Justin Tryon: From nickel back to fourth string

Last season, defensive back Justin Tryon emerged as a key member of the Redskins' secondary. Tryon supplanted Fred Smoot as the nickel cornerback and was a difference-maker at times.

But as the Redskins prepare for their preseason opener Friday night against the Buffalo Bills, Tryon finds himself in a difficult position at fourth string. Although the depth chart is expected to change as the regular season draws closer, the third-year player has a long way to go to even earn a spot on the opening 53-man roster, people familiar with the situation say.

"I'm just going to stay silent until the end of camp," Tryon said. "I'm just going to work hard and let my play talk for me."

The Redskins selected Tryon from Arizona State in the fourth round (124th overall) of the 2008 draft. He struggled in coverage as a rookie during the preseason and primarily contributed on special teams that season.

Under the tutelage of former secondary coach Jerry Gray, Tryon seemed to take a step forward in 2009. He had his first career interception in a Week 12 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles and occasionally surprised in coverage. With the recent regime change in Ashburn, however, it appears Tryon is starting over again.

"The depth chart does matter because that's where you're at right now," safeties coach Steve Jackson said. "That's how everybody sees you. It's not permanent but it gives you the opportunity to make a move.

"It's just a starting point but it's where you are right now, and what he does from there is totally up to him. He's got the ability. He's shown that he can play and he can make plays. But it's totally up to him. He's just got to cut it loose and play."

By Jason Reid  |  August 11, 2010; 9:04 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Devin Thomas aims to move up Redskins' depth chart
Next: Donovan McNabb, Albert Haynesworth will play in preseason opener vs. Buffalo

Comments

Could you imagine Brian Mitchell in his prime lining up as a wildcat quarterback?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 11, 2010 8:17 AM

Opening game against the Lions, in the SB winning 91-92 season, Brian Mitchell tossed a 40 yarder to Ricky Sanders in the front corner of the endzone. I think the 'Skins ended up winning 45-0. One of 3 shutouts that season

Posted by: saltine182 | August 11, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid | August 11, 2010; 9:04 AM ET

It wasn't just Gray. Darrell Green worked with the guy in the off season, too, and had good things to say about him.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 11, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

No one cares about Tryon. He is average at best. How is Kevin Barnes doing? Will he live up to a 3rd round pick?

Posted by: DG11 | August 11, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Re: Depth Chart

Let the head games begin. I understand the depth chart to be a motivational training tool used by coaches, as opposed to a reflection of reality. It's all about spurring some guys to "make their move", and it is consistent with Shanny's overall theme and message of "competition at every position".

However, if the season begins with AH as a backup nose tackle, DT11 sharing a spot on the depth chart with someone who hasn't even participated in training camp, and Byron Westbrook/Ramzee Robinson making the team ahead of Tryon - that'll be the day that I need to wash pig droppings off the windshield of my car...

Posted by: p1funk | August 11, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Wow the 2008 draft class....the gift that keeps on taking away.....(except Fred Davis, I'm on board now so dont hate).

Posted by: chrislarry | August 11, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

@DG11 from most reports, Barnes is having a solid camp.

@p1funk I think Tyron's size hurts him in that he can't play outside. He's a slot guy, and with Carlos and Barnes having success in the slot, Tryon is in no man land. Tryon best bet is to show up on teams. He'll have his shot.

Posted by: TWISI | August 11, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 11, 2010 8:17 AM

Posted by: saltine182 | August 11, 2010 9:20 AM

I'd be interested to see his stats from the bodybag game...seeing him under center was quite a hoot...but the direct snaps he took in punt formation...man oh man...that was gold

Posted by: PlayAction | August 11, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

This depth chart is getting ridiculous. You would think that their play on the field (last season, this preseason) would count more than their play in practice, but we'll see. I have no idea who will make this roster, but as long as the coaches do, I guess that's all that matters.

Posted by: wisdom80 | August 11, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm, Davis and Cooley lining up as pass catchers at the same time. No wonder we don't hear too much complaining about our WRs.
Cooley crossing the LBs and Davis outside in the flat (or vice versa) w/ Moss on fly routes and Galloway (a bit long in the tooth, uh hunh) or some 3rd year rookie on flags and Portis banging rushers in the backfield. Gee whiz, that almost sounds like the ball could move down the field.
Now the big question is whether we can get it across the goal line.

Posted by: MrChili | August 11, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

-- 9:10 a.m. ET

Focus On the Run

During the Redskins’ first set of 11-on-11 action, the defense stepped up in the run game.

Fleet-footed Lorenzo Alexander came from the other side of the field to shove Larry Johnson on a sweep to the right.

Next play, H.B. Blades found a lane up the middle of the defense and stopped Willie Parker for no gain.
-- 9:15 a.m. ET

Focus On the Deep Ball

Still the first set of 11-on-11, but now the quarterbacks are trying to stretch the field.

Rex Grossman overthrows Joey Galloway on a deep sideline route. Anderson Russell impressed by speeding past Galloway to try to reach for the interception.

John Beck overthrew Devin Thomas on another deep route. Kareem Moore raced ahead of Thomas into position for an interception, but he could not make a twisting, over-the-shoulder catch.
-- 9:20 a.m. ET

Happy Returns

The Redskins worked through a series of punt return drills midway through practice.

First the emphasis was on punt coverage, with Justin Tryon and Kevin Barnes racing downfield to get into position for a tackle.

Punt returners included Phillip Buchanon, Terrence Austin and Brandon Banks.

Josh Bidwell displayed a booming leg on his series of punts, which included several kicks from the back of the end zone.

Posted by: TWISI | August 11, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: saltine182 | August 11, 2010 9:20 AM

3 shutouts in first 5 games. Our first 3 home games were shutouts. 102-0. Friggin ridiculous. That's a record that may never be broken.

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 11, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wisdom80 | August 11, 2010 9:42 AM

You have "no idea" and you call yourself wisdom? I'm a stupid horn noise and I can think of a few names: Davis, Orakpo, McNabb, Cooley, Hall, Haynesworth, Portis. There may be others. I'll get back to you later, wisdom.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 11, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | August 11, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I understand that he's probably not going to take Roger's spot at this point, and I understand the competition with Barnes.

It's the notion that Byron Westbrook and Ramzee Robinson are really ahead of Tryon that gets my eyes rolling.

But don't get me wrong, I appreciate the way the coaches are using the depth chart to get guys going...very different tone from years past when guys just seemed real comfortable and lost the sense that this sport is fundamentally a competition...go figure that when real games began, they didn't look too competitive...

Posted by: p1funk | August 11, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Now the big question is whether we can get it across the goal line.

Posted by: MrChili | August 11, 2010 9:45 AM

From the tweets the last couple of days, the Skin's offense has had their way with the defense in the red zone drills. Not sure how to feel about that.

Posted by: TWISI | August 11, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I'm a stupid horn noise

Posted by: beep-beep | August 11, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

thats too funny

Posted by: daddelonglegs | August 11, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Now the big question is whether we can get it across the goal line.

Posted by: MrChili | August 11, 2010 9:45 AM

Posted by: TWISI | August 11, 2010 10:01 AM

I saw that too, but found out later that the d was running Buffalo d calls off of cards during those drills. So, I would imagine it was pretty vanilla.

Still a good idea to get the o in the "habit" of scoring frequently, since they haven't spent much time in the end zone in recent years.

'sall good, as they say!

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 11, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Awesome...looks like we're already under Philly's skin:

Andy Reid doesn't want McNabb Redskins jerseys at his training camp
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 11, 2010 10:01 AM ET
Eagles coach Andy Reid noticed something rather distasteful out of the corner of his eye this morning: A Donovan McNabb Redskins jersey.

According to Tim McManus of Philadelphia Sports Daily, a fan named Jim Devlin was asked to take the jersey off by security. He did so quickly, and the security guard reportedly cited Reid as the reason he had to remove it. Devlin wasn't kicked out practice.

The fan also wore the jersey to a Phillies game the other night to "make a statement" about the Eagles trade and get a reaction from people.

So yeah, Devlin is about as big a jackass as you'd expect.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Now the big question is whether we can get it across the goal line.

Posted by: MrChili | August 11, 2010 9:45 AM

Posted by: TWISI | August 11, 2010 10:01 AM

Yep...I miss the Steeler/Ravens scrimmages...what happened to them? I know we moved so aren't close to the Steelers any longer, but why haven't they scrimmaged the Ravens lately?

Posted by: PlayAction | August 11, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | August 11, 2010 10:01 AM

Isn't the 1st team O running on the second team D?

Posted by: beep-beep | August 11, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | August 11, 2010 9:51 AM | Report a

Come on beepy, don't take everything so literally. Some things can be left unsaid, like McNabb, Trent, Moss, Landry, etc making the roster. I'm talking about the fringe CBs & WRs in particular. If you can tell me who's making the team from the depth chart, I'll give you my moniker.

Posted by: wisdom80 | August 11, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Haha...Andy Reid went all "Vinny-Ceratto" with the gestapo tactics.

It's gonna be funny to see the Philly powder-keg blow after the Skins go and beat them this year.

Posted by: p1funk | August 11, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wisdom80 | August 11, 2010 10:13 AM

A moniker with a number after it is worth about what you pay for it. How many shades of wisdom can there be?

Posted by: beep-beep | August 11, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Bwaaaaahhhhhaaaaahhhhaaaa!!

Another BUST for the still-decaying Washington Cadavers?!

Only the Deadskins would be dumb enough to draft a guy who's too small to play cornerback and then be all surprised and "gaspy" when a new regime kicks him to the curb.

Y'all wasted a 4th rounder on this Tryon guy (*gasp*). Didn't the Cadavers also give up a second rounder for Jason Taylor a couple years back for a 4-game rental (LMAO!!!) and use second rounders on Thomas and Kelly? Davis is a Fumble Machine (patent pending) so he's a BUST too. The Deadskins have no respect for decency and will never again be more than floormats in the NFC East. And y'all have the nerve to get upset when I rightfully point out that the Deadskins are nothing more than a glorified Div. III team?

Y'all MUST be on narcotics because only somebody in a stupefied state (and it's so obvious that all of you are) would continue to talk up a 4-12 team, given all the evidence in plain sight. Put the pipes down, you lifelong losers!

I see some of you troglodytes made it to Cowboys Insider (it's proper to bow when you read that name) to heckle greatness. Did you notice how good it smelled there?

Hell To The Deadskins!

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 11, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I'm a stupid short yellow bus horn noise

Posted by: beep-beep

Fixed it....

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

ita...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 11, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wisdom80 | August 11, 2010 9:42 AM

Who's play last year are you referring to? In case u don't remember, this team was 4-12 last year and sucked. Under the criteria of your post, only Fletcher and Orakpo should be guaranteed a roster spot. Everyone else is fair game.

Posted by: virtueandvice | August 11, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Andy Reid just pulled a Grade A, classless dbag move.

Looks like the Philadelphia in him is finally seeping out of his skin.

Posted by: psps23 | August 11, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

So yeah, Devlin is about as big a jackass as you'd expect.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2010 10:11 AM

Kind of an interesting concept. If the Skins had traded Darrell Green to the Eagles during, or just after, his prime...I would've been mad as hell. Don't know how I would've vented that frustration...but there is no way I would EVER purchase or wear his beagles jersey. I can certainly understand his frustration though. What is a more appropriate way to voice his displeasure with the trade? Wearing his old jersey wouldn't even hardly get noticed.

Posted by: MColeman51 | August 11, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Wisdom,

If beep-beep can predict the final roster from this current depth chart you'll give him a Monica?

Wow, that's confidence...

...oh wait, I must have mis-read that...sorry...

lol

Posted by: ThinkingMan | August 11, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Isn't the 1st team O running on the second team D?

Posted by: beep-beep | August 11, 2010 10:13 AM

All the QBs have had success throwing the ball into the end zone, so I'd imagine the first team defense getting scored on as well. Like stevek20147 said, the defense may be running the Bills defense. However, I think it bodes well for the Skins to have success scoring. I'm more concerned about that side of the ball.

Posted by: TWISI | August 11, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Awesome...looks like we're already under Philly's skin:

Andy Reid doesn't want McNabb Redskins jerseys at his training camp
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 11, 2010 10:01 AM ET

So yeah, Devlin is about as big a jackass as you'd expect.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2010 10:11 AM
------------------------------------------
You have to be very brave or very stupid to wear a Redskins jersey in Filthadelphia.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 11, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | August 11, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I'd say about 80 shades, or maybe I was just born in 1980...

Posted by: wisdom80 | August 11, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 11, 2010 10:18 AM

How's Bobby Carpenter working out for you?

Let me help you back home, home slice --

cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171764

Posted by: PlayAction | August 11, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 11, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

REDSKINS CAMP DIARY, AUGUST 11, 2010

Dear Diary

As we move ever closer to the first game of the pre-season Friday night, the coaching staff appears to be making sure that no one takes it lightly -- despite the fact that it will be the first meaningless game of what could be many more to follow this season.

I mean we’ve been hearing it all week about how everyone just needs to go all out and put on a good show -- by playing hard but not too hard -- if only to encourage fans to go out and buy up the rest of the club level tickets for this season, along with lots of AH92 jerseys, and those leftover hotdogs and stale beer we got from the Verizon Center.

So even though it’s only our first pre-season game, our coaches have been done a full scouting report on the Bills -- and developed a unique package of plays for both sides of the line that will:

1. Allow our fans to see just a hint of the real potential of our team, while also

2. Hiding our real capabilities and intentions until the start of the regular season on Sept. 13 at home against Dallas.

I don’t think I’m giving too much away when I say that fans should probably tune in early Friday night if they want to see any of our presumed starters this season -- since they won’t likely play for more than a series or two before turning things over to the backups and scrubs. All we’re really expecting from our starters Friday night is an inventory and dress out of their equipment -- just to make sure no one has lost anything yet.

Fans can probably also expect to see a few trick plays on Friday night that they’ll never see again when the real season starts. For example, we’ve been practicing a special “swinging gate” play that has become a bit of a Redskins tradition. We also have a new play where our running back grabs the ball, takes two steps to the left and falls down without so much as a hint of contact -- which is designed to spotlight CP26’s unique talents and capabilities.

On the other side of the line, we have a new play where AH92, our defensive nose tackle, falls down in the middle of a drive clutching his knee and gasping for air like a beached whale. After the team is forced to take a time out and the medics come in and wheel him off, he comes back later in the same series -- which leads many to wonder if he was only faking his earlier injury. We also have a great play where safety CR22 steps up and almost picks off a pass in mid-flight -- only to bobble and drop it.

If any of you are unavoidably delayed and miss the first half -- I wouldn’t even bother watching the second half, since anyone you see playing then probably won’t be here when the regular season rolls around.

See ya Friday!

Your BFF!!

Posted by: Vic1 | August 11, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Seems like Shanahan and company have put all the recent Cerrato draft picks that haven't proven themselves yet on notice (Thomas, Kelly, Tryon, Rinehart, Barnes, etc.). It is time to step it up or you'll be moving out in a few weeks.

Posted by: hapster | August 11, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | August 11, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 11, 2010 9:59 AM
------------------------------------------
Ramzee Robinson is a scrub and I have no idea why they would put Tryon behind that guy. Westbrook I can understand because he is a teams ace, but not Robinson. The team has a good problem at corner because they have several guys that can play. It's still not too late to try moving someone like Barnes to free safety to improve the coverage skills back there and help keep a talented player on the roster.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 11, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Bwaaaaahhhhhaaaaahhhhaaaa!!

Another BUST for the still-decaying Washington Cadavers?!

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 11, 2010 10:18 AM

First off, you act like you came up here with some huge insight. We know the havoc Vinny Cerrato created with his poor drafting so your comment about us being surprised or "gaspy" is ridiculous at best. More like "We expected it." Oh, and too small? One name I'm sure you guys know well..."Darrell Green." Ask Crackhead Irvine how he feels about him. Also, do you have reading comprehension issues? Failed 2nd grade 1 too many times did you? We all know about drafting the triplets in the 2nd and the Jason Taylor thing. Again, thanks Vinny. Where have you been? All you're doing is regurgitating what more than half this board has already said, just in a more childish way. As for Fred Davis, well, he has 0 fumbles in his NFL career. But that's the thing about you Dallas fans, if it ain't obvious you don't get it, if it is obvious you still don't get it. See ya week one you truckstop tranny.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 11, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

"rsh, I thought the same thing...it would be akin to wearing another teams shirt/hat to Yankee stadium....places are full of classless d-bags...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1"

Yeah real class acts those Red Sox fans...

Philly is overated as scary place for visiting fans. I wore Skins garb to 4 straight skins v eagles games at the old Vet and partied my face off tailgating with them pre-game. I'm still here.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 11, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

To wit TWISI

Inside the Red Zone

Recent Redskins practices have included a lengthy series of red zone drills midway through practice.

Here are some highlights from Wednesday's action:

* First play, Donovan McNabb McNabb rolled left and could not find an open receiver. As he scrambled, he pump faked several times, freezing Andre Carter twice. McNabb was able to pick up a few yards.
* Next play, McNabb dropped back with plenty of time in the pocket. He fired a pass to the back of the end zone to Roydell Williams for a touchdown. Williams was well-covered but he found a seam between defenders
* McNabb connected with Bobby Wade for another red zone touchdown. Wade caught the ball just in front of Phillip Buchanon, who was a step from knocking the ball away.
* Rex Grossman pump faked, then threw a floating, wobbly pass to Bobby Wade in the back of the end zone. Wade made a leaping grab for the touchdown.
* Grossman tossed a quick pass to rookie Dennis Morris across the middle. Chris Draft converged on him for the stop.
* Ryan Torain showed good awareness finding a small hole on a run to the left. Torain raced through the hole and weaved his way into the end zone for a score.
* At the 10-yard line, John Beck scrambled to the left and found open space. He raced to end zone – McNabb started cheering him – but had to cut inside of a hard-charging Robert Henson. It would have been a hard collision if Henson had not backed off.
* Red zone drills come to an end with Beck firing a quick pass to rookie Shay Hodge one-yard inside the end zone. Touchdown.

Posted by: Zeebs1 | August 11, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Is the Preseason game going to be televised on the NFLN?

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 11, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | August 11, 2010 10:01 AM

Isn't the 1st team O running on the second team D?

Posted by: beep-beep | August 11, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse
__________________________________________

According to Cooley, the first team O was actually running against the scout team D yesterday during red zone drills. As someone else noted, the D was running scripted Bills plays, but as not previously noted, it was the scout team running those plays. So I'd hope the offense was scoring at will, haha.

I'm still excited to see what the first team O does on Friday night though. One solid drive and I'll be happy. I actually expect McNabb to miss a few throws though - hopefully people won't freak out when it happens.

Posted by: --swb | August 11, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

No IH8

Posted by: Zeebs1 | August 11, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Maybe its b/c I have to be exsposed to J-E-T-S drama 24/7 but I am pumped for Hard Knocks this season (tonight HBO 10pm) Def lots of goings on at Jets camp...

Posted by: chrislarry | August 11, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Could Roydell williams step up as the # 2 receiver?

Which one of our little speedsters will make the team?

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 11, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Nevermind, yes IH8

Posted by: Zeebs1 | August 11, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | August 11, 2010 10:36 AM

I went to the Linc for the final regular season game in 2006, to clinch the playoffs. Fans were a nice as could be...was expecting our own Dead Tree Crew times 10...we also knocked dallas out of the playoffs by winning...philly fans were almost thanking me.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 11, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: virtueandvice | August 11, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Everyone is definitely fair game, but subbing in someone with worse in-game performances isn't going to improve a 4-12 team. My point is that I wouldn't put too much stock into practice. We're talking about PRACTICE (sorry I couldn't help it). 4-12 or not, Tryon had a better season than Barnes, Westbrook, & Robinson. Showing promise in practice is great, but I'm waiting until I see it in a game.

Posted by: wisdom80 | August 11, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Nevermind, yes IH8

Posted by: Zeebs1 | August 11, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Sweet, Guess I'll have to drag the old ball and chain to a sports bar Friday.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 11, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I'm a stupid short yellow bus horn noise

Posted by: beep-beep

Fixed it....

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2010 10:20 AM

Posted by: beep-beep | August 11, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Hard Knocks is the shizz. I got into it for the first time last season with the Bengals. Jets camp will definitely be fun to watch, but I feel like something will be missing without hearing Chad Ochocinco mouth off every episode.

Posted by: psps23 | August 11, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 11, 2010 10:18 AM

Like you said, "new regime". Feeling nervous about the season opener, aren't you?

Posted by: harrybalz | August 11, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

psp23, 85 will be replaced in the mouthing off department by Rex Ryan....

Posted by: chrislarry | August 11, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Did anybody follow-up on the free ticket promotion from the Redskins for this Friday's game that Steinberg posted on the Bog last week?

Posted by: psps23 | August 11, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

place your bets. How many years till Andy Reid is out for the Eagles?

Posted by: alex35332 | August 11, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

MrIrvin 88 [or...Dear Dooshcanoe],

Yeah, the Skins taking a chance on spending a second round pick for a proven veteran pro-bowl DE who had the first serious injury of his career (and that was a potentially life threatening one at that) during his stay in DC, when the starting veteran DE wnet down injured just after the start of camp...that certainly was stupid.

That "debacle" worked almost as well as a team who traded their 1st, 3rd, and 6th round picks

[which would be much more value ceded than a single second round one year and a sixth round pick the next, for those like you who are not quite bright enough to figure that out without annotation, MrIrvin88]

for a WR who hasn't yet topped 40 catches, 600 yards, or 7 TDs [though he DID match that 7 TD mark] in a season for the team that traded so much for him...

..so how 'bout them Dallas Cowboys?...

lol.

Note to the room; why is it every time I see a MrIrvin88 post, my mind cues up and plays the scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz singing, "If I Only Had a Brain..." as soon as I see his nickname?

Do you folks get that too?

Hmmm, I think we have a new way to greet MrIvin88, now...so post away, scarecrow88.

Posted by: ThinkingMan | August 11, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Re: MrIrvin88

Not sure why people keep responding to this buffoon. He comes back from his bingers with all these coke-induced delusions and posts them up here. He said it himself when he broke down sobbing and sniffling like beaten step-child at his HoF induction - he's an atrocious human being who has set an atrocious example in his life. Lucky for him "offensive pass interference" wasn't yet invented when he played, otherwise he would have never sniffed the Hall.

Re: Tryon v. Westbrook

There's no way Tryon gets cut and Westbrook makes the team. Westbrook is a scrub whose primary role on this team has been to simulate his older brother in practice before Eagle's games. Tryon has actually played CB in games and even has a pick. The only live game action I can recall from Westbrook was the special teams gaffe against the Panthers that helped us lose that game.

Posted by: p1funk | August 11, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | August 11, 2010 10:27 AM

Agreed...I would NEVER get a jersey bearing the colors of any of our NFC East rivals, no matter how much I loved the departed player. It's about the uniform at the end of the day...that's why I'm surprised at that sentiment, especially when so many misguided Philly fans thought McNabb was sooo much a part of the reason they haven't won a SB. Even Charles Barkley is on record saying he's now a Skins fan and that he's rooting for McNabb to do damage to the Eagles. It's a bit different since Barkley probably knows DMac really well on a personal level, but still pretty interesting considering the ties Barkley still has in that community...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

place your bets. How many years till Andy Reid is out for the Eagles?

Posted by: alex35332 | August 11, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Gone after this year's 6-10 season.

Philly fans will cry when McNabb is lofting TD's to Moss and Davis at Linc. Fin. Field.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 11, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

mistamayor

"I'm just going to stay silent until the end of camp," Tryon said. "I'm just going to work hard and let my play talk for me.."

Nice quote, but does he have any other options outside of stellar play?

NFL defenses need to be 3-4 solid corners deep, what with teams running 3-4 wide sets.

Tyron and K Barnes must be ready to play pass defense that's just as good as CR and D Hall.

Justin Tyron should just be quiet, make plays, and find a spot on special teams.

Otherwise, his only option will be which bus to take out of town.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 11, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

You know, when a newspaper cannot even spell the words in the headline correctly you know you are dealing with the K-Mart of the journalism world. Get a load of how they spelled nickle (nickel).

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 11, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Fan Asked To Take Off Redskins McNabb Jersey

by Tim McManus on Aug 11, 2010 | 12 comments

BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Something on the sideline of Eagles practice Wednesday morning garnered a lot of attention – and it had nothing to do with the play on the field.

A fan wearing a Donovan McNabb No. 5 Redskins jersey was asked to remove it. The reason? The fan said the security guard told him Andy Reid took notice when asking him to remove the jersey.

The fan, Jim Devlin, did not put up a fight when asked to take the jersey off, nor was he escorted from the practice field.

Devlin said he wore the same jersey at the Phillies game the other night. He does it to make a statement about the Eagles’ decision to move on from McNabb and to get reactions out of people.

This will blow up in the Eagles face.....

Book it!

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 11, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 11, 2010 11:14 AM |

And you know when you're criticizing spelling on a blog that you got nothing.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 11, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

More Beck love...

-- 10:15 a.m. ET

Play Of the Day

John Beck continued to take the bulk of reps in the latter part of practice.

Late in 11, Beck handed off to Ryan Torain, who flipped the ball back to Beck.

Flea flicker!

Beck stepped up in the pocket and lofted a deep throw to Anthony Armstrong 50 yards downfield.

Armstrong made a sensational grab ahead of Ramzee Robinson for the score.

The play, easily the best of the day, drew a loud ovation from fans.

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 11, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1"

Yeah real class acts those Red Sox fans...

Posted by: chrislarry | August 11, 2010 10:36 AM
-------------------------------------------
Wasn't there a game last year where the Eagles fans ruthlessly pummeled an opposing fan with snowballs? That's also the same place where they cheered when Michael Irvin hurt his neck. Maybe you found a pocket of decent Eagles fans but my fan detector registers a-hole for the bulk of them.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 11, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 11, 2010 11:14 AM |

And you know when you're criticizing spelling on a blog that you got nothing.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 11, 2010 11:17 AM
------------------------------------------
You're right. I got nothing. I still haven't forgiven RI for leaving us hanging with no news for a few weeks and then force feeding us 24-7 Haynesworth updates.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 11, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

place your bets. How many years till Andy Reid is out for the Eagles?

Posted by: alex35332 | August 11, 2010 10:56 AM

If the Redskins make the playoffs and the Eagles don't, he'll be done at the end of THIS season. That's guaranteed. How they pitch the idea of "rebuilding" with the exact same coach in place is beyond arrogant...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 11, 2010 11:21 AM

Agreed. Reid and his posse are not worth a plug nickle.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 11, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

@NonThinkingMan,

The facts stand. There are far too many picks that the Deadskins have NOTHING to show for on the field. It appears that you need to stand right behind the scarecrow to receive your brain. In fairness, that might not be your only problem. It's your heart and your eyes too. They refuse to let you believe that your team is trash. 4-12. That's not a misprint. 4-12. My sympathies to you and your family.

Roy Williams? You nitwit, he's still on the team and can/will be relied upon to produce FOR THE COWBOYS. This season. Can't say that about Jason Taylor, can you? The only thing Taylor had proven was that his career was headed for a serious downturn, hence his Hollywood flirtation with 'Dancing with The Stars' and his unceremonious dumping by Parcells. The irony? Taylor played on the Dolphins THE VERY NEXT YEAR with the player they picked in the second round courtesy of your Deadskins. Y'all are better at helping other teams stock their roster. 'Nuff said.

I can't teach you dopes everything. Read articles generated outside of Washington DC and you MIGHT learn something.

This DI board reeks!

HTTD!

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 11, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | August 11, 2010 10:47 AM

Speaking of the Short Bus, here is an awsome youtube video....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 11, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Hey MrIrvin.

Do you think that Redskins fans are unaware of Cerrato's mishandling of draft picks?

I tell you what, if the Redskins stomp out the Cowboys week 1, will you disappear?

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 11, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

This DI board reeks!

HTTD!

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 11, 2010 11:29 AM

Agreed. But only when you post.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 11, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | August 11, 2010 10:36 AM
-------------------------------------------

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 11, 2010 11:18 AM

My mom and stepdad went to an Eagles-Skins game back in 91/92 and got pelted with beer bottles.....

That being said, I'd still go to a game there because I doubt that will happen to me....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 11, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 11, 2010 11:36 AM

Let's hope not. I'm expecting that he'll come back here, acknowledge that he was "mistaken," apologize to everyone, eat a little crow, and then change his handle to Monk81.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 11, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Irvin88 = RI regular poster or lurker posing as some cowpole smoker fan

beep-beep = halo-wearing-cross-eyed-pissing-in-pants-special-needs-front-seat-short-bus-riding-bama

brown, alex, other Madden fiends: What's your take?

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Can we all agree to ignore Irvin now? I mean, if we all make a concentrated effort to NOT take the bait, he'll eventually go away. Or, if we're lucky, shoot himself in the face after this last effort to make himself relevant goes awry...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2010 11:42 AM

Careful with that stuff, Big Red. I've copied a bunch of that stuff you posted at Cork, TheTruth11, Scampbell1965, and Chia_Pet, and I'm prepared to use it on you. That stuff was so withering that even you would have to take a few days off to recover. Back off.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 11, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I'm just hoping MrIrvin has a cocaine overdose and dies in one of those horrendous suits.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 11, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 11, 2010 8:17 AM

Posted by: saltine182 | August 11, 2010 9:20 AM |

Didn't B-Mitch also return the opening KO for a TD?

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 11, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Vinny Cerrato---the Gift that keeps on Giving.

Posted by: TheCork | August 11, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Well at least Tryon gets more love on here then when they first drafted him. People really hahted him for no particular reason that i could determine, other then being undersized. Not sure if he sticks or not but i like the competition...

Posted by: Stu27 | August 11, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Can we all agree to ignore Irvin now?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2010 11:44 AM

Ok...I'm in...but one last thing...what happened to Bobby Carpenter...he was supposed to be da bomb?

Posted by: PlayAction | August 11, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | August 11, 2010 9:31 AM

Vinny Cerrato---the Gift that keeps on Giving.

Posted by: TheCork | August 11, 2010 11:50 AM

Personally, I'm going with chrislarry on this one. Fresh, original. Copy cat Cork stepped into a pile of cliche.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 11, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

@iHeartdallas,

Yes. I agree to disappear if the Deadskins win. Do you agree to post 'Deadskins suck!' (just once) if (actually when) my 'Boys win?

@beep-beep,

You must upwind of it. Trust me, it stinks whether I'm here or not.

@brownwood,

To ignore me is to ignore the truth, to ignore the facts. Deadskins stink. Carry on (as you have been), you blind, garbage-filled dumpster.

Alright, girls. I've imparted enough knowledge for today. Don't bait me into coming back as I must admit I find it hard to resist opening you all's eyes. Gotta work on that.

Cowboys - Super Bowl XLV winners, America's Team.

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 11, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

slow day on RI today eh?

A couple of weeks ago, on NFL Total Access, Jasno said "Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly likely won't even make the team."

I wonder how accurate his "likely" prediction is. I kinda get the feeling he was being a bit too enthusiastic with his wording

Posted by: --swb | August 11, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Priest's Sock Puppet Hears Confessions

A priest’s sock puppet has been caught secretly hearing confessions in a downtown Philadelphia Catholic Church.

The puppet, introduced to the church during a homily six years ago by Fr. Michael McBrien has recently become a mainstay of Mass. “Father Doozy” wears a Roman collar and speaks in a high pitched shrill voice and often reminds everyone not to eat too much candy.

The dozens of parishioners who said they’ve gone to confession over the past six years all said they all still like “Father Doozy” but feel he definitely crossed a line.

Posted by: SportsWriter | August 11, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

The Oakland Raiders have endured seven straight seasons of 10 or more losses. Owner Al Davis, however, said Tuesday in a rare radio interview that he believes the 2010 team will end that slump.

"I really liken this team a great deal to the team of 1980, in which the great Jim Plunkett pulled us out of the doldrums, took us to the Super Bowl as a wild card, and we had so many great players who eventually made their way into the Hall of Fame," Davis said in an interview with Sirius NFL Radio.

He said he sees some Plunkett in Jason Campbell, his new starting quarterback.

"I see this young Jason Campbell as a football player like I saw Jim Plunkett. He has everything. He was 13-0 in college, at Auburn, he can throw up the field, he can run, he's big, he's smart," Davis said. "I really predict great things for him. I hope he doesn't let me down. I don't think he will."

Plunkett led the Raiders to two Super Bowl victories and was named the Super Bowl MVP in 1980.

Campbell, acquired in a trade with the Washington Redskins in the offseason, started 52 games for Washington since being a first-round pick in 2005. He has thrown for 55 touchdowns, 38 interceptions and has a passer rating of 82.3 in his career.

He is coming off his best season, completing 64.5 percent of his passes with 20 touchdowns, 15 interceptions and a passer rating of 86.4. But the Redskins went 4-12 last season.

Davis specifically mentioned new offensive coordinator Hue Jackson as another reason he believes the Raiders will turn things around this season.

Jackson helped Joe Flacco make it to the playoffs in his first two seasons in the NFL with the Ravens and also worked with Carson Palmer as the offensive coordinator at USC.

"We have a bright new young offensive coordinator in Hue Jackson, and I just have great hopes for this young team," Davis said. "It's a very young team, but I do have hopes for it."

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 11, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Red, I had myself a Madden 11 marathon yesterday...so far so good in my book. They force you to use the analog sticks now (I never broke the habit of using the control pad to move my players) so that's a big adjustment for me, but surprisingly the "no more sprint button" thing is actually an improvement. Seems like the animations are much smoother too.

I can't wait to delve into the franchise mode though...I'm a bit peeved that the coaches don't boost player attributes like they did last year, especially now that we have good coaches. At first glance, it kinda seems like they half-assed the franchise mode altogether.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

look, if tryon is a legit player, which from what ive seen he's okay and he's having trouble making the team, that can only be a good thing, if tryon is good and barnes is better, than that's great, we have a better player at the position regardless of how good tryon is or isn't

im looking forward to watching the secondary this year, big things, , let's see it laron, this is your year laron, there's nothing worse than wasted talent laron

Posted by: retroskins14 | August 11, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm telling you I would most definitely go to a Eagles game, and even though I don't even do it, I would be DECKED out in 'skins gear! Sh*t I'd even wear the hog sash with the pig nose AND DARE one of them bastards to lay a finger on me.

None of that "Don't wear opposing team gear at Eagles games, unless..." doesn't scare me in the least. Like Eagles fans are the only ones that get crazy and violent.

Mf'ers scare too easily these days. Grow a set, put a f-ing 'skins jersey on, go the Eagles stadium, sit down, and root your damn lungs out. You'll feel good about yourself.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction

Traded bust for bust with the Rams for OL Alex Barron.

Posted by: SMACK1 | August 11, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | August 11, 2010 11:51 AM
------------------------------------------
You have a short memory don't you? When Tryon was first drafted he was just plain horrible. He was getting beat every practice and every preseason game. People hated his play, not him personally. He's done a nice job of developing. I am rotting for the guy because he overcame some long odds to keep his roster spot and it would be a shame for him to fall back now. Having said that, if he's not in the top five corners, he's going to have to look for a job elsewhere.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 11, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2010 12:07 PM
------------------------------------------
Which, from my earlier statement boils it down to a question of whether you are brave or stupid. You decide.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 11, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Traded bust for bust with the Rams for OL Alex Barron.

Posted by: SMACK1 | August 11, 2010 12:07 PM

Thanks Smack...that was supposed to be rhetorical though...for our new friend that we aren't talking about anymore.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 11, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

brown, I like not having a turbo speed button. It makes you focus more on being elusive (jukes, cuts, breaking tackles).

I like the "Gameflow" feature too. Since I only use a few plays, it's nice to have an accelerated play clock and it speeds the game up to.

I was told that if you have a headset and if you're in 2-player mode, the offensive coordinator speaks to you through the headset! That ish is nuts right there!

You're right about the franchise mode. No upgrades. Almost like they're trying to phase it out.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

"Justin Tryon: From nickle back to fourth string"

For consistency, shouldn't the above read "From nickle beck to forth strong".

Posted by: Samson151 | August 11, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

RSH that's why they call it developing it takes time...

Posted by: Stu27 | August 11, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

from cbssports.com

Aug 11 12:20 ET

S Chris Horton (groin) won't play vs. Buffalo on Friday, and QB Richard Bartel (groin) is unlikely to play. But S LaRon Landry (toe), who sat out the full-team work Wednesday morning, will play as will DL Albert Haynesworth

Posted by: TWISI | August 11, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

DUUUUUUUDEZ!

SUPER COOL to watch a WASHINGTON REDSKINS FAN post as a DALLAS COWBOYS fan AND all of the IDIOTS RESPONDED.

Nice play there beeps, keep up the conversation.

Posted by: rob_in_MD | August 11, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

beep-beep

"Fixed by the Bama who spent so much time on the short bus that he has the horn as the ring tone on his phone."

I'm stealing this.

I mean, I never thought to use a sound I recognized from my school days as a ring tone.

I sat up front on the short bus, right behind rotfrau who told me that was my place.

The slow learning dummy school I went to had Patrick Star as it's mascot, so the football team had pink stars on the sides of it's helmets.

The ring tone will remind me of happier times.

Thanks, again.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 11, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Red, I can tell you right now that if they phase out the franchise mode, I'll be done with Madden. I spend about 99% of my Madden time in franchise mode and for me the most fun comes from the trading/drafting/player progression features that allow you run your favorite team the way you want. (God knows it got me thru the Vinny regime...) Playing it any other way is just setting us back to playing in the arcade or playing a demo, IMO.

But you're right on ditching the turbo...at first I hated the idea, but now having played it I don't know why they never did it this way before. It's way more fun to concentrate on the cutting and juking and it make the game look even more real.

I'm waiting to learn the Redskins playbook before I mess with the Gameflow though...it's a good idea in theory, but I think that's geared more toward the casual fan than the die-hards like us who actually learn the playbook, set audibles, and have an actual system to their playcalling. I'll take an extra 15 mins to play the game if it means I don't have to leave the gameplan up to the computer.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

"Last season, defensive back Justin Tryon emerged as a key member of the Redskins' secondary."

More like a key reason the team gave up so many points. Tryon has been burned more times than Fire Marshal Bill.

Remember that game against the Rams back in 2008, when the Redskins were about to win, but Tryon wiffed on his coverage and the Rams receiver raced for 65 yard TD to win the game? When Tryon finally leaves the Redskins, for the Arena League where he belongs, that will be a memory of him I'll cherish forever.

Posted by: tkoho | August 11, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

It has nothing to do with being brave, RSH.

It's more like I'm not going to be intimidated by some a**hole fans.

I haven't been scared since I had to fight Chris Harris at recess in the 4th grade.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 11, 2010 12:17 PM

I was brave and stupid

Posted by: PlayAction | August 11, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tkoho | August 11, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

That was Leigh Torrence who got burned against StL.

Tryon wishes he were Leigh Torrence.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 11, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Wonder how many Dbacks we end up carrying, 4 safeties, four corners?

Posted by: Stu27 | August 11, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

RSH, nut up guy, jeesh. Like I said been many times, had blast, wasn't harmed. Great rivalry NFL exp. Also the Linc is waaay different than the Vet in terms of crowd etc.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 11, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2010 12:33 PM

You threw down with Chris Harris too? He was an ahole!

Posted by: PlayAction | August 11, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

It has nothing to do with being brave, RSH.

It's more like I'm not going to be intimidated by some a**hole fans.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2010 12:33 PM |

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 11, 2010 12:17 PM

I love the Blog-Fonzies. Breaking bad on a blog. Really? I am sure the toughest thing most of these types do all day is hit the refresh button or trek upstairs from their cellar living quarters in their mom's house to sneak leftovers out of the 'fridge.

Taking people's toughness to task on a blog? Dude, that's weaker than Joe Theisman's leg.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 11, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 11, 2010 12:28 PM

Thanks MistaMoe.

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 11, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

i know this is yesterday's news and guys may have commented on this, but i'm getting worried about our o-line again. it looked (theoretically) great for a few weeks there in the offseason. then mike williams "went down", and now jamal brown's hip....

ugh... is this hip going to be a chronic problem?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | August 11, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

CBs - 5?
S - 4
LBs - 9?
DL - 8?
OL - 8/9?
TE - 3
RBs - 4
WR - 5
QB - 2/3
ST - 3

If this is right, then wouldn't tryon make the team? DHall, CR22, Buchanan, Barnes, Tryon.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 11, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I Doughty Reid makes the final cut this year.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 11, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

brown, I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the Gameflow feature calls plays for you. From what I understand that since you have the ability to really scout your opponents you then take that gameplan and your coaches execute your plays for you in the game, just like you are the QB, you are able to either accept their play or audible out of it accordingly. So in a way it's almost like "Ask Madden" but more realistic.

Also read that you can take the auto turbo off. I'm not sure if I want to do it, even if you can.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 11, 2010 12:41 PM

Great insult!

Posted by: HugeErection | August 11, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 11, 2010 12:41 PM

Great insult!

Posted by: HugeErection | August 11, 2010 12:50 PM |

Thanks huge. I am chock-full of them. Well, I am chock-full of something, that's for sure.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 11, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

stu27

"Wonder how many Dbacks we end up carrying, 4 safeties, four corners?"

Seeing how we face so many solid passing teams, I'd carry more corners than safeties.

In fact, seeing how converting defensive players to new positions seems to be a theme, I'd convert K Barnes to FS knowing I'd have a guy with cover skills backing up K Moore.

This would create:

K Moore

C Horton

K Barnes

R Doughty

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 11, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 11, 2010 12:54 PM

Now that's why they created the term 'No Homo'.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 11, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

CBs - 5?
S - 4
LBs - 9?
DL - 8?
OL - 8/9?
TE - 3
RBs - 4
WR - 5
QB - 2/3
ST - 3

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 11, 2010 12:45 PM
------------------------------------------
Ramzee Robinson and Westbrook are currently ahead of him on the depth chart. That makes it a three way race for that last roster spot. This is why I say moving Barnes to free safety might be a good call. It will allow them to keep their best coverage guys.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 11, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

do they have editors "nickle back"

Posted by: nativedc | August 11, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 11, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Mom, meatloaf!!!!

Posted by: rupertpupkin | August 11, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe Rogers has been playing FS. I think the DBs will end up having 11 on the active roster w/ both Westbrook and Holmes playing primarily on teams.

Posted by: TWISI | August 11, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Moe, looks good. I personally hate trying to convert players to a new position, their is such a huge difference from being a back peddling corner to a read and react safety. The only person we had on our team that I realistically thought could make that switch was S Springs, due to his overall ability. I think Barnes might be a bit to green for a move like that, but out of our current personnel he would be best suited for that move in the future dudes a hit stick.

I like Hasletts scheme my question is who is our oj Atogwe? Or do we not have one and will have to look to other positions on the field for the production he brought to stlouie.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 11, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | August 11, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

This is where im starting to get confused. Are we using Rogers as a FS casue ive heard they would employ him and Barnes as safties. But lately the talk has been that Rogers would be the nickle corner with Hall and PB as the other corners??

Posted by: Stu27 | August 11, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth post...coming right up!

Posted by: PlayAction | August 11, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

JR got it right. Maybe Mr. Potatoe Head is their new "nickle back" head line riter. A pennie for your thoughts, Washington Past.

Posted by: dcc1968 | August 11, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Sirius NFL radio is at Skins camp this afternoon and it's been a heck of a show. Jim Miller and host say they would put money on at least 8 wins for the Skins, acknowledging that yes, everyone's optimistic at this point in all NFL camps, almost to a fault. But there's serious buzz about the Skins' camp...by far, the most improved team in the NFC East. Shanahan is being smart by going full speed but not full-contact tackling, thus avoiding player injury but still working on quickness and explosion. Haslett just had a great segment. Can't wait until Friday! HAIL!

Posted by: aaronharman | August 11, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

@MrIrvin88:
It's funny how you Cowgirls always like to start the smack talking. I've lived in DMV my whole life and not once have I come across a Cowgirl fan who didn't start the talk. Are you really trying to bring up the past? Really? You really want to bring a knife to a gun fight? When's the last time you made it past the second round? Exactly. Oh, yeah, you could make the same comparison to us... But wouldn't that be comparing the Cowgirls to a bunch of "Cadavers" as you put it? Stay classy coke-head.

Posted by: CYA_Coach | August 11, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

DUUUUUUUDEZ!

Nice play there beeps, keep up the conversation.
Posted by: Rob_In_MD
______________________

Is it cool? Cool being a pathetic dbag? Yeah, I can see that... WAPO looser who has two separate accounts just to antagonize readers. Yeah, we're idiots because someone decided to create another account, on the WASHINGTON POST, as a Cowgirl, and we're supposed to see through that? You know what's cool, not being an a$$. You know what's not cool? being a Cowgirl fan who lives in DMV. Said it before and I'll say it again: If you're a Cowgirl fan and live in DMV, you're nothing but a cancer. Stay out of our stadium and go play in traffic.

Posted by: CYA_Coach | August 11, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

"Re: MrIrvin88
...Not sure why people keep responding to this buffoon...
Posted by: p1funk | August 11, 2010 11:00 AM"

Can't speak for anyone else p1funk,

...but for me...I grew up with a developmentally challenged cousin...we always encouraged him to play along and try his best.

So for me dealing with "scarecrow88" is the same kind of thing.

I just don't discriminate against the challenged. :)

Posted by: ThinkingMan | August 11, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

barnes and tryon will make the team,d. hall if he didnt have good hands for making interceptions definitely would be on the bubble. barnes is a hard hitter".

Posted by: wathu19 | August 11, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse