Joe Bugel's Daughter Dies

Holly Bugel, the 35-year-old daughter of offensive line coach Joe Bugel, has died.

"She passed this morning and our hearts and prayers go out to Joe and his family," said Daniel Snyder, who told reporters of her death. "He will be leaving shortly here from Redskins Park to fly out to Arizona. We just want to wish them the best."

Holly Bugel, the second of the Bugels' three daughters, had battled osteosarcoma, a rare and aggressive form of bone cancer since last December. Nearly 1,000 people had a similar form of bone cancer in 2007, according to the American Cancer Society. But the strain Holly was infected with is rare, with just five cases had been diagnosed last year, the Bugels said.

"It's a strong one," Brenda recently told Mike Wise. "We do need to sit down with the doctor and ask about the future. At some point, you run out of options and can't treat it anymore. But right now, we're fighting it with all we got."

By Cindy Boren  |  August 21, 2008; 12:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Snyder Statement on Upshaw
Next: A Somber Day at Redskins Park

Comments

A sad day turns tragic for Skins fans. Thoughts and prayers to Coach Bugel and his family.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 21, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

My condolences to the Bugel family. I can't imagine the pain of losing a child.

Posted by: iCowboyFan | August 21, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Damn, this is not a good day. My best to the Bugel family and the Redskins.

I really hope that the whole "deaths come in 3s" thing doesn't come to fruition...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 21, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Hang tough Joe - All of Washington's thoughts and prayers are with you

Posted by: John D In Houston | August 21, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

My condolences to the family. Take all the time you need Buges. Will be alright till you come back!

Posted by: 4th | August 21, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Weirdness. So sorry for the Bugel's loss

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 21, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Ouch, how old was she?

Doesn't matter, must be too young if her father has to bury her.

Posted by: The Truth | August 21, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

So very sad. I can't imagine the pain that must be involved in losing a child. I wish his family the best in this tough time.

Posted by: Skinz | August 21, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

God bless you, Coach. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Posted by: RW Skins | August 21, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 21, 2008 12:39 PM

Well Add B.Mack and Isaac Hays to the list and we have 4 now.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 21, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Very sad for Gene Upshaw. Wow, being diagnosed on a Sunday and dying that week. Brings a heavy reality to the old question of, "What would you do if you only had a week to live?"

My friend's dad faced that same question. His answer: "Eat as much KFC fried chicken as I possibly can." He died within 5 days of being similarly diagnosed, but he died with his beloved Buttermilk Biscuit in hand and surrounded by his loved ones.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 21, 2008 12:26 PM

You know Diddy--my dad would do the exact same thing. In fact, I'm pretty sure he's TRYING to die with greasy chicken in his gullet.

But the overall sentiment is correct. Often times we all take our lives and everything in our lives for granted. We should all live life to the fullest and live like we're on borrowed time. I'm sure it would be amazing how much more we'd enjoy life with that approach.

OK, that's enough...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 21, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts and prayers are with the Bugel family. Tragic loss.

Posted by: Steve K | August 21, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Buges, the entire Redskins Nation has you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

Posted by: OG Barno | August 21, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

My heart goes out to the entire Bugel family and anyone who called Holly a friend.

Posted by: [cc] | August 21, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Holly Bugel was 35.

Posted by: Cindy | August 21, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

My father passed at age 35 from cancer... with two days notice. It can be swift or it can be slow, either way, it is always cruel.

Heavy hearts and prayers to Coach Bugel and his entire family. Holly Bugel, taken too soon.

Posted by: BS44 | August 21, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

My condolences to coach Bugel and his family; prayers go out to all.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 21, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Sad day for Redskins Nation. My prayers will be with the Bugel family. Sad to lose a child. At least she's not suffering anymore. One of the characteristics of bone cancer is extreme pain.

Posted by: Karen | August 21, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Just finished reading the Wise article in the link. Too much. Have to log out for a while. Thoughts and prayers for the Bugels.

Posted by: dcsween | August 21, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Re: 3s

(Political Analyst)
1. Russert
2. Snow
3. Novack (maybe)

(Black Actors)
1. Bernie Mac
2. Issac HAyes
3. Dude from Last Dragon (Sho 'Nuff)

Posted by: Anonymous | August 21, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts and condolences to Coach Bugel and his family.
I've yet to lose someone that I truly love so I can't even begin to imagine what they are going through. Too much sad and tragic news for today already.

Posted by: BCBarney | August 21, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

What a terrible, sad day. Not much left to say, is there?

Posted by: P Diddy | August 21, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Coach,

As I sit here at work, looking at the photos of my children on my desk, I try and understand the place you are in at this moment.

No words can ease the pain of your loss, but I must say that my most sincere and heartfelt condolences go out to you and your family. I pray you find peace during this time.

Posted by: BoltsFan | August 21, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, this is a tough day.

So happy that the Bugel family had some time to be with Holly before she passed. Maybe that will give them a tiny bit of comfort as they grieve. Awful news, though, awful news.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 21, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts and prayers out to Joe Bugel and his family.

Posted by: jm220 | August 21, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 21, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

It's a dreary day here in Georgia, kinda fitting I guess.

I was lucky, my mom and grandmother both got diagnosed with cancer within weeks of each other and both survived. I wish everybody had that kinda luck!

Posted by: The Truth | August 21, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

God Bless You Joe and your family. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 21, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

So is Zorn canceled practice after all this?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 21, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Truth, hope all's well for you and any of our other peeps on the north Florida/Georgia coast today... this Fay is an amazing storm, completely weird behavior, but it's dumping some serious water down there...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 21, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

prayers for the families of both bugel and upshaw.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | August 21, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

What a terrible day for football fans and esecially Redskin fans. What can you say to someone who loses a child? When my in-laws lost their son two years ago, there were no words to help ease their pain. All we can do is pray and support them in any way possible.

The thoughts and prayers from my family to your family Coach Bugel.

Posted by: donj1963 | August 21, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

We love you Buges. Hang tough. You have the hearts and prayers of all Skins fans with you.

Posted by: Everyone | August 21, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Cindy

Mike Wise link above not working. Thanks.

Posted by: RambleOn | August 21, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Just fixed it.

Posted by: cindy | August 21, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

So sorry to hear this terrible news. Thinking of you and your family today, Coach Bugel.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 21, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

The hamsters are not happy today. No parent should have to outlive their child. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, coach.

Posted by: Choowee | August 21, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Feeling sad for the Bugel family. I read the Wise article a few days ago, and her cancer was dreadful scarey. I'm afraid even to look it up on the web.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 21, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

So sorry to hear about your loss. Our family extends our condolences to yours.

Posted by: slang | August 21, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

So sorry to hear of this loss. Thoughts and prayers are with the Bugel family.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | August 21, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

This is terrible. My heart is out to the Bugel family, his extended Redskins family, and especially that were close to Holly.

I know 'Skins Nation will be there for Buges. Hail!

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | August 21, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

My heart goes out to Buges and his family.

In situations like these is where Snyder shows his best side. He has a long record of being generous to players and coaches in times of need (chartering 2 747s for Sean Taylor's funeral, flying Todd Collins to Massachusetts for the birth of his kid, flying Robert Royal's family out of New Orleans before Katrina, etc.).

Posted by: sad fan | August 21, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Very sad news today.

My prayers to the Upshaw family.

My prayers to the Bugel family.

I'm glad Joe spent a few days in Arizona just recently, hopefully it was comforting to both Holly and himself.

As great as life is, it can be cruel at times - I'm sure Joe Bugel will find the positve and focus on this. Love and respect to Joe Bugel. (and his family)

Posted by: rando | August 21, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Very, very sad. Glad buges got to spend some time with her last week.

Posted by: wrongdog | August 21, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Buges is one of my all time favorite people in pro football....stay strong Bugels, my heart aches for your family!

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 21, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Sad day. Heaven just got another angel richer. Let the O-Line dedicate the season to Buges' daughter and rule the line of scrimmage in the trenches.

Posted by: Gregskins | August 21, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

My heartfelt condolences go out to the entire Bugel family. I empathize with your loss. I am very saddened to see someone who has brought so much joy to my heart, lose someone who has brought so much joy to their heart. My deepest sympathies.

Posted by: Jabaker | August 21, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

How very sad and tragic. My prayers go out to the Bugel family.

Love you Buges!

Posted by: Lisa | August 21, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts, and my Prayers go to Joe, his wife, and their family over this loss.

From the other paper:

"Redskins owner Dan Snyder, who has provided his plane for Bugel's transportation, said, "We've had a loss in the Redskins' family. Our hearts, prayers go out to Joe and his family."

Offensive tackle Jon Jansen, along with guard Randy Thomas and tackle Chris Samuels, the linemen who have been with Bugel the longest, said that Zorn came into the position meeting this morning to get Bugel to come to the phone to talk to his wife. Bugel then returned and told his players.

"He came back in and just told us, 'Hey, love your kids. You never know what's going to happen, ' " Jansen said. "We just [told] him that we love him.

Posted by: Greg | August 21, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

My prayers go out to the Bugel family. I can't imagine the pain they're going through right now.

Posted by: Stew' | August 21, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Bad day all the way around.

Deepest sympathy to Mr Bugel and his family.

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 21, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

So sad. Thoughts and prayers with you and yours, Buges.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 21, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I am so sad to hear about this. I was fortunate to know Holly back in High School at Oakton High. She was a beautiful person and always had a smile on her face. I have thouht about her many times over the years after they moved to Arizona.
My deepest condolences to the entire Bugel Family.

Posted by: Michelle | August 21, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Posted by: Skip in VA | August 21, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Condolences to the Bugel family. So very sad for this to happen. Will be saying a prayer for Holly and her family.

Posted by: Bazz | August 21, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Bugel family and the NFL for losing two of its' dear members in the same day.

Posted by: akaman | August 21, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

My condolences to the Bugel family. I can’t begin to imagine the pain of losing a child. Very sad indeed.

Posted by: skinswest | August 21, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Once we reach our young adult years, we realize "I am going to have to bury my parents one of these days".

Imagine the pain, sorrow and grief of having to bury your own child!

Pray for Joe Bugel.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 21, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm so sorry to hear of her passing. She looked like a beautiful girl. My thoughts are with the Bugel family. Be strong for your other family members.

Posted by: Scott Hodgkins | August 21, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts and prayers to the Bugel Family. So sorry for your loss.

Posted by: Brien | August 21, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Not much to say when you lose a loved one. I'm very sorry and my prayers are with you and your family Buge.

Posted by: Mike Morgan | August 21, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

What a great father, what a great coach, what a great mentor, what a great team leader! We as your daughter have all been blessed by knowing you Buges, as our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family!

Posted by: Joe B | August 21, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

My deepest sympathy, thoughts and prayers go out to Coach Buges and his family. I think I speak for the entire Redskins Nation when I say we have all lost something today. Best Wishes Buges.

Posted by: JP | August 21, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

My sincere condolances go to Coach Bugel and his family. What a sad, sad day. I am so sorry for you.

Posted by: Elliot Itkin | August 21, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts and prayers go out to you Coach and your whole family and friends.

Posted by: Brad Flowers | August 21, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

my thoughts and prayers go to you and your family Coach Bugel

may your daughter finally be at rest

Posted by: G20 FdaCowboys | August 21, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

May she rest in peace with no pain. Our prayers are with you and yours.

We lost my sister at the early age of 44 a few years ago. It was so hard to imagine getting through it...here one day and gone the next with no warning. It took a year to see my parent's smile again. Not a single day goes by when we don't think about her. Our loss was heaven's gain to be sure but you can never ever forget. I hope not anyway.

Posted by: tjs | August 21, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Another sad day for the Redskins organization.

My deepest condolences go out to Joe and his family.

Posted by: Gary | August 21, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

This is a very somber day for the Bugel family and the Redskins Faithful. Our hearts go out to your family Joe.

Posted by: Ernest | August 21, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

My heart goes out to the Bugel family.

Posted by: NotASkinsFan | August 21, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

My heart is heavy for the Bugels family. May God keep you all in his care. A DC transplant to Texas and Diehard redskin.

Posted by: Ray H | August 21, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Joe remember the Lord loves you and Holly is in a better place and one day you will see her again.

Posted by: Scott | August 21, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts and prayers are with you Buges.

Posted by: Miles | August 21, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Went to high school with Holly. She was an incredible person. It's been 18 years since I've seen her, but I still have that image in my mind of her kind beautiful smile and down to earth bubbly personality. God bless her and her family.

Posted by: Joel | August 21, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

My family and I love the Skins to death! Sorry for your loss, Buges! She's comfortable and in peace now!

Posted by: Del | August 21, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

God Bless the Bugel Family.
This is such a hard thing to go through. I can't imagine what you are facing right now.

God Bless you!
Don't worry, Holly is now with God and she feels no pain [:

Posted by: Elly | August 21, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Of all the things I wish I could say, of all the sympathy I wish I could offer, of all the sadness I wish I could avert: There's no comfort in a time such as this. There's no acceptance of such a horribly untimely loss. My thoughts are with you and your family, Coach. I wish anything I did or thought or said could even approach the support your family deserves, but I, and we as fans, offer our prayers, our thoughts, and our supprt for you and your family.
With Love,
Your Fans the World Over.

Posted by: Brazil | August 21, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

I knew and cheered with Holly at Oakton High School. She was always upbeat, smiling, and never a mean word out of her mouth. I am saddened to hear of her passing. I will always have fond memories of such a special person who touched so many lives, maybe without even knowing. My thoughts and prayers to the Bugel family

Posted by: Trish | August 22, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Joe, you and your family are in our hearts and prayers. We can't imagine what you're going through. How does one ever get over the loss of a child, don't think you ever do.

May you and your wife, and your other two daughters be blessed with happy memories of Holly, and keep each other strong.

Fondest regards,