Lingering knee problems limit Kareem Moore

Free safety Kareem Moore played less than usual on defense in Sunday's game against the Chicago Bears because of lingering problems with his right knee, according to coach Mike Shanahan .

The third-year player underwent knee surgery after he was injured in the second preseason game against the Baltimore Ravens and has experienced swelling in the knee recently, Coach Mike Shanahan said.

"One of the reasons why he didn't play as much is he's still hurting," Shanahan said. "The knee swells up and we wanted to give him a little rest. We can see in practice that he tries to go but can't go full speed.

"We were afraid that if we played him too much, we might slow him down for an extended period of time. Playing him as much as we did, we felt like it would be a little bit better for him and our football team. He's such a tough guy, you've gotta keep him outta there. I thought he was more effective playing in a limited role 'cause of his knee."

Washington faces Detroit in Week 8 and then begins its bye week. The Redskins hope Moore's knee responds well during the break.

"You hope with the bye week coming up that it can heal up a little bit more," Shanahan said. Anytime you're out for about a month, and you come in and start playing as many plays as he did, there's a conditioning factor there.

"Might have played him a little bit too much in the beginning. Might have gotten him a little bit too sore. Hopefully, we can monitor that and keep him healthy."

By Jason Reid  | October 25, 2010; 4:56 PM ET
Categories:  Kareem Moore
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahan: Albert Haynesworth's best game with Redskins
Next: Shanahan says Jammal Brown is still recovering

Comments

First to say Doughty is disappointing. They need Moore to get healthy ASAP.

Posted by: dpc2003 | October 25, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

DC's O is currently 22nd (18.6 ppg), D is 9th (19 ppg), 2nd in turnover ratio (+8). The QB needs to step up: DM is 24th (76). HTTR

Posted by: Realness1 | October 25, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

The FIRST thing to do is get healthy. The bye week will help.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 25, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Got me a sack of bear, boy, got me a sack o' bear..I just wanna know what planet Troy Aikman is actually from -"I think that Hall can be beat on stop and go routes today.." Not, today, son, DEFINITELY not today..."That sliding in the endzone should have been flagged for excessive celebration.." First off , is there REALLY such a thing as "excessive celebration"?? Secondly, I don't think he watches much soccer, because every player that's ever scored a goal has celebrated like that..Maybe Troy needs a "Lavar -Tuneup" to knock him back in whack..

It's a win-win tonight, cuz if the 'Pokes win, the Giants will be sniffin' our rear...If the Giants win, the 'Girls will be in an unstoppable tailspin to Hell's Basement...Got me a sack of bear, boy, got me a sack of bear..

Posted by: frak | October 25, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

cowboy funeral tonite, don't forget to wear burgundy and gold

he-he-he

Posted by: hessone | October 25, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Tonight is simple, fellas.

We want the 'Girls to lose. We always want them to lose.

Not that we like the Giants. It's just that we don't need help from the 'Girls. See, we are gonna get to play the Giants twice this year and will be able to prove first-hand who gets to be #1 in the division.

So in the meantime, it's business as usual in Redskins Nation...which means we want the Girls to lose...always.

* Wade Phillips Rip

I was listening to a sound clip from Wade Phillips that they were playing on the radio about the game tonight. He was mumbling something like he was half-asleep, but I barely made out the words "will power" and "do our best" - I think it was his idea of a rousing and inspiring sound byte. As soon as the byte ended, the radio guys started laughing and ripping him. Wade Phillips is about as inspiring as under-cooked beans, and I can't believe anyone in their right mind could ever pick a Wade Phillips-coached team to go to a Superbowl, much less be competitive enough to win one.

Posted by: p1funk | October 25, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan has put the starting right tackle job up for grabs.

Shanahan said in his Monday press conference that the plan on Sunday against the Chicago Bears was to rotate right tackles Jammal Brown and Stephon Heyer, but Heyer sprained an ankle, putting the competition on hold.

"We were going to rotate a little bit more, we're going to rotate series, give both guys a chance to show what they can do," Shanahan said. "We thought Stephon played well enough when he did play to give him some more playing time. "

+++++++++++++++++++++++

That being said, Shanahan said that Brown and Heyer will continue to rotate going forward until one player distinguishes himself.

"There's competition all the time, especially when we set it up for guys to play series," Shanahan said.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 25, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan's great. There was praise for the win, but he's seriously ticked at how poorly the offense played Sunday. Nobody's crowing about a stolen win, and that's good coaching!

Posted by: pharrrrtt | October 25, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I can not cheer for the Cowboys!!!!!!!
I can not cheer for the Cowboys!!!!!!!
I can not cheer for the Cowboys!!!!!!!

I hate them!!!!!!
I hate them!!!!!!
I hate them!!!!!!

Posted by: TheJury | October 25, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

First to say Doughty is disappointing. They need Moore to get healthy ASAP.

Posted by: dpc2003 | October 25, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Doughty does alright man, I don't think Kareem Moore is all that great either.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | October 25, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Realness1:
"DC's O is currently 22nd (18.6 ppg)"

Actually, ranked 23rd in points.

If you take out the 2 defensive TDs, the O is actually giving us 16.6 ppg. It's pretty well in line with the past decade, though:

2009: 16.6 pts/game
2008: 16.6 pts/game
2007: 20.0 pts/game
2006: 19.2 pts/game
2005: 22.4 pts/game
2004: 15.0 pts/game
2003: 17.9 pts/game
2002: 19.2 pts/game
2001: 16.0 pts/game
2000: 17.6 pts/game

Posted by: Alan4 | October 25, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

move k barnes to fs!!!

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | October 25, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

The kiss of death on that team is Norv.
Posted by: dpc2003

Why do so many of us get such pleasure from seeing Norv fail? Maybe it's because we want to be proven right when we call him one of the most overrated head coaches of all time. Maybe it was the seven years of sloppy play and lack of discipline, or his stubbornness in keeping his buddy McDaniels when our teams play was always horrible.

But we should get over it and wish him well. Everyone says he's a real nice guy. Then again, nah!

Posted by: NYPDee | October 25, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Note to frak: Yeah i wasn't beleiving that krap that Troy Aikman was talking what happened to being impartial? just report on the game not on what you want to happen,D.Hall played a great game yesterday but Troy had obviously put a few coin's on the game and was not happy with the outcome basically determined by D.Hall and his four picks the only thing that could have been worse is if the sanctimonious Joe Buck(Troy's normal booth partner)had been there.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 25, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

They need to make a decision about Brown. He's playing on his RFA tender and will be a UFA this offseason.

Guess they want to see him earn a contract.

Posted by: p1funk | October 25, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

First to say Doughty is disappointing. They need Moore to get healthy ASAP.

Posted by: dpc2003 | October 25, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Doughty does alright man, I don't think Kareem Moore is all that great either.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | October 25, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse
_______

I like Doughty - he's had a rough go of it since he got here, with his son's illness, some pretty serious medical issues of his own, and that little part about having to replace a two-time pro bowler, all-pro, and budding legend. But he's about what I would expect from a late round safety who sticks around: comparatively little athletic ability, but works hard and doesn't make too many mistakes that stem from him not knowing what to do. He just gets out performed by better players most of the time. His problem is that, at the end of the day, he's just not a starting-quality safety. Good, useful guy to have around on the team, but there's no way he should be starting. None of our guys at this spot are top-shelf. I expect Shanny to somehow bring in someone new next season, whether via draft or free agency, to pair with LaRon Landry.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | October 25, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Tonight is simple, fellas.

We want the 'Girls to lose. We always want them to lose.

Posted by: p1funk | October 25, 2010 5:18 PM |

- I trillionth that -

Posted by: hessone | October 25, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

most over rated redskins = kareem moore

Has proven as musch as devin thomas and malcolm kelly

good job opti-bussers

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 25, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

First to say Doughty is disappointing. They need Moore to get healthy ASAP.

Posted by: dpc2003 | October 25, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Doughty does alright man, I don't think Kareem Moore is all that great either.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | October 25, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I agree. Doughty is alright.

...as long as we don't ask him to make plays in coverage...

Posted by: p1funk | October 25, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I can not cheer for the Cowboys!!!!!!!
I can not cheer for the Cowboys!!!!!!!
I can not cheer for the Cowboys!!!!!!!

I hate them!!!!!!
I hate them!!!!!!
I hate them!!!!!!

Posted by: TheJury | October 25, 2010 5:21 PM |

now repeat after TheJury

Posted by: hessone | October 25, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Green Bay lucked out a little bit last night... NFL told Brad Childress that Visanthe Shiancoe's TD should've stood. They kicked a FG instead, and lost by those 4 points... I saw that yesterday, I can't believe they said it wasn't a TD. That sucks. Bad day for the refs yesterday. Also cost Miami a win.

Posted by: rachel216 | October 25, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

2009: 16.6 pts/game
2008: 16.6 pts/game
2007: 20.0 pts/game
2006: 19.2 pts/game
2005: 22.4 pts/game
2004: 15.0 pts/game
2003: 17.9 pts/game
2002: 19.2 pts/game
2001: 16.0 pts/game
2000: 17.6 pts/game

Posted by: Alan4 | October 25, 2010 5:27 PM

Alan, I have put the record down for each year. The points per game could be misleading. They averaged same points per game in 2008 and 2009 but look at our record. I think the bottom line is just win. I don't care if its an ugly win or a pretty win. If its 3-0 or 38-10. It doesn't matter.

2010: 18.6 pts/game 4-3
2009: 16.6 pts/game 4-12
2008: 16.6 pts/game 8-8
2007: 20.0 pts/game 9-7
2006: 19.2 pts/game 5-11
2005: 22.4 pts/game 10-6
2004: 15.0 pts/game 6-10
2003: 17.9 pts/game 5-11
2002: 19.2 pts/game 7-9
2001: 16.0 pts/game 8-8
2000: 17.6 pts/game 8-8

Posted by: TheJury | October 25, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Guess they want to see him earn a contract.

Posted by: p1funk | October 25, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

He got hurt last year, didn't finish, and he sucks this year, AND when he introduces himself he acts like a bigger doosh than anyone up here (including me). I would say easy decision, vet minimum or bye bye

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 25, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

First to say Doughty is disappointing. They need Moore to get healthy ASAP.

Posted by: dpc2003 | October 25, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Doughty does alright man, I don't think Kareem Moore is all that great either.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | October 25, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I agree. Doughty is alright.

...as long as we don't ask him to make plays in coverage...

Posted by: p1funk | October 25, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

and moore is alright unless you ask him to play the run

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 25, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

It's real simple, Moore is better in coverage, Doughty is better in run support, neither one is fast, athletic, or strong enough to be the complete top shelf package that you want back there.

Look for the FS position to be addressed in the offseason.

Posted by: 72Redskins | October 25, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | October 25, 2010 5:18 PM

A-friggin'-men.

It absolutely never fails to crack me up when all these media talking heads get morning wood over teams like the Chargers and Cowboys and Vikings for their immense talent level, and then promptly fail to see who's running the operation. There will NEVER be a team led by Phillips, Turner, or Childress that will win a SB. I'd bet the house on that. If you don't have a top notch coach and a top tier QB, you've got nothin' if SB glory is the goal.

On the Kareem Moore tip...I was wondering why I was seeing a lot of Doughty on Sunday. Love him as a depth guy, a special teamer and as a person but that dude is a total liability in coverage. Hopefully, Moore gets better soon and Landry isn't bouncing potential INTs 40 feet into the air off his helmet...

Good to see Alan4 is letting this whole offense thing go...keep pushing that boulder uphill, dude...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 25, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

If its 3-0 or 38-10. It doesn't matter.

2010: 18.6 pts/game 4-3
2009: 16.6 pts/game 4-12
2008: 16.6 pts/game 8-8
2007: 20.0 pts/game 9-7
2006: 19.2 pts/game 5-11
2005: 22.4 pts/game 10-6
2004: 15.0 pts/game 6-10
2003: 17.9 pts/game 5-11
2002: 19.2 pts/game 7-9
2001: 16.0 pts/game 8-8
2000: 17.6 pts/game 8-8
Posted by: TheJury

Yeah, but it's no coincidence that our 2 best records were in the years that we scored 20 points or better. We have to get to the point where we break that barrier consistently.

Posted by: NYPDee | October 25, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Look for the FS position to be addressed in the offseason.
Posted by: 72Redskins

Moore hasn't been given a real chance to show what he can do when completely healthy. It would be nice to upgrade that position, but if he plays well down the stretch after the bye we should look to fill a lot of other holes first.

I know the Hall lovers will disagree, but I really think we need a CB before we need a FS. Buchanon has GOT to go, and Rogers may or may not return.

Posted by: NYPDee | October 25, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse