Zorn: Secondary Injuries Are a Concern

Jim Zorn said the Redskins are worried about the secondary ahead of Sunday's game, with corner Shawn Springs tweaking his calf muscle late in practice today. Springs will be re-evaluated Friday, while corner Fred Smoot (groin) is "doubtful" to play. Top corner Carlos Rogers (calf) was limited in practice again, but he will play, Zorn said.

Zorn said that tackle Chris Samuels (ankle), tailback Clinton Portis (hip flexor) and safety Chris Horton (ankle) all missed practice, but he expects all to play. Portis's hip remains sore, and he is unlikely to practice until the walkthrough Saturday, but Zorn remained steadfast in his availability for Sunday.

End Jason Taylor was given a day of rest with his injured calf sore, but "I fully expect him to play," Zorn said. Tailback Ladell Betts is out several weeks with a knee/hamstring injury.

Tackle Stephon Heyer (shoulder) continued to practice, but Zorn said he "expects" Jon Jansen to remain the starting right tackle this week.

In general, Zorn referred to the injuries as "nagging" and though he is "worried" about the spate of injuries and the team is getting reinforcements ready to play, he believes most of these veterans will be able to perform well Sunday despite their absence from the practice field.

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 16, 2008; 2:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Blache Again Cautions Defense
Next: The Rock Cartwright Special Teams Report

Comments

Oh come ON.

SPRINGS = TISSUE.

Come on Smooty. We need help this week.

No more Torrence.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 16, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Skins28,

I was not a fan of Reid the FB player either. Good effort guy, teams...but no way should be starting or nickel guy in the secondary. You will find no disagreement here.

However, the reason you came of like SJK-heel is the vitriol you spewed at the dude. Its well documented about his kids illness, his deafness, now a cracked back...not to mentioned the fact that he gave maximum effort even when the skills were not there. So it just smells lame when you throw around insults and act like a dude laughing in his injured face. Dig?

Also he filled in like a champ after #21 last season.

So maybe come off the rhetoric cliff, huh?

Posted by: chrislarry | October 16, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

It's that time of the season... we gotta hang tough, like every team in the league.

Tough stretch of ball looming in Nov... not that there's anything to sneeze your nose at the next three weeks...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 16, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

+++He was benched in the middle of the Arizona game after he got burned badly by Larry Fitzgerald on that deep TD. +++---SKINS28

Beat by THAT bum? Hard to believe.--CORK

+++He was healthy in that game, please stop making excuses for the guy. He is a likeable player but he is just flat out is not good.+++ Skins28

Unless you are God or a Redskins trainer--and I pray it's neither, you HAVE NO IDEA what his physical condition was in that game.

NFL Players play hurt. Anyone who knows ANYTHING about the NFL knows that those who complain about injuries soon become ex-players. So you gut it out and try.

Here's a guy with a sick infant, sudden hearing loss and a bad back. And he's out there trying.

If he's a "horrible player" explain how he played extremely well during the Redskins playoff run last year?

And if you ever had a pinched nerve in your spinal column you'd be in a wheelchair, not trying to play football.

I've had that problem and my top end speed was reduced to 1.3 MPH--downhill.

Posted by: TheCork | October 16, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Whats the difference between Springs and a dollar?

A dollar can make four quarters.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 16, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

In hindsight we might have needed ole'doughty this weekend...

Posted by: chrislarry | October 16, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I think, on the last post, it was said that The Truth is irregular. I don't think we needed to know that.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 16, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I dig, i did not mean to come off that hard on Reed. I just have goten sick and tired him getting beat badly on the field. I understand he tries very hard, and is a good teammate. I also know he is partially deaf and his kid is sick. But I am was clearly looking at this from a football perspective and with him on the field, it does not put us in the best position to win.

Posted by: Skins28 | October 16, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Did I miss something? I didn't realize how dinged up we got vs StL.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 16, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

These injuries worry me. Someone questioned the wisdom of letting Hamilton go considering, unlike Green, he has had some actual playing time in this D this year. I don't know, not that he would help with CB.

On a related note, I just ate a pistachio nut that fell on the plastic sheet thingy that enables me to easily roll around in my office chair. Do you think I'll get sick? Like I said, I worry.

Posted by: LittleSoren | October 16, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Stay Medium, Hold Fast

Posted by: alex35332 | October 16, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

FYI all, an independent group is going to be doing a 4th debate to be broadcast by C-Span where they invited all 6 candidates that can win the election.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 16, 2008 3:43 PM |

This has to be the best news of the day. I was feeling so disappointed last night when the last debate ended. It felt like the last day of the football season. Now, woo-hoo! A playoff, where all teams are qualified.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 16, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

"4-12 has been 4-12 since.....the last time we've been 4-12 (or 5-11/6-10, but does the # really matter, we tanked that year).....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 16, 2008 2:18 PM"

oh excuse us for not being regulars!!!!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 16, 2008 2:36 PM

4th, I had forgotten that 4-12 can also be a win-loss record.

Skins28, TheTruth11 is a regular, but was formerly an irregular by the name of The Truth who referred to himself in the third person. With more fiber in his diet, he now just verbs like a regular person.

On this thread, all I have to say is ... oh no. But, its time to medium up ... we need to try on Tryon at some point ...

Posted by: dcsween | October 16, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | October 16, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

It's only Thursday. Nothing says they can't re-sign Hamilton tomorrow (unless he got picked up off the wafer wire).

Posted by: dcsween | October 16, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Doughty was solid down the stretch last year. Very clear he could play as a starter in the NFL, at least in the right situation.

The question is will Doughty recover to the point he can play at the high level he has shown previously. If so, there should be a spot on the team for him. If not, its a business...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 16, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | October 16, 2008 3:50 PM |

What's the matter, sween, won't they let you log in as Skippy any more?

I miss Skippy.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 16, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Injuries are so frustrating. All of the sudden Smoot is Doubtful to play? UGH..... Plus Rogers and Horton are banged up to and now in practice Springs re-injures his calf. I was expecting to have Springs at 100% this week and back in are starting lineup. When fully healthy he is a shutdown corner. I hope all of these guys can play on Sunday. I will assume Smoot is out. He is not exactly the toughest guy on are team, neither is Springs unfortunately.

Posted by: Skins28 | October 16, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

When they drafted Kareem Moore, he was listed as "DB" rather than "S" or "CB" like other guys. Maybe he has some CB-like coverage skills (he IS fast).

Posted by: dcsween | October 16, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, at this point in this season nobody should be saying hip, hip, hooray that we're jettisoning a player, even one like Doughty who's had his tough moments. As cL said, the dude could have helped us as a role player, he wasn't chopped liver...

So difficult to lose a dude at this point and be able to turn it into anything positive the rest of the way.

Also, confidential to Soren, to quote my mentor, Bobby McFerrin, don't worry, be happy. Enjoy the pistachio, dude.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 16, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Where is the update on Malcolm Kelly?

Posted by: Skins28 | October 16, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Soren,

You should have asked us before you ate it, not after. I would have said (1) why? or (2) no. But now that it's a part of you I'll go with Nate's answer. Besides what's the worst that can happen? Okay, what's the next worst?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 16, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

t_e_, I think Skippy was/is a separate individual poster (who only ever posts as Skippy). Just my hunch anyway.

Springs seems like our best hope for Braylon Edwards. Maybe Rogers can take that next step up. Browns have another guy who can kind of be a threat because he is really fast, Syndric Steptoe ... who I was thinking was going to be Rogers' task.

Posted by: dcsween | October 16, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Where is the update on Malcolm Kelly?

Posted by: Skins28 | October 16, 2008 3:55 PM |

And does he have enough cover skills to sub for a few plays at corner this week?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 16, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Get rid of Springs after this year and get someone we can count on for more than 50% of the games. its not worth the roster spot to shut down TO twice a year.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 16, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

sween --

Right. "Wafer wire" is pure Skippy. Only the guy who does Skippy could have done that.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 16, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Well, the new punter could always fill in as a DB

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 16, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

ugh, those injuries are definetly troubling.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 16, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking Springs would cover Braylon and Rogers would cover Stallworth. Smoot would cover Steptoe (who is a bum) or Torrence since it now appears Smoot wont play. These injuries are just making me more nervous for Sunday's must win game.

Posted by: Skins28 | October 16, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

have no worries, laron landry is here...

i wonder if he can cover 3 wideouts at once...i mean you'd have to be pretty fast to do that. he could cover two and put some louisiana joojoo as in voodoo on the other. it's dooable.

red, how you doing baby?

Posted by: dealer1 | October 16, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Calf injuries = the 2007 Hammies

Posted by: nojunk4me | October 16, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Ah yes, our typical mid season nagging injuries. Anyone else rooting for the bye week?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 16, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

speaking of joojoo...anyone into true blood? it's a good time passer. i don't like the metaphors and yeah it's full of 'em. i just have to shut my brain when i watch it. cuz the m-phors do get tiring.

Posted by: dealer1 | October 16, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I think we can make it to the bye

Posted by: alex35332 | October 16, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Springs should never practice or at least get some calf workouts added to his boxing regimen in the offseason. Mr "I am not missing a division game." You already missed 2 bro. Cleveland and Detroit are games we have to win.

Posted by: F_Registration | October 16, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

injuries are always worse after a sorry loss.

If we club Cleveland, I bet the 'nagging injury' reports will be less...

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 16, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

dudes, at this point i'll take 5-4 at bye week.

Posted by: dealer1 | October 16, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

um... cleve & det aren't in our division this week are they?

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 16, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Steptoe may be a bum, but he stepped up when the opportunity arose (Edwards and Stallworth down), got some real-time game experience, and is average 9.5 a catch.

Edwards is an honest threat. This is Stallworth's first game back after injury ... in previous seasons, I'd never been too impressed with Stallworth when healthy ...

Posted by: dcsween | October 16, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

demishised expectation Dealer?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 16, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Detroit is in the conference ... conference wins are important for wild card ties.

Posted by: dcsween | October 16, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Nate. T-E: 1) pistachios is delicious, and 2) thanks.

I tend not to worry about such things. But after reading such a glum injury report, not to mention about Blache's unfortunate condition, it makes one think.

Hopefully the Skins can get a little more pressure on the QB this week and relieve the pressure on our ailing secondary.

Posted by: LittleSoren | October 16, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Stallworth played mon night had two catches. Not a guy you want to get going. I was hoping for Carlos on Braylon for the speed and Springs on Stallworth for the physicallity, i know Braylon is physical too but i feel that his speed outweighs his physicality more then Stallworths physicality outweighs his speed. The Smoot on steptoe.
I defended Tryon all year long was happy to see him make the team now its time for him to step up, he will see action even if the regulars start, they just seem to banged up to not have to rotate a little. So i will be here monday to eat my medicine which ever way it goes with Tryon, cmon little guy you can do it.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 16, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I agree, add to that we need all the W's we can get!!

...but he did say division... damn veterans and their strategery.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 16, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

we're going to loose. we're doomed. our only hope now lies on jasno picking the browns tomorrow on his pick 'em video.

speaking of which...
i was thinking we do it up here for the whole league...and like golf keep our own stats...starting this week...

so i this week i got:
rams (of course)
skins (of course)
tennessee
anyone playing sf
anyone playing detroit
anyone playing baltimore
anyone playing indy
pitt
philly
gints

Posted by: dealer1 | October 16, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Another thing with Braylon is he has aquired a vicious case of alligator arms this year, his epidemic wasnt on display Monday night but a nice welcoming from Mr. Landry might resurface his unfortunate condition.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 16, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LittleSoren | October 16, 2008 4:18 PM |

Yeah, I was thinking myself: "I wonder if one of these guys ate a pistachio off the plastic carpet cover in his office?" I figured probably not, but you can't be too careful. Maybe Doughty did a few weeks ago when he called in with the stomach virus and Horton got his first start.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 16, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

alex, we need some serious good shti to happen to us. like davis just blowing up or something. we won't be able to keep up with the browns with stonehands alone...

Posted by: dealer1 | October 16, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

dealer - you're going to take the phins over balmer? hmmm... mebbe...

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 16, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Springs is absolutely worth having on this team whether he's injured or not. I think what the coaches do is take the least injured 2 out of smoot, rogers and springs and activate them on gameday. Having 3 good corners allows you to do that. And if when all 3 are healthy, the opposing offenses passing game is not happening.

Not sure how many more seasons are on Springs contract, but I wouldnt mind seeing him at FS in the next year or 2, which could keep him healthy more (less contact playing only the deep ball) and that would allow Landry to play SS. Landry can play em both, but sitting back there in deep coverage all the time, doesnt let him up near the box where he can make plays. But then you have Horton playin SS pretty good in hiss 1st year and moore41 who looks like he has much upside. Theres so many options to think about with this secondary, Im really just worried about getting younger with the draft. Im not sure about Tryon. He may be tryon but hes not coveron and hes little compared to 6ft 200lb guys like rogers/springs. But maybe he'll develop well with such good CB's to learn from.

Posted by: TonyButterFingersHomo1 | October 16, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

"The Truth went to Charleston College. When he says "I'm not regular" he's saying something different from what we're hearing. He thinks that "regular" means "normal."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 16, 2008 3:19 PM"

ummm, okay? College of Charleston is a pretty good school...

funny people insult me when I'm not around, but if I say one thing everyone jumps on me for being "bitter" and "annoying"

all in a day's work, HI HATERS

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 16, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Funny how a game that two weeks ago looked like a trap game, suddenly looks like an "oh crap" game.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 16, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Shawn Springs = fine china

Posted by: zloss126 | October 16, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Time to start talking to Ty Law!! Get him before the Dolphins do. We cannot afford to have this many injuries in the secondary......

Posted by: skinsforlife | October 16, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

[Springs is] not worth the roster spot to shut down TO twice a year.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 16, 2008 3:58 PM
-----------
Couldn't disagree more. I don't care if he misses every game except the two against Dallas if he performs that well against arguably one of the NFL's best players. Dude, the Skins beat the Pokes in Dallas this season, largely due to Springs' excellent play. The Redskins beat Dallas. Do I need to repeat that again?

Posted by: RambleOn | October 16, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

TheTruth, I'll address you directly.

You don't seem to treat people respectfully up here all the time. I think that's the crux of the issue. You often dismiss others' opinions when they differ from your own, which you freely trumpet. And you have a strange passive-aggressive streak with other individuals and, apparently, in relation to the blog community as a whole.

Dude, when you have posted about two dozen comments protesting that you're not a regular, you are a regular. You're like an old-timer up here. Get over it.

It's not that I think you're wrong about everything, or even about most things. Far from it. You have plenty to offer, and a lot of times I agree with what you're saying, even when I have trouble with HOW you're saying it.

During that brief time when you were "playing nice" you were a solid contributor this ongoing conversation. I thought you'd turned a corner. I was mistaken.

You're not the only person in this community who has some of the issues I've listed here. I have evinced most of them myself at some time or other! But I thought after your 4:27 post that you maybe wanted something beyond an attack labeling you as "bitter" or "annoying".

Peace, love, and barbecue.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 16, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Hey Truth

What's the line on that homecoming game this weekend? Me thinks they didn't think they'd be playing a top 25 team when they put that one on the schedule. Smelling an upset just like 2 years ago?

Posted by: RambleOn | October 16, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I agree, add to that we need all the W's we can get!!

...but he did say division... damn veterans and their strategery.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 16, 2008 4:20 PM

Sorry dik. My last rambling about Cleveland and Detroit should have been separated from my other ramblings. Was talking about Springs quote about division games and missing the NYG and philly games. Now the potential of missing more games is pissing me off. Don't care who it is.

Posted by: F_Registration | October 16, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Toughen up cb's. I don't recall Darrell Green sitting out with nagging injuries very often - even at the age of 40.

Posted by: austin987654 | October 16, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

"Hey Truth

Posted by: RambleOn | October 16, 2008 4:47 PM "

We almost always play Vandy for our homecoming game. Don't know the line, should be a good game. Hopefully we win.

Da-uh.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 16, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

and thanks for proving my point Nate, I hardly post at all and people attack me. I post one response and you feel the need for 3 paragraphs directed towards me.

Hate, I love it.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 16, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Ten days ago so many....
even Steve Czabon on ESPN 980 were giddy saying this team was going to be 7-1 and definitely were going to be in the Playoffs.

Ten days later, we have injuries to Betts, Springs, Smoot, Rogers, Horton, Samuels.
We've lost to the Rams and now we begin to see how injuries and a loss can change so much of the outlook.

HTTR!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | October 16, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Cincy:
*Skyline Chili is the best -- get the coneys.
*Three letters: U-D-F. United Dairy Farmers. The best ice cream, and even more important, malts, I've ever had.
*And the best speciality in the Cincy area, little known outside, is gedda. It's a breakfast item made of steel-cut oatmeal, pork and beef sausage, and spices. It's sliced into pancake-sized patties and fried in a skillet. There is nothing like it.
*Oh, and there's a Hofbrauhaus across the river in Newport, Kentucky.
Posted by: LittleSoren | October 16, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Okay guys, I am glad this got posted. I moved from Annapolis to Dayton and am planing on going to the game the 14th. I seriously want as many people to come as possible. Every year around this time Bungals fans start getting fairweather fever and dumping tickets. Why not make them pay by filling the stadium with burgundy and gold?
Fly into Dayton from BWI instead of Cinci. Airtran flies that route and it is the cheapest. It is only an hour drive to Cinci from there. You may also want to stay just north of Cinci, it is nicer than downtown and the rooms are cheaper.
P.S. I am flying out for the game again this Sunday so if you see me in section 216 say hey!
Posted by: billy881 | October 16, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Let's turn that city from Orange & Black to "Maroon & Black", uhh I mean Burgundy and Gold.
However, Scrapple > Gedda
Posted by: Gooner | October 16, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------------------------
Hey everybody, sorry to beat a dead horse, but I am still catching up on the posts from earlier in the day and want to throw in my two cents (and we need a new topic). My wife is from Cincy, and the Skyline Chili and UDF Ice Cream are worthy of the trip every time we go up there. Graeter’s (Yes, that’s spelled correctly) Ice Cream is well known, too. It is a Cincy staple and has been featured on the Food Network. Montgomery Inn has fantastic ribs and is nationally known as well. Devou Park has a great view of the city if you have a lady friend with you: http://nu8d.com/Documents/light%20up%20cincinnati.jpg I think Nate asked about beer: http://www.cincinnati.com/beer/. Christian Moerlein is a favorite beer of my father-in-law and is brewed in Cincinnati.

Also, I have heard great things about the Underground Railroad Museum. DO stay away from the Creation Museum, however (to be fair, it is in N. Kentucky).

One other thought – if you go, fly into Dayton. It is cheaper, north of the city, and a 2 or so hour jaunt to Canton. Make a weekend of it and go see the new 28 and 81 exhibits in the HOF.

The game is definitely well worth consideration if you can make it. I would love to see some fellow ‘Skins fans there and get a majority of the stadium cheering for the Burgundy and Gold.

Posted by: jwlemons | October 16, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Love the regional travel stuff/food recs/stuuf to see I eat that up....

"Hardly post" thats a laugh....

Posted by: chrislarry | October 16, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

injuries are major with most any team. We have good depth in the secondary, but we're talking a lot of guys down.

Doughty is out, Smoot sounds unlikely to play. Springs, don't know his status at all. Horton and Rogers are dinged.

That's 5 of our top 6 guys back there ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 16, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

TheTruth, you also seem to selectively read posts directed at you. I forgot to mention that among the things that makes your comments often utterly maddening to read.

Good stuff. Keep on keepin' on, brother.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 16, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I saw a Skyline Chili item in the frozen food section once. It was chili on spaghetti. I'd heard good things about Skyline Chili, so I bought one.

It was the single foulest thing I've ever tasted. I will eat just about anything, but I had to throw it away after two bites.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 16, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Cuts/Retirements after this season:

Marcus Washington, Shawn Spring, Cornelius Griffin, John Jansen, season after that Randy Thomas, Pete Kendall, Jayson Taylor & London Fletcher.

What will be the salary cap implications of all these people???? This year may be our last chance to make some type of run....

11-5 babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Posted by: BarackObama | October 16, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I love the regional food talk, too.

lemons, scamp, all you folks heading to Cincy, enjoy what appears to be a cornucopia of local culinary delights!

A freakin' BBQ place just opened up down the block from my office. The sauce isn't quite right -- yeah, what was I expecting, authentic BBQ in Portland? -- but the pulled pork and rib meat were great. Sigh. And me without any self-control...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 16, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I like Sky-Line Chili ... when eaten IN Cincinnati. I don't think it exported well. Cinci chili doesn't have to be Sky-Line to be good. Any of the stuff there under the name "Chili Mac" taste pretty OK to me. I think the secret ingredient (in Sky-Line Chili anyway) is chocolate (or maybe cinnamon) ... but completely unsweetened ... kind of like mole.

Posted by: dcsween | October 16, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Not sure you can judge a regional foodstuff on a marketed frozen food item that probably just bought the name. I mean Grottos Pizza on the Deleware shore is the bomb, the frozen Grottos in a box....well lets just say I don't judge the original on the supermarket version....

Posted by: chrislarry | October 16, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see Barack getting accustomed to life in DC. He knows whats important.

Freakzilla - The can/frozen stuff isn't as good. I will admit though that Skyline is definitely an acquired taste for most people. You have to know what's coming. It isn't Texas Chili on Spaghetti and it does have a cinnamon flavor to it. I hated it the first time I tried it, but find myself craving it sometimes now.

Posted by: jwlemons | October 16, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Nate, just get yourself a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's sauce and take it in there with you next time. Great BBQ sauce.

Cool/bizarre thing: On our trip to Sweden & Finland this past spring, we found Sweet Baby Ray's for sale in a grocery store in Sweden.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 16, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

There's a place out west I once had - Claimjumper's. It was so good I had dreams about it. I saw recently that they are now in the frozen food section. I am afraid to try it because I think it will ruin my memories.

Posted by: jwlemons | October 16, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Hey, you can even buy Sweet Baby Ray's at COSTCO -- about $5 for three large bottles.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 16, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Cant believe the amount of people that want to dump marcus Washington. ya know when they talk about all that vetran leadership that keeps this team going, well hes one of them. Washington has more seasons in DC. look at the way he played last week, flying everywhwere.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 16, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

I forgot to mention this before, but Hard Times Cafe in the DC area sells "five-way chili", it's like their main dish, I think?

That's where I had "Cincinnati Style" chili mac... I liked it, it was weird but I dug it, cinnamon flavor and all.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 16, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I said this yesterday and i'll say it again be aware of the punt block with a new punter timimng will be an issue a blocked punt could be a game changer(ask the cowgirls) and i'm just a little annoyed with Shawn Springs and this calf muscle, first( NY, then Dallas 2nd half did he play at Philly?) #28 manned up every week and he knew how to play with injuries,if he's that hurt then shut him down until he's fully healed!!.We need to win Sunday.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 16, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Best BBQ in the world. Bubbalous, mybe correct spellin not sure. Its in Orlando FL. Anyone that has been there will attest.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 16, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

You know, cinnamon in chili makes a lot of sense. It's commonly used in Mexican recipes and in Middle Eastern cooking. Most people associate it with sweet cinnamon buns, but whip it in with some chile peppers and it's good eatin'.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 16, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Is Malcolm Kelly going to be active on Sunday?? Anybody know?

Posted by: hender_22 | October 16, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

"five-way chili"

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 16, 2008 5:26 PM

It goes five ways? [Not that there's anything WRONG with that...]

Posted by: dcsween | October 16, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

dcsween, you like mole? I never developed a taste for it, myself.

Less meat on those little suckers than on squirrels, even.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 16, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Sticky Fingers has good BBQ sauce, too. You can pick it up at the store, and they have about 10 locations or so on the East Coast that I am aware of.

There was once a Skyline Chili at Union Station in DC, but I don't think its there anymore. What Hardtimes carries is definitely the Cincinnati-style, though. I prefer the 4-Way with the chili, spaghetti, cheese, and onions.

Posted by: jwlemons | October 16, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

So I live in NoVA, and one of my brothers lives near Morgantown, WV. Morgantown just happens to nearly be a halfway point between DC and Cincy, so I've proposed to my brother that I stay the night at his house on Saturday night, and we get up extra early on Sunday and drive to Cincy for the game.

Seems like an awesome plan.

Posted by: -swb | October 16, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I sampled Abbotts Lobster rolls in Conn this summer (on the Long Island sound). Wow is all I have to say.

Top local food stuffs I have had: (no order)

1. Pats Steaks in Philly
2. The Rendezvous (ribs) in Memphis
3. Di Fara's Pizza in Brooklyn
4. FAST FOOD CATAGORY: In & Out Burger CA
5. Soup Dumplings Joe's Shangi in Flushing, NY
6. Abbots Lobster Rolls, CT
7. Gyros Athens, Greece cart
8. TX smoked sausage Salt Lick outside Austin, TX

Posted by: chrislarry | October 16, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

dudes, make your own BBQ sauce, its easy!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 16, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Another 'Skins fan for the Cincy game! -swb, check StubHub. There are tickets all over the place for that game, many of them under face value, too.

In & Out Burger is good, but I must say has nothing on Five Guys.

Posted by: jwlemons | October 16, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

You spend a Saturday night in Morgantown your gonna have a hard time gettin up early sunday.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 16, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

cl--

Nothing from New Orleans? Oyster Po'boy? Beans and rice? Crawfish? Jambalaya? Gumbo? Bread pudding with whiskey sauce?

You've led a life of deprivation.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 16, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Yeah i went to Vegas and was all stoked about some In and out burger cause im a huge Labowski fan. It was good but nothing to crazy, ill take 5 guys over any fast food burger.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 16, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

dudes, make your own BBQ sauce, its easy!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 16, 2008 5:36 PM |

Make your own when you can buy Sweet Baby Ray's at COSTCO for less than the cost of the ingredients that go into it? What am I missing here?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 16, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

TE, only been to New Orleans once and I was to young (19) to do anything other than drink.......

I do love crawfish though....my list was only places I have been and eaten. I do love New Orleans style food and if I went their now, I would crush all that...oyster po'boy would be sweet!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 16, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

TE, I love making BBQ sauce so I guess for me its the experience...

A 5 Guys just opened near me in Brooklyn. I have it it up twice already! But I have to say I prefer In and Out...maybe its exotic b/c I am hardly ever in CA. Fries are the best think about 5 Guys,.....

Posted by: chrislarry | October 16, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

cl--We took my 12 year old son there for an eating vacation on his spring break. He's too young to drink, but he's still talking about the food we ate. We tried as much as you can try in six days -- which means we hardly got started. I'm sure when he goes there on his own, he'll be old enough to drink and will forget all the restaurants.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 16, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Pappadeux's is a chain that serves Cajun. Its really good, especially for a chain. There aren't any in the DC area, but there are a few in Atlanta, and -surprise!- one in Cincinnati...

Posted by: jwlemons | October 16, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

wow cool dad TE!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 16, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Hold up... an Aussie dude signs with the Skins and the only thing we hear from our Australian correspondent is how crappy Fosters is?

C'mon, kost, this has to give you some measure of happiness, right?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 16, 2008 12:12 AM

He's not an Aussie Dude! He's just using Aussie Techniques! The kick he's talking about is what we call the 'Drop Punt'. The Skins should hire me to teach him how to use 'The Banana', 'The Checkside', 'The Boomerang', and 'The Snap'!

(They're all the same kick, just with many different names)

Posted by: kost52 | October 16, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

TE, I love making BBQ sauce so I guess for me its the experience...

Posted by: chrislarry | October 16, 2008 5:44 PM |

Okay, but I like shopping at COSTCO -- that's my experience.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 16, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

(They're all the same kick, just with many different names)

Posted by: kost52 | October 16, 2008 5:48 PM |

Maybe the 'Skins should hire you, but I think you just sank that possibility. You gave away the Deep Aussie Secret for nothing. Not a shrewd marketing move, Kost.

Next you'll try to tell us that you've never tasted Fosters.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 16, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Funny stuff, kost... totally got my wires crossed, between the Sav Rocca mentions (because of Placky's size) and the AFL kicking style thing... ha ha...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 16, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Why, he didn't say that his sister lived there...

Posted by: daggar | October 16, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

I missed the naming game yesterday, but since he's adopting Aussie kicking styles, what about Plackypus?

Posted by: kost52 | October 16, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Next you'll try to tell us that you've never tasted Fosters.

Posted by: talent_evaluator

They're essentially the same kick, but there are difference nuances to give them their different names!

Posted by: kost52 | October 16, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

wow, daggar, wow!!! :)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 16, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey Kost, nice to see you out of mourning

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 16, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Redskins should also sign Ty Law. the Skins need help in the secondary...especially with Springs and Smoot always banged up.....Law is avaiable in shape and ready to play...Why not do it?

Posted by: leevi98 | October 17, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

dudes, make your own BBQ sauce, its easy!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 16, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Definitely!!Much much better than anything from a store.

Posted by: will_ga | October 17, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse