Jenkins, Kornheiser on Portis-Zorn

The buzz of the day most likely will be injuries and preparation for Sunday's game in Cincinnati, but there's a little more to wrap up on the Portis-Zorn issue.

Sally Jenkins sees the Zorn-Portis flare-up as part of a bigger problem with the Redskins.

Tony Kornheiser's Day 2 take on the matter goes in a different direction. He looks at this dust-up as a golden opportunity for Jason Campbell. He's seen Campbell mature and grow more comfortable in a quarterback's natural role as his team's leader over the last year. TK thinks that quietly taking charge here is the next step for Campbell.

...

Jason "Jasno" La Canfora will be chatting at 1 today. Stay with the blog and Redskins Insider on Twitter for updates; because it's a rainy, dreary day here, the team has moved practice up to 10:45 a.m., with open locker room and Jim Zorn availability afterward.

By Cindy Boren  |  December 11, 2008; 8:55 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tale of the D: Gregg vs. Greg
Next: Portis v. Zorn: The Last Word

Comments

I'm shocked that Sally put a negative spin on it....

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 11, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

When I click that link (to the jenkins article) it fails. Anyone else getting that?

I actually agree with TK. Campbell should step up and make this his team.

Posted by: Gweez | December 11, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | December 11, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I experience a sense of failure every time I read a Jenkins article...

Posted by: p1funk | December 11, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

So Zorn needs to be at least as good in his first year coaching as a HOF coach in his second stint; and if Zorn is not, then it would be reasonable to fire him...that's the kind of jacked-up Snyderesque logic that I hope this FO has grown up from...

Posted by: p1funk

No, my entire premise is based on PROGRESS. Always has been. Finishing the season 1-7 or 2-6 after starting the season 6-2 is not what I would call encouraging for the future.

Posted by: psps23 | December 11, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Agree, would be a good opportunity for JC to grab teh reins.

I, and I hate to say this, but I also agree with Jenkins. Portis can't be running to the owner, that just cannot happen.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 11, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Especially when you consider that Gibbs' teams got better in December/January.

Posted by: psps23

Once again I think the sacks not that big of a deal. We are in the top 10 and holding people to under 20 points a game. But I guess if you are looking for negative things to say you can go with the lack of sacks.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage

It's obvious that people don't understand sacks are important! I can't beleiev I'd have to even write that? Sacks often shift momentum, move an offense out of FG range, creat fumbles, etc..... Gibbs team last year had almost double the sacks of this years team. It makes a difference.

Ask JC how a sack feels.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | December 11, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

agree with you on that one. All of us thought Taylor was a good pick up. (including JLC) So I am not going to act like I was against it from the start like some people on here.
JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 11, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

But I think alot of us didn't agree with giving up a 2nd rounder for Taylor. I know I didnt. Especially since the Jets gave up only a 4th round conditional pick for Favre.

Posted by: ga8085 | December 11, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | December 11, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Link repaired. Thanks!

Posted by: CindyBoren | December 11, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

"Especially when you consider that Gibbs' teams got better in December/January"

Just trying some forward thinking...Gibbs is gone, and this isn't his team anymore, its Jim Zorns team.

So what are you saying? I should settle for less than what Gibbs 2.0 brought? I thought the point was to find someone to get back to the super bowl days.

Posted by: psps23 | December 11, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of things that don't work...look at the time!

Ai yai yai!
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | December 11, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

As much as I would love to see a 3-0 finish and sneak into the playoffs...I expect a hard fought 2-1 end (L vs Philly) and a respectable 9-7 close to the season. Zorn will continue to learn and it's imperative for the organization to stick w/ Zorn and let this play out.

Posted by: forever21 | December 11, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | December 11, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

That's why we sign these guys to multi-year contracts. So that we can have a little bit more time to track progress and give folks an opportunity to learn - especially a rookie coach.

Posted by: p1funk | December 11, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Hilarious P1

Posted by: Gweez | December 11, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone else find it a bit politcally incorrect (and mildly amusing) that the REDSKINS headline on WP is "Zorn and Portis bury hatchet"?

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 11, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

"I thought the point was to find someone to get back to the super bowl days"

still waiting to hear who you suggest the team bring in instead of zorn......

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 11, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Vinny certainly may not be the right guy for the role, but the critical change in philosophy seen last year (build through draft) is very encouraging. A vast overhaul in the scouting dpt might be required as well, but I like the direction and foundation being laid out.

Posted by: forever21 | December 11, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | December 11, 2008 9:21 AM |

It is so give it some time to play out.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 11, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

IMO, that opportunity needs to be earned. It's not asking much. I'm not saying Zorn needs to be Bill Walsh right now. Beating Cincinatti and San Francisco down the stretch is nowhere near a monumental task with the team we have. Even Philadelphia is a game that we should be expected to win, even if it will be a very tough game. These are games (especially CIN and SF) that there are no excuses for losing, even for a rookie HC.

Posted by: psps23 | December 11, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I thought the Sally Jockstrap article was actually pretty good. I didn't know that Zorn had made that statement about the team not getting the little things right back when you were 6-2. That was prescient of him.

Anyone know what the average number of wins is for a rookie coach in their first year? My guess would be somewhere between 5 and 7, but I don;t have anything more than guesswork to base that on.

In which case, regardless of whether he inherited a 'playoff' (but crucially one year older in key positions) team or not, you have to say he's done well this year.

Posted by: Redcoat | December 11, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

"it is, but if you fire the coach every time you don't make the super bowl, you're DOOMED to never make it there...."

Read my post above Greg. I never said Zorn had to make it to the Super Bowl. Never said he had to get anywhere near that. All I said is that there should be measurable progress. A sign that things will get better in the future with this team, not continue to get worse.

Posted by: psps23 | December 11, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

"I'm shocked that Sally put a negative spin on it....

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 11, 2008 9:13 AM"

Sally is a confirmed Giants fan...never has a good word about the Skins.

Posted by: Masonman | December 11, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I hope Zorn has learned that any and all "riffs" whether they be between players, players and coaches or coaches/coaches/management must be kept in house and private. He must also realize that some players, especially superstars with accompanying egos, sometimes have to be treated with kid gloves. Great examples of this methodology are found in Bill Curry's book Ten Men You Meet In The Huddle. Curry had the same sensitive ego as Portis and talks about how Lombardi and Shula handled stars and scrubs alike. Very insightful.
What we need is a true, proven professional football man as general manager and Zorn needs to continue his proactive stance while being able to react and adjust to changing conditions.

Posted by: Tyler2Durden | December 11, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

psps, not sure why you believe you're 'expected to win' against the Iggles. They're in good form right now.

McNabb has really stepped it up since he got benched during the Ravens debacle - even though the Ravens game was still winnable when Reid sat him down. Amazing that, who'd have thought an experienced coach would bench one of his star players like that...?

Posted by: Redcoat | December 11, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

psp, all I'm saying is give it more than 1 year. Thats all. Measureable progess needs to be made in year 2. Give Zorn a good offensive line, and lets see what the team can do.

Firing him, if he doesn't make 'measurable progress' in the last 3 games is 2000-2001 Dan Snyder type of move.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 11, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

"bust" talk of 11, 12, 86 at this point is premature. Sure you expect 2nd round draft picks to make a contribution and impact early and no doubt this year has been a disappointment but it's not exactly Year 3 and we're still waiting for production (Matt Jones, Troy Williamson, etc.) - let the big 3 get on the field and produce

Posted by: forever21 | December 11, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Stop all the talk of firing Zorn. He needs some time to learn to adjust to his talent and to mold the team more into his image of what it should be.
Have we regressed or is the losing streak actually a case where we got too full of ourselves? John Thompson says that how you start matters far less than how you improve and how you finish. All other teams in our division seem to be progressing at this time while we are getting worse. Or are we? Maybe the teams we beast early took us too lightly and had yet to hit their stride. Our stride looks like a three legged dog from Vick's place.

Posted by: Tyler2Durden | December 11, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

rc, lol, thats funny about McNabb...too true...

beep beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 11, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: forever21 | December 11, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Three receivers with first three picks. One of which,(Kelly), may have had a knee problem. Some direction?

Posted by: shanteefamilee | December 11, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I said yesterday that CP running to Snyder for reassurance was a concerned for me.

That being said, I'm not surprised that Sally Jenkins aka The Wicked Witch of the East made an appearance this week.

Why she writes a sports column for DC while living in New York still amazes me.

Posted by: Predator48 | December 11, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Redcoat

I didn't say we "are" expected to win. I said we "should be" expected to win. We have a better team, there's no doubt in my mind. That's my whole point regarding the coaching.

And for the record, I never criticized Zorn for benching Portis. All I said was that following last Sunday Zorn was close to losing some of his locker room, in particular Portis and Cooley. Portis seemed to prove me right for a short stint.

Posted by: psps23 | December 11, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: shanteefamilee

As I said - the scouting dpt may need to be overhauled & vinny may need to go as well, but building through the draft is essential to adding young talent and depth

Posted by: forever21 | December 11, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Beantown:

(Now Beanie since I know you, let me say this: This is what I would do, or what I think would be smart. Not what I think will happen)

Russ Grimm

- Basically is a Gibbsian in philosophy but with a 2008 viewpoint and Cowher apprenticeship. Perfect combo of core philosophy with modern approach. The key to Gibbs 2.0 as viewed as "failure" was the inabilit to get Grimm from Steelers to be O-Cord. when Gibbs first returned. And duh, why did the steelers block it? B/c he is a good coach.

- O-line issues anyone? Well his cred there doesn't have to be restated. But look at this season job with Cards. Their O line are nobodies who sucked last year and still don't run block that well. YET they have protected the 78 year old Warner en route to one of his best seasons and cardinals first home playoff game in 100 years.

- He has worked for Snyder before. So he isn't blind to the "issues".

- O-Line coaches make good HCs. Its like catchers in Baseball make good managers.

- Now for the real crazy part. Along with Grimm I would can Vinny and bring along a young go getter to be GM. Bring the two in together. Maybe even someone Grimm has worked with along the way.

So beantown, you asked...

Posted by: chrislarry | December 11, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Look, folks, the fundamental problem with the Redskins is talent, especially along the offensive and defensive lines, and until we get a professional, kmowledgeable GM in here things won't change. Zorn is a good coach, but neither he nor anyone else they may bring in can change the way the Redskins select talent. The common denominator in the Snyder years, with what? six or seven different coaches is that Snyder likes to pick the players, hence the failure in the recruiting business.

Posted by: piovino1 | December 11, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

The next time Jenkins writes something Positive about the Skins organization will be a first. She's the female version of Cowherd.

Posted by: dcwun | December 11, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse