Jansen on Demotion; Kelly Doubtful

Jon Jansen, the longest serving player in the organization, was as standup as can be about losing his job to Stephon Heyer, speaking immediately after practice. Jansen, who practiced fully and said his sprained foot is no longer an issue, clearly does not agree with the decision, but showed restraint in his comments.

"I'm disappointed that I'm not going to be out there," Jansen said. "I still believe myself to be the right tackle here, but it's not going to be that way [Thursday], and that's what I have to deal with."

Jansen said he is "healthy and ready to go when needed." He said he was given some explanations but "nothing that I felt was reason enough." He hopes to practice hard and win back his spot - Jansen was getting a lot of work at guard today - but knows the decision rests with the coaches.

Jansen yielded several sacks in preseason games and had many difficult moments as he worked back from a gruesome broken leg that ended his 2007 season in Week 1. His teammates along the offensive line had expressed their confidence and support in him throughout the preseason, and Jansen believed he was making strides, too.

"It really doesn't matter how I grade myself," Jansen said. "They graded me not the starting right tackle, so that's how it is."

Jansen was given a new contract, with $10 million in guarantees, after the 2006 season. Scouts have said his pass protection has tailed in recent years, and he had serious issues against Carolina's rush schemes in the fourth preseason game.

Coach Jim Zorn said the decision to go with Heyer, a second-year player out of Maryland, was very difficult. In the end, though, it appears that the ability to protect the passer was the deciding factor. "We wanted to give Stephon an opportunity," Zorn said. "He really showed in his pass protection that he can really anchor, and that's kind of how we're going to go right now."

Heyer played in 12 games last season as an un-drafted rookie, with five starts.

As for other developments after practice:

Zorn said he and special teams coach Danny Smith met for hours before making the decision to name Durant Brooks the punter after Derrick Frost's three seasons here. Brooks showed "continual improvement," Zorn said, and was "pretty awesome" in practice today.
...
Zorn made it clear that receiver Malcolm Kelly (knee) is a long, longshot to be able to play Thursday. Kelly won't be placed on the injured-reserve list, Zorn said, but as for being active against the Giants: "I don't think so at all." Zorn figures Kelly is out two more weeks. ...

Jason Taylor, who is out with a sprained knee/bone bruise, worked before practice with trainers but did nothing on the practice field. He, too, seems unlikely to play, but Zorn said the team will evaluate him right up through Thursday's warm-ups before making a final call. "Based on today, there's no way, but that's going to be a game-time decision." ...

Rookie safety Kareem Moore missed practice with a hamstring injury, and is day-to-day, while LaRon Landry is still doing extra work and stretching after missing all of camp with his hamstring problem, but got through practice okay today. "He showed me he's either ready, or near 100 percent," Zorn said. ...

The players elected offensive, defensive and special teams captains today. Jason Campbell and Chris Samuels (offense), London Fletcher and Cornelius Griffin (defense) and Rock Cartwright and Khary Campbell (special teams). ...

Zorn said he does not expect any major changes to the roster now, though the team will scan the waiver wire.

By Jason La Canfora  |  August 31, 2008; 4:11 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thomas on Transition to Heyer
Next: Frost Sends a Message

Comments

I wonder how Kendall feels about Jansen taking some work at guard

Posted by: Stainless | August 31, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

First, Jasno Sucks!!!

Posted by: Jasno Hater | August 31, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Forst still sux

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 31, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how Kendall feels about Jansen taking some work at guard

Posted by: Stainless | August 31, 2008 4:30 PM

Probably brittle and old.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 31, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Yeah let's cry some more about Derrick Frost. He will be some where else shanking critical punts.

Posted by: Ask me about my Ipod | August 31, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Jansen's bombing is an indictment of Vinny and his miserable draft.

Where was the anticipation of this development? Jansen must effectively be a cripple, and I understand that considering how bad that injury was.

We doubled-down on three out of shape WR's and now we're stuck starting a walk-on at right tackle. Atleast it's not his blindside...

How long do you think Heyer will last week in and week out? Given what we've seen, he's a marginal NFL player at best.

Posted by: GAD | August 31, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Stinks for Jansen who is a stand-up guy. But I've got to give kudos to Zorn on this one - takes stones to sit a guy like Jansen on this team, but in all honesty he's just looked downright BAD.

And for all the Vinny conspiracy theorists out there, this move does NOT make Vinny look good. They just gave Jansen 10 million in guarantees in 2006...oops!

Posted by: p1funk | August 31, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

"The fact that all 10 draft picks made the roster, even with many of them not exactly shining in the preseason, was not lost on the veterans. The fact that 20 percent of the roster is occupied by these players, again, something that was talked about a bit in the lockeroom.

"It's a dirty business," one veteran said of the fact all 10 draft picks made it. "It's not always about football around here."

If I weren't such a Skins junkie, there is no way I'd follow RI. Jasno, you are such a muckraker with an obvious agenda to find ways to make the Skins brass look bad. For years you've been ripping the front office b/c they aren't building through the draft. Now that they've kept all 10 of the picks, the only angles you can report are the negative ones.

Posted by: p1funk | August 31, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I am sure Zorn and Bugel made this decision because they think this will make the team better. Best case scenario would be for Jansen to end his career as a guard. Joe Jacoby did that pretty well. Fu*& John McCain and his Moose Burger eating VP choice....

Posted by: Obama is Da Man!!! | August 31, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Jasno, quick, I think BLloyd is on the phone with some harsh words about the Skins!

I kid because I love.... seriously, nothing so far seems controversial to me. The proof will be in about week 4, we'll have a pretty good idea what kind of team we have out there.

Posted by: Alan | August 31, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I've got to agree with you, p1funk. First, like many Redskins fans, I am appreciative of all the work that Jason does to keep us in touch with the team and, as a longtime journalist, I understand how difficult his job must be.

Lately, I am growing very tired of the constant - and, I believe, often unfair - potshots at Vinny, Snyder and Gibbs. Sadly, Jason is starting to look like a print/online version of MSNBC's Keith Olbermann, who goes out of his way to blame John McCain for everything that is "wrong" with America.

Do Vinny and Snyder deserve some blame from time to time and sometimes the brunt of the blame? There is absolutely no doubt about it. But, how can nothing ever be the fault of the players or current coaching staff?

As a longtime season ticket holder and diehard, I am very appreciative of all that Dan Snyder and Cerrato are doing in an effort to build a winning team (and it goes without saying that Mr. Gibbs should be thanked for doing so much to stabilize the organization as well.)

Like p1funk, I will keep reading RI because it is, by far, the best way to stay on top of the Skins. That said, it has become downright frightening to see the opinions expressed in RI bleed over into the daily coverage of the team. To call what we read daily in the Post anything but unbiased is a huge joke.

Posted by: RW Skins | August 31, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I thought for sure the rookie Rineheart was going to supplant Kendall. I think they got a little scared of Rinehart when he was playing tackle and was getting killed in the pass rush. It seems they've toned down a lot on that youngster. I can see Jansen playing better at guard.. pulling and having less room to pass block, may be a good fit for him.

Posted by: CLEGG | August 31, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

There is NO WAY you can quickly make a full recovery from a dislocated ankle - fractured fibula. Jansen is putting over 300 lbs. on that joint and his mobilty/quickness is just not going to be there.

Jansen most likely misled that Skins on his problems - hoping to protect his windfall contract.

Vinny was a fool, once again, not to anticipate this development and plan for it.

This will impact Thomas, as that entire right side must work as a unit. The Skins, once again, go into the season with a severely compromised front line.

Posted by: GAD | August 31, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Where is mention from Jasno that the decision to bench Jansen shows that, in at least this situation, the coaches are making the decsions for who plays or sits. No way the FO would not their investment in Jansen riding the pine. Kudos to Zorn and his staff in making a decision that has bcome apparent to many to many fans, ie Jansen's skills has declined.

Posted by: MJ | August 31, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

i still say jansen sees signifigant playing at somepoint this season...maybe this will fire him up and let him get a bit healthier...

I still think J Taylor plays thursday

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 31, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Hey Jason,

Give me a call! I would love to trash the skins over the phone for what they did for me! As far as I know, Shar Pourdanesh is still living in the USA and he is bitter about the Redskins to!

Posted by: Frank Wychek | August 31, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 31, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GAD | August 31, 2008 4:35 PM

Can you please name the three out-of-shape wide receivers we drafted? Were they out of shape when we drafted them? Was it Vinny's fault that they were out of shape when they reported?

How many rookie tackles in the last draft are starting on opening day? Who do you think that we should have drafted at tackle who would play better than Heyer?

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 31, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CLEGG | August 31, 2008 4:58 PM

I always thought that Rinehart wouldn't start for Kendall until next year. Not many third rounders start as a rookie. I'm sure they're still high on him -- for next year when Kendall's contract's up.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 31, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

What part of Heyer's limited NFL career has shown that he is a marginal NFL player? I believe he did OK in his rookie year. I recall a game in NY where he held his own against Strahan. Yes he did poorly in Seatle but so did most of the rest of the team. Many quality NFL players are UFAs including several beloved former Redskins.

Posted by: Lifelong Fan | August 31, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

To call what we read daily in the Post anything but unbiased is a huge joke.

Posted by: RW Skins | August 31, 2008 4:58 PM

----------
You're the dumb a$$ for continuing to READ what you considered to be biased info. I can assure you that I don't watch Fox "News" Channel b/c I don't believe nor agree with their slant.

Doofus.

Posted by: What? Who? | August 31, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, this GAD character is on fire today. Marginal NFL player at best? What part of a 6'6" 325lb player with decent feet is marginal. It's called a rookie. I like him, and he'll start to develop a mean streak soon enough..

Posted by: CLEGG | August 31, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Hoyer give up like 3 or 4 sacks against the Seahawks last year? If I remnember correctly, the DE across from him had a carrer game....

Posted by: Wyatt Earp | August 31, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Very Large testes.

Posted by: Jack | August 31, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

What? Who? I guess the difference between the two of us that I'm able to watch and read multiple opinions and then use my mind to separate fact from fiction.

FYI: on its worst day, Fox News has never been anywhere near as biased as MSNBC is on a daily basis. Believe it.

-----------------
To call what we read daily in the Post anything but unbiased is a huge joke.

Posted by: RW Skins | August 31, 2008 4:58 PM

----------

Doofus.

Posted by: What? Who? | August 31, 2008 5:20 PM

Posted by: RW Skins | August 31, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

He did have a tough game against the Hawks, but not sure that was Patrick Kerney's CAREER day...but he did shut down an all pro a few weeks earlier and did a pretty good job against Ware & Ellis and the rest of the Pokes a week earlier.

Posted by: CLEGG | August 31, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wyatt Earp | August 31, 2008 5:20 PM

Who is Hoyer?? Are you talking about the Democratic Congressman from Maryland, Steny Hoyer?? If so, I would be damned impressed if he played right tackle and only gave up 3 or 4 sacks!! The D.E. must have outweighed him by 200 pounds!

Posted by: Nancy Pelosi | August 31, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Laca, I think maybe it's time for you to ride the bench for awhile. Your personal vendetta against the front office is becoming very, very tiresome. Maybe you need a break and take time to forgive and forget whatever wrong you feel was done to you. You are better than what you've become. Jansens out because he was'nt playing well. Frost is out because in the 3 years he was here he was'nt consistent. Zorn does'nt owe anyone anything, and players are not going to just get by because of who they are anymore.

Posted by: Randy V. | August 31, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

The congress - which I am leading - only has a 9% approval rating.

Vote McCain!!!

Posted by: Nancy Pelosi | August 31, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I am tired of the posts about keeping all 10 draft picks, like that is a bad thing. Draft picks are potential - true you can't always count on them to win now, but none were projected starters when drafted, so nothing has changed.

As for Frost/Brooks, we know what Frost can do - be a serviceable punter - Brooks is all potential. I assume that regardless of who was better in preseason, the coaches felt that Brooks has more potential. I think Frost is peaking now. Brooks is just getting started, and Danny Smith knows it. That's why D. Smith asked the team to draft Brooks.

In this case, the preseason did not really matter. I am sure it is the same for Tryon. Potential over ability to play right now.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | August 31, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Question: What did I miss about Jasno's iPod? Someone please fill me in.

Also, I think it is funny that we jump all over Jasno for calling out the front office, when in fact, the majority of us complain constantly about the front office.

What a conundrum! Who do we hate more?

Cork: first three letters of my last name are Nad...so yes, everytime there are Nad jokes on the blog I feel like the Caveman in the Geico commercial....

Posted by: isnadd | August 31, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

isnadd, you may have grounds for a lawsuit. Remember the "Avoid the Noid" thing where a guy named Noid got upset... wasn't there a lawsuit?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 31, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Actually, it was worse, not a lawsuit but a hostage situation:

Here's hoping the nads problem up here doesn't come to that...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 31, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

NAD NAD NAD NAD NAD NAD NAD NAD NAD NAD NAD NAD NAD NAD NAD NAD NAD NAD NAD NAD

Posted by: Anonymous | August 31, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

talent evaluator,

Out of shape receivers...?

Not my words girlfriend - I think the coach said that.

Go look it up..

Posted by: GAD | August 31, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Wow. I don't think JLaC is up to date on issues of the league and the fact that the uncapped year will be upon us very very soon.

If he did know about this situation he would understand that it is essential for us to get younger because of new rules that will be in place very soon. I will post a few articles on this subject as I find them.

Also, why the hate on Heyer. I thought he proved himself worthy last year.......

Posted by: 4th | August 31, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Where did Mix and McMullen end up?

Posted by: Bryan | August 31, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4th | August 31, 2008 5:45 PM

And Jason pointed this out...He just hates it when the Skins do soemthing good

Posted by: Skip in Va | August 31, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

GAD,

You referred to 3 WR's not in shape. Zorn only Scorned Kelly & Thomas. Which, both were top 5 receivers on most teams board from that draft. Kelly slipped a bit, but he's going to be the better of the two once healthy.

Posted by: CLEGG | August 31, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

CLEGG,

My bad.

OK, two out of shape receivers.

Posted by: GAD | August 31, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Without cap, Cowboys, Chargers can still strut

By John Clayton
ESPN.com

Unless the NFL and the NFL Players Association reach a new extension of the collective bargaining agreement, an uncapped year for team salaries will hit the league in 2010.

Restrictions will apply in this uncapped year. Teams will be given an extra transition tag to go with their one franchise player designation to help them keep two of their top free agents. The best teams won't be allowed to jump into free agency.

The four teams that participate in the conference championship games will not be able to sign an unrestricted free agent until they lose a player in free agency. If those teams lose a player, they can enter the market to find a replacement. There are further limitations on the next four postseason teams, those that participate in the divisional playoff round.

The biggest change would be the time it takes to become a free agent. Under the current salary cap, a player can become an unrestricted free agent after four seasons accrued. In 2010, that time frame would increase to six seasons, mainly allowing players drafted in 2004 or earlier to enter the market freely. Unsigned players without six years in the league would be restricted free agents.

Which teams would be affected most if the league can't get a new labor deal before 2010?

Teams prepared to weather the uncapped storm

1. San Diego Chargers: The Chargers have done one of the best jobs of locking up starters in case of an uncapped year. The core group of the team is still young. .............

2. Dallas Cowboys: Gene Upshaw, head of the NFLPA, reminded reporters last week that Jerry Jones locked up starters from his three-time Super Bowl-winning team during the last uncapped year, which happened in 1993. Jones is trying to do the same thing in anticipation of an uncapped 2010 season. ........................

3. Cleveland Browns: Thanks to the aggressive moves of general manager Phil Savage, the Browns should be set to weather the uncapped storm after picking up Shaun Rogers, Corey Williams and Donte' Stallworth this offseason.

.......................

4. Philadelphia Eagles: The forward-thinking Eagles have worried about the uncapped year for some time and started signing long-term deals with top young players several years ago. As a result, they are tied with the Cowboys, Jaguars and Jets for the league lead in signed starters in 2010 (15). ...................

5. Indianapolis Colts: ............................

Teams with concerns for the 2010 uncapped year

1. New England Patriots ................................

2. Denver Broncos: Mike Shanahan is paying the price for relying too much on free agency and trades and not doing as well in the draft. .........................

3. Detroit Lions: Teams with older starting quarterbacks could be in trouble in the next couple of years because no top quarterback will hit the free-agent market. ...................................................

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: The Bucs also have to look long term at quarterback. Jeff Garcia is 38. ...............................................

5. Washington Redskins: The Redskins are in great shape for the next two seasons, but 2010 could be tough. Eleven of their 22 starters are in their 30s, including five starters on the offensive line. Age is also creeping up on their defense. Cornerback Shawn Springs is 33. Linebacker Marcus Washington is 30. Defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin is 31. Linebacker London Fletcher is 33. Defensive end Phillip Daniels is 35.

With more teams preparing for the chance of an uncapped year, finding replacements for older starters becomes harder and harder. The Redskins soon will have to prepare to replace the entire offensive line and five older starters on defense.

Posted by: 4th | August 31, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

We started replacing the Oline last year and we have alot of youth behind the Dline starters.

Posted by: 4th | August 31, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Nice, 4th. What lengths you and Jasno will go to: posting an fake column pretending to be John Clayton, just to get in some negative comments about Washington's FO.

Obviously, with the criticism on this blog, I expect that from Jasno, but you? You being a willing participant--I'm shocked!

Posted by: Not Anonymous | August 31, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

I don't see how any position translates easier from college to NFL than punter. It's essentially the exact same thing, competition makes little difference. Having said that, why on earth does Jasno try to propaghandize this move?

Hey Jason, Frost sucks. If he beat the rookie out in camp, it wasn't by much. If you want an elite punter, you draft him and throw him in the fire, not stick with an inconsistent retread. I never agreed with the whole open competition thing. Frost should be slightly better initially as he's been a pro for years and is more comfortable in the NFL. But before the year is over, Brooks will prove to be the right pick and should be the punter of this team for years to come.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 31, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4th | August 31, 2008 5:57 PM

That's what this draft and the next two are for

Posted by: Anonymous | August 31, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

NA, funny.

Clayton's comment's is consistent to what I've been saying for some time now:

The Redskins are good until they get until the uncapped year.

Vinny, whose job this is knows he needs to keep young guys and develop them for that time because of the new rules involved. So, it's to early to judge him.

Gotta wait a few more years and drafts, but the instant analysis is off base. Keeping all 10 picks sounds like something JLaC would tell us as to why the Ravens are better team and organization then the Redskins. But, now since the Skins did it, its ridiculous (sp?). Someone tell me I'm liying on this one. Anybody.

Posted by: 4th | August 31, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

"He's very strict," Cooley said. "You don't see that, the players do. He's really strict. We're fining guys for the first time. In the four years I was here with Gibbs, I don't remember anyone that got fined. Guys are walking in two minutes late to a meeting and getting fined, so he's also strict. But I think everyone respects him. He's putting out an image for everyone to respect, and I think that's something you've got to like."

Yeah, how long is THAT going to last? How well do you think Portis is going to do under this system versus dealing with Grandpa?

Posted by: What? Who? | August 31, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

How come nobody beeped me? Who's got the weekend beep coverage?

Posted by: What? Who? | August 31, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Obama is Da Man!!!

I still want to smash his nads! I shoulda been da first president

Posted by: Jesse Jackson | August 31, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Main personnel problems:
1. Jason Campbell will never be a premier NFL quarterback.
2. Except for Santana, none of our WRs would start for any other team in the league.

I am also tired of the Democraps trying to tie McCain to Bush. The two don't even get along. And another thing, NBC, ABC, CBS, and CNN are all in the tank for Obama. At least with Fox, you get both views. By the way, did anyone see Obamas peeps laughing at the prospect of the hurricane coinciding with the GOP convention. Yea, this is the change you're getting, more of the same. Those that think Obama can bring any positive change are naive. First, he has done nothing in his career to demonstrate change, except for a lot of campaign hot air. Second, he selected an old line running mate who is part of the problem that we now have. At least McCain has made a career of being the maverick and working with the democraps (e.g., campaign finance reform). Even Sarah Palin took oil companies and the good old boy network in the Alaska GOP. She even has independents and democrats in her cabinet. Quite a distinction from the highly partisan Obama/Biden track record. One ticket talks change, the other ticket has a track record of change.

Posted by: #44 | August 31, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

That is, she took ON the oil companies and Alaska GOP to fight corruption.

Posted by: #44 | August 31, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

#44

Thanks for signing my football when I was in town last week Riggo!
If we only had someone like him on todays Redskins, well maybe Cooley come close in shenanigans!

Posted by: myrtlebeachmike | August 31, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

It doesn;t do my heart good to say I told you so, but Jansen has been done for some time. When I posted this a couple weeks back, the vitriol was absurd.
Next comment, JC is not the answer, especially for the WCO Zorn is implementing. He is a good kid, strong arm, but way too slow on the release. He'd be great behind an all-pro O-line, something the Redskins don't have right now.

Posted by: myrtlebeachmike | August 31, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

This Jansen thing has been coming on for years. He was pretty good when he was young, but usually beneffited by the side of the line he played on. The big pass rusher on most teams was going up against Samuels. He was always a good run blocker and we were a running team. With Zorn you have to be better at protecting the passer because we will eventually be a passing team if our QB doesn't get killed first.

As for Frost, how many more years were we supposed to watch him beat out the competition in pre-season and then blow it in the regular season. Each year we have had to bring in a punter mid season to compete with him in practice to show him his job was on the line. I am all for giving the new kid a couple years to be better.

Tryon is a bust. People can say what they like about preseason, being a rookie, all that junk. The guy does not know where he is when he is on the field, and 3rd string QB and WR made him look stupid out there. I am not a Blades fan either, but he at least knows where he is supposed to be. Why can't we draft a DB over 6ft tall? I hope Springs has some in his shoes or Burress is going to score 5 TD's.

Last, we are in deep trouble, and by deep I mean going deep. It looks like Davis will be OK, but he is a TE. The Two WR are already not showing it, and we cut the only WR that had a productive pre-season. I don't see the guys to make the WC offense go. We better hope we never have to get more than 15 yards in one shot.

Posted by: DB | August 31, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

I agree wit hthe last two guys. Not sure if Heyer is the guy either, but Jansen has been getting beat for a few years now.

Unfortuantely I agree with the guy who said JC is not the man. Sorry but he just isn't, and there are a whole bunch of guys that look good behind an all pro line. In the WCO you need to think, react, and release much faster than Soup does. He looked good in the HOF game.... a week before the other teams even woke up. As the weeks went by, the league went past. We are in for a long season. PS I have better footwork and mechanics than Colt. honestly he looked like he was tripping over his own feet every time he tried to pass.

Posted by: Daman | August 31, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Out of shape receivers...?

Not my words girlfriend - I think the coach said that.

Go look it up..

Posted by: GAD | August 31, 2008 5:43 PM

Look, GAD, all I asked was for you to name them. You still haven't delivered and now you're all catty.

I asked some other questions about your second post and you can't can't answer them, either. Here's my questions, want to take another try at them:

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 31, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Daman,

I agree Colt's footwork, and overall mechanics are not where they should be. He is exciting against 3rd stringers, but not quite ready for prime time if you know what I mean.

Who are the Skins going to try to pick-up from the other teams cuts? I think an O-line man and a WR would be nice. Moss is good, not great, ARE and Thrash? You've got to be kidding me. Cooley is in for a huge year with those WR's

Posted by: myrtlebeachmike | August 31, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Mike,
They didn't use Cooley very much in preseason when the starters were in. Hopefully, that will change starting Thursday.

McCain not Hussein!

Posted by: #44 | August 31, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

#44, myrtlebeach and daman, you guys have nailed it. How could they have kept Tryon? He will be ok if other teams start using midget receivers, but we seem to be the only one doing that. He should be on PS, Kelly probably on PUP and McMullen on the team. Mix too. Moss and ARE are at best situational players, not every down number 1 and 2 receivers, particularly not with WCO.

Looking back, they should have just resigned Reche Caldwell. He was a legit number 3 and would have put up bigger numbers than the two rookies combined.

Posted by: AAA | August 31, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Unless they pick up another receiver, or are really playing poker with the two young guys, the passing game is going to be moss and cooley. portis can catch out of the backfield too. betts, although i like him somewhat, doesn't strike fear in our opponents hearts.
Caldwell, see what I mean? if he sounds like a legit addition, (and he does, then what does that say for the very average receivers we have?
Maybe JC will drink some extra strong coffee before the game and won't be able to help himself, forcing the throws to come out earlier than he normally does, which would be great!

Posted by: myrtlebeachmike | August 31, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Im sorry but richardson should be on the active roster over tryon who has been awful in pass coverage.

Posted by: D.C. | August 31, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Vote for me not for nappy headed obama

Posted by: Mcain | August 31, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

someone here posted...

Once again the Skins enter the season with serious question surrounding the OL...

how true...

this has continued the legacy of the Snyder Ownership...

The ongoing inability to actually address needs...

OL and DL... to any great extent.. It continues to be a plug in mentality...

that said... Jansen will most probably regain his starting spot in the very near future... of this I have no doubt.. it has been a rough couple years...

But when compared to Samuels.. I will take Jansen every single time... Samuels showed nothing this preseason...

Also stated in a post... The Unfair Pop Shots at Vinny and Dan...

Are you kidding me???? every criticism has been warranted...

This draft was without a doubt the biggest single waste of picks in the history of the draft by any team ever....

Both WR's failed to produce.. the TE is a useless pick behind Cooley and Yoder...

Tryon????? should not even be allowed to play Area League..

Frost though not better than last year to be sure.. still out kicked the rookie.. check the stats...

thats 40% of the draft...

or 3 spots on the roster... for OL or DL.. both of which can always be address each year..

This team (Snyder/Cerrato) continues to advance the sentiments of every other NFL city..

The Redskins are a laughing stock... one of richest teams in the NFL that can't buy a Super Bowl and can't build a team that will win the Super Bowl...

and as long as the Redskins are under the Owner/Management it current endures... this will be the case...

I guess what Gibbs was not able to impart on Vinny and Dan... Character.

43 years... and never have I seen a total disregard for players that should have made the Team... versus those that clearly did not earn a roster spot....

5-11... if they are lucky and get a bounce or two.. which for several years they haven't... but if they do... 7-9...

totally dominated within the Division...

Sad... but true....

Posted by: Talontbo | August 31, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

It's not like Heyer will have to deal with Patrick Kerney this week...

POUND THE ROCK; CP 25+ touches this week, 2 TD's; Skins W 24-14

Posted by: Steff | August 31, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Heyer will probably do a nice job at rte tackle, he is stronger this year better conditioned and his technique is better and he represents YOUTH on the o-line everyone else on the o-line are OVER 30. Maybe janson can take kendall's job(35yrs bad knees)if he is healthy

Posted by: wathu19 | August 31, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

It was posted earlier on this thread that perhaps Jansen will move to guard and it be beneficial. Then it was stated that it worked for Joe Jacoby as well.

Someone help me where I am wrong on this one, please? My memory is that Joe Jacoby played LT for several years, and when Jim Lachey was brought in, Lachey played LT, and Jacoby transitioned to play RT.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 31, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

"You're the dumb a$$ for continuing to READ what you considered to be biased info."

Well, you see, I've been reading the post since I learned to read 34 years ago. Kinda like you don't want the a-holes who just moved in next door to drive you out of the house you lived in for 30+ years. I'm comfortable with the Post and just wish they would go back to unbiased reporting.
There are plenty of legitimate things to criticize the 'skins about, but it's pretty obvious Jasno won't give them credit for anything and will assign an ulterior motive to every decision.
An interesting double standard- when the Wiz just barely make the playoffs they are compared with the years previous to Jordan-Grunfeld and praised because they had no success before that. When the skins make the playoffs 2 out of 3 years they are compared not with the previous 10 years, but with Gibbs part 1 and called a failure.
Didn't they say Barry would cover the 'Skins this year. We want Barry! We want Barry! We want Barry!

Posted by: junkiwonteverread | September 1, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

This post is to "talent evaluator." To answer your questions about our two out-of-shape rookie WRs and rookie TE Davis: Yes, all three were out of shape when they were drafted. This was widely reported in pre-draft scouting reports. And yes, in a way it is Vinny's fault that they were out of shape when they reported. Here's why: Kelley was out of shape (and very slow) when running the 40 at the combine. After posting consecutive very slow 40 times, Kelley threw an immature tantrum (caught on video, you can watch Youtube) and blamed his college coaching staff for the poor times. Scouts around the league took notice not just of the slow times, but of Kelley's outburst, which seemed to confirm previous reports that he has a poor attitude/work ethic. Thus, he dropped from being a potential top 20 pick in the first round to a second round pick. Vinny knew this when he drafted Kelley. Before the draft, scouts were also saying that Davis had some character issues and work ethic issues. Vinny took him nonetheless. (Remember how Davis then slept through the first day of practice this summer after being out late?) Thomas was also said to be out of shape, but Vinny took him too. So yes, Vinny is partially to blame--for selecting players with poor work habits. Players with poor work habits generally do not succeed in the NFL, no how much talent they may have. You think someone who REALLY knows football, someone like Bill Parcells or Bill Cowher, would select guys like Kelley, Thomas and Davis with their top three picks? Three players with a known history of poor work habits with the first three picks?! Heck no.

Posted by: Football_IQ | September 1, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse