

16 Dec 21 PHI @ WAS - Either Cheese Steaks again or a Hogie

17 Dec 28 WAS @ SF - Riceroni and Fish

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 25, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

jm220, I also detected a "how the mighty have fallen" subtext to Jasno's post. Here's this awesome physical specimen, coming off his sixth Pro Bowl season, 3x All-Pro, hobbling out of the building... a sad sight to see.

But since I am widely known to be a Jasno apologist/backer, you can of course discount this :)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 25, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

+++The father was charged with aggravated battery on a child and bonded out on $10,000.

I would have just shot the little bastard.

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 1:08 PM+++

What? And leave Sarah Palin's daughter a widow?

Posted by: Corkczar | September 25, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

would have just shot the little bastard.

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 1:08 PM
I'm not sure any teenage kid chasing a*s should get shot. I'm thinking of all the girls I nailed in high school and how enjoyable it was, and how the crime didn't warrant getting shot. I think Flounder either forgot how good it was to get laid in high school or maybe he waited until he was married. Now had this been an older guy say 23-24 in your teenage daughters room yeah, maybe plug a few in his rear end. But a teenage kid no way, your girl is just as guilty. You turn on the lights roll your sleeves up like a man and turn his face into flank steak, and tell him it's a warning and if you ever come here again then I'll draw heat on you. All you middle class suburbian clowns wanna act like cowboys. Stay away from the movies will you.

Posted by: Slippery Richard | September 25, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Figure I'd make myself useful and say:

BEEP BEEP

Posted by: Malcolm Kelly | September 25, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

No worries Redskins faithful....]Taylor will be back this season.

He will be needed more for the last 1/2 of the season more than the 1st half.

If we can steal on of the next 2 games.....it will be interesting.

We all know the Eagles will implode once McNabb and Westbrook get hurt again (or more...as they are already hurt). That leaves the GIANTS and DALLAS to take out...so we'll see.

Posted by: GoonieGooGoo | September 25, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

That deal Snyder struck with the Devil is really kicking us in the butt! Trade a 2nd round pick for a guy who's never missed a game -- and he plays 2 games and is never seen again.

Freakin' Snyder-ball.