Jim Zorn On Clinton Portis

Meant to post this earlier, then got caught up in other stuff. A while back I wrote about the new contract the Redskins bestowed upon RB Clinton Portis, and how some in the organization believed his renewed approach to his offseason work was directly tied to that deal, which included about $16 million in guaranteed money.

So today, one of the schlubs - don't remember for sure but I think it was a TV person - asked Zorn casually about Portis's improved attendance around Redskins Park this offseason. Here is Zorn's response:

"I think he had a financial motivation to stay here in the offseason," Zorn said. "I think that worked into his contract. And it really not only worked well for him, it worked very well for us because we're going to benefit from everything he did in this weight room during the offseason. And I think he feels it, too. He got better this offseason.
"It was a forced issue for him, because I'm sure he would have loved to have been in Miami in the warmth and stuff, but he made some sacrifices. Partly, it was extrinsic motivation that he made sacrifices. But he did it."

For a primer on Portis's offseason, here's a link to the story I wrote back in June during OTAs:

See you guys in the morning.

Cheers.

By Jason La Canfora  |  July 22, 2008; 6:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis in the P.M. Practice; Depth at LB (Updated)
Next: Day 4 of Camp (Morning Update)

Comments

on nads

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

BONG!

Posted by: BigMurf08 | July 22, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

woah third

Posted by: third! | July 22, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

make money money money make money money

Posted by: $$$ | July 22, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Portis is a DIVA, and was spoiled by Gibbs, but he is a baller on Sundays. Most teams have DIVAS...but truthfully, Smoot and Sellars are my favorite Skins. Cooley's my boy too.

Smoot plays with heart and swagger every week, which is what good corners need.

Posted by: sicwidit | July 22, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Joe Gibbs would never make fans wrestle with a word like "extrinsic".

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

No, Gibbs woulda kept it simple. Now go fight those guts out, son.

Posted by: Gonzo, MD | July 22, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure that the way this went was that Portis said to the 'Skins "I would like a bit more extrinsic motivation." They looked it up in their dictionary and said "We can do that."

Posted by: talent evaluator | July 22, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Portis isn't the only one. My man kost responds well to extrinsic motivation. He'd do about anything for a good six pack and he'd do it twice for a great six pack.

Posted by: talent evaluator | July 22, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Huh, goodness gracious the papers
Where the cash at? Where the stash at?
Gimme the loot gimme the loot.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Actually, Jim Zorn's catch phrase is "if you will" - watch for it in upcoming pressers.

Posted by: Lisa | July 22, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Lisa makes a mean casserole but she won't let me blog anymore.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | July 22, 2008 6:25 PM

Lisa, Any recipes to share? Or is your "mean casserole" really a mean casserole?

Posted by: talent evaluator | July 22, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

This just re-enforces my belief that Chris Cooley is better than CP

Posted by: Alex35332 | July 22, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

According to CSN, Zorn has already said that Portis isn't going to play in the HOF game.

Fine with me!

Posted by: swb | July 22, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

How many runs would you give CP in pre-season to get him ready for the regular season game?

Posted by: Alex35332 | July 22, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Lisa,
I'm betting Zorn uses "if you will" in the figurative sense, not in the literal sense.

As in "I'll do a hip slide on the slip-n-slide, if you will."

Posted by: stumped | July 22, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alex35332 | July 22, 2008 8:01 PM

Zero. Even if we have to sacrifice a bit by letting him take a game or two to get back in the flow of things, or if he has to ease his way in the beginning of the season by letting Betts do a little more than normal, I'd rather he be fresh come late in the season/postseason.

Posted by: psps23 | July 22, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alex35332 | July 22, 2008 8:01 PM

The same number of downs Peyton Manning will play.

Posted by: stumped | July 22, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

I would enjoy this article more if the name of Washington's football team was not offensive to Native Americans.

Posted by: Bill | July 22, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Hilarious! I'm sure CP doesn't like Zorn's media honesty.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Manning plays a few in pre-season. I would at least have portis in for 5 or so runs in the 3rd and 4th game, than have him "fake" an injury to throw people off.

Posted by: Alex35332 | July 22, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

So my buddy who was NOT on the season ticket waiting list, but has bought "visiting team returns" before, got a letter in the mail saying his number came up and GENERAL ADMISSION seats were available.

Hmmmmm?

He decided to pass.

LOVE THAT CHICKEN froooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmm POPEYES

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | July 22, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

From previous post-

"Clinton Portis, who turned an ankle in the brief morning practice, was back on the field in the afternoon. He went in -- and promptly was blown up (according to Jasno) by H.B. Blades, who knocked him off his feet with a clean hit. Portis popped right up."

or

"He went in -- and promptly was blowed.... blewn up (according to Emmitt Smith) by H.B. Blades. Blewed up.

Posted by: kost52 | July 22, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Team officials were stunned that the Redskins would renegotiate the contract of a player who has an admitted disdain for training camp and the preseason.

Posted by: What Jasno wanted to write | July 22, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

what percentage of the JayLa haters do you think would **** danny at the drop of the hat?

Posted by: Alex35332 | July 22, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, guys, for all the stories today. Nice to see some insight outside injuries and J Taylor. Glad ot hear Thrash remains a fixture. Interesting that Clinton seems stronger and I'd like to hear how the linemen are looking in their "physical" practice---especially Kendall and our rookies.

Posted by: Cookie | July 22, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Any of you Making that trip to Canton in a couple of weeks?? Making the trek from Houston!! Can't wait to be back around the "Maroon & Black"... tired of sitting around all of these Cowboy fans..

CP would get no carries. Let Rock fumble his way through preseason...

Posted by: CLEGG | July 22, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Isn't the HOF game on some terrible astroturf? I wouldn't play any of our starters. Let them play in parts of 4 games like everybody else in the league besides us and Indy. I am sure Jansen has bad memories from that place.

Posted by: cdubb | July 22, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cdubb | July 22, 2008 9:10 PM

I am looking at the field on Google Earth, I don't know if its artificial turf, but it does not look like Astroturf.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

9:13 PM
is me

Posted by: Alex35332 | July 22, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bill | July 22, 2008 8:20 PM

Bill,

Why do you think the name is offensive to anyone? We are proud of the name and we just wish there were more of us playing in the NFL.

Posted by: Geronimo | July 22, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

I worked for the Redskins for eighteen years. Four years selling programs, a year on the grounds crew, and then I was lucky enough to get an on field job that put me in touch with game officials, players, and everyone else who made the game work. After an injury I was unable to work any longer and took a seat.

I am writing this because I am thoroughly disgusted with what is going on since Snyder took over this team. Instead of holding training camp at Carlisle he moved it to Loundoun because he saw a chance to make money by admission and parking charges. He set up consesion stands and souvenier shops that sell way over priced junk. Before training camp was attended by true fans who made the 90 mile drive and had a chance to talk to the players, get autographs, and hang out. Now training camp is attended by some true fans but the majority are star stuck groupies who don't know a football from a hockey puck.

He signed losers and players that he wished that he could kneel in front of if you get the idea. Today's signing of this Miami guy is just another in a long list of his mistakes and I fervently hope that it blows up in his face and that he is embarrassed again.

Today's Washington Post had seven different articles about the Redskins. That is ridiculous. It is the 22nd of July people! How many articles were written on the Nats on the first day of spring training? How much influence did Snyder have over this? I am betting a lot of influence.

People I cannot give my name and I don't choose to use a fake name. I am persona non grada around Redskin Park because of my outspoken views against this little dictator. I will be checking in from time to time to give you my updates when my sources get rolling.

Oh by the way. His little Six Flags empire has collapsed and his latest venture, the radio empire, has no more chance of succeeding as this team has of winning.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

I've always found the team name to be offensive to potatoes.

Anon @ 9:30 - do you still work for the franchise?

Posted by: etrod | July 22, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | July 22, 2008 9:30 PM

Please hurry back. This is stuff that we can't get anywhere except from a true insider like yourself. Your inside views of the evil empire are just like the outside views, so you must know what you're talking about.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

How many carries should have this pre-season? 10-20...

This is football. You can't just walk out on the field and get hit for the first time in the regular season. If you do Portis like this then trade Betts. Injuries are a part of football. CP can get injured dancin' at "Ibiza".

Gimme a break!!!!

Posted by: sicwidit | July 22, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | July 22, 2008 9:30 PM

Are you aware that this is a Redskins blog? We're almost all fans of the team. We are hoping that the signing will work and that the team will win.

You might want to take your fervent anger and all your inside dope to a Dallas blog. They, like you, hope that bad things will happen to the Redskins.

Posted by: talent evaluator | July 22, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

sicwidit,

Didn't Portis have a slow start last season because Gibbs let him dog it through camp?

Posted by: talent evaluator | July 22, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Anon at 9:30 is way off target in my opinion. You think Snyder has control over the Washington Post??? Obviously you are NEW to this blog - a place where Snyder & Co. gets a hatchet job 90% of the time? I can't stop laughing!

The Redskins are BIG in this area and have been for a very long time....way before Snyder ever bought the team. Seems to me that is why training camp and the signing of Jason Taylor received so much coverage. Baseball will never reach the pinnacle of the Redskins in DC - not to mention the Nationals are not really giving the press anything to write about.

It's a slow sports month - only soccer, baseball and the Washington Kastles.

I'm highly appreciate of the Training Camp coverage.

Posted by: Lisa | July 22, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

The bad news for yinz is that the Steelers are going to win the Super Bowl, so why even fret in the meanwhile? Let your blood pressure tick down three notches...get yourself some Iron City beer, and settle in for the long haul.

Posted by: OfficerMancuso | July 22, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

"Huh, goodness gracious the papers
Where the cash at? Where the stash at?
Gimme the loot gimme the loot."
"Posted by: | July 22, 2008 7:43 PM "

Its the N-O-T-O-R-I-O-U-S you just lay down slow!

Great blind post who ever wrote the quotes above.

I fox none stop,
lick my lips a lot,
used to lick the cli-ts a lot,
but ya'all don't know how to act when the.....

BONG!

Posted by: BigMurf08 | July 22, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully Portis will have a good year. I always felt like he was the wrong running back in Gibbs' offense. Gibbs would have been better served in keeping Champ Bailey and featuring Ladell Betts the first couple of years (meaning we would have had a shot at Adrian Peterson last year.)

Anyway, Portis should do well in Zorn's offense. Let's hope he has a Pro Bowl year.

Posted by: G in Richmond | July 22, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

CP will Rush for 1200 yds and have 50 catches in this offense. If he can get to 15 TD's, we'll be in good shape.

Posted by: CLEGG | July 22, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

How many carries should have this pre-season? 10-20...

Gimme a break!!!!

Posted by: sicwidit | July 22, 2008 9:45 PM

Right answer. Portis doesn't play in two of the games. Gets 2-4 rushes in the 3rd game, gets 4-8 in the next games and 2-4 more in the last game. Total, more than 10.

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | July 22, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

And I don't need jerseys
I'm 30 plus...
gimme a fresh pair of jeans ...
and a button up.

S. dots on the feet
make the sight complete
What more can I say Guru play the beat

Posted by: cej75024 | July 22, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Portis isn't a 16 game a season RB. The NFL season is very rough, and while Portis is tough, he just can't take all the pounding. I'd run Portis for 3-4 games as the feature back, then have him backup Betts for a game. Repeat.

I'm not sure what the new contract was, must have missed it. But Portis' did not deserve a raise. He was getting paid fairly, he wasn't underpaid. I'd pay a bit extra for a guy who is a team leader, but Portis isn't that guy either. London Fletcher ... that's a leader.

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | July 22, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

T_E,

Thanks for the feedback, too. I'm awake now so as far as this...

Either your tounge is firmly planted in your cheek or your an effing idiot. They are both 29 and nowhere close to the top paid receivers in the game.

Posted by: bangkokben | July 22, 2008 2:16 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Ben. My tongue is not in my cheek so, yeah, I must be an effing idiot.

The reason they're not the top paid receivers in the game is their production is not near the top paid receivers. They're oft injured and 29 is not the prime time for a WR. They're overpaid for what they produce and that's why no one would trade for them.

Santana Moss was 34th in the league last year in receiving yards and ARE was 46th. In 2006 they were 53rd and 115th. Why do you think the Redskins just drafted two wide receivers in the second round? These guys' best years are behind them, not ahead of them.

Posted by: talent evaluator | July 22, 2008 2:37 PM

I think they drafted two WRs in the 2nd round because the 2nd WR has been the achilles of this offense forever! They have a #1 and a slot in ARE.

I gotta get hold of the roid rage and stop calling folks effing idiots but I do disagree, not so much on trade value as I suspect that will have PLENTY to do with the next two years in this offense but the rationale.

What do you think is prime for a WR then? Give me stats, let's look at the NFL ALL-PROS since 2000. (The 1st teamers are the first two, then the 2nd teamers - some years three, with ages of course.)

2007 T. Owens 34, R. Moss 30, B. Edwards 24, W. Welker 26, R. Wayne 29
2006 M. Harrison 34, C. Johnson 28, T. Holt 30, A. Johnson 25
2005 C. Johnson 27, S. Smith 26, S. Moss 26, M. Harrison 33
2004 T. Owens 31, M. Muhammad 31, M. Harrison 32, H. Ward 28
2003 T. Holt 27, R. Moss 26, M. Harrison 31, C. Johnson 25, H. Ward 27
2002 M. Harrison 30, T. Owens 29, E. Moulds 29, J. Rice 40
2001 D. Boston 23, T. Owens 28, M. Harrison 29, R. Smith 31
2000 R. Moss 23, T. Owens 27, M. Harrison 28, R. Smith 30

Admittedly, some young guys made the cut but Jerry Rice making it with over 90 catches at the age of 40 kind of suggests elite receivers may have a longer shelf-life then you imagine. Who's to say when Owens, R. Moss, or Chad Johnsons' production will significantly diminish.

You can look at the trade value for those guys and see the NFL knows NOTHING about what to put on a previous AP ALL-PRO WR. Owens ends up in Philly for a 5th, Moss in NE for a 4th, Chad Johnson can't get out of dodge for two 1sts - Thank God.

Santana had the one big year almost 1500 yards 9 TDs a ton of catches in the Joe Gibbs offense and then injuries and the Weird AL offense limited his production, he'll have at least two more in the Zorn offense, then who knows?

The LONG post and point that I want to make is let's stop the "trade Santana" chants or speculation and play out this playoff season.

Posted by: bangkokben | July 22, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Football upon us
Hall of Famer in the mix
I'm way beyond hyped

Posted by: MV Dame | July 22, 2008 11:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm chris larry, baby, so why don't you kill me.

Posted by: beck | July 23, 2008 12:54 AM | Report abuse

in the time of chimpanzees i was a chia

Posted by: beck | July 23, 2008 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bill | July 22, 2008 8:20 PM

This is a Washington Post blog. The team name is not in their jurisdiction. If you want to voice your displeasure about the team name, post your comments on the Redskins' own blog, or write a letter to Dan Snyder.

Posted by: Professor Chaos | July 23, 2008 2:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alex35332 | July 22, 2008 9:03 PM

All of them - 100%.

Posted by: Prof. Chaos | July 23, 2008 2:56 AM | Report abuse

tossin salad

Posted by: Anonymous | July 23, 2008 3:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: | July 22, 2008 9:30 PM

Dude, get a grip. I hate Snyder as much as the next guy, but let's not cut off our nose to spite our face. I wish they still had training camp in Carlisle too (I live about 30 minutes from there), but as long as they're not doing that ridiculous set-up from 2000 training camp, I have no issue anymore.

As for coverage of the team, you must be new to the area. The Redskins have ALWAYS been king in the D.C. area. The Wizards/Bullets have been bad for most of their existence and the baseball team still has new car smell (mixed in with the stink of losing). Not to mention NFL football is far and away the most popular sport in this country. Oh, and were you aware that Danny hates all media except for Larry Michael (his puppet) and George Michael?

I'm sure Danny's an a-hole. I'm sure he treats his employees poorly, as it's been well documented. But let's not damn the team because it's in the clutches of Napolean. If life were fair, a-holes like Jerry Jones wouldn't have 3 Lombardis to his credit.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 23, 2008 6:37 AM | Report abuse

bangkokben,

Thanks for putting the numbers up and I guess I was surprised by how many guys over 29 made the list. Nerd that I am, I put the numbers in a spreadsheet and here's what I found. First column is age, second is the number of times the age was in your list and third is the percentage.

23 2 6%
24 1 3%
25 2 6%
26 4 12%
27 4 12%
28 4 12%
29 4 12%
30 4 12%
31 4 12%
32 1 3%
33 1 3%
34 2 6%
40 1 3%

Here's what I'd infer:

"Peak years" for a WR are ages 26 to 31. These comprise 60% of the ages in the list.

There's a pretty sharp dropoff after 31. And the only three guys who made the list after they were 31 -- T. Owens, M. Harrison, J. Rice -- had already made the list before they were 31.

Now, as to trading Moss and ARE, my point was that next year they will have no trade value, and I'm sticking to it. They will be 30. They are not "elite" receivers now, and they aren't likely to become one at age 30. Moss does have a chance if he can put up the numbers this year, but ARE will never enter the group of "elite" receivers. And even aging elite receivers have little trade value -- e.g., Randy Moss.

I'm with you on not trading these two guys because I don't think we can get anything for them. That's a pipe dream. But, unless they put up some numbers this year and the next, I can't see keeping them when their present contracts run out.

Posted by: talent evaluator | July 23, 2008 6:38 AM | Report abuse

... duct tape Redcoat to a telephone pole and make him shout "Hail to the Redskins" at passing cars.

Posted by: SMACK | July 22, 2008 9:30 AM

THIS POST I like...

Just checking in briefly before 'death by planning' continues. I thought the Constitution of this here country is supposed to protect us from cruel and unusual punishment'?

HAIL! (to the Dolphins)

And an answer to whoever's question yesterday about JT and playing linebacker. He actually did it quite often on downs in 2005 and 2006 when we played the hybrid 3-4/4-3 switching formations with the exact same personnel on the field. And Alex, JT didn't play aooposite anyone as good as Andre Carter in Miami in the last few years.

Byee!!

Posted by: Redcoat | July 23, 2008 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Redcoat,

Make me feel better about the JT trade. How good is he against the run?

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 23, 2008 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Let's wait and see how moss and ARE play.....barring injury i think these two have good years.

why?

1. WCO allows for YAC. both strengths of their game.

2. More slot for ARE is a positive

3. What part of ARE's game did you not like last season pre injury?

4. With legit tall WRs now and more options, Moss doesnt have to be a possession WR that he was forced into being in Gibbs Off. Now he can be used more as a weapon.

5. small fast guys will thrive in the holes opened from the size of the other WR/TE

6. Improvement by JC

Posted by: chris larry | July 23, 2008 7:57 AM | Report abuse

The CowPies fan torments the Fins fan on the redskins blog.
Go figure.

Posted by: cload & daggar | July 23, 2008 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Oh my God...there's a ranking of the NFL's worst owners and Dan Snyder isn't even on the bottom half! Amazing what one relatively quiet offseason does for the public perception...

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 23, 2008 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Its good to see Redskins articles in the paper again.

Skins are going to have a great year.

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | July 23, 2008 8:05 AM | Report abuse

I have heard that argument alot...Redskins get all the press in WaPo and the Nationals get none.

I say thank goodness for that. This has always been a football town and will always be a football town.

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | July 23, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Redcoat | July 23, 2008 7:39 AM

Redcoat,

It works for US Citizens. It doesn't apply to prisoners of war in Gitmo. I think you're in that grey area between the two groups, at least for now.

Posted by: talent evaluator | July 23, 2008 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Make me feel better about the JT trade. How good is he against the run?

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 23, 2008 7:56 AM

He's pretty good brownwood. Better than people give him credit for.

JT has such a reputation for the pass rush that it's easy to forget that he really is an all-round defensive end.

Saban started switching him around a few years ago (playing left end, even LB sometimes) and people thought he'd just get run-over, but that actually brought a new dimension to his game in terms of physicality.

What you've got is a DE who plays the game like an extra MLB; I've lost count of the number of times over the years that I've seen him start to rush, read the play, drop back and make the INT - and then take it to the house more often than any other NFL defensive player.

I'm sad that I won't see him in a Fins shirt any more - at least until he hangs his cleats up - but I'm happy that I get to see him play way more often now.

You guys are in for a real treat.

Posted by: Redcoat | July 23, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

youguys know melinda gates was a director of post...that explains all the bad pub iPhone gets uphere j/k

Posted by: dealer | July 23, 2008 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Persona non grada...

Welcome to RI, although your reasons for being here seem to be of the disgruntled, vitriolic variety.

Washington has always been, and will alway be, a football town. We don't care about baseball. We don't care about soccer.

In terms of Snyder and the Post, a quote by H. L. Menken on conspiracy theories will make my point better than I could ever state it:

"The central belief of every moron is that he is the victim of a mysterious conspiracy against his common rights and true deserts."

Posted by: SCSkins | July 23, 2008 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Cooley's at it again: Top 10 Training Camp Moments, courtesy of Captain Chaos...

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 23, 2008 8:21 AM | Report abuse

I thought it was persona non grata??

I think Snyder is settling down. Of course I have never worked for the guy so I can only judge him from the team standpoint. He went through his selfish stage where he had the power and the money, and was a new owner, and felt like he needed to make an impression.

Everyone who starts a new job, tries to show their stuff by any means necessary, NFL owners are no different.

Im sure there are plenty of teams that have owners that are like this but are able to hide it just a bit better than Snyder. I like the fact that the owner is willing to spend whatever it takes to get whatever we need. Hopefully Snyder, Cerrato, and Zorn can get together and work together.

Posted by: Cheyenne WY | July 23, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Good morning...waiting for practice to begin...I'll post a new entry shortly. But, in the meantime, what's with the ladies lately? Danica Patrick (okay, she's been itching for a scrap for about two years) and Milka (great name) Duno and now the WNBA brawl! What a shock -- I am STUNNED -- to see Rick Mahorn in the middle of that one.

Posted by: Cindy | July 23, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 23, 2008 8:02 AM

Brownie,

Where would you rank Dan Snyder as an owner?

You know, last year's off-season had little to do with it. Two years ago this same guy ranked Snyder as the third best owner in the NFL. Here's what he wrote then:

"I can't believe I'm ranking Snyder this high, and a lot of people I know around the league are going to brutalize me for doing so, but right now Dan is The Man in two big ways: He has turned the franchise he loves into a money-making machine, and his willingness to spend that money in pursuit of victory is second to none. Plus, since his hiring of Joe Gibbs as coach, he has begun to learn to get out of the way on the football side."

Last year he ranked Snyder #5. I would think that Snyder's handling of Sean Taylor's murder as well as this past offseason would have raised him to number 2, 3, or 4 in Silver's rankings.

I'm thinking that either you or Mike Silver is out of touch and lacking in perspective.

Posted by: talent evaluator | July 23, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

JT NOT playing right end...

Do you guys play Chicago this year? Rex will be SO happy to see JT again...

Posted by: Redcoat | July 23, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

He understands the void Joe Gibbs, the franchise's most recognizable mug, has left. What if Taylor morphs into that guy, taking the spotlight away from the player who leads with his shoulder and, occasionally, his mouth?

Wise is now on my suck list. CP doesn't come across to me as the type of person who cares he get the praise.

Posted by: jm220 | July 23, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

But, in the meantime, what's with the ladies lately?

Posted by: Cindy | July 23, 2008 8:27 AM

What do you mean "lately"? We've had women's Roller Derby forever. Plus wrestling, boxing, American Gladiators, and "Powder Puff" Football. Female species are bangers.

Posted by: talent evaluator | July 23, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Cindy,

You forgot to throw my ex-wife in there.

Brutal

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | July 23, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

You forgot to throw my ex-wife in there.

Brutal

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | July 23, 2008 8:36 AM

Apparently we were both formerly married to the same woman!!

Posted by: Redcoat | July 23, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

You're right, TE. And I can't speak to the first ex-Mrs. Cheyenne. Just seems like they're grabbing the headlines this week, that's all. Probably because it's, duh, good video.
beep beep....no news, tho, so don't go all Rick Mahorn on me in the cyber sense.

Posted by: Cindy | July 23, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

oh no you di-int!

Posted by: cload & daggar | July 23, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent evaluator | July 22, 2008 2:37 PM

When you have problems with the OL like the Skins did last year then every aspect of the O will suffer. But also, if you take the last 4 regular season games and spread that over 16, you'll see better stats if stats is what you're after. Moss and El will be fine. The extra receivers this year will help. And pray the OL can stay healthy for once.

Posted by: skinfanman | July 23, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse