Taylor: One and Done in D.C.?

Jason Taylor talked for a few minutes about his future. He has had a difficult season here and is still bothered by the leg injury he suffered back in September (pus was still coming out of his calf as we spoke). Taylor knows that with an $8.5 million salary for next season, only 11/2 sacks and a roster than could use an infusion of young talent, this may have been a failed one-year experiment in Washington.

At this point, Taylor, 34, knows that this season might also be his last in the NFL.

He considered retirement a year ago before the Dolphins dealt him in July and Taylor is hoping that a second career in Hollywood awaits. For now, he's trying to focus on the final two games of the season, and not the uncertainty of the offseason.

"To be honest, my wife asked me the same question the other day [about the future], and I'm still engulfed in this season," Taylor said. "It's not a question that I have to answer right now, you know, to myself. I just haven't addressed it."

Taylor has been hurt for the first time in his career ("It's still bleeding," Taylor said of the injury that could have ended his career had he not undergone an emergency procedure to relieve pressure), and missed an extended period of time. The injury issue may spur him to give it another shot and try to go at full strength, but he conceded that the health scare might be a sign to get out of a physically brutal game while he's still in relatively good shape.

"Those things will come into play, for sure," Taylor said. "Obviously this isn't the season I wanted to have. It's not what I expected. But as a pro you have to learn how to deal with things. Would I subject myself to it again? I may and I may not. I really don't have an answer. I know I'm being vague and boring, but I just don't know yet.

"I'll give it a serious sitdown and evaluation one day with a nine-iron in my hand or something," Taylor said. "There' s a group of guys I like to talk to for advice - guys who have played this game and other games at the highest level - and I'm sure I'll get together with them and figure it out."

By Jason La Canfora  |  December 18, 2008; 3:34 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Blache Says Springs, Hall Will Start
Next: Catching Up with the Eagles

Comments

Hallelujah!

Use the 8 mil to sign Hall for 2-3 years.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 18, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Translation: If they want to pay me the 8 mill I am owed next year I will play. To come back for less money or vet min is not gonna happen.

Posted by: JasonLaTempleton | December 18, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Please no more.

Posted by: mrizzle | December 18, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

If he'll take less money, he's worth the gamble, given what they already gave up for him...

...if not, well...sorry it didn't work out.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 18, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

At least it doesn't hurt us financially when we cut him. Thanks for giving it the ole college try JT55, but it just didn't work out. Now if only we had that second pick back.

Posted by: Predator48 | December 18, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

The whole thing with not dressing Kelly, just absolutely grinds my gears...just absolutely stupid...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 18, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Funny (or not)...between comments from Campbell, Taylor, Portis, and Fletcher, you'd think the regular season was over.

Are these guys prepared whatsoever to play two more games? It doesn't look like it, and whether they want to or not, they have to play them.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 18, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

"Did you say it was bad deal when it was consumated? The guy got seriously hurt (a freak injury at that) for the first time in his career. Hindsight is 20/20 vision.

Posted by: learnedhand1"

Was Ryan Leaf a bad pick when the Chargers decided to select him?

How about Vince Young?

Matt Leinart?

Hindsight is ALL that matters. Nobody cares whether something seemed like the right thing to do at the time. If that were the case, any one of us could be a GM and go with whatever "seems" right.

Posted by: psps23 | December 18, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Wheels are totally off. Taylor is sending messages about next year. I agree that Blache b-slapped jasno, but he also said he DE's are poor pass rushers. Jason Taylor and Andre Carter? No one would have said that 1 year ago. I would have been laughable in Dec 2007.

Malcolm Kelly might not even dress? Wow. Had to re-read that because it makes no sense. None. Zero.

Gibbs left a character organization -- one that got tougher when the times got tougher.

That's all gone. When times get tough, this 2008 team self-destructed.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

RE: The title: "Taylor: One and Done in D.C.?"

Taylor was done the moment he stpped off the plane arriving in Virginia.

Say what you want about Parcells (I wish we had him - but with Snyder...) the man knows how to seek and evaluate talent. One of the best the last 20 years or so.

I told all my boys that the Dolphins would be WAY better than that 1-15 team they were last year (I had 'em at 7-9, I believe) - they laughed, I shrugged.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 18, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Was Ryan Leaf a bad pick when the Chargers decided to select him?

How about Vince Young?

Matt Leinart?

p, these guys had no pro history to look at and use as a guage. JT did.

I'm not getting into it with anyone, just not worth it anymore, but if you look at his career, JT had been injury free his entire career, and had been effective his entire career.

This is not me endorsing this trade in any way, just trying to point something out.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 18, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

psps,

I'd respect "well, that didn't work out like we thought...was there something they should have seen with him and didn't, because he couldn't get it done.."...

...a heck of a lot more than "what a stupid move, they gave up way too much, he's just a dancer", etc...from the same people that said "great move, we need that guy, now our Defense will be awesome", etc...

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 18, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

When times get tough, this 2008 team self-destructed.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 3:52 PM
*******************************************

I completely agree. So does that fact say more about Gibbs as a coach, or more about our current coaching staff?

Posted by: mrizzle | December 18, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Greg, your point was valid. I still take issue with the fact that it was a steep price to pay for a 33 year old and it's not like anyone thought this team was "one player away" at the beginning of the year. The FO doesn't value draft picks the way other, winning franchises do.

It's a beaten horse though. Call PETA on me.

Posted by: Gweez | December 18, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Nothing like a broken down old team to finish the year out 7-9.

Don't worry, we'll sign the following this offseason:

Julius Peppers
Albert Haynesworth
D'Angelo Hall
TJ Houshmanzadeh
Shane Lechler (had to throw the punter in there!)
Rob Bironas (and a kicker to boot)

To name a few...bank on it. With only 4 draft picks, the Skins will make a splash again this offseason.

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 18, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

z,

This team just doesn't have anything left in the tank from what it looks like. They got very old this year, very fast.

Lots of roster moves should come this offseason.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 18, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

mrizzle,

To me it says this team didn't have another run in them, period.

Too old, too worn out.

This particular group is done.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 18, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

It does when you are criticizing someone about an action they took. There are tons of reasons to bash management, I just don't agree that this is one of them.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | December 18, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Jason Taylor is a totally classy guy. He may have been injured and certainly has not performed as we expected but he has been a class act since he's arrival. He has volunteered with local charities and given his teammates gifts. And he is very self deprecating.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 18, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Draft Rey Malaguala at OLB to start for Marcus and all of sudden, with those FA additions, we're back in the thick of things in the NFC east.

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 18, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

When times get tough, this 2008 team self-destructed.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 3:52 PM
*******************************************

Posted by: mrizzle

Both. Gibbs is a leader. Everything he did here was a mixed bag -- except for the way he led -- which was excellent.

This team needs its HC and team leaders to step up. Even Fletcher, the ultimate in team first guys, melted down over the Pro Bowl snub -- a personal thing. Seems harsh to place so much on Zorn, given all the vets (both players and coaches). But the meltdown is pretty obvious. On the field and off.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

The only gift the Skins needed from Taylor was 10 sacks this year. Watches and shoes don't cut it!

JLC talks about 2-3 year rebuilding plan...that doesn't work when you start off year one of the plan with only 4 picks in the draft. If you trade down a couple of times, maybe 6 picks. With the draft track record here, we need to look at FA's to help. It may not be popular, but its the only shot we've got a being competitive. Throw in some o-line for depth too.

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 18, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

One and done... If only the same could be said of JLC.

Posted by: AquaBoogie | December 18, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 18, 2008 3:49 PM

Yeah I really don't understand it. I mean did he spit in Zorn's cheerios earlier in the season.

And why does he stick with Thrash so much. His days as a useful receiver or OVER!

This is where I question Zorny's mental makeup as a head coach.

Posted by: Predator48 | December 18, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

"It may be all that matters, but it's pretty weak when folks bash the move as stupid when they themselves were praising it at the beginning of the year.

Posted by: shaunsherman12"

It sounds to me like you're taking all of this on a personal level. Like it's some sort of competition between who can be the best GM.

I could care less whether somebody was right or wrong on this blog. All I care about is whether or not our FO was right or wrong. And in that sense, it makes no difference to me how many people were saying "good move".

5 years down the road, nobody is going to be apologizing for Vinny for this move. All they're going to say is "there's another Deion type move". And that's the way it should be, because that's all that really matters.

Posted by: psps23 | December 18, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 18, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

p48, thrash does teams work, so he gets the nod.

Kelly doesn't so...he doesn't dress, which again, incredibly stupid....just amazingly dumb.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 18, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shaunsherman12

the OL aged about 4 years between game 8 and 9.

Still, you have to beat Cincy, a team with a huge number of injuries (far more than us) and nothing to play for. Especially when the playoffs are a distinct possibility.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Draft strategy:

Trade down, trade down, and then trade down some more...

Posted by: mrizzle | December 18, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Greg, totally on board regarding Kelly. If he's that bad, cut him today.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

If we don't draft one of the USC backers, we need to use all 4 picks on o the O-line. Use FA to get the D-line cause everyone knows it takes a few years of seasoning for them anyway. LB's, RB's and O-linemen can start or contribute in year one. That's where the focus should be. Chris Long was supposed to be the end all be all for SL this year and wasn't, but watch, he has 10-12 sacks next year.

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 18, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

rich, backers aren't any good when no one in front of them can open holes...they need good lines first...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 18, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Not taking it personal at all, of course, but I find supporting a decision another makes with zeal, only to act as if all along it it was a bad decision when it doesn't work out, to be a sign of weak character. If you're going to beat on this decision now, by all means go ahead - I think we all agree it was a bust - but some true disclosure ("I thought it would work, but it sucked") would give the complaint more meaning.

As you say though, it is what it is: a move that didn't work out...and many years down the road, people will do as you say - point out that it was a bad move...while deliberately leaving out their total support for it at the time.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 18, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

That's why The Danny is signing Haynesworth and Peppers...

Gotta make that splash baby! You know they will.

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 18, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm not as angry about not dressing Kelly...it sounds to me like these guys have problems with work ethic and preparation, and Zorn has been trying to send them a message all year. Let's be patient and give them some time. If we're still talking about them at this point next year, then I'm willing to say get Kelly and Devin out of here...

Posted by: mrizzle | December 18, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I could care less whether he retires or not, cause if Vinny has any brains at all he'll cut him first chance he can.....that said, I'm not sold Vinny has any brains at all......crap

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 18, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

p48, thrash does teams work, so he gets the nod.

What the hell has Thrash done on special teams that has made any difference in any game this season? We've sucked balls with him in there so what diff does it make now!

Is it something that Kelly can't do because he is too fast or too tall????

For God sakes, why does it feel like MK12 is this years Brandon Lloyd!

Is he that bad of a receiver or does Zorn have something out for him?

Posted by: Predator48 | December 18, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

JOKE ! WHAT A JOKE

Posted by: po403 | December 18, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

This is classic redskins. The skins will cut him, JT will sign with someone else and have 10 sacks next year.

Posted by: Moose33 | December 18, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I guess we'll never know if Kelly was any good (or "that bad") this season.

Zorn wouldn't let him on the field most of the time, for fear he'd be out of position or run his route at something less than "perfection."

The funny thing is, Sammy Baugh's death and the highlights they played of him only underscore again that this game is NOT complex; some people within the game MAKE it harder than it has to be.

Perhaps Zorn should have chosen a career as a Broadway choreographer if he wanted "perfection" on every play.

People keep calling for Vinny's head - and I am one of them - and yet it seems the Redskins are stuck with Bob Fosse as their coach.

God help us.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 18, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

To argue pro/con on moves like Moss, Taylor Portis is missing the point. All those cases are fun sports bar/blog convos with no clear answer, "facts" that slide both ways and essentially fun.

But at this point with epic fail of Snyder/Ceratto its not the point. The problem isn't the Kendell move, or Portis, even if you don't like those moves they are sniffle like symptoms on a patient with a brain tumor.

The issues with skins are systemic from the top. You make the moves, even the good ones like Portis b/c there is no vision/plan/continuity. No sound football philosophy driving an organization. This is basic stuff. And don't puke back at me Snyder the businessman, or fan crud either. Dude got rich on Ponzi schemes, phone cards to immigrants, flying college kids to wet t-shirt contests and ripping off a rabid fan base (guilty here...i was on redskins.com my daughters first week ordering a onesie) . NONE of that has translated to success in the big boy worlds of Sports, Restaurants, theme parks or Movies (anyone glanced at reviews for Valkrie?)

If Snyder was a "real fan" (a term I detest but is applicable here) he would hire a football person and step the f back.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 18, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

VINNY SUCKS PEOPLE.....WHY ARE YOU EVEN DISCUSSING IT? YOU HAVE NO CHANCE WITH THAT CLOWN IN CHARGE...NONE! GET OVER IT !

Posted by: po403 | December 18, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I don't get it either....what happens next year when Thrash isn't with the team? What then??

Zorn needs to get things moving in a positive direction this weekend. Creative playcalling, throwing the ball to Thomas, Davis, Sellers, Betts, ARE, running the ball with Betts.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 18, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

CNN's reporting Skins just acquired TJ Duckett for playoff push.

Posted by: yellow_jacket98 | December 18, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Taylor has been hurt for the first time in his career ("It's still bleeding,")

.............

By Jason La Canfora | December 18, 2008; 3:34 PM ET

Yeah, but is it gushing? Because if it ain't gushing, he's making excuses.

Did anyone not bring up the fact that he said he'll be here for two whole years?

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 18, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone see the connection between this losing streak and cutting Leigh Torrence?

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 18, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

If Kelly is healthy and not good enough to wear a uniform on Sunday, even with this thin WR group, even with nothing on the line, especially when we need to look to the future, then he is worthless. Cut him.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Malcom Kelly will never be cut as long as Vinny is running the deal. Never. Anyway, any idiot knows rookie WR's don't usually make an impact. Stop yelling for him to be cut. Give him time. Give him time.

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 18, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1,

When kelly blows three routes in a row, leading to 3 Jason Campbell INT's, you'll probably be yelling for Colt too. Unreal...

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 18, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Something is very very wrong if Kelly isn't dressing. I won't assume to know what the issue is, but these next 2 weeks should be all about the rookies. See what they have. If Kelly is so bad that its not worth taking a look, then it time to send a message. Be here, be prepared or be gone.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 4:23 PM

Something just doesn't add up.

We hear how great he looks in practice. He was supposed to be the most prepared of all the 3 2nd round picks to make it in the NFL. Now he's healthy and James Thrash gets the nod because of special freakin' teams and we have nothing to play for.

There's something really funny going on here.

Posted by: Predator48 | December 18, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Kelly aint gonna get cut. He'll be here next year. At any rate, at the very least you could trade him. I still think he'll be the real deal.

Posted by: Gweez | December 18, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

We only hear what they want us to hear. The media guys only get a couple of minutes and the coaches aren't going to kill a rookies confidence totally in the media if he's making some progress. I agree he should get the nod and some snaps, but lets not scream cut him. Way too shortsighted. Let him have another year of OTA's.

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 18, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

At this point special teams can't possibly get worse, let Kelly play, we're at the bottom of every statistical category on teams anyway, so whats the worst that could happen, we get bottomer?

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 18, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 18, 2008 3:49 PM

Yes, yes, and yes.

Add taylor's comments and we have a defeatist team with 2 game s left.

We have no established leadership and I'm not sure if Zorn was cut out to be a leader. OC, maybe. But he ain't the guy to stand up and lead highly paid atheletes. They are a different monster......

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 18, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm good with Campbell. Our QB problem is solved with him (though I realize that's not a consensus up here). If Kelly can't do 10 plays right by now, there is something hugely wrong.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Fair enough Shaun,

I don't think the need to fully represent one's total course of opinions is necessary, because nobody's trying to gain credibility points here. But anyway, if that's what you want, I was equally as excited as I was pissed when it happened. Excited because you can't argue with his stats, and thought he was clearly going to be an upgrade over anybody else we had at DE (aside from Carter), pissed because I thought the 2nd round pick was too much and because I always thought Jason Taylor was a bit overrated from the start.

Having said that, the move was still a very bad one that once again will unnecessarily cost this team. Regardless of what I or anybody else here thought at the time, a good talent manager would have been able to see that a Demetric Evans/Chris Wilson combo could have held their own, possibly along with some journeymen FAs, and it was unnecessary to use a 2nd round pick for any aging veteran for a team in the state of the Redskins.

Posted by: psps23 | December 18, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

... There's something really funny going on here.

Posted by: Predator48

My exact thoughts. My 'cut Kelly' comments were all proceeded by an 'if'. Something is very wrong ... but its not at all clear what that is. If its Kelly is just that bad ... then cut him. But I suspect there is a bigger story here ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

psps ... good comment on Taylor. That no one realized that Evans was a reasonable solution at DE is the issue that everyone had missed in the Taylor fiasco.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Campbell is fine. He's going to be an ok QB in the NFL. As long as you can run and have protection he'll do ok. If not he won't make plays except with his feet on occasion. Kinda depressing but we have like 30 games of evidence that points in that direction.

Posted by: Gweez | December 18, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Trade down, trade down, and then trade down some more...

Posted by: mrizzle | December 18, 2008 4:08 PM

Totally ... all the way down ... we can OWN the 7th round (except for the untradeable compensatory picks ... because those guys would SUCK anyway).

Posted by: dcsween | December 18, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 18, 2008 4:23 PM |

Yes. I do.

(Does the SSU somehow stand for Salsbury State?)

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 18, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

My goal for this week's game is to win the first quarter. Skins must have the worst first quarter scoring record in the NFL (except, maybe, for the teams who are worse at scoring).

Posted by: dcsween | December 18, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Mmmmmm ... Salsbury Steeeeeeak ...

Posted by: dcsween | December 18, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I still can defend the Taylor decision as a good choice that had bad results. Partly due to putting him where he wasn't at his best.

I thought that getting Taylor was about winning now. So where were the other 'win now' moves? TJ Housh, Anquan Boldin? Nothing.

The Taylor move was a poor move, not because Taylor failed, but because it wasn't part of a strategy.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

"Mmmmmm ... Salsbury Steeeeeeak ...

Posted by: dcsween | December 18, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse"

Dam Sween you beat me to the punch on that one!

Posted by: chrislarry | December 18, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 18, 2008 4:23 PM

Well, he actually started it*, or nearly started it, with the blown coverage on Donnie Avery in the Rams game. It was only after THAT Torrence problem got fixed (by cutting him) that the NEXT Torrence problem started -- the losing streak.

* According to the genii up here.

Posted by: dcsween | December 18, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg

Indeed it would not hurt, would it, since there is nothing to lose at this point? On the other hand maybe there just isn't that kind of plays drawn up in the playbook at all. If we did not see it against Cinncinnatti who had an awful defense then why do you think we will see it against Phila? I think that the Philadelphia defense will once again dictate what the Redskins will do on offense. It should be the other way around but this offense has no toys to play with anymore. I really dont care if Portis or Betts gets a hundred yards, or if Campbell has a 300 yard passing day out of the blue. It really does not matter at this point. I guess that Zorn will spend this offseason actually developing a real playbook because he sure came with the lite version this year.

Posted by: driley | December 18, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Jeez, if nothing else, put Kelly out there for a dozen or so run plays. See if the 6'4" guy can block.

Something is very wrong if Kelly doesn't dress. The question is ... what?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

DeAngelo Hall and Springs starting again this week. hhahahahahahahahaha. D. Hall sucks dude...he is so freakin' over-hyped, and will get his ass serevd to him on a platter this week...just wondering...how many of you are going to the game this weekend? It is going to be a sea of GREEN ! That is exactly what SNYDER and his CLOWNS deserve. FLY EAGLES FLY...ON THE ROAD TO VICTORYYYYYYYYYYY

Posted by: po403 | December 18, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

BEANTOWN GREG,CHRISLARRY,DCSWEEN,AND OTHERS:Will the Redskin coaching staff return intact and if it were your call who would you replace,by the way Chris Larry how's the baby?

Posted by: dargregmag | December 18, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

dargregmag, I have no idea ... I'm faking it like everyone else up here.

That said, I think the least likely guys to stay would be the ones close to retiring (or re-retiring) ... Joe Bugel and/or Rennie Simmons (TE coach) ... Gibbs got the band back together with those guys.

I don't see any reason for anyone else to go (unless he got offered a better job ... Jerry Gray, I'm looking at you).

Posted by: dcsween | December 18, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

What is it that they are not saying about Kelley? He SHOULD be playing just because he is a second round draft pick. He SHOULD be starting. He SHOULD be catching passes. Why would Zorn NOT play his best receivers? Why would Campbell NOT throw to him? Too many questions, so little time. I certainly hope that they straighten out ALL of this in the next two games. Then of course it wont be a disappointing season.

Posted by: driley | December 18, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Lemme re-think that ... if Gregg Williams gets a head coaching gig (he only signed up for a year in Jacksonville), I could see him making a play for Jerry Gray (secondary coach becomes his DC), Steve Jackson (safeties coach becomes his DC or secondary coach) and/or Kirk Olivadotti (LBs coach ... maybe makes him ST coach or some such).

Posted by: dcsween | December 18, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Dargegmag: Baby kicks azz! Loving every minute of it! Thanks!

Tough question re: the coaches. I think any changes that dont see Vinny shown the door our worthless. I am very turned off to Zorn. I am on the 4th bus that he just isn't the right coach and my fears from the day he was hired seem to be coming to fruition. HOWEVER if Vinny stays I see no reason to fire Zorn. Might as well hold serve at that point and see if dysfunction junction can get their act together.

BUTT

If Snyder has had enough of the Worm Tongue (geek alert) than I would have no problem canning everybody and starting fresh and clean from GM on down.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 18, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag | December 18, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

No way somebody does take the fall for the tailspin the season turned into. If I were in charge, it would be sherman smith, and an experience west coast OC would be hired and installed as the play caller. That way, Zorn can focus on working with Campbell, putting the gameplan together with the OC, and then on gameday the OC can call the plays and Zorn can just focus on full-team game management.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 18, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I imagine Gregg Williams (if HC somewhere) would also make a play for Bill Musgrove (currently QB coach in Atlanta ... formerly QB coach here) to be his OC ... seems like he's done OK with Matt Ryan.

The talking heads in sportsville media suggest there could be as many as ten head coaching gigs opening up. Jerry Gray was a defensive coordinator before he came here to replace DeWayne Walker as secondary coach. I could see both Jerry Gray AND DeWayne Walker (DC at UCLA) getting interviews (Rooney Rule) and probably HC gigs in the NFL. Same with Ron Riviera (LB coach in SD, former DC of Bears when they went to the Super Bowl).

Posted by: dcsween | December 18, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | December 18, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I hope that whatever it takes that Vinny is gone, if the only way that happens is Zorn goes to, so be it....

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 18, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

On asst coaches ... I just can't make that call. Its hard to know if an assistant coach is doing a good job unless something just stands out -- one way or the other.

For example, results on the field would lead me to think our WR coach isn't any good. But he may be a terrific coach dealing with complete knuckleheads.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I am still not sold on the WCO anyways. Are they any further along in personell for the West Coast Offense than they were six months ago? It does not seem so. Campbell does not seem suited to it. Who knows what current receivers would even make the team in two years. It's not too late to not go overboard on this system. Is it?

Posted by: driley | December 18, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I agree with that point Jack is making about Sherman Smith, but for different reasons. Firing Sherman Smith would be a rebuke to Zorn (Sherm is his guy) ... the softer penalty than firing him (which would be completely absurd, whether Vinny stays or not). I could see the Skins bringing in a replacement offensive coordinator with offensive line experience (depends on the fate of Joe Bugel) or SOMEONE else who can help Zorn merge his West Coast offense ideas with NFC East style football ... maybe someone who has worked with receivers. I posted something about the O-line coach in Tennessee who developed three starters from scratch and has what, in my mind, is the best line in the league. Do I think Kerry Collins is THAT good? No, I don't. Its his line.

Posted by: dcsween | December 18, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

no, we need to resign DeAngelo Hall. Lock him up for years!!!

Posted by: rachel216 | December 18, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

D Hall sucks you geniuses...did you watch him in Oakland....did you watch him in Cincinnati...do you realize how much of a turd this guy has always been in the lockerroom? Geez...not very smart

Posted by: po403 | December 18, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

JC doesn't seem suited to the West Coast offense? HILARIOUS...the guy is completing 60% + of his passes, and was on fire eraly in the season before he started getting his freakin' head punded in because of bad bad protection, ever since Pittsburgh opened the can of whup-ass that they did. His delivery, pace, tempo, etc is fine. get some receivers that can get open, and give him time..You people and your JC bashing are idiots

Posted by: po403 | December 18, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

We need to hope Philly wins this one, simply because it hurts the chances Dallas has of making the playoffs.

Go Ravens
Go Eagles (this time)
Go Falcons

Posted by: jgarrisn | December 18, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Kelly needs to play and if he does not know the offense that is on the coaching.

There is no way that guy can't get in the game and make plays.

Nobody does anything perfect, if Zorn thinks he will get these guys perfect he is an idiot.

If I see the same BS offense this week Zorn should go.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Scrue that ... F Philly. F Philly phans.

Posted by: dcsween | December 18, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Skins may be old and falling apart, but Dallas and Philly can't be more than a year behind the Skins ... in the falling apart category. Just say NO to "No to Zorn" ... just say "no" to blowing everything up ... just say "no" to "may I take the rest of those fries for you, sir?" ...

Posted by: dcsween | December 18, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

po403,

Its not hard to complete 60% when you only throw 5-10 yards down the field.

In the NFL receivers do not get wide open you have to be able to thread it.

You think good QB's in this league wait for receivers to get wide open.

They anticipate when the receiver will break and they throw the ball so that when he comes out of the break the ball is there.

JC is afraid to make mistakes but like he said today now that the pressure is off he can play more loose. Great!

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

dcsween,

I do not care if the Cowgirls and Eagles are falling apart to.

We need to blow this up because we want to win a SB some day, not just beat dallas and the Eagles.

This team needs to be rebuilt it will take a few years sorry but this team does nothing before 2011.

If they don't blow it up this year then I push that back to 2012.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

As for the comment/comparisons to Gibbs...
I LOVE Joe Gibbs...he is a legend. Repeat, LOVE him.
But face it, the offense had grown old and predictable with him as well. It was time for a change.
As for Z-Man, time for Snyder to realize a GM is needed, a Parcells type of guy. Keep Zorn, hire the right person to draft and handle players and let's get on with it.

Posted by: alco5521 | December 18, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

JC isn't more than a good backup. He's stiff and has zero anticipation.

Posted by: knight1977 | December 18, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

"Draft strategy:

Trade down, trade down, and then trade down some more...

Posted by: mrizzle | December 18, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse"

This makes sense. Trade down until Vinny doesn't care who gets selected and let someone who knows football make the picks.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | December 18, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

He had his chance. Remember who they went against last? The Bungles!? If they screw up against them how wi

________________________________________________

Posted by: periculum | December 18, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Bet blache goes from "love the guy, best quote in the building" to the worst defensive coach etc now that he answered the all knowing ones question with a lack of respect! Power to vertically challenged!!

Posted by: Lacantwrite | December 18, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

periculum,

Kelly was inactive for the Bengals game.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Not when he shows up for training camp out-of-shape then suffers an injury that precludes learning anything useful!!! His scouting report said he was immature and needed to learn to be a man. Can we say Brandon Lloyd?
_________________________________________________

Posted by: periculum | December 18, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Exactly. Its not like Zorn didn't need the help now is it?

__________________________________________________

periculum,

Kelly was inactive for the Bengals game.

Posted by: periculum | December 18, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

I hope Taylor retires ... best thing he could do for this team. They need the cap space.

Posted by: periculum | December 18, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | December 18, 2008 6:20 PM |

Taylor does not need to retire we have no cap hit if we cut him.

Either way it makes no difference.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Are we that stupid? Its not like there isn't politics at Redskins park? Don't you think that they believe Vinnie is an idiot too do you?

Blache clearly likes his job. Unfortunately, he had to deal with an idiot now.

_________________________________________________

Posted by: periculum | December 18, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

If Kelly is not hurt and Zorn doesn't dress him at this point. It's time for Zorn ass to go!

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 18, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Apparently, if he stays, Jason Taylor will make 8,000,000+ unless they cut him and resign him for a lot less.

These top dead cap figures appear to hurt a lot.

Two failed wide receiver "experiments" make up the top. Brunell probably was over paid but he did do the job he was brought in for. And then there's Todd Wade.

Obviously, Sean Taylor was worth more than Brunell, but he is deceased so he unfortunately becomes a dead cap figure

Brunell, Mark 3,114,000
Taylor, Sean 2,095,000
Lloyd, Brandon 1,833,000
Patten, David 1,525,000
Wade, Todd 1,266,000

Posted by: periculum | December 18, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Peri -- we spent $8 million on JT this year. But if we were really thinking rebuild, we could have taken your list and gotten just about all of these future hits off the books.

Brunell, Mark 3,114,000
Taylor, Sean 2,095,000
Lloyd, Brandon 1,833,000
Patten, David 1,525,000
Wade, Todd 1,266,000

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I believe the reason Kelly may not dress is because Fred Davis is going to play (same as last week). It's either Kelly or Davis - not both - the other one will be inactive.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 18, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R |

WTF!! He doesn't want more than two rookies dress at the same time. He has nothing to lose at this point by playing everyone. F Zorn!!!!!!

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 18, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

++++Seemed like a good idea at the time... some of the hindsight 20/20 stuff regarding Taylor here is pretty sad.

Posted by: shaunsherman12+++

Not everyone fell for it This was in a column written July 20, right after the trade for Taylor was made…

“Taylor, an all-pro, might seem like a steal and will improve the pass rush. But he's aging, undersized for the rigors of the NFC East, and will be forced to play out of position—switching to the left side of he line as the skins are set with Andre Carter at Right DE...

Taylor has two years left on his contract, (at $8 million per) and Redskins honcho Vinny Cerrato says he's "100% sure" Taylor will play both years. Even so, it seems unlikely the Redskins, in rebuilding mode, and with a rookie coach and a new offensive system can contend this year.

The 'skins offensive line is aging, too, and that second round pick might have come in handy to help replenish there.”

Who wrote it???? Modesty forbids me telling y… oh who am I kidding about modesty. I WROTE IT for NFLDRAFTDOG.Com.

I was dead wrong about him improving the pass rush, though…

Posted by: TheCork | December 18, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

While we're on the topic: Here's the latest column on

NFLDraftdog.com

AN EXCERPT:

"In the Navy, the Captain goes down with his sinking ship. If Snyder is the Captain, that ain't gonna happen. So let me nominate the executive officer to take the plunge—Vinny Cerrato. If he stays, whether or not they fire Zorn won't matter. If they do, he'll find the wrong coach to replace him, if they don't Zorn won't have the players (or system) to turn it around."

Posted by: TheCork | December 18, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Buh-bye, Jason. We hardly knew ya...

The only consolation I have that the Skins wasted a 2nd and 6th rounder on this guy is that Vinny would have totally botched the 2nd rounder (another WR anyone?) and found a decent special teamer/role player with the 6th rounder. In the grand scheme of what ails this team--not a big deal.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 18, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

I just watch the interview with Blach. Nice of JLC to leave out that Blach told him that he isn't too smart. LMAO

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 18, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | December 18, 2008 6:20 PM

I hope Taylor recovers in the off-season and comes back to the 'Skins for the vet minimum, returns to his old form, and proves to everyone that this year was an injury-driven fluke. That's the best thing he could do for the 'Skins.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 18, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 18, 2008 7:29 PM |

JM--That is great. But, if Blache told me that I was no good as a talent evaluator, I'd probably leave it off the blog, too. Me and Jasno, we're only human.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 18, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Blache may have called out Jasno, but he also called out Andre Carter and Jason Taylor, saying they aren't good pass rushers. Which is exactly what they were supposed to be when the Skins signed them ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

John Madden on Sammy Baugh:

John, did you know that the only number the Redskins ever retired is Baugh's #33?

Madden: No, but if you're only going to retire one number, that's the one to retire.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

John Madden's daily podcasts

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 8:28 PM |

Well, that's more serious, since Carter and Taylor are actually on the team and Jasno, not so much.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 18, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Vinatieri just blew a short kick, they cut to Manning and he's giving him the Vanderjagt look. Gotta love that look.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 18, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

This may be my own personal Priest Holmes topic, but why does Andre Carter play at 260, with 4% bodyfat?

Why not put on 25 lbs and play with a little heft? He's not beating anybody around the corner anyway.

Fat stores energy. The guy's too lean and poops out.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 18, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure blache didn't even realize it was jla asking the " not smart" question. Hard to see the little guy nestled behind everyone else snickering as he asks the question.

Posted by: Lacantwrite | December 18, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Trade down, trade down, and then trade down some more...

Posted by: mrizzle | December 18, 2008 4:08 PM

Posted by: dcsween | December 18, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

On no, dc, I think we can continue to trade down, trade down, get rid of those dreaded 7th round picks, and end up with nothing but FA's. That's the advantage of trading down. (emphasis on sarcasm).

Posted by: frediefritz | December 18, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 18, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Wow, who are you kidding. He won't come back for the league minimum. He won't come back for less than his $8 mill contract.

Bye'bye, JT/

Posted by: frediefritz | December 18, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I think we need to recognize that Blatche and GG want something different in DE's. They want someone who will collapse the pocket and pressure the QB. Some of these DE's, like JT #55, like to rush wide and sneak back to the QB for a sack. Blatche wants them to bull-rush and collapse the pocket. Totally differnet style of defense.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 18, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

good point freddiefritzy, epitomized by phillip daniels during the 2005 playoff push. he was beast during that stretch doing exactly that. I think d-evans plays that way too.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 18, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

It takes a longer time to develope nfl o-lineman from college all 5 of them must work as 1. washington should trade down and get a 2nd and 3rd or 4th round draft pick and pick de & of line with those picks. Play the young players NOW,see what they can do (broughton,westbrook,rinehart,tryon,brennan etc.)

Posted by: wathu19 | December 18, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

LOL... Holy crap.

That Greg Blache press conference on redskins.com is hilarious.

He treated JLC like the Village Idiot (which I guess he is, in a way).

Guess Blache will be the next on Jasno's s-list.

I don't think Greg will lose any sleep over it.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 18, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

A lot of comments calling out the coaching staff for not playing Malcolm Kelly to "see what he can do." The coaching staff sees him in practice every day and they see how desperately the team needs help at WR. If he can't get on the field I have to doubt it's because the coaching staff is too stupid to play him.

I still have hopes MK will develop, but Taylor Jacobs was a 2nd round WR drafted from a top college program, too. It's not like every 2nd round WR deserves playing time.

Posted by: beatkal | December 18, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

What Blache said to JLC that didn't make it into JLC's post:

"I've explained this a bunch of times. Obviously, you haven't paid attention or you're not real bright because I've said it before. I mean on countless occasions I've explained this. Obviously I haven't given you the answer you're looking for. So if you keep asking me, I might eventually give in.... I wouldn't bet on it."

LMAO

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 18, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

This is a game where we need to be looking at what we have for next year.

The bar is 2 inches high for Kelly has a boost!!! If he can't clear this bar ... well ... something is very wrong with this picture.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

While we're on the topic: Here's the latest column on

NFLDraftdog.com

Posted by: TheCork | December 18, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Interesting stuff, thanks for posting. I wonder if people here are more willing to accept this view from a different source? The list of receivers was telling.

Posted by: beatkal | December 18, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Over at www.firecerrato.com, the Taylor signing is the latest in moves called "pulling a Sanders"

Typical move in the long list of this GM's "Bug-Eyed Blunders"

PLEASE HELP ME over at www.firecerrato.com build the most comprehensive list of Bug-Eyed Blunders possible!! Click on the "Save Our Skins Forum"

The site will be way better in a few weeks, give us time it is a bit sloppy right now. We hope to have it looking great and functioning perfectly by the draft, where Vinny will screw up again and we will have our hands full!

Posted by: SonnyFan | December 18, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Saw the Blache video where he called out Jasno. Blache is an entertaining guy. The way he suggested the lack of pressure is beating a dead horse does make amusing video ... but guess what ... the lack of pass rush IS a problem, whether Blache likes the question or not.

Its also clear that Blache doesn't like Jasno, his body language totally turned when Jasno asked his question. Not sure if its personal, or if Blache just knows his bosses want to see Jasno treated differently.

FWIW, Jasno attributed some of his question and implied they were part of Blache's thoughts. Not good reporting in that respect.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Just caught up with the blog today and this is my take:

1. Periculm = dumb a$$

2. PSP23 = JLC or someone JLC has info/pictures on.

3. Agree with cL on Zorn

4. Lisa said JT was a stand up guy. Only way this is true is if he comes back at the vet minium (he owes us from this season).

5. Blache is the man. This season was not lost by the Defense regardless of pass rush.

6. Kelly should play on Sunday.

7. Cork = fast forward to next comment.

8. F Vinny and DS.

9. HAIL Slinging Sammy!!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 19, 2008 12:16 AM | Report abuse

i didn't read jasno's post about what happened at the presser. but i just saw the video of it.

zeces, no it's not personal with blache. he's like that with everyone. i saw him turn on strawberry shortcake in a split second after one of their losses (or might have been a win) on TV cuz he didn't like the question she asked.

i don't know if blache is a better coach than gregg williams but gregg never snapped like that with anyone. he was much more media savy than blache.

again doesn't mean blache isn't a good coach. personally i didn't like the way he treated strawberry shortcake. couldn't care less about what happened to jasno ;). just playing!

Posted by: dealer1 | December 19, 2008 12:18 AM | Report abuse

OMG! Blatch for HC! Nothing less is acceptable!

I use to play around with the JLaC being a hater, but now that has all changed.

I'm sure JLaC has been asking about sacks since week 3 or 4 and it's now week 16 and our playoff chances are slim after a great start. Ofcourse Blatche might be a little testy having to address the SAME question from the same person every week.

And I'm watching a JT55 commercial and he's not represtenting his team as every NFL player does. He's just wearing a generic NFL t-shirt. Wow...

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 19, 2008 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Cl, thanks for hoping on the bus. Do you wanna live through another Norv? I don't.

F WCO on the East Coast
F Zorn for not leading men
F JT55 for trying to released
F LFB for not keeping his head up (That's just tough love because I love the guy)
F Snyder for being rich and young at the right time
F JLaC for glowing in his hatred
F Negativity
F Sammy Baugh for leaving us here on earth(though I am happy he got to live his life his way. He yams what he yams)

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 19, 2008 12:38 AM | Report abuse

I am worried that by writing on two sites, Corky is cutting down on his impact on RI... and if we don't blog a lot harder, I don't see how Vinnie gets fired.

You'd have a better -- and more accurate -- list of players if you ordered them by draft order, and added Merling and Calais Campbell to the mix. Also, add John Carlson from SEA, who was picked between Thomas and Davis. Reading that list right now makes you believe that we could've chosen Avery (#33) or Keller (#30).

Far be it for me to defend Vinnie -- he can do that poorly enough by himself -- but you can't accuse him of misleading and stretching facts and then do the same yourself.
Well, you can, but it doesn't look that good. Or get Vinnie fired.

Posted by: daggar | December 19, 2008 1:02 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Curz - I saw something about digital photography earlier - the GIMP has a fair amount of power, but it's like handing someone a wrench. If that someone isn't a wrench-user, you'll get a blank stare.
For simple photo work (like red-eye reduction, simple cropping, etc.) I recommend Google Picasa.
Because it's free.
And from google.
And the chicks dig it.

Posted by: daggar | December 19, 2008 1:08 AM | Report abuse

Read the article on Devin Thomas. The end, which I excerpt here, is incredibly enlightening!!! For those who suggest that other teams have figured Zorn out, Hixon pretty much tells you why!!! But read it and answer the poll question

***

Thomas "In practice, you might rep one play all week. Regardless if you're starting or not, they just might rep a play one time all week. But then it's in the game plan for the game and you're expected to know it. That's a tough thing in itself. In the NFL, you've got a book so big, and a coach can pull a play from anywhere in that book. That's where it's tough. He might go to a play that you did three weeks ago, and you've still got to remember how it's down, routes, splits and everything."

Well, not exactly, wide receivers coach Stan Hixon said. " in this offense right here, it's basically the same plays each week," Hixon said. "The wildest we get is different formations. We're in Week 16. There may have been one or two plays that we called that weren't in the game plan."

***

POLL QUESTION:
Is the problem here the coach or the player?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 19, 2008 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Just caught up with the blog today and this is my take:

1. Periculm = dumb a$$

2. PSP23 = JLC or someone JLC has info/pictures on.

3. Agree with cL on Zorn

6. Kelly should play on Sunday.

7. Cork = fast forward to next comment.

8. F Vinny and DS.

9. HAIL Slinging Sammy!!!

Posted by: Curzon417+++

Number 7 might hurt my feelings except your list makes me realize your medum of choice should be bathroom stalls...

"F Vinny and DS" How insightful....

Posted by: TheCork | December 19, 2008 1:29 AM | Report abuse

+++Define different. Just 'cause Corky lives near SF doesn't make him different in that way (not that there's anything wrong with that!)++++ Dagar

Corky actually lives near LA. And there IS lots wrong with LA....

Posted by: TheCork | December 19, 2008 1:32 AM | Report abuse

To the idiot that said Dallas will be falling apart soon, maybe you should check the facts on that claim:

-18 of 22 starters are under 30 and almost every key player is signed for at least the next 4 seasons. Jerry Jones knows the value of retaining your own players rather than chasing free agents

-14 of 22 starters were drafted/started with Dallas. Jerry Jones knows how to draft/find rookie free agents and develop those players

-Romo is 28 and a top 5 NFL QB

-Witten is 26 and the best TE in the NFL

-Ware is 25 and the best defensive player in the NFL

-2008 draft:

1-Felix Jones
1-Mike Jenkins
2-Martellus Bennett
4-Tashard Choice
5-Orlando Scandrick
All key contributers this year and all better than every draft pick of the redskins other than mayve Chris Horton(even though he has faded and hurt)

-We have 9 picks in this year's draft and should get 2 more compensatory picks for Julius Jones and Jacques Reeves. 2nd, 3rd(from Cleveland), 4th, 4th(from Detroit), 5th, 5th(from Tennessee), 6th, 6th(from Miami), 7th

-Jerry was smart enough to trade next year's 1st and 3rd for Roy Williams who can replace Owens as the #1 WR over the next few seasons

Dallas is going to be a Super Bowl contender for at least the next 3-5 years with this current core of players.

Get used to it danny, vinny and all redskins fans!!!!!!!!

Posted by: playmaker88 | December 19, 2008 2:03 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, and we have 2 of the best kickers and punters in the NFL in Nick Folk and Mat McBriar---homegrown too!!!

Posted by: playmaker88 | December 19, 2008 2:05 AM | Report abuse

Jason should not go out on this note. He still has the quickest feet on any defensive line. He is one of the best guys. The injuries are the reason he has not had the productivity. Please sign at least one more year.

Posted by: hz9604 | December 19, 2008 5:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hz9604 | December 19, 2008 5:09 AM |

Dude he can not play in a 4-3 against 330 pound linemen.

You want to waist another 8mil for 1 sack, no thanks.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 6:27 AM | Report abuse

Well, you can, but it doesn't look that good. Or get Vinnie fired.

Posted by: daggar | December 19, 2008 1:02 AM |

I hate to defend Cork here but if we had not traded back we could have drafted any of these players.

I still support the trading back move, just think the picks could have been used more wisely.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Corky, the "F this or that" has a long tradition and some times says it best.

Brevity my man, look into it.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 19, 2008 7:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm wondering if there is some animosity between Vinny and Zorn over the playing time of the rookie receivers.

I think Vinny would want them on the field, and is probably pissed that they have gotten very little playing time, and when they do play they do not get the ball thrown to them.

I'm not saying Vinny should feel this way but I bet he does, this could be another issue in wether Zorn stays or goes.

Vinny could have helped his cause here by getting rid of Thrash, then Zorn would have had little choice of who to play as the 3rd WR.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 7:47 AM | Report abuse

This team needs upgrades on both the offensive and defensive lines. To suggest we upgrade in other areas is useless with out fundamental differences in the trenches. The defensive line is pathetic. Its a wonder they don't get torched for more passing yards each week with the lack of pass rush they provide. The O-Line is old and not capable of dealing with the combo of speed and power evident in every other NFC East's D-Lines. It has to start there. Forget drafting WR's and TE's that can't even get on the field. This rebuild must start up front on both sides of the ball. This team is several years away from being in the conversation of teams expected to compete for a division title and make a run in the playoffs. Not enough draft picks, and by the time we rebuild through the draft, the skill players will be past their primes. The sins of the past continue to revisit this management style as we have no chance at rebuilding with youthful talent. I guess signing all the big name FA's is the way to go? Didn't Darth Snyder try that already a couple of times, only to watch it blow up in our faces?

Posted by: factor71 | December 19, 2008 7:51 AM | Report abuse

That's all gone. When times get tough, this 2008 team self-destructed.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 3:52 PM

No, no, no... not "self-destructed"... they are "staying medium."

Posted by: TS_Alfabet | December 19, 2008 7:53 AM | Report abuse

No, no, no... not "self-destructed"... they are "staying medium."

Posted by: TS_Alfabet | December 19, 2008 7:53 AM

"Staying medium" is one thing...this team is staying mediocre...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 19, 2008 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: factor71 | December 19, 2008 7:51 AM

Absolutely have to get the O Line rehabbed in a major way, but Skins are not necessarily years away from competing. This is the NFL which means "No Front-runner League." Every year we seem a handful of teams that fall apart and another handful that were awful the year before and are contending the next.

As long as the Skins have no decent Front Office, we will be average to below average. Now we see what a genius Gibbs really was in his 2nd go round: he was talented enuf to overcome the horrible FO this Team has and still get to the playoffs, even the 2d round of the playoffs, 2 out of his 4 years. And even more, he was smart enough to see the train wreck coming and got out.

Posted by: TS_Alfabet | December 19, 2008 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lacantwrite

Nope he looks right at hime. It is really funny. You can see it for yourself on Skins.com

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 19, 2008 8:01 AM | Report abuse

No, no, no... not "self-destructed"... they are "staying medium."

Posted by: TS_Alfabet | December 19, 2008 7:53 AM

"Staying medium" is one thing...this team is staying mediocre...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 19, 2008 7:58 AM

Well, right. When was the last time anyone heard a football coach inspire his team by telling them,"OK men, let's get MEDIUM!!!"

No more redskin purchases until we get a real GM in the house.

Posted by: TS_Alfabet | December 19, 2008 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TS_Alfabet | December 19, 2008 7:59 AM

Gibbs was the head of the FO's his second time around and had final say on all moves.

So he deserves some of the blame for the choices that were made.

Gibbs was a great coach, not so much of a personel guy.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

"Staying medium" is the new "super smart".

Both approaches are starting to get on my dam nerves.

Posted by: Predator48 | December 19, 2008 8:05 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Cindy Boren | December 19, 2008 8:11 AM | Report abuse

TO much whining going on here today......what did you people expect for a FIRST YEAR with a new coach and new system and purging of an old roster....

Bunch of crybabies expect all of the Redskins problems from years to be remedied in a day.

Please be honest with yourself in that this was the 1st year of an influx of youth to the program and the building of a new generation of skins.

Gibbs knew that the team he built went as far as it could and left....he did it in the 90s and he did it again last year.

I love the guy but Zorn inherited an aging roster whose lines must be rebuilt through the draft and free agency.

Everyone has been screaming about building through the draft and now that they are actually doing it they are crying about it.

We'll see what happens if 2010 is uncapped but I like that the skins have avoided the huge signings the past couple years (save for Taylor....but lets be honest....that was 100% necessary due to all the injuries).

Let the Youth influx continue....and YES....please get Haynesworth to pair with a rookie.....

Posted by: goosedude | December 19, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I am new to this discussion but I thought I remembered Blache, Zorn, other coaches and players being asked about Jason Taylor before the trade and they supported it. Were they unaware of his size and his playing mostly a linebacker type position? If he didn't work into the scheme of DE why didn't they try him more at linebacker? Additional thought - Julius Peppers and Albert Haynesworth will have no problem getting the money somewhere else without the drama in DC.

Posted by: Tpecca | December 19, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse