Zorn on, Well, Pretty Much Everything

We're always learning new things about Z-Man (who likes his turkey smoked, by the way) and he touched on a list of topics after practice.

The Giants have caught Zorn's attention for the confidence with which they are playing and the way they seem to make little adjustments every game, in all three phases of the game, to win. "They just find a way," Zorn said.

New York's vaunted pass rush is different from the norm, in that they utilize more defensive backs than other teams, Zorn said, something his offense must prepare for. They are bracing for a fire-zone scheme, while Zorn admitted the Redskins are still searching for more sacks as well, but pointed out a few positives in the pass rush, too.

They are trying "to get a better push inside," but have generally contained opposing quarterbacks for the most part, Zorn said. "I'm trying to look at the positives," Zorn said.

He also praised the overall consistency of QB Jason Campbell, pointing out how rare that is for a young passer, with so few of the ups and downs that are normal. "I've been able to really trust him on the football field with the football," Zorn said.

Campbell is failing in one area, however. He seems incapable of sliding properly when he scrambles. We've all seen how awkward it is, right? "I'm so embarrassed," Zorn said of those displays, having spent ample time in preseason on slip-and-slide drills aimed at getting the QB down in a safe and timely manner. Zorn doesn't have a problem with JC putting the shoulder down and going for the extra yard at times, but he needs to know when and how to slide. It will be a major offseason topic of work, Zorn said.

Zorn was asked if rookie WRs Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas were competing for playing time, and Zorn said that Thomas "is a little bit ahead of Malcolm," even though Kelly was on the field more last Sunday. He said that he wants to keep Thomas involved more in deeper routes (which aren't called as much).

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 26, 2008; 4:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn Ruling Only Washington Out
Next: Remembering 21: Wise Looks Back

Comments

Z, my take on football is that anyone who doesn't play for the Skins sucks. :-)

That said, I'd go with Chester Taylor. Vikings are at home. Bears will be keying on Adrian Peterson in the run, and will be focused on Berrian in passing situations. Taylor can fly below the radar to contribute in both scenarios.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 26, 2008 4:20 PM

Posted by: freakzilla | November 26, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

devin thomas will get his first TD this game

Posted by: mehtadman87 | November 26, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

"I'm trying to look at the positives," Zorn said.

(It's not Rick Azztley, I promise ;)
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | November 26, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

TE, I'm still not sure about drinking wine for a football game, it just doesn't work for me. I really have to get creative I think.

Posted by: kost52 | November 26, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I have an idea, are there any mainstream US Maps beers which might be available over here, brewed in the DC area?

Posted by: kost52 | November 26, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Here's some ideas on everything for the the Z-Man:

1. Dump-off and check down passes to Betts

2. Let Devin Thomas returns punts

3. Put Moss and Randle El in slot sets and
let them run crossing routes underneath
the Gints young safeties

4. Once the team is within field goal
range, run Malcolm Kelly on post routes
into the end zone-- fade patterns don't
work as well as jump balls in the end
zone

5. Rock Cartwright's legs are fresh: let
him get at least 25-30 carries over the
next two games against the two killer
defenses the Skins are about to face.

6. Put Lorenzo Alexander back into the
jumbo package on short yardage

7. Make James Thrash earn his check: if
he's the third receiver, get him the
ball from time to time

8. Bring back the sweep with Randy Thomas
and Sellers leading Portis/Cartwright

9. Hurry up and huddless offense might
help Jason Campbell get into an early
groove

The Skins must split the next two games and
go undefeated to end the year at 10-6 which means playoffs. But without some adjustments, the draft and free agency will be here before X-Mass.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 26, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Wine comes from Paris, France. You can't drink that during football.

Posted by: SMACK1 | November 26, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Fletcher is the only guy that scares me being out, Washington has been out most of the year again and our front four has been playing like backups all year anyway so why not give the real backups a shot. I actually hope our front four is a rotation of Griff, Monte, Boschetti at tackle and Alexander, Evans and Gholston at ends. We don't get a pass rush anyway so why play the little guys at end? Play Taylor and Wilson at the rush linebacker spots, and blitz a lot. With Burress hurt or out, our secondary can man up against them easy, play beef on the line and stop the run, make them test our strength.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 26, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 26, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I can recommend Old Dominion:

There's a link to a map there, too. Unfortunately, it says they closed the Brew Pub in August.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | November 26, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

4-12, not so fast, my friend. From the same ontheissues.org page that you cited:

Principles that Obama supports on gun issues:

* Ban the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic weapons.

* Increase state restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms.

* Require manufacturers to provide child-safety locks with firearms.

Source: 1998 IL State Legislative National Political Awareness Test Jul 2, 1998

----

That first point would basically reduce legal firearms to shotguns, and bolt-action and lever rifles. Pretty much all guns sold today -- save for shotguns and revolvers -- are semi-automatic, be they pistols or rifles. And revolvers being handguns, Obama would give them no quarter.

As for the second point, that would make non-semi-auto firearms harder for the law-abiding to purchase as well.

Criminals, of course, would continue buying guns illegally and wreaking their usual havoc, just like in DC.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 26, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe | November 26, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

No to Cartwright, no to Thrash, yes to everything else and if they split and then go undefeated they are 11-5.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 26, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Note to Zorn and the Coaching Staff: How about not getting outcoached this "big game" I know its early in your career as a head coach buts lets be creative on O this week and tell your special teams coach to draw up something special(PUNT BLOCK,REVERSE,KO/PR) to give the team an early advantage this is a critical game in terms of staying in the playoff hunt,so let it all hang out.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 26, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Wine comes from Paris, France. You can't drink that during football.

Posted by: SMACK1

I knew you'd be with me SMACK!

Posted by: kost52 | November 26, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

What is this "New Guy" crap, some new form of racism, or just your version of McCain's disrespectful "That one?"

Posted by: TheCork | November 26, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Cork, PLEASE. Give me a break. I don't disagree that we need to keep politics off this blog but you are really reaching to extrapolate racial bigotry out of that sentence.

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 26, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Wolverines!

Seriously, freak.

I'm sure Obama will use his PATRIOT Act powers to spy on you, track you down, and have the U.N. secret police take your weapons from your cold dead hands...but just why do we have a USA PATRIOT Act, again?
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | November 26, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

It is true that burgundy comes from France, though well outside Paris. But the really good wine is from Australia.

As for drinking it during fubbal, you're right -- it makes no sense at all even if it's from Australia.

And, isn't okay to like the French and their wine again now that Obama's been elected? I live two blocks from the French Ambassador's home (which is across the street from Rumsfeld's home) and I was planning to start picking up the dog's poop when he drops it outside the Ambassador's home. That's okay, isn't it?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 26, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I guess I could go with Zywiec, it will support the Z-man, and it's been brought up on the blog.

Posted by: kost52 | November 26, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Nothing I like more on the day ST died and Thanksgiving eve than talk about automatic weapons!

Posted by: chrislarry | November 26, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

The Skins must split the next two games and

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 26, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

That would put us at 11-5 and def in the playoffs. 10-6 is also likely to do the job.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 26, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

PSP you out there?? You reading this??

just checkin....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 26, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Good post MistaMoe

1. Dump-off and check down passes to Betts
+Normally a big fan of throws to the backs, but not so much vs the jint

2. Let Devin Thomas returns punts
+Or D. Hall, not Randle El

3. Put Moss and Randle El in slot sets and
let them run crossing routes underneath
the Gints young safeties
+I'd like to see more Kelly, Moss has got to go deep at times. More shotgun.

4. Once the team is within field goal
range, run Malcolm Kelly on post routes
into the end zone-- fade patterns don't
work as well as jump balls in the end
zone
+At last, someone else who doesn't like fade patterns. By all means, get that big target to a place where Campbell can throw it with some zip

5. Rock Cartwright's legs are fresh: let
him get at least 25-30 carries over the
next two games against the two killer
defenses the Skins are about to face.
+ Like Rock, would like to see the Skins run the ball on 40 plays or more. But Betts and Portis are the guys to do that.

6. Put Lorenzo Alexander back into the
jumbo package on short yardage
+NO!! The Skins need to give Alexander a real job at this point and it should be on the d-line

7. Make James Thrash earn his check: if
he's the third receiver, get him the
ball from time to time
+ The less Thrash, the better. Hopefully Kelly is our #2 WR by the end of the weekend (wishful thinking, huh)

8. Bring back the sweep with Randy Thomas
and Sellers leading Portis/Cartwright
+ Yes. I'm thinking sweeps and off tackle runs behind Samuels.

9. Hurry up and huddless offense might
help Jason Campbell get into an early
groove
+ NO. Skins have not done much no huddle and this isn't the place to learn it. Plus we want to shorten the game (less possessions for each team) so it stays close. We have guys who are comfortable in close games.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 26, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2

Like the innovative thinking here. If our d-line isn't going to rush the passer, then make it all about stopping the run and try to get a pass rush from Taylor blitzing.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 26, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I could drink this whenever the Giants have the ball?

Posted by: kost52 | November 26, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | November 26, 2008 4:41 PM

TheCork = poolman?

I hadn't even seen this until LMG's quoting of it.

Cork,

Bush = outgoing president = old guy.

Obama = incoming president = new guy.

Good grief. Touchy much?

I guess it's time to hunker down for four years of anything other than glowing praise for His High Hopey-Changiness being labeled as racism.

"Bush!tler?" That's cool.

But call the new guy "New Guy" and you're the next George "Everyone Always Selectively Forgets I Was a Democrat" Wallace.

----

F racism. F race baiters. F the Giants.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 26, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

And here I thought I had bad neighbors.

Posted by: SMACK1 | November 26, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | November 26, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Seriously...lay off guys. Lets focus on pigskin.

zjfr2, I also like your thinking about beefing up the front 4 and letting Taylor play more of a LB hybrid role...that should work better against Jacobs, but we will need some speed on the edges against Ward, Bradshaw....bottom line is we need to put 8 guys up in the box, in various formations, and make Eli beat our man press coverage.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 26, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

devin thomas will get his first TD this game

Posted by: mehtadman87 | November 26, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I've been hearing that for 10 games.

What's with Zorn telling everyone that D.Thomas is in for "deep" routes? Doesn't that sort of tip the hand...unless he's playing reverse psychology and continues to use D.Thomas for...well, not much of anything.

Posted by: p1funk | November 26, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kost52 | November 26, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

TheCork = Barno1?

New Guy outrage sounds a lot like Leave Shaun Alexander Alone.

Posted by: SMACK1 | November 26, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

"p1funk, it's all relative, by 'deep routes' he means between 10-15 yards from the line of scrimmage."

It means he's not blocking or doesn't block very well so he won't be called upon for any package that could end up as a run ... even a QB scramble.

Noting that the same was not said for Malcom Kelly. He may not be up to snuff on the packages and patterns but they will trust him in there on running plays.

Posted by: periculum | November 26, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

I think the guy who mentioned Betts catching passes is right. Think we'll see him getting the ball alot more in the passing game in this game.

Posted by: periculum | November 26, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Vinny was just on Redskins Nation reminiscing about Sean T. Vinny said he mentioned to Snyder that Sean's new contract would have been coming up and asked him what he would have done. Snyder replied he would have told Rosenhaus "Try not to be too hard on me but name your price - tell me what you want."

Vinny also said that Jackie (Sean's girlfriend) told them after he passed away that Sean had built a video room in his house so he could study film....said he wanted to be the best and did not want to let anyone down.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 26, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Best football story of the day:

While the Hawkeyes were stomping the Gophers on the Metrodome field last weekend, police said two Iowa fans were having a romp of a different kind in a restroom. Both events, police say, had their share of cheering fans.

A 38-year-old woman and a 26-year-old man turned to a handicapped stall for their tryst Saturday evening.

On the field, the Hawkeyes were on their way to 55-0 trouncing of the Gophers. In the restroom, a crowd of intoxicated fans gathered to cheer the off-the-field event.

Eventually, a security guard tipped off University of Minnesota police. Officers had to interrupt the couple to cite them for indecent conduct, a misdemeanor.

Police Chief Greg Hestness said the woman initially gave a false name to officers. She was released to her husband and the man was released to his girlfriend.

****and my favorite line of the story****

Both people in the stall were intoxicated.

(Doh!!)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 26, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

RIP Sean

I'm sure one of yall can help me out here, where is Taylor buried at? I gotta make it a point to show my respect one day and just wanted to know.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 26, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

"

Posted by: Lisa_R "

yeah, even THIS front office knew what they had.

lol, no effing way we would've ever let him go. He would've had to have some deep hatred for our organization to leave, it just wasn't gonna happen.

- that's said in jest, trying to be much lighter than I feel right now

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 26, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Both people in the stall were intoxicated.

(Doh!!)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 26, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

You know how we do.

Last game the Gophs have to play in that heap. Have a good one, Vikes!

Loving the speculative tactical talk here today. I say, why not use the screen a bit more if the pass rush is getting too much? Those couple of screens to Moss last game were great plays.
I know it hasn't work that great in the past (too much of a god thing during Gibbs2, I think...), but a couple of screens can keep the Gint LBs honest at least.

Kelly needs a touchdown. I want that guy to be a beast so bad. I want him to be the older brother holding his arm out while the DB takes lame swings at him.

Mmmmm beer.

Posted by: MNSkinsFan | November 26, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

(too much of a god thing during Gibbs2, I think...)

Posted by: MNSkinsFan | November 26, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

oops! *good* thing.

heh

Posted by: MNSkinsFan | November 26, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Horseradish mashed potatoes topped by carmelized onions -- potatoes done ... only 3.5 pounds of onion to chop

Brine - dissolved

Brine bag - ready

Turkey - washed and skinned (I got a new tip this year ... to completely skin, cook upside down and unstuffed in the oven for 45 minutes at 450 (braising?), THEN to the grill).

What are you guys talking about?

Also, my recollection is that Blache loves and always has loved Boschetti.

Still, I'm staying full medium on this game. Its that Giants D-line against our O-line that gives me the willies.

Posted by: dcsween | November 26, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

If you get a chance visit Skins.com. Click on the nightly news clip. CP/Moss talk about the favorite memory of the Reaper. The both said Cowboys game where the Reaper told TO that he was after him and was going to hit him on every play. CP said that by the end of the game you could tell that TO didn't want any part of the Reaper.
JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 26, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

lisa, i heard your e-mail read by larry michael last night. i woulda posted last night but i was in a nyquil induced coma, half asleep, half dead. but i heard it. you're so funny!

for those of you who didn't watch it lisa was asking larry michael if the skins could petition the nfl to have the balmer game moved back to the non-PT time since the these skins haven't done well in prime time.

Posted by: dealer1 | November 26, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Just finished reading Stein's post and Fred Smoot is the best quote in fubball. He's the Redskin I would most want to be on a road trip with. He's freakin' hilarious!

Posted by: rickyroge | November 26, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

to which larry michael replied "no. that's not possible."

Posted by: dealer1 | November 26, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

the number 1 thing wrong with people with guns is that they feel empowered when they should feel humbled.

Posted by: dealer1 | November 26, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

The biggest problem with Guns are those that have them that can spell G.U.N.... b/c that spells Disaster....

man, I loved seeing him Roam back there....I really wished he was still around...

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | November 26, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

gun talk is insulting right now

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 26, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

What are the chances that Landry can turn into somewhat of a Beast back there? I like LaRon, but just don't think he can get to that level.

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | November 26, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

SICWIDIT'S THANKSGIVING POLL O' DA WEEK PART III!!!

1) The best part of the turkey is the:

a) breast
b) wing
c) leg
d) neck

2) At dinner, I will sit...

a) in front of the TV
b) at that raggedy azz card table with the kids
c) at the big table
d) in a restaurant

3) I know I'm wrong, but I will fantasize about sleeping with:

a) my wife/girl
b) my cousin
c) my brother's wife/girl
d) my sister's girlfriend
e) my sister's boyfriend

4) __________makes the nastiest___________

5) __________ is a riot at Thanksgiving

6) The Redskin I would most like to come to Thanksgiving dinner is:

a) Jim Zorn
b) Mike Sellars
c) Chris Cooley
d) Fred Smoot (hands down my answer)

7) By 8PM tomorrow, I will be:

a) sleep
b) drunk
c) drunk, sleep
d) drunk, sleep and telling that those same stories I tell at every Thanksgiving

8) The Redskins should most be thankful for:

a) Jim Zorn
b) Clinton Portis
c) Greg Blache
d) Secondary
e) Leigh Torrence

HAVE AT IT RI...

RIP Sean Taylor...Miss ya'

Posted by: rickyroge | November 26, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

"

Posted by: michael_b_clegg"

I agree, I see LaRon being a very good safety, and I hesitate to say "very, very good safety".

But then I think and look at the FS we had before him and one year with him and think maybe we were all spoiled?

And unfortunately I don't think LaRon has that in him. LaRon will be VERY servicable and that is nothing to complain about, but the gamechanger I'm looking for unfortunately was murdered about 364 days and 4 hours ago.

And I'm probably dwelling on it and making ST to be out something he wasn't, I don't know, but I have no problem with it. It's helping me attempt to get over it, which isn't coming easily.

The sad fact is us Redskins fans will compare LaRon to ST for many, many years. Like I said, LaRon is good and he's a VERY serviceable safety, but another safety back with him a year ago was a gamechanger, and unfortunately I don't think LaRon will ever be a gamechanger.

And PLEASE let me be wrong.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 26, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

I thought yall might like to see what I told another message board about Sean Taylor. They aren't always up-to-date on sports information, usually very behind, so I gave them a rundown :

"Tomorrow, November 27th, marks one year later from Sean Taylor's death.

If you don't know Sean Taylor, he played for the Washington Redskins.

He was a guy with a somewhat troubled past, but he was quiet and humble.

He was 24 years old and coming around on learning what life was about.
He had quit his old ways and was taking care of his young daughter.
On the field, he was a once in a lifetime player you couldn't take your eyes off of.

To me, his death reminds me of the fact that you shouldn't take anything for granted.

He was Superman on the field, but apparently very vulnerable off the field.

He was quiet, he didn't like speaking to the media.

Clinton Portis, a fellow Redskin, at his funeral said Sean was the kind of person
that would come up to you after a hard-fought game and say "Did you see Tom & Jerry last night?"

He was just getting in his prime as a player and as a human being.

This might be the first year ever I will hug both of my parents and tell them what they mean to me.

And I thankfully owe that to Sean Taylor's death. He was murdered in a botched robbery.

Sean Taylor will live on, he is an eternal Redskin and a person I am proud to say I cheered for.

The lesson is, take the time to tell people how much you care about them.

If you have a great family like I do, LET THEM KNOW. Nothing can mean more than positive words.
Life is too damn short for everyone. If a "Superman" can get shot in the leg and die, you can die
tomorrow

in a car wreck. Live every day to the fullest, and seriously thank about how lucky you are

to be where you are on Thanksgiving. I guaran-*******-tee, right now, if you look back

and think about some things you've done, you'll realize your life could be a LOT worse than it is."

just thought I'd share, those are some true words on how I feel, and I feel just horrible. I can't even imagine what the family feels, having to sit down to eat Thanksgiving without such a young, humble person so full of life. I hope they feel just as thankful as we feel for having watched him played and everything he gave us and them.

for the upteenth time, RIP Sean Taylor, ALWAYS a Redskin and ALWAYS in our hearts.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 26, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Truth, I would point out that LaRon did change the game last Sunday. His athletic INT gave us a short field, which resulted in a momentum-shifting TD and a 17-10 lead.

To answer your earlier question, Sean is buried at Caballero Rivero Woodlawn South Cemetery in Miami.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 26, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

While his death is indeed a tragedy, let's hold back on making him a saint. He had extraordinary talent but along with it a lot of misplaced anger. Seems like he started to finally get it together when he was killed. I feel badly for his family, but it's not as if he was Ghandi or Mandela. Instead of pining away for a young man who has gone home to Glory, why not use that energy to help your neighbor? Do something that makes a positive difference for pete's sakes! Poems about the dead are a waste of time! It's the living who need our time, thoughts and prayers.

Posted by: Schroeder12 | November 26, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

"

Posted by: Schroeder12"

I definitely respect that, but I somewhat disagree.

Personally I'm almost always a little oversensitive about things, and maybe the Sean Taylor death hit me a lot harder than it should have.

But personally, I'm DEFINITELY not a person that worships celebrities, but this death really, really hit me the wrong way. I tried to be over it and I thought I was over it, but I'm really not.

I do agree though, that he was no saint and that he didn't change the world for the better, but that's what makes me respect him, because I'm about in the same boat as he was.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 26, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

"I dunno. Right now and probably forever I will expect safeties to be game changers who, if they don't intercept it or cause a fumble, will hit the **** out of you in the end."

UMMMM, WHAT? do you guys watch the games? Last time I checked LaRon had the INT that changed the game and lead to Skins TD on a short field, and a huge change in momentum.

Also Laron covers half the field. Remember in 2006 every one was saying "whats wrong with sean taylor" the answer was nothing, he was doing what was asked of him so well that plays werent being called his way. Same with Laron this year.

Laron is very, very good aend about #193 in list of skins problems.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 26, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

oh chrislarry, believe me, I'm not saying LaRon is a problem on our team, he's damn good but compared to Sean Taylor he's not as good.

and that's definitely not a knock on LaRon, but just props to our Eternal Skin

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 26, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Taylor was one of a kind, and tragedy has cast him as folk hero. r.i.p....

Lets just Laron be Laron. Comparisons are unfair to both.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 26, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Sean Taylor wasn't a saint, Ghandi, or Mandela. Sean Taylor is a beloved Washington Redskins, who was senselessly murdered while trying to defend his home, his family.

We as fans who follow this team know of his both on and off the field. But you know something else? We also loved his play on-field, and was starting to respect, and in some cases, adore the man he was becoming off it. There are fans that can identify with Sean Taylor the MAN, such as myself. There are fans, such as myself, who feel that he is a representation of the mistakes you make in life do not define who you are. Sean Taylor was by in no means perfect, but I'd go so far to say that you aren't either, sir.

I personally think that you taking the time to mention Taylor's negatives, this day, at this hour--his last on this earth--were made in bad timing and is overall classless. There are people that could relate and connect with this man on just more than his play on the field, or maybe just overall respect the MAN Sean Taylor. Let them grieve and reflect if they so choose at this time.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 26, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

We as fans who follow this team know of his both on and off the field.

Should read: "... know of his transgressions both..."

I just don't get the harping on what he didn't do right. We're not saying the man is Jesus or some supernatural being. We're just taking the time to reflect on a man's life and what it meant to us.

If you say you respect the man, at least give him this day.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 26, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

word, RedDMV

Posted by: chrislarry | November 26, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Red, I agree for the most part, but the faults Sean Taylor had shouldn't be ignored or covered up. So what if he had faults? I have faults, you have faults, everybody has faulted. Anybody that wants to stand up today and insult Sean Taylor has faults. That's called being a human being. It can't be ignored.

When I think about Sean Taylor, the first thing I remember is the ******* beast he was on the football field, and I love it.

The second thing I think about is the human being growing up and learning from his mistakes. I realize that he worked towards making a change and was on his way to accomplishing it, and I really, really love that.

That's what made Sean Taylor to me other than his football talent. He'll always be Meast, but I also really enjoy remembering him as a guy that made plenty of mistakes but had worked his way towards getting past those very same mistakes.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 26, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes a poem helps the person writing the poem more so than those who read the poem.

Someone who is grieving needs to heal before they are able to help someone else...

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 26, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I just really miss the dude, and can only think what he and LaRon would've done for years to come.

You know in life your mistakes, your transgressions don't define who you are, but if you learn from them, they can make you of a person of good character, morals, and values. Everyone who knew him said that he was "figuring it out". He was starting to rededicate his life to becoming a postive and good man and to his craft as well.

It's just a really sad day for a lot of us.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 26, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

unfortunately I don't think LaRon will ever be a gamechanger.

And PLEASE let me be wrong.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 26, 2008 8:14 PM

I think LaRon already is a game changer. Grilliams held ST out for a few games his rookie year (as he did with all his first pick rookies). LaRon was ready Week One. Landry just needs to keep a manage an entire defense from on top ... which is why we are hearing the chatter about Springs to FS ... to move LL and CH to the box to pressure Eli.

Posted by: dcsween | November 26, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Pressure Eli sounds nice.

Put his @ss on the grass is even bettuh.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | November 26, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

I appreciate all the comments on my post regarding Sean Taylor. Of course I have my faults. We're all sinners. Not a single one of us is blameless. My point is that writing poems to a dead person a whole year later, especially someone I'm willing to bet almost nobody on this blog ever met or spent any time with personally is, well, creepy. Many folks seem to want to inject themselves into a celebrity's tragedy to try and make it about them. It's as if they can somehow make people want to console them for losing someone they never, ever knew in real life. There's something radically wrong with that.

Posted by: Schroeder12 | November 26, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to pound my point home one step further. Think about this. If it had been you shot and killed in your home a year ago, do you think Sean Taylor (or insert your favorite celebrity or sports idol here) would have given more than a minute's reflection on that, much less compose a poem a year later? If you had a flat tire and your idol drove by, do you think they'd stop and help you out? Get my point? You only know a small fraction about these people through the images projected on your television. You don't know them personally. In fact, if you tried to talk to them for any length of time, their security would have you unceremoniously dumped on your keester in about 5 seconds, with a restraining order to follow the next day.

Posted by: Schroeder12 | November 26, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

"Tony Romo Changes Tire For Stranded Motorist After Game"

Posted by: SMACK1 | November 26, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

I loved Sean Taylor as a player and wish he was still a player for this team, but I too am a little tired of the never ending act like everybody on here knew him personally and what great guy and blah blah blah. I remember a great player who was fun to watch, who got a lot of personal fouls, spit in other players faces repeatedly, chased down some guys who stole a ATV and assaulted them with a gun, and had a shady reputation that he was apparently turning around and had a tragic thing happen that could happen to anybody and does everyday but we don't give a crap about all them because they can't run a 4.3 and tackle. I know nothing about him personally, but I'm over the RIP and group hug for him. It was a tragedy, so was my neighbor losing his wife to breast cancer, so was my buddy dying in Iraq. Let's quit acting like this guy was anything more than he was, a guy who could play a game better than most, apparently a good father and friend who died too early like too many other people who happen to not play football. To me the bigger tragedy is that we anoint this guy to such a level of reverence because he could play a kids game for a living.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 26, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Could not have said it better myself, zjfr2....

Posted by: 70Chip | November 26, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys, we all loved #21, but how about a taking break from that subject for a few minutes, and put on your GM hat for a minute. Tell which of the following free-agent defenders (if any) you would want to add look at adding to our squad next year, and why or why not?

-Karlos Dansby, OLB
-Julius Peppers, DE
-Albert Haynesworth, DT

Posted by: PDXskin | November 26, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Dansby and Haynesworth only. They've been consistently dominant, Peppers had two crap years before this because this is a contract year. Plus, he'll command the highest salary cause its the flashiest position. Haynesworth fixes our entire DT position because Monte, Gholston, and Alexander are good enough next to him. Dansby, Blades, Fletcher, and Rocky is pretty good, at one young guy in the draft and your set there too. The Draft should be first round best LB/DE on the board, 3rd same thing, every other pick is Oline. Free agency, sign Dansby, Haynesworth, one vet receiver to replace Thrash and/or Randle el, and sign one Vet backup at Tackle and guard. easy peezy japanesey

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 26, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the comments, zjfr. I figure we could probably only afford to add one of those guys, with Dansby being the most affordable of the three (relatively speaking), but Haynesworth having the biggest impact for our D. We might be able to pick up a top shelf SLB in the draft with our first pick (there are a couple of good prospects who could fall to us), but I really hope we get a chance to trade back, similar to last year, to pick up some extra selections. Then it should be best available OL or DL the rest of the way through!

Posted by: PDXskin | November 26, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

i would take dansby in a heartbeat.....Ken Harvey 2.0.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 26, 2008 11:52 PM | Report abuse

PD, if I trusted Vinny with multiple picks I'd agree, but he might do something crazy like draft 3 pass catchers or something when we need help on our lines or at the core of the team.

Actually, I think we don't need the multiple picks, the Hall signing was great and I have to give Vinny credit for that, you let Springs, Grif, Jansen, Washington, and maybe even Randel El go and you have a ton of cap space. You resign Hall and bring Richardson up from the practice squad and your fine there, your already good at safety, if you sign Haynesworth and Dansby then all you need is youth/bulk at end and your D is set. On O we're good, you sign depth vets at tackle and guard/center, and maybe a vet wideout but thanks to this draft, you have to give Kelly and Thomas the opportunities at wideout and if we sign or draft a TE I will absolutely drive to Redskins Park and beat Vinny personally.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 27, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

It's really sad that a few people on this blog felt they had to criticize our praise of Sean Taylor (and someone's poem) on the anniversary of the day he was shot. Please, just don't read the comments (and poems) or just don't respond to them. This is, after all, a Redskins blog and we all loved Sean as a player - and we miss him.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 27, 2008 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Amen, brothers! Locking down Hall, and picking up either Dansby or Haynesworth (still think both would be too much to hope for) would help put our D over the top. Then maybe sign one mid-range veteran wideout (assuming Thrash or ARE is gone), to help bring the young guys along.

I still say DE/OL/LB in the draft, in approximately that order. Of course, with Vinny and Danny, who knows, they may draft nothing but corners and running backs, it hard to tell what their strategy is some times! I guess we just have to wait and see...

Posted by: PDXskin | November 27, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Well said Lisa. Just can't understand some people. But it sure shows why the world is the way it is.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 27, 2008 12:35 AM | Report abuse

WEll with the degree of defensive injuries that could affect this game.....I say that Zorn has to open the playbook and let Campbell sling it.......we are going to need to outscore the Giants rather than slow them down.

Posted by: goosedude | November 27, 2008 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 27, 2008 12:25 AM | Report abuse

It isn't sad, its living in real life where most people don't chose to ignore the thugness of a guy's life because of a tragedy that happens all the time to plenty of people who can't run fast or tackle and nobody cries or writes poems or recognizes the anniversary of their death. I tend to think its sadder that people die protecting this country, that my 6 year old neighbor who has to grow up without a mother who was a good woman her whole life because of breast cancer and other such tragedies deserve just as much if not more attention but get little to none because they don't play football. I'm not saying I don't care, but fanaticism scares me and while I'm sad for his daughter and family, people on here act like this guy was their family member or their idol cause he played football.....he was a thug, who apparently was a nice thug, and was starting to change his life around but really? poems and tears and crying over a guy I guarantee nobody on here knew or probably even met and if they had met him it was probably an annoyance to him cause it was wanting an autograph or something like that. I played sports, I love sports, and I always will, but to me the tragedy is the level of reverence and adoration our society puts on the guys cause that play a game but get treated as deities when there are very few of them who are even above average decent members of society these days. Sean Taylor was a GREAT football player and a questionable man, by that I mean the spitting in the face of other players the beating people up with guns the DUIs and other assorted scraps with the law, the fact is we know nothing about the guy personally other than what has been reported to us or said by a bunch of his buddies that we don't know either and most of whom are rich spoiled thugs themselves but because they play a game well they are worshiped and you'd think this guy was the pope or something because apparently he was starting to be a decent guy and good father. Like Chris Rock says, you shouldn't get or want credit for something you're supposed to do, and you're supposed to be a decent guy, you're supposed to stay out of jail, and you're supposed to take care of your children. The only thing special about this guy was what he did on the field, and that doesn't deserve worship, and I'm sad for people who think it does.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 27, 2008 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Can't say that I am surprised Jack. If it's only about winning then you are a sad individual. Whether or not you agree with the way some feel or want to remember ST or anyone for that matter, if you disagree just keep it to yourself.

ST was 24 when he was KILLED! Did he make mistakes? Yes. What kid has not? It must be nice to be perfect so that you can stand in judgment of young people who are learning what life is all about. What do you know about ST that you can call him a thug? How often did you spend time with him to give you insight to who he was as a person? You speak as if you knew him (as well as those who were close to him and call thugs as well!) enough to judge him a thug!

One thing my mom did teach me (and it is not just a saying in this case) is if you can't say something nice about someone, then don't say nothing at all (though I have to say something on this). How hard would it have been to just ignore what others have said (posted) on here? But you had to demean what they say/think because it is not inline with what you think?

As I remember ST and pray for his family, I also pray that people like you "get it" and stop judging others, especially if they do not KNOW the ones they are judging!

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 27, 2008 1:22 AM | Report abuse

Wow jack, you may have had a few points in there (balancing the deaths of celebrities against everyday people as basically the only one)but man did you come off like a SJK-hole....

And break it up with some paragraph breaks and some wit, your prose is like a sack of we flower.....

Posted by: chrislarry | November 27, 2008 1:32 AM | Report abuse

wet flower...

Posted by: chrislarry | November 27, 2008 1:33 AM | Report abuse

You kinda missed my point, I'm not saying it isn't sad or that it isn't a tragedy. I'm saying get some perspective. This was the death of Martin Luther King, or Jesus, or Ghandi, or Mother Teresa. This was the death of a football player that I didn't know but tell me what you would think about somebody who goes around spitting in people's faces, getting DUIs, getting arrested repeatedly, and assaults people with deadly weapons who didn't play football? That's not me judging the guy, those are facts of his life. Yeah when I was young I did some dumb things, they consisted of not paying enough attention in college cause I was having to much fun, they didn't consist of drunk driving, assault with a deadly weapon, or anything else I got arrested for and even with all that I'm not saying he was a terrible person. I'm saying I and majority of everyone else on here didn't even know the guy and to heap this kind of attention and adoration on him is ridiculous, leave that to the people that did actually know him and who were actually a part of his life, remember the things he did on the field don't be over dramatic about the rest of it and move on....like you do about every other tragedy in life that doesn't involve a football player.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 27, 2008 1:37 AM | Report abuse

sorry wasn't the death of MLK etc....

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 27, 2008 1:38 AM | Report abuse

and sorry for the lack of proper formatting, its late and it was stream of thought, maybe I'm insensitive, for the record I was on here the day he died, I said all the RIPs just like everybody else and the prays and thoughts with the family and all, I just find it ridiculous to be this overboard about the passing of Sean Taylor when 4000+ have died in Iraq, millions die of cancer and Aids, millions are aborted by the minute, and people on here are all broke up about a guy that died over a year ago that they didn't know personally but watched him play a kids game for a few years and get so over dramatic about it. IMO its sad and deserves being noted, it is does not deserve poems, worship, and life altering lengthy reflection by anybody other than his friends, family, and teammates.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 27, 2008 1:47 AM | Report abuse

Maybe I did misunderstand what you were trying to say, but it came out as judgment of how people should feel or not feel about something. OK, you don't feel like it should be more than it is. Others do and have expressed those feelings on this board. Should you have said what you did? My opinion is no. Would it have been to difficult to just ignore them and talk football instead?

Just because you have an opinion does not mean you have to express it.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 27, 2008 1:48 AM | Report abuse

and the "you don't have the right to judge you didn't know the guy" is so lame. We all judge everyday, judgment is what life is all about, some have good judgment some have bad, sometimes we're right about people and sometimes we're wrong. I didn't know ST and therefore I don't know if judging him as a thug was incorrect but based on his actions that I do know about, he isn't somebody I'd want my son hanging out on the weekend with and maybe that was changing and if so great but this kind of remembrance over that kind of life is overboard. I think that Chris Henry and Pacman are thugs, I think TO is insane, I think Don Imus is a racist redneck punk, I think Rush Limbaugh is racist and the guy that played Kramer on Seinfeld, and I think George Bush was the worst president ever, all of those are judgments and pretty widely accepted. Could they all be wrong? Sure....but just cause the guy's life was cut tragically short doesn't change the majority of evidence in his life and doesn't make him suddenly a saint worthy of this kind of celebration.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 27, 2008 2:29 AM | Report abuse

Sometimes Jack, we just need to put down the shovel...

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 27, 2008 2:40 AM | Report abuse

"Just because you have an opinion does not mean you have to express it."

good advice curz i have been trying to live by that a bit myself lately.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 27, 2008 2:51 AM | Report abuse

Tell me, then, if Larry Johnson for the Chiefs (just a name of the top of my head) was killed tomorrow would you be this saddened over it? He is a young pro bowl football player in the prime of his career with a family who has had some recent trouble with the law but nothing approaching the level of ST. Would you give him the same grace and forgiveness as ST? Would you even care? Would this time next year you be sad and composing poetry to him? Why is it any different then? is the answer just cause ST played for the Skins? or is it cause he just seemed like a nicer dude than other people? What impact on your life did ST have that warrants this kind of remembrance and angst? Did you know in three days its the anniversary of Evel Knievil's death how upset are you about that? I bet you a lot more people in this world know his name and saw him perform than ST so does that mean we should anoint him to sainthood?

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 27, 2008 2:57 AM | Report abuse

Jack, it is obvious that we need to agree to disagree on this.

I leave you and the RI hamsters with wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving!

HAIL!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 27, 2008 3:17 AM | Report abuse

Happy Thanksgiving Day from all UK Skins Nation! Still remembering #21, and HAIL! Have a good day everyone...

(PS anyone know this song? My fiancee from Virginia used to siung as a kid...

A turkey sat on a backyard fence and he sang this sad, sad tune. Thanksgiving day is coming gobble, gobble, gobble,gobble and I know I'll be eaten soon. Gobble, gobble, gobble,gobble,gobble,gobble I would like to run away. Gobble, gobble,gobble,gobble,gobble,gobble I don't like Thanksgiving day!)

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | November 27, 2008 3:22 AM | Report abuse