Jaworski: Gruden 'pushes everybody to be better'

Time will tell how many changes Bruce Allen thinks are required at Redskins Park, but one of the biggest he'll need to make surrounds the head coaching position. If Jim Zorn isn't the answer, who is?

Most of the speculation, surrounds Mike Shanahan, but Jon Gruden's name has been in the mix, particularly because he coached under Allen in Oakland and Tampa Bay.

Not surprisingly, Gruden's name came up earlier today in a conversation with Ron Jaworski, the veteran ESPN analyst who sits next to Gruden each week in the "Monday Night Football" booth.

"He's phenomenal," Jaworski said of Gruden. "I really, really enjoy working with him. He has that coaching mentality. He challenges everybody. He pushes everybody to be better. It's just great."

Coaching mentality, eh? So will he get back in coaching?

Jaworski didn't want to speculate about someone else's future, but other sources around ESPN say they'd be surprised if Gruden tried to get out of his contract and returned to coaching so soon after signing a lucrative contract extension.

Jaworski did acknowledge -- by way of a compliment, not a guess about Gruden's immediate future -- that Gruden is the type of man who does seem to have coaching in his blood.

"I was thrilled when he agreed to stay. I think he's enjoying this, and we're having fun. He's said it," Jaworski said. "Most people don't realize how hard these guys work, the hours they put in. He's been coaching 26 years out of his life. He's finally getting a chance to do some of the things he didn't have time for before."

"Jon's a coach. He loves being out there, loves the leadership position. But I do know that he's enjoying this part of his life."

Gruden and Allen are friends, and Jaworski said that relationship seems to speak highly of Allen.

"I haven't been around [Allen] the same way, but as far as work ethic, from what Jon tells me, he just works his tail off," Jaworski said. "Cares tremendously about his job and being successful."

By Rick Maese  |  December 18, 2009; 9:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Allen's 'people skills' leave an impression
Next: Predict Monday's result

Comments

Cerrato will remain with the Redskins as a Snyder consultant
Posted by Mike Florio on December 18, 2009 12:14 AM ET
With Vinny Cerrato resigning his position as executive V.P. of football operations in D.C., most people assume that he'll no longer be working for the team.

And that assumption would be incorrect.

Per a league source, Cerrato will be remaining with the franchise as a consultant to owner Daniel Snyder.

Frankly, however, we're not sure how much consulting Vinny will be doing. The suspicion is that Cerrato will remain on the payroll in order to ensure that he doesn't blab about company secrets, including for example the truth regarding the recruitment of Albert Haynesworth (whatever that truth might be), the facts regarding any communications with and involvement of Mike Shanahan in recent moves made by the team (whatever those facts might be), and the details regarding other potentially sensitive issues (whatever those details might be).

So it's unlikely that Cerrato will be complaining to Snyder that Allen and/or the head coach are doing things incorrectly and that Cerrato could be doing them better if only he had another chance. Even though he's already been fired and returned once before, we seriously doubt that Cerrato will be Snyder's Billy Martin.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Crap!!!

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 18, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Coaching Carousel, looks like Snyder got the GM he wanted.

RIP Chris Henry

Posted by: Stu27 | December 18, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

If you think about it there has only been one coach who has had great success without a great QB and that is Gibbs.

Jimmy Johnson he had success why Troy Aikman, no coach is going to win lots of SB without a great QB. Well accept Joe.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

zj,

Old news already discussed.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

The DMV is going to get hammered tonight by a big snowstorm.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

My .02.

Shanahan is the better coach.

Gruden is more likely to be a long-term solution.

I'd take either one in a heartbeat.

Posted by: psps23 | December 18, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

How hilarious would it be if Jaws said something like "Gruden is just not a good fit, he's not really a great coach. He's much better suited for the gig he already has"

Posted by: REXskins | December 18, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

On whether or not Vinny Cerrato was offered a chance to stay with the organization in some capacity:

Snyder - "We wish Vinny well and appreciate his efforts very much. He worked awful hard. I think the best way to put it is it was time for a change."

I think that's a big NO!

Posted by: charley42 | December 18, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

It's easier than that. He is an RFA, tender him an pay him under 4 mil next year and if some team wants him collect the draft picks.

That's the move to make.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 18, 2009 1:45 AM | Report abuse

Agreed that we tender him, but I don't think it's exactly that easy. My understanding is draft pick compensation received if an RFA signs elsewhere is based on the level of your tender. I think to get max compensation (1st and 3rd), you have to offer him more than $3 million for one year. Can someone clarify exactly how this works? Thanks.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 18, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

offseason, yeah, I hear you, I hate coach's who have a proven track record of success...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 18, 2009 9:14 AM

You're a little touchy this morning, huh Bean? I think Shanny would be an upgrade, but I think other younger coaches would be too. I'd like to keep a coach for more than 5 years, which is probably what we would get with Shannahan.

Posted by: OffseasonChamps | December 18, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

psp, agreed, although I'm not sure how the teams that Gruden coached were as far as the offense was concerned....I know they embodied the WCO...all things considered, I think Shanny will be the guy....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 18, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Really what success has eaither of those guys had as a head coach, that would be none. I'm not saying they would'nt be good head coaches, but it would be a crap shoot. What success has BB had without Brady, what success did Walsh have without Montana or Young.

Im not saying that it has to be one of the guys I mentioned, I just dont think that Shanahan is the answer. The skins need a no nonsense kind of guy in the Schottenheimer mold. I think the only thing that Shanahan brings is his offensive prowess. By the way the Broncos only one the AFC West once after Elway's departure, not five times. He is not a horrible coach, he is just not the coach we need imo

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | December 18, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I'm just so excited that we're only 3 weeks from the start of the 2010 season! Oh and that with Vinny out I can stay a skins fan.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 18, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Why is nobody mentioning Holmgren?

Fact:Blache met with Sherm Lewis in Detroit. Next thing you know he is overseeing the offense.

Fact:Both Blache and Sherm Lewis are Holgren Guys. They worked with him in Green Bay.

By Lewis being there and tweeking the offense, calling plays and learning the players tendencies, there will be virtually no learning curve next year when Holmgren takes over and makes Lewis his OC.

Posted by: heyjoe728 | December 18, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

From CSN:

That would be cool with me.

Posted by: REXskins | December 18, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Someone else said that because Gruden and Shanahan are such obvious picks, it will be someone else. I wouldn't rule out Fassel or Haslet. The both did okay in UFL and, although not as glamorous, are both pretty good coaches. Remember, Snyder almost hired Fassel when Gibbs left.

I also like the idea of Doug Williams coming to Redskins park in some capacity. I think it is a great idea to link the winning history of the Redskins to today's franchise. My theory is, if you surround yourself with enough people who have experienced the best your organization can be, they pull the others up. Those people who have been there expect greatness instead of hoping for it, and that feeling is contagious. The team needs more of this.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 18, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Flound, While I do like the snow (probably one of the few adults that do), I'm pissed that it's coming during the weekend.

Why not in the middle of the week, say Tuesday? Then I'd get to kick back and chill at home all day.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 18, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

REXskins

"Kelli also hears that Shanahan would name his son Kyle as the Redskins new offensive coordinator. Kyle currently holds that same position with the Houston Texans."

That means speed, tackles, four wide looks and A Johnson.

Out of all of them, Johnson is the hardest thing to get.

Unless we decide to draft Dez Bryant.

Did I say that?

Oooooppppppssss.....

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 18, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

KingJoffeJoffer my apologies you're correct on the AFC West thing. Sorry I got thrown off by the four 10+ winning seasons, and the 4 playoff appearances. Maybe it's the three consecutive years making it into the playoffs since Elway left that did it. My point is to say that Shanahan was successful only because he coached Elway is not a true statement.

Posted by: TWISI | December 18, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Why is nobody mentioning Holmgren?

Posted by: heyjoe728 | December 18, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------

By most accounts Holmgren doesn't want to coach. He's angling for a GM position or higher (like the Tuna deal in Miami)

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 18, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

It sounds like Doug Williams and Morocco Brown have the same job. Do you make the change, or stay with what we've got. Or perhaps move one of them to another position?

Posted by: daggar | December 18, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

red, its a balmy 15 degrees up here, and we're expecting snow as well this weekend....

offseason, I'm not looking 5 years down the road...I'm more interested in fielding a competitive team in 2010....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 18, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Good morning to all Redskins fans!

I hope you are having a cheerful and glorious day on this wonderful Friday morning!!

I don't know what it is, but I feel lighter and freer than I've felt in a year and a half regarding the outlook for our Redskins!!!

Posted by: p1funk | December 18, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Why is nobody mentioning Holmgren?

Posted by: heyjoe728

From all reports that I've heard Holmgren would like to work in a NFL front office.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 18, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | December 18, 2009 9:57 AM |

I'm with you I would love to get a couple days off school, even my kids don't like snow as much when it doesn't get them out of school.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

That should say work not school I haven't been in school in a long time.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | December 18, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

TWISI. You are 100% correct, IMO.

I know alot of folks like to make the point that "Shanny only won b/c he had Elway".

Well, guess what?

Elway only won when he had Shanny!

And let's not forget that those Denver teams that won the Superbowl were being carried PRIMARILY by Terrell Davis and the running game - that's right.

While Elway was still playing at a high level and was the undisputed leader on the team, the reality is that the run game was the main feature of that offense - a run game that Shanny and Alex Gibbs designed and installed.

Posted by: p1funk | December 18, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I really don't (didn't) want to have to root for Shanny, never was a fan. But the minute he signs on with the Burgundy and Gold if he does, I'll be a fan.

someone mentioned yesterday a scenario whereby Shanny kept JZ as OC- is that at all feasible? On one hand I'd say no chance due to pride and finanical implications. But on the other, he has 0% chance of a HC position next year elsewhere, and I'd think unlikely to even get an OC job. THis may be as good as it gets. And both are WCO guys. Any thoughts?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 18, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: daggar | December 18, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse
I've just been pondering that same question. Morocco came from Chicago with very high credentials, and seems to have done a great job behind the scene. ANd he should be more familiar with strengths and weaknesses of current roster.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 18, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

would LOOOVE to have QuarterBlack back!

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 18, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I'm tempted to feel bad for JC17.

He's probably not going to be with the team next year, and even if he is he's gonna be working in a brand new offense - again.

But then I realize that no matter what his situation is, he's going to be making millions of dollars for playing a game...then suddenly I don't feel bad for him at all.

Posted by: p1funk | December 18, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 18, 2009 10:02 AM |

Amazingly, you can do both at the same time...

Posted by: OffseasonChamps | December 18, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

bean, 31 and sunny in D.C. right now...

Moe, are you low-key pimping Dez Bryant now? While I think that Dez Bryant and Spiller will be stars; the Redskins have more than enough WRs and RBs can be had later than will Spiller will most likely be selected.

I'd like to see a backfield with Ganther and Dexter McCluster next year.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 18, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

"I think Shanny would bring in his son as OC, he is a proven OC where as Zorn is not."

Do you think Bruce Bruce and Shanny keep Greg B running the D?

Or: does Greg B say, "My time is up!"

Would J Gray get the job?

More questions to be answered.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 18, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

beeps peeps.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 18, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

bean

"...are you low-key pimping Dez Bryant now?"

Me?

Low key?

Naw...it's just that if Shanny Jr. is going to run what they run in Texas, it works because of A Johnson and the tight end O Daniels.

We got two Daniels, but no Johnson.

When you see Bryant in action, you see a big fast receiver who snatches the ball out of the air.

Think S Moss with size.

Moss will be a goner too one day, ya know.

I'm still stuck on Spiller round 1 and tackle round 2.

But I do like Bryant.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 18, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

What if this GM Hire has more to do with a psychotic egotistic self-sabotage problem of Dan's

Case in point(s).
I wasnt a big Vinny fan but, Vinny was just beginning to see success from his personally selected Offensive Coordinator (Sherm Lewis) and his first Draft class of 2008. Credit thus, would begin to shift to Vinny for turning around the Skins.... And maybe Dan cant handle that...
Evidence?
Look at the progression of Head Coach firings and hirings over the last 10 years.....
Dan appears to fire a Head Coach or forces them to resign just when progress and promise is being shown..

Norv Turner is fired after producing a playoff team.
And you get an unproven rookie Head Coach, Terry Robiskie who goes 1-2 W-L.

Marty Schottenheimer then turns around the team to an 8-8 season from a 1-5 start and is fired.
And you get another unproven Head Coach, Steve Spurrier who goes 12-20.

Bring in Joe Gibbs who turns the team around with two playoff appearances 05, 07 and he resigns after reaching the playoffs. Pushed out by Dan and Vinny.. the family excuse was a save-face buyout deal. Gibbs was at a Nascar event one week later.

So now, Dan hands a playoff caliber team (9-7) to an unproven Jim Zorn who uncoaches the team in 08 to a 2-6 ending and this year they are 4-9.

Anyone else see a psychotic pattern here? GM and Head Coach hires.
It would appear Dan has a problem with sharing imminent success and thus sabotages the threat when it begins to surface.

Posted by: cliftonbiz | December 18, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

As far as Jaworski's comments are concerned, I don't care at all what he says. He is so annoying and such a jerk IMO. He is hard to tolerate on MNF and wish he would be gone from there.

Posted by: ladyredskins | December 18, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

All I want is a coach that is going to get rid of Portis, Randal El, and our whole offensive line except Doc. We need to rebuild this line ASAP. We also need a coach that is willing to work with Campbell cause he isn't going anywhere next year. If he does the redskins is making a big mistake. Campbell is not our long term answer but there is no reason to draft a rookie this year to start behind a team with a line like ours. Honestly. I am tired of haynesworth also. He need to stay on his feet and off his back.

Posted by: antwaun_newell | December 23, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse