Zorn on Injuries and Rookies

Jim Zorn spent a lot of time talking about injuries and the rookie class after practice today.

He said he is enthused by the progress of tackle Chris Samuels and WR Santana Moss and expects both to play, as well as the rest of the walking wounded (with the exception of Jason Taylor, Ladell Betts and Shawn Springs, who are out). Rock Cartwright and Pete Kendall returned to practice today and Zorn said that top corner Carlos Rogers is still limping a bit from a heel injury, but he, too, is slated to play.

Zorn is telling the team's rookies - nine players now - to rest up because most of them are spent (including preseason, this has already been longer than the college season). It's natural for them to hit the wall, Zorn said, but they have to push through.

Malcolm Kelly's knee will keep him out through the bye, but Zorn praised Devin Thomas for running after the catch on his one reception Sunday and said that Fred Davis has "been getting more and more inovled" in the offense.

As for the team's red zone struggles - an area where Thomas and Kelly and even Davis were expected to help out - Zorn said: "I'm not alarmed, but I know where we have to push."

Zorn also tipped his cap to the league for giving the Redskins a home Monday night game on the eve of the election. "Roger Goodell set it up very well, to say the least," Zorn said.

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 30, 2008; 3:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Final Post on Big Ben, Promise
Next: The Rock Cartwright Special Teams Report

Comments

first?

Posted by: readtheinsiderallday | October 30, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Hail! First?

Posted by: TeeSkins | October 30, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Got corkzar'd again. Reposting from previous big ben discussion:

The way I look at the Big Ben situation is this:

Is he a better passer than Brees or Warner or McNabb or Romo or Manning? No, he isn't better.

So, why would he be able to beat our secondary consistently when none of the above have this season? Aside from being hard to tackle (which shouldn't make a difference since the Skins rarely touch the QB anyway), what does he possess that those other QBs don't?

Nothing. He'll be throwing against the same stingy secondary that all of the other QBs that have faced the Redskins this year have had to deal with.

Posted by: -swb | October 30, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

first?

Posted by: readtheinsiderallday | October 30, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I doubt I'm FIRST...

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 30, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Here's to Monday night - and FIRST place. After the 'boys beat the Gints.

Posted by: outsider6 | October 30, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

LEBRON JAMES TO THE BOBCATS IN 2010!?!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 30, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, but what was the FIRST thing that Zorn said about Tryon? That's what we want to know FIRST.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 30, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Pretty obvious you hate injuries, Jasno.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | October 30, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Go SKINS GO

Posted by: alex35332 | October 30, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

That's how you stay medium......

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 30, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Wow, a perfect opportunity to take a shot at the rookies and you passed it up! Nice job JLC!

Very good post, thank you.

I do think Zorn has a good handle on this type of stuff, being an X player, and just a lowly assistant just last year, he knows what the players are going through. And I have faith he knows how to get this done.

Posted by: craig2 | October 30, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I quite like our chances for a few pix this week.

I'm not sure we'll win, but I could see one or two the way Benny slings it around...

....I don't waaaaaaannnt a pickle!
...I just wanna ride my moooootor cy
...cle.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 30, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

CAN ANYONE CONFIRM OR DENY THIS PLEASE!?!
Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 30, 2008 4:05 PM

Yeah, I just called him and asked.....he wants out. You see he and I are tight. I DRIVE A DODGE STRATUS! BIG TIME STUFF!!!!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 30, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

LeBron is smart enough to avoid the Bobcats, they will be folding or moving by 2010 anyway.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 30, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Deny

Lebron James to the Harlem Globetrotters

Posted by: GreatOne1 | October 30, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

CAN ANYONE CONFIRM OR DENY THIS PLEASE!?!
Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 30, 2008 4:05 PM

The only thing I can confirm from this post is that you sir are indeed a chooch. Good day.

Posted by: Gweez | October 30, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

no props for the fensler film reference?

...tough crowd.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 30, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | October 30, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Dik, thanks for the Arlo reference. That really picked me up after a grueling w**k meeting.

"it's been about twelve years now that I been singin' this dumb song... you know it's amazing that anybody could get away with singin' a song this dumb for that long... but you know what's even more amazin'... that someone could make a livin' singing' a song this dumb... but that's America..."

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 30, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 30, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

4:27pm

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 30, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

no props for the fensler film reference?

...tough crowd.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 30, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

CAN ANYONE THAT DOES NOT DRIVE A DODGE STRATUS CONFIRM OR DENY THAT LEBRON JAMES IS INTERESTED IN GOING TO THE CHARLOTTE BOBCATS IN 2010!?!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 30, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

CAN ANYONE CONFIRM THAT LEBRON JAMES WANTS OUT OF CLEVELAND IN 2010 WHEN HIS CONTRACT IS UP AND RUMOR HAS IT FROM A GOOD SOURCE THAT LEBRON JAMES WILL BE HEADED TO THE CHARLOTTE BOBCATS CAN ANYONE CONFIRM OR DENY THIS PLEASE!?!
Posted by: TheTruth11
------------------------------

Deny. It is unlikly Lebron stays in Cleveland because...well, it's Cleveland. He wants to win championships and won't likely do that in Cleveland.

The rumor I have heard is that Lebron ends up with the NJ Nets based on his friendship with Jay-Z who is a part owner in the Nets. Makes sense since Vince Carter will be retired by then.

The Bobcats are more of a disaster with MJ than the Wizards were.

Posted by: isnadd | October 30, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | October 30, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

4:27pm

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 30, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

From the Redskins Blog, some good stuff about the Rooks...:

Fred Davis keeps making notable practice plays, today finding a hole in the defense on one occasion, and making a nice adjustment to catch a lame duck underthrow on a second. I keep talking about how strong he looks in practice, and it’s not just me. Coach Zorn was asked about the rookie class after practice today, and after praising Chris Horton, he said “Fred is doing just as well. He just hasn’t had the opportunities — he’s got Chris Cooley in front of him.” And, later, “he has not said a word, just worked hard and looked great on the show team.” At some point, albeit maybe not this year, Fred Davis will impress.

Jason Campbell got to uncork a few long passes today, hitting Devin Thomas on one and underthrowing him on another. Thomas, bizarrely, was playing with a hooded sweatshirt underneath his jersey and the hood flapping in the wind as he ran. It looked uncomfortable to me, but he seemed to be moving around fine. “Devin Thomas is starting to play faster as well,” Zorn said, also praising Thomas for his effort after the catch on his one catch in the Detroit game.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 30, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

tyvm Nate - missed your post! srry!

Anyone 40 sumthin' - try this out:

It's NOT Rick Astley...

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 30, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

4:41pm

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 30, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Dik, I missed whatever Fensler film reference you mean. I think you also said something about "firestein" yesterday which I also didn't get.

I am slow.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 30, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Hey Kid!

...I'm a computer!

....Stop all the downloadin!!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 30, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

BOBCATS TAKE IT TO THEIR FUTURE LEADER TONIGHT WITH A BIG WIN OVER THE CLEVELAND LEBRONS

88-80 NOTCATS!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 30, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

thanks for the post beantown greg...can u continue to post that stuff...i love reading stuff like that..

Posted by: jasonma1 | October 30, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

M'bad, Nate - I'm full of bad comedy and internet memes... I tend to foist them off on people thinking they'll know what I'm talking about...

.... I barely know what I'm talking about, why would they.?

Kudos for the Arlo catch tho! I forgot it was originally from that! :)

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 30, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I think this would be a good team to get Davis more involved, one of Cooley's TE screens to Davis, he's got a bit more speed than Cooley, and you know the Steelers won't be looking for it.

This is a good defense to hit with those types of plays on, screens just in front of those attacking LBs, and your gone.

Posted by: craig2 | October 30, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

.... I barely know what I'm talking about, why would they.?

Kudos for the Arlo catch tho! I forgot it was originally from that! :)

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 30, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Gosh, I love all those obscure references... US America sure is a great country.

Steer clear of pickles and like such as.

Hail, baby hail.
Hail, baby hail.
Hail, baby hail.

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | October 30, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jasonma1 | October 30, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

The Bobcats are more of a disaster with MJ than the Wizards were.

Posted by: isnadd | October 30, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Uh, Isn't Vince already retired? Oh thats right, he just sucks

Posted by: MadDog20201 | October 30, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: craig2 | October 30, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

.... I barely know what I'm talking about, why would they.?

Kudos for the Arlo catch tho! I forgot it was originally from that! :)

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 30, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Steer clear of pickles and like such as.

Hail, baby hail.
Hail, baby hail.
Hail, baby hail.

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | October 30, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Steer clear of pickles and like such as.

Hail, baby hail.
Hail, baby hail.
Hail, baby hail.

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | October 30, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

And herein lies the problem; that situation ("he's got Chris Cooley in front of him") isn't changing anytime soon. Maybe it's time for Zorn to implement more Cooley + Davis packages into the game. Maybe having Cooley lined up as the FB with Davis lined up as the TE? And please, no TE endarounds.

Posted by: spizzle | October 30, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: spizzle | October 30, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Boo! Happy Halloween folks!

Posted by: kost52 | October 30, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I think the Steelers want to slap the Skins around on MNF just to make up for the Giants game but it ain't gonna happen.I read an earlier post suggesting Moss sit this one out and be ready for the stretch run that might not be a bad idea except the "Wonder Twins" (Thomas and Kelly) are not ready for prime time and just a thought Cooley needs to stop trying to break a tackle protect the ball we need to play error free football on Monday.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 30, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Boo! Happy Halloween folks!

Posted by: kost52 | October 30, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Maybe WaPo is trying to chase us all away with this crappy blog software?

It sure is funny how many of us just stop bothering to post when it gets bad like this.

Clicking "submit" at 7:12pm