Campbell vs. Hasselbeck, through 2 Starts

Jim Zorn didn't really want to go here during his presser - drawing any comparisons between Jason Campbell after two games in this system and Matt Hasselbeck in his first games under Zorn in Seattle - but I will.

I'm not trying to insinuate in any way that Campbell is going to become as good as Hasselbeck, or anything like that. But for as much heat as JC takes, I think it should be noted that his struggles don't even come close to what Hasselbeck/Zorn endured at the start of the 2001 season (Hasselbeck's first under him, after two years as a backup in the same system in Green Bay)

In Hasselbeck's first two games that season, he was 29-for-58 for 240 yards, with no TDs, and 2 INTs. He had a 46.6 passer rating and was sacked 11 times.

JC is 39-for-63 (62 percent) for 454 yards and two TDs with no INTs, a rating of 94.3.

Hasselbeck was sacked 17 times in his first three starts with three picks and no TDs. He then missed a few games and threw his first TD pass in a win over Miami in his fourth start (he posted a 107 rating that day). Hasselbeck started 12 games in 2001 overall, with seven TDs, 8 INTs and a 70.9 rating, and obviously blossomed into a Pro Bowl guy from there.

So it takes some time and there will be bumps in the road. Campbell is being asked to adapt again to a system and we'll see how that fit evolves over time. Sunday's outing is a huge confidence boost for the entire offense, if nothing else.

By Jason La Canfora  |  September 15, 2008; 4:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cooley Issues Statement
Next: Doughty Bounces Back from Flu

Comments

I can't keep up with the entries today!

Posted by: Chris | September 15, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Jinx!

Posted by: JinxMan | September 15, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

JLaC clearly obviously has an axe to grind and an agenda against the Redskins by posting this comparison.

Posted by: Wherefore art thou, haters? | September 15, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

"I'm not trying to insinuate in any way that Campbell is going to become as good as Hasselbeck, or anything like that."

Of course you're not, JLa.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Campbell will be fine as long as Zorn allows him to play in a style that fits him. On Sunday, that happened.

Zorn sure looked like he was evolving his system to fit the players. Helped that the Saints were missing some key guys. The Skins offense executed well except in the red zone, where they bogged down most of the time.

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | September 15, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | September 15, 2008 4:11 PM

I think they scored everytime they were in the red zone, three TDs and one FG. The point was the D kept them out of the red zone -- three turnovers were a big help, and several three and outs.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 15, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Snyder is gonna own the team as long as he lives, and then will it to his kids. Could anything worse been said? It's like declaring George Bush President for life!

Posted by: Danny's boyz | September 15, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

TE -- was talking about the Skins offense in the red zone. The Skins had 5 FG attempts and 1 TD when they were in (or near) the red zone. Its one area they will need to improve.

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | September 15, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

It's like declaring George Bush President for life!

Posted by: Danny's boyz | September 15, 2008 4:15 PM

Vote for McCain, and you'll be doing just that.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 15, 2008 4:15 PM

That should be two TDs and an FG. The other TD was on special teams.

There were four three-and-outs. Here's the drive chart for the game:

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 15, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Al Zeke -- Oh, yeah. That's different. Never mind.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 15, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Good job of late JLa. Lots of good info along with your informed opinions. Keep up the good work. Ignore the hateroids.

Posted by: fan | September 15, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

everyone just chill. the cardinals will beat us like a drum and pass up and down the field. skins will loose by 17-at least, and we will be back to square one. don't be fooled by 1 good quarter.

Posted by: reality | September 15, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

TE, bet you're also against sax and violins on TV

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | September 15, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

In Hasselback's 2nd game that he is referring to Thrash was a beast.
RECEIVING --
PHI: J.Thrash 10-165,

Posted by: will_ga | September 15, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I will you A>>>>>E

Posted by: j.McCain | September 15, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

TE, bet you're also against sax and violins on TV

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | September 15, 2008 4:22 PM

Have you ever listened to a sax and violin duo? You'd be against them too. There's a reason they don't compose much music for those two instruments.

Listen, if you want to talk about the Saints' offensive penetration, let me know. I'm really primed and ready to go on that topic. Did I mention about all the three-and-outs?

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 15, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I think one of the positive things to take away from yesterdays game, regardless of the fact that the Saints D is banged up, is that the skill players showed their skill.

When healthy and executing, Santana is about as good as any WR in the league. When healthy and executing, CP is about as good as any RB in the league. Same for Chris Cooley, and hopefully the same can be said for Jason Campbell.

Point being, if this team can stay healthy and execute to a high degree, there's no reason to believe that the offense can't be successful on a weekly basis. Sure they might show some struggles against stronger defenses, but its refreshing to see that the skill players on offense really are quite talented and will compete.

Posted by: swb | September 15, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

It's like declaring George Bush President for life!

Posted by: Danny's boyz | September 15, 2008 4:15 PM

Vote for McCain, and you'll be doing just that.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 4:18 PM

Not even brave enough to put your name nice. Coward.

You gotta believe Elizabeth's Brother in Law is the best example of what we are looking at for our future. So maybe with JC starting experience and playing time he might be a little further along in his maturing process. He definately has the better physical tools. Hopefully there are more days like Sunday and fewer like ten days ago.

Posted by: ssh1549 | September 15, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

The only significant issue with the defense was in the red zone when it broke instead of bending like it did vs the Jints. Buts its pretty tough to criticize the 'D' when its get 3 turnovers, holds the other guys to 17 points -- even despite ARE's fumble in (near?) the red zone.

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | September 15, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Im not generally a fan of JLa, but glad he sticks up for Campbell, he's right about that.

Posted by: D | September 15, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

It's like declaring George Bush President for life!

Posted by: Danny's boyz | September 15, 2008 4:15 PM

Vote for McCain, and you'll be doing just that.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 4:18 PM

Thanks for the advice, man. I'll do just that.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Say what you want to about Janso...but he has always been a Campbell supporter.

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 15, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I will not get involved in the political childishness and whatnot. Not gonna do it. would not be prudent at this juncture.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 15, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: reality | September 15, 2008 4:22 PM

This reminds me of a moment during the game when I went to use the facilities. Some drunk chump with a Skins cap says something brilliant like "Did you hear about how the Skins suck?" and, given that I only went there to pee rather than to engage this guy on his expert analysis, I said something like how it looks like they had three shots at TDs but that they needed to get better in the end zone. Genius McDingus (I'm assuming that's his name) replied, "Yeah, that's Zorn's fault. He sucks!"). I peed longer than that guy did ... I don't think he can hold his water.

To reality above, the "one quarter" you are referring to ... one quarter is all it took for the Giants to beat the Skins in the Meadowlands. The next three belonged to the Skins (7-6). So if we take three winning quarters from Week One plus the 4th quarter from Week Two, are you satisfied with the math that requires 4 winning quarters for a win (1-1)?

Posted by: dcsween | September 15, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Good advice ssh1549! Everyday I tell my kids, "Be brave like ssh1549!" In fact, anytime I need to muster up a little courage myself I think, "What would ssh1549 do?"

Posted by: A bunch of random letters and numbers | September 15, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 15, 2008 4:36 PM

Cindy Boren: That seems prudent. We hate prudent.

Post NFL Editor Cindy Boren was online Monday, Sept. 15

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

lots of SNL references up here. Tina Fey had the best weekend of all.

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | September 15, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

If every team we faced had 7 good injured players and a rookie cornerback, we'd be unstoppable.

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Take away the stupid punt and hit one of those FGs and its 18-17; we win the rest of the game too.

I think the boys put up more than 1 quarter Sunday.

Posted by: ssh1549 | September 15, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I actually think that Jasno is down on the skins when the people he talks to are. He's almost always been up on JC though but that's because football people are telling him that.

I really don't think Jasno is as skewed against the skins as he's made out to. I think he believes what people around the league tell him.

Oh but he does hate Danny and Vinny and likes to bring up his failings to be sure.

Posted by: Skinz | September 15, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: A bunch of random letters and numbers | September 15, 2008 4:39 PM

LOL!

Posted by: Using My Name | September 15, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 4:41 PM

Welcome to the NFL. Everyone has injured players. You win or you lose. Does that mean we don't have to count the abysmal performance in game 1 cause JT was hurt badly? No.

Posted by: Skinz | September 15, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

JLC is in the tank for JC. Why else would he make this silly 2-game comparison without evaluating all factors. Football is a team game. To who was Hasselbeck throwing? Who was the running back? How many starts had he had prior to those games? What were the weather conditions? How much time did he have between games 1 and 2? Seven or 10? Who were the opponents? Should I go on?

JC had a very good game yesterday. I pray he continues to grow in this offense and carry this team to higher heights. I hope yesterday's performance gives Zorn the confidence to go with those big play calls in the first half.

Posted by: LH | September 15, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

...are you satisfied with the math that requires 4 winning quarters for a win (1-1)?

Posted by: dcsween | September 15, 2008 4:39 PM

math? Isn't this a math free blog?

Posted by: I hate maths | September 15, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Hey, that was a joke!

Posted by: Cindy | September 15, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: A bunch of random letters and numbers | September 15, 2008 4:39 PM

Hey come on over to Iraq and you too can find out if the High School band was the best you could do? In fact we have bands in the Army - you can still be brave regardless.

WWssh1549D - quite a bumper sticker or bracelet or t-shirt.

Tell your kids though their Dad is a pu$$ie.

Posted by: ssh1549 | September 15, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LH | September 15, 2008 4:43 PM

The comparison is indeed silly, but no more so than the fan reaction to his performance so far. I think JLa is just reacting against the stupid outcries against JC and the Cult of Colt yahoos.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Shawn Springs was talking about this yesterday....he said it took Hasselbeck a long time to learn and that he was so bad he was benched.

Posted by: Lisa | September 15, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skinz | September 15, 2008 4:42 PM

Agree on both points. Personally I love him ripping the Danny & the Vinny. I think they deserve it and the Skins won't be Superbowl champs until the front office changes. It took years of pressure in NY before they got rid of Isiah. It may be years before they finally can Vinny. It will be a good day when that happens.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skinz | September 15, 2008 4:43 PM

One hurt JT vs 7 hurt Saints + a rookie cornerback. I see your point...

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LH | September 15, 2008 4:43 PM

I sincerely hope you were one of the people that took into account all the factors that led to Todd Collins' success last season, and didn't just buy into the "he was 3-1 as a starter and led us to the playoffs."

If you were, then you have a fair criticism of JLC's take. If not, then shame on you...

Posted by: psps23 | September 15, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ssh1549 | September 15, 2008 4:46 PM

and yet if GWB had "stayed the course" where he shoulda stayed (you know, where bin laden is), you'da been fightin' the real enemy.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Reality is the Skins played 4 strong quarters on Sunday.

The special teams nearly cost this team the game. I'd say the teams cost us roughly 14 points (blown chip shot FG, the ARE fumble and Bush's return).

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | September 15, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Cindy, I know you were kidding before.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I think the Cardinals put up only 2.6 yards per rush against the Dolphins. Surely, we can find a way to cover Boldin & Fitz without giving up too much on the ground or in the short passing game.

Posted by: will_ga | September 15, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

We can, and don't call me Shirley

Posted by: not Shirley | September 15, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skinz | September 15, 2008 4:43 PM

One hurt JT vs 7 hurt Saints + a rookie cornerback. I see your point...

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 4:48 PM

It's called the NFL, injuries are a part of the game ask anyone who knows anything about the league. I guess it's ok for the Redskins to suck for the next 7 years because technically we'll be missing the prime years of ST's life, a player who may have been one of the most dominate players of the decade, right....ok? Bye bye now.

Posted by: Skinz | September 15, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget Philip Daniels, Marcus Washington, Reed Doughty. A slowed Rocky Mac, JT, Carlos Rogers.

Posted by: Just sayzin is all... | September 15, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga | September 15, 2008 4:52 PM

I agree. I think we have a good DC that will bring a good game plan for these two receivers. Blache deserves some of this credit for the win yesterday.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 15, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga | September 15, 2008 4:52 PM

We do have a history of letting elite WRs dominate us. That should be our biggest concern this game (captain obvious). Hopefully Springs/Rogers/Smoot bring their A-game next week.

Posted by: psps23 | September 15, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

"Lil Cooley" was just winking.

Saying "hello"

"Good morning" while Big CC was getting ready for the game.

BTW, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who blogs in the nude.

Posted by: Name Withheld | September 15, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

+ a rookie cornerback. I see your point...

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 4:48 PM

Two Words: Chris Horton

Posted by: Da Truef | September 15, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skinz | September 15, 2008 4:54 PM

One hurt JT + ST vs 7 hurt Saints + a rookie cornerback. The Deadskins can win vs badly injured teams, hooray!

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Iraq? High School Band? Oh, I get it ssh1549, you're a moron. I should have figured that out quicker.

Posted by: A bunch of random letters and numbers | September 15, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 4:57 PM

WhinersRUs meet SportsGuru.
SportsGuru meet WhinersRUs.

Posted by: Pot Meet Kettle | September 15, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Colston would have torched Skins DBs for multiple TDs.

Posted by: Danny Girl | September 15, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 4:57 PM

On Offense the Saints had one starter not playing- how'd they do? Even with help from the Skins special teams play, they could not move the ball.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 15, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

The Deadskins can win vs badly injured teams, hooray!

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 4:57 PM

As opposed to losing vs badly injured teams? Great analysis. Looks like we have a winner here.

Posted by: psps23 | September 15, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

From CHHF 2007 rankings

AZ Pass D rating = 22nd in the league.
AZ Run D = 20th.

NO Pass D= 32
NO Run D=22

So, we should be able to run the ball again.
And pass too.

I agree with previous posts. AZ has played Miami and the 49ers -- both bottom-dwellers.

Of course anything can happen on Sunday.

Posted by: stumped | September 15, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

3 yd run
1 yd run
75 yd pass
3 yd run
-2 yd run
3 yd TD pass

basically, their first 2 drives, including penalties, had 7 plays for net of 7 yards -- and two plays that totaled 154!!

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | September 15, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Of course anything can happen on Sunday.

Posted by: stumped | September 15, 2008 5:01 PM

Gives me a great idea for a movie....

Posted by: Al Pacino | September 15, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait till Dr. Do Itch Big...i wonder when he'll pull it out..

Posted by: Fulvio | September 15, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait till Dr. Do Itch Big...i wonder when he'll pull it out..

Posted by: Fulvio | September 15, 2008 5:05 PM

If he pulled it out, it might not itch so big.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 15, 2008 5:00 PM

6-4 Colston is the man, he would of been ending drives in the end zone.

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

@Reality:

I haven't had a chance to compare the numbers on the ground in the Dolphons/Cardinals game, but I can assure you there is no way our sencondary is as porous as Miami's is. Parcell's is cleaning house and trading away every player with talent of picks to rebuild that team. They have no one in the same talent level or better than Smoot, Springs or Rogers. They have a couple that are in the Leigh Torrence range but not by much.

If we can stop Edgerin and the Cardinals run game without having to put 8 in the box, we win.

Posted by: AppleScience | September 15, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stumped | September 15, 2008 5:01 PM

Gives me a great idea for a movie....

Posted by: Al Pacino | September 15, 2008 5:03 PM

I think 'Stumped' was a movie

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

6-4 Colston is the man, he would of been ending drives in the end zone.

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 5:06 PM

if you're trying to do sarcasm, you're failing miserably.

Posted by: I know sarcasm | September 15, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I think 'Stumped' was a movie

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 5:08 PM

Apparently, it starred our own Capt. Chaos.

Posted by: just sayin' | September 15, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 15, 2008 5:00 PM

Being 9 points down to such a badly injured team and eking out a victory. This team is definitely Super Bowl bound.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

If you're trying to do sarcasm, you're failing miserably.

Posted by: I know sarcasm | September 15, 2008 5:09 PM

Get Sunday Ticket and watch Colston play!

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

6-4 Colston is the man, he would of been ending drives in the end zone.

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 5:06 PM

How many teams have one player that gets injured and their season is done? Take Romo out of dallas, Westbrook out of Philly, BBM out of Indy and what do you have? Every team has injuries and have to go out and play any way.

Teams can't say we would have one if...you play with the guys that are healty and don't cry.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 15, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

@WhinersRUs: Wow. Just Wow.

Posted by: I dub thee, Scmucknutz! | September 15, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

WhinersRUs, aka Schmucknutz.

Posted by: I dub thee, Schmucknutz! | September 15, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: A bunch of random letters and numbers | September 15, 2008 4:59 PM

You’re right I am moron. I get 60 minutes per day to look at the internet on the one of the two computers split between 40 guys. Instead of getting to spend that time reading analyzing the good game from yesterday I am talking to a derisive a$$. The most disconcerting part is that you provide no even sharp discourse relevant to any of the on-going discussions - is Campbell a west coast guy? Did we play 4 quarters or just one? Instead of reading any of the football post you decide to defend the poor sack-less wonder that can’t even put a name or handle or even a clever moniker. As for mine it is the unit issued auto-filled log on the get on the machine. Can’t change it. I am sure that means nothing to you – You days are spent wearing black turtlenecks and reading French poetry in Starbucks wondering if Barbara Streisand is releasing a new album and lamenting the cost of gas or Chi as you jump in your smart import car. But luckily you were able to help some poor unfortunate soul such as me see me way so just right after this I’ll inform my boss that an internet tough guy has shown me the ‘new future’ and I want some. BTW Campbell does project nicely in this offense and with a strong arm that can make all the requisite throws. Once we free up his mind and let him react to the game as it comes he will play with greater freedom. See you tomorrow!

Posted by: ssh1549 | September 15, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

SportsGuru = troll, in the worst possible way.

Posted by: Paging SportsGuru | September 15, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

6-4 Colston is the man, he would of been ending drives in the end zone.

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 5:06 PM

Moaning about injured players who didn't play...definitely a whiner.

Posted by: p1funk | September 15, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

WhinersRUs, aka Schmucknutz.

Posted by: I dub thee, Schmucknutz! | September 15, 2008 5:18 PM

Marques Colston holds the NFL record for most receptions in a player's first two seasons with 168.

The Deadskins wish they had Colston.

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

The Deadskins wish they had Colston.

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 5:21 PM

We did just fine without him yesterday.

Posted by: p1funk | September 15, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

The Deadskins wish they had Colston.

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 5:21 PM

Having him didn't help NO yesterday did it? How is it going to help them over the next three weeks?

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 15, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ssh1549 |
"Your days are spent wearing black turtlenecks and reading French poetry in Starbucks wondering if Barbara Streisand is releasing a new album and lamenting the cost of gas or Chi as you jump in your smart import car."

Oh, snap.

Posted by: Michelle Obama | September 15, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 15, 2008 5:23 PM

No duh! He was injured and the Deadskins got a lucky break.

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

WhinersRUs, aka Schmucknutz.

Posted by: I dub thee, Schmucknutz! | September 15, 2008 5:18 PM

The Deadskins wish they had Colston.

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 5:21 PM

Come to think of it, we did just fine without him the last time we played New Orleans too...

Posted by: p1funk | September 15, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

So Schmucknutz, are you a cowgirl troll? jints? iggles? generic hater? Where's the welcoming committee when we need them?

Posted by: Paging welcome committee | September 15, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

wow, totally unnecessary comparison here

Posted by: bmac | September 15, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

whinerrus = sports guru = all the other trollz

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 15, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

No duh! He was injured and the Deadskins got a lucky break.

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 5:25 PM

Then they should work on having more than one pass catcher. Look how many different pass catchers the Skins have. Can't rely on only one player to carry your team.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 15, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

No duh! He was injured and the Deadskins got a lucky break.

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 5:25 PM

"No duh!"??? WhinersRUs has revealed her true identity as a valley girl trolling on RI.

And which of our 29 points was a lucky break exactly?

Posted by: p1funk | September 15, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Schmucknutz = all trollz.

Posted by: New name for trollz | September 15, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

beep beep {unless you're Schmucknutz}

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 15, 2008 5:25 PM

84 yards as a rookie vs the Deadskins. How have Kelly and Thomas been doing?

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

ssh1549, the better threads to follow would be the ones right after the game (starting with the Monday Morning H-back ... or whatever its called this year). Content/analysis-wise, good posting today starting with that thread (over the next couple ... through the one about the shotgun) by Mike H, psps23, Flounder, Skinz, dlhaze, and p1funk. Search for those names on page.

Posted by: dcsween | September 15, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 15, 2008 4:48 PM

The JC-TC comparison was more legit. They eached QB'd the same team with the same players.

Posted by: LH | September 15, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 15, 2008 5:25 PM

84 yards as a rookie vs the Deadskins. How have Kelly and Thomas been doing?

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 5:30 PM

Ahhh yes. The old change-the-subject-because-my-bullcrap-has-been-tossed-back-into-my-own-mouth routine. I've seen this one before.

And by the way, Thomas and Kelly are 1-0 against the Saints.

Posted by: p1funk | September 15, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Hate Snyder? Hard not hate some of his choices, but we all have to applaud others. He took a franchise built by the Cooks and developed the Redskins into a highly successful business. Money buys new stadiums. Money buys TV rights for us out of town guys. Money buys players, coaches out of retirement, and first class equiptment.

Snyder came out of the box a viscious business man, but as it turns out just a kid of a Skins fan that got handed the controls waaaaaaay tooooo young. But when he actually got around to reading the post he did something amazing- he listened. People said he was a horrible owner, and he was. Rich, but horrible. So he hired Joe back to TEACH HIM how to own a football team. I never expected another Super Bowl out of Joe, he inherited- or rather adopted- a mess. He cleaned it up. He tought Dan to be F-in patient. He got rid of a lot of the old baggage and built a team that has largely stayed together the last two years. Three? Not for the old Syder but don;t expect a roster turnover more than 20% in the offseason, most will come from the draft, and god willing most will be linemen.

Hate Vinny? Echo. Football aged sixteen year olds should not be handed the keys to a Ferarri, not even on prom night. He was the friend of the rich kid in a candy store called free agency. But he too was counciled by the Great Gibbs. He came to school like a good boy and executed his first real draft and free agency like a man who listened. If the O Line holds up one more year and the D line plays to it's potential then the draft provided the players the coach told the owner and GM he needed to succeed. Davis will end up outperforming my beloved pie-boy by the end of his career. Our new recievers may last more than the league average of three years for rooks to wash out completely. Give Brooks a hard time for a bad week, he'll call Guy, get his head straight and finish the season with a 48yd ave and pin opponents at will inside the ten. Where would we be really without the veteran leadership, grit, and gaul of Taylor? He brings as much to the clubhouse as the field, and the young kids we have KNOW they need it.

The crying shame to our current 1-1 year is that we may see 3-5. The critics will be laughing and neah sayers will crowd this site like a bus trying to get out of Houston. We will play the games we play this year. We don;t need a new coach. We don't need a new Quarterback. After Campbell finally implodes from system-change-overload and gets ?comfortable? then he will give us a solid four years before his mind and body succomb to the insanity his career has put on it. And a strapping young man with the name of a champion- COLT- will emerge long after anyone remembers his heroics at Hawaii.

Truth is- and sorry to bring it up at all- if Sean Taylor was alive and in the lineup this weekend this defense would be the flat out most feared thing in football. You can't say that about Merriman and San Diego. You can't say that with Strahan and the Giants. Beyond his family and loved ones the Redskins were positively robbed of a man many believe would have been remembered as the greatest defensive player to ever take the field. Right now Landry is proving he could be in the NFL's elite, can you imagine him beside Taylor? Good god. Ten draft picks couldn't have compensated for that devistating loss, so at least they didn't try to throw the organization a bone for having your best player murdered in cold blood.

This Redskins team will perform. We will win games you said we never would. We will lose some we should have won. But by the end of the ride I think you will find the Dan and Vinny show did a brave and wonderous thing in hiring a new coach- they drafted one. Probably a fifth rounder. But don't forget they did all of this after going Gibbs school. So hate them now, I'm too busy giggling about the future.

Posted by: Fireballhank | September 15, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

One game does not a legend make.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 15, 2008 3:12 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

And another thing...

Jla, I read your stuff. I don't think you're a Skins hater, what a rediculous job you have if that were true. But are we really relating any experience Hassleback had with Jason Campbell? Seriously.

One was in the leauge for two years when he met Zorn after spending his entrie football life in Mass where he saw Presidents change more than offensive coordinators. He was provided stabillity and produced well with excellent coaching. He began his career with the same coach that he has shown great success with. Which one could it be? Matt? Brilliant!

On the other side of the airplane we have a gun slinger from the deep south who went to Auburn and played through four different offenses. He has endured three more offenses in the NFL. Game after game people want to change the way he does things. He has to shorten his motion, spend time in the pocket, drop back, read defenses, shotgun, be more effective scrambling, and oh yea, learn seven different languages in eight years.

One is White. One is Black.

One is from the deep south where "ya'll" means everyone who can hear you.

The other is from BOSTON where YAWL is a two masted sailboat.

One went to a school of Academic proweress and played football.

The other went to a school of FOOTBALL prominance and excelled in learning.

One is 1-1
The Other is 0-2.

One has a passer rating of 94.3 and has his team energized.
The other has a passer rating of 48.6 and whose team is in full on panic.

The only comparison that should be made here is not what two folks first games looked like under a coach who was an asisstant for one team and the head coach of another. It should be where are we today. Today the Redskins know they have a fighter, a student, and an athlete. They have recievers that know that if they run thier fastest they may catch up with Campbells bomb. Seattle has a been there done that guy who has, but not lately.

Campbell is our guy intil our team fails to protect his health, and then we have Colt. Collins the clipboard should stay right where he is- no way he leads us past a haystack without an offense he has studied his entire life. Better off with the rook- he still doesn't know this is supposed to be hard.

Posted by: Fireballhank | September 15, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

The fundamental flaw in all this is Hasselbeck was not a starter prior to starting in the WC. JC has had some significant playing time, which you have to consider if you want to pull the 'first 2 games' card.

Posted by: Mattsoundworld | September 15, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell was never the problem. He went throught the same stuff that other young, first time QBs go through. Zorn was the biggest problem! He finally let Jason go to more 5 and 7 step drops which gave him more time to survey the field. As long as he calls plays to fit his players, JC will be fine.

Posted by: dcwun | September 15, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mattsoundworld | September 15, 2008 7:50 PM

OK then, as Fireballhank has pointed out, lets pull the 'last two games' card. Fair enough for you? Hasselbeck has years in this system, Campbell has had months, yet to start off this season thru two gaames Jason has been KILLING Hass.

Posted by: JimboDaMan | September 15, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Matt is playing through back pain as well

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 16, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse