Juggling Is a Key Part of Minicamp

The Redskins had 114 players here for the start of minicamp, which makes evaluating them all difficult. However, Coach Jim Zorn said he has been pleased with the process, with the Redskins keeping their rookies, draft picks and non-roster players on the field for additional work for about 20 minutes after each practice session.

Those players, with such limited experience in this offense, aren't fully prepared to participate in all drills. And, with them not knowing exactly what to do, Zorn doesn't want to risk them being in the wrong position and possibly injuring a regular. Plus, with so many bodies here, the Redskins don't want to give the idea that each individual isn't getting a fair look.

All of the coaches are on the field for the extra sessions, and there are plenty of players to fill out the reps, with 28 non-roster players here, six draft picks and 13 undrafted free agents.

"We're going to keep doing that period every day after practice so we can give these guys at least the time of day," Zorn said. "And it's hard to do that in team drills. What are we going to do, yell, 'Double right 80 crease on one?' They look at you like, 'What?' But they're giving a great effort on drills and putting in their time and after seeing it for a few practices they're jumping in there and look pretty good."

By Jason La Canfora  |  May 2, 2009; 3:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Skins Could Sign a Veteran Wide Receiver
Next: Rain, Rain Go Away

Comments

By Jason La Canfora | May 2, 2009; 3:00 PM ET

This is an issue on Redskins Insider, too. I feel like some of these newbies up here have gotten in the wrong position and injured some of the regulars. Something should be done about this.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 2, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

HI FOLKS! I AM MOVING AND HAVE CLUB Level SEASON TIX available. Willing to move at a VERY competitive rate, includes a FREE ORANGE LOT PASS, RIght on the 50. csquaredskins@yahoo

Posted by: Club320 | May 2, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

All Washington Post blogs must conform to the same standards as stories in the newspaper, which means that, among other things, material attributed to anonymous sources always must be independently confirmed.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | May 2, 2009 2:49 PM

I can independently confirm the truth of what Cindy's saying, since I've been an anonymous source more times than I care to mention.

Last week Jasno quoted me on Orakpo. I was the anonymous "NFL talent evaluator" who told him "He's the wrong size for the Redskins and he's going to be a complete bust."

Not 15 minutes after I gave away that nugget, Jason Reid called to independently confirm it. "Dude, did you say that to Jasno, and did you mean it?" I said "That's a big affirmatory!"

So, they ran my quote, independently confirmed, in the story the next day.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 2, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Club320 | May 2, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Club 320--you should try Craig's list. Everyone who posts up here already has season tickets.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 2, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

So now we can get season tix AND prostitutes on Craig's List? What a wonderful site.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 2, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Whaddaya mean needlessly? Read the post above. There's like 105 players on the field and Jasno starts off with "Thomas not participating." How much more negative can you get than that? Guy just gets paid when he writes bad things about the 'Skins.

Posted by: talent_evaluator

I respect a lot of your posts and your sense of humor. If your post above was meant as satire, discontinue reading now.

Otherwise, please stick to areas where you have a modicum of expertese, okay? Because you are clueless about how journalism works.

The fact that Thomas, who missed much of last year with injuries missed the FIRST minicamp with an injury IS NEWS!!!

The fact that Thomas, who was accused by his coach of reporting out of shape last year missed practice is NEWS!!!!

The fact that 105 players were NOT injured is NOT news. (Well maybe with the redskins injury history, it is. But it's not the lead.)

You want to read about that? Go to Redskins.com.

If you were an editor, would YOUR lead go: "Today 2 million residents of the District of Columbia were NOT shot?"

The Beat Reporter's job is not to be positive but to report news from camp.

And ripping him for it, is just tiresome.

Someone posted and said they were disappointed I was nasty again. I can't help it. I hate this petty venal sniping at the guy who REPORTS the bad news. It's not like he pulled Thomas's hamstring for him

Posted by: TheCork | May 2, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

There on Craigs list, thanks.

Posted by: Club320 | May 2, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Club320 | May 2, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | May 2, 2009 3:25 PM

This is how far I read. Let me know if I missed anything important.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 2, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 2, 2009 3:19 PM |

Facebook = sexual predators
eharmony = married guys

So what else is new?

Posted by: AntonChigurh | May 2, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Juggling Is a Key Part of Minicamp

I hope there is also a class on the art of wearing bright red bulbs for noses.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | May 2, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Would someone please buy this guy's tickets so he will stop posting the same message ovre and over!

Posted by: MrDumberton | May 2, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

... material attributed to anonymous sources always must be independently confirmed.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | May 2, 2009 2:49 PM

independent confirmation = second ureliable source

Posted by: AntonChigurh | May 2, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrDumberton | May 2, 2009 3:32 PM

Just another new ploy. He doesn't have any season tickets. He wants to meet one of us in the parking lot and "get to know us better."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 2, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrDumberton | May 2, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Then maybe the prostitutes will start posting over here as well.

Posted by: SoCal_SkinsFan | May 2, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 2, 2009 3:34 PM | Report ab

Name the lot TE, we can discuss it further SWEETHEART...

Posted by: Club320 | May 2, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

... Because you are clueless about how journalism works. ...

Posted by: TheCork | May 2, 2009 3:25 PM

Heh, heh. Like journalism is rocket science.

Posted by: AntonChigurh | May 2, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

The Beat Reporter's job is not to be positive but to report news from camp.

Posted by: TheCork | May 2, 2009 3:25 PM |

So, if he were covering the Caps game his headline wouldn't be "Caps 3, Penguins 2." It would be "Pittsburgh outshoots the Caps, 36-26 as Varlemov lets in two goals."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 2, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Name the lot TE, we can discuss it further SWEETHEART...

Posted by: Club320 | May 2, 2009 3:39 PM |

I'm flattered but you don't want me. I'm not your type. I've been jilted by so many of you 50-yard-liners. I'm hoping to meet a 35-yard-line chick.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 2, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Or the Caps win despite being outplayed and their Defenseman constantly being caught out of position. I like this headline Varelemov is a stud and Crosby has a poster of Ovie in his bedroom.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 2, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 2, 2009 3:44 PM

Its OK baby, the right man will come along sooner or later. Sorry to disrupt your daily focus, Just trying to move the tix.
V/R
Curt

Posted by: Club320 | May 2, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: saltine182 | May 2, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure most people who regularly post know this, but ORAKPO is on the cover of NCAA10 for PS2. Just a heads up, I just found out myself.

Posted by: saltine182 | May 2, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

fred davis and chris cooley on the field at the same time...two TE's with 500+ yards each? especially if no second WR emerges...offense could still be dynamic, just in a less conventional way....two atheltic pass catchers at TE workin' the seams and middle with santana streakin' deep

Posted by: altarkenton | May 2, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Then maybe the prostitutes will start posting over here as well.

Posted by: SoCal_SkinsFan | May 2, 2009 3:35 PM |

Oh there are plenty of w hores on here already.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 2, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator

Hey, I don't have season tickets, but then again, I live in Tucson, so they wouldn't help much. By the way, you know how hard it is living here as a Skins fan now that the Cards went to the superbowl? I mean, that was one sure thing of a great weekend when the Skins would play here, cause it meant a sure win and I could show up an hour before game time and get my choice of seats. Sheesh

Posted by: kenboy1 | May 2, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

JLAC's article on the offensive line is slanted and misrepresents the true state of affairs. I really wonder who the "NFL insiders" are that he constantly cites because they never (and I mean never) have anything positive to say about the team. I have been reading this blog now for a couple of seasons and I have yet to read an update that focused solely on the positive. In this article he managed to dis the entire offensive line with the possible exceptions of Chris Samuels and Randy Thomas. Please tell me how signing OL Williams (who is attempting a comeback after being the 4th pick in the draft)as a possible BACKUP right tackle is a sign of desperation. Its may and already it seems the season is lost. What garbage!

Posted by: ederic | May 2, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Pretty cool website. its a sportsbet site, but you don't need to give them anything other than email. you start with 10 cents and can build your way up and collect a check or just keep going, but they will refill 10 cents free every time you go to zero. its free

Posted by: DaFunBunch | May 2, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Club320 | May 2, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

There's snyder trying to get us to buy his dream seats again. First it's free cowboys tickets and now redskins insider, god knows whats next

Posted by: DaFunBunch | May 2, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

JLC is doing a good job of keeping us tuned in to the Post. But he is doing a lousy job of reporting for the fans.

JLC's allegiance is to the Post and his salary. We get it.

How about Snyder's allegiance. If Snyder's allegiance was only to his pocketbook, he wouldn't be spending so much on salaries. He would take the advice of JLC types and only play rookie draft picks!

Posted by: peaceful2008 | May 2, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey Canfy,

Report to us on the condition of Mike Williams toe nails. We want to know, really!

Also report to us if the Redskins draft picks shave and shower regularly.

Posted by: peaceful2008 | May 2, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

NFL.com video of 'Skins minicamp...

The big '09 story ad nauseum is whether Campbell handles being thrown under the bus twice this offseason.

Posted by: swowra | May 2, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Here is a "report" form G. Fitzgerald of Redskins.com on Redskins' OL:

"The Redskins’ offensive line is sure to be a focus during mini-camp and OTA work.
The team did not draft any offensive linemen. Apart from the re-signing of Derrick Dockery to replace Pete Kendall, the only marquee addition is veteran Mike Williams who has not played in an NFL game since 2005.
Bugel and the coaches are high on several young linemen, including Chad Rinehart, D’Anthony Batiste and Devin Clark Undrafted rookie pickups Edwin Williams and Scott Burley are getting a close look, too."

OK? not rosy but not doomsday either. This is sport-reporting. JLC is qualified to report as above.

Posted by: peaceful2008 | May 2, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | May 2, 2009 3:25 PM | Report

Hey, Cork, I gotta jump in here and say that te has a point. Jasno does an inordinate amount of anon source quoting and it's always the same stuff.

And comfirming the source means nothing. We don't know what this "executive's" creds are and we never do.

Posted by: LarryBud | May 2, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

The sky is literally falling on the cowboys...Glad none is seriously injured. Couldnt happen to a better team.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 2, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 2, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Journalism at it's finest! Where's the story about this?

My texts are blowing up about this, can someone send a link to a REAL news source that actually provides updates in less than 24 hours?

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | May 2, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Diesel44,

I have always thought that JLC and the Cowgirls will do well under one roof! (As they both hate the Redskins)

Posted by: peaceful2008 | May 2, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

I say we ship Canfy to the Cowgirls this year in exchange for their second round toilet brush next year!

Posted by: peaceful2008 | May 2, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

I know the Cowgirls have two "round toilet brushes". We can use the second one.

Posted by: peaceful2008 | May 2, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Since we are counting so heavily on the bills 4th overall pick in the 2003 draft. Afterall this is why we didnt address the Oline in the draft and are so excited about the addition of doc and his roommate I found my love for football again (aka I'm outta money) Mike Williams. I am requesting that RI provide a daily weigh in of our answer to all our oline woes. Thanks in advance JLC

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 2, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Please note I meant 2002 4th overall pick and I'm gonna go ahead and demand this from JLC. Thanks again JLC and keep up your great work.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 2, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

SICWIDIT POLL-O-DA-WEEK

1) What did you think of the Kevin Barnes
pick?

a) liked it-you can never have too many
CB's
b) I would have gone O-line first
c) not a good move

B

2) Who will be the 1, 2 and 3 receivers
against the Giants (barring injury)?

I hope, Moss, Thomas, Kelly/ARE

3) Who has been the Redskins most valuable free agent pickup of the last 5 years?

a) Santana Moss
b) Clinton Portis
c) London Fletcher
d) Cornelius Griffin

C

4) Who will have more INT's this year?

a) Rogers
b) Hall

C.ot even close against "Hands of stone" Rogers

5) Salma Hayak or Catherine Zeta-Jones?

Why not both?

6) I'm down 1 point and I need a defensive rebound...do you go with Wes Unsled or Dennis Rodman?

Rodman

7) I'd rather have a root canal than watch...

a) baseball
b) horse racing
c) MMA
d) tennis
e) Fishing show
f) hockey

F, "what is Hockey?

Posted by: rickyroge

Posted by: lsskinsfan | May 2, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Santana Moss is experiencing painful shin splints, Thrash is out with an injury, Malcolm Kelley is recovering from microfracture surgery, and Devin Thomas is limited by hamstring problems. Meanwhile, the O-line is recovering from surgery and old age.

ARE and CCooley, however, had their best seasons *ever* last year yardage-wise.

The Snyder/petulent fan solution to this continuing dilemma? Fire Jason Campbell!!!!

Posted by: Alan4 | May 2, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 2, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Except for those of us who cancelled them...

Posted by: p1funk | May 2, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 2, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Except for those of us who cancelled them...

Posted by: p1funk *****

...and those of us living elswhere like me.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | May 2, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: peaceful2008 | May 2, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

JLC is a frickin' blogger.

He's not qualified to report (especially considering he's C-4ed every bridge into Redskins Park) and he's not qualified to analyze.

He's a BLOGGER - he hears some stuff, throws some crap on the wall to see what will stick and hopefully get a rise out of the likes of you and I so that we'll visit the site, and WaPo can make money off of the little rectangular ads flashing on the upper-right portions of your screen.

The "reporting" needs are filled by Jason Reid.

The real entertainment is when Cork comes up here like he's the "Keeper of the Sacred Journalistic Flame", and starts pouting when people make fun of his bromantic hero JLA.

(BTW - The words "Jenkins" and "qualified" should never appear in the same sentence.)

Posted by: p1funk | May 2, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Still waiting for todays weigh in for a future all pro LT Williams. You there JLC...

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 2, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Now that on-field work is underway, Campbell can put the uncertainty aside and focus on improving as a quarterback.

He is working on dropping back quicker and altering his throwing motion to improve his release time.

“I’m trying to be explosive under center and learn a technique of pushing the ball back at the end of my drop so that I’m able to release the ball quickly and not have as much of a windup,” Campbell said.****

Posted by: lsskinsfan | May 2, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

"Next level, is sport analysis. JLC is NOT qualified to analyze. Boswell, Jenkins or wise are qualified to do analysis. They can comment on the how and the why and the why not.Posted by: peaceful2008"

He's not? What's he need, a bigger keyboard or something?

He's not uniquely qualified like Mel Kiper, you mean?

Posted by: Samson151 | May 2, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | May 2, 2009 7:50 PM |

She's qualified for a few things.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 2, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

"Now he'll not have the "never the same system two years in a row" excuse to rely on. I am glad to hear he's working on his release, as all of Redskins nation was greying waiting for him to throw the D**n ball!Posted by: lsskinsfan"

He's slow because he's waiting for somebody to get open. He doesn't like to take chances. That's why his INTs are so low.

It's not the windup.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 2, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Except for those of us who cancelled them...

Posted by: p1funk *****

...and those of us living elswhere like me.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | May 2, 2009 7:39 PM

Thanks a lot, guys. Now he's going to start posting his lame advertisements again.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 2, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Club320 | May 2, 2009 3:12 PM

You don't want these seats. 50-yard-line is where most of the people with swine flu sit. It's like a waiting line to get on the boat that goes over the River Styx. That's why he's trying to scalp these tickets. He's not moving anywhere.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 2, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

... two atheltic pass catchers at TE workin' the seams and middle with santana streakin' deep

Posted by: altarkenton | May 2, 2009 4:02 PM

Mr. Kenton - a pleasant thought, indeed. Now if our deep streaker didn't have to worry about shin splints and hammies ...

Posted by: AntonChigurh | May 2, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lsskinsfan | May 2, 2009 8:05 PM

Next year, after Cnyder and Serrato have popped him, he'll have the "never in the same system three years in a row" excuse.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 2, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

I am no journalist and don't pretend to know what would be a better way to portray the issues facing the 'Skins. Some see this blogger as anti 'Skin and others don't. The same way some swallow Democratic bull excrement but go through the roof when fed Republican excrement. The facts reported in regards to injuries are very relavant as injuries and lack of depth were instrumental in our collapse last year.

If you want it fed to you with a smiles and a hug, I am sure you can find a blogger who will make you whole. If you want it bare bones with no mention of the "hopes and possibilities" of unproven players, you can find that as well. Me? I like it here.

Posted by: splitbill | May 2, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 2, 2009 8:23 PM

Dude, if you really think swine flu will be in the news 5 months from now when the season starts, then wait to buy your tix and you will be able to get a "any yardline" spot for $5 max.

Posted by: AntonChigurh | May 2, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Surely there is a rule against advertising on RI. This is just not the place for it.

Asinine ridiculous posts by people who are convinced they know what they are talking about are fine. Just don't try and sell me crap.

Posted by: will_ga | May 2, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

p1funk,

aaaaah, I meant Jenkins, our old FB. :)

Posted by: peaceful2008 | May 2, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AntonChigurh | May 2, 2009 8:37 PM |

You're right, Anton. We'll all be dead from it in 5 months and there won't be any news.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 2, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga | May 2, 2009 8:42 PM |

You're right, Will. If you click through below to the full rules they list a bunch of things you can't do:

You agree not to submit inappropriate content. Inappropriate content includes any content that:
...
contains advertising or solicitation of any kind
...

Anyway, I'll sell you my seats on the 10-yard-line, much cheaper, plus people with swine flu aren't on the 10. talent_evaluator@hotmail.com.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 2, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 2, 2009 8:26 PM

Are we supposed to reverse sublimate "Cnyder and Serrato" into "cyanide" and "serrated" as in devises for eliminating our FO miseries?

Posted by: AntonChigurh | May 2, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Maybe a little swine flu would be good for our O Line. Make 'em a bit more Hog like and all.

Posted by: splitbill | May 2, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

splitbill wrote:

"Some see this blogger as anti 'Skin and others don't. "

To me it is not that gray. This blogger clearly slants his writing with extra anti-Redskins zing at every turn. As I said, he is succeeding in getting us all riled up and commenting, so he is doing well for his career.

I am a Redskins fan. I would like to start my seasons in a semi-hopeful manner. I don't need to prepare for disappointment as I am quite experienced in the art of being disappointed by the Redskins since 1991

Posted by: peaceful2008 | May 2, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga | May 2, 2009 8:42 PM

The key is to be "on topic". You could post quotes from the Good Book on this blog and the blog SS would be after your azz.

Posted by: AntonChigurh | May 2, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

As I said, he is succeeding in getting us all riled up and commenting,

Posted by: peaceful2008 |
++++++
He's not getting my panties in a wad. The issues are the issues and if you want it in the form of a pep rally, you can find it. Pretty simple really. If you don't like the way he runs and writes on his blog, find one you agree with without all the drama.

Posted by: splitbill | May 2, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

It's not the windup.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 2, 2009 8:14 PM

I agree with you. But I would add that he's slow because he wants to make a play even though a standard 4 man front just busted through the O-line like it was an all-out blitz while leaving 7 defenders dropped back in coverage.

Mark Brunnell would have thrown it in the 20th row immediately, but I still prefer Campbell trying to make a play with the weak combo of Moss (double covered or injured), ARE, and Thrash instead of giving up as quickly another QB probably would.

Posted by: Alan4 | May 2, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

..."and the blog SS would be after your azz."

Yeah, I noticed our blogger's pet goes a little nuts if you are critical of Jasno. While I do believe its his job to point out mistakes the FO makes as well as questionable decisions, JLaC sometimes seems like he should be working for a small town paper covering high school sports and not the WaPo.

Posted by: will_ga | May 2, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Why do RI posters get more worked up by a Skins beat reporter than the fact that our once-proud franchise has had 6 head coaches, 10 starting QBs, and amassed a 66-78 regular season record since Y2K?

Personally, I think someone should be held accountable for that crappy body of work, and I'm glad Jasno publicly questions the FO decision-making that leads to these results.

It's amazing that some of you actually beleive an 11th starting QB or a 7th head coach will yield different results than we've seen over the past 9 years from these tried-and-failed knee-jerk responses to the ongoing problems on offense.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

- Albert Einstein

Posted by: Alan4 | May 2, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Just got the news about the cowboys from a source. Girl I was drinking with who knows people living next to the cowboys facility. The cowboy practices stadium has fallen down.

BEST DAY IN DC SPORTS EVER!
Nats-Win
Caps-Win
Cowboys practice facility go boom.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 2, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

BEST DAY IN DC SPORTS EVER!
Nats-Win
Caps-Win
Cowboys practice facility go boom.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 2, 2009 9:46 PM

Who will win more games this year, Nats or 'Skins?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 2, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

I don't have a problem with him being critical of the FO. There are no guarantees a franchise will be successful but when the FO makes the same mistakes year after year they deserve to be held accountable. Snyder counts on the loyalty of the fans to help bail him out in his annual offseason quest for glory.

No, my few issues with JLaC are his being slow to respond to news as it happens & when he gets facts wrong. Otherwise, I guess he does okay. After a decade of futility & occasional embarrassment, I welcome a critical eye on Dan/Vinny but do try and keep up with the events of the day.

Posted by: will_ga | May 2, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

BEST DAY IN DC SPORTS EVER!
Nats-Win
Caps-Win
Cowboys practice facility go boom.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 2, 2009 9:46 PM

Who will win more games this year, Nats or 'Skins?

Posted by: talent_evaluator
--------

Valid question. More precise if we use winning percentage.

Posted by: splitbill | May 2, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

More precise if we use winning percentage.

Posted by: splitbill | May 2, 2009 10:02 PM

The Nats are at .261 right now. Thats about the equivalent of the Redskins going 4-12. That would not be good at all.

Posted by: will_ga | May 2, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga | May 2, 2009 10:16 PM

Whereas for the Nats it's a breakthrough, a turning point, a ....... who cares?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 2, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Jack Kemp, Former GOP VP Candidate and Quarterback, Dies at 73.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Posted by: will_ga | May 2, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Jack Kemp, Former GOP VP Candidate and Quarterback, Dies at 73.

Posted by: will_ga | May 2, 2009 10:39 PM

That's too bad. The guy had a great sense of humor and a lot of grace. He described himself as "a bleeding heart conservative."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 2, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

JLC is one hundred percent right about O-line. He does not need confirmed or uncomfirmed sources to know that. The OL sucks - sucked last year, will suck this year.

Posted by: johnbear1 | May 2, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

There was some nasty injuries at that Cowboys camp collapse. A coach had his back broke, someone was impaled, and another has a compund fracture. I don't wish anyone those injuries, even if it is the swine of the NFL.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 2, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 2, 2009 8:19 PM

I'd personally like to thank TE, for keeping my post alive all day! I got a lot of positive inquiries. Mostly from Stub Hubb, but I digress. I am actually surprised by the heavy negativity TE. I am just a Skins fan reaching out to the Skins Community. I did not realize you were such a miserable human being and needed to carry a torch for something so igsinificant. But when you live on here I guess you cant see the Forest for the trees sometimes...

Posted by: Club320 | May 2, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

just got the news about the cowboys from a source. Girl I was drinking with who knows people living next to the cowboys facility. The cowboy practices stadium has fallen down.

BEST DAY IN DC SPORTS EVER!
Nats-Win
Caps-Win
Cowboys practice facility go boom.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 2, 2009 9:46 PM

Breaking news? I said that 3 1/2 hours ago. "Best Day Ever" is lame, check it and GO CAPS!

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 2, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

You should have stopped there & not included:

When you post ads like yours in a place not designed for ads you should expect a backlash. If you want to discuss the Redskins, feel free to post anytime but if you want to sell something go find the classifieds.

It is only thru the diligence of those such as TE protecting the integrity of RI that it remains one of the better Redskins blogs to be found anywhere.

Ok, ok maybe integrity is a bit much, but you get the point.

Posted by: will_ga | May 2, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

danny should fire peaceful. you're not supposed to be so obvious about it! get a new user ID and try again, but next time with a little subtlety.

Posted by: batigol85 | May 2, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Ok, ok maybe integrity is a bit much, but you get the point.

Posted by: will_ga | May 2, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Uh no, I dont get the point. Other than what is your concern? They are REDSKIN TIX. Not the ACAI Diet... Regardless. REDSKIN FANS that actually have an interest in the games have inquired. And I didnt STOP right there, because he has complained about it so consistently. This is not your Blog, friend. When they advertise get together at bars, or NCAA Brackets, or FFL. I think it falls in that vein. Not the AMWAY sell... Lighten up Junior...

Posted by: Club320 | May 2, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

According to the DMN, a 33-year-old man was impaled by an object, another person suffered a head injury, and another has an open leg fracture in addition to special teams coach DeCamillis having a broken back.

Yikes...I know they've had this bubble thing for years but why not build a more secure building? Its not like they can't afford it.

Posted by: will_ga | May 2, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

I seem to recall other people's posting ticket sales up here without a backlash of the sort that greeted Club 320 today... scratching my head at why that would be.

It doesn't bother me to see someone up here asking fellow Skins fans if they want to buy his tickets to Skins games. Especially a familiar name like Club 320. Just one man's opinion.

It's not like we're in any danger of this place becoming an anything-goes bazaar. I think we all face far more danger of having our brains boggled by the increasingly strained rationale "peaceful" is using to disparage one of the beat reporters.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 2, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

will, I just read a story that said the Cowboys' practice bubble only dates to 2003 -- Parcells' first season with them -- and cost them $4MM. Sounds like this was a freak storm event.

Horrible thing... I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 3, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Uh no, I dont get the point
Posted by: Club320

Ask yourself why selling even Redskins related material is not done on this blog. Most people who do so are scamming people. I'm not saying you are but that would be my first concern. There are reputable venues for disposing of unwanted tickets & items that have checks & balances to protect both buyers & sellers. RI is not such a place. Therefore, the concern is what scrutiny are you trying to avoid by doing this here? Hence, the backlash.

Posted by: will_ga | May 3, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga | May 3, 2009 12:32 AM

YADA. I sold the TIX, let it go. Wow...

Posted by: Club320 | May 3, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Damn club320. That was some weak shti you were taking by trying to hook up someone with tix if they wanted them. There are plenty of way for people to do biz that don't know each other like paypal or ebay that could be set up easily. Some people are just dbag aholes, don't sweat it at all.

Posted by: Posse81_83_84 | May 3, 2009 1:27 AM | Report abuse

It's not the windup.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 2, 2009 8:14 PM

I agree with your remark that Campbell doesn't like to take chances. He is much too risk adverse for a QB. I think a severe scolding by Gibbs after an interception has left him with traumatic psychic scars. I am not sure I agree with your wording. He has such a phobia about interceptions that he just doesn't wait for receivers to get open, he waits for them to get way open. The trouble with that of course is by then many times the D knows where his pass is going and is converging on the intended target and the D has also breached the OL bulwark. Nevertheless, sometimes one psychic scar can serve the purpose of overlaying another one. Perhaps the humiliation that the FO subjected Campbell to will goad him into taking a long hard look at himself in the mirror and seeing that his salvation lies in making his passing game more enterprising and dynamic.

Posted by: AntonChigurh | May 3, 2009 5:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 2, 2009 11:59 PM

Personally, I've got no beef with someone trying to move Redskins tix. I have a beef with anyone who puts the same post up here five times in an hour. Four times, okay. Five times? That's one too many. Sheesh.

And, I'd hardly describe our responses as "backlash." Backlash is what Truth, Greg, RedDMV, zjfr2, Cork attract. But if that's how you see it maybe I need to go back and read them again to realign my backlash detector. Nah, I think I'll just take your word for it.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 3, 2009 6:44 AM | Report abuse

I'd personally like to thank TE, for keeping my post alive all day! I did not realize you were such a miserable human being and needed to carry a torch for something so igsinificant. But when you live on here I guess you cant see the Forest for the trees sometimes...

Posted by: Club320 | May 2, 2009 11:29 PM

Happy to help out and glad you were able to sell the tix! No need to send me a comission or anything; I live to serve others. I know that with moving and all you were pretty busy and couldn't post your ad more than five times yesterday. As you get closer to moving, be sure to let us know if you have a refrigerator or stove you can give us a good price on.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 3, 2009 6:52 AM | Report abuse

antonechigurh: "think a severe scolding by Gibbs after an interception has left him with traumatic psychic scars. I am not sure I agree with your wording. He has such a phobia about interceptions that he just doesn't wait for receivers to get open, he waits for them to get way open. The trouble with that of course is by then many times the D knows where his pass is going and is converging on the intended target and the D has also breached the OL bulwark."

I wouldn't know about his emotional state, but Campbell's clearly going out of his way to avoid INTs. That's a good thing. If you accept the hoary coach's axiom that three-quarters of NFL games are lost by one team rather than 'won' by the other, then INTs are poison.

Gibbs certainly hated them. As does Parcells. And Belichick, and Cowher -- since most INTs leave the defense at a serious disadvantage.

If Campbell were operating purely from anxiety, however, he'd be rushing the pass. Or throwing it away. Instead he's taking the sack, or sometimes taking off and running.

I suspect Zorn wants him to get rid of it quicker. Obviously the coach doesn't want an INT, either. He just wants Campbell to unload before the DB can close.

Campbell's working on his release so he can get rid of the ball quicker -- allowing him to hesitate a bit longer.

These are not bad things in a QB. What would help Campbell would be the same thing he had at Auburn. A reliable big WR who could catch the ball in a crowd. You'd see his TD pass totals go right up.

Antonio Gates, that's who he needs. Maybe we could trade our #2 for next year plus the 4 for 2011... just kidding.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 3, 2009 7:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: AntonChigurh | May 3, 2009 5:20 AM

I question who was humiliated by the Cutler/Sanchez shabingus. Did it make Campbell look bad or did it make Cnyder/Serrato look foolish?

Campbell's resume is his on-field work which is evolving but so far has been so-so. These two, though, have just added one more episode to a consistent record of mediocre and impetuous bungling.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 3, 2009 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator
----------
Well put t_e. The more Li'l Dan says that he wants to win, the more rediculous it sounds since after a decade of impetuous bungling they are worse off than when Li'l Dan took over. His actions do not match his words.

Posted by: splitbill | May 3, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse

"The more Li'l Dan says that he wants to win, the more rediculous it sounds since after a decade of impetuous bungling they are worse off than when Li'l Dan took over. His actions do not match his words.Posted by: splitbill"

He does want to win. More than anything. That's what his actions suggest. The bloggers who suggest otherwise are mistaken.

He just doesn't know how.

He should, by now. He's certainly smart enough. Maybe it's the temperament he lacks. The anti-Obama: he's all drama.

Snyder and Jerry Jones: owners that are now trying to bull-rush their clubs into the Super Bowl. Usually doesn't work, does it?

But Dan's been a bull-rusher his entire career. Aggression, not calculation. He's a modern corporate stereotype.

Jack Kent Cooke wasn't a very nice man, but he was pretty good at running a sports franchise. You can be arrogant and egotistical and still be a good NFL owner.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 3, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

It's not the windup.

Posted by: Samson151 ********

Posted by: lsskinsfan | May 3, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Here is a quote from Jason Campbell.......

Campbell was worried that tweaking his technique would “feel awkward” at times during mini-camp.****

I am starting to think his apologists would argue with Campbell himself about his release and windup?

Posted by: lsskinsfan | May 3, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

"That must be why he's working on his wind up and release right? You apologists for JC never quit. He does WAIT for WR's to be wide open, which is too long to wait. The debate I suppose is whether you want a game manager as your QB, or a difference maker. I prefer a QB that takes measured risks, trying for big results. If you never take a chance, the Defenses in the NFL figure you out and cheat up and suffocate you. You must take calculated chances.Posted by: lsskinsfan"

Okay, the name-calling is slipping in, so let's slow this down a bit.

Campbell is working on speeding up his release. That's perfectly legit. It can only help. His windup isn't the reason he's taking sacks, however. He takes sacks because he's slow making the decision where to throw.

Why's he take so long? Because he is cautious. He doesn't want to risk throwing an INT.

If he improves his release, it will enable to take another half-second to wait for somebody to come open. It doesn't mean he'll get rid of the ball any faster.

Zorn wants him to make the decision more quickly. He obvious doesn't want an INT, either. But Zorn-coached QBs are more careful than most. And the evidence suggests they're willing to take sacks.

Under Saunders, Jason took 21 sacks, which projects out to 25 if he'd played all 16 games.

Zorn, meanwhile was coaching Matt Hasselbeck in Seattle. During the five seasons prior to Zorn's departure, Hasselbeck absorbed 33, 34, 24, 30, and 42 sacks. And in only 2 of those seasons did Hasselbeck throw as many passes as Campbell threw, in 08.

Interception-wise, Hasselbeck averaged 13 a season. That's probably a number that Zorn could live with if Jason takes a few more chances downfield. It's about what Jason would have had in 2007, under Al Saunders, if he'd played all the games.

A dramatic change in scheme like the one that happened from '07 to '08 slows down decision-making. For most QBs.

See? I didn't have to call you an apologist, or even an idiot.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 3, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse