Jason Taylor on time with Redskins: 'I felt like I had lost control'

On his final day at Redskins Park after the 2008 season, defensive end Jason Taylor stood in an empty parking lot and told reporters his career was not finished.

Although Taylor was hobbled by injuries during the season, uncomfortable in Washington's rigid defensive scheme and questioned his ability for the first time, he believed he could still play and planned to prove it to the Redskins and their fans. He never got the chance, though, as Washington released the six-time Pro Bowler after he declined to participate in the offseason workout program at the complex.

But Taylor is still going.

The New York Jets acquired the future Hall of Famer in April as part of their aggressive offseason plan to reach the Super Bowl this season. Taylor is a key part of Coach Rex Ryan's effective 3-4 scheme, and enjoys football more than ever as he prepares to begin his 14th season.

The Jets will play host to Washington on Friday night at New Meadowlands Stadium, providing Taylor with an opportunity to show the Redskins first-hand how he could have helped.

"I've been frustrated before in my career," Taylor said in a phone interview earlier this week. "I was 1-15 in Miami [during the 2007 season]. I had a big part in that, so I can't sit here and blame everybody else for it. So that was a frustrating year.

"But Washington was different. It was more frustrating because you kind of lose control. I felt like I had lost control. I felt like I had no real say in ... I wouldn't say it was a stretch to call it my most frustrating year. It was a rough one."

Obviously, that wasn't the plan.

Owner Daniel Snyder and Vinny Cerrato, Washington's former executive vice president of football operations, moved quickly to acquire Taylor on the first day of training camp in 2008 after veteran defensive end Phillip Daniels suffered a season-ending knee injury. They traded second- and sixth-round draft picks to the Miami Dolphins for Taylor, who was coming off an 11-sack season in 2007 and was voted the NFL's defensive player of the year in 2006. The team's communications department handed out glossy booklets of Taylor's career accomplishments prior to his introductory news conference.

But Taylor, whose weight during the season drops to about 240 pounds, was never considered an elite run-stopper, and Washington's 4-3 scheme under then-defensive coordinator Greg Blache emphasized stopping the run. Taylor, who at times operated as a de facto outside linebacker in Miami's 3-4 alignments, did not have the freedom to pursue the quarterback as he did with the Dolphins. Taylor also moved to left end to accommodate Andre Carter after playing on the right side his whole career.

Moreover, Taylor did not mesh well with Blache, who was not in favor of acquiring the six-time Pro Bowl pick, people familiar with the situation said. During a 24-10 loss to Baltimore in December of the 2008 season, Taylor was disciplined and pulled from the game because he deviated from the scheme. Blache, who retired after the 2009 season, has declined repeated interview requests to comment on his relationship with Taylor.

"It was so, 'My way or the highway.' Just strict, 'No,' to everything with Blache," Taylor said. "I was forbidden to go to the right side in Washington and that was a frustrating thing. I went to six Pro Bowls playing the right end and I go to Washington and I couldn't find my way to the right side?"

Taylor sprained his right knee in a preseason game and twice underwent surgery on his left calf to relieve acute compartment syndrome, a buildup of pressure on muscle groups. Predominantly playing left end for the first time in his career, Taylor had only 3 1/2 sacks -- his lowest total since 1999 -- in 13 games, including eight starts. "One of my mottos in football is, 'Be a player, not a patient,'" Taylor said. "And I've always been that way. But I didn't realize how serious compartment syndrome was.

"I had never had anything like that. To me it was, 'Put a little cut, drain the blood and let's go back out. Let's get back to work.' And, yeah, looking back now, I rushed back. Some guys I've talked to over the last couple of years, now that I've had it, and even talking to trainers and doctors about this, some of them said I should have been [assigned to the season-ending injured reserve list]. I did everything I could to lay it on the line for the team and. It just didn't work out."

Taylor's lack of production prompted speculation the Redskins would ask him to take a pay cut from his salary and release him if he declined. Instead, the Redskins requested to have a workout clause added to his contract, which would have resulted in the three-time all-pro receiving a bonus, believed to be $500,000, if he took part in most of the team's conditioning program.

But Taylor, who would have made $8.5 million during the final year of his contract with the Redskins, declined the request and asked to be released. The Redskins and Taylor's agent, Gary Wichard, had agreed both sides would honor the final two years of the deal, without any restructuring, before Taylor, who makes his year-round home in Miami, was traded from Miami to Washington.

Having already made many concessions to facilitate the trade, Taylor was not willing to spend more time away from his family. And the strain of the situation with Blache made it "unfair to the organization and unfair to me to be put into a situation where I couldn't make plays," Taylor said. "Greg Blache was not going to be flexible about it. He kind of had a one-track mind about what he wanted to do defensively."

Taylor re-signed with the Dolphins and had a productive season in 2009, finishing with seven sacks while playing the strong-side linebacker position for the first time. But Taylor, who turns 36 on Sept. 1, wanted something more than he believed the Dolphins could provide -- a chance to reach the Super Bowl this season.

"What the Jets did in trying to bring me in, and making it a priority to recruit me as a free agent, I think it shows how much respect they have for me and for what I could bring to the game," Taylor said. "I'm exclusively a playmaker. They've told me to just kind of go do what you do. Will I be at right end? Yeah. I'm going to be on the right side.

"But I may be in the middle and I may be on the left sometimes. It's closer to what I did with Nick Saban [who coached the Dolphins during the 2005-06 seasons] back in '06 when I was the defensive player of the year. In this defense ... there are just a variety of different things that we can do. And the biggest thing is that open-mindedness. That's what you really like."

By Jason Reid  |  August 27, 2010; 10:05 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clinton Portis's new dedication to practice
Next: Willie Parker gets his chance against Jets

Comments

Yet another team's superstar, picked up after an awesome career in another system, who didn't do squat in a Skins uni.

Posted by: Alan4 | August 27, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

Re: Landry

Hopefully, Landry's "go for the knockout" mentality will pay off for us more than it will burn us...

Cam Cameron touched on hits/fumbles the other day when speaking about the Ravens.

"On how much he can attribute fumbles to a great defensive play: “The one great point you make is… We kind of do a study. We take every turnover in the league, every year, and analyze what causes it. The No. 1 cause of fumbles is the first guy hitting someone extremely hard. At one time it used to be the second or third guy, now it’s somebody getting hit. The technique we use – and Wilbert Montgomery brought to us – really shouldn’t be affected by that. So, the bottom line is it’s one hand until you can’t secure it with one hand, then it’s two, and then it’s take care of that ball any way you can. Get us to the next down. You’re carrying this entire state, all the Raven fans, [and] the entire organization; when you carry that ball, that’s who you’re carrying with you. I think for us… I think we’ve got the technique squared away, but I think now we’ve just got to develop a mindset that under no circumstances, regardless of the hit, are we going to turn the ball over.”

Posted by: oh_boy1 | August 27, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: oh_boy1 | August 27, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

A Jason Taylor post...really?

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 27, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

F Jason Taylor

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 27, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

h8, no kidding....next up, a Rock Cartwright Retrospective.....followed by a fond look back at Rod Gardner...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 27, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 27, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I would love to know how Brandon Lloyd feels about his time in the nation's capitol.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 27, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

WOW....

Feel asleep reading the never ending Blog Post.....

I stopped after paragraph 4/5...

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 27, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 27, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Can we get a "Where in the world are Taylor Jacobs and Matt Bowen" article soon?

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | August 27, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

F Jason Taylor

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 27, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

^ This.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | August 27, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

In fairness, Jason Taylor is a likely HOF'er. That sets him apart from former players like Rod Gardner and Brandon Lloyds.

Posted by: Alan4 | August 27, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Well.......they are playing against him tonight. It's not a complete stretch to post about him.

I know, I know......

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 27, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Hi Jason Taylor, you're a future hall of fame Defensive End and former NFL Defensive MVP, you've made a career wreaking havoc on opposing QBs in this league from the Right DE spot, but we're the Redskins, we need you do do what you've always done, except we need you to switch sides cause Andre Carter, who right now is basically a Free Agent Bust is too comfortable on the right side and he can't switch. But hey Jason, you can switch right? You can make it work right? You can get 12 sacks for us this season right? Can you starting writing with your left hand from now on too? We're the Redskins, we don't think we can tolerate you writing with your right hand... Mmmky? Thanks!

Posted by: sichondesign | August 27, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Whateves.

At least Jason Taylor has the decency to not be a total dooshe like Lavernaeus Coles.

All this post does is remind me how grossly incompetent an executive Vinny Cerratto was. It's alarmingly obvious that Cerratto operated to acquire players in a way that was totally detached from meaningful input/discussion with the coaching staff.

He went out and bought a bunch of shiny billion dollar square pegs and dumped them on the coaches - it might have been helpful if he'd actually talked to the coaches and discovered that the holes are round...

Posted by: p1funk | August 27, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

bean-

CP averaged 5.5 YPC with MS his first 2 years and only 4 YPC his 6 yrs with us.

200-250 carries x 4.2 (rejuvenated, reunited w/ MS, but with some miles)= 800-1000. The days of CP getting 300+ carries per year are over. In fact he's gone back to back 300+ carries 2x in his career and both times he ended up injured the next year.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 27, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Blache seems to be everyone's favorite punching bag these days. He wasn't this...he wasn't that...he was inflexible...he wasn't GrWilliams. He did, however, put good defenses on the field while having players he didn't want forced on him during the general dysfunction of the Redskins front office...all in the context of the leadership vacuum that was the Zorn era. All in all, I think he should be proud of his tenure here as position coach and defensive coordinator. (outside of that strangely obsequious defense of Snyder after Riggins ripped him, of course)

Posted by: MColeman51 | August 27, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 27, 2010 10:30 AM |

Yep, it was a very sad day for all of the other GM’s in the league when Danny fired Vinny.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 27, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Wow, dude. For a skater, Scampbell, you don't know squadoosh about skater music. Trash was around way before Metallica. Keep searching, Grasshopper.

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 27, 2010 5:14 AM |

Dude, everytime I post you got some snarky, know it all comeback that is completely wrong. Why don't you pull your head out of your Moms stinkin' dusty c*ny and blow me. As usual you don't know what the ohuk you're talking about and show your complete ignorance of every subject you claim to be an expert at. Before Metallica and Dave Mustaine there was only the new wave of British Heavy Metal, which was not considered thrash. You really ought to stick to Shel Silverstein books and mud pies at the playground because you are a phuking moron.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

F Jason Taylor

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 27, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

F Greg Blache

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 27, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

F Jason Taylor

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 27, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

CO-SIGN!

Another defensive "star" who has to do it his way, while getting paid millions to complain.

Posted by: westjr88 | August 27, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

If you have trouble understanding the concept of "Statistically Good" and "Good" just take a look at a Greg Blache coached defense.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 27, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

p1funk, Vinny made a lot of mistakes, but this one is shared with the coaches.

Sure, Taylor was probably a bit over the hill, and Vinny could never resist a big name.

But there's no excuse for a coach not making the most of the talent he has on the field. Jason Taylor showed what he could do, and Blache never took advantage of it.

Posted by: Alan4 | August 27, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

2nd round pick!! most redskins fans feel lost.

especially after tonights game

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | August 27, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

"Jason Taylor showed what he could do, and Blache never took advantage of it.

Posted by: Alan4"

Except once, against the Eagles at home when Jason Taylor basically won the game by himself.

Just ask McNabb.

Posted by: psps23 | August 27, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Stausburg out 12-18 months...

Tommy John surgery, it's a good thing they were so cautious with him.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 27, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Stephen Strasburg 'probably' needs surgery, could miss 12 to 18 months

This is infinitely more than a story about Jason Taylor and his five minutes as a redskin.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 27, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

It's game day (albeit preseason) and you have to give us a piece on our first "Hanesworth" . . . WHY?!?!?! Jason Taylor is a bad memory who doesn't deserve, even a mention, in this town. This is just another example of the type of negativity you like to feed the fans. STOPPPPP!

Posted by: rmblocher | August 27, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

A good player is going to make plays, no matter where you line him up, within his position.

Posted by: westjr88 | August 27, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Don't care about Taylor.

It's preseason. Got lots of questions I'll be looking for tonight. Will Banks be getting any time at WR? Is Galloway really the #2? Who's the third TE? How many of Vinny's picks look likely to make the team? Are people confident Doughty can hold it down at FS? Who's going to return kickoffs? Barnes or Tryon at nickel? How does the line hold up tonight against a blitzing 3-4 team?

Posted by: manifested | August 27, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Aaaand baseball takes its rightful place back in the depths of the sports world here in DC once again.

Posted by: psps23 | August 27, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

We have heard from big Al and Jason Taylor, two super players, about Blache's defense. Now, I am a Blache fan, but it's clear that his defensive mindset was somewhat old school and frustrating to players who stepped outside the sand box. Maybe now we will give big Al a bit of a break.

Posted by: OneStop1 | August 27, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

i think "future hall of famer" is not a given for taylor

Posted by: goose33 | August 27, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

He was a d1ckw@d while with the Redskins! BUt Cerrato shares as much blame for getting a player who didn't match the defense. Not to mention te ridiculous hire of Vinny's college 'Bud' as DL coach.

In FACT, we can Blame Cerrato for almost everything these past 10 years!!!!!

Posted by: wagenstill | August 27, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

A Jason Taylor post...really?

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 27, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Aren't we playing the Jets this week? I know it's just pre-season, but it's still an interesting interview. What else do you have to do with your day???

Posted by: rich20ssu | August 27, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Jason Taylor is still a punk!!

Posted by: wattsicon | August 27, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

That said, get well Strasburg, don't wish that type of injury upon anybody.

Posted by: psps23 | August 27, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

this article brings back great memories of the following vinny/danny moves:

jeff george
deion sanders
bruce smith
mark carrier
trung candidate
danny wuerffel
shane matthews
brandon lloyd
adam archuletta
colt brennan
durant brooks
jason taylor
tj duckett
shaun alexander

and i'm sure countless others

Posted by: AhsanFamily | August 27, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

"2nd round pick!! most redskins fans feel lost."

And there's a story that the dolphins might cut P White, the guy they took with that second round pick.

Notable 2nd rounders from 2009:

Clint Sintum--lb
Phil Loadholdt--right tackle
William Beatty--left tackle

and later:

Shonn Greene--running back
Austin Collie-wr
Mike Wallace--wr

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 27, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

offense scores 20 + points
defense gets a couple of sacks, turnovers

HEALTH, no injuries

thats what i want out of tonight...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 27, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OneStop1 | August 27, 2010 11:10 AM |

I think everything from The Gibbs II regime was antiquated. I know Blache was a Flapjacks guy but that was a 2.0 hire. Buges, too. I hate to say it but when those giuys came back the game had passed them by. Don't get me wrong, 2 playoff appearences in 4 years is far better than anyone else manages in recent history but I think the outdated philosophies of the hires showed all the way up until last year.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

"2nd round pick!! most redskins fans feel lost."

...and we spent a 3rd rounder the summer of 2009 to get Jeremy Jarmon (who has been invisible).

How's that workin' for ya?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 27, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

offense scores 20 + points
defense gets a couple of sacks, turnovers

HEALTH, no injuries

thats what i want out of tonight...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 27, 2010 11:31 AM |

I'm cool with the no injuries and defense part. Not so expectant with the offense, Rex can morph into a turnover machine in an instant. HAIL!!! Catch up with y'all later.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

here are the WR id like to see making the squad...gotta start the youth movement somewhere

moss
armstrong
banks
thomas
kelly
austin (if six are kept...otherwise PS)

don't know why the skins are so high on galloway...hes done the same as kelly in the preseason so far...0 catches for 0 yards

id rather have kelly on the roster based on the possibility that he will hopefully get healthy and be able to contribute to the team whereas we already know what galloway has to offer...thoughts?

Posted by: AhsanFamily | August 27, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

At the risk of sounding redundant, is anyone else tired of everything ^ this guy posts?

Maybe it's time for a break Campbell...or at least a new screen name to throw us off your undoubtedly rotten scent.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | August 27, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

J.T. = G.A.Y

Love me some Rod Geezy.

Posted by: really9 | August 27, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

What I want to see out of the game tonight:
1) Solid blitz pick ups by the Oline. We all know Ryan will bring the heat, but it should be fairly vanilla blitzes and I want to see the Oline (and RBs for that matter) show progress on their communication.
2) How we adapt at FS with Moore out. I will be curious to see if the Jets will have success exploiting our DBs without Moore.
3) Success shutting down the run and not overpursuing, which seemed to be a problem in the few minutes that I watched of last weeks game.

Posted by: HokiesSkins | August 27, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

No way to catch the game on tv tonight if I'm not in the dmv area right?

Posted by: saltine182 | August 27, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Top 3 items to watch for me:

(1) Offensive line push in run-blocking.

(2) Offensive line solid in pass-protection.

(3) Which WR will earn himself a roster spot tonight.

Everything else is second tier on the list of worries, IMO.

Posted by: psps23 | August 27, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Ten days in Maine refreshes the brain--and expands the waistline.

Love that state--but not in February.

TOO much info about Taylor. Skins have no reason to be perfonally upset with Jason. His failure in DC is all on management for attaining a 240 pound DE, dinged, danced out and near the end of his career anyway.

One of many dumb, panicky decisions made by Cerrato and Danny.

I mean half the monkeys here knew how bad a move it was--why wouldn't alleged football minds have a clue?

Posted by: TheCork | August 27, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

psps23

"Top 3 items to watch for me"

Once McNabb got scratched from the list, I lost interest in seeing this game.

It is more interesting for ti the jets than us anyways.

Mark Sanchez is on a hotseat and a good showing by Kellen Clemens might make that entire situation the classic, "W want the back up guy," situation that most teams dread.

The jets are priming for a playoff run and are loaded at all positions.

Except, it seems, at quarterback.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 27, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

No way to catch the game on tv tonight if I'm not in the dmv area right?

Posted by: saltine182 | August 27, 2010 11:51 AM

Not live, no. But game is on NFL net tomorrow.

Posted by: TheCork | August 27, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

saltine182, TheCork,
would this work?

scroll about 2/3 of the way down. the skins/jets game is listed.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | August 27, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Once McNabb got scratched from the list, I lost interest in seeing this game.

Posted by: MistaMoe |

Really? I think McNabb is the least interesting aspect of the game. We know what he has done and may or may not still be able to do. We'll find out for sure in regular season,.

Meanwhile preseason position battles I find much more fascinating.

Starting on D--Can anybody but Kareem Moore play free safety? Tryon an Barnes? Will they ever develop as CB? Perry, Blades Henson et al as primary backup inside ILB. WHo prevails.

Beyond Kemoeatu, is there depth at nose Guard among the hod carriers brought in? Lots of battles at DE. Bubble boys may include Vonnie Holliday, Jarmon, Jackson. The "other OLB?" Coleman vs Alexander?

On offense, the well being of the OLINE is paramount for the skins to survive and will help determine the RB's fortunes. Can Keiland steal Parker or Johnson's slot?

How will Trent do after a lesson taught him last week? Will another week playing together increase cohesion? What about Rinehart and Lichetenwhatever?

And OMG, the position battles at receiver are worth the price of admission. Armstrong for real? Will featherweight speedsters make team at WR and/or running back punts and KOs? Will Devin EVER live up to his promise? What about old gits, Galloway and Wade?

And with McNabb out, may get to sew who #3 QB will be.

Backup TE's is a good war too...

Naw, lots going on. Just gotta look beyond the flash and glitter of the pretty boy position.

Posted by: TheCork | August 27, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AhsanFamily | August 27, 2010 11:37 AM

I agree. Also, if they cut Kelly, someone would probably pick him up. I wouldn’t say the same about Galloway.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 27, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

My whole take on the Taylor experience was while we all knew Blache was an idiot, Taylor never really wanted to be here.

He made that very obvious.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | August 27, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

If you sign "Star" players like Taylor and Haynesworth who are stars because they were given the freedom to freelance and make plays, you can't try to restrict them and force them to play a strict system then complain about their production. If the Skins really wanted JT to be the JT everyone expected they should have let him play RE and freelance like he did in Miami for 10 yrs. Same for AH. If you want the AH who tore teams up in Tenn you have to use him in a similar way. If all you want are guys to play a "system" then plug a bunch of 5th round no name draft picks in and save your self about $50M bucks.

Posted by: renhoekk2 | August 27, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Jason Reid continuing to expertly apply the pointless blog post techniques he learned so well from JLC.

Posted by: moseley_brian | August 27, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

EFF Greg Blache.

Worst coach in recent memory. Too stubborn, too passive with his schemes. All about playing a soft contain defense. He was a total loser and I don't think any player misses him. He is exactly what we thought he was. Judging from player comments. He screwed up Landry. He screwed up Taylor. He ticked off Albert. He ticked off Carlos Rogers. He just didn't put players in a position to succeed. I don't care where his defense ranked yardage-wise You can't be that passive and make it real far.

Glad we're going to see a more blitzing D this yr.

Even Hall's comments about why he doesn't tackle or whatever reflected on Blache's mentality. At least Shanahan appreciates a guy like Carlos and the way he can hit.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 27, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

This was always my problem with Cerrato. He had a pretty good eye for talent (if a little cavalier about the sell by date), but he was totally indifferent to the need to assemble a set of parts that complemented each other or matched the system. The coaching turnover had something to do with that, but in this case it was no surprise that Taylor was going to have to play for Blache and no mystery it was a lousy fit.

What I can't figure out is if Vinny was unaware of the need to make sure the combinations worked or if it was just beyond him to pull it off.

Posted by: zimbar | August 27, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a big Jason Taylor fan, but this is a recurring theme when ex-players talk about Blache. Too stubborn, unwilling to bend at all, won't listen, doesn't use his players to the best of their abilities, etc. In this regard, Blache was a bit of a bonehead.

The ironic thing is, Taylor would probably be much better at OLB than Carter or Lo.

Posted by: NYPDee | August 27, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

The move for Taylor is on Snyder and Cerrato.

He obviously didn't fit at 240 as a DE in a 4-3 alignment.

If the club was not going to play him at outside linebacker, there was no way he was going to hold up against 300 pound guards and tackles on the run downs.

The other thing is Cerrato goes out and makes the trade even though the DC at the time says he doesn't want Taylor?????????

Do you think Bruce Allen would trade for a player that Jim Haslett or Mike Shanahan said he didn't want or need on the roster?

Welcome to how dysfunctional the Redskins were for the past 10 years.

Shanahan is turning things around and I am not going to be one that criticizes him if the team is not 11-5 or 12-4 in 2010.

This club has 30 new players on it and several younger players in Trent Williams, Kareem Moore, Fred Davis and Anthony Armstrong that are likely going to be taking on significant roles here in 2010 and there will be growing pains.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | August 27, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I laugh every time a reporter says Taylor left because of a workout clause. You might as well begin that story with "Once upon a time ..."

It was the $$$. Taylor dropped his salary down to about $1million and change when he went to Miami, from $8million he woulda had with the Skins -- who were pushing the salary cap as it was.

That $6-7 million pay cut was supposedly so he he could be closer to his family.

Anyone here married? What would your wife say if you walked away from $7million to spend a couple more months at home?

Sports "journalists" need to do more than just swallow the story mgmt gives them.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 27, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I don't really want to think about any of the years after The Danny bought the team, all full of unpleasant memories, thanks to Danny's clueless leadership and his whipping boy VC. Ugg. There is a ray of hope now with The Shanny, and the Redskin's success will be inversely propertional to Danny's control of anything but paying the bills.

Posted by: DrWho2 | August 27, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Guess jreid couldn't get his boy sanchez the trojan on the line.

LMAO.

wapo... please get a f'ing clue. Or don't. Thankfully, the examiner's got one.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 27, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

theCork

"Just gotta look beyond the flash and glitter of the pretty boy position."

The 3rd preseason football game is essentially a dress rehearsal for the regular season.

Without McNabb playing, we don't get an extensive look-see at the one area of weakness that has plagued the Washington Redskins for well over 10 years:

Is the offense fixed?

Does the new scheme hold up when a real defense comes at it?

Do the young'n receivers stand up in the face of an excellent secondary?

Yes, some of this can be assessed with Rex Grossman starting.

But, for my money as a redskin fan, I wanted to see D-Mac for 3 quarters against a team priming for the playoffs.

We have a star quarterback who I'd like to see unwrapped and in full view for 3 quarters.

The jets have a top rated defense, and rather than watch two no-names fight to back up Chris Cooley, my hope was to see Kyle Shanahan's system in full force.

And without McNabb, the redskin offense will be full.

But it also won't have its true force.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 27, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NYPDee | August 27, 2010 12:45 PM

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 27, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Breaking news:

vinny c is still a bug eyed buffoon, and g blache is still an authoritarian one trick pony with a penchant for homespun oneliners.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 27, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Where is the Shar Pourdanesh update? I WANT IT NOW!!! (in my best Will Farrell voice)

Posted by: digger76 | August 27, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

As for the Taylor trade, I liked it at the time because it signaled that the Skins wanted to win that year. Taylor was a top RDE. Major impact guy at a very high impact position (blind side pass rusher). Why they took a guy, 1 year removed from defensive player of the year and had him play a different position ... I'll never know (see AH92 in 2010 -- ooops they did it again).

Anyway, they traded for Taylor, then kept all 10 drafted rookies. Win now? Win later? Made no sense.

fwiw, I had wanted us to trade out 2nd round pick for Boldin. Instead we got Kelly and Thomas. Beantown will still tell me that there's no proof it would have worked out better. But that's just because he's had too much chowder.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 27, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

What are people's thoughts on the Skins going after laurence Maroney? Read an article stating he's the odd man out up there. We don't have many draft picks to trade (not that I think they should). Is he a free-agent next season?

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | August 27, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

cork, what part of ME??

And why didn't you get in touch with me....

Jets/Skins is on NFL Network tomorrow at 2pm......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 27, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Wade Phillips halftime speech come 9/12:
“There’s no reason to be alarmed…..we’ve got them right where we want them. Incidentally, is there anyone on the team that knows how to play quarterback?”

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 27, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

The jets are priming for a playoff run and are loaded at all positions.

Except, it seems, at quarterback.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 27, 2010 11:59 AM

Believe me, no one in NYC is pining for a return to Clemens. Everyone's seen what he's got, and it ain't much. The Jets will live and die with Sanchez.

I'll be tivoing this game, the only preseason Skins I'll see this year.

Posted by: NYPDee | August 27, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse

He's probably cheap enough and I think he'd fit this scheme. Don't know if he's had any physical issues or mental meltdowns, but if not ... take a look.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 27, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see the running game solidify tonight, and I hope Grossman does well. if our starters can get two scores against their starters it's a good night. for the record before metallica and Mustaine there was MOTORHEAD

Posted by: nflorida1 | August 27, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nflorida1 | August 27, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

You guys arguing about metal is like arguing over who's hemroids are cooler.....

Or who has the best cane

No matter who wins ur both old enough to owe jesus five bucks....

Just messin guys, don't flame me too bad

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 27, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather lick the cheese off the mousetrap than to read another article about Jason Taylor.

*snap!*

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 27, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 27, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I agree, he doesn't seem to fit in up in NE, not sure why. They love pass catching HB's, maybe he's not one of them.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | August 27, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

dhaze1

That speech is kinda, kinda, kinda funny.

Eventually, the dallas crowd will come to realize that just like Mr. Phillips, Wade too is a bum.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 27, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Vs the Jets, I'd look for a few things

1. Does our DL get a good push vs the Jets good OL? Especially would want to take note of the differences between inside and outside run plays.

2. Does our 3-4 confuse Sanchez? Based on the results vs B'more, seems their offense struggled to throw it consistently. Would like to see problems for the Jets.

2. Can our secondary dominate the Jets receiving group? Not sure if Santonio Holmes plays, but Braylon Edwards doesn't scare me at all. Cochery is OK, but hardly a big threat guy.

3. Do we tackle well? A Ryan coached team is going to play hard.

4. Is TW progressing?

5. Can anyone pickup the pass rush or blitz when a guy bursts through?

6. Is Jamaal Brown effective. I think he's got a matchup that he should do well with.

That's really about it. Not concerned about Willie Parker, I expect nothing there. Our #2 QB vs the expected #1 defense? Don't expect much there. The WRs? Would be great to see DT11 step it up, but I'm afraid we already know what we've got there

To me, the thing to watch is what happens in and around the trenches. The Jets are good, if we can hold our own, that'd be a very good sign.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 27, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

no thanks on Maroney....guy gets eviscerated by the local talk shows up here...

B
U
S
T

not worth it at all...he's a dancer not a runner....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 27, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I was only going for one kinda.....it would seem I have outdone myself again.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 27, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing JBrown gets 1, 2 series max. They are concerned about the hip, and will only want to give him enough work to barely maintain the coating of rustoleum.

Speaking of hips, too bad Sidney Rice didn't find out his needed surgery in February.

Bwahahahahaha.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 27, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

anyone know a reliable way to watch tonight's game online?

Posted by: abtassler | August 27, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone else seen this common denominator.....Greg Blache. I don't want to hear this crap about his high ranked defense. His defense never shut anybody down when we really needed it. I'm one Skins fan who is glad he is gone.

Posted by: jerod1 | August 27, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

no thanks on Maroney....guy gets eviscerated by the local talk shows up here...

B
U
S
T

not worth it at all...he's a dancer not a runner....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Not seen him recently enough to know much about him now. What went wrong with him? He looked good a couple years back and he's still pretty young.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 27, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

We had good(according to my wife)/bad(according to me) luck catching Dallas/SD live on A TDH E. net

Sure, it was blurry - but it was on.

If'n you're outta tha country, or proxy-browse, you can get the games live from the NFL! Don't hold me to the proxy bit - I haven't tested, but theoretically...

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 27, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe, you funny.

Moe, have you been watching Hard Knocks? Rex Ryan absolutely ripped a new one for his
backups after their play in the Carolina game. I expect to see a great deal of play from their 2s which might be good for Grossman as a tuneup.

Posted by: rgj21 | August 27, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

does anybody know if this works for watching games live on line?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | August 27, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

z, he had one good year, but then bupkus since....he dances too much, he wont lower his shoulder, he's injury prone, fumbles...other than that....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 27, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

For folks asking about watching games online, I suggest atdhe.net. I've watched a number of games on there this preseason, and the quality is great for the price (free).

You might need to install software depending on the channel, as they don't all use the same streaming technology.

There are plenty of other shows and sporting events on there, so you can try out some of the different channels and see how it works for you.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 27, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

does anybody know if this works for watching games live on line?
Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | August 27, 2010 1:59 PM

It works, but not reliably. Sometimes it will freeze up or say that the feed is down. Last year I watched the preseason game vs the Jags through a link there, and it was from a webcam of some guys watching the game (like MST3000). The picture was surprisingly good. Unfortunatley they had attention deficit disorder and kept switching to play soccer on xbox, so I pretty must didn’t get to see the 2nd half. It’s like they didn’t know that they were streaming live….

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 27, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

probably about as reliable as the one I posted. Favorite those two for reagular searching...

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 27, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

"no thanks on Maroney....guy gets eviscerated by the local talk shows up here..."

'Eviscerated...'?: WTF?

Who uses big words like that in a blog?

Please remember that some of us are middle school dropouts.

I have an i.q. just above retard, 70, and would like the use of these big words to stop or I'll come breed with your daughter, and ruin your bloodline.

Some of the dudes in her read only when sitting in a bathroom stall at the local gas station.

Words like 'eviscerate' makes the head hurt in the way it does while listening to a bill collector list your late payments on some debt you hate that you have.

Or the wife wonder why you take Levitra to the strip club.

I'm shocked the REDSKIN BLOG Owner didn't alert on the use of the word eviscerate.

In fact, I'd peel my own skin off my own body just to know what it meant.

But I guess I never will.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 27, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

btw - WaPo, this is an article, not a blog post necessarily.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 27, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

JT can suck it trebbek, who cares about that DB. I have an idea, why don't we conduct post career interviews with everyone that came here for 1 year, left with a boat load of money and see how they really feel...

Posted by: P00P | August 27, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

dlhaze1,
ha! funny story about the MST3000 nature of the jags game...

i plan to be watching on regular tv tonight, but will test both of those out for future use.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | August 27, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 27, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 27, 2010 2:05 PM

Heh! I watched that, too. It was annoying as heck, but now it's kind of funny to think about. Those guys were like a case study in ADHD.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 27, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

...Sanchez looks awful thus far. QB play is definitely problematic in their quest for a Super Bowl.

Posted by: rgj21 | August 27, 2010 1:56 PM

He coulda been ours for a pair of first round draft picks!

Remember this?:

Sanchez Raves about His Redskins Visit

Posted by: Alan4 | August 27, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

And without McNabb, the redskin offense will be full.

But it also won't have its true force.

Posted by: MistaMoe |

Not disagreeing with all your points, just pointing out there is much more to the game tonight than merely whether or not McNabb plays. He isn't playing, for instance, because he's hurt, something that happens with some frequency.

Unlikely he'll make it thru the season, with the pressure being applied against a rookie OLT. So, will the team fold up without himn? Or rally as they did a few years back behind a backup named Collins?

So, how WILL the team do without him, and with Grossman?

What would be better for all concerned would be a game against a less formidable defense.

McNabb or not, any progress against the Jets will be significant.

And believe me, jobs will be won and lost tonight, and many key slots.

Posted by: TheCork | August 27, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

smells like Cerrato.... oh it is!!! duh..

a 2nd and a 6th rd for this bum??? He'll never win a SB, you heard it hear first. Jets will never win a SB

Posted by: datruth21 | August 27, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

A little constructive criticism never hurt anybody. No offense to Andre Carter, but I didn't understand why Jason Taylor had to move to the left side in deference to Carter. I mean, c'mon man. Taylor didn't trash the Skins. Everything he said is true. The guy came here and was mis-used by the organization. Winning teams don't do that and certainly don't repeat doing it (ahem - Haynesworth). Wish you well Taylor but hope that Silverback pancakes you at least twice tonight.

Posted by: coparker5 | August 27, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I think history will not leave a good legacy for Blache. He was a big part of the problem in the Zorn era. He was nowhere close to what Marvin Lewis did for Spurrier. We had the most tepid D in those two years -- infact, I can't even recall a single defensive takeaway...okay Hall intercepting Romo in the home game against the Cowboys...but you get the point. Blache was BLAH!

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | August 27, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

F Jason Taylor

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 27, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

F Greg Blache

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 27, 2010 10:33 AM

Exactly.

Posted by: Keiser | August 27, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I think the only thing Greg Blanche had in common with Greg Williams was a first name.

Posted by: PriorKnowledge | August 27, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Jason Taylor is nothing but AN OLD DOG LOOKING FOR A BONE! He will stink in NY this year, take the money and run back to free agency looking for some other fool owner to give him money to do NOTHING! I am glad this clown is gone from the skins. He should be doing a dance routine with the cheerleaders because he doesn't belong on the field.

Posted by: mike1ad | August 27, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

And they call John Calipara the 'one and done king' today. No that would be Dan and Vinny and the Skins. I'll include 2 and dones too:

Deion, Bruce, Jason, Marty, Spurrier, Zorn, Alexander, Carrier, Spurrier, McNabb, Shanahan, Brunell, Archuleta, Candidate, Danny Awful, Ramsey, Alvin Harper, James Washington, Fat Al

Always someone elses coach or someone elses has-beens. Will Dan ever learn to GET HIS OWN PLAYERS? That's the real article we have yet to read.

Posted by: morrisday1 | August 27, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse