Josh Bidwell shaky at times in victory

During an Internet chat this morning, I was asked whether the Redskins to work out punters this week after Josh Bidwell's sometimes shaky performance against Dallas.

Bidwell averaged 41.2 yards on six punts - including an impressive net average of 39.3 yards - and his longest punt covered 51 yards. But he also had a 27-yarder late in the third quarter to Washington's 34-yard line.

Six plays later, the Cowboys scored the game's only offensive touchdown on a four-yard pass from quarterback Tony Romo to wide receiver Miles Austin.

Earlier in the third, Bidwell failed to handle the snap from Nick Sundberg as Washington attempted a short field goal, costing the team a chance to extend its lead to 13-0.

Bidwell was the Redskins' only punter in training camp and the preseason, so Coach Mike Shanahan and special teams coordinator Danny Smith obviously saw something in the guy. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave it at least another week before deciding to make a change.

"Things like that happen," Shanahan said after the game. "You are going to have turnovers, you are going to have bad punts, but you got to find a way to step up and make some plays and gain good field position.

"A number of times during the game, we played defense really well. We didn't stop them on every play, but overall I am very pleased with how they did in very adverse situations."

By Jason Reid  |  September 13, 2010; 3:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Trent Williams passes test against DeMarcus Ware
Next: Kareem Moore's rehab ahead of schedule

Comments

Everyone remember that today is "Fart on a Cowboys Fan" day.

Do your patriotic duty and drop a massive fart on/around cowboys fans!!!!

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 13, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

From Recdskins.com:

Devin Thomas not only said all the right things about his role in Sunday night's game, he really seemed to sincerely mean them.

"I'm comfortable wherever coach puts me," he said.

"You know, I just wanna do my part," he said. Because I feel like we're all brothers here."

"I think we've got a great camaraderie, better than we had my last two years," he said, "so I'm just gonna do my part. Whatever it is, I'm gonna do it."

On Sunday night, "doing his part" meant playing on special teams. "I had a special teams day," Thomas said, "so kick returns, punt return duty as far as being a jammer, and on kickoffs, you know, I just had to do my job. Those were my assignments today and I pulled it off."

Pulled it off well, in fact. Thomas had two kickoff return opportunities, which he took for 34 and 42 yards, and in both cases it was Cowboys kicker David Buehler who brought him down -- a fact that caused Thomas to chuckle in the locker room.

"They always tell us, 'Don't let the kicker bring you down,'" Thomas explained, then added, "But he used to play safety, so I don't feel too bad."

Running back Keiland Williams, getting dressed at a nearby locker, burst out laughing, as did much of the assembled media pack, but Thomas wasn't kidding.

"You gotta do your research, baby," Thomas said, smiling. " You know, you gotta study film, you gotta know stuff about guys."

Here's what Thomas knew about Buehler: "He was a safety at USC, so he has ability to know how to maintain leverage and you can't just juke him out of runs. And he's fast, too! He runs, like, a 4.4."

All of this is true. Buehler made some bloggy headlines during the offseason for beating Cowboys rookie defensive back DeAngelo Smith in a 50-yard dash, and followed that up by issuing a few quotes like this one, on if he could beat wide receiver Patrick Crayton in the 40:

"You know, I think I could; I think I could. Nothing against Patrick, you know, but I have confidence in my speed, too, so I think I could beat him. (Since Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips has banned 'challenge races') It probably won't happen at practice, or anything like that; it'll just need to be on the side."

Even Keiland Williams checked in to make it clear that he wasn't laughing out of skepticism. "[Buehler] really squeezed it well," he said. "You got caught in it, wasn't anything you could do."

So Thomas is off the hook for those two -- and the 76 total yards on two returns was still nothing to ignore. In fact, it prompted questions about when Thomas might see time with the offense, and Thomas answered them with the same sincere-sounding team-first attitude.

"We'll see," he said. "We'll see. I'm just trying to show 'em everything I can do; when I get the ball I feel like I can make a play. If that turns them on to having me come on to the offense, then I'm ready for it. But if I'm gonna stand back on kick return and just do that, then I'm fine with it. I'm just gonna do my part."

Posted by: psps23 | September 13, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

C'mon, JR. The best punters in the league all shank one every now and then. The flubbed snap was a shame, but that was just karma kicking Shanahans balls for taking points off the board.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 13, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Methinks Devin Thomas is going to see some growing PT on offense in the upcoming week.

Posted by: psps23 | September 13, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Happy birthday, Zeke!

I'm with you, Nate. Very impressed with the Hoos so far this year. Woulda-shoulda-coulda and all that, but we could have and should have beaten USC Saturday night. Left 13 points on the field.

What a trifecta weekend that would have been! VT gets humiliated, Skins win, and UVa travels cross-country to knock off a top-25 team. Ah, well. Two out of three.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 13, 2010 3:10 PM

Posted by: freakzilla | September 13, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Meagree. He's so physical. Certainly they can use his physicality in the red zone. I would have loved to have seen him on those fades rather than the smallish Armstrong.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 13, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Saw a couple of other games that folks might have had an interest in (FF, x-Skins, etc).

The Titan/Raider game. Jason Campbell has the exact same situation in Oakland as he did in DC, 'cept his WRs aren't nearly as good. So the game looked exactly like many of his games in DC. The good stats came after the game was out of reach, on checkdowns to the RB.

Not so many receiver drops (a few, only one that might have mattered early on -- the announcer was all over the WR, why isn't he using 2 hands to catch the ball!!). Plenty of OL related penalties instead of drops, however -- and the usual 4 sacks. The center was awful -- where a shotgun snap would go was pretty much a mystery, and the OL blocking was horrid. As in DC, JC got hit often, several times by guys essentially untouched. Still, Campbell added to his own misery. On a 3rd down play, he scrambled and slid 1 yard short of a 1st down when he would have made easily if he'd gone forward.

Here's a comment from ESPN on the Raiders:

Biggest area to fix: There are several candidates, but the Raiders aren’t going anywhere unless they fix the passing game. It starts with better play by the offensive line. The unit was ghastly, especially early. New quarterback Jason Campbell never truly had a chance to get his game going. He was harassed routinely until Oakland started to throw short passes to running back Darren McFadden. But an offense can’t live on those types of plays. The line needs to give enough protection for him to get to his receivers.

The Titans looked good all around. It was much more than Chris Johnson, who had a modest day -- except for his 70+ yard TD run.

Also saw the 49er/Seahawk game. What a shock. Alex Smith struggled, but Crabtree was a disaster. On two picks, Smith threw to Crabtree. On 1, the ball bounced of of his hands. On the other, it looked liked Smith expected Crabtree to run a hook, but instead ran an out. One was a pick 6, the other resulted in an Sea TD drive of just 13 yards. Of note, the Sea defense shut down Frank Gore. Smith missed an easy TD pass to an RB and had TD overturned on close play (WR out of bounds).

One play turned the game. It was a bogus defensive holding call against SF. Should have been offensive interference (the receiver actually saved an INT). Instead of a 4th down punt, it gave Sea their first 1st down of the game (well into the 2nd quarter). Seemed liked Hasselback found his groove right after that, and SF fell apart. Over the next 10 minutes or so of game clock, Sea put up 28 points with a 131 yards of offense. Lot of points per yard of offense!!

Overall, not shocked by the Raiders problems, we all know what Campbell and bad OL look like. But the 49ers -- I had no clue they'd have so many problems. Or that Sea would look so good.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 13, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

And bidwell had a good hold on a low snap on the 49 yarder. heres to a consistent kicking game!!

Posted by: Zeebs1 | September 13, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Been thinking:

Dallas losing = Schadenfreude

Skins winning = Joy

Skins beating Dallas = Schadenjoyde

Posted by: freakzilla | September 13, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

And thanks all for the b-day wishes. Feel free to accompany them with a nice F dallas.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 13, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

2 more points I forgot to mention....

7. My 2 cents on the Uni's. Loved the gold pants look. The socks looked a little out of place at first because they didn't match the pants or the jersey, but by halftime the look grew on me. Hope they keep the gold pants all season, and just switch to all-red socks.

8. Haynesworth has really played himself. Skins proved they can win without him being a major part of the defense. His pouting on the sidelines make him look like a total jack@ss. Shanahan has put the Al in a position where he has to practice hard during the week in order to get major burn in the game. Thats genius on Shanny's part.
Whether or not they move him, and I think they should if he doesn't start showing something in practice soon, coach has managed to take back the leverage in this situation.

Posted by: Predator48 | September 13, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I've never seen a more invisible performance from a starting wide receiver than that which Joey Galloway turned in last night.

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 13, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Josh Bidwell shaky at times in victory.

I would use the term "sucky" but hey, thats me.

Posted by: Predator48 | September 13, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I posted this a few threads back....but how hysterically pathetic was that K. Brookings pre game rant......wow.....

Posted by: chrislarry | September 13, 2010 2:32 PM

"The Stage is set! *Yeah* All the Hard Work! *Yeah* We get a lil Situation on our HAnds. *Yeah* We're in their home. *Yeah* We gotta Scratch! *Yeah* We gotta claw *Yeah* We got bleed! *Yeah* FOR EACH OTHEEEEEEER!"

lololololololol Yo! Me and my son was mocking that joint all during the game..

For Each OTheeeeer! You gotta see his face....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 13, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

If Bidwell continues to falter, there's a pretty good punter on Tampa Bay's practice squad. Virginia Tech grad and Fairfax resident Brent Bowden was selected by the Bucs in the 6th round of last year's draft.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 13, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

zorn-ahan zorn-ahan zorn-ahan

remember when Haslett coached the Rams to beat us a la Pete Kendall fumble run back for TD

Now we got Haslett

those guys beat us then Dallas then lost the rest of thekr games

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 13, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Shanny on now....

Expect no news.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 13, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Shanny on now....

Expect no news.....

Posted by: 4thFloor

That's funny!!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 13, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 13, 2010 3:29 PM

Seriously, dude was a ghost...how is that better than what DT11 could have done. It seemed towards the end of the game, Cowgirls figured it out and just stacked on Moss.

again baffled why we did not make a run at HOUSH...

Hail Skins and F the Cowgirls and Tony HOMO

Posted by: mhartz1 | September 13, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Todd Archer: Tony Romo feels like Cowboys' win was taken away from them

And you wonder why cowboy fans are so delusional.

Oh and Lebron left the game early according to the article, NOT surprising.

Posted by: Predator48 | September 13, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Predator48 | September 13, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------

Even worse, Haynesworth took himself out of position on several running plays, which actually hurt the defense.

Another note about the defense: Can we stop calling that 3rd n short defense where all the linemen stand up? It's only redeeming quality may be the potential loss of traction in the puddle of drool from 5 O linemen guaranteed leverage on anyone in front of them.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 13, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51

McCants
Lloyd
Westbrook

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 13, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

JReid asked about DT11 getting more PT based on his KO ret performance. Shanny said they want to play their best players and DT11 helped himself last night.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 13, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

BEEPS

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 13, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth seemed to be playing catch up for most of the game. While everyone else was running at normal speed, he was just jogging along -- and getting gassed. At this rate, he may actually get into playing shape by late December, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 13, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Predator48 | September 13, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 13, 2010 3:40 PM

From Haynesworth's point of view, last night was a disaster. Having the broadcast crew give the nation a primer on his bad his 3-4 technique was the cherry on top. They don't need him...that's obvious to everyone now. They might even have a really good defense and not being a part of it will look REALLY bad. His only real option is what he is deathly afraid of...hard work and getting with the program. Of course, none of this helps with his trade value. The best we can hope for is that a decent team that plays a 4-3 and still has playoff hopes loses their DT to injury and they bite on our cancerous pain in the neck.

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 13, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Some of you are dumb enough to get a job with the Redskins. In fact, from all the Shanahan slobbering, I wonder if several of you don't work there already.

I actually watched the game last night, and I saw a Redskins defense that was gashed pretty much at will by the Cowboys. We were saved by field position. They had a lot of long fields to deal with. The one short field they had, they scored their TD. We got very lucky at the end too, but I know most of you have forgotten that.

On offense, we looked about like last year. No run game, no downfield pass game, poor protection and dubious playcalling. I'm not a big fan of the fade pass with a big receiver. We throw two in a row to a short guy? WTF.

The Haynesworth debacle is just sad. Shanahan and Haslett have taken one of the league's dominant players and turned him into a backup NT, clearly playing out of position and demoralized. How some of you think this is a good thing and shows what a great coach Shanahan is mystifies me. We won one game, mainly through luck, without Haynesworth. Don't expect it to become a trend.

Posted by: Iamhumongous | September 13, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Iamhumongous has a humongous ego but not so much with the analysis. Buildup leads to breakthrough, pal. That's the way winning happens. Shanahan is getting the Redskins to do the little things necessary to win, to sublimate their egos to something bigger: Winning. Of course they are not perfect, but, they are trending the right way at long last.

Posted by: daglaw | September 13, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

On offense, we looked about like last year.

Posted by: Iamhumongous | September 13, 2010 4:17 PM

Come on, really? You can't tell the difference between last year and this year with this offense? I mean, at the very, VERY least when you watch McNabb you don't see a guy making plays where JC would not have?

Agree w/ daglaw. This is an offense on the way up.

Posted by: fan-o-matic | September 13, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to the cutting of the exceptionally reliable Albright, Bidwell is obviously preoccupied with fielding lousy snaps instead of concentrating on only the kicks.

Posted by: Redskinrex | September 13, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse