Rams Seek Way Out of their Abyss

Jim Haslett is obviously in a weird situation. The Rams' defensive coordinator was named interim head coach when Scott Linehan was fired and is coming out of a bye week knowing full well that his unit has been pretty darn terrible this season, and didn't help Linehan out much.

When you are in this deep a hole, you focus on baby steps. Haslett knows he just needs a win, someway, somehow, and, as goes the cliché, there is no place to go but up.

"I'm not sure what lies ahead for me," Haslett said during his conference call with the Washington media this week (which turned out to be not much of a call because it ended up nearly completely coinciding with Jim Zorn addressing the local media as well). "I just try to get these guys steered in the right direction and hopefully we can put a complete game together and maybe win a couple of games. ... It's a challenge, but our guys have bought into it."

Haslett was asked if he has faced a bigger task and pointed to coaching the New Orleans Saints as they were displaced after Hurricane Katrina ravaged the area.

"That was a little more challenging than this," Haslett said.

Haslett was also asked about offensive coordinator Al Saunders, who is off to a ragged start with the Rams after two lackluster seasons in Washington. The Redskins never quite grasped his offense, and the formerly potent Rams are having their share of issues, too.

"We haven't scored a lot of points," Haslett said. "We're still kind of going through the transition, and we had a bunch of receivers hurt, but I like what we're doing with them, trying to find ways to get our playmakers involved, and I think that's the most important thing."

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 9, 2008; 9:20 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Campbell and the Perfect Season
Next: Skins Make A Practice Squad Move

Comments

Glad to see Pacman has grown up...NOT!
Dallas Cowboys' 'Pacman' Jones involved in hotel fight
By MAC ENGEL and CLARENCE E. HILL Jr.tengel@star-telegram.com
chill@star-telegram.com
Related Content
STAR-TELEGRAM/SHARON M. STEINMAN
Cowboys cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones has found trouble again.

IRVING — Troubled Dallas Cowboys cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones was in a physical confrontation with his bodyguards at a Dallas hotel Tuesday evening, according to multiple sources.

Police were called to the scene, but no charge was filed, and neither the hotel nor the Cowboys would comment.

"I don’t have any comment," said Jones’ agent, Worrick Robinson, who is based in Nashville. "I don’t have any knowledge that anything happened. I’ve done my due diligence and I’m not satisfied that anything happened with Adam Jones. I know there are rumors. I haven’t put any stock into any of these rumors except they are just rumors."

Robinson said he did talk to Jones.

"I’m not going to comment on our conversation," he said. "I don’t believe anything occurred."

KTVT/Channel 11 first reported the story, and sources confirmed it to the Star-Telegram.

Any type of off-the-field news involving Jones is exactly what the Cowboys were trying to avoid when they recently told him to keep a low profile. On Wednesday, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who suspended Jones for the entire 2007 season and then reinstated him in August, dropped by Valley Ranch for a visit.

Jones was attending a party at the Joule Hotel in Dallas on Tuesday evening, according to sources. Among the other patrons were several Cowboys players as well as rap star Ludacris and Academy Award-nominated actor Mark Wahlberg, who are both in the area filming a movie.

Adam Jones and his bodyguards got into a fight that resulted in a broken mirror in a bathroom, according to the sources. This was the second time in the past couple of weeks Jones and a bodyguard had gotten into a fight, a source said.

"We have no comment on the report," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Wednesday night.

This is the latest in a long line of off-the-field incidents for Jones. He has been arrested six times and involved in a dozen incidents that required police involvement since 2005. Some of his offenses include possession of marijuana, speeding, public intoxication and disorderly conduct.

He was suspended by Goodell for the entire 2007 season for violating the NFL’s conduct policy. Although Jones was still suspended at the time, he was traded by the Tennessee Titans to the Cowboys this past off-season for a fourth-round draft pick. Included in the deal was the stipulation that if Jones was suspended by the league, the Cowboys would receive their original fourth-round draft pick. Jones signed a four-year deal, but did not receive a signing bonus.

Sources said that it’s "highly doubtful" Tuesday night’s incident would lead to a suspension. But it’s likely to raise the blood pressure of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, who in the past two weeks told Adam Jones to keep a low profile and stay away from anything that potentially could be a troublesome situation.

Goodell reinstated Adam Jones on the premise that Jones would behave appropriately. On Tuesday after a business event in San Antonio, Goodell was asked about Jones’ progress.

"Adam knows how much emphasis I put on making sure that he makes good choices going forward, that he avoids situations where he can reflect poorly on himself, the Cowboys or the NFL," Goodell said. "So far he seems to have been able to do that very effectively. I am supportive of him and am hopeful that he will be able to do that for the rest of his life. I am hoping he will not only be a great NFL player but he will continue to do the right things so he can lead a productive life off the field as well."

Goodell was also asked whether he talks to players who have been reinstated.

"Yes. I am rooting for them," he said. "This whole policy is not to end careers, but to extend careers. Give people a chance to conduct themselves in a way that we think is appropriate, give them resources to make better decisions and hopefully they will have long careers."

Until Tuesday night, Jones seemed to be on the right path.

"I have to conduct myself like an NFL player to make sure none of these actions come again," Jones said this past off-season.

"I work hard every day to make sure I don’t make the same mistakes. Can I say I would never ever make the same mistakes? No, I can’t say that.

"I’ll make sure I put myself in way better situations than I have put myself in the past."

Posted by: alex35332

Posted by: alex35332 | October 9, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

3rd?

Posted by: popefrady | October 9, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

damn, I am the new curzon....I am always getting beeped...and not in the good way...

repost:

Footbal/sports jixes are a real, viable and tangible thing....thats why we all believe in them....all real sports fans know this.

I have told this story before, but here it goes...in the legendary Santana MNF Dallas game, the room was half skins half cowboys fans...it was a nightmare for most of the game with the Puke fans exhibiting the obnoxious behavior they are known for. Right about the 5 minutes to go mark one Pukes fan said "I am going to the kitchen to get my victory beer" I went to despondent to joyous b/c I knew the Jinx had just been shown the opening. Me and my buddy loooked at eachother and knew the fortunes were about to flip. It was the most spirtual moment I have ever experienced. Not 35 seconds later Moss hauls in TD #1.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 9, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | October 9, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Zorn was asked about Portis’s award; he acknowledged that it was an honor, but tried — as always — to stay medium. “We’re not gonna have a banquet just because he’s the NFC Player of the Week,” he said, pointing out that the players are expected to perform like that. “What do you do when you do what you’re supposed to do?”

I love the way he has this team headed, and I love the zychology he's instilling in them.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 9, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Haslett says, "We haven't scored a lot of points. We're still kind of going through the transition..."

Yeah, I remember that "transition". Better you than us. Al Saunders, good riddance.

Posted by: gringoinmiami | October 9, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

1) While I do enjoy laughing at the Cowboys, I find it sad so many people can take joy at one person making life-altering mistakes. Glass houses, etc.

2) I call BS on the chrislarry story. No way you were happy at any point in that game before we scored. That game was awful and Brunnel was lucky to throw it over 10 yards.

3) I want to apologize for defending myself in the past. From now on I will just let everyone insult me and never respond.

4) Still not a regular.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 9, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Yeah I am getting beeped quite often these days as well.

Well it's your blog and you can...uhhh.. schlep if you want to I guess.

So correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Garrard on a similiar tear last year with no turnovers and wins with in and around 200 yards passing? I think Garrard is a game manager and I think JC is more than that but it has me a little worried.

(Preparing myself for the backlash of "Dude can't believe you hate JC. Can't believe you aren't happy just winning games. Can't believe you killed 10 kittens this morning.)

Posted by: Gweez | October 9, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | October 9, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

thanks for the correction on dana milbanks. i could explain how i ended up typing dana's name instead of ms. parker's but i'll save it...

Posted by: dealer1 | October 9, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I don't think that's the real TheTruth. If it is and you are going to act like an idiot you should do it in third person. It was much more entertaining. At least that schtick (I'm not sure what's up with my yiddish stuff this morning) was semi entertaining.

Posted by: Gweez | October 9, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

As for feeling bad for PacMan Jones well frankly I don't. You know what, there is another dude out there not as talented on some practice squad somewhere who may get his shot at fame and fortune. Sorry Pacman Jones is a bama and squandered his talent.

Posted by: Gweez | October 9, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Truth, I think that Adam Jones has had MORE than his share of chances to straighten up and fly right. At some point in time, I stopped feeling badly for him, and just wanted him to pay his debt to society, and go away. He's gotten more chances than 2-3 people who post on here combined would have gotten because he happens to play football. Sorry if I'm not feeling bad for the guy, who just so happens to be self mutilating his career.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 9, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I think Campbell should throw the ball directly to a Rams defender after we are up by 30 points. I'm tired of hearing about this no turnover stuff. It's great that we haven't turned it over but it's just going to be adding more pressure on these guys. I say go up 30 points and throw an INT on purpose so we can stop all this talk and get ready for the next game.

Posted by: Skins1

If that's not a superstition, I don't know what is. In no way, shape, or form is throwing an INT on purpose going to exclude him from throwing an INT at a later game during the season.

Zorn has this team medium. No need to mess with the chemistry. The point where Campbell stops taking shots is the point where it becomes worrisome that he's thinking about the streak. Until that happens, Campbell and Zorn have it under control.

Posted by: psps23 | October 9, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 9, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

It was not BS, thats how it happened....jeesh what a dumb thing to call some one a liar about...it had been a brutal game and I was searching for anything so I recognized the jinx when she walked in.....sorry for sharing

Truth don't u find a bit ironic that you slam someone in the same breath you whine about being slammed?

You are a regular, a regular d-bag...

Posted by: chrislarry | October 9, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Re: 1) Lets accept the fact that we as a society have failed to ensure that young people are all well rounded individuals, with a wide and deep range of knolwedge to fall back on when making decisions. We empisize that happyness is based off material wealth rather than things like knowlage and Pacman's an example of how that can backfire. But I don't laugh at him for his individual misfortune but the misfortune of a Cowboy.

Re no 2) ICL's coments were on seeing the jinx happen, I am sure you have been there, oh wait the football god's don't exist for Georgia teams.

Re: 3) Took you long enough to figure that out, let it all role over you.

Re: 4) Yes you are, get over it.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 9, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Alex, don't think I didn't notice that shot at Missouri fubball in the bog comments.

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 9, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Cidy, but lets face it the state has 2 pro teams and both have been bad for the past few years. Where am I wrong?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 9, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

BTW great topic on the League, whoever picked it.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 9, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

4) Still not a regular.

Posted by: TheTruth11

I remember when I was in college, the types of kids that were saying these things. I went to a "nerdy" school, and you'd hear the tough-guy (read: pansy) incoming freshmen that would reject the rest of the school population by essentially saying "I'm not one of you." It's funny when they get that epiphany and realize that yes, they are one of us, because yes, they did go to school there as well, and no, they weren't fooling anybody. Then they just felt like a tool. And were treated like one too.

Posted by: psps23 | October 9, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Here's where you're wrong, buster. The Cheeves have been bad for decades (except for that AFC title game appearance in, what, '93), not years.
I refuse to acknowledge that St. Louis has a pro football team (hated the fubball Cards and still call them that, and grudgingly admit that the Rams won the Super Bowl a few years back).

Meanwhile, it's getting a little weird in Cincy:

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 9, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Serious question - why are the Rams so bad? They haven't been an elite team in recent memory, but haven't they been marginally okay and can hold their own? I mean, Al Saunders couldn't have done all this? Just curious b/c I am really surprised that they are winless.

I am with everyone on the superstition thing. I HATE when the commentators make the JC had thrown no INTs comment. I also wear the same thing, sit in the same room, etc. if they are winning.

Posted by: suzannepdc | October 9, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Glad you like The League topic. It's the result of a conference call every afternoon with Geno, Nunz, Emil "Badly in Need of a Nickname" Steiner, me and whoever else we can scare up.

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 9, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

What? There's a pro team in St. Louis?
On another matter, what would you do about Adam Jones if you were Goodell? You've laid down the law, suspended the guy for a season...do you make him go away again for a while? Even tho he hasn't, again, been arrested or convicted? Is your law enforcement hand forced here (kinda like Wyatt Earp -- I saw that in a movie)?

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 9, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

suzannepdc - Can you name more than 8 starters on their team right now? No peeking...

I know I'm having trouble with it.

Posted by: psps23 | October 9, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I can name three - probably the three that you can name.

Posted by: suzannepdc | October 9, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

no, I don't feel sorry for Adam Jones in the least, but I don't have to laugh at the guy. He's an idiot that has messed up a buncha times obviously.

also, this crap about the team feeling pressure because they haven't had a turnover is not legit. These are grown men who are professionals in their sport. Pressue is going into the Superbowl undefeated, not going 5 games without throwing a pick or fumbling. That's what they're supposed to do.

and I feed off the hate people, keep it coming!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 9, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Scott Linehan was a horrible coach that is why...

To me he was part of that claSS with Rod Marinelli, and that dude in MN that were all bad hires, and having similar results....

Posted by: chrislarry | October 9, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Off the top of my head, I can name these guys:

Mark Bulger
Torry Holt
Stephen Jackson
Orlando Pace
Chris Long
Adam Carriker
Pisa Tinoisamoa
Dane Looker

After that, I have no idea who plays for them. I couldn't even give a hint. It's been so long since I've actually cared about what they did. That's just an awful team.

Posted by: psps23 | October 9, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Randy McMicheal, who is now on IR

they have Dante Hall still...

just resigned Eddie Kenison...

but yeah, talent helps....

Posted by: chrislarry | October 9, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Truth, come on, dude, it's clear that your dedication to being a "regular" on this blog is only slightly less than your obsession with repeatedly denying you are a "regular."

The lad doth protest too much, methinks.

Who gives a crap about "regular" or whatever... we're all bouncing in and out of this wacky ongoing conversation about the team we love, and other stuff... just enjoy it, go with the flow, peace love and barbecue, maps...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 9, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Leonard Little.

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 9, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Only one I could add to that is Trent Green.

Posted by: Gweez | October 9, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I am all for giving people a second chance. However, at a certain point you have to wash your hands if the person doesn't learn from his mistakes. Pacman hasn't so I don't feel bad for him.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 9, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

PSP - I had your first three and I have not heard of the last 4 that you listed. I don't pay too much attention to people on teams outside of the NFC East, but my ignorance is usually with the AFC!

Posted by: suzannepdc | October 9, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Chris Evert.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 9, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I think Mr. Irrelevant 2008, David Vobora, is still on their practice squad.

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 9, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Does the lovely Cindy Boren have the day off or is it just a slow Thursday morning up there?

PS- If you're ever in Colorado, let me know ;)

Posted by: Dorf | October 9, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Nate you forgot to add my friend like McCain. LMAO!

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 9, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Is there an NFC team that you can name less starters?

Posted by: psps23 | October 9, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

"I think that's why they're so bad. This isn't the same old Rams we remember. It's a couple old faces and a couple high picks surrounded by NOBODY."

Wonder if you asked a Rams fan if they could name 8 Skins starters whether they could (probably not). That said, I think that the Rams have mediocre/decent players with a few really good ones. But poor coaching goes a long way as does a steep learning curve on offense in explaining their performance. The Skins don't have the best talent in the league but right now, they have some of the best coaching. The Skins also have an owner that, say what you want about him, at least has a burning desire to win. I think if you could swap coaching staffs, the Rams would be a very respectable team.

Posted by: dave64 | October 9, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Dorf! For some reason, it's a little slow and I overestimated the amount of caffeine the morning would require. I've now seen the Cole Hamels press conference 15 times this morning. (Not that I'm complaining.) News will start rolling in shortly.

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 9, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Is there an NFC team that you can name less starters?

Posted by: psps23 | October 9, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Falcons, maybe Panthers.

Posted by: SAK2 | October 9, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

How about San Fran?

I've got

J.T. O'Sullivan (Is that Italian?)
Frank Gore
Vernon Davis (Thanks for the 3 Fastasy Points this year)

Posted by: Gweez | October 9, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Raiders.

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 9, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Cindy are you a Phillies phan??

What did Hamels have to say?? If I could suggest, he might want to just DRILL Manram in the earhole first time he sees him.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 9, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Isn't Will Witherspoon there? I think I remember the skins sort of going after him a few years back during FA and him winding up there...

Posted by: dave64 | October 9, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

There are 3 reasons I think the Rams are where they are. 1. A series of bad coaches. Lanahan, Martz (who success was all thanks to Dick Vermiel) 2. Dumping Warner for Buldger, as much as I don't like the guy, Warner is still a solid QB in this league Buldger IMHO is not, I never saw the skins play the ram's and been worried about Buldger. 3. Market size, I think smaller market teams have more trouble building star franchises than big markets do. If your agent came to you with the opertunity (same money) to live in NYC and play for the Jets or St.L and play for the Rams what would you do? Some NFL teams do not play in "desireable" cities to live in.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 9, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

"I've now seen the Cole Hamels press conference 15 times this morning."

I think the key word is "seen".

Posted by: Markin21132 | October 9, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

love, peace, and chicken grease to my RI brothers

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | October 9, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

"Some NFL teams do not play in "desireable" cities to live in."

See : Cincinatti, Cleveland

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 9, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

"If your agent came to you with the opertunity (same money) to live in NYC and play for the Jets or St.L and play for the Rams what would you do?"

I'd choose the team that I thought gave me the best chance to win.

Posted by: dave64 | October 9, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

i feel so out of shape...you guys are blogging your gutts out this morning...i need a bye...

we had maverick and then we had my friend i wonder what the next debate's word gonna be...i'm going with terrorist

Posted by: dealer1 | October 9, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | October 9, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

After watching Chase Daniel & crew crush Nebraska I'd say the state has 1 pro offense and two reallu bad minor league teams!

Posted by: will_ga | October 9, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Alex - I am not sure if it is market size, I think that it might be team history and staff. Exhibit A: Green Bay. Exhibit B: Raiders.

Posted by: suzannepdc | October 9, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Truth,
In my book,
See: Cinci, Clevland, Carolina, Buffalo, Jaxsonville, NO(though not true 5 years ago), Dallas, Houston, Indy, Tenn, AZ, Detroit

Posted by: alex35332 | October 9, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

How about San Fran?

I've got

J.T. O'Sullivan (Is that Italian?)
Frank Gore
Vernon Davis (Thanks for the 3 Fastasy Points this year)

Posted by: Gweez

I can add:

Isaac Bruce
Arnaz Battle
Patrick Willis
Nate Clements
...and I'm stumped.

Posted by: psps23 | October 9, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: suzannepdc

I think team history can overpower market size, but if you think about it GB's market is the State of Wisconson, and they play in big markets Chitown and Detroit. Oakland plays in the SanFran market which is one of the bigest in the US.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 9, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Not a Phillies phan, since I grew up a St. Louis Cardinals fan...it just seems that they play Cole Hamels pressers endlessly on ESPNNews. Not that I'm complaining. The key word, Markin, indeed is "seen."
On another note, I'm going to a screening of "The Express" tonight. Big mistake or solid move?

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 9, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Alex - Sorry, Oakland was supposed to be an example of a big market team that *I* would not want to play for - I think Al Davis is a nut job and it would be hard to play for his team.

GB has one of the smallest, if not the smallest, market shares of the league. If not for revenue sharing, they would probably not be up there anymore (which is one of the reasons I am big proponent of revenue sharing).

Posted by: suzannepdc | October 9, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Solid move all the way Cindy!

Posted by: will_ga | October 9, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Jonathan Beason
Ken Lucas
Dante Rosario
Jordan Gross
Jeff Otah?

Posted by: psps23 | October 9, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Wouldn't you WANT your d-backs to kick Asjk?

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 9, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

suz,
yes Al is a nut, but I only heard good stuff about the departed Rams owner. Do they have a new one yet? I heard Rush Limbaugh was gonna buy the team/.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 9, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Man, Alex, that's a LOT of undesirable cities that you listed...you're just trying to start....WHAT! You put Houston on that list!!!

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 9, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

A bit of Redskins history: George Preston Marshall traded the rights to draft Ernie Davis to Cleveland for Bobby Mitchell.

Bobby Mitchell and Jim Brown, two hall-of-famers, ran in the same backfield for the old Cleveland Browns.

Posted by: Markin21132 | October 9, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, Houston flies under the radar - we have a great climate (ignore the hurricane, that's once every 25 years), extremly reasonable cost of living, lots of space, great outdoor activities, 3 great pro sports areanas.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 9, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 9, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

******************************
I have only been here 3 months, but I can confirm that Houston is not that bad. It's gets a bad rap, but it is surprisingly a pretty nice city. Not the same as DC, but good in a different way.

Posted by: suzannepdc | October 9, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Except you need a car to get anywhere, thats why I have a lot of those cities on my list. Buil' sem mass transit ya dummies.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 9, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Houston is supposed to be good, my parents lived there for awhile and liked it.

also you should go visit Charlotte before calling it a dump, Charlotte is alright.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 9, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Alex - point taken, point taken....I'm lucky enough to live by a "park and ride" bus depot, and my company funds my bus pass, so I ride downtown - but, to get around on a general basis by bus - forget about it - and our light rail is still very limited

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 9, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I drive to work since I work outside of the "Loop" and live inside, but I justify it by thinking it's just like my old commute from Arlington to Tysons - same idea. But the lack of mass transit is actually one of the hardest things. It sounds dumb, but I don't get how people go to happy hour outside of their neighborhood since there's no metro to take you home! I have lots of bars in walking distance from the apartment.

Posted by: suzannepdc | October 9, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | October 9, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

suzanne - RE: Happy Hours - one of the first things I did notice about Houston is the huge amount of neighborhood bars, which probably helps for happy hours - on the other hand they are just that -
neighborhood bars...

Of course, that could have to do with our utter lack of zoning, which will lead, I'm sure, for someone to one day build a bar inside a high school cafeteria.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 9, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: suzannepdc | October 9, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

If I were Dan Snyder, I'd buy it and use the blue turf to line every urinal at FedEx field

LMAO! Classic

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 9, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Suzan,
The Drunk driving issue is a big one I understand in a lot of cities for that reason. My friend moved to OKC and lives in an appartment drives 1 mile to the nearest bar and gets tanked than drives home. Justifies it because its only a mile. I remind him that he is still an idiot and should just drink at home or walk

Posted by: alex35332 | October 9, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Alex - It's been a bit shocking. Went to a work HH, planned to have 2 beers, had 4, decided it was probably better to have the fiance come and get me and my car, just to be safe (and it allowed me to have a couple more beers). People couldn't understand why I called him because I "didn't live that far away". I went to GW, so I am so used to having mass transit (or a relatively cheap cabride) home. That's why we live in an area that has a good nightlife a block away!

Posted by: suzannepdc | October 9, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

oh,it's a cultural thing down here, for sure - at every convenience store, at the front of the store, there is an cooler with iced down 16 OZ beers - and at the checkout, a stack of little brown bags to put the beer in so no one "knows" that you're drinking a beer while driving - Friday, night, driving down the freeway at afternoon rush, I've counted every 3rd or 4th car (well, pickup truck) where the driver is sipping at a brown paper bag

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 9, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | October 9, 2008 9:45 AM |

That's because she refenced Milbbanks article at the end of the article

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 9, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

hey truth...

how can you not laugh at pac man...its pathetic...

me and my bro were talking/laughing last night at this and 3 other classics...lawrence phillips...maurice clarret...and the vick brothers..

and asking each other...which story is the most pathetic of the 4...thats a hard ranking to do...they are all 10 out of 10 on the pathetic meter...

just a case of 5 idiots thinking the world revolves around them and that they are above the law and rules that everyone else has to live by...

i guess these should all be stories in the top 5 of the annual Darwin Awards...

but the question is...in what order???

if only they could have had jim zorn help them "stayed medium"!!!!!

Posted by: deadskin | October 9, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: suzannepdc | October 9, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Did you just use "good" and "DC" in the same sentence? What...where you raised by wolves?!?!

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | October 9, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

There's "Trap Game" written all over this.

Posted by: Redskinrex | October 9, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse