Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 12/ 3/2010

Rookie Terrence Austin gets his chance

By Barry Svrluga

Two weeks ago, rookie receiver Terrence Austin made the trip with the Redskins to Tennessee, and he thought for sure he would be called up off the practice squad and activated for his first NFL game.

That didn't happen, but Austin only had to wait seven more days. Last Saturday, the Redskins cut veteran Joey Galloway and signed Austin to the 53-man roster, a move Coach Mike Shanahan and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan said was made as much for Austin's versatility on special teams (which Galloway did not play) as it was for his ability as a receiver.

In last Sunday's 17-13 loss to Minnesota, Austin appeared in the offense as a receiver, and said he was comfortable. He did not end up with a catch, but he believes that will change soon.

"I'm used to getting out there playing," Austin said. "I think that I lost all my nerves in preseason. It was more of me being anxious to get out there more than anything."

Given the Redskins' dearth of offensive weapons -- only receiver Santana Moss and tight end Chris Cooley are averaging as many as three catches a game -- Austin figures he'll get more opportunities as a wideout. Second-year receiver Anthony Armstrong has 25 catches, but the two remaining wideouts on the roster -- veteran Roydell Williams and rookie Brandon Banks -- have combined for only six catches all year. Galloway had 12 catches before he was cut.

For the first time, the seventh-round pick from UCLA has spent this week of practice knowing he is likely to play Sunday against the Giants. His time on the practice squad, he said, was difficult but worth it.

"It was hard, but it's really all about just focusing on just trying to make the team better," Austin said. "That was my focus, and at the same time I was trying to better myself."

To do that, Austin would watch the Redskins on television, "sitting back and analyze the game," he said. He paid special attention to where Moss - Austin's favorite receiver as a kid, going back to Moss's time at the University of Miami -- lined up and how he reacted to coverages.

"I would watch the game, and I would know beforehand what we were getting ready to do," Austin said. "I would just look at what the defense is doing, and kind of think, 'What would I do if I was Santana right here? What kind of route would I run or how would I run it?' And it just helped me, because it gave me some tools that I may need to use in the future."

By Barry Svrluga  | December 3, 2010; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Joey Galloway, Terrence Austin, wide receivers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kyle Shanahan says rushing struggles are "huge factor"
Next: Shanahan: LaRon Landry, Carlos Rogers out vs. Giants

Comments

Let the kid return a kick or two Sunday. Maybe get him some action on a reverse? I watch a lot of Pac 10 football and he's a guy that has some skills. I don't know if he'll ever be more than a slot type guy, but now's the time to throw him in the fire so to speak.

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 3, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

scamp, I think a lot of it does fall on Kyle...there seems to be a lack of adjustments to what the defense is doing last weeks game is a prime example, they came out in the first drive and looked as good as they have all year, after that, look like the crap that we've come to expect from this team....now either the defense changed to stop what they were doing, or he changed the playcalling, but either way, none of what they did worked from then on......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2010 10:41 AM |

I'm not saying it's ALL on the players Bean. Certainly there is enough blame to go around. But it's hard to make adjustments when your line, running backs, and certain WR's show that they don't know what the hell they're doing.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 3, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Good luck Terrence...going to be chilly with gusty winds on sunday...the passes are going to do some funny things up there...I don't see a whole lot of passing unless we fall way behind.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Ward sucks and has a history of injuries, we'd be better off getting Bush from the Raiders. And we had a chance to pick up Merriman when the 'Bolts let him go but Buffalo was the only team that picked him up.

We need to go after REAL FA's like:
Jackson WR
Holmes WR
Bush RB
Harrison RB
Mankins G
Dahl G
Ellis DE
Ngata NT
Houston CB
Bailey CB
Woodley LB

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I floated the MIchael Bush idea before the season started. He's younger than Ward, but there's nothing about his career that indicates he's head/shoulders better than Ward - at least Ward has shown he can be a 1000 yard back in the league. Bush, BTW, also had an injury history.

VJax - been over that with a fine-tooth comb. The price needs to be right. He's overrated IMO.

Holmes - Will re-up with NYJ. He's emerged as their top wideout.

Bush - see above

Jerome Harrison - Wait, he counts as a "real" FA, but Derrick Ward doesn't??

Mankins - Will kiss and make-up with Pats.

Dahl - no comment, does he fit zone-blocking?

Ellis - GIve him a look, but price needs to be right. He's 33 and he gets nicked up alot.

Ngata - WOuldn't mind spending money on him. Need NT to make this defense work and Maake is NOT the answer.

Houston - Will prob re-up w/ Lions

Bailey - interesting b/c of ties to Shanny, but he's not a Snyder fan and wanted to leave DC...not sure why he'd want to return at this point. WOuldn't pay him alot.

Woodley - Would love to bring him in, but he'll cost $$.

Posted by: p1funk | December 3, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

"What would I do if I was Santana right here? What kind of route would I run or how would I run it?"

You would run a flawless route, make a sly move to get open, and then either make a terrific catch or let the ball bounce off your head and into the hands of a defender.

Posted by: NYPDee | December 3, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

"Not getting the running game going is a huge factor," Shanahan said Thursday at Redskins Park. "We felt good about it in the first half. Going against that defense, if anyone has played them in the last five years, they are pretty stout against the run. But you've definitely got to keep them off balance.

Kyle Shananhan

How to gain more possessions on offense

Stabalize the Oline. Gotta be able to it's fair share of wins v the opponents front 7. Specifically it seems to me that the center positions has the most need of improvement.

Find possesion WR. Cooley is the only consistent 3rd down option for the skins. Gotta find another option, preferably at the WR spot. Usually a big WR fills this role, but as the giants have shown a guy like Steve Smith (maybe Mr. Austin)will do

Get NT. Gotta control the run game of the opponent. In the 3-4 that falss on the NT generally.

Get compliment(s) to Rack. The Skins will do well to be able to put pressure on QBs just with 4 rushers in general. In this 3/4 the OLB are the pass rushers. Gotta get an OLB that is a beast as an outside rusher. AC as a designated pass rushing DE is fine. IF AH stays next year and rushes from a DE spot in nickle that's fine, but that second OLB to rush is needed on first and second downs.

Posted by: TWISI | December 3, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I don't see a whole lot of passing unless we fall way behind.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 11:15 AM

I definitely see a lot of passes, mostly screens and checkdowns, because our running game is beyond suspect.

I'd bet on over 40 passes on Sunday.

Posted by: Alan4 | December 3, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

pfunk, nobody's gonna give Merriman anything more than that so he'll have options so long as he's not delusional about what his market value is.

Agree to disagree on Ward...he's definitely better than what we have, just sayin' that A) he doesn't fit the mold of us getting younger and B) he just got cut by Tampa in favor of a undrafted rookie (even though Blount is a beast). I wouldn't be mad if we got him but I wouldn't be ecstatic either.

Greg, I'm not sure what you were expecting from this offense...they have no line, a QB learning a new offense for the first time in a dozen years and they've had to throw undrafted slappies onto the field at RB. I'm not sure what part of that equation leads you to believe this team is capable of anything beyond what you've seen, regardless of how the Shanahans have looked in the past...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 3, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | December 3, 2010 11:25 AM

Right...I mean passing...not screens and checkdowns in lieu of run plays. If its as windy and gusty as forecast...there will be very few passes over 10-15 yards.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NYPDee | December 3, 2010 11:22 AM

Funny...and true.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Regharding REDSKIN running woes....

EXCERPT from Column: “Can Redskins Win Out?"

"THE RUNNING BACKS: The Geezers Three Shanahan put his hopes on last Summer are gone. Too Slow Johnson and Fast Eddie Whatsisface are stocking shelves at WalMart, and Clinton Portis refuses to accept collect calls from his body-- which is trying to tell him to retire. Ryan Torain is one of those guys who will impress you until he’s hurt, but he gets hurt boarding the bus to the stadium. When you have to check the Team Roster to see who else is left, you know there’s little hope. There’s Keiland Williams and um… Okay, I’ll check: Oh Lord, it’s worse than I thought. According to the Redskins website, they have Andre Brown, James Davis and Kenny Chesney ready to go. Say what? Really? I did not know that. Scratch Chesney. He’s got a hammie. No? Oh wait, he’s playing a concert at FedEx."

Posted by: TheCork | December 3, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Well it's a pipe dream but I'll tell you right now- The 2 players we need off the above list are Ngata and Mankins.

If somehow we pulled that off- in between half the fan base and all of the media saying it same old same old Snyder- We'd really have something cooking. That would let us go into the draft looking a lot better- maybe going with O Line and 3/4 LB or DE in rd 1/2.

At that point we'd have every right to think Playoffs next year.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 3, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Woodley - Would love to bring him in, but he'll cost $$.

Posted by: p1funk | December 3, 2010 11:21 AM

First off, no chance Woodley leaves Pittsburgh...they only let guys get away after they turn 30. Guys in their prime like Woodley get their money.

I said several weeks ago when Bailey broke off talks with Denver about a contract extention that he'd be a Redskin again...the whole reason he left here was because the organization was a trainwreck and there was more stability in Denver at the time. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, I could see him making a return here...unless of course, Belichick makes a run at him.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 3, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

brown, I expected more than what they've shown, this looks like something Jim Zorn could have done offensively....I didn't expect the abject failure that we've seen...they have what 4 games in which they've scored either 1 offensive TD, or fewer not including FGs.......thats not good...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 3, 2010 11:42 AM

If Baily's looking for stability, I doubt he's thinking about the team he left 4-head-coaches ago.

But if he's looking for a big payday at age 32, with his best year behind him, his agent is negotiating with Snyder right now.

Posted by: Alan4 | December 3, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

it's a pipe dream but...The 2 players we need off the above list are Ngata and Mankins

I agree, but would add Jackson, wr, to the mix.

Extending Donovan McNabb means you have to invest in reliable targets.

A pass catching group of Jackson-Moss-Cooley-Armstrong is a nice set of targets to begin with.

Adding Mankins means Kory L and W Montgomery get to fight over who's playing right guard.

And adding Ngata means you can trade AH, take a ham sammich in picks for him, and move on.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 3, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I can agree on that to a certain point. They certainly knew what they were doing on the opening drive. So after that, they all forgot? I think that's Bean's point, if you focus on the Vikes game, why would the team look like absolute crap after the opening drive looked so great? True there were alot of drops, but the whole offense went sour. And that usually doesn't happen unless A. One of your star players goes out B. The defense made an adjustment which the offense failed to meet.

Posted by: ga8085 | December 3, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2010 11:49 AM

Greg that sentence just gave me a headache haha

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Say we pick #17 in the draft.

Cam NEwton is on the board.

Do you take him?

I say....yes.

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 3, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2010 11:52 AM |

in the name of the washington redskins, dump AH today

Posted by: hessone | December 3, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 3, 2010 11:39 AM
-------------------------------------------agreed....we need them both

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 3, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

"We need to go after REAL FAs..."

Barf.

We need to break our addiction to landing "name" players and viewing that as the path to glory.

We need an offensive line.

We need to develop a talent base of our own so we're not always dependent on a. landing a savior FA like Albert H or 3. scraping the bottom of the FA barrel to fill critical holes.

We do NOT need to be chasing "name" FAs, no matter what the market is doing.

Fiscal responsibility! Personnel selection acuity! Lust for mayhem!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 3, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2010 11:49 AM

Greg that sentence just gave me a headache haha

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 11:55 AM

Funny thing is, most of those games were "W"s.

Posted by: Alan4 | December 3, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

what if in his stubbornness, Mike believes that Kory is the answer at G....

pa, it makes me throw up in my mouth...every time I think about it...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

4th....

Maybe we'd regret it in 3 years but I doubt it.

We don't have the luxury of taking a QB that high in this draft. We have cast our lot with Mcnabb for the next 2-3 years and we need to protect him and get him some play makers.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 3, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2010 11:49 AM

Fair enough...just sayin' KS doesn't take the lion's share of the blame on that if A) his daddy is the one calling all the shots and B) he's being given a turd and being asked to make it taste like a Snickers. He definitely could have been better, but he's done something the last regime couldn't--gotten solid performances on a fairly regular basis from Moss and Cooley despite other teams making them their lone focus.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 3, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Fiscal responsibility!

Deficit Hawk: I say we cut the budget by getting rid of the stuff you like!

Free Spending Congressman: Well, without an army, navy, hospitals, postal service, intelligence system, pensions, hospitals, schools, police, firemen, air force, college loans, free lunch, and FEMA, we should be financially sound for the Chinese to come in and take over.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Extending Donovan McNabb means you have to invest in reliable targets.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2010 11:52 AM
------------------------------------------
No this means you have to invest in a reliable OLine and OLine coach....

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 3, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Say we pick #17 in the draft.

Cam NEwton is on the board.

Do you take him?

I say....yes.

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 3, 2010 11:56 AM
----------------------------------------

i say yes also...he gonna be good...no doubt

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 3, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Wish we landed him but good for Russ if it indeed happens:

Russ Grimm could coach Panthers in 2011
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 3, 2010, 11:50 AM EST

The Carolina Panthers are 1-10 and head coach John Fox’s contract expires after this season, so it’s not too early to start talking about who might coach the Panthers in 2011.

And Adam Schefter of ESPN reports, citing two NFL sources, that talk is already centering on Cardinals assistant head coach Russ Grimm as a strong candidate to replace Fox.

Grimm, the former Redskins offensive lineman who was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame this year, would make sense as a choice for Panthers owner Jerry Richardson because Richardson wants his franchise to emulate the Steelers, where Grimm was an assistant coach for seven seasons.

As Schefter points out, Grimm could be attractive to Richardson for another reason: He’d likely take the job for a lot less money than a proven head coach like Bill Cowher.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 3, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Kyle Shanahan says rushing struggles are "huge factor"

no sh(t sherlock! And whose job was it to get the RBs needed?

Rookie Terrence Austin gets his chance

oooooooh. who cares?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 3, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

So Cowher to Dallas then?

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

oooh a special teamer, we're awesome!

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 3, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Holmes - Will re-up with NYJ. He's emerged as their top wideout.

Bush - see above

Jerome Harrison - Wait, he counts as a "real" FA, but Derrick Ward doesn't??

Mankins - Will kiss and make-up with Pats.

Dahl - no comment, does he fit zone-blocking?

Houston - Will prob re-up w/ Lions

Woodley - Would love to bring him in.

Posted by: p1funk | December 3, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

VJax - Agree he is a little overrated, but still in the upper rankings of wideouts

Holmes - Will probably sign with Jets but worth giving a contract offer to.

Bush - Could be the young underrated stud we've been looking for.

Jerome Harrison - I put him because he's younger than Ward and I think can be a good role player for us.

Mankins - Might not be as buddy-buddy with the Pats as you think, I see a real possibility of this happening.

Dahl - Every NFL runs zone blocking, and he'd be an upgrade over who we have now, plus the other G in Atlanta would be adequate.

Ellis - Yes getting old, but better than VHolliday.

Ngata - Stud that probably will resign with Ravens but he's too good not to make a run for.

Houston - I think he tests the market, wouldn't mind having him.

Bailey - I just put him for sh*ts and giggles, would rather have Houston, or even Jonathan Joseph.

Woodley - We probably need Ngata more, but Woodley is a close second, matching him on the other side of Orakpo would be a dream senerio!

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2010 11:52 AM |

in the name of the washington redskins, dump AH today

Posted by: hessone | December 3, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Dump AH?

Our #2 sacks guy on the team?

Posted by: p1funk | December 3, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

he was comfortable out there making zero catches in a huge loss. sweeeeeet

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 3, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Say we pick #17 in the draft.

Cam NEwton is on the board.

Do you take him?

I say....yes.

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 3, 2010 11:56 AM |

A thousand times, yes! At 6'6" and 240ish with legit quicks for that size and the gun to go with it, he'll be a stud.

The guy is a legit physical freak with a smile that would make Tiger Woods' look like Steve Buscemi's.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 3, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I would do it. Keep McNAbb because I wouldn't trust Cam Newton for atleast 2 years to play....

I'd make him the 3rd QB for next year...and the 2nd QB for 2012....

Then let Shanny Jr take over with Cam and let the new generation commence....

Pencil it in!

Also, go past the big/known names in next year's free agency, and you will realize there will be qaulity depth out there due to all the 4 & 5 year players who had to sign those 1 year RFA tenders. That was over 200 players and only a small handful have received extensions.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 3, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

i say yes also...he gonna be good...no doubt

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 3, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Vince Young, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Jason Campbell, Heath Shuler, Jamarcus Russell, Alex Smith, Matt Leinart, and Joey Harrington called...

They left a message....

It said YES Doubt.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 3, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

We do NOT need to be chasing "name" FAs, no matter what the market is doing.

Fiscal responsibility! Personnel selection acuity! Lust for mayhem!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 3, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I agree, it would be nice to just go after 1 FA a year, he doesn't have to be the biggest name, just a solid player that improves the team. But the reason we have to go after the biggest fish in the sea is that WE HAVE NO F*CKING DRAFT PICKS!!! I wish we could build thru the draft and then go after a FA or 2, but that's not gonna happen till at least 2012.

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

So Cowher to Dallas then?

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 12:11 PM

No chance. He wants organizational control and Jerruh ain't givin' that up, no matter how bad the Cowpies bottom out this year. If he doesn't go to Carolina, he'll probably wait out the Ginas job...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 3, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

How 'bout starting with offensive linemen? Then, everything else should fall into place.

Posted by: linroy62 | December 3, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I'd make him the 3rd QB for next year...and the 2nd QB for 2012....

Then let Shanny Jr take over with Cam and let the new generation commence....

Pencil it in!

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 3, 2010 12:16 PM

Cam Newton is interesting. When I watch college ball this year, guys that consistently step up in games for their team are Cam Newton, AJ Green, and Alshon Jeffery on offense and Nick Fairley and that ILB from the U.

The question is how to use Newton early in his career. A wildcat package featuring Newton and Banks might be fun to watch.

Posted by: TWISI | December 3, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

What about Marvin Lewis getting fired and Cowher going to the Bungles?

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

But Monk...compared to most of the last decade we have a veritable cornucopia of draft picks this year.

By my tally we are missing a 3 and 4 but have (2) 5's.

I don't remember having a 1 and 2 in the same draft for some time- but I've been pretty well liquored up most of the past 10 drafts, so I could be wrong.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 3, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

it would be great to beat the giants, as much as we harp on beating dallas, we always seem to forget to beat the giants, peeps talk about ooooooo whose rivalry is more venomous for this wkend steelers/ravens or jets/pats

well lets go back to the 80's and think about that......steelers/ravens didnt exist and the jets/pats hahaha an absolute laugher

Skins v giants is the real rivalry here that we need to renew, i just cant stand ala hate the giants, those patsies
i hate the giants and i would love nothing more than to beat those bamas and put a hurtin on their playoff hopes

Posted by: retroskins14 | December 3, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Dump AH?

Our #2 sacks guy on the team?

Posted by: p1funk | December 3, 2010 12:15 PM |

if 2.5 sacks so far this season is worth all the dive ass behavior he brings to the team, you can have him.

greg, there ya go, austin will get his shot. montgomery for center in 2011

Posted by: hessone | December 3, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

No this means you have to invest in a reliable OLine and OLine coach....

These fellows mean well, but haven't noticed the 4 new starters on the o-line and new coach Chris Foester.

The benching of Hicks and Dockery suggests the team is looking for linemen who fit the philosophy that's worked best for Shanahan over the years.

The drafting of Williams, Capers, and Cooke are enough to know that each year, some effort will be made to re-build the offensive line.

So stop whining about it.

The redskins' offensive line will improve.

But we lack targets once the quarterback gets time to throw.

Remember: we need 2-3 additional playmakers as well as quality linemen.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I'd make him the 3rd QB for next year...and the 2nd QB for 2012....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 3, 2010 12:16 PM
--------------------------------------
if we get him...he's number 2 for..no way "i'm too sexy Rexy" beats him out..
Kyle had his boy here for 1 year as he was promised..now its time to really build your team...Cam's the man..ask who can do it Cam can

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 3, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Prepare for some manuevers on draft day guys....

Last yr they didn't know really what we had, so its hard to base what we need

I expect this year we move down and up in the draft.

We should have a list of targets n try to trade back n forth to snag those guys

Everyone look for rodney hudson!! Og/c round 1/2 I say trade back for him end of the first rnd

Rnd1 should be OL/WR/OLB
Rnd 2 should be DL/OL/CB

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 3, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to know more about what Newton's got upstairs. It's obvious he has the physical package, but picking a qb based on physical skills turns out badly more often than not (as WG pointed out). Patrick Ramsey could throw the ball eighty yards.

CN will be a good project for some team though.

Posted by: NYPDee | December 3, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Prepare for some manuevers on draft day guys....

Last yr they didn't know really what we had, so its hard to base what we need

I expect this year we move down and up in the draft.

We should have a list of targets n try to trade back n forth to snag those guys

Rnd1 should be OL/WR/OLB
Rnd 2 should be DL/OL/CB

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 3, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Bailey is too old.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | December 3, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: retroskins14 | December 3, 2010 12:40 PM

Similar situation, records etc to 2007 when we went up there and smacked them in the mouth.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Cam Newton will be a good project for some team though.

So why draft a project high in roubnd 1?

The bronocs drafted a project in Tebow in round 1, and I bet, with a do over, they'd snag a defensive player.

Newton would do well to stay in school and come out in 2012 when he could get Sam Bradford money as the 1st pick.

This year, Luck, Mallett, and Locker will all impress as finished products.

And if either Mallett or Locker are there at picks 10-17, well, I'd take one of those guys.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Jackson WR-- wants to stay in warm weather...

Holmes WR-- jets will lock him up...

Bush RB-- has to stay health before getting a huge contract...

Harrison RB-- is a back up for a reason... does show flashes though...

Mankins G-- perfect tough no nonsense road grader the skins need..

Dahl G-- no...

Ellis DE-- old.. no...

Ngata NT-- will be franchised!!!

Houston CB-- no... can find better cb's in the draft...

Bailey CB-- definitely... bring him home!!!

Woodley LB-- will be franchised... book it...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | December 3, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

By my tally we are missing a 3 and 4 but have (2) 5's.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 3, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Yes, having a 1st and a 2nd are great and I'm not complaining about that, we can get 2 starters or future starters for that, but it would be nice to have our 3rd and 4th round picks back. This has been every year except 2008, when we had 10 draft picks that year and STILL messed it up!

We need to get in the habit of not using our picks to trade for players, and go into EVERY draft with our full compliment of picks. Then trade down in the 1st or 2nd rounds, gain more picks later on in the draft or to use in the next year's draft, and maybe then if we see a player in the top 10 that we want we can afford to trade up. Look at Sanchez a couple years ago, I'm sure Cerrato wanted to trade up to get him but we didn't have any leverage (draft picks) to make the trade.

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

To me...Locker fell out of the 1st round....atleast the 1st half of the 1st round....

We're gonna be in the teens....and with the plethera of potential 1st round QBs, should put us in position to get one the Shanny's would like....

I bet Shanny Jr is getting up in daddy's sh!t for not listening to him about Colt McCoy....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 3, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

But we lack targets once the quarterback gets time to throw.
Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2010 12:41 PM
-----------------------------------------
well when that time comes let me know and i'll get you some targets...but we dont have the time to target the wide outs without time to throw..

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 3, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

that 2007 sunday night game was great playaction and that's the last time we beat them....... we need our swag back but it's gonna b tough

as far as cam newton, just cant draft him, way too much trouble for the talent ....see vince young
i think we just gotta go w/ the lines, just have to, we cant be wooed by the one year wonder skills regardless if he's the truth,
rodney hudson outta fla st maybe?

Posted by: retroskins14 | December 3, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: retroskins14 | December 3, 2010 12:40 PM

------------------------------------
this is the upset special of the week...
Skins 24 Ginas 17

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 3, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: retroskins14 | December 3, 2010 1:07 PM
-----------------------
why is he trouble?...because he got paid to play? they all do that...its just that Urban Myer and the Gator Nation suck so they snitched...but I hear that virgin Tebow got paid also..is he trouble?..

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 3, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

this is the upset special of the week...
Skins 24 Ginas 17

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 3, 2010 1:07 PM

Close...

Washington Redskins 24
New York Football Giants, Inc. 20

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

rodney hudson outta fla st maybe?

Posted by: retroskins14 | December 3, 2010 1:07 PM

You're looking at him adding at least 30 lbs. How will that effect his game, that's the question that needs to be answered.

Posted by: TWISI | December 3, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

newton is trouble to me b/c he's been in trouble for 2 schools, not 1, but 2, you can make excuses for it, but he's lied, cheated and stole

and dont give me this bs that he didnt know what his dad was doing. again it's my opinion, but i cant trust that dude even if it's biased reporting on him

to me that's trouble, his talent cant be denied, but wee need OLINE

Posted by: retroskins14 | December 3, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

this is the upset special of the week...
Skins 24 Ginas 17

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 3, 2010 1:07 PM

Close...

Washington Redskins 24
New York Football Giants, Inc. 20

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 1:17 PM

This team wins low-scoring scrums. More likely:

Skins - 13
Gints - 9

Posted by: Alan4 | December 3, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

...and speaking of wide receivers, how in the world does Brandon Lloyd (yes,THAT Brandon Lloyd) lead the NFL in receiving yards?!

Posted by: danjmusic | December 3, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

This team wins low-scoring scrums. More likely:

Skins - 13
Gints - 9

Posted by: Alan4 | December 3, 2010 1:20 PM

I have to ride out my 24-20 til the bitter end, but you're probably right...I would have the Giants at 10 though.

So McNabb going to throw 40 times and we score 13? yuck haha

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Skins 24 Ginas 17

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 3, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

That's awful close to our prediction PlayAction! NERDS these days!!!!
Ginas is funny though, so I'll let it go! hahaha

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

if 5 is dropping back 40 times, he's gonna be getting sacked like 15 times to boot...I'm hoping that something clicks this week with Kyle, and that he makes changes...no 7 step drops, no taking the snap from center in an obvious passing down...needs to be in the shotty on those...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I would love for us to bring Bailey back as a nickel corner to end his career with the SKINs! HTTR! Def bring back CHAMP! I'm hoping denver don't resign him! Mankins is tough I like him! F vjax Rivers made him I would rather give Holmes or Are Moss a shot while mentoring a Rookie!

Posted by: warriorking111285 | December 3, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

So McNabb going to throw 40 times and we score 13? yuck haha

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 1:26 PM

Par for the course.... 35 passes against the Vikes last week, 13 points. 50 passes against the Titans the week before, 19 points. 49 passes against the Packers, 16 points.

Posted by: Alan4 | December 3, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

This year, Luck, Mallett, and Locker will all impress as finished products.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2010 12:54 PM |

Don't know how Newton would do as a pro. I haven't seen him play much. I suppose he could turn into another Ben Roeth because he is big and tall but I don't know if he has the arm strength that Ben has. He could be more like Tebow who doesn't throw a good ball. As far as next year goes, certainly Matt Barkley will be highly coveted. He throws well, has a high completion rate and comes out of a WCO. If anybody is going to get Brad money I would say it would be him. The only downside to him is that USC as a team is starting to suck because they are on prob. I doubt that Locker will go in the 1st round because he skidded downward bad this year over his performance last year. It is rare to see a QB on a losing team get picked in the 1st round. Mallett may go in the first round. But in terms of overall skills he is at least a notch below Luck.

Posted by: CrimeScene | December 3, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

this is the upset special of the week...
Skins 24 Ginas 17

I hope two things happen:

--our run defense improves as you know like I do, the jints are going to run B Jacobs at it 20-25 times, especially at the left sign to the wide hash

--we can somehow bottle up Eli and the jints solid young receiving corp

Beyond that, I'm saying my prayers and remembering that we beat a packers team that also featured weapons and fine q-back play

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | December 3, 2010 1:34 PM |

It's tough when you have a WR corps that includes a 39 yr old Granpa.

Posted by: CrimeScene | December 3, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2010 1:30 PM
--------------------------------

agreed...we need to somehow find a way to run the ball...call on the ghost of Riggo..Larry Brown.. anyone...just one of our RB's needs to get about 80 yards and we can beat them...but if he drops back that many times they'll make minced McNabb out of him...

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 3, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

That's awful close to our prediction

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 1:28 PM

Make sure Chia, Scamp and Hess are on board with the prediction...we don't want to upset the Great Oz's conspiracy theory.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

terelle pryor for next year?
still has a ways to go, but the Vest is grooming him quite nicely, he's gotten better every year....

Posted by: retroskins14 | December 3, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

It's tough when you have a WR corps that includes a 39 yr old Granpa.

Posted by: CrimeScene | December 3, 2010 1:40 PM

Maybe we were shooting for a father/son WR combo to go with our father/son coaching combo.

Posted by: Alan4 | December 3, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

It's tough when you have a WR corps that includes a 39 yr old Granpa.

Posted by: CrimeScene | December 3, 2010 1:40 PM
-------------------------------
CrimeScene..granpa got sliced like turkey last week...weren't you there?..it was a slaugter!

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 3, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Don't know how Newton would do as a pro....but I don't know if he has the arm strength that Ben has.

Newton can make all the throws needed with force.

He's as quick as Mike Vick.

But--and here's the NFL issue--can he read coverage?

Is he mature or Vince Young/Ryan Leaf?

The final two questions are why he should return to school.

Waiting to 2012 means he's the top guy and he will get top guy loot.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | December 3, 2010 1:34 PM

Damn Alan...I'm not going to mess with you and your Insta-stats anymore!

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

That's awful close to our prediction

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 1:28 PM

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

All hail the Great Oz!!!

Hey, how come you didn't get mentioned with me, scamp and chia, didn't you make fun of him too? That's irretarded, he should've called your DIVE ASS out too!!!

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

So McNabb going to throw 40 times and we score 13? yuck haha

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 1:26 PM

Posted by: Alan4 | December 3, 2010 1:34 PM
------------------------------------------
Why don't they try something different like running the ball? Heck, if it's going to be three and out anyway, just hand it to Sellers and let him freight train it up the middle. With a little luck he'll break Lichtensteiger in half and then Shanny will be forced to a put a real blocker in there.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 3, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Damn Alan...I'm not going to mess with you and your Insta-stats anymore!

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 1:46 PM
------------------------------
Alan..how many of those passes were play-action passes...no pun intended PlayAction

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 3, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Bad News Dive Ass Beeps

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Newton has a great arm, but I'm not sure he's got the integrity we need here in DC. There is plenty of trouble available in DC if you want it and Newton has had 2 issues in the news as a collegiate athlete.

In 2008, he bought a laptop from 'a guy' and that laptop turned out to be stolen from another student at UF. When Newton logged on to the college network, they caught him, and the threw the laptop out of his dorm window.

Now, we're learning that his father is involved in 'booster' issues.

both of these instances speak to integrity issues.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | December 3, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Newton will win the H Trophy and if he declares for draft he won't be there by the time Redskins are up. Arizona will certainly be on the board before WR and Newton is a better fit for them than Leinart would have been. Also Buffalo, Seattle, Raiders should be on board before WR and Luck, et all should be gone as well. Nice if top-level guy is there--but WR would have better off staying with Colt Brennan (and he would be healthy as well). Concentrate instead on both lines, bring back Bailey, sign Ngata (if not franchised) or Mankins. Don't matter who RB is if offense can't get on field or OL sucks.

Posted by: iliwai34 | December 3, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse