Zorn: Washington the Big Concern

Linebacker Marcus Washington is the big concern now, even though he has been struggling mightily this season. Washington has a high-ankle sprain, and will be out several weeks. (I asked Jim Zorn if we might see Jason Taylor in this linebacker spot more now, and he said no, which leaves H.B. Blades as the starter.)

Zorn said that RB Clinton Portis, ailing from a knee injury and various other bumps and bruises, is feeling better coming out of this game than he was entering last week, coming off the bye. Portis had to come out of the game a few times, as expected - "He did start to wear down a little bit," Zorn said - but Zorn believes Portis will be able to practice a bit this week ahead of the Seattle game.

Back-up tailback Ladell Betts aggravated his knee injury in the game, but "not so much that we think it's going to keep him out" of Sunday's game, Zorn said. Corner Shawn Springs, who was out again with a calf injury, is expected to play in Seattle, barring a setback. Springs was still not able to run fully Sunday night, and Zorn said there was some concern about whether Springs would be able to cover elite receivers after having been unable to sprint to that point or extend himself fully in practice.

Defensive tackle Anthony Montgomery remains "50-50" for Sunday's game, still trying to overcome an Achilles' injury.

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 17, 2008; 1:12 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Betts: No Setbacks
Next: Skins Are 'Treading Water,' Zorn Says

Comments

Posted by: jayandcat | November 17, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

IR for Washington Please and sign another receiver

Posted by: jayandcat | November 17, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

If Horton is the problem then we've got issues cause he's the only dude on the team you really can't complain about. Dudes done nothing but be a baller. Talk about a guy who plays full speed and lays his body on the line. He got beat on that one TD but made plenty of plays as well.

Posted by: Gweez | November 17, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Also add that his coverage wasn't bad.

Posted by: Gweez | November 17, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I looked him straight in the eye.... I said....

Youre NO concern, youre NO concern of miiinneee...

you walked out, you left us behiiinnddd...

and youre NO concern, youre NO concern of mine....

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 17, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Ok,

Who is ready to jump off a cliff? Let's see some hands.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 17, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

NOBODY on defense is the problem. Not Landry, not Horton, not Washington, not Jason Taylor. In 2 games this year, we've held Tony Romo-led Cowboys to 24 and 14 points respectively. You know what the Cowboys' 2 lowest scoring games of the season are with Tony Romo at QB? 14 and 24 points.

Our defense is nasty. They're holding up their end of the bargain. Once again, 3 of our losses have come when we let up 14, 16, and 19 points respectively.

Zorn needs to wake his offense up. And it starts with himself.

Posted by: spizzle | November 17, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I would jump, but I may get hurt.
I think I will sit this one out!

Yours Truly,
Shawn Springs

Posted by: Soup17 | November 17, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

By Jason La Canfora | November 17, 2008; 1:12 PM ET

Boy...if I haven't heard that the last 3 weeks. The only reason I think he might actually take his @ss out there this week is because he's playing his former team. Otherwise he'd be on the sidelines stealing money.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 17, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Ah, this is the RI I like - Where's Leigh Torrence when you really need him?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 17, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

We're loaded at CB and safety.

We'll need to reload the OL.

I think I might have started Heyer instead of Jansen, if the game plan was to pass so much.

(it probably wouldn't have mattered too much though)

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | November 17, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm with spizzle - the defense is deep enough that one or two starters out isn't a big problem. They are playing well enough to win.

Unless the offense picks up, the Skins aren't going anywhere.

Posted by: HighPlainsDrifter | November 17, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I agree the Defense has been playing solid. We really can't ask much of them now. You can't win a game by scoring 10 points. We suck on primetime scored 9,6,10 points on national TV. Embarrasing!!!
1. Protect the quarterback (Get Jansen out of there)
2. Be more creative with the offensive play calling. (beginning to think Zorn should give Sherman Smith the calls after all he was an offensive coordinator)

Posted by: AllHail | November 17, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I thought we would see more out of Jason Taylor last night. Sounded like he was the most healthy he has been since the preseason. All I saw was him engage the RT and not do much of anything. Any criticism of the defense really is nitpicking. I think Landry and Horton are both good players and it isn't really fair to compare them to Sean Taylor. No one will be replacing that guy. We are just missing an elite pass rusher. We need a Demarcus Ware/Dwight Freeney type that is always in the backfield creating havoc.

Posted by: JasonLaTempleton | November 17, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

The thought of seeing H.B. "Hambone" Blades chasing tight ends on their way to the end zone is not comforting.

Posted by: Pulldownclaw | November 17, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

"Zorn needs to wake his offense up. And it starts with himself."

Couldn't agree more.

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | November 17, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Ok,

Who is ready to jump off a cliff? Let's see some hands.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 17, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm not there yet, but this team most likely will need to go 4-2 down the streatch. With the way the O-line is playing, I'm not confident that they will do that.

Posted by: TWISI | November 17, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

spizzle -- absolutely nailed it with that post

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 17, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 17, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Here is the equation;

D line mediocre at best, and is saved by linebackers and secondary.
O line mediocre: run blocking ok, pass protection grade: FAIL
Since Moss is double teamed all the time, and there are no credible 2nd or 3rd receivers, and Cooley is helping Janson with blocking, our only offensive threat is Portis who walks on one and a half leg, and runs best behind Samuels who plays on one leg.

This leads to 8:8

Posted by: johnbear1 | November 17, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

GLOOM and motherloving DOOM on this blog today

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 17, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Nice call Spizz. I think our D will become an issue soon because it's got some old parts but for this year it's help up fine. Our O is digressing at an alarming rate.

Posted by: Gweez | November 17, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Hey Moss-
The next time JC throws a beautiful longball down field, hits you directly in the hands and you drop it, please do us all a favor and wipe that stupid ass smile off of your face before returning to the hudle!!

Posted by: Soup17 | November 17, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

"I'm not sure if any of you guys noticed, but Dallas just ran another sweep to the right sideline for another first down. These are still catching us off-guard one day later!

Hey Moss-

Posted by: Soup17"

there you go, it's definitely the fault of our best WR dropping ONE pass that would've been a pretty tough catch. Great insight, keep it up.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 17, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

On a lighter note, um....

Well, there's the McNabb thing.

Which really is pretty funny.

Shall we begin referring to him as Donovan McMENSA?

Posted by: freakzilla | November 17, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I don't get it. All these tough guys posting up here keep writing stuff like "I hope they let Moss heal before they play him. We need him too much to risk making it worse." "I hope they let Portis heal before they play him. We need him too much to risk making it worse."

But Shawn Springs? Everyone wants him to play with a torn calf muscle. Never mind if he can't cover a guy because of the injury. Put him out there on the field so he can injure it worse. Why let him heal when we can end his season this week?

Same in the past for Jason Taylor and Malcolm Kelly when they were injured. Only difference is that when they were injured, it was somehow Vinnie's fault.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 17, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

It wasn't the drop, but the reaction to the drop.

The ball hit him in his hands. Sure it would have been a tough catch, but isn't that why we pay him or is there an "easy catch only" clause in his multi-million dollar contract.

I guess I just did not see the humor in it all. My bad!

Posted by: Soup17 | November 17, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

GLOOM and motherloving DOOM on this blog today

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 17, 2008 1:59 PM

I can't speak for the others, but personally I'm really bummed about your going blind during the game until Wednesday. I think this is an epic tragedy, and my heart goes out to you and your family. I hope someone can read this to you.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 17, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Laron Landry needs to play his game,the D even without a pass rush is still good enough to win,Zorn needs to go back to the run to set up the pass that will keep the oppossing defense honest and mix it up a little but i think Zorn's hands are tied because we lack a wideout that makes a defense lose sleep the night before the game Moss is great but when they double him .......... Devin Thomas is not as good as he thinks he is,need a win in Seattle on Sunday!

Posted by: dargregmag | November 17, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game and bloggers on this post are missing the point that offensive line was manhandled by Dallas' front seven. I've never seen a NT push Thomas and Rabach back into the pocket on nearly every pass play. Campbell barely had time to even do dump offs and screens to Cooley or thrown the ball away...Samuels appeared to be the only one who held his own in pass protection. The Redskins line is old and it showed against Pittsburg and Dallas. As Zorn said, he had a lot of longer routes called but the protection wasn't there to try the throws. The missed FG in the 3rd quarter was the direct result of a sack on a third and 8.

On defense, the Skins front seven except Rocky, Golston, and Evans are all over 30. Griffin and Washington have been hurt and their play has declined for the last 3 years. Does it take a brick to hit Vinny in the head before he starts drafting some young defensive lineman and LB's so we can generate pressure? The trade for Taylor was hasty and he paid too much for a guy who had at most 2 years left in his career.

Two WR's and a TE in the 2nd round? A third rounder on an OL who hasn't played a down? A 4th rounder on a CB who will be cut if Hall is signed long-term. Vinny did nothing to strengthen the team in the offseason and we're looking at a team that will struggle to win more than another 3 games this year.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 17, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

If Moss wants people to believe he's the deep threat, then he has to come down with that ball. ARE is doing a decent job.

Thomas, Kelly or Davis have to show something if this team's going to come around.

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | November 17, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Shall we begin referring to him as Donovan McMENSA?

Posted by: freakzilla | November 17, 2008 2:05 PM |

He still looks like a McNabb to me, but not a Donovan. I was thinking Done-in McNabb. Even Peter King this morning wrote "he looks old."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 17, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Hilarious TE.

Springs is hurt and quite frankly he's the least of our worries with 3 solid guys backing him up. (Although he's a great player)

D seems to be ok although at this point JT seems to have been not worth the 2nd rounder. O is miserable, just miserable.

Posted by: Gweez | November 17, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

with ARE tweaked does that mean the D Hall might return punts?

Posted by: theFreshinAU | November 17, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

JLAC,
I think you neglected to insert the following statement into your injury report:

"The rest of the ailing Redskins - Chris Samuels and Santana Moss and the like - are all slated to play and made it through the game in decent shape." ALSO, JANSEN IS NOT HURT, HE JUST SUCKS!!

Posted by: Soup17 | November 17, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | November 17, 2008 2:11 PM

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 17, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

paging Stephon Heyer....

Posted by: theFreshinAU | November 17, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Quit all the cryin, and draft more black lineman. Afro american males are 80% stronger than there white counter part. White males have no rhythm, they can't dance and sure can't block.

Posted by: poolman1200000 | November 17, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

This team is going to be lucky to get to 9-7. They had to struggle to beat the Lions, lost to the Rams when they were winless, and cannot score on offense. The defense should have the offense clean their shoes or something. It's embarrassing!

And for those at the game, I'll bet it was awe inspiring to have those WHITE "Rally Rags" waving! It was like the fans were surrenduring for the offense! Of course, they supposedly gave out 50,000, and I saw maybe a tenth of that on TV.

Posted by: Leeguru | November 17, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

If teams didn't believe #89 was a deep threat, they wouldn't be doubling him all the time. He is the only real threat we have on the outside. ARE is a #3 slot WR. To pin the loss on Moss for not coming up with a very difficult catch is pretty weak. Imagine what this offense would be with just ARE, Devin Thomas and James Thrash. We'd be lucky to score any points with 9 guys in the box.

Posted by: JasonLaTempleton | November 17, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

with ARE tweaked does that mean the D Hall might return punts?

Posted by: theFreshinAU | November 17, 2008 2:13 PM

Why Hall? I'm sure they'll give him a look, but he's returned a total of 13 punts in five years in the league.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 17, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

poolman I dont get your humor, and I dont think I am alone. You might as well say we should start CB because he can through the ball and black QBs are only good at running

Posted by: theFreshinAU | November 17, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

poolman I dont get your humor, and I dont think I am alone. You might as well say we should start CB because he can throw the ball and black QBs are only good at running

Posted by: theFreshinAU | November 17, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 17, 2008 2:05 PM

Sorry TE, but I usually agree with you...not here though. Springs is a leader and one of the highest paid players on this team, but seems to be OK just sitting out games. JT had to be forced onto the table for life/career threatning surgery, CP played on one leg last night on an injury that usually takes a month to heal. But Springs can't go? I don't know the severity of his injury, but you have to admit that his whole "I refuse to train here in the offseason" bit costs him the benefit of the doubt (whether it's right or not).

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 17, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Leeguru | November 17, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

FYI--Snyder did not spend much money on those towels. He simply picked up all of the Steeler's yellow towels that they left behind,soaked them in clorox, tossed the Redskins logo on them and handed them out last night. All and all it was pretty profitable.

I hear they are going to hand out kneck ties for the Eagles game in honor of McNabb.

Posted by: Soup17 | November 17, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Reading this blog makes me relish living up in Vermont where I am not consumed with the all or nothing approach of skins nation in DC. You guys are so manic. One week we are the greatest the next it's over we're done. May I remind you if the season ended today we are still in the playoffs. We are what we are. A good football team with obvious flaws but what team outside of the Giants doesn't have flaws. We have played two games against the best defense in league and a desperate team trying to save their season. While I'll agree we have issues that need shoring up but we're still in good position. You guys need to remember the NFL season is a grind and everyone has it's up and down within a season. The key is stopping any losing streak from becoming prolonged and let's see what happens next before we pack it in for the season. Remember what was being said on this blog at the end of August. 4-12 at best, Zorn one and done, Cowher will be here next year. Now we're 6-4 with the inside track to the playoffs and you guys want to throw in the towel b/c we lost to two playoff caliber teams. Relax and let's see what happens. Here's a novel idea support your team instead of tearing them down every Monday. Skins baby Skins!

Posted by: jayandcat | November 17, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Because it'll come up based on how the lines played ...
9/22 starters are on the offense or defensive line. That's 41%

6/31 draft picks since 2004 have been on the lines. Thats 19%.

The 6 picks:
Rob Jackson, Chad Reinhart, Anthony Montgomery, Jim Molinaro, Kedric Golston and Kili Lotofu. Only Reinhart (3rd round) was picked before the 5th round.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 17, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 17, 2008 2:23 PM

You don't know the severity of his injury and I don't know it either. That's why I can't understand your accusations/assumptions that he's a loafer.

The Redskins have doctors who can judge this. We don't. They worked him out before the game and determined that he couldn't play. He has a torn calf muscle. Do you really want him to play if he's not fast enough to cover his man or if he risks injury? I don't, but you seem to.

As for where he trains in the off season, I don't understand what that has to do with his injury or "benefit of the doubt." He reported to camp in good physical condition and ready to play football.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 17, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: theFreshinAU | November 17, 2008 2:23 PM

Hey, fresh you're not going to get b/c your white. Look race does play a roll in the draft process, everyone in here will agree. White men can't play reciever,running back,corner. White men get dafted at LT,LG,RT and Rg for one reason. because there white. Its a crazy Unwritten rule that black men mentally can't learn the nfl basic blocking scheme. I won't go there on the black QB issue.

Posted by: poolman1200000 | November 17, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: CindyBoren | November 17, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

"But Springs can't go?"

People were saying the same thing about Moss last season when he "took off" from playing with his hammy tweak/strain/pull/tear. Muscle injuries are a lot different from ligament injuries. You simply can't play at full speed with a muscle injury. It won't happen. It will never happen. It's not something you can "tough out". Ligament injuries are another story, where you can deal with it as long as you feel stable and you can deal with the pain (although you're probably even more susceptible to serious injury with ligaments).

Everybody will jump back on Springs' bandwagon when he starts playing again. People were crapping on him because he missed the Giants game, but three weeks later were all over his *almonds* when he shut down Boldin and TO.

Posted by: spizzle | November 17, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Ocho Stinko warms up with Eagles' receivers

CINCINNATI - We're guessing Donovan McNabb might not be the one to get the heat from the fans this time.
Early in warmups for yesterday's game, according to Eagles Web site czar Dave Spadaro and radio analyst Mike Quick, Bengals receiver Ocho Cinco, nee Chad Johnson, jumped into the Eagles' pass receiving line.

He caught a slant from Donovan McNabb and then raised his face and arms to the heavens, presumably rejoicing in the opportunity to catch a pass thrown by his friend and offseason confidante, as Cinco told reporters in a midweek conference call. Then McNabb and Cinco hugged, calling to mind McNabb's postgame rites of friendship with Giants players afer last week's loss.

If I'm Bengals quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, I'm not real pleased with Senor Cinco. If I'm Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, I'm not real pleased with Senor Cinco. If I'm a Bengals fan . . . If I'm a Bengals fan, I think about relocating, but that's another story. *

- Les Bowen

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 17, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

"I think people will believe he's a deep threat if they throw him more than one deep ball a game."

True. I'd like to see more deep balls to everyone. This short dump-off nonsense should have left with Mark Brunell.

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | November 17, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

What a disapointmetn - how many years has it been since we've had a good pass rush and an offense that could score? (Gibss 1.0?). Many problems, few answers:

1. Zorn's play calling has been questionable in short-yardage/redzone situations - that strange pass on 4th and 4 last night made no sense, especially when the run was working. Similar to odd 4th down plays in Steelers game. Either these were bad calls or not executed properly by the offense, one or the other.

2. OL is pathetic. This was a known issue coming into this season, FO did nothing, we have to find a way to live with it for six more games (maybe seven). Shoring up the OL should be first pick priority in '09 draft.

3. DL is equally pathetic (again - a known issue). The non-existent pass rush hangs the secondary out to dry, eventually someone will get open. We desperately need a DE who weighs more than 250 lbs and can get pressure on the QB with some consistency. And a DT who could collapse the pocket once in a while would be nice, too.

4. WR unit needs work - jury still out on Thomas and Kelly, so a viable first or second "West Coast" receiver is still a glaring need.

5. LB unit is solid, but we obviously need a good SLB to replace Washington - personally, I see Blades are more of a replacement for London at the MLB position. There are some good SLB prospects in the early rounds of the draft, I doubt we will be able to break the bank on FA contract for an LB(Karlos Dansby is the top FA LB in the coming off-season).

6. Special teams - a punt returner would nice, there has to be a street FA floating around, right? Cut SA and bring in someone to return punts. Rock is solid as a KR, I don't see why so many folks are down on him in that area.

7. Cuts - sounds like Springs, Washington, and Jansen could and should all be cut this offseason based on cap hits. Can't purge the whole bunch in one offseason for cap reasons so others are safe for now - Taylor and Kendall should both be gone after their contracts expire following next season, which leaves Carter and Griffin as cap casualties for the following year as we try to get younger and stronger on DL.

Posted by: PDXskin | November 17, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 17, 2008 2:33 PM

There's something to be said for being here with the team in the off-season. I'm pretty sure coaches wouldn't stress it if it weren't so. And I never said Springs is a "loafer", I only said that it SEEMS that he's not willing to play in pain like CP and JT have shown. I, for one, think that he should be put on IR and released next year because he's nowhere near worth what he's being paid. If he can go this week and be fine the rest of the year, then let's roll with him. But if he's tying up a roster spot and not playing we could use an active body elsewhere.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 17, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

After giving away a #2 on an aging, 34-yr. old DE who's past him prime, we only have a first and third next year (think the 4th was traded for Kendall). Need to cut loose some of the aging vets like Jansen, Washington, Griffin, and not re-sign Springs to free up some money for FA's. Need to ride out remaining year of contracts for Taylor and Kendall.

Snyder better have Redskins One fueled up and ready to head out to pick up some FA's and some money set aside to sign Hall long term if he plays at the level he did last night. Lots of holes to fill and not many draft picks mean FA's need to be signed.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 17, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Why can't you people see that its not just your horrid o-line but cambell is not that good, he holds the ball to long and makes bad decisions. I see you losing in seattle! He needs a good running game which was working in the beginning of the season, it ran its course and he is not good enough to win on his own.

Posted by: Dfan | November 17, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

4th and 4 and JC can only find Moss 2 yds deep and tries to throw to him with T Newman all over him. He's got to be better than that.

Should have never been there. #11 drops the slant in for a 1st down.

The D-line could not sack groceries!

Posted by: skinslaw1 | November 17, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse