Zorn: Portis Still a Game-Time Decision

Clinton Portis did not take part in practice, but Ladell Betts did return in a limited role, Coach Jim Zorn said. Portis, who is recovering from a second-degree MCL sprain, is not expected to practice until Friday, Zorn said. Betts is returning from a knee sprain as well.

Zorn said he let out some "hip-hip hoorays" today because Portis was able to straighten his left leg. But Zorn added that it would be "foolish" to play Portis if he is only 60-70 percent, and that the team will not know whether he can play until he warms up Sunday night before the game. "The proof will be in how he warms up," Zorn said. Portis has been fitted for a knee brace, but Zorn said that he could opt not to wear it should he play.

"He wants to be back and he's working hard to be back," Zorn said.

If Portis cannot play, Zorn's preference would be to start Betts, but Betts said he is still working through his injury. "It's still up in the air whether I can play or not," Betts said after practice. If Betts cannot go, Shaun Alexander is next in line. Alexander, who has been with the team for a month, is still adapting to the running scheme, which is dramatically different from what he is used to in Seattle.

"Our cuts are a little different," Zorn said.

Rock Cartwright remains in line for a bigger role should either Portis or Betts be out.

WR Santana Moss, who is nursing a hamstring problem, took part in a limited role. Zorn said Moss is featured in the game plan and expects him to play, saying he was "very impressive," in practice today.

Corner Shawn Springs (calf) missed practice again but will practice either Thursday or Friday. He is scheduled to play Sunday and Springs has told me for quite some time that he will be ready. End Jason Taylor (calf) is back looking more like his old self, Zorn said. "He's revving it up," Zorn said. "He's participating at full speed."

Zorn said linebacker Marcus Washington is regaining strength in his shoulder, but "is not out of the woods yet," in terms of being able to play Sunday. Tackle Chris Samuels (knee) continues to practice and play through pain, and is intent on facing Dallas.

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 12, 2008; 2:51 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Afternoon Practice Update
Next: Phillips Knows Season Is on the Line

Comments

I hope Portis is FIRST on the field...

Posted by: skinzophrenic | November 12, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

CP is tough as nails...good luck to him...

LT is a sissy who sat out the playoffs with the same issue...

Posted by: carsonspence | November 12, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

portis will play-full blowing smoke mode to try to put doubt in DallASS's mind-

Posted by: wrinkled | November 12, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

So Springs had missed about 20% of his games with more being in the last 3 years. Not exactly Mr. Durability. Wish I could have a 4 day work week every week.

Posted by: JasonLaTempleton | November 12, 2008 3:44 PM

I also have a feeling our D is gonna have a hell of a game on Sunday night. Healthy as we have been and they know they have to step it up for CP's possible absence. Time for Carter and Taylor to pad those sack numbers with a Phillip Daniels 4 sack type performance. And a hat trick from Cooley on offense from a few years ago.

Posted by: JasonLaTempleton | November 12, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Have no fear Jason Taylor is here.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 12, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Wish I could have a 4 day work week every week.

Posted by: JasonLaTempleton | November 12, 2008 3:44 PM

If you were as good at your work as Springs is at his, any employer would be glad to have you four days a week.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 12, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I can't tell you guys how amped I am for this game......Sunday night can't get here soon enough...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 12, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

No reports on Kelly huh? JLC's favored "bust", and now reports on how he looked at practice?

Posted by: craig2 | November 12, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 12, 2008 3:56 PM

Greg, Have you settled on what you're going to do with your family when you come to town?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 12, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

This is going to be a very interesting game..

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 12, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I think Jason Taylor is going to have a big day. Maybe 3 sacks.

Posted by: TheJury | November 12, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Springs pockets straight.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 12, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Wish I could have a 4 day work week every week.

Posted by: JasonLaTempleton | November 12, 2008 3:44 PM

Based on blog hours logged, I'm fairly confident that peeps up here "work" four day weeks.

I barfed up my Montgomery thoughts after the beep beep in the previous thread.

Bottom line: It has been an experiment, not unlike the Todd Wade experiment, that just does not look it will continue to trend upward.

Posted by: dcsween | November 12, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

BeantownGreg, you also should be getting amped for the Building Museum.

Posted by: dcsween | November 12, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 12, 2008 3:56 PM |

I feel the same way. And my wife informed me that Sunday night she and a group of mothers at my daughter's school have organized a potluck supper. She'll understand if I don't go, but she "would like me to go."

I feel like taking my daughter out of that school if the mothers are so brain dead as to have a social event during any Redskins game, much less the Dallas game. I think it's rude even to phone anyone's house during a Redskins game, but a potluck supper is worse than a loud fart in an elevator.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 12, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Just for the record, we are 8-2 in the week after the bye over the last 10 seasons prior to this one

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 12, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure I slept with Jessica Simpson last night...not sure, however either way I left Theodore Romosapien a message to that affect...

Posted by: P00P | November 12, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

te, I'm going to abandon them, and drive myself to Fedex on Friday morning, and just drink it all in......

The Zoo, Smithsonian, couple Museums, stuff like that....we're staying with some friends who live 22 miles from the stadium. I'm thinking we'd leave at 4 to drive to the game....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 12, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

t_e, dude, that sucks, we all know what "understand if I don't go" and "would like me to go." really means. Go to the dinner or else, MOMMA WON'T BE HAPPY!

So make sure it's worth it. Don't just watch the game, but GO OUT TO A GREAT BAR and watch the game, make it worth it!

She's gonna be mad at you, but at least you get to see the game!

Posted by: craig2 | November 12, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

From theredskinsblog:

Also back at practice: Malcolm Kelly. As I watched him run his routes, I was reminded of how impressive he seemed at training camp, and Fred Smoot echoed my thoughts afterward. “He looked good — really good. He ain’t looked that good since the summer,” he said. Kelly has this loping long stride that looks completely different from anyone else out there; hopefully he’ll get to break it out in the game this week.

Posted by: craig2 | November 12, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I post the Redskins schedule on the refrigerator. She knows not to schedule anything during those hours. Dude, you got to put your foot down!!!

Posted by: TheJury | November 12, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

TE,
An idea. Go buy a portable (smallish) TV from bestbuy, go, plug it in and turn the game on, satisfy the lady and be a hero to any other man who is forced into the situation.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 12, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Due to the current economic situation, the players have been asked to help out. so it was nice of Fred to take the time out from his FedEx route to answer some questions.

Posted by: daggar | November 12, 2008 9:42 AM

The Smoot is stranger than fiction:

Posted by: dcsween | November 12, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Beantown- Is that a Bethesda-ish 22 miles, or a Springfield-ish 22 miles. Makes a big difference for the drive to FedEx...

Posted by: 4-12 | November 12, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Woo-hoo Kelly! Man that is tantalizing.

I hold the high cards on the potluck. If I don't cook the food she won't have anything to take. The only reason she even knows where the kitchen is is because she has to walk through it to get to her car. So, if she wants to take food to that potluck, I'm watching the game.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 12, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

t_e_, Bluetooth enabled iPod ... with radio remote. Sonny, Sam, and talent evaluator (with an occasional outburst of Turrette's Syndrome or hip hip hurray). Tell people its a new hearing aid. It'll work.

Posted by: dcsween | November 12, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

4-12 - which one is worse these days, the Bethesda or Springfield 22 miles?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 12, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

that's the way to do it t_e, I like the way you think!

Posted by: craig2 | November 12, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

JohnDinHouston,
John it all depends on if you prefer to drive like an idiot or a crazy person. Which is why I don't own a car.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 12, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | November 12, 2008 4:14 PM

I was thinking just to take my 42" Sony and ask the hostess, "Here's my pot of food. Where's the cable?"

I'll be interested to hear (hear, not see) how many other men show up for this thing. This is the kind of school (the Obamas are considering it for their kids) where most of the parents only know when it's election season, not football season.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 12, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 12, 2008 4:17 PM

Sounds like my wife......If I ever need to hide something from her I just put it underneath the vaccum cleaner. It will never be found by her there.....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 12, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I got a similar setup with my gf, I make my awsome chili for the game, she cant say anything about me watching said game. Especally since I plan on buying a new TV this weekend.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 12, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

from the 'Boys blog(about getting R. Williams more involved):

"We'll see the coverages they play and who's open," Romo said. "If Roy is open, he will get the ball. If someone else is open, they'll get the ball. Coverages will dictate stuff."

I was thinking as I was reading this "cool, then you'll just have to hold onto the ball until our line get's there to take it from you".

Posted by: craig2 | November 12, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

4-12, Falls Church, VA, 22ish...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 12, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

John- From Bethesda, it's take Metro 10 times outta 10. At least from Virginia, you've got some options.

Posted by: 4-12 | November 12, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

T_E

Loud flatulance is hilarious ANYTIME! Thank you Terrence & Phillip.

You should definitely make your daughter stay to watch the game, though. What are we? Heathens?

Long family history of watching the game here... New wifey agrees, she just roots for the wrong team. I told her s'okay, I'll send her Ice Tea in purgatory...I hope they give us visitation...

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 12, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I find that hard to believe TE, how can anyone be serious about Politics in this reagon with out being serious about the skins.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 12, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Come on CP!

Posted by: rachel216 | November 12, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Any suggestions for getting to the Green Parking area from Falls Church, VA??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 12, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Greg, maybe 22 as the crow flies, but that's a long 22 ... also, best plan is to take the Metro (start on orange in Falls Church and change to blue getting off at Morgan Blvd). Rather than the Beltway, think about driving through the City, past RFK, and out Central Avenue).

"Game time decision" ... has Zorn EVER said that about a guy and then the guy actually plays in that game? Seems like no, i.e., "game time decision" from Zorn's mouth ends up meaning "not playing."

Posted by: dcsween | November 12, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | November 12, 2008 4:28 PM

These people are hard core politicoes. Discussion will be about the cabinet. Then about homes on Martha's Vineyard. After that, they'll probably get around to griping about the teachers and whether they give too much or too little homework.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 12, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

dc, how far away does getting off at Morgan leave me away from the stadium...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 12, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | November 12, 2008 4:28 PM

Dude, he's talking about parents of kids at Georgetown Day, Sidwell Friends, or Moret. They ARE serious about the Skins ... seriously righteously indignant about the mascot ... now pass the brie knife please ...

Posted by: dcsween | November 12, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

From Falls Church, I'd seriously think about Metro...it's Orange line with a simple transfer in town to the blue line out to Morgan Blvd (which is a mile from fedex, and right next to Lavar's bar and grill, so you can drop in and talk power rankings and bonus points).

Posted by: 4-12 | November 12, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 12, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Good to know you have your priorities straight. The nerve of these women...

HAIL!!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 12, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I do have to wonder about people who schedule social events for Sundays during football season, if the centerpiece of that event is not a football game.

I also wonder about the bizarre logic that says that just because someone decides to host an event and invites you, that you in turn should attend even though you have absolutely no desire to do so.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 12, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

typo ... Maret

Posted by: dcsween | November 12, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Or, had I hit refresh before typing, "what dcsween said"

Posted by: 4-12 | November 12, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

p.s. I just snorted Sprite out my nose after reading that post. Good stuff TE

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 12, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 12, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

See, now there's the good thing about living in Texas - people generally have the good sense to not schedule events during football games...

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 12, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

dc, how far away does getting off at Morgan leave me away from the stadium...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 12, 2008 4:33 PM

What 4-12 said (except that I didn't know that bit about LaVar's place being so close). Maybe a mile, or 1.5 ... its a nice mosey.

Posted by: dcsween | November 12, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

+++I think Jason Taylor is going to have a big day. Maybe 3 sacks.

Posted by: TheJury+++

We'd ALL love to see him triple his season total this Sunday.

Posted by: TheCork | November 12, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse