Kareem Moore's rehab ahead of schedule

Washington Redskins safety Kareem Moore said Sunday that he is ahead of schedule as he rehabilitates from a knee injury suffered in preseason.

Moore underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee on Aug. 23, two days after injuring it in the Redskins preseason loss to the Baltimore Ravens, and was expected to miss four to six weeks.

The third-year safety returned to the practice field last week in limited way, participating in some football-related drills. Moore said he has been doing straight-ahead running and agility drills.

"I'm definitely ahead, I know that for a fact," Moore said.

The 2008 sixth-round draft pick was unable to provide a timetable for his return, however, deferring to the training staff. Moore said he hoped he could be back for Week 2 or Week 3.

"That's up to them," Moore said. "I can't go till I'm 100 percent, so I'm making sure that everything is right, everything is healthy."

Veteran safety Reed Doughty started in Moore's place on Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys and registered five tackles (two solo) and one quarterback hit.

By Paul Tenorio  |  September 13, 2010; 3:30 PM ET
Categories:  Kareem Moore
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Josh Bidwell shaky at times in victory
Next: Mike Shanahan pleased with Trent Williams's game

Comments

Hope he can come back fast. I like Doughty and all but I dont feel comfortable with him playin FS.

Posted by: duncanrobee | September 13, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Todd Archer: Tony Romo feels like Cowboys' win was taken away from them

And you wonder why cowboy fans are so delusional.

Oh and Lebron left the game early according to the article, NOT surprising.

Posted by: Predator48 | September 13, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Kareem Moore's rehab ahead of schedule

Thank the sweet baby Jesus...I counted no less than 2 plays in which he would have picked Romo off if he were out there instead of Doughty. RD is a good character guy, solid on teams and a decent depth player but he lacks the athleticism to make impact plays.

Damn, it feels good to be a Skins fan right now...Skins are in 1st place and the Cowdungs get exposed for the frauds they are. Love it...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 13, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: duncanrobee | September 13, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

If the reports on Moore during the preseason were correct, then I can't wait to see him back there.

DHall played like an all-pro yesterday.

Carlos Rogers echoed Hall's performance like he did during his breakout 2008 season.

Landry looked every bit the top 10 pick he was supposed to be coming out of the draft.

The biggest weakspot yesterday was Doughty in coverage. If Moore is the real deal, this secondary will be scary good.

Posted by: psps23 | September 13, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Agree with most of the statements here...Psyched for moore to come back. Only thing I didnt like from our D last night was doughty.

Posted by: zjenks | September 13, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

"I like Doughty and all but I don't feel comfortable with him playin FS."

He's a functional stand-in, but I wonder if using K Barnes as a FS is such a bad idea.

How is a second year player learning a new position worse than a vet who's not the best at it?

Grilliams converted M Jenkins to FS, and got great results.

I'm wondering if K Barnes could deliver the same return if we use him as a FS.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 13, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

it'd be nice to have him back for the texans but there's almost no chance of that happening. stick with reed for now

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | September 13, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan was just asked about haynesworth's performance. He said that he played hard. I have to check the video to see if he was smiling when he said that.

He just slammed the FedEx beltway traffic saying that the trip outta there reminds him of an away game. Daaaamn!

We've been saying that around here for years coach.

Now call Li'l Danny into your office tomorrow and get him on that, pronto!

Posted by: Predator48 | September 13, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Smokeybear2 = Cowboys' blogs troll.

Fun stuff peeps; give it a whirl.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 13, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Doughty was suited for Blache's strict "stand here and only do XYZ" scheme.

He's not suited for Haslett's scheme where the safeties move around alot to disguise coverages and blitzes. He's just not athletic enough to get around in the open field and make the play.

Posted by: p1funk | September 13, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

My time is now!

beep beep

Posted by: beep-beep | September 13, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

If it's week 2 or week 3, make it week 3. We don't need more Malcolm Kellies on this team. Just get healthy and come back when @ 110%.

Posted by: Keiser | September 13, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Great win! Hail! Lost in the moment though, was the fact that Carlos Rogers dropped what should have been an easy interception to win the game (again.....). His inability to make great plays when they count will always relegate him to status of "OK, not great" NFL cornerback. Great players make great plays in big games. Still, a great victory though!

Posted by: pullgs4fun | September 13, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

.....Lost in the moment though, was the fact that Carlos Rogers dropped what should have been an easy interception to win the game ....

Wasn't lost on me. I was telling my wife that while we watched the game. Too many times that has happened.

Posted by: hand_of_doom | September 13, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

EXCEPT Ol' "manos de piedra" almost cost the Redskins the game with a dropped Int.

Posted by: TheCork | September 14, 2010 3:52 AM | Report abuse

Grilliams converted M Jenkins to FS, and got great results.

I'm wondering if K Barnes could deliver the same return if we use him as a FS.

POSTED BY: Mistamoe

Boy I just hope Haslet and Shanahan read the blog and take advantage of your swell idea.

But you know, my guess if that thought has occured to them, and they'd rather have someone else there.

But keep the ideas coming.

How about catching drills for Rogers?

And who was it last week absolutely thought Banks should be punt returning. Funny, Coach thought a vet might be better under the pressure.

Happy days are here again, kids. These guys ain't idiots.

Posted by: TheCork | September 14, 2010 3:58 AM | Report abuse

Landry saved the game in the first half.
But huge question: why do we start Doughty--who chases faster guys around for a living--over Horton?

Bring in Horton until Moore heals! Doughty is right time, right place, wrong athlete on the field.

Posted by: NYSkinsFan3 | September 14, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

The fact is Chris Horton should be stating over Doughty anyway. I mean Horton was in on the DHall strip and TD. Sorry I like Reed and he did an admirable job the year Sean was taken from up but he is now too much of a liability. Too slow and his lack of hearing can only make matters worse.

Posted by: russellpenmaniii | September 14, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Doughty is a more sure thing than Horton. Remember Horton getting burned for TDs? He was chomping on the same lure that Carlos Rogers was nibbling at a couple times (double move).

He's also not as sure a tackler as Doughty.

I guess they feel that Doughty KNOWING where he's supposed to be is better than Horton basically reading the QB's eyes. The problem is: Knowing and Being are two different things. Whatever.

I haven't seen Kareem Moore really play against top talent, so I'm not holding my breath that he's going to be much of an upgrage. I'd like to think he's going to be great, but I would base that upon what?

What you HOPE is that Doughty can make teams pay, because at this point, he is obviously the weakest link. Let's just hope he disappoints the Texans. Again, not holding my breath.

I don't even want to bring up the name of a certain FS who would elevate our Defensive secondary to probably the best in the league. May he rest in peace. Man, we would be just scary.

PS- Carlos Rogers will never learn to catch. Dude has serious eye-hand coordination deficiencies.

Posted by: Thinker_ | September 15, 2010 6:03 AM | Report abuse

and Kevin Barnes?

No Way.

Free Safety is WAY different from Corner Back. If Barnes has no experience at Safety, he'll be WAY worse than Smoot and that was ugly.

It aint all speed. It's brain speed, too. Doesn't do anybody any good if you take off with 4.2 speed in the wrong direction at the snap.

We'll be OK. Doughty is not very good, but he's not retarded. The errors I saw him make against the Cowboys were mental. He just hesitated. He was late picking up his man a couple of times, but it wasn't like people were just pulling away from him because he's so slow. After a film review, he'll see he lost two steps by thinking.

He just needs to get a pic to alleviate some of the heat back there, because, right now, that's where everyone will be trying to throw.

The good news is: Throwing there takes more time. Let's hope they don't have it.

Posted by: Thinker_ | September 15, 2010 6:11 AM | Report abuse