Jim Haslett: Defense is with the program

Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said he didn't know what to expect when the Redskins began their off-season conditioning program in March. That's when Haslett began the process of converting the Redskins from their longtime base 4-3 scheme to a hybrid 3-4 approach, and he braced for a potentially slow transition at the outset.

But after 49 days of film study, playbook review, organized team activities and minicamps, Haslett could not be more pleased with how players have responded to the new regime's philosophy.

"It's much further ahead than I would have ever guessed when you're putting a whole new system in," Haslett said Thursday after practice at Redskins Park. "You're taking a team that ran a 4-3 and [running a] 3-4. I love how the transition [is going]. First of all, they're smart players. They're willing players. They kind of fit the bill."

Pro Bowl defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth has skipped Coach Mike Shanahan's first off-season program to this point because he is not interested in any role in the new scheme and would prefer to be traded. The Redskins planned for Haynesworth - a two-time all-pro considered among the league's elite interior linemen - to be their starting nose tackle, which Haslett acknowledges is the most important position in a 3-4 defense.

"If you're playing baseball, like if you don't have anybody catching, they just run around second, third, it's kind of the same thing," Haslett said. "So if you don't have a nose that keeps the linebacker free, and guys that can eat up space and are hard to run on, you know, it's hard to play a 3-4. It is the most important position in the 3-4."

Before this week, Shanahan and Haslett had tried to be patient with the disgruntled Haynesworth because of the potential impact he could have on their defense. Haynesworth, however, blindsided Shanahan and General Manager Bruce Allen by not reporting to the two-day mandatory minicamp that ended Thursday, and many in the organization now believe the team must excise Haynesworth from the roster for the good of the organization.

Regardless of what happens with the Haynesworth situation, Haslett is confident the Redskins have many capable players along their defensive line. With training camp scheduled to begin July 29, the defensive line depth chart, excluding Haynesworth for now, appears clear.

The Redskins envision Maake Kemoeatu, who is rehabbing an achilles injury, starting at nose tackle. Adam Carriker and Howard Green would provide depth behind Kemoeatu. Kedric Golston, who had a strong 2009 season, would begin training camp as the No. 1 right end with Vonnie Holliday behind him. The ageless Phillip Daniels heads the list at left end with Carriker at second string.

"I think we've got a lot of options" Haslett said. "I really do. I kind of like the group."

Since the 2004 season, the Redskins have had five top-10 finishes defensively, and Haslett is confident about the overall talent on defense. Safeties LaRon Landry, Reed Doughty, Kareem Moore and Chris Horton have impressed. "I've never been on a team that has four safeties like this," Haslett said. "It's hard to get 'em all on the field. But we're going to try ways to get good players on the field, so I think it's a good group."

Cornerbacks DeAngelo Hall and Carlos Rogers lead a strong unit. "DeAngelo is a playmaker. I think Carlos is a lot better football player than people give him credit for," Haslett said. "I think he'll prove it this year with some of the things he can do."

And then there's middle linebacker London Fletcher, who "kind of runs the whole thing," Haslett said. "I'm excited about the opportunity and I think the players are excited about it."

Apparently all but one.

By Jason Reid  |  June 18, 2010; 12:00 PM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense , Jim Haslett
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Riley and Redskins agree to terms
Next: Kevin Mawae rips Albert Haynesworth

Comments

Of course Butterworths not excited, its not like its a hotdog eating contest

Posted by: ElPresidente1984 | June 18, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I think the Redskins are going to be okay to good along the defensive line.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 18, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

surprised to hear that Golston is the starter as well as Daniels going into camp....Carriker's gonna win one of those spots I'd bet...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 18, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

"I really do. I kind of like the group."

Not really a ringing endorsement. Sounds like Haslett has real doubt about the line now; f'ck you Haynesworth.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 18, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Interesting comparison from the coach. If Los ever learned how to hang onto the ball, I think most of us agree he'd be a pro-bowl corner.

Posted by: Alan4 | June 18, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

This day's off to a bad start. The USA has a Goal STOLEN by a stinking ref and has to settle for a Sister-kisser, and now RedDMV thinks RockyMac sounds like a Deusche.

Posted by: TheCork | June 18, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

The Skins will be fine, actually better off, without Haynesworth. Especially as far as the front 7 goes.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 18, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Suisham got cut by the Browns.

Hopefully he and JaMarcus can find a team in the UFL

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | June 18, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

How is Buchanon doing? I think he's a good 3rd corner.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 18, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 18, 2010 12:16 PM
-------------------------------------------
I am surprised about Golston as well. I thought he was buried on the depth chart somewhere between fourth nose and third end. But hey, the guy has done nothing but work his butt off so good for Golston. Agree too that it is going to be mighty hard keeping Carriker on the bench, but I don't see him as an every down nose tackle. He's a little too light with a center of gravity that is maybe a little too high. I thought we'd see him starting at end, frankly.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 18, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Suisham got cut by the Browns.

Hopefully he and JaMarcus can find a team in the UFL

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | June 18, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Suisham gave me a case of the browns last year.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 18, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

How in the heck has Rob Jackson managed to stay on the roster as an end? You mean to tell me they couldn't find someone better in free agency?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 18, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Hey Cork,

From the last thread:

Around the time when McIntosh was offered a tender contract, he was unhappy they didn't give him a long term deal. People immediately started to rip him... called him selfish, money driven, you know... ALL the stuff Haynesworth is.

Read some:

My comment about McIntosh was one of those tongue in cheek comments.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 18, 2010 12:03 PM

I'll be accepting your apology now.

Thanks.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 18, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

wonder if the pats would trade logan mankins for fat albert.

Posted by: chris_zz | June 18, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

My comment about McIntosh was one of those tongue in cheek comments.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 18, 2010 12:03 PM

My bad. I should have picked up on it considering that's pretty much all I do up here.

Posted by: mack1 | June 18, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I'll be accepting your apology now.
Thanks.

Posted by: RedDMV
You need to make your tongue in cheek comments more cheeky. I thought you were serious at first too.

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 18, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | June 18, 2010 12:27 PM |
------------------------------------------
In my book, an update on a soccer game and comments about deusches seem to go together, but not in the way you used them....

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 18, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

How does CP look?

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 18, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Suisham gave me a case of the browns last year.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 18, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Just passing along the news to those that were upset when he got cut last year.

I'm sure Browns fans were devastated by the news. Mangini should expect some angrily worded letters.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | June 18, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

You just gotta know the stance of the regs up here, and by regs I simply mean frequent posters.

I pretty much know where every reg stands on 'skins related stuff for the most part.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 18, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Reason 8 billion and 17 why the US hates soccer:

Some guy with a whistle can steal the game with a protracted series of completely inexplicable calls.

Its not like we should not have seen this coming, its a theme in every World cup: make sure the US doesn't get any breaks, and blatantly steal from them if needed.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | June 18, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Suisham got cut by the Browns.

Hopefully he and JaMarcus can find a team in the UFL

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | June 18, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Suisham gave me a case of the browns last year.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 18, 2010 12:34 PM
------------------------------------------
Good one. He should be playing in the CFL for the Toronto Shankers.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 18, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Suisham's release was the one that was blown out of proportion the most the last three years.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 18, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Why is Darnell Dockett trashing the Skins organization now?

Didn't somebody here jack him up in high school or something?

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 18, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Kaneohe, agreed that that was a terrible call by the ref to disallow the third US goal, but a competent team wouldn't have given up those two horrendous goals to Slovenia and put themselves in that 2-0 hole. The US is clearly their own worst enemy.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 18, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

How does CP look?

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 18, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

He is back down to his "Denver" weight and supposedly is looking very good.

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | June 18, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

h8, WHY did you bring that up....here we go....for the next 3 hours it will be Bama Story Time with 4th.......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 18, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Suisham gave me a case of the browns last year.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 18, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Just passing along the news to those that were upset when he got cut last year.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | June 18, 2010 12:45 PM
------------------------------------------
Not nearly as bad as cutting someone like Leigh Torrence. Imagine the s-storm they'd have on their hands if that happened...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 18, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 18, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

AHAhah.... I forgot who it was that told that story every so often.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 18, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 18, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Did Bruce Allen invite Leigh Torrence to any of the alumni events?

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | June 18, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe
Um... How is this different than any number of sports which are beloved to most americans?

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 18, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 18, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Did Bruce Allen invite Leigh Torrence to any of the alumni events?

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | June 18, 2010 12:59 PM
-----------------------------------------
Nope, and I can't understand why LaVar and Brian Mitchell weren't invited either.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 18, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

BOYCOTT

Posted by: hessone | June 18, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

redskinhead

"...there really has to be a reason why the team continues to kick the tires of these veteran wide receivers... I'm wondering if MK and DT are underwhelming to the point where they might not have roster spots."

I'm with you on that assumption.

They sent M Mitchell packing the 1st OTA, the T.O. rumors started to float, and J Galloway hooked up with us.

These, to me, seem like trends that indicate that something ain't quite right with MK/DT.

They are 3rd year NFL players who some folks still want to give the benefit of doubt to.

I'd say D Thomas might be a player.

But as for M Kelly, well, his act is played.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 18, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

red

"I think the Redskins are going to be okay to good along the defensive line."

Total agreement with you here.

Lost in the hurlyburly of the Haynesworth Hubbub is that the team has added depth and flexibility with the defensive line.

They have the kind of line now that can switch from 4-man to 3-man without missing a beat.

We lost C Griff and A Montgomery and won't miss them much.

And there's nice depth.

The singular issue is will Kemo and Carriker stay and be healthy all season.

But it's good to see that the team prepared itself in this regard like AH wasn't going to be around.

'Cuz he hasn't been.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 18, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe,
The sad thing is there is no other receiver his size on the roster who could serve as a ball-muscling, shielding-the-ball-with-his-body possession receiver. My gut tells me we are going to see a heck of a lot out of the tight ends and running backs this year.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 18, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Nate I agree the US played like azz in the first half... and that is all on them. They need to play 90 minutes, and the first 15 are just as important as the last 15. Having said that, why should a team have to overcome their own poor start AND poor officiating and score 4 or 5 goals to get the scoreboard to register 3? Several other chances were shut down by poor calls.

kaas... I'm not a major soccer fan, but i do watch all the World Cups and have over the last 20 years, and not just the US matches. I'm familiar enough with the rules to know what is legit, and what is not.

Officials in all sports make mistakes. Its humans playing games being officiated by humans with human error. At least its not a recurring theme in most sports played here in the US.

More often than not, much more often than simple chance would allow, the US is on the bad end of a horrible head scratching call. There were several today, the two most egregious being the disallowed goal, and the yellow card on Findley who got a yellow card for a hand ball that a) bashed him in the face, and b) never touched his hand. On the disallowed goal, two US players were fouled, and one was tackled to the ground from behind with a form that should be shown to Laron Landry as a demonstration of how to wrap up and drive to the ground.

All i want as a US fan is a chance to play 11 guys, not 12. I don't even want to win all the 50/50 calls, I'll cede each and every one of those. But the absolute disgracefully bad calls that magically yet continually occur in US WC matches does not endear the sport to casual US fans.

So f*ck fifa. They do every thing they can to make a joke of their sport as far as the US is concerned.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | June 18, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

He "kind of" likes this line? As I said yesterday, it was their plan all along to have AH play NT. Now they have to rely on Kemo, who was slated as NT depth, and his Achilles to man the "most important position" on the line. I'm not hopeful as you Red.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 18, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

It ain't much, but at least Thomas had a game you can look at as to whether potential is there or not. Judging from that one game and other spots here and there, I think Thomas can play.

As for Kelly, well, we have nothing. not even one game.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly is released before the season starts... or even Thomas for that matter.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 18, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Apparently all but one.
By Jason Reid  |  June 18, 2010; 12:00 PM ET

Nice parting shot. Like Ali's jabs against Spinx the second time. "take dat wit ya"

Posted by: Club320 | June 18, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

"My gut tells me we are going to see a heck of a lot out of the tight ends and running backs this year."

If you're right--and I think you are--then signing B Westbrook becomes a very big deal.

B Westbrook in a reduced role to where he's more of a receiving threat than running back would add a lot to the offense that's buiding in D.C..

Such a role would add years to Westbrook's career as he wouldn't be hit as much.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 18, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

lh, it isn't known if Haynesworth could play in a 3-4. Doesn't mean that he can't, but we don't know.

With Kemo, you have a guy who played in a 3-4. With guys like Gholston and Daniels you two ends that are prototypical 3-4 ends.

The d-line isn't as bad as it seems. They just have to go out and get more depth along the D-line, and I think most of their FA signings have been d-linemen.

The NT doesn't have to be the best player on the defense. Seems like all the NT has to do is sustain the gaps. I think Kemo, or any of the other NTs they signed can do that.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 18, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

learnedhand

"Now they have to rely on Kemo, who was slated as NT depth, and his Achilles to man the "most important position" on the line."

S maybe you get C Griffin's agent on the phone, and hope he's willing to fill-in where he can.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 18, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | June 18, 2010 1:27 PM
------------------------------------------
The clock is definitely ticking on these guys. If they haven't noticed, there's a new regime in place that won't think twice about cutting Vinny's f-ups. R. Henson, R. Jackson, M. Kelly, C. Rinehart, C. Brennan... all of those guys better watch out because Shanny has no skin in their futures. He didn't bring them in, he didn't negotiate their contracts, nothing.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 18, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

"You need your kickers to be clutch and accurate. Suisham wasn't either one of those things. That's why I really didn't understand the moping that was going on up here.

Posted by: RedDMV"

He couldn't hit the broadside of the ocean from a boat (like Kobe said last night), especially over 45 yards, and he choked against Dallas...'nuff said..

DT will have the breakout year..He's the thick and quick downfield receiver that Shanahan's pass offense thrives on...Watch and marvel..

MK is a toss-up..But the tall Plaxico-Marko type is an element that has been missing from the Skins repetoire for some time now...Maybe we can sign Artest..

Posted by: frak | June 18, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Red, my point is it was their intention to start AH at NT. Period. Kemo hasn't played NT in 4 years. When he last played NT he was a back up. Now he's recovering from an Achilles injury. Do you know how much weight and pressure he's going to be putting on that thing now? I don't see him holding up. Carriker cannot play that position for any extended period.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 18, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | June 18, 2010 1:27 PM
------------------------------------------

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 18, 2010 1:36 PM

Can I come over to you guys offices and have some of what ya drinking???

Geez Louise.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 18, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

frak, that's what I'm saying about Thomas. I think he's got a lot of 'Brandon Marshall' in him.

RSH, out of those guys you listed, who do you think will not be on the roster opening day?

My guess is Brennan and Rinehart.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 18, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

"As for Kelly, well, we have nothing. not even one game.
"

By Reds

Oakland Raiders Game

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 18, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Did Bruce Allen invite Leigh Torrence to any of the alumni events?

Posted by: RedskinJim1

Yes, but he declined because Bruce wouldn't allow him to bring LaCanfora along as a date.

Posted by: Predator48 | June 18, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Bartel makes it over brennan, which will cause much gnashing of teeth among the Cult of Colt folks...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 18, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Can I come over to you guys offices and have some of what ya drinking???

Geez Louise.....

Posted by: 4thFloor

Tropicana Fruit Punch

4th, I don't get why you're so gassed over Malcolm Kelly. I mean, can you point to something that'll explain why I should have faith in him or that he has potential?

And yeah, this is definitely a make or break year for Kelly AND Thomas. They're three years in, how many years are you going to give them? With Thomas you can point to his short college career as to why his development is slowed.

But what's Kelly's? Didn't he stay at Oklahoma for 4 years? I know he was slowed by injuries his rookie season, but wasn't he benched last year?

Posted by: RedDMV | June 18, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, do you think the defensive coaches might adjust their plans and not feature the 3-4 as much as they intended, if they realize since their personnel (DL and LB, with or without Albert) aren't particularly well suited to that formation?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 18, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Nate Re: Soccer and ref's controlling the game.

We S#^% the bed in the first half and had to play catch up the rest of the day. You keep your house clean then you dont need to have refs be on point with every call.

And other sports are affected by refs as well, maybe even moreso. Because of soccers low scoring... any bad call can be undone (unless it is a bad call late in the game that results in a goal). Except for when a ref sends off a player for a red card. No other ref call affects any game more because you cannot replace that red card player. This is unique only to soccer.

I would say that a bball ref can change a game by calling a bunch of ticky tack fouls b/c they lead directly to points.

Strike zones with an ump are also very subjective and can affect the game a lot.

Football has the least affect because most fouls etc are redo's; just from farther away.

Hockey gives the offending team a 2 minute (disadvantage or more) and is probably the most fair and effective way.

Posted by: Zeebs1 | June 18, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

"...him to bring LaCanfora along as a date."

Mock him all you will, but Jason La Canfora's done quite well for himself as a member of the NFL Network.

The difference between his threads and da mayor's was he tended to stir the pot abit by pointing out some of the failing aspects of the redskin management at the time.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 18, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Been to Slovenia (yeah, I been lots of places). They are a soccer loving tiny country and their national joke goes something life this:

"We put one goal on the Italian border, the other goal on the Croatia border and play soccer on a regulation size field in between."

Also true, Slovenia has exactly 1 island. It called Otok, which translates to ... 'the island'. But it is one very adorable island.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 18, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Learned on this one...

But the thing is you guys don't get, but it became pretty evident when Shanny told the whole world, 'We discussed with him before we cut him a check for $21Mil on April 1st if he was on board, and he said he was'.....Albert HAyneworth will be our starting Nose Tackle THIS season. PERIOD.

Haynesworth has NO LEVERAGE. Non. HE has to show up for training camp to stay in compliance. The will put his fat ass @ NT and he will play roughly 55%-60% of the snaps during the season.

There is just no way around it.

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 18, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

4th, against Oakland, Kelly had one catch for 10 yards.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 18, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

but wasn't he benched last year?

considering the head coach who bench'd him, and the benching doesn't seem so bad....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 18, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Reading on the last post (to get back to real football), these fines we can levy against big al are meager.

Maybe in the next CBA, instead of a fixed amount, it should be a fixed percent of the overall salary including signing bonus.

Just figure out what % the mandatory minicamp relates to over the entire workload season (games, practice, training and mini) and that should be the fine.

That way, the big money makers feel the pain as much as the newbie making rook mins....

Posted by: Zeebs1 | June 18, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

red, 4th meant SD, who kelly had over 100 yards...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 18, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX

Kinda wondering the same thing. Haslett was pretty clear. The MOST important player with his defense is the NT. And they thought they had the most talented guy around to play NT.

On paper, it sounds perfect.

Too bad the guy with the most talent is also the most jerk.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 18, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | June 18, 2010 2:03 PM

Yeah, but he had competant QBS and Head Coaches there....

Year 1 - Knee Injury/Surgery

Year 2 - Coach didn't trust him. Was said to not be the best route runner. but had the best hands on the team. Everyone in who practiced said so.

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 18, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

4th, against Oakland, Kelly had one catch for 10 yards.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 18, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

probably meant chargers game...

Posted by: Club320 | June 18, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Bean, true about who benched Kelly.

But just because he couldn't coach worth a damn doesn't mean didn't know talent, or he didn't know when someone was doing the right or wrong thing on the field.

I think that's the nicest thing I ever said about Zorn.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 18, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

"I think Carlos is a lot better football player than people give him credit for,"

-Jim Haslett

So, guys, if you are Carlos Rogers, do you consider this a compliment?

Posted by: p1funk | June 18, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Yeah...San Diego...MY bad...

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 18, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I see some folks waving the Malcolm Kelly flag.

How many times does this guy have to not make plays, not impress coaches and not produce with his playing time before folks warm up to the notion that he simply may not have what it takes to be a very good pro WR?

Posted by: p1funk | June 18, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

red, haha, I'm still not sure what he did well, but I don't think he judged talent well, nor did he know right/wrong on the field.....he was just galactically bad....all phases, none were spared....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 18, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I think that's the nicest thing I ever said about Zorn.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 18, 2010 2:22 PM

And you a liar for saying that comment...

It's about a trust factor...some people he didn't trust...MK12 was one of them...Campbell was anotha, but was forced to play him...

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 18, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

p1, when a competent coach says it, and mk doesn't produce under the aforementioned competent coach, then I'll say he can't play...until then I think everyone should get a pass for the last 2 years..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 18, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Check this out!
NFLPA president tees off on Albert Haynesworth
Posted by Mike Florio on June 18, 2010 1:36 PM ET
To the extent that the NFLPA eventually may have to defend the ability of Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth to keep all of the $21 million he received in April after skipping a mandatory minicamp this week, the president of the NFLPA has done nothing to assist Haynesworth's position.

"I mean, if you don't want to be there don't take the $21 million contract," Kevin Mawae told Bryan McGovern and Gil Brandt of Sirius NFL Radio. "How things turned out it's no surprise to guys that have played with him in Tennessee."

(Translation? "Turd.")

"You know, what do you say?" Mawae said, right after saying all that he needed to say. "I mean, you're getting paid a ton of money to play less and you're complaining about it. At the end of the day it's one thing to be a football player and get paid lots of money but there's a whole lot more to be said about being a man. He can be one of the best in the league and I've said that to him in his face before. But to this point he doesn't want to do it on a consistent basis."

Posted by: butche106 | June 18, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

You guys are leaving out in that "breakout game" Kelly had he had one catch that went for about 80 something yards.

He caught five passes that game. That means the other 4 passes he caught he gained a whopping 25 yards.

Better hold off on that anointing oil.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 18, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

NFLPA president tees off on Albert Haynesworth
Posted by Mike Florio on June 18, 2010 1:36 PM ET

(Translation? "Turd.")

"You know, what do you say?" Mawae said, right after saying all that he needed to say. "I mean, you're getting paid a ton of money to play less and you're complaining about it. At the end of the day it's one thing to be a football player and get paid lots of money but there's a whole lot more to be said about being a man. . . . [H]e can be one of the best in the league and I've said that to him in his face before. But to this point he doesn't want to do it on a consistent basis."

Dear Redskins, sign Kevin Mawae right now. And put his locker right next to Haynesworth's.

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 18, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Albert Haynesworth AKA "Alice Haynesworth is a piece of ______! I hope the Redskins play him into the ground. Trade him, Hell No. I'd make him run windsprints until he was 195lbs. But that's the weight of that sucker's head.
He'a a swolled up, 12 pork chop sandwich eating, bloated, whining, disgusting, no-heart, SOB! I don't wanna play nose tackle, Alice whined through his agent after he took the money and ran. He faked injury last season only playing in 12 games. Half of which he was laying on the sidelines sucking air. Hey Alice, give the Redskins their $21 million back and go play in Canada where you can gain fame as "Alice BIGFOOT Haynesworth".

Posted by: butche106 | June 18, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | June 18, 2010 2:26 PM

Have you ever heard about giving a man a chance?

HE didn't have that chance under Zorn.

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 18, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

-Jim Haslett

So, guys, if you are Carlos Rogers, do you consider this a compliment?

Posted by: p1funk | June 18, 2010 2:23 PM

Really good point!!!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 18, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

not annointing red, just pointing out he had an ok game....better qb, better offense, better game plan, better coaching, better running game, I think he'll have a much improved year this year...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 18, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Now that the NBA Finals are decided, I can't wait until kickoff!

Posted by: Alan4 | June 18, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor

They're gonna sign Mawae and put his locker in Cleveland?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 18, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

My guess is Brennan and Rinehart.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 18, 2010 1:54 PM
------------------------------------------
Yep, and yep, but don't stop there. Look at every position where Shanny scooped up free agents and you might say someone is at risk. Shanahan will cut Brennan because Brennan is a punk and not serious about football, IMO. I think he'll keep Rinehart because the guy has potential even though he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. I think Henson will stick as a special teamer. Rob Jackson should have been gone a long time ago cuz the dude's done nothing since he got here. If Kelly is still running crap routes and not using that big body to muscle in passes, he will be gone. DT will stay but I don't think he'll be the number two guy.

Sometimes it is as much about what the coaches don't say as what they do say. Have you heard any of these guys' names come up in interviews? The only thing I read about any of them was Brennan and it sounded pretty grim.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 18, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Hard for me to put too much stock in complaints about World Cup refereeing when we've just seen the end of another NBA season...

The friggin' NBA, where I can't help wondering how much effect the officials have -- sometimes obvious, usually more subtle -- on every single game.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 18, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

-Jim Haslett

So, guys, if you are Carlos Rogers, do you consider this a compliment?
Posted by: p1funk | June 18, 2010 2:23 PM

In other words, he’s not as stupid as he looks…..HA!

I think M. Kelly showed improvement through the year, and like Greg said, when Shanahan says he can’t run routes etc, I will believe him. Besides, he will have Mcnabb chucking the ball to him this year. I can’t remember who was who in the JC sux vs he’s not so bad crowd, but if you were one of the JC “haters” you shouldn’t be so quick to cut M Kelly…….

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 18, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

To mark this week's 30th anniversary of the film, the Blues Brothers, the Vatican newspaper dedicated a full page and no fewer than five articles to it.

"This is a memorable film, and, judging by the facts, a Catholic one," the newspaper said.

OK -- who is more delusional? The Catholic Church or Albert Haynesworth?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 18, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

bean, I hope Kelly beats out this year. It's crazy to want a guy on the team to fail. I WANT him to prove me wrong.

RSH, never understood the hype about Brennan. IMO they should have kept Daniels over him, but that's neither here nor there.

I don't see where Rob Jackson fits in on defense. He's too small to play end and doesn't have the quickness to play LB in a 3-4.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 18, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

here's the way a true southerner would say it.

"I think Carlos is a lot better football player than people give him credit for, bless his heart"

Kind of like telling a woman "you look good in that dress, from the back, bless your heart"

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 18, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | June 18, 2010 2:57 PM
-----------------------------------------
I think it is going to be interesting to see the other cuts. If Grossman keeps throwing wounded ducks five yards behind receivers they are not going to keep him around either. Wish the team could trade Fat Albert to the Panthers for picks and Tony Pike. I hope they can trade Carter because, even though he has been a standup guy about it, the 3-4 is not his gig. Galloway couldn't stick with the Pats or the Steelers last year, so if he sticks with the Redskins, that will be bad news for the receiving corps. I'm hoping he departs. Blades is a brown bagger with limited physical gifts. He doesn't fit so well in a 3-4 and we could see him go.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 18, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

From the bog:

Then there was ESPN analyst Marcellus Wiley, who was asked on-air whether Haynesworth was being selfish. (Via The Beast)

"Yes, he is being selfish, very selfish, but the great ones usually are," Wiley said. "I mean, you're talking about a guy who's been asked to move his position without his permission, and that just doesn't happen usually in the NFL. I played with one of the greatest defensive players of all time, Bruce Smith. He was the right defensive end, and they never told Bruce Smith to move to the left side, they never told him to move out of that position unless he said I give you the permission to do it as a coaching staff and as an organization."

Only thing about that, "dat dude", is that Haynesworth is no Bruce Smith.

Haynesworth hasn't earned the right to say 'No' to anything his coaches ask of him. I don't care how much they signed him for.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 18, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

fwiw, the bonus $$ to Albert, as many have noted, could blow up into something bigger.

Years back, the owners got tired of paying guys who gotten injured in year 2 of a 5 year contract -- and weren't very good after the injury. So the owners, courtesy of a weak players union, were able to get the freedom to essentially cut players at any time. In effect, none of the contract was guaranteed. This is very different than baseball. For example, the SF Giants made a horrid call signing Barry Zito for $126 million. But they are stuck with the contract.

In football, the failure of the union to extract contract guarantees created a reaction by clever agents. Guarantee most of the money upfront in a lump sum, instead of paying it relatively evenly over a period of years.

Its always been an uneasy situation. Players have, for the most part, owned up to playing hard once they took the money. I'll should distinguish this from rookie contracts, where the player is an unknown. Lots of $$ have gone to high draft picks who were busts. I'm talking about free agent veterans.

But Albert may have changed this equation for good. I noted this in ZEKE'S UNIQUE a couple days ago and others continue to bring it. Its something that is going to be an issue in the CBA -- and possibly a much bigger issue because of Albert.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 18, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | June 18, 2010 3:08 PM

just to add a few more thoughts...

""I mean, you're talking about a guy who's been asked to move his position without his permission, and that just doesn't happen usually in the NFL." (quoted from Marcellus Wiley)

first, players get moved around to different positions all the time.

second, seriously doubt that AH's contract said anything about specific defensive formations or positions.

third, almost all of the bozos coming out in defense of AH are media types who sense the opportunity to stake out a position that gets them more coverage.

fourth, I'm taking off to the mountains this weeked, so catch you cows later.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 18, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

And buffaloe switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 with in Bruce Smith's Carrer (When Wade Smith became HC there).....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 18, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

and before I leave...

beeps.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 18, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

To those giving M. Kelly a hard time... who was his position coach last year? (I honestly can't remember) K. McCardell did more with less than just about any player I can think of. He should, hopefully, instill that kind of work ethic into both DT and MK, who physically, are much more gifted the McCardell was.

Posted by: unquiltom | June 18, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Malcolm Kelly-WR Washington Redskins

Week 17, 2009 Season [Courtesy www.nfl.com]

5 recptions, 109 yards, longest catch 84 yards.

Ummmmm, so there's that, right?

Really though, Kelly has been hampered mainly by injuries.

His other deficiency is his route running.

Well, the only way to get better with that is by getting LOTS and LOTS of reps, until it becomes habit, or second nature if you will.

Partly the old regieme's fault for not getting he and DT more reps when the eam was hit by injuries at WR & TE, and part MK's fault for not just practicing harder on his own until he looks so good the team can't help but play him.

period.

Posted by: ThinkingMan | June 18, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Trust in Mr.Shanahan! F-Big Al for giving us fans false hope! BTW, F-Dallas!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | June 18, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

We got the same resistance to change from Jason Taylor. He didn't like how Blache wanted to use him so he didn't "perform". Unlike Albert, he left millions on the table the get the he// out of D.C.

Posted by: coparker5 | June 18, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: coparker5 | June 18, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Everybody's always 'excited' in June in Dannyland.

Posted by: 21stCenturyCaveman | June 18, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse