Posted at 7:00 PM ET, 11/21/2010

Jeff Fisher: Titans QB Vince Young has lost his job

By Barry Svrlgua

For one week, the drama appears to have left the Redskins behind, and it's their opponents - the Tennessee Titans - who have inherited it.

Starting quarterback Vince Young suffered a torn flexor tendon in his thumb, and Coach Jeff Fisher decided Young wasn't fit to return to the game in the third quarter. He was replaced by rookie Rusty Smith, a sixth-round draft choice out of Florida Atlantic.

"I was not satisfied with his ability to control the ball, so I stayed with Rusty," Fisher said. "He never came to me and said he was OK and wanted to go back in, and I was told that he was obviously a little upset after."

Fisher was also told, he said, that Young threw his uniform into the stands after the game.

"Clearly, that is no way to respond, and so we have some things that we have to sort out with him," Fisher said.

The upshot: Even if Young is healthy - and Fisher said he could need season-ending surgery - he has lost his starting job. Young finished 12 of 16 for 165 yards. Smith, playing because regular backup Kerry Collins is hurt, went 3 for 9 for 62 yards with an interception.

"I am very disappointed," Fisher said. "I think his teammates are disappointed. There is going to be frustration in losses. ... There are times when you have to dig deep and fight and turn to one another. I don't think you run, and so I am disappointed."

By Barry Svrlgua  | November 21, 2010; 7:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Randy Moss: Zero catches vs. DeAngelo Hall
Next: Albert Haynesworth not ready for O-line duty

Comments

Jeff Fisher is a racist.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 21, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

VY for AH straight up next offseason. Get er done.

Posted by: TWISI | November 21, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Just catching up on the in-game blogging (I don't see how you crazy SOBs can do that during the game but more power to you)...funny how some of you fair weather busters wanted to bench McNabb, saying we're finished, et al. A 5 year old's impetuousness has nothing on some of you guys (Think, Post come to mind). Anyhow, great win, big gut check after last week's debacle. As Flounder and scamp said - stick by your team...at least wait till we've lost to throw dirt on our grave. And yes, James Davis will be on the roster next week. Really hope Keiland is OK - he looks like the truth. CP was running really well, hope he can go too. As for LaRon and Carlos being "doubtful" - that's just Shanny being Shanny. I think they both will play.

Also, big shout out to 5, 89 and the entire patchwork line...dare I say Stephon Heyer is your new starting RG?? And last but not least, redemption for Gano- I still am not in love with him but hey, he won the game today. I guess you roll with him...for now...

HAIL!!!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 21, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 21, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Vince Carter's muscoskeltal endurance was not where it needed to be to return to the game.

Posted by: rickyroge | November 21, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

beeps again

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 21, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

@Diesel

HA!!!! I was thinking the same thing. If that happened in DC the sports writers would have had a field day calling Fisher a racist for calling out this prima donna. Too bad Wilbon is leaving the post otherwise he would be all over this angle. Maybe Wise can pick up the slack for him

Posted by: Capsfan1322 | November 21, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Everyone knows that Vince Young has screws loose in his head. Even with a broken arm he would have thrown a tantrum about not playing.

I think Vince Young and Albert Haynesworth should marry. They'd have a wedding night that would end in a high speed late night motorcycle ride that would end with them both being martyrs.

Posted by: laserwizard | November 21, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Vince Young, Randy Moss, T.O. Ochocinco, does anyone notice these losers only bring down any team they're with? I really believe these people are mentally unbalanced. I would venture to say that when they are removed from a team the other players are happy as hell. Fisher needs to send this loser to the Bengals they already have two out of the four.

Posted by: lrock35 | November 21, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

How could anyone possibly say Jeff Fisher is a racist? Steve McNair was definitely his guy! Give me a break!

Posted by: TitanFan1 | November 23, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse