Just how bad is this Redskins season?

In Sunday's Outlook section, Michael Richman, author of "The Redskins Encyclopedia," puts this lost season into perspective, concluding that it's the team's worst of the modern NFL era.

Redskins enthusiasts have a right to feel tormented about this season; you must go back half a century to find such a low point in the team's history. The Redskins won only five games from 1959 to 1961 and lost 23 straight between the 1960 and 1961 seasons. Their 1-12-1 record in 1961 stands as the franchise's all-time worst for winning percentage (.107). Now that was rock bottom.
Here are some memorable stats from 1961: The Redskins were the only team in the league to score fewer than 200 points, with 174, suffering three shutouts and posting single digits five times. Kicker John Aveni was the team's leading scorer, with 42 points, and made only five of 28 field goals (Where's Shaun Suisham -- cut this season after converting 18 of 21 field goals -- when you need him?) By dire comparison, the expansion Vikings won three games and scored 285 points, 111 more than the Redskins, and the Cowboys won four games in their second year of existence. Only a closing-day win over Dallas averted a winless season for Washington.
That pitiful showing came during the Redskins' ignominious quarter-century between 1946 and 1970: four winning seasons, zero playoff appearances and a 119-185-15 record (.397). The architect of the calamity was the iron-fisted George Preston Marshall, the Washington business wiz who founded the team in 1932, placed it in Boston and then moved it to the capital in 1937.

You can share your opinion and thoughts directly with Richman, who will chat at 11 a.m. Monday. Submit your questions now.

By Cindy Boren  |  January 1, 2010; 10:50 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hall: There's 'no holding back this last time around'
Next: Practice update: Thomas, Landry aren't participating

Comments

really? This season could have been worse. Did people really think we were going to be better than 6-10? If so, take off the redskins shades. HTTR

Posted by: popefrady | January 1, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I know it's crazy, but I really hope Eric Berry falls to us. He is a stud.
I know that would be the 3rd first-rounder used on a safety, which is crazy, but we would undoubtedly have the best tandem in the NFL.

As for Okung, who we will probably get, I am slightly worried about his size. He may be 6'8", he is only 300 pounds. I dont know how much of his speed and agility he would lose if forced to put on some pounds.

P.S.

Just read The Blind Side. Great book. Recommend it to all. I really wish we had drafted Oher now.

Posted by: mardiros | January 1, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I am not a big fan of Tracee Hamilton work but she hit it right on in today's article on Gray.

Posted by: jm220 | January 1, 2010 10:21 AM

I don't know about that one, jm220. My take:

Gray + Hamilton + Rooney Rule = power rankings

Posted by: League-Source | January 1, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I assume that Berry mailed it in last night because he did not look like that much of a beast against VT. We need to find some undrafted free agents, diamonds in the ruff to help this team. I was more impressed with Cody Grimm last night than Eric Berry. If Grimm goes undrafted we should sign him as a FA and give hime a shot at SS.

Posted by: m_p_holmes | January 1, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

DEFENSE:

Making the strongest part of the team stronger.

Thinking into the murky future and MARCH, I believe LaRON LANDRY will not be a REDSKIN next season. We have three solid SS already on the roster in HORTON, DOUGHTY, and MOORE.

The closest we have to a FS is LENDY HOLMES, who has potential, but is not proven by any means. FRED SMOOT, plue-e-e-eze !!!! We need a Free Agent such as NICK COLLINS for that slot. The offense must have the #5 pick.

DeANGELO HALL is not a shut-down cover corner. Until we have DUNTA ROBINSON or someone of his ilk, the defense will continue to bleed points. CARLOS ROGERS can do the job, but may not want to be in D.C. despite a new regime in SHANAHAN. He certainly didn't want to play for JERRY GRAY. That's perfectly obvious by his "play when it suits" mentality. All of you haters of "part-time" SHAWN SPRINGS and CHAMP BAILEY take note. In their prime level of play is what's needed opposite HALL. SMOOT is past his prime, and is no longer a cover corner. JUSTIN TRYON - maybe, and KEVIN BARNES - no. BYRON WESTBROOK is a SS in a CB body, not a cover guy.

KEITH BULLOCK and ANGELO CROWELL will both be available with no strings attached in MARCH to relieve BRIAN ORAKPO of SSLB duties. This must be done even if no other moves are made on the defense.

And we need a big tackle so people can't constantly double and triple big AL. BARRY COFIELD of the GIANTS gets my vote, but others could be just as good.

PUNTING and KICKING are set thanks to VINCENT CERRATO. Oh, and fire ST coach DANNY IDIOT. He's got GANO poping up kickoffs instead of driving them deep. What a clown.

I'll get offensive next time.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 1, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

1) At 220, you are a big fan indeed.
b) In the end, the Gray kerfluffle is sooooo inside baseball that I'm just not sure it's worth addressing. The bottom line is that Snyder has a couple of legitimate requirements when moving on past Zorn (they're not necessarily ones I agree with, but I still concede that they're legitimate): he wants a seasoned pro coach that will be perceived to have full authority. The list of minority coaches that can fill this role are very limited (Tony Dungy and Art Shell are the only two names I can think of, and one is unwilling and the other is tarnished).
So in my mind, the only minority interview is likely to be a token inteview, and I'm more interested in getting someone liike Mike Tomlin in front of an owner that might be open to the possibility of hiring him than I am in filling the numeric quota.
So why is Gray being evasive? If I had to speculate (or had a couple of hours to kill on a day off), I'd guess that the truth is that Gray and Blache have both been "interviewed" on multiple occasions over the past twelve months, after every listless offensive performance, after every jaw-dropping press conference, after the bizarre use of timeouts and challenges, after each feckless two-minute drill... okay, not after every one, because that's too many interviews. But VinnyDan clearly considered firing him at least twice, probably more, and I'm willing to bet that either -- or both -- Blache and Gray were offered the job straight up, and declined mainly because an in-season switch was unlikely to improve the team's fortunes.
But if the FPA called him and asked if he had interviewed for the job, he'd have to say 'yes, and I was offered the job', well, that sort of eliminates the racial bias argument. But you can see why the facts of the case might be a little more problematic than Tracee's article would indicate. Add the profootballtalk angst about whether pre-vacancy interviews count (because we want to encourage minority coaches, but not for interim or replacement jobs!!!!), and all of the sudden we need to get lawyers involved.
Which as you all know ALWAYS improves a process.
"No comment".

Posted by: daggar | January 1, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

It's a good thing Snidely has money to burn and a high salary cap, or this team would have had a winless decade...

All Gilbert needs now is a casino and a prostitution ring and he could run for Congress..

All aspirin's alike..

Posted by: frak | January 1, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

This season was a train wreck, not only on the field, but in the front office. Not only are the Skins a bad team, they are a bad organization functioning under the hand of a bad owner. Shall we recap just some of the front office blunders?

- throwing Soup under the bus during the offseason, trying to replace him, then embracing him when they couldn't land anyone else

- overpaying for Haynesworthless and Hall

- crappy draft. No o-linemen. Cody Glenn? Robert Henson? Eddie Williams?

- taking their one good draft pick (Orakpo) and moving him from the position where he is a beast to one that 'fit the scheme'

- suing the fans over season tickets

- undermining the head coach by bringing in a bingo caller as a consultant, stripping away his play calling role, never giving him a vote of confidence. basically turned to coach into a eunuch.

- Tying to control fans by barring them from bringing signs to the stadium, then lying about it and saying it was because of 'safety reasons'. Then they gave out signs to fans at the stadium with Geico advertisements on them. I guess those were safe

- Going back and repealing the 'no sign' rule and claiming that signs are now safe

- Blache deciding that he no longer will talk to the media despite the fact that it is mandated by the NFL that he do so

- Blache deciding to talk to the media one time....to kiss Snydey's ass after Riggo bu-fu'd him

- Interviewing a Zorn assistant for a non-vacant coaching job

- Denying that it happened, then admitting that it happened, then denying that it happened...then 'no comment'

- making a mockery of the Rooney Rule (whether you agree with the rule or not....you gotta admit they really did screw the pooch on that)

- all but announcing to the whole world that Shanny is going to be the next coach 3 weeks before the season is up

Did I leave anything out?

TRAIN WRECK!!!

Posted by: Monk81_Green28 | January 1, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Kind of knew this was very likely to happen ... way back ... its why we don't see scampbellscrambled and talent evaluator posting much ... makes the pill doubly hard to swallow ... ~smiles~

This is easily correctable. One need only look at the San Diego chargers, the NO Saints and Atl Falcons to see how quickly rapid turn-around can occur. The OWNER MUST STAY OUT OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS. (How many friends and WaPo reporters have told him this?) As in the past I again, very strongly recommend, that he focus on things he can succeed at. Like building ***a real stadium *** down in DC to match the NATs home. The local economy could use that kind of boost. Then? Gee Dan with the number of stadiums WashBalt has one could easily see the Olympic games coming to town!? That is something THIS OWNER may still be able to do. Helping himself and the city far more than messing around with an NFL roster for Pete's sake?

Posted by: periculum | January 1, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Mike Shanahan sans Elway and that O Line is just another disaster waiting to happen!

Do you really think that he understands the NFC East?

Three to five more years of mediocrity is what we are going to get…..

Posted by: dotto | January 1, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

This season has to be among the worst because there were high expectations followed by losses to winnless bottom feeders of the NFL, which has to mean that the Redskins are now as well as hard as that is to say (admission is the first step to recovery).

We have been poked fun of for years but there was some good expectations for this season given the upgraded defense and second year for the Z-Man. Then it fell apart. Before the season started we went after Cutler, tried to get Sanchez. When the season started we came out flat and basically couldnt play football. Then the game plan ws given to a a bingo caller and now the QB and the head coach were considered done, Cerrato gets fired during the season. The lack of O-line showed the lack of Snyders understanding of the game. I have never been so embarrased as a Redskin fan since my getting on the bandwagon in 1975, so to me this is the worst ever. We have become a joke around the leage and have no respect and very few think we can even change it around.

ROCK BOTTOM...But...

Maybe I drink too much beer in my Redskins/Nationals basement, but I believe Bruce Allen will get this turned around and I will continue to read about the Redskins daily, cant wait for the decisions to be made, the draft and next season. Thats what happens when you have Burgundy and Gold blood.

I am an optimist. Bruce Allen will fix this. We will win a Superbowl in this new decade! I will chear and yell 'BRUCE' like a Springsteen fan. We finally have a GM to make footall decisions.

Posted by: Gibbs4Pres | January 1, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I gotta submit that, while the front office wasn't as dysfunctional, the 1993 and 1994 seasons to me are the bottom of the modern era. The complete flameout under Petitbon, followed by the terrible first season with Norv. That was a quick bottoming out, from a playoff caliber team to worst in the NFC. This current team is bad and is dysfunctional in the front office, but I submit has better talent (and worse leadership, on and off the field). And when Norv allowed things to backslide to that 0-7 start in 1998, I was wondering what the Skins had gotten themselves into.

Still, I say those 1993/94 teams were probably worse than this. And I'm only a 20+ year fan.

Posted by: grounder | January 1, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Oh...I forgot one more thing the Front Office messed up on. Although getting rid of Cerrato was the right thing to do, the way it was done reflects the dysfunction of the organization.

We are supposed to believe that Cerrato resigned?

Uhhhh....how many people resign and continue to get paid until their contract runs out? Oh, and Cerrato resigned, and Snyder just so happened to have Bruce Allen on deck waiting in the wings just in case. Riiiiiiight.

Dan Snyder must think people are stupid. What an a-hole. An a-hole and a blatant liar. Wow...no wonder the team is where it is.

Posted by: Monk81_Green28 | January 1, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse