Kareem Moore could miss six weeks

News that safety Kareem Moore could miss as many as six weeks began to spread Sunday morning.

Moore was scheduled to undergo an MRI test on his right knee, though Coach Mike Shanahan isn't expected to discuss the results until Monday afternoon following practice. But players talk and word spread quickly that Moore's knee sprain will keep him off the football field for the time being.

"Pissed off because I just realize we lost a starting safty for awhile because of a fake punt in preseason," Phillip Daniels said on his Twitter feed Sunday.

While many coaches are reluctant to show trick plays in the preseason, they're not exactly uncommon. The Redskins, in fact, attempted one last preseason under Coach Jim Zorn.

Regardless, Moore indicated following the game that his injury was not caused by any hit on the play. "I was running and then I just felt something and then I just went down," Moore said. "I just felt kind of awkward on the play; no hit or anything."
Moore said following the game that it was a minor sprain -- "that's all" -- but team sources later revealed that the team fears he'll likely miss the season opener against Dallas.

His absence will cause some lineup shuffling. Moore is the only natural free safety on the roster. On the most recent depth chart, Reed Doughty and Anderson Russell are listed as the second- and third-team free safeties. But it's possible the team will shift Chris Horton over from strong safety and give him some reps while Moore recovers.

By Rick Maese  |  August 22, 2010; 1:35 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis seems likely to remain top running back
Next: Redskins' executive director of communications fired

Comments

Damn injuries...how's Sellers?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 22, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

How quickly Predator fell out of favor with the new regime. Here's hoping he can get back to that ball-hawkishness he displayed back when we were all horny for zorny.

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | August 22, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

So the Post Mortem of the Game is?

1) K.Moore - I'm actually glad to hear they are saying only 4-6 weeks; the way he was limping off the field and the look on his face said "I just blew out my ACL" and had me thinking the worst.

2) Albert Haynesworth - We know big fella...you still want to be traded.

3) McNabb - We saw a bit of the Jekyll and Hyde McNabb, but that's OK. The Ravens front 7 is the real deal, I'm glad to finally have a QB that's not afraid to take risks. SOme of those will be great big plays and some of them will be INTs. I can live with it. He looked like he was moving around well too.

4) WRs - Anthony Armstrong and Santana Moss look like the #1 and #2 guys.

5) Oline - Predictably up and down given the opponent. TW got tuned-up a couple times by Suggs which is good. He needs to get the feel of a ProBowl 3-4 OLB and get ready for DWare on Sept 12.

6) RBs - The Oline didn't give him much help, but LJ just looked "done". CP only had a couple carries, but he hit the hole hard and definitely looks like he knows what to do in this scheme.

7) LBs - The Ravens had success dinking and dunking passes to the RBs and TEs in our linebakcer's coverage. I fear this is going to be a weak spot for us.

8) Safeties - LL30 looked good. He and DHall helped create the turnover, and he stood up LeRon McClain on one play when they went head-to-head (as opposed to getting trucked over a-la B.Jacobs). He even had some decent coverage on the TEs.

Posted by: p1funk | August 22, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

to review, it's a .500 team that could swing a game or two in either direction depending on good or bad breaks.

moore's injury would be considered a bad break.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | August 22, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Redskin Ray's Top 5 Observations:

1- Kareem Moore not available for Dallas is bad news. I had asked earlier if we even have another true FS body type.

2- Haynesworth wants sympathy yet AH doesn't want to admit the condition is brought on because he was dieting to lose weight but not doing enough cardio work to be in shape

3- Rex Grossman looked awful; we can't have DMN go down w/ injury

4-Larry Johnson looked slow, tentative and to have hands of stone.

5- I love Andre Carter and his attitude in recent seasons. But boy, he sure looked out of place as a LB.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 22, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse