Jaworski on Allen: 'I think it's a good move'

The last time the ESPN crew came to Washington for Monday Night Football, the Redskins had just stripped coach Jim Zorn of his play-calling duties, installing consultant  Sherm Lewis as a play-caller. Not a bad storyline.

But the MNF crew has a meatier story this week, when the Giants come to FedEx Field. So how prominently will today's front office shake-up at Redskins Park be discussed during the Monday night telecast?

"I will guarantee you, it'll be just like when Sherm came in, that became the story. Then it was all the Bingo talk, the blah, blah, blah," said Ron Jaworski, ESPN's veteran analyst who's been in the MNF booth since 2007. "This is a huge story. Most teams don't do this at this point in the season."

If you're concerned how the ouster of Vinny Cerrato and hiring of Bruce Allen will be portrayed, fear not -- Jaws says he likes the move.

"I think it's a good decision on Dan's part," Jaworski said of Redskins owner Daniel Snyder. "He's bringing in a guy who's well-respected, a guy who's very bright, a guy who's familiar with Washington. I think it's a good move."

Jaworski knows the timing will raise some eyebrows. Why not wait until after the season? The way Jaws sees it, Snyder has given Allen a head start on the evaluation process.

"People may say it's bad timing, I say it's great. He gets to look at this team for three games, see them against NFC East competition," Jaworski said. "He'll hang around, see this team. In the offseason, you don't get a chance to see the team. You learn about them when they're playing games."

Of course, there is that looming question about autonomy. Jaworski says he'll be as curious as anyone to learn more Allen's exact role and responsibilities - "You know, what are the boundaries he has to work within?"

As a veteran analyst, Jaworski is fairly familiar with Allen and his teams. He has heard the knocks - mainly, that Allen isn't a top-shelf personnel guy - but doesn't necessarily agree.

"He's been around the game. He understands the game. I love people that understand it. Unfortunately, sometimes you kind of get pigeon-holed, 'Oh, he's just a [salary] cap guy,' things like that," Jaworski said. "That's a perception that people have; I'm not sure that's a reality. He's been around the game; he knows how to run an organization. And I'm sure as long as he was around Gruden in those days, he learned a lot of football."

The Gruden in that sentence is Jon Gruden, Allen's former coach in Tampa Bay and Jaworski broadcast partner on Monday Night Football.

So what does Jaws think about Gruden and his future? Well, you'll have to check back because I haven't transcribed that part yet.

By Rick Maese  |  December 17, 2009; 2:18 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Goodell: Redskins complied with Rooney Rule
Next: Snyder introduces Allen (updated)

Comments

Everybody but Mama Cerrato loves this move...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 17, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

If this is the case and the Skins did advance work, does that mean they were able to contain a leak? (for once.)

Posted by: DCV1 | December 17, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I vote for the Sports Guru to be the next head coach of the Washington Redskins!

Who is with me?!?!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | December 17, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

DCV1, perhaps Cerrato was the chief leak officer... he was out of the loop on this one until the boom was lowered and therefore unable to leak it.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 17, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

DMV lovers: Shawn Sherman, Richard Cranium, The Cork.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | December 17, 2009 2:03 PM |

Blog update - add the Poopster to the list.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | December 17, 2009 2:23 PM
----------------

I would've thought, the way that DMV, so viciously attacked me in the previous blog entry that it would be Barno1, not I, who would be on DMV's "Lovers" list.

I'da figured I'd be on the DMV Hates list.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 17, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm. Gruden or Shanahan? I dunno. They both have their upsides and downsides....I think Gruden, since the relationship with the GM is already established.

Agree with Jaworski that it is a good move to let Allen see these guys in action for a few weeks in order to get a better perspective.

Assuming a new coach comes in, the next question is: who on the staff stays, if anyone?

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 17, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Greg/Red

PFT is reporting that Michael Wilbon has been fired from his ESPN show PTI for remarks that he hasn’t made yet that are disparaging to the memory of Chris Henry.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 17, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Another thing with Shanny is the question about how long he would be here.

Dude is getting up there in age, and unless he wants to pull a JoePa, I doubt he would be here for more than 5 years. In a perfect world, I'd love a younger coach who can be here longer -- for example, Andy Reid has been in Philly forever, Cowher was in Pittsburgh for a long time, as Dungy was in Indy, etc.

Posted by: mattylight | December 17, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Who is with me?!?!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | December 17, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse
I think you're on your own, SG.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 17, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Poopy_McPoop = best name on the blog.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 17, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCV1

Only two people were aware of this around this time yesterday.

One of them was already shown the door.

It was reported that it came as a surprise to many in Ashburn.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 17, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Jaws must be doing cartwheels at the prospect of a two-man booth next season. Three-man booths suck.

Posted by: rooster75 | December 17, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Poopy_McPoop = best name on the blog.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 17, 2009

shaunsherman12 = worst judge of names on the blog

Posted by: League-Source | December 17, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Cindy must be thrilled with around 1200 comments since 7:00 AM.

Posted by: Markin21132 | December 17, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

JLC is reporting that Gruden is locked into an ironclad deal with MNF thru 2010.

For whatever JLC's reporting means to you..

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 17, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

The best unreported aspect to this story is important. With Bruce Allen in place, there will be no hiring of a GM/HC. The coach will just coach. So guys who are interested in having that all powerful job need not apply.

As a corollary, this it opens up the number of coaches who would be interested in the Redskins job. I doubt Cowher or Gruden would work for Cerrato, but I'd guess they would be fine with Bruce Allen. Same goes for top coordinators.

My longshot guess for our next HC -- Harbaugh from Stanford.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 17, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Only two people were aware of this around this time yesterday.

One of them was already shown the door.

It was reported that it came as a surprise to many in Ashburn.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 17, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse
---------

You would think they had talked to Allen long before just yesterday, figuring they had to negotiate this deal, and they had to follow the Rooney Rule, so there was at least one other interview.

It certainly appears this was planned well in advance.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 17, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I like the MNF crew right now....although I have a very hard time figuring out if it's Jaws or Gruden talking....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 17, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I'da figured I'd be on the DMV Hates list.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop

Oh chill out dude, no one hates you, at least I don't. And attack you? I think you need to read some of my past post while you're looking to copy and past Barno's.

But it does like you may suffer from Barno1 envy is all I'm saying. If not, then why make it your point to point and laugh at the dude after he dropped his lunch tray in the cafeteria?

Of all the people that get on my gd nerves, you're not one that comes to mind.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 17, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Gruden is best known for his mugging on the sidelines... Ol' Chucky lookin' dude and what not.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 17, 2009 2:23 PM |

So if we follow the "Chucky" script, when greaseball Cerrato was offed his soul transferred to "Chucky" Gruden who if he becomes HC will wreak havoc just as the Vinnster did and Snyder will be in mortal danger.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | December 17, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Poopy_McPoop = best name on the blog.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 17, 2009

shaunsherman12 = worst judge of names on the blog

Posted by: League-Source | December 17, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse
-------------

League-Source = there is no such thing. Reporters just make you up as they go along.

Hey, if you've followed this team over the last 15, Poopy McPoop pretty much sums it up.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 17, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

shaunsherman12 = worst judge of names on the blog

Posted by: League-Source | December 17, 2009 2:34 PM

League-Source = biggest hate on the blog

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 17, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Man, this really takes the wind out of Michael Wilbon's sails. So maybe he'll have to blast Chris Henry for leading the thug life, riding in the back of a pickup.

Posted by: League-Source

It is sad another young man is dead and his children fatherless. How many servicemen and women continue to die everyday for this War?
The history of Chris Henry is still replete with his many bad choices. If Wilbon decides to report those, that's not blasting him.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 17, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

dl, the way to tell the difference is gruden is usually starting, or ending what he's saying with, "and I love this guy", and the screen will show a picture of brett favre.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 17, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Cindy must be thrilled with around 1200 comments since 7:00 AM.

Posted by: Markin21132 | December 17, 2009 2:36 PM

Cerrato firing is to the Post's advertising revenues as the day after Thanksgiving is to retail sales. People have been lined up since forever waiting for the doors to open on this one!

Posted by: League-Source | December 17, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 17, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | December 17, 2009 2:37 PM
------------------

Because both (Barno's predictions/his sanctimonious attitude towards other fans as well as the kid dropping his lunch tray in the cafeteria) are both extremely funny.

That's why.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 17, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 17, 2009 2:39 PM

Pwnage! ;-)

Posted by: Sports_Guru | December 17, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

DMV lovers: Shawn Sherman, Richard Cranium, The Cork.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | December 17, 2009 2:03 PM |

Blog update - add the Poopster to the list.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | December 17, 2009 2:23 PM
----------------

I'da figured I'd be on the DMV Hates list.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 17, 2009 2:31 PM |

Dude - how can you be so dense? "DMV lovers" refers to those like yourself who love the dud - he gives you hardon. Not those the dud loves. Dud don't love no one except hisself. That obvious.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | December 17, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I honestly think Zorn should get another year under Allen. Allen has to sit down with him and say,

'Jim, you gotta lot of things to improve on, such as personnel decisions and game management, and I expect results there. But this is a rebuilding process which is only partly complete. Last season saw several veterans exit while several fragile veterans were retained. There will be no excuses next year, so make this your team and take it as far as you can in 2010.'

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 17, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

shaunsherman12 = worst judge of names on the blog

Posted by: League-Source | December 17, 2009 2:34 PM

League-Source = biggest hate on the blog

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 17, 2009 2:41 PM

Beantown Greg - best use of sound effects on the blog

Posted by: ElYeah | December 17, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Is there ANY chance he will leave the current staff in place and roll with JC?

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 17, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

u r such a tease "Well, you'll have to check back because I haven't transcribed that part yet."

Posted by: daddy00 | December 17, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Well the chalk board has been erased...now start over, you will write, I will win the Super bowl... write this 200 times and then you Mr Snyder may go home... can You imagine Gruden and Snyder in same office... I can and lmao... Gruden will take Snyders lunch money everday. too strong of a personality for snyder and if Allen can buffer the romance maybe we have a winner... all that said the real deal is vinny is gone,in the wind.... along 10 years coming... hope has come to D.C. HTTR

Posted by: travmanf | December 17, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse